Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Gamboa Screwed?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Dolimite
Gamboa is a talented fighter and it seems like his career is in the shitter. Like me explain: he left Arum (smart move) and started hanging out with Floyd and boxing in his gym. Everyone thought that he would blow up as a fighter, he was even apart of the short lived "Bomb Squad." His career took a turn for the worse when Floyd went to jail and he ended signing with 50. Ever since 50 and Floyd broke up Gamboa has been in promotional hell. He hasn't been active and he is losing valuable time. He is not a spring chicken. 50 obviously does not know shit about the boxing world and promotion. I feel like Gamboa is fucked. I wonder when his contract will up because he needs to sign with someone who knows what they are doing. I hate to see good talent go to waste. In all has Gamboa screwed himself out of a great career by his business decisions?

And does anyone miss 50 hogging the camera? I don't either.
Tray1201
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 6 2013, 10:03 PM) *
Gamboa is a talented fighter and it seems like his career is in the shitter. Like me explain: he left Arum (smart move) and started hanging out with Floyd and boxing in his gym. Everyone thought that he would blow up as a fighter, he was even apart of the short lived "Bomb Squad." His career took a turn for the worse when Floyd went to jail and he ended signing with 50. Ever since 50 and Floyd broke up Gamboa has been in promotional hell. He hasn't been active and he is losing valuable time. He is not a spring chicken. 50 obviously does not know shit about the boxing world and promotion. I feel like Gamboa is fucked. I wonder when his contract will up because he needs to sign with someone who knows what they are doing. I hate to see good talent go to waste. In all has Gamboa screwed himself out of a great career by his business decisions?

And does anyone miss 50 hogging the camera? I don't either.

Gamboa doesn't fight enough ... Talented fighter who once had a chance to b great signing to SMS promotions bad move
mrchitown
He screwed himself, don't blame 50. He signed that contract,aint nobody frce him to do that some of the issues in his career is his fault..he don't seem too bright IMO
mgrover
Yes, he's with a wannabe promoter, am surprised his contract didn't get transferred to Mayweather promotions
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 6 2013, 09:48 PM) *
He screwed himself, don't blame 50. He signed that contract,aint nobody frce him to do that some of the issues in his career is his fault..he don't seem too bright IMO

I think he was under the assumption that he was signing with Floyd. A lot people thought that, I think 50 did a snake move. But I guess in the in Gamboa is responsible for his own career? I just think the kid has great talent and he should be fighting at least 3 times a year.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 7 2013, 11:36 AM) *
I think he was under the assumption that he was signing with Floyd. A lot people thought that, I think 50 did a snake move. But I guess in the in Gamboa is responsible for his own career? I just think the kid has great talent and he should be fighting at least 3 times a year.

Why would they think they'd be signing to just Floyd, if that was the case then they would've signed with Mayweather promotions. The facts are they believed Floyd was on board with TMT promotions, once that fell thru those fighters could've went with him if they wanted to but didn't. Gamboa and Dirrell stayed and they technically had no choice because they took money upfront

50 did a snake move to Mayweather but not Gamboa...and yeah he should be fighting more but when you leave a well known promoter you better have tour affairs in order. Promoters and their companies don't own fighters. A fighter runs his career. Curt Flood made shit like that possible. You can't blame the boss all the time for your mistakes and this is no exception
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 7 2013, 02:42 PM) *
Why would they think they'd be signing to just Floyd, if that was the case then they would've signed with Mayweather promotions. The facts are they believed Floyd was on board with TMT promotions, once that fell thru those fighters could've went with him if they wanted to but didn't. Gamboa and Dirrell stayed and they technically had no choice because they took money upfront

50 did a snake move to Mayweather but not Gamboa...and yeah he should be fighting more but when you leave a well known promoter you better have tour affairs in order. Promoters and their companies don't own fighters. A fighter runs his career. Curt Flood made shit like that possible. You can't blame the boss all the time for your mistakes and this is no exception

I thought they signed before everything fell through. Oh well. Gamboa does have a language barrier and fuck the blackhawks!
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 7 2013, 05:37 PM) *
I thought they signed before everything fell through. Oh well. Gamboa does have a language barrier and fuck the blackhawks!

