Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Ward looking to sign with Top Rank
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
checkleft
So the rumors are true about ward wanting to get out of his contract with Dan. Now there is more rumors saying Wards first choice for a promoter would be top rank. Makes sense since hes an HBO fighter, prince has some ties to top rank, and ward also commentates on HBO. Also most of the MW, SMW, and LHW are on HBO.

And here of course is the elephant in the room, Chavez is under TR.

Is this a good move? Bad move? Smart? Did Andre get rattled by froch and floyds comments about him not being able to sell? Thoughts...
MAHDI
ward has said and now is doing things that In my view have much to do with his back and forth with Mayweather. Bottom line. Ward is in his prime and better make some moves now if he wants to get some real money to cash in on that Superstar talent. Hell, he may even have to come out of his gentleman Jim persona and act a little GHETTO AND IGNORANT LIKE FLOYD DID for a few years to get some attention lol (just a joke)
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 17 2013, 05:37 AM) *
So the rumors are true about ward wanting to get out of his contract with Dan. Now there is more rumors saying Wards first choice for a promoter would be top rank. Makes sense since hes an HBO fighter, prince has some ties to top rank, and ward also commentates on HBO. Also most of the MW, SMW, and LHW are on HBO.

And here of course is the elephant in the room, Chavez is under TR.

Is this a good move? Bad move? Smart? Did Andre get rattled by froch and floyds comments about him not being able to sell? Thoughts...

I told yawl!!!! Of course those comments got to Ward. He didn't start demanding top fights after those comments. He sees how certain guys sell Vegas and have big PPV numbers, that should be Ward. He is looking for that paper and fame. I don't care what he says, he wants, he is tired of waiting. He proved everything in the sport now he wants the paper.

I don't think what Floyd did was ignorant or ghetto, I think what he did was a marketing strategic genius move. America loves to hate the confident cocky black athlete. They will pay big money to see them lose... Just look at the history of sports.
Cshel86
Leaving Goosen at this point, is a good idea. Possibly moving to TR...ahhh, I'm not so sure. If he signs a 2-year deal with Bob, then he better get ready for the underhanded mess that takes place with most TR at the 11th hour of their contract ending...getting coerced into taking a contract extension. It's happened to Donaire, Chavez, and a few others as of late.

Honestly, TR may not be able to do anything with Ward, let alone any other promoters. It's obvious nowadays, that a black fighter has to market himself and reach out to his fan base in a manner in which most promoters deem "informal".

Free agency is a good thing for Ward, but ONLY if he's able to land the Chavez fight and make a HUGE impact. Granted, he may have to take the smaller split of the money, but he'll be lucky to land that fight against a TR fight, while under free agency.

Mayweather's words has little to do with this. Ward has a family and he realizes that he cant box forever, so its best to make as much money per fight, as possible. Im not saying that Floyd has NOTHING to do with it, because Im sure that his numbers and paydays have motivated more than a few fighters...hence how guys wanna stay undefeated and try to land big fights, so they avoid the dangerous B-level fighters in their division.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 17 2013, 12:21 PM) *
Leaving Goosen at this point, is a good idea. Possibly moving to TR...ahhh, I'm not so sure. If he signs a 2-year deal with Bob, then he better get ready for the underhanded mess that takes place with most TR at the 11th hour of their contract ending...getting coerced into taking a contract extension. It's happened to Donaire, Chavez, and a few others as of late.

Honestly, TR may not be able to do anything with Ward, let alone any other promoters. It's obvious nowadays, that a black fighter has to market himself and reach out to his fan base in a manner in which most promoters deem "informal".

Free agency is a good thing for Ward, but ONLY if he's able to land the Chavez fight and make a HUGE impact. Granted, he may have to take the smaller split of the money, but he'll be lucky to land that fight against a TR fight, while under free agency.

Mayweather's words has little to do with this. Ward has a family and he realizes that he cant box forever, so its best to make as much money per fight, as possible. Im not saying that Floyd has NOTHING to do with it, because Im sure that his numbers and paydays have motivated more than a few fighters...hence how guys wanna stay undefeated and try to land big fights, so they avoid the dangerous B-level fighters in their division.

