Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV/CC: Mayweather vs Alvarez Sept 14th!-Preview and Poll
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
The Original MrFactor
ADMIN UPDATE: Fight will be shown on BOTH PPV and Closed Circuit Locations. Cost of PPV should range from $65-$75 dollars. Cost of Closed Circuit should range from $15 to $25 dollars. You can find closed circuit theater locations, along with ticket information here:

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!mayweather-vs-canelo

FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS CANELO ALVAREZ PPV/CC-September 14, 2013

Its reported that its a done deal. Yaaaay!!! Thats one I'll pay to see, fight party and all. Floyd gets respect for taking this one.
karmine20
Does a win against Canelo Alvarez solidify Floyd Money Mayweather Jr as one of the G.O.A.T. or is this still cherry picking as some continue to suggest?
aTYpicalTYrant
I honestly believe Little Orphan Annie (Shout out to Dolimite) gets exposed here..... His lack of stamina is going to kill him against Mayweather. After round 6 I expect him to be embarrassed.
pimpfighterROQ
they said this fight is a catchweight of 152 pounds for the unification of WBA/WBC.

Floyd haters will comment soon about this....
Marcus
QUOTE (karmine20 @ May 29 2013, 10:40 PM) *
Does a win against Canelo Alvarez solidify Floyd Money Mayweather Jr as one of the G.O.A.T. or is this still cherry picking as some continue to suggest?

Not my personal arguments Im pleased. I couldn't ask for more but heres what i expect.

Arguments against this fight that critics will have:

Taking place at a CATCHWEIGHT of 152.

Canelos to young/inexperienced at 22.

Just like Pacquiao fought Cotto at a CW since Mayweather is fighting Canelo at a CW technically regardless of the outcome Canelo will remian undefeated since he would be "drained" accoridng to mayweathers argument against pacquaio. (although canleos rehydration doesnt match in comparison to cottos)

WBA Super/ WBA regular belt on the line = DAFUQ?!

The Catchweight argument is understandable because Floyd stoned pacquiao with that argument. Now look. Very Hypocritical. Im not mad though. I rather Floyd have put a rehydration clause rather than a catchweight just for the sake of haters being mad that he's taking 2 pounds away from a guy that will come in at 170+ on fight night.
KOpower
Boom. CW? Interesting. Will the people that ripped Manny now rip Floyd?

Mayweather wins 116-112 in a fight that is similar to the one he had with Cotto.
KOpower
No but this was the fight that had to be made. I am happy. It,should be a good challenge for Floyd.
iAmDuddyLuciano

I already had him being the G.O.A.T, people just don't give him the credit that he truly deserves, he basically fought EVERYBODY that was a major threat to him except for MP.
The only reason that fight didn't get made because he with Top Rank & we all know that Top Rank don't do business with Golden Boy; if MP wasn't under contract with Top Rank then the fight would've been made already.
I'm just sick of people saying Floyd is scared of Manny when Floyd got all the tools to destroy him way more than Marquez did.
But back to the point, I think Canelo is a bigger threat to beat Floyd than Manny, a younger more stronger fight that have more skills than Manny. Even though I think this fight will be an easy win for Floyd simply because Floyd is the faster more slicker fighter & Canelo have stamina issues, simply because he walks around 170+ and drain himself to make weight at 154, he fighting smaller guys when he should be fighting pure middle weights.
But after this win, people are just going to come up with excuses like "Canelo is too inexperience" etc there's always gonna be an excuse because people just don't want to admit that Floyd is the best fighter ever.
Musashi100
floyd a hypcrite but i'm fine with it being at 152. seems like a weight both fighters can feel comfortable at. we know canelo will blow up 154+ so he ain't worry about it.
Dolimite
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ May 29 2013, 06:43 PM) *
I honestly believe Little Orphan Annie (Shout out to Dolimite) gets exposed here..... His lack of stamina is going to kill him against Mayweather. After round 6 I expect him to be embarrassed.

