Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Promoting of Cuba's big 3
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Like Argentina, Cuba also has it's big 3 in Lara, Rigo and Gamboa, but promoters seem to have difficulties drawing a broad fan base for this 3. Why not stage more fights in Miami with these guys? It's a attractive city with a Cuban following and has been a source of big fights before, so what gives? Why is a city like Miami, Florida not a big promotional market for boxing like Nevada, California, New York, or Texas?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 10 2013, 09:08 PM) *
Like Argentina, Cuba also has it's big 3 in Lara, Rigo and Gamboa, but promoters seem to have difficulties drawing a broad fan base for this 3. Why not stage more fights in Miami with these guys? It's a attractive city with a Cuban following and has been a source of big fights before, so what gives? Why is a city like Miami, Florida not a big promotional market for boxing?

arum has no intention of pushing rigondeaux the way he can. the opposition is there for that guy to be a bonafied star in boxing...but he's already shit on him. it's unfortunate.

gamboa shot himself in the foot by signing with 50 who isn't a real boxing promoter and has plenty to learn.

lara is in a division where his own promoter has bigger plans for his main fighter (canelo) so don't expect anything significant from him either.

all 3 guys have the skills and ability to be top dogs in their respective divisions. the unfortunate part is that each guys promoter isn't willing...or is unable to take these guys to the mountain top.
Gambit808
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 10 2013, 10:17 PM) *
arum has no intention of pushing rigondeaux the way he can. the opposition is there for that guy to be a bonafied star in boxing...but he's already shit on him. it's unfortunate.

gamboa shot himself in the foot by signing with 50 who isn't a real boxing promoter and has plenty to learn.

lara is in a division where his own promoter has bigger plans for his main fighter (canelo) so don't expect anything significant from him either.

all 3 guys have the skills and ability to be top dogs in their respective divisions. the unfortunate part is that each guys promoter isn't willing...or is unable to take these guys to the mountain top.

Lara and Rigo both knocked off potential money makers in Donaire and Angulo. If Angulo was to win that fight, he would be in the run for either Cotto or Canelo. Why hold back fighters who fight the fight and deserve the shot. Gamboa at this point is 50's biggest star and is still undefeated, so I ask, if the problem here is a descent fan base, then why not(wishful thinking) Headline Lara in Miami against Peter Quillen. Or work out a Double header with SMS and throw Gamboa on the undercard against a formidable opponent that GBP can offer? Is fighting in Miami(FL) a bad market or what?
checkleft
Gamboa isn't that good.. orliander has more upside to me than gamboa
mrchitown
I really do think they(the promoters) should have them fighting in Miami because they can build their fan base and THEN take them somewhere else to grow their careers. But neither Arum or Schaefer are interested in pushing Rigo or Lara, they keep thinking their feeding them to who they want to make a star but in truth their actually feeding them to Lara and Rigondeaux. Gamboa is in a tough spot, I'll reserve judgement on the overall success of 50's company because it's still in it's infant stages but therein lies the problem. he went from an established promoter to someone who doesn't exactly know all the ins and outs just yet. IDK what happens with him
Gambit808
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 11 2013, 01:38 AM) *
I really do think they(the promoters) should have them fighting in Miami because they can build their fan base and THEN take them somewhere else to grow their careers. But neither Arum or Schaefer are interested in pushing Rigo or Lara, they keep thinking their feeding them to who they want to make a star but in truth their actually feeding them to Lara and Rigondeaux. Gamboa is in a tough spot, I'll reserve judgement on the overall success of 50's company because it's still in it's infant stages but therein lies the problem. he went from an established promoter to someone who doesn't exactly know all the ins and outs just yet. IDK what happens with him

Gamboa has taken on pretty good competition since his move up in weight class, it's just his last 2 opponent don't have names for themselves, but I think they can be just as tough of a match up for anyone else in that division as they were for Gamboa.
scdrking2
Leveraging the Miami market sounds like a good plan, but how much does them being "dark skinned"Cubans come into play?
Gambit808
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 10:10 AM) *
Leveraging the Miami market sounds like a good plan, but how much does them being "dark skinned"Cubans come into play?