Can't land that Chavez fight w/o being in bed w/ the Bobfather. Think about it: why would the Bobfather let Ward walk in, fleece his flock and bounce? You're right, Floyd does, IMO, have a small, but significant part in this. Look at the deal he has acquired, Ward wants that for him and his and unfortunately, it doesn't look like Teflon Dan can acquire this for him.
daprofessor
ward has that squeaky clean image and smile that arum likes in his black fighters. the gold medal is a plus as well. arum typically doesn't promote black fighters well...but when he has a guy like ward to work with, i think it becomes an easier job for him. this may be a good match for them both.
Juice
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 17 2013, 11:07 AM) *
Can't land that Chavez fight w/o being in bed w/ the Bobfather. Think about it: why would the Bobfather let Ward walk in, fleece his flock and bounce? You're right, Floyd does, IMO, have a small, but significant part in this. Look at the deal he has acquired, Ward wants that for him and his and unfortunately, it doesn't look like Teflon Dan can acquire this for him.

Al Haymon is a good choice too. Bob Arum is not the promoter for black fighters. Haymon is though. Arum is a snake...everybody knows that.
Marcus
QUOTE (Juice @ Jun 17 2013, 04:21 PM) *
Al Haymon is a good choice too. Bob Arum is not the promoter for black fighters. Haymon is though. Arum is a snake...everybody knows that.

Haymon and Arum would never do business together. And Haymon mostly does business with showtime. Most of the notable MW SMW and LHW as said before fight on HBO. But youre right. Al Haymon is the ideal manager for black fighters.

I think Ward should sign with DiBella. DiBella did great with Sergio Martinez career. I mean this was a man thats been shitted on in his controversial loses, shitted on by HBO, the WBC, and DiBella still managed to bring him to the top WAY after his prime. DiBella got him the right fights. Martinez barely had any fan base. And DiBella/Haymon promoted Andre Berto fairly well too. Bt i dont think DiBella ENT. does business with golden boy anymore either.
Franchize
Ward will find out quick that Bob only wants to showcase his foreigners who are out there fighting for their country. As with Mayweather, Ward will become "just another n*gger" under Top Prank. Oddly enough, I think Ward has even less of a chance to fight Chavez if he signs with Top Prank. Keeping it real, Ward needs a fight like that to become a star. It's one thing to maintain your morals rather than selling out for the money. It's another thing to allow yourself to fall into obscurity. I don't get how a fighter who seems so intelligent in and out of the ring, can't see the corruption behind Top Prank, especially with African American fighters.
checkleft
I agree with most of you on here. I don't see TR being the answer for ward. I also never see him being a ppv star, he can sell tickets in Oakland but he reminds me too much of Hopkins to be a ppv star in my eyes. I could see him banking off of a fight or two with other guys that have huge fan bases but I doubt he can do it himself.

I just don't see TR with the management and stable to get ward to the next level. And it sucks really cause the guy is a beast
mrchitown
Froch wasn't even able to get under his skin when they were facing off in the super six and that Floyd stuff I doubt got to him as well. He isn't a man who is rattled by what others say, if that was the case then some of the comments the fans make about him would've caused him to fight like Bradley did against Provdnikov.

The guy is approaching 30 and he should be in meaningful fights, he has been signaling for quite some time that he wants a change. I think that J prince may be out also because he's been doing some interviews where he's voiced his displeasure with his services as well. But TR isn't a good move in my view because Arum has blasted the black fan base numerous times and his track record with r black fighters is sketchy. True Ward embodies what Arum and TR look for in black fighters but so did Bradley and look where that got him.

I think he should try to go it alone and do it on his own terms. Too many fighters leave their career in the hands of the promoters, he's an Indian who should be a chief.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 17 2013, 09:31 PM) *
Froch wasn't even able to get under his skin when they were facing off in the super six and that Floyd stuff I doubt got to him as well. He isn't a man who is rattled by what others say, if that was the case then some of the comments the fans make about him would've caused him to fight like Bradley did against Provdnikov.

The guy is approaching 30 and he should be in meaningful fights, he has been signaling for quite some time that he wants a change. I think that J prince may be out also because he's been doing some interviews where he's voiced his displeasure with his services as well. But TR isn't a good move in my view because Arum has blasted the black fan base numerous times and his track record with r black fighters is sketchy. True Ward embodies what Arum and TR look for in black fighters but so did Bradley and look where that got him.

