Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peterson or Khan?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingEinstein
Who has the better KO win between Matthysse's stoppage of Lamont in the 3rd? Or The Swift One's stoppage of Khan in the 4th?

I'll start with and say both are ties but Garcias win edges it since he was not the favorite or even close on the betting odds. Khan was #1 at 140 at the time and Khans resume spoke volumes. Khan is/was the better more talented fighter but Garcia found a way to win (thanks in part to Khans chin, Angel getting Khan angry, and Danny's timing/counter left hooks). So what ya got?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 22 2013, 04:48 PM) *
Who has the better KO win between Matthysse's stoppage of Lamont in the 3rd? Or The Swift One's stoppage of Khan in the 4th?

I'll start with and say both are ties but Garcias win edges it since he was not the favorite or even close on the betting odds. Khan was #1 at 140 at the time and Khans resume spoke volumes. Khan is/was the better more talented fighter but Garcia found a way to win (thanks in part to Khans chin, Angel getting Khan angry, and Danny's timing/counter left hooks). So what ya got?

Danny's. When he hit Khan w/ the first hook, it looked like someone hit the "slow mo" option in production.
daprofessor
what were the odds in matthysse/peterson?

in both instances....i knew danny and lucas would win for different reasons.

not to diminish danny's win...but i picked him by ko because i knew

-khan had done back to back camps (remember the peterson fight fell through because of positive testing)
-globe trotting with roach/pac in the philippines to the uk then back to the u.s.
-not having freddie there with him for a portion of the camp
-having a new s&c coach who didn't know shit about boxing

i also watched his sparring prior to the fight and he looked like pure shit and was trading waaaay too much. i knew it would lead to disaster against danny.

in the situation with lucas....

-i knew peterson couldn't/wouldn't box the whole 12 rounds (or at least for the first half of the fight to take some of the steam out of lucas
-i also knew peterson wouldn't have the punching power to get respect from lucas
-i knew he would sit in the pocket and block and trade...

all of that would lead to peterson getting ktfo'd.

if i had to say one was better than the other....i'd say matthysse's win was much more impressive because we've seen khan hurt or stopped before. peterson has never been dominated like this.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 22 2013, 10:26 PM) *
what were the odds in matthysse/peterson?

in both instances....i knew danny and lucas would win for different reasons.

not to diminish danny's win...but i picked him by ko because i knew

-khan had done back to back camps (remember the peterson fight fell through because of positive testing)
-globe trotting with roach/pac in the philippines to the uk then back to the u.s.
-not having freddie there with him for a portion of the camp
-having a new s&c coach who didn't know shit about boxing

i also watched his sparring prior to the fight and he looked like pure shit and was trading waaaay too much. i knew it would lead to disaster against danny.

in the situation with lucas....

-i knew peterson couldn't/wouldn't box the whole 12 rounds (or at least for the first half of the fight to take some of the steam out of lucas
-i also knew peterson wouldn't have the punching power to get respect from lucas
-i knew he would sit in the pocket and block and trade...

all of that would lead to peterson getting ktfo'd.

if i had to say one was better than the other....i'd say matthysse's win was much more impressive because we've seen khan hurt or stopped before. peterson has never been dominated like this.

this. Also I think Khans S&C coach was Hayes.

Also Khan got up and countered Garcia fairly effectively, while Peterson seemed to go down from every big punch.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 06:39 PM) *

Also Khan got up and countered Garcia fairly effectively, while Peterson seemed to go down from every big punch.

i don't know who hayes is....but he clearly has no understanding of strength and conditioning for boxing. amir has been very top heavy for his last few fights.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 12:55 AM) *
i don't know who hayes is....but he clearly has no understanding of strength and conditioning for boxing. amir has been very top heavy for his last few fights.