Thanks bro!

The catch weight is fucking two pounds off the jr. middle weight limit. This will ensure that Orphan Annie can't re hydrate to 180 on fight night. Good deal, I wonder what all the nay sayers have to say now. My boy Cshels is 0-2. he said Pac would fight Marquez and May would not fight Alvarez! Dude pick up a bottle of the Kracken and let's get it crackin! Guess good Bob has to move his fight with Bradley and Juan to another date! HA! This announcement just made Rios and Manny look sub par! FUCK I LOVE BOXING!!!! This will be a great year for the sport! Then we get to see Mayweather against the winner of Danny and Lucas next year, hell yes!
Jack 1000
Floyd by UD 116-112 in a fight similar to Mayweather's fight with Cotto.

Jack
Dolimite
The undercard should have Ortiz vs. Guerrero in a barn burner

Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse!

That would be BIG!
Marcus
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 29 2013, 11:36 PM) *
Thanks bro!

The catch weight is fucking two pounds off the jr. middle weight limit. This will ensure that Orphan Annie can't re hydrate to 180 on fight night. Good deal, I wonder what all the nay sayers have to say now. My boy Cshels is 0-2. he said Pac would fight Marquez and May would not fight Alvarez! Dude pick up a bottle of the Kracken and let's get it crackin! Guess good Bob has to move his fight with Bradley and Juan to another date! HA! This announcement just made Rios and Manny look sub par! FUCK I LOVE BOXING!!!! This will be a great year for the sport! Then we get to see Mayweather against the winner of Danny and Lucas next year, hell yes!

Dont forget Garcia Matthysse goes down 9/7 the saturday before Mayweather Canelo!!!!! And then Cotto Plans his return on 9/28! And one of the Charlo Twins will be on the Mayweather undercard.

I hope Abner Mares Fights Jayson Velez as the co main event.
Genius
Canelo should come in over the catch weight just like Floyd did to JMM.

Canelo by close debatable decision...
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (Genius @ May 29 2013, 11:56 PM) *
Canelo should come in over the catch weight just like Floyd did to JMM.

Canelo by close debatable decision...

I wonder what the penalTY would be? No bullshit I'd laugh my ass off if he did that though
juanpa7550
I hope they go all out on the undercard.

I have no official prediction until at least all access, but here are my thoughts so far.

Canelo has speed, fast reflexes, and hits very hard. He is young and has experience. His achelles heel is his stamina.

Floyd is good at everything but lacks knockout power, which probably means Floyd wont be able to stop Canelo from coming forward.

Bet on Floyd to play it safe, but there is a first time for everything.

Im leaning towards a canelo win K.O. it may be a punch Floyd doesn't see coming. probably a fast counter.......
hitman
well floyd is a complete hypocrite for demanding the CW but fuck it, i'm excited. floyd UD.
checkleft
I'm waiting on ring size and drug testing. I wouldn't put it past gbp to make this in a phonebooth and try to give canelo every advantage possible, hope they are testing to. No way ginger looks normal without some diaurretics
sduck
Don't like the catchweight, but what the haters got to say now? I was honestly surprised to hear the news and I'm definitely excited for this.
aTYpicalTYrant
Marquez/Bradley JUST got officially moved to 12 October 2013. That was fast as hell.
iAmDuddyLuciano
I'm kinda surprised that this fight is happening already, but then again who was Floyd suppose to fight?
Since Alexander broke his hand the last fight & Danny Garcia and Lucas M are fighting in September.
Canelo was the only fighter available for Floyd and a big one at that, but I think this fight would be a bit easy for Floyd not just saying that because I'm a fan, but Canelo lacks stamina and I think the first 5 rounds will be exciting after that Floyd will take over when Canelo slows down a bit.
It's crazy that Canelo is only 22 and already fighting on this level of competition I gotta give it up to him the kid have skills, but I don't think his skills is ready for Floyd though. This fight is a win/win for Canelo especially if he loses in a close fight once again he's only 22! Not even in his prime yet, got so many years to polish his goods, right now this fight is going to be a learning experience for him, he wanted the big dog & he going to get it! By the time he's in his mid 20's he should be fighting in middle weight. The kid is killing himself to make 154 by the time he get up in age his body won't take no more body draining.
So that means he will be finally fighting fighter his size, like Andre Ward, Triple G, Martinez, Froch, etc etc all them fighters have a very good chance exposing him, that's when we will see what he's really made of.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Marcus @ May 29 2013, 08:51 PM) *
Dont forget Garcia Matthysse goes down 9/7 the saturday before Mayweather Canelo!!!!! And then Cotto Plans his return on 9/28! And one of the Charlo Twins will be on the Mayweather undercard.