I think he should try to go it alone and do it on his own terms. Too many fighters leave their career in the hands of the promoters, he's an Indian who should be a chief.

i think the difference between bradley and ward though is that bradley was second fiddle to pacquiao. i don't believe arum has anyone at 168. but now that u mention it...i could see chavez moving there in the near future and ward having to play second fiddle to him.

going it alone can be risky. he'll be puttin up his own money...and that's a lot of work when you don't have an al haymon on your team. i can't see james prince doing any more than he's already done. you got me rethinking this.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 17 2013, 08:36 PM) *
i think the difference between bradley and ward though is that bradley was second fiddle to pacquiao. i don't believe arum has anyone at 168. but now that u mention it...i could see chavez moving there in the near future and ward having to play second fiddle to him.

going it alone can be risky. he'll be puttin up his own money...and that's a lot of work when you don't have an al haymon on your team. i can't see james prince doing any more than he's already done. you got me rethinking this.

At some point you got to do a nut check lol. It's a risk reward when you go it alone. I know this well since I own my own company. But hard work which he has pays off. I'd rather go it alone then depend on another man to feed me. I say it all the time some people are meant to be employees and the others are meant to be bosses. He needs to figure that one out. I hate the idea of Arum but a Chavez fight would do wonders for his legacy.

No one can say wth it is exactly that J prince does. Dawson sued him and said all he did was give him a photo shoot out in Houston. What does this man do to warrant being a manger? It's hard to tell. I can't name one of his fighters that didn't disagree with his methods and question his role. Well I don't recall Shane or Wink speaking bad about him but it's very telling that Ward is on record a lot lately as saying he's displeased with the guy
Junior80
I hope to god ward doesn't sign with that piece of garbage arum, IMO arum ruined pacquaio , ruined our chances of a mayweather pacquaio fight, he is just trash, ward is so much better then that . He should go Haymon without a doubt....top rank is shit
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 17 2013, 10:00 PM) *
At some point you got to do a nut check lol. It's a risk reward when you go it alone. I know this well since I own my own company. But hard work which he has pays off. I'd rather go it alone then depend on another man to feed me. I say it all the time some people are meant to be employees and the others are meant to be bosses. He needs to figure that one out. I hate the idea of Arum but a Chavez fight would do wonders for his legacy.

No one can say wth it is exactly that J prince does. Dawson sued him and said all he did was give him a photo shoot out in Houston. What does this man do to warrant being a manger? It's hard to tell. I can't name one of his fighters that didn't disagree with his methods and question his role. Well I don't recall Shane or Wink speaking bad about him but it's very telling that Ward is on record a lot lately as saying he's displeased with the guy

i wouldn't doubt that a young ward signed with him simply because floyd was with him. a lot of ppl in boxing do shit like that because they don't know any better. i seem to remember hearing that floyd sr and jeff tried to warn young floyd...but he got put out as a result. sometimes ppl have to learn shit the hard way. i don't know what the guy does. i've heard him speak once or twice...i don't recall him being the most articulate cat. i get the feeling he sits in on negotiations...goes thru the motions....gets ward to sign the contracts and collects his 30%. i know he's has rap-a-lot records. he must know something? maybe he helps finance ward until he gets paid? who knows? at this point...ward is about as well known as he's going to be. anything else is just icing on the cake. he can step up his legacy a few ways...great wins, longevity etc... the thing that doesn't get said when going it alone is all the added pressure that can take away from training. boxing itself is a hard enough sport without having to worry about things like promotion, ticket sales, venue, contracts..etc... can ward do it? maybe. but at this stage in his career is it wise to try? i'm not so sure. he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to do it himself...if he was...he would have done it long ago.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 17 2013, 07:24 PM) *
I agree with most of you on here. I don't see TR being the answer for ward. I also never see him being a ppv star, he can sell tickets in Oakland but he reminds me too much of Hopkins to be a ppv star in my eyes. I could see him banking off of a fight or two with other guys that have huge fan bases but I doubt he can do it himself.