3-1 is a beautiful thing lol....IDK know when they signed but I do recall all the moves being made when Mayweather was locked up

On another note, IDK how to feel about 50 doing the documentary on Tapia...I will reserve judgement until I see it, maybe because he didn't know the guy, but Dibella was heavily involved with it so that should make it good. It debuts in some film festival next weekend in Cali I believe
BigFightFan
Gamboa and SMS promotions will be ok. When the company was TMT everyone had positive feedback for Gamboa and 50, now Gamboa can't fight and 50 is a piece of shit. Cracks me up sometimes
Dolimite
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jun 8 2013, 08:50 AM) *
Gamboa and SMS promotions will be ok. When the company was TMT everyone had positive feedback for Gamboa and 50, now Gamboa can't fight and 50 is a piece of shit. Cracks me up sometimes

50 isn't a good promoter. Gamboa is a hell of a fighter but 50 should have Gamboa far more active than what he has been. And Andre Dirrell what is up with his career and Billy Dibb. 50 thought this shit was going to be easy but it is not. He doesn't have Floyd to lean on. I just feel bad for Gamboa, I really do.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 8 2013, 12:36 PM) *
50 isn't a good promoter. Gamboa is a hell of a fighter but 50 should have Gamboa far more active than what he has been. And Andre Dirrell what is up with his career and Billy Dibb. 50 thought this shit was going to be easy but it is not. He doesn't have Floyd to lean on. I just feel bad for Gamboa, I really do.

Lets not even discuss Billy Dib! I think SMS is having a hard time making fights since they can't do business with GBP and their affiilliates. But I would put SMS up their with Main Events, FMWP, and Don King promotions.
mrchitown
Dolomite you got to stop this fuckery lol. He just started promoting you have to give it time. Ain't nobody successful out the gate, especially in the boxing business. Dirrell scored himself when he pulled out of his last fight a few months ago, Dibble supposedly has a fight coming up. Think u read it over at boxing scene.

Where 50 messed up is trying to fuck over Al Harmon, IDK wtf he was thinking with that mess. Now it seems like he's only willing or only able to do business with Dibella and top rank. He has to take what's given to him it seems.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 8 2013, 10:50 AM) *
Dolomite you got to stop this fuckery lol. He just started promoting you have to give it time. Ain't nobody successful out the gate, especially in the boxing business. Dirrell scored himself when he pulled out of his last fight a few months ago, Dibble supposedly has a fight coming up. Think u read it over at boxing scene.

Where 50 messed up is trying to fuck over Al Harmon, IDK wtf he was thinking with that mess. Now it seems like he's only willing or only able to do business with Dibella and top rank. He has to take what's given to him it seems.

50 has money and a recognizable name, he has exposures to the "hip hop" world. I haven't seen shit from him, actually he was at the X games in Barcelona. He had no SMS promotions or Gamboa t shirts. Now, whenever you see see Floyd he is sporting his TMT brand. we are both in marketing, the least he could do is market himself and his fighters. Shit do an interview with Ben or someone. It is stone cold silent. The point of being a promoter is getting your brand out there he is not doing that, at all.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 8 2013, 07:06 PM) *
50 has money and a recognizable name, he has exposures to the "hip hop" world. I h
Daven't seen shit from him, actually he was at the X games in Barcelona. He had no SMS promotions or Gamboa t shirts. Now, whenever you see see Floyd he is sporting his TMT brand. we are both in marketing, the least he could do is market himself and his fighters. Shit do an interview with Ben or someone. It is stone cold silent. The point of being a promoter is getting your brand out there he is not doing that, at all.