I swear Khan wants to be KOing machine, that's why he's getting involved in these mini wars. He brawls like he has something to prove in that area.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 08:04 PM) *
I swear Khan wants to be KOing machine, that's why he's getting involved in these mini wars. He brawls like he has something to prove in that area.

when he boxes....it's beautiful. if he would add defense to what he does and stop trying to land 10 punch combinations...he could have a long successful career. problem is...he thinks he knows.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 01:21 AM) *
when he boxes....it's beautiful. if he would add defense to what he does and stop trying to land 10 punch combinations...he could have a long successful career. problem is...he thinks he knows.

probably, needs to stop relying on that speed of his. But I think he wants to prove he can hang in there with the best of em brawling wise. Very easy to get under his skin.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 07:52 PM) *
probably, needs to stop relying on that speed of his. But I think he wants to prove he can hang in there with the best of em brawling wise. Very easy to get under his skin.

dude really has nothing to prove. all he needs to do is win and stop reading his press coverage....and just stop talking period. laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 22 2013, 07:39 PM) *

Not to mention Peterson has the better chin, which makes it more impressive. And khan was more responsive after getting dropped the last time, Peterson looked more done. Matth has some god Damn sledge hammers at the emd of his arms.

But the odds and the manner in which khan got ko d the first time was much more dramatic. Not to mention swift, who was landing hard shots, was getting lit up until that point. It just added to excitement
Franchize
I'm going to go with Matthysse. It just looked like he knew, no matter what Lamont was throwing, that he was getting ready to knock him the fuck out. Not to discredit Danny's win, but nobody can convince me he didn't just wing that hook out of desperation and hit the jackpot.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 23 2013, 12:22 AM) *
I'm going to go with Matthysse. It just looked like he knew, no matter what Lamont was throwing, that he was getting ready to knock him the fuck out. Not to discredit Danny's win, but nobody can convince me he didn't just wing that hook out of desperation and hit the jackpot.

are u talking about the hook that dropped khan?
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 02:00 PM) *
are u talking about the hook that dropped khan?

The first one...yes.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 23 2013, 01:15 PM) *
The first one...yes.

i suggest going back and watching that fight again. he was trying to time that shot and was very close a few times before he landed. make no mistake about it...he knew what he was trying to do.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 03:50 PM) *
i suggest going back and watching that fight again. he was trying to time that shot and was very close a few times before he landed. make no mistake about it...he knew what he was trying to do.

I'm with you on that, same hook he hit morales with also. But that one was out of desperation, khan got hit in chest a few times before he got dropped hard.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 23 2013, 03:16 PM) *
I'm with you on that, same hook he hit morales with also. But that one was out of desperation, khan got hit in chest a few times before he got dropped hard.

desperation? hardly. i'm not in the group that thinks khan was dominating. khan was landing some shots...but danny was picking stuff off and landing some of his own as well. i sort of saw like he was setting a trap for khan. that's what good counter punchers do.
Marcus
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 22 2013, 11:52 PM) *
Not to mention Peterson has the better chin, which makes it more impressive. And khan was more responsive after getting dropped the last time, Peterson looked more done. Matth has some god Damn sledge hammers at the emd of his arms.

But the odds and the manner in which khan got ko d the first time was much more dramatic. Not to mention swift, who was landing hard shots, was getting lit up until that point. It just added to excitement

Peterson did take a few hard pucnhes to the back of his head though. I didnt notice until i watched the figth for the second time. Not discrediting Matthysse. Peterson got taken out his game plan WAY to easy. Im sure if he wouldve boxed outside like he was doing in round one and moved he couldve edged it out..
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 04:56 PM) *
desperation? hardly. i'm not in the group that thinks khan was dominating. khan was landing some shots...but danny was picking stuff off and landing some of his own as well. i sort of saw like he was setting a trap for khan. that's what good counter punchers do.

I was talking about the first morales fight.

I agreed with you about the khan hook. As for the counter punching and timing I completely agree, I could feel him thinking in there while khan was not thinking and just firing off wildly.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2013, 03:50 PM) *

I've seen that fight numerous times. Khan was landing at will but he went to the well too many times and got sloppy. Danny knew Khan was getting greedy and had no chin so he decided to let one fly. Khan's dumb ass, in typical Freddy Roach Fighter mode, showed no ring generalship. Typical modern day fighter, throwing combinations and then standing in harms way admiring his work instead of using footwork to get out of the way.
sduck
Well I felt like I knew Peterson was going to get his ass whooped, but coming into the Khan-Garcia fight, I was surprised that Garcia had conquered Khan, when Khan clearly had the advantage.

Also, Khan's defeat is the result of his own mistakes, as usual, he threw a risky uppercut from a lunging distance, and you're taught to counter it with a left hook, as Danny professionally applied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.