I just don't see TR with the management and stable to get ward to the next level. And it sucks really cause the guy is a beast

This
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 17 2013, 09:28 PM) *
i wouldn't doubt that a young ward signed with him simply because floyd was with him. a lot of ppl in boxing do shit like that because they don't know any better. i seem to remember hearing that floyd sr and jeff tried to warn young floyd...but he got put out as a result. sometimes ppl have to learn shit the hard way. i don't know what the guy does. i've heard him speak once or twice...i don't recall him being the most articulate cat. i get the feeling he sits in on negotiations...goes thru the motions....gets ward to sign the contracts and collects his 30%. i know he's has rap-a-lot records. he must know something? maybe he helps finance ward until he gets paid? who knows? at this point...ward is about as well known as he's going to be. anything else is just icing on the cake. he can step up his legacy a few ways...great wins, longevity etc... the thing that doesn't get said when going it alone is all the added pressure that can take away from training. boxing itself is a hard enough sport without having to worry about things like promotion, ticket sales, venue, contracts..etc... can ward do it? maybe. but at this stage in his career is it wise to try? i'm not so sure. he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to do it himself...if he was...he would have done it long ago.

He is smart enough to pull it off. He's grown a fan base in Oakland, he needs to do a Sugar Ray, and a Mayweather. Be your own promoter and sub contract a GB or TR. I'd rather fail on my own then sink on someone else's boat. Like Denzel said in training day he needs to figure out if he's a wolf or a sheep laugh.gif

I heard that too about them telling Floyd Jr to stay away from him. He has a bad track record in boxing. I give him props for rap a lot, that's one of the iconic hip hop labels but this ain't hip hop, you can't do that strong arm shit in boxing. But it seems he keeps getting fighters. I think one day is run in boxing will come to an end, these young kids don't know him and eventually the dirt will come out
Plah
QUOTE (Junior80 @ Jun 17 2013, 10:06 PM) *
I hope to god ward doesn't sign with that piece of garbage arum, IMO arum ruined pacquaio , ruined our chances of a mayweather pacquaio fight, he is just trash, ward is so much better then that . He should go Haymon without a doubt....top rank is shit

Arum made Pac
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 18 2013, 01:01 AM) *
He is smart enough to pull it off. He's grown a fan base in Oakland, he needs to do a Sugar Ray, and a Mayweather. Be your own promoter and sub contract a GB or TR. I'd rather fail on my own then sink on someone else's boat. Like Denzel said in training day he needs to figure out if he's a wolf or a sheep laugh.gif

I heard that too about them telling Floyd Jr to stay away from him. He has a bad track record in boxing. I give him props for rap a lot, that's one of the iconic hip hop labels but this ain't hip hop, you can't do that strong arm shit in boxing. But it seems he keeps getting fighters. I think one day is run in boxing will come to an end, these young kids don't know him and eventually the dirt will come out

the fact that he is considering top rank tells me he's not educated enough on the matter to do it himself. i hear what you're saying and i agree.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 01:57 PM) *
the fact that he is considering top rank tells me he's not educated enough on the matter to do it himself. i hear what you're saying and i agree.

It's going to be real intriguing to see how this turns out......din't he say he wanted to return in the fall?
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 18 2013, 03:20 PM) *
It's going to be real intriguing to see how this turns out......din't he say he wanted to return in the fall?

yup. and i was under the impression it was going to be here in l.a. i'm going to be pissed if he jumps ship.
Junior80
QUOTE (Plah @ Jun 18 2013, 01:26 PM) *
Arum made Pac

Well you got me there, but putting him in against Marquez four times wasn't smart
MAHDI
[quote name='Franchize' date='Jun 17 2013, 08:20 PM' post='583732']
Ward will find out quick that Bob only wants to showcase his foreigners who are out there fighting for their country. As with Mayweather, Ward will become "just another n*gger" under Top Prank...

OK.. some real talk. I thought this type of talk would get someone banned but hey, I appreciate the real truth and someone who is not afraid to tell it. Ward may struggle to make money unless he jumps off of his gentleman jim persona and becomes controversial. Floyd was an olympian and while with Arum was a good, smiling, and pleasant young man--- yet he was not getting exposure and big money until he started acting other than himself. We will see what happens with Wards career. Right now hardly anyone in the World know who he is when mentioning his name
wolterb
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 02:57 PM) *

I'll give Ward the benefit of the doubt. Nothing about him suggests to me that he can't handle his own business. He would be a fool not to consider Top Rank. There are only so many promotion companies. I assume he's looking for the highest bidder.
xxxxxx
Andre Ward needs to forget 168 and start looking to 175. He already cleaned out the Division and there aint nothing there for him.
Franchize
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jun 19 2013, 02:38 PM) *
Andre Ward needs to forget 168 and start looking to 175. He already cleaned out the Division and there aint nothing there for him.