As far as visibility, marketing, branding, and being known 50 trumps Floyd. Just because he ain't have t shirts don't mean he ain't pushing them. That dude is a marketing genius. Even in there interview with X X mag Floyd admitted that though he's the p4p king he's not that we'll known as 50. Floyd does what he does and that's fight but in terms of branding you have no facts that will stand up and put Floyd over 50....vitamin water shit on any argument you got lol

One thing I can say about him is that 50 will push his products, he is very hands on in that regard. As far as hi. Being a promoter in boxing, there's a reason people were excited that he and Mayweather joined forces, they could've changed the landscape of boxing together. That wasn't all hype for Floyd, people were enthusiastic about 59's involvement too. It went to shit when they went separate ways. IMO I hope one day they can put their issues to the side and at the least be friends again
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 8 2013, 07:06 PM) *
50 has money and a recognizable name, he has exposures to the "hip hop" world. I h
Daven't seen shit from him, actually he was at the X games in Barcelona. He had no SMS promotions or Gamboa t shirts. Now, whenever you see see Floyd he is sporting his TMT brand. we are both in marketing, the least he could do is market himself and his fighters. Shit do an interview with Ben or someone. It is stone cold silent. The point of being a promoter is getting your brand out there he is not doing that, at all.

As far as visibility, marketing, branding, and being known 50 trumps Floyd. Just because he ain't have t shirts don't mean he ain't pushing them. That dude is a marketing genius. Even in there interview with X X mag Floyd admitted that though he's the p4p king he's not that we'll known as 50. Floyd does what he does and that's fight but in terms of branding you have no facts that will stand up and put Floyd over 50....vitamin water shit on any argument you got lol

One thing I can say about him is that 50 will push his products, he is very hands on in that regard. As far as hi. Being a promoter in boxing, there's a reason people were excited that he and Mayweather joined forces, they could've changed the landscape of boxing together. That wasn't all hype for Floyd, people were enthusiastic about 59's involvement too. It went to shit when they went separate ways. IMO I hope one day they can put their issues to the side and at the least be friends again
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 8 2013, 06:17 PM) *

I know 50 is more well known but he isn't pushing his brand. I am saying whenever you see Floyd he has on his TMT shit on. 50 has the airways, the media, and the ars of a massive public and he hasn't really done much. Hell he could have his fighters star in his damn Vitamin Water commercials or SK1 energy commercials. he has the venue but he just seems either uninterested or has no idea what he is doing. I think he needs to really use his name to push his fighters.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 8 2013, 01:50 PM) *

that and dissing oscar. he just cut gamboa's opportunities in half with that bullshit. we can rule out a lot of potential match ups because of that very stupid move. that was very bad business. he put his promotional company in a huge hole that i think will be extremely difficult to get out of. arum is not going to let gamboa get any bigger than anyone he is promoting.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 9 2013, 10:42 AM) *
I know 50 is more well known but he isn't pushing his brand. I am saying whenever you see Floyd he has on his TMT shit on. 50 has the airways, the media, and the ars of a massive public and he hasn't really done much. Hell he could have his fighters star in his damn Vitamin Water commercials or SK1 energy commercials. he has the venue but he just seems either uninterested or has no idea what he is doing. I think he needs to really use his name to push his fighters.

TBH, he pushes all his brands. I've never seen him not push a business that he is involved in. Why put them in those commercials when they not known like that. He does push them on the radio and interviews. I mean, just one soundbite from him goes a lit longer then most. At the same time the fighters are accountable for their own self. You don't put no names in promos. They need to get a spark and Gamboa definitely didn't do that this past weekend

If you came to me at a meeting and told me to push them by putting them in commercials I'd have you fired. It doesn't work like that and that's not a good business model
He pushed them rap dudes because they had a spark with him. Why push Dirrell to the casuals and you never know when this guy will actually come to the ring and fight. But you might be somewhat correct because I saw something that he used Gamboa for

He just started out, he needs time to develop into the role of boxing promoter. I think you just being hard on him bell cause you like Floyd so much...mes a proven better businessman then Floyd so I'd never rush judhement on him especially when the shit is less then a year old
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 10 2013, 02:07 PM) *
that and dissing oscar. he just cut gamboa's opportunities in half with that bullshit. we can rule out a lot of potential match ups because of that very stupid move. that was very bad business. he put his promotional company in a huge hole that i think will be extremely difficult to get out of. arum is not going to let gamboa get any bigger than anyone he is promoting.