Hmmm, I don't think it has so much to do with skin tone. It might, but I don't think so. Tito Trinidad IS the most popular fighter ever for puerto ricans and he just so happens to be dark. In fact there's a broad population of dark skin Latino/Latina's in most of those Latin nations so again, I don't think skin tone has much to do with it.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 08:30 AM) *
Gamboa has taken on pretty good competition since his move up in weight class, it's just his last 2 opponent don't have names for themselves, but I think they can be just as tough of a match up for anyone else in that division as they were for Gamboa.

I agree Gamboa takes on some solid comp. Buy I do get the feeling he's going to get slept sooner or later. I don't like the way he fought in his last fight
scdrking2
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 10:44 AM) *
Hmmm, I don't think it has so much to do with skin tone. It might, but I don't think so. Tito Trinidad IS the most popular fighter ever for puerto ricans and he just so happens to be dark. In fact there's a broad population of dark skin Latino/Latina's in most of those Latin nations so again, I don't think skin tone has much to do with it.

My insight is limited, but I went to college in N. FL. While I did not meet any Cubans, many of my friends from Miami were 2nd and 3rd generation descendents of the various islands. Miami is a very racially fractured community. The few times I have been, to me it seems like they like down on you if you are dark or dont speak Spanish. And Cuba had a very tough racial history, with many of the money folks being very light skinned who associated more with their Spanish heritage and those were many of the people from whom Castro took power. And those constitute the monied conservative Republican S. FL Cuban base.
Jovi
In my eyes its really just Lara just Rigondeaux, Gamboa signed his career away when he went with 50. Gamboa seems to have been on a decline since after his move up in weight, getting knocked down by jabs in both of his last fight, if he's getting knocked down by nobodies throwing jabs then he's lucky he hasn't gone in with a top competitor especially Brandon rios.

Rigondeaux and Lara both need more fights against top contenders, preferably other latino fighters. Rigondeaux vs Mares would be huge, Lara vs Cotto would be awesome too because i don't see Cotto backing off of Lara.

Put them together in some double headers or something if they can't headline by themselves, now its time for them to really earn their big big payday, just a few fights away. Put them in Miami and call Rigondeaux "Scarface" so things can heat up.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 11 2013, 12:03 PM) *
In my eyes its really just Lara just Rigondeaux, Gamboa signed his career away when he went with 50. Gamboa seems to have been on a decline since after his move up in weight, getting knocked down by jabs in both of his last fight, if he's getting knocked down by nobodies throwing jabs then he's lucky he hasn't gone in with a top competitor especially Brandon rios.

Rigondeaux and Lara both need more fights against top contenders, preferably other latino fighters. Rigondeaux vs Mares would be huge, Lara vs Cotto would be awesome too because i don't see Cotto backing off of Lara.

Put them together in some double headers or something if they can't headline by themselves, now its time for them to really earn their big big payday, just a few fights away. Put them in Miami and call Rigondeaux "Scarface" so things can heat up.

I don't think he's on the decline. He's more or less fighting the same way he did in the lower weights and it's not translating good into the bigger weights. He's been getting knocked down throughout his career so it's know surprise, it's just how he fights and so far no ones been able to solve him enough to make him feel that maybe he's doing something wrong.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 10 2013, 09:46 PM) *
Lara and Rigo both knocked off potential money makers in Donaire and Angulo. If Angulo was to win that fight, he would be in the run for either Cotto or Canelo. Why hold back fighters who fight the fight and deserve the shot. Gamboa at this point is 50's biggest star and is still undefeated, so I ask, if the problem here is a descent fan base, then why not(wishful thinking) Headline Lara in Miami against Peter Quillen. Or work out a Double header with SMS and throw Gamboa on the undercard against a formidable opponent that GBP can offer? Is fighting in Miami(FL) a bad market or what?

makes all the sense in the world to me. i don't see arum trying to make that happen though so 50 will be on his own. rigondeaux will be buried on arums undercards. lara probably has the best chance to get pushed. i wouldn't move him up to 160 to face quillen just yet. let him have his moment at 154 before that happens.
daprofessor
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 09:10 AM) *

i didn't want to be the one to say it.