I actually think Chavez Jr and GGG are the biggest fights he can get right now. Unless he wants to go whoop up on Froch in England and get some overseas money.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 02:30 PM) *
yup. and i was under the impression it was going to be here in l.a. i'm going to be pissed if he jumps ship.

I wonder if he fights in the fall at all now since he's entangled in a legal dispute with his promoter, I just hope he doesn't end up in a career situation like Dirrell where we rarely see him and he ends up wasting his prime years
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 19 2013, 04:16 PM) *
I wonder if he fights in the fall at all now since he's entangled in a legal dispute with his promoter, I just hope he doesn't end up in a career situation like Dirrell where we rarely see him and he ends up wasting his prime years

this can be an issue...but i'm guessing goosen would take some money to walk away from the situation. he didn't put up much of a fight when guerrero left for golden boy.
daprofessor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 19 2013, 06:07 PM) *
this can be an issue...but i'm guessing goosen would take some money to walk away from the situation. he didn't put up much of a fight when guerrero left for golden boy.

the other thing...he may be with goosen on a fight by fight basis. in which case...there's nothing goosen can do if he walks away.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 19 2013, 05:07 PM) *

This is a crappy situation for all parties involved
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 19 2013, 02:12 PM) *
I actually think Chavez Jr and GGG are the biggest fights he can get right now. Unless he wants to go whoop up on Froch in England and get some overseas money.

Those fighters are both Middleweights and even if Chavez moves up he just got beat by Martinez. Ward already beat Froch easily. It's time to test himself and go to 175.
checkleft
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jun 20 2013, 12:38 AM) *
Those fighters are both Middleweights and even if Chavez moves up he just got beat by Martinez. Ward already beat Froch easily. It's time to test himself and go to 175.

It seems more or less like he wants exposure and money, not to "test" himself.
Genius
Frankly I don't think any promoter or anyone can make Ward a star, he's just not exciting enough and no one cares about those divisions.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 20 2013, 01:57 AM) *
It seems more or less like he wants exposure and money, not to "test" himself.

It does seem that way.
MAHDI
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 20 2013, 02:53 AM) *
Adonis is absolutely huge, and seems to have very heavy hands. It would be a challenge for ward to keep him at bay for 12 especially since ward isnt all that big

All the talk of how great Ward is, yet no clamor for him to move up and Fight Adonis... Floyd is expected to fight every damned weight class north of 147 lol.. How about it Andre. Go on up and face Adonis
mrchitown
^^^^ see this shit, I called it lol. Chistradamus is never wrong. People will always call for Mayweather Jr, Broner, and Ward to fight whoever the new guy in the block is or create some dude who seems like a monster to challenge them. It's no coincidence they do this to the black and undefeated fighters. They doing it with Mayweather and this Canelo stuff, and the media is trying to drum up interest in matthysse getting a cracked at him, they ridiculing Broner and I've read many times they thought he should fight Thurman instead of Malignaggi, now Ward is the latest victim of amateur match making. He'll I read a column by yahoo's Martin Rogers that said for Floyd to cement his legacy he should move up and fight Ward. I'm disgusted by people like that

Man you regular dudes make extraordinary people like me look even better laugh.gif

Professor knows the power of chistradamus
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 01:45 PM) *
^^^^ see this shit, I called it lol. Chistradamus is never wrong. People will always call for Mayweather Jr, Broner, and Ward to fight whoever the new guy in the block is or create some dude who seems like a monster to challenge them. It's no coincidence they do this to the black and undefeated fighters. They doing it with Mayweather and this Canelo stuff, and the media is trying to drum up interest in matthysse getting a cracked at him, they ridiculing Broner and I've read many times they thought he should fight Thurman instead of Malignaggi, now Ward is the latest victim of amateur match making. He'll I read a column by yahoo's Martin Rogers that said for Floyd to cement his legacy he should move up and fight Ward. I'm disgusted by people like that

Man you regular dudes make extraordinary people like me look even better laugh.gif

Professor knows the power of chistradamus

No offense but matthysse has a better resume then guerrero. Especially if he beats Garcia, but as a matthysse fan I don't think hes ready for Floyd. If he beats Garcia I expect a move to welterweight and a rematch with Alexander, and a fight against the guy who everyone is really the dude they are trying to hype for mayweather, maidana.
checkleft
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jun 20 2013, 10:21 AM) *
All the talk of how great Ward is, yet no clamor for him to move up and Fight Adonis... Floyd is expected to fight every damned weight class north of 147 lol.. How about it Andre. Go on up and face Adonis

The thing is adonis, in the US, is even less known than ward. In Montreal that would be big, and people have been asking ward to move up for a while. He has no challenges left at 168
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 20 2013, 02:23 PM) *
No offense but matthysse has a better resume then guerrero. Especially if he beats Garcia, but as a matthysse fan I don't think hes ready for Floyd. If he beats Garcia I expect a move to welterweight and a rematch with Alexander, and a fight against the guy who everyone is really the dude they are trying to hype for mayweather, maidana.