We might be analyzing him in a different way if he hadn't of did that dumb stuff. I think he jumped out the Window when he said he envisions working with all promoters but then you try to cut out Haymon then you dissemination Oscar and GB. He so hard up for Gamboa to fight Broner but I think he's smart enough to know they ain't helping put money in his pocket.

He's a good business guy but he likes to bring that hood shit to everything he does. It helps and hurts him but it looks like it's hurting him pretty good right now
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 10 2013, 01:49 PM) *
TBH, he pushes all his brands. I've never seen him not push a business that he is involved in. Why put them in those commercials when they not known like that. He does push them on the radio and interviews. I mean, just one soundbite from him goes a lit longer then most. At the same time the fighters are accountable for their own self. You don't put no names in promos. They need to get a spark and Gamboa definitely didn't do that this past weekend

If you came to me at a meeting and told me to push them by putting them in commercials I'd have you fired. It doesn't work like that and that's not a good business model
He pushed them rap dudes because they had a spark with him. Why push Dirrell to the casuals and you never know when this guy will actually come to the ring and fight. But you might be somewhat correct because I saw something that he used Gamboa for

He just started out, he needs time to develop into the role of boxing promoter. I think you just being hard on him bell cause you like Floyd so much...mes a proven better businessman then Floyd so I'd never rush judhement on him especially when the shit is less then a year old

First off Fuck the Blackhawks!

To the post. I think 50 is a great business man. Canelo is in under armor commercials and the casual fan has no idea who he is. In order to push a product you have to give that product exposure. Dropping names in an interview versus giving people a visual of this person will go a lot further in my opinion. If he features them in a video with their name plastered somewhere people will remember Gamboa or Andrea Dirrell's name. he has an avenue that most boxers are promoters do not have. It is not about me liking Floyd, I thought 50 was a bitch ass after he did that shit with Vivica Fox and the entire G-Unit shit went down I didn't like. Many of my friends who worked for 50 has said he is cut throat businessman and an dick. Like you pointed out he tried to cut out Al Haymon and shitted on GB! Bad business as you stated. You don't try to kill Kaiser Souze off jump, you work your way to that point. Dibb, Gamboa, and Dirrell in my opinion are all fucked. Gamboa even stated as much in his promo, I think he might try to sign with GB when his contract is up.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 10 2013, 04:53 PM) *
We might be analyzing him in a different way if he hadn't of did that dumb stuff. I think he jumped out the Window when he said he envisions working with all promoters but then you try to cut out Haymon then you dissemination Oscar and GB. He so hard up for Gamboa to fight Broner but I think he's smart enough to know they ain't helping put money in his pocket.

He's a good business guy but he likes to bring that hood shit to everything he does. It helps and hurts him but it looks like it's hurting him pretty good right now

boxing is a whole different business. he's shot himself in both feet. i can't see him turning this around in the next year or two. i hope he's in this for the long hall. it'll be a while.
mex4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 7 2013, 07:52 AM) *
Yes, he's with a wannabe promoter, am surprised his contract didn't get transferred to Mayweather promotions

here we go again mr grover..hahaha
checkleft
QUOTE (mex4life @ Jun 12 2013, 03:31 AM) *
here we go again mr grover..hahaha

I'm tellin you mg, someones crushing on you hard lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 10 2013, 06:17 PM) *
boxing is a whole different business. he's shot himself in both feet. i can't see him turning this around in the next year or two. i hope he's in this for the long hall. it'll be a while.