the cuban population in miami is primarily the "haves" aka whites that exiled and those that stayed were the "have nots" aka the blacks, so it's not like they welcome these guys with open arms.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 10:44 AM) *

puerto rico's situation is different than cuba's, but make no mistake about it...there's still racism/favoritism within a lot of the latino cultures that have black segments of the population.
daprofessor
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 11:00 AM) *
My insight is limited, but I went to college in N. FL. While I did not meet any Cubans, many of my friends from Miami were 2nd and 3rd generation descendents of the various islands. Miami is a very racially fractured community. The few times I have been, to me it seems like they like down on you if you are dark or dont speak Spanish. And Cuba had a very tough racial history, with many of the money folks being very light skinned who associated more with their Spanish heritage and those were many of the people from whom Castro took power. And those constitute the monied conservative Republican S. FL Cuban base.

this.
Gambit808
Damn, SMH in shame... True underdogs... I can respect that if it is the case. I guess we won't see those Cuban flags at these events unless they knockin off more legitimate prize fighters back to back. I was thinking it could be more political, since Cuba is communist and maybe these American networks don't wanna acknowledge the support of a communist nation like they would for others... But I had to stop myself and think HBOB is promoting that dude from China so I guess u guys sentiments make more sense lol
flazi
im one of these 'dark skinned' latins. from panama. in panama its a bit different, there isn't racism per se, but there is classism.
daprofessor
QUOTE (flazi @ Jun 11 2013, 07:28 PM) *
im one of these 'dark skinned' latins. from panama. in panama its a bit different, there isn't racism per se, but there is classism.

this was aslemo moreno's ring entrance song when he fought mares. gets me pumped everytime i hear it.

Cshel86
I think it has a lot to do with taxes, in regards to these fights being held in FL. I see these small cards on ESPN and ShowBox being held there, but rarely do I see the B.A.D., HBO Championship Boxing, or Showtime Boxing Championship Boxing cards being held there.

I mean the Miami Heat are in the Finals, so I wonder why promoters aren't taking advantage of that alone. Hell, have the fighters take pics with the team (or some of it's key players), or have them take part in some Heat stuff.

This is all easier said than done, by the way. I mean seriously, if Arum couldn't even squeeze pennies out of anything in FL or rub shoulders with some big time players (investors) to help promote his Cuban fighter(s), then that should tell us something. It may be something that requires too much work, with little reward...like cuffing a chick with daddy issues.
flazi
this was aslemo moreno's ring entrance song when he fought mares. gets me pumped everytime i hear it.

yes i love that song too
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 11 2013, 08:05 PM) *
I think it has a lot to do with taxes, in regards to these fights being held in FL. I see these small cards on ESPN and ShowBox being held there, but rarely do I see the B.A.D., HBO Championship Boxing, or Showtime Boxing Championship Boxing cards being held there.

I mean the Miami Heat are in the Finals, so I wonder why promoters aren't taking advantage of that alone. Hell, have the fighters take pics with the team (or some of it's key players), or have them take part in some Heat stuff.

This is all easier said than done, by the way. I mean seriously, if Arum couldn't even squeeze pennies out of anything in FL or rub shoulders with some big time players (investors) to help promote his Cuban fighter(s), then that should tell us something. It may be something that requires too much work, with little reward...like cuffing a chick with daddy issues.

laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 12:00 PM) *

Yup.

Cheesey1
The promoters aren't the only ones to be blamed. It's also the, too often useless, boxing press.
scdrking2
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 11 2013, 07:05 PM) *

Florida has no state income tax and very liberal financial laws to preserve assets in retirement. One of the reasons the Goldmans would chase OJ around when he was working conventions and stuff around the country as they could not touch his retirement money in FL nor the money he transferred into trusts for his other children.
Dolimite
All fights should be in Miami or New York. They should all fight together if that is possible (except Lara). Rigondeaux and Gamboa can fight on the same card. It would be exciting.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 11 2013, 10:47 PM) *
All fights should be in Miami or New York. They should all fight together if that is possible (except Lara). Rigondeaux and Gamboa can fight on the same card. It would be exciting.

Agreed! For Lara, if they're gonna put him on undercards, throw him in a double header with Kid chocolate, ain't he half Cuban?
Dolimite
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 07:54 PM) *
Agreed! For Lara, if they're gonna put him on undercards, throw him in a double header with Kid chocolate, ain't he half Cuban?

Kid Chocolate's daddy is Cuban so yeah he is. Great undercard!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.