Totally disagree about the resume, matthysse lost to 2 fighters who did simple shit to him all night. He beat Lamont but where are the other names on his Ledger. he ain't fought Maidana yet and at least Robert was going to get it in against him. Though Ajose Olgussen is tough that doesn't show me he has a better resume then guerrero. Guerrero has berto on his ledger, and possibly Ortiz very soon if all goes the way it's looking like. Matthysse could get Garcia but that's not a given he gets past him and they going to let that Maidana-Mathyse fight blow up like arum did with Gamboa-Juanma
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 03:40 PM) *
Totally disagree about the resume, matthysse lost to 2 fighters who did simple shit to him all night. He beat Lamont but where are the other names on his Ledger. he ain't fought Maidana yet and at least Robert was going to get it in against him. Though Ajose Olgussen is tough that doesn't show me he has a better resume then guerrero. Guerrero has berto on his ledger, and possibly Ortiz very soon if all goes the way it's looking like. Matthysse could get Garcia but that's not a given he gets past him and they going to let that Maidana-Mathyse fight blow up like arum did with Gamboa-Juanma

The Alexander fight was a blatant robbery. The zab fight was a loss, people had it going both ways. but if you want to talk losses Robert has a loss and a draw against absolute nobodies. Guerrero has beaten???.. aydin? Berto? The lamont win tops any one of guerreros wins. Ajose in my eyes was a lot more than aydin who is a one handed hype job. Other than that he beat katsidis who is a human punching bag and can be put on the same level as soto. Guerrero has always been overrated
wolterb
I think Ward has earned himself a little bit of safe time in his division. He conquered the damn thing. I see nothing wrong in staying king at 168 for awhile - he is still young. I imagine like others have said, Ward is biding his time and waiting for the younger guns to gain some weight and move up to him.
MAHDI
Ward should move up and fight Adonis... 168 is dead...
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 20 2013, 03:20 PM) *
The Alexander fight was a blatant robbery. The zab fight was a loss, people had it going both ways. but if you want to talk losses Robert has a loss and a draw against absolute nobodies. Guerrero has beaten???.. aydin? Berto? The lamont win tops any one of guerreros wins. Ajose in my eyes was a lot more than aydin who is a one handed hype job. Other than that he beat katsidis who is a human punching bag and can be put on the same level as soto. Guerrero has always been overrated

I agree he Devon got some home cooking lol. But an L is an L and that's in Lucas' resume. Neither has an impressive resume that warrants much merit, but you say Guerrero is over rated then what is Lucas, you don't think people are over rating him. No one and I mean no one fell in love with the guy until he started moving guys. I don't hop on bandwagons like people are hopping on this guys and how people are seeing Adonis as some threat. Knockouts are cool but what will they do when their in with somebody they can't get outta there. Maybe Robert is over rated but Lucas sure as he'll is too
daprofessor
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jun 21 2013, 10:09 AM) *
Ward should move up and fight Adonis... 168 is dead...

we may have a new star this weekend if this cat that's fighting bika can beat him impressively.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 20 2013, 04:20 PM) *

i'll have to watch that fight again...i didn't think it was blatant robbery but they did let alexander get away with excessive holding and he stood on his bike giving matthysse very little opportunity.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 21 2013, 12:00 PM) *
I agree he Devon got some home cooking lol. But an L is an L and that's in Lucas' resume. Neither has an impressive resume that warrants much merit, but you say Guerrero is over rated then what is Lucas, you don't think people are over rating him. No one and I mean no one fell in love with the guy until he started moving guys. I don't hop on bandwagons like people are hopping on this guys and how people are seeing Adonis as some threat. Knockouts are cool but what will they do when their in with somebody they can't get outta there. Maybe Robert is over rated but Lucas sure as he'll is too

Idk when he "started moving people" because he has at the very least knocked down every one of his opponents throughout his whole career. And he only has two wins by decision I believe so if you mean knocking out people than your going back to the ams. Your acting like this dude has been dominated, his losses came against contenders.