Everything is different business. I don't see him turning it around anytime soon either but he's proven so I don't count him out.
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 12 2013, 03:32 PM) *
I'm tellin you mg, someones crushing on you hard lol

I like the attention tongue.gif
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 8 2013, 02:50 PM) *

He underestimated the "politics" of boxing and the level of "shade" w/n it. I'm thinking he knows now.
bnoles4life
I'm not going to diss dude's business acumen, b/c clearly he's done more than I. That being said, I'm thinking some of his business "genius" is a little inflated. I get the Vitamin Water connect (though his worth in that company was exaggerated), G Unit clothing and I suppose SMS, but he hasn't really done much lately in terms of being relevant. Again, dude is worth infinitely more $$$ than me, but when I hear business "genius" and it's coming from hip hop, Joe Camel is the first person who comes to my mind. Both dudes started out "hustling", both did record labels and clothing lines. However, one owned a piece of a NBA team and is now STEALING (read: signing) prominent athletes to his sports agency and the other is trying to establish himself in the dirtiest game NOT named U.S. politics (Oh...and I won't even get into how one of 'em juiced Live Nation out of $150M, 10 album deal). Hmmmmm....to quote Joe Camel: "You cats is home, screaming the fight's on. I'm in the fifteen hundred seats, watching Ty-son. Same night, same fight. But one of us cats ain't playing right....I'll let you tell it."
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 12 2013, 09:12 PM) *
I'm not going to diss dude's business acumen, b/c clearly he's done more than I. That being said, I'm thinking some of his business "genius" is a little inflated. I get the Vitamin Water connect (though his worth in that company was exaggerated), G Unit clothing and I suppose SMS, but he hasn't really done much lately in terms of being relevant. Again, dude is worth infinitely more $$$ than me, but when I hear business "genius" and it's coming from hip hop, Joe Camel is the first person who comes to my mind. Both dudes started out "hustling", both did record labels and clothing lines. However, one owned a piece of a NBA team and is now STEALING (read: signing) prominent athletes to his sports agency and the other is trying to establish himself in the dirtiest game NOT named U.S. politics (Oh...and I won't even get into how one of 'em juiced Live Nation out of $150M, 10 album deal). Hmmmmm....to quote Joe Camel: "You cats is home, screaming the fight's on. I'm in the fifteen hundred seats, watching Ty-son. Same night, same fight. But one of us cats ain't playing right....I'll let you tell it."

I was with you until you brought up Jay. I'll give you a fact to look up. Jay does nothing with out these 3 Jewish cats. They tell him what to invest in and not to and so on and so on. It's been that way since he sold roc a fella. I don't care for him that much and 50 is annoying but I give him some credit for doing shit on his own. If 50's status is inflated so is your point of view in jigga man
Hotsauce
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 12 2013, 11:59 AM) *
Everything is different business. I don't see him turning it around anytime soon either but he's proven so I don't count him out.

good point. in hip hop you don't have to work with other rappers to be successful but in boxing you have to work with other promters.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Hotsauce) *
good point. in hip hop you don't have to work with other rappers to be successful but in boxing you have to work with other promters.

I won't be surprised if somebody clowns him if he fails in the boxing biz. You made a good point about not needing others in hip hop but he's been that stupid mindset from the get go. If he wants to really put SMS promotions over the top he better get used to not always running the show and having to actually collab with others
CrazyBuffalO
50 has a lot going on. He's making a fortune out of music. He has a audio company. He has energy drink business. And hell he's even got his own recording company I believe.

So.... business in boxing is just his hobby. Because he's got friends in boxing and because he is a fan himself. At the end of the day it's not what he relies on to buy his sports cars and mansions and his 'blings.' So you kinda see why he's not in a hurry to make 'moves' in the boxing world. I don't think it would affect him if his boxing business goes down. It's just one of those things that he's invested on but don't really rely on to keep himself alive and living luxuriously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.