I hope Abner Mares Fights Jayson Velez as the co main event.

The Charlo twins will be on this undercard! Thank you God!!!!! I love those boys, to me that is the future of boxing.

I don't mind the catch weight simply because Saul is a middle weight and guess what he made everyone come up two weight classes higher to fight him. Plus he was talking all that shit on how he won't drop from 154. This is a lesson on why you do not negotiate in public. If Saul signed it then hey no complaints right? Right.
Marcus
QUOTE (juanpa7550 @ May 30 2013, 12:03 AM) *
I hope they go all out on the undercard.

I have no official prediction until at least all access, but here are my thoughts so far.

Canelo has speed, fast reflexes, and hits very hard. He is young and has experience. His achelles heel is his stamina.

Floyd is good at everything but lacks knockout power, which probably means Floyd wont be able to stop Canelo from coming forward.

Bet on Floyd to play it safe, but there is a first time for everything.

Im leaning towards a canelo win K.O. it may be a punch Floyd doesn't see coming. probably a fast counter.......

This isn't Pac Marquez 4 buddy
juanpa7550
QUOTE (Marcus @ May 29 2013, 11:59 PM) *
This isn't Pac Marquez 4 buddy

Yeah I know. Its boxing anything can happen
pimpfighterROQ
Oh man, which ppv to buy now? I wanted PacRios but now Mayweather Canelo is more interesting....I limited myself to one ppv fight per year lol.
JammyJam
I'm actually surprised, logical thinking would have been to build the fight a lil more with both getting one more dominant win. I think this pic will be like 1.7 or 1.8 mill but I think if it happened in May it could do over 2 mill. The catch weight sucks, Mayweather is letting his haters live. If he handles Canelo pretty easily anyone think we might get a Mayweather vs Martinez?
mrwigi
I think this fight will look more like the fight he had with Baldomir rather than cotto. Floyd is going to dance, and box on the outside just like he did against the likes of so many others. The event will be big, but I dont think Saul is in the same class as Mayweather, and he has definitely never been in the ring with someone who has the same in ring intelligence as mayweather. Canelo will be chasing Floyd around the ring all night. Cornering him occasionally, but never really being able to land an effective shot.