And I never said he should be in the ring with mayweather, but he sure as hell deserved it more than guerrero not only because he has had it tougher but because he's the only dude in the world not calling him out and selling pitty stories to do it. Hell Alexander deserved it more than guerrero. Guerrero is VERY overrated, I was pissed when he got the mayweather fight. But what's done is done, who knows if guerrero and matth stay relevant maybe they face each other later on.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 21 2013, 07:59 PM) *
Idk when he "started moving people" because he has at the very least knocked down every one of his opponents throughout his whole career. And he only has two wins by decision I believe so if you mean knocking out people than your going back to the ams. Your acting like this dude has been dominated, his losses came against contenders.

And I never said he should be in the ring with mayweather, but he sure as hell deserved it more than guerrero not only because he has had it tougher but because he's the only dude in the world not calling him out and selling pitty stories to do it. Hell Alexander deserved it more than guerrero. Guerrero is VERY overrated, I was pissed when he got the mayweather fight. But what's done is done, who knows if guerrero and matth stay relevant maybe they face each other later on.

ok...i'm a lucas matthysse fan, but i disagree that guerrero is overrated.

he had 1 split decision loss that he avenged easily by stoppage and one that was ruled a nc because salido, a former champion, tested positive. there is no shame in losing to floyd. he's also held world titles in 2 weight classes prior to moving up to challenge floyd.

we can argue about their resumes but guerrero has the upper hand with his 2 world titles. matthysse has won interim or national titles...but hasn't won a world title yet. as far as competition...i think they're about even. if they were to fight each other...i don't know that matthysse beats robert. both of matthysse's losses are respectable and could be argued as wins. i saw them both and had him losing by a very narrow margin on each. as for how matthysse fairs against floyd....he has a punchers chance but i feel that floyd will out box him much easier than judah and alexander.
MAHDI
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 21 2013, 08:13 PM) *
ok...i'm a lucas matthysse fan, but i disagree that guerrero is overrated.

he had 1 split decision loss that he avenged easily by stoppage and one that was ruled a nc because salido, a former champion, tested positive. there is no shame in losing to floyd. he's also held world titles in 2 weight classes prior to moving up to challenge floyd.

we can argue about their resumes but guerrero has the upper hand with his 2 world titles. matthysse has won interim or national titles...but hasn't won a world title yet. as far as competition...i think they're about even. if they were to fight each other...i don't know that matthysse beats robert. both of matthysse's losses are respectable and could be argued as wins. i saw them both and had him losing by a very narrow margin on each. as for how matthysse fairs against floyd....he has a punchers chance but i feel that floyd will out box him much easier than judah and alexander.

Matthyse this.. Matthyse that... what I cannot get out of my mind is that he lost to the downside Zab Judah, and when people say he has a chance at Floyd I laugh my ass off... He would have problems with Shane Mosely...
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 21 2013, 06:59 PM) *

He ko'd some people big deal. He's on par nor slightly below Guerrero in terms of resume. He ain't the only one that's knocked every opponent they've faced down in the pros. He's just the latest. He lost to Zab and he arguably lost to Alexander. If Lamont would've stuck to the game plan and boxed this would be a non issue

I agree that Robert didn't deserve the fight, I really railed against it. But Lucas is not a ma Hine that some make him out to be, he's really just am argentine boxer with power. Good fighter not great, he may get derailed when. He faces Danny
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 21 2013, 10:11 PM) *
He ko'd some people big deal. He's on par nor slightly below Guerrero in terms of resume. He ain't the only one that's knocked every opponent they've faced down in the pros. He's just the latest. He lost to Zab and he arguably lost to Alexander. If Lamont would've stuck to the game plan and boxed this would be a non issue

I agree that Robert didn't deserve the fight, I really railed against it. But Lucas is not a ma Hine that some make him out to be, he's really just am argentine boxer with power. Good fighter not great, he may get derailed when. He faces Danny

Danny may get derailed to. No doubt Danny is solid to, but both will be each others biggest opponent. That's a great fight

But Robert was just a huge lightweight, there's absolutely nothing special about him. "One Arm" Aydin had him in some trouble and a blind berto busted him up as well. Hes gonna have trouble beating any real welters
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.