As far as the weight, I took think he should have added a re hydration clause as opposed to having the fight at a catch weight. Floyd will probably weigh 151 on fight night, and with the catch weight clause, Saul will probably come in as a super middleweight.
mitukczuk
Is anyone at all interested more in what it means, rather than who Floyd fights? I don't really give a damn about Canelo, but the fact Floyd just got himself a guaranteed 40 milion makes this fight a win even if he loses. Goddamn that guy is good....40 million minimum.....
mrchitown
The stamina issue that Canelo as will do him in, that and the fact that he's defensivley not up to par. Sure he made improvements against Trout but there were times as in many Canelo fights where he was getting hit with silly, unnecessary shots. It's not out of the realm of possibility for Canelo to come out victorious. After all he's young with quick reflexes and heavy hands. But he's inexperienced. I got Floyd by UD, I said I would be shocked if he fought Canelo in September and I am. After this fight people will recognize Floyd as one of the GOAT's
jtiizzle
Tough fight for both, I think Floyd will be uncomfortable having a guy that big on his ass, I mean he weight 172 last fight the 2lbs mean what he will be a even 170 lol, that's huge for Floyd at 36. But you can't go against money may I got Floyd winner by split decision, he may taste the canvas in this one though, just ask yourself this question does Floyd hit harder then trout? Trout is much bigger and couldn't keep Canelo off him, tough fight props to Floyd fighting a young lion
mitukczuk
Since when beating a 22 year old dude who has fought only 2 guys with somewhat a name, secure one a GOAT status? biggrin.gif Can somebody explain that to me? I don't give a damn if I sound like a fan boy but this stuff is beyond me. Floyd is one of the GOATs because of the things he has already done in the sport - testing, earnings, record, resume..and skillwise? My oh my....is he good. Say what you will, but Floyd doesn't need Canelo to be considered as one of the GOATs. Had it been someone with for example Marquez's resume (of course translated into Jr MW)...i wouldnt say a word.....but Canelo? Please....He is a champion, not the gate keeper.
scdrking2
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 30 2013, 02:43 AM) *
The stamina issue that Canelo as will do him in, that and the fact that he's defensivley not up to par. Sure he made improvements against Trout but there were times as in many Canelo fights where he was getting hit with silly, unnecessary shots. It's not out of the realm of possibility for Canelo to come out victorious. After all he's young with quick reflexes and heavy hands. But he's inexperienced. I got Floyd by UD, I said I would be shocked if he fought Canelo in September and I am. After this fight people will recognize Floyd as one of the GOAT's

Agree with much of this. I think you see a fight were Canelo is pressed. We see how he fights every round in spurts. I think Floyd uses his legs and makes Canelo move to get his offense going. When Canelo takes his foot off the gas, you will see Floyd become more aggressive and make Canelo move and defend. This strategy would make Canelo physically active and constantly thinking for full rounds. By the time the 6th round rolls around, his legs will be shot and he will be a standing target. His newfound head movement will slow and he will move straight line forwards and backwards and eat plenty of straight rights.

For a young guy, his stamina has been poor against guys over whom he holds a lot of physical advantage and who dont put him in positions of having to think constantly in the ring. I think Floyds mental pressure compounds his lack of physical stamina and the second half of the fight will look nothing like the first.

I also dont like the catch weight, as it gives more room for dissenters, but Floyds team is correct and proper in trying to do something to ensure he isnt giving up 25 pounds plus on fight night.
jtiizzle
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ May 30 2013, 03:58 AM) *
Agree with much of this. I think you see a fight were Canelo is pressed. We see how he fights every round in spurts. I think Floyd uses his legs and makes Canelo move to get his offense going. When Canelo takes his foot off the gas, you will see Floyd become more aggressive and make Canelo move and defend. This strategy would make Canelo physically active and constantly thinking for full rounds. By the time the 6th round rolls around, his legs will be shot and he will be a standing target. His newfound head movement will slow and he will move straight line forwards and backwards and eat plenty of straight rights.

For a young guy, his stamina has been poor against guys over whom he holds a lot of physical advantage and who dont put him in positions of having to think constantly in the ring. I think Floyds mental pressure compounds his lack of physical stamina and the second half of the fight will look nothing like the first.

I also dont like the catch weight, as it gives more room for dissenters, but Floyds team is correct and proper in trying to do something to ensure he isnt giving up 25 pounds plus on fight night.

Dude honestly he should have just fought the fight at 154. 152 is pretty much useless he came into the trout fight at 153 and ended up at 172 lol, if he used a catch weight atleast make it 150 I don't see the point In 152
xxxxxx
Cheers to Mayweather and Alvarez for making this Superfight happen!
Franchize
I'm a big Mayweather fan, but I think he's making a mistake fighting Canelo in September. He's basically going to fight a light heavyweight.
mgrover
Erm good? I don't know anymore. I'll watch it, not too happy about the CW, but it's fine, when people credit this, they can go ahead and credit Pac since really people are judged by the level of there peers so.

Mayweather schools this kid, he'll come in like Chavez did and he'll be sluggishhh
Cshel86
Somebody needs to be checking on Austin Trout right now, to make sure he isn't trying to take himself out of the game (translation: trying to kill himself). I cant STAND Austin Trout, and this serves him right...you fight like a wimp when the cards are stacked against you in the biggest fight of your career, and you'll end up eating crumbs. I bet he feels just as bad as Berto did after the Ortiz loss.

Anyhow, I'm glad guys can stop whining about this fight "needing" to happen to save boxing, or whatever they say nowadays. It's signed, it's going down on Sept. 14th, and hopefully as a poster, we wont have to see you again until another big fight comes around. In the meantime, I'm focused on the upcoming fights this summer...September is a loooong way from now...especially if you're planning on attending. Lol.

Speaking of that, whose actually planning on trying to get decent seats to this fight? These tickets are gonna sell fast, so I may settle for getting tickets to Garcia/Matthysse (if it happens), or maybe the Bradley/Marquez fight in October. Hell, in October, my money should be back on track after paying for Mayweather/Canelo from the previous month. Lol
Franchize
I don't get why people are complaining about the catchweight. It's not like he's making him come down to 147. It's 152. Canelo is going to be like 180 on fight night anyway lol.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 30 2013, 12:46 AM) *
I don't mind the catch weight simply because Saul is a middle weight and guess what he made everyone come up two weight classes higher to fight him. Plus he was talking all that shit on how he won't drop from 154. This is a lesson on why you do not negotiate in public. If Saul signed it then hey no complaints right? Right.

So you don't mind the catchweight stuff if Floyd does it, but wait...weren't you just bashing Manny in another thread about catchweights? Yall kill me with this stuff.

QUOTE (JammyJam @ May 30 2013, 01:17 AM) *
I'm actually surprised, logical thinking would have been to build the fight a lil more with both getting one more dominant win. I think this pic will be like 1.7 or 1.8 mill but I think if it happened in May it could do over 2 mill. The catch weight sucks, Mayweather is letting his haters live. If he handles Canelo pretty easily anyone think we might get a Mayweather vs Martinez?

I figured that they would let it build a little bit more too. Canelo just came off a big win over Trout, and Floyd just returned to the ring and looked sharp as ever...so I guess that struck the iron while it was hot. I'm not sure about 1.7 - 1.8 million buys...that's not the easiest thing to do, especially that 2M buys. The only fight out there with the capability of doing those numbers, is the "biggest fight that never happened".

QUOTE (jtiizzle @ May 30 2013, 05:07 AM) *
Tough fight for both, I think Floyd will be uncomfortable having a guy that big on his ass, I mean he weight 172 last fight the 2lbs mean what he will be a even 170 lol, that's huge for Floyd at 36. But you can't go against money may I got Floyd winner by split decision, he may taste the canvas in this one though, just ask yourself this question does Floyd hit harder then trout? Trout is much bigger and couldn't keep Canelo off him, tough fight props to Floyd fighting a young lion

I'm not even sure if Canelo comes into the fight at 170+ lbs like he did for the Trout fight. He usually steps in at about 166 or 167, so I'm assuming that he rehydrated that high, because Trout's a big fighter...too bad he didn't fight like one. Lol

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 30 2013, 06:05 AM) *
Since when beating a 22 year old dude who has fought only 2 guys with somewhat a name, secure one a GOAT status? biggrin.gif Can somebody explain that to me? I don't give a damn if I sound like a fan boy but this stuff is beyond me. Floyd is one of the GOATs because of the things he has already done in the sport - testing, earnings, record, resume..and skillwise? My oh my....is he good. Say what you will, but Floyd doesn't need Canelo to be considered as one of the GOATs. Had it been someone with for example Marquez's resume (of course translated into Jr MW)...i wouldnt say a word.....but Canelo? Please....He is a champion, not the gate keeper.

Gee...I wonder what gave you away. Hmmm. Relax Mit...

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 30 2013, 08:34 AM) *
Erm good? I don't know anymore. I'll watch it, not too happy about the CW, but it's fine, when people credit this, they can go ahead and credit Pac since really people are judged by the level of there peers so.

Mayweather schools this kid, he'll come in like Chavez did and he'll be sluggishhh

Right. You'd think that people would let up off of Pac by now, but hey, that's how boxing goes. Though he habitually drained fighters, Floyd, in a sense, is "just as guilty" since he's at this big stage of his career, where everybody notices it. I cant recall many casual fans harping on the JMM catchweight, but this one is more public.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2013, 08:05 AM) *

biggrin.gif Sig? Or the million other posts defending his rich ass? It's cool....I just don't get this whole discussion happening all over the internet. Aside from the Trout fight, Canelo hasn't done anything particularly breathtaking.........yet. Saying Floyd will become one of the GOATs after he beats Saul is nonsensical...
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2013, 05:05 AM) *
So you don't mind the catchweight stuff if Floyd does it, but wait...weren't you just bashing Manny in another thread about catchweights? Yall kill me with this stuff.

Okay, I can see how you can say that it is hypocritical. Here is why I am okay not over joyed but not pissing about it with the catch weight: Canelo called Floyd out and I look at this as paying your dos. When Mayweather called out Oscar he had to concede to everything because Oscar was the champ and well he called him out. He had no choice but to fight Cotto at 154 because if he didn't there would be no story line. Let's face it. Saul happens to hydrate all the way to 170 which is his right as long as he makes weight but again, Saul called out Floyd and made demands to him, in the media, which is dumb in my opinion. And if I remember correctly you even questioned who the fuck was he to demand anything from Floyd. Mind you, If May really wanted to be a prick 147 to 150 would be in his rights. In Saul's quote he said they both had to give something to make this fight. Cotto openly told Manny that the extra two pounds would hurt him and look what happen. Plus Cotto just came off from getting his ass kicked by Margarito. It is a slight difference. I look at the intangibles. Oscar hadn't fought at 147 since Mister Roger's was on tv, that was bullshit.
Plus I figure since Saul has made his career off of fighting guys way smaller than him and in two different weight classes than this should be reasonable. Oscar fought Hopkins at a catch weight, Chavez fought Sweet Pea at a catch weight. If Floyd has to gain 5 pounds than Saul can lose 2. It is fair. Shit Saul will still be the larger man come fight night.
Tha Docta
"So you have one guy who cheating and one guy who fought at a catch-weight. I wanted to fight Miguel Cotto at 154lbs [light-middleweight] because I wanted to fight the best Miguel Cotto."

"You have a guy Miguel Cotto. He has two losses, but one of his losses is to a guy at a catch-weight, where he wasn't 100%,"

the catchweight is very hypocritical. using his own quotes, he is basically saying he doesnt want to fight the best Canelo. i didnt like it when manny did it, and i sure as hell dont like this. why give your opponent an excuse for a bad performance?? if canelo gets outboxed, i already know how his post fight interview is going to go. its irritating, but i will still watch this fight.
checkleft
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 30 2013, 05:05 AM) *

Idk about atg but I agree with the general point. Canelo is nobody, any real boxing fan will agree and even tho I wish for the best fights possible I really hope Floyd knocks the air out of this hype jobs sail as martinez did to chavez.
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 30 2013, 07:50 AM) *
I don't get why people are complaining about the catchweight. It's not like he's making him come down to 147. It's 152. Canelo is going to be like 180 on fight night anyway lol.

Exactly. Canelo is probably gonna come in huge and it might do him in.
QUOTE (Tha Docta @ May 30 2013, 08:44 AM) *
"So you have one guy who cheating and one guy who fought at a catch-weight. I wanted to fight Miguel Cotto at 154lbs [light-middleweight] because I wanted to fight the best Miguel Cotto."

"You have a guy Miguel Cotto. He has two losses, but one of his losses is to a guy at a catch-weight, where he wasn't 100%,"

the catchweight is very hypocritical. using his own quotes, he is basically saying he doesnt want to fight the best Canelo. i didnt like it when manny did it, and i sure as hell dont like this. why give your opponent an excuse for a bad performance?? if canelo gets outboxed, i already know how his post fight interview is going to go. its irritating, but i will still watch this fight.

I think it was all about floyds pride, kinda like when cotto wanted that ridiculous catch weight in the marg rematch. Floyd was never gonna let him dictate his terms.

I don't like the catch weight shit. I've never liked it but maybe this is a good thing for canelo (big maybe). Maybe it will make him whip his own ass into shape to make weight and deal with his stamina issue
Gambit808
Couldn't have happen at a better time IMO. I think the General buzz for this fight could match in comparison to if Mayweather fought Pacquiao right after Manny beat De La Hoya, "it maybe a fight or two a bit sooner to it's full potential", but then again, if both men (mainly Alverez) had two more dominant victories to help boost the fights apeal, like the whole Pacquiao sherrade, there's no telling how big a ego he'd have at that time to help make this fight happen, therefore this seems to be the right time for this to happen.

My Prediction for this is a close SD for Mayweather, which may prompt people to wanna see the rematch on cinco de mayo.

This fight alone could virtually sell itself, but what do you guys think should be the under card/co features to this event? I'd love to see a Heavyweight bout thrown in there. I don't remember if Floyd ever had a Heavyweight fight on his undercards but it definitely would be nice to see a HW scrap leading into a Mayweather Main event, perhapse the Mitchell-Banks rematch (winner) face Chris Arreola or something.
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2013, 02:05 PM) *

I figured that they would let it build a little bit more too. Canelo just came off a big win over Trout, and Floyd just returned to the ring and looked sharp as ever...so I guess that struck the iron while it was hot. I'm not sure about 1.7 - 1.8 million buys...that's not the easiest thing to do, especially that 2M buys. The only fight out there with the capability of doing those numbers, is the "biggest fight that never happened".

I'm not even sure if Canelo comes into the fight at 170+ lbs like he did for the Trout fight. He usually steps in at about 166 or 167, so I'm assuming that he rehydrated that high, because Trout's a big fighter...too bad he didn't fight like one. Lol

Right. You'd think that people would let up off of Pac by now, but hey, that's how boxing goes. Though he habitually drained fighters, Floyd, in a sense, is "just as guilty" since he's at this big stage of his career, where everybody notices it. I cant recall many casual fans harping on the JMM catchweight, but this one is more public.

Yeah but really people compare the two, so next time anyone says "yeah but Pac fought two catchweights, Cotto and Good Ole Margs" then the other person will say "yeah but so did Mayweather vs Canelo and breaking his own limit with Marquez".

Easy to make it okay. I don't think it'll affect Canelo that much since he's young, but for all we know he can still have negative effects, and for someone thats 170lb fight night christ.
Tha Docta
i have a feeling the undercard will be a pile of hot garbage since the headliners will be making a ton of loot. maybe some good fighters will take short money just for the exposure, but im not holding my breath.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 30 2013, 09:15 AM) *
biggrin.gif Sig? Or the million other posts defending his rich ass? It's cool....I just don't get this whole discussion happening all over the internet. Aside from the Trout fight, Canelo hasn't done anything particularly breathtaking.........yet. Saying Floyd will become one of the GOATs after he beats Saul is nonsensical...

I dont believe either guy will be the GOAT after beating one another. For one, Floyd wont get that credit under his career is well behind him. Canelo wont either, because as you said, he's only beaten Trout. Now, had he been running through some notable competition over the years, then one could consider it. I think a guy of Manny's caliber will get that GOAT recognition, if he beats Floyd.

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 30 2013, 09:21 AM) *
Okay, I can see how you can say that it is hypocritical. Here is why I am okay not over joyed but not pissing about it with the catch weight: Canelo called Floyd out and I look at this as paying your dos. When Mayweather called out Oscar he had to concede to everything because Oscar was the champ and well he called him out. He had no choice but to fight Cotto at 154 because if he didn't there would be no story line. Let's face it. Saul happens to hydrate all the way to 170 which is his right as long as he makes weight but again, Saul called out Floyd and made demands to him, in the media, which is dumb in my opinion. And if I remember correctly you even questioned who the fuck was he to demand anything from Floyd. Mind you, If May really wanted to be a prick 147 to 150 would be in his rights. In Saul's quote he said they both had to give something to make this fight. Cotto openly told Manny that the extra two pounds would hurt him and look what happen. Plus Cotto just came off from getting his ass kicked by Margarito. It is a slight difference. I look at the intangibles. Oscar hadn't fought at 147 since Mister Roger's was on tv, that was bullshit.
Plus I figure since Saul has made his career off of fighting guys way smaller than him and in two different weight classes than this should be reasonable. Oscar fought Hopkins at a catch weight, Chavez fought Sweet Pea at a catch weight. If Floyd has to gain 5 pounds than Saul can lose 2. It is fair. Shit Saul will still be the larger man come fight night.

Some of your points are valid, and yes, Floyd's earned that right to have his opponent come in a fight under his demands. When you reach this point of their career, they can call the shots, which can be tedious at times...especially when both guys have earned that luxury (hence why the megafight never happened).

As I mentioned earlier, I dont believe Canelo will come into this fight at 170+. I believe he did that because of the size difference in the Trout fight...or the size difference that they anticipated. It was almost a battle as to who would come in bigger. In this case with the Floyd fight, Canelo already knows that his speed isn't up to par with a smaller faster Floyd, so I can see him coming in at about 166 or 167, as he usually does.

As for the OLDH/Pac fight, to my understanding, Oscar called the shots in that fight. He underestimated Manny, and got his ass handled (which I'm sure he enjoys behind closed doors). That OLDH/Hopkins catchweight was somewhat mutual, if I remember correctly (I may be wrong though).
bnoles4life
QUOTE (KOpower @ May 29 2013, 11:10 PM) *
Boom. CW? Interesting. Will the people that ripped Manny now rip Floyd?

Mayweather wins 116-112 in a fight that is similar to the one he had with Cotto.

What I don't like about this fight. It should be at the '54 limit or not at all. That being said, The Notre Dame mascot (shout out to CShel) isn't going to even 'sniff' winning this fight.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 29 2013, 11:49 PM) *
The undercard should have Ortiz vs. Guerrero in a barn burner

Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse!

That would be BIG!

Not w/ Floyd getting $40M off the rip, not to mention % of the gate and PPV sales. Now, we haven't even mentioned Canelo's "cut". Naw, unless this is charitable tax write off, those cats aren't gonna fight for little to nothing
pacco_diablo

Yes. Without a doubt it solidifies him as a GOAT. No questions. I'm not only in shock that he chose to fight him but to fight him in Sept?!? That decision alone has Alvarez shaking in his boots. I can guarantee you that. This is Floyd's biggest "perceived" challenge since Chico. It wont bring in the numbers that a fight with Pac could have brought in a couple of years ago, but I believe it will still top the charts with PPV buys, surpassing the De La Hoya fight. That's a tall order but the lure of the "someones 0 has got to go," is just too great, especially in this case.

i havent been this excited for a fight since Tyson vs. Lewis or RJJ vs. Ruiz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.