Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Random Thoughts...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
The Original MrFactor
The more Bernard Hopkins beats up on young prime guys at 175, the more legit he makes the Calzaghe win for Calzaghe. Everyone says that Calzaghe beat a well past it Hopkins and its really starting to look like Hopkins is still very good. Hopkins was just a young 43 years old at the time. Maybe Calzaghe was really very good. Something to think about...

Antonio Tarver ruined Roy Jones Jr. Tarver was the 1st decent fighter Jones fought with a height and reach advantage. Jones was very uncomfortable because he was getting hit on his way out and cornered. No weight drain, issues. PUNCH issues. Tarver was hitting him where he normally didnt get hit in the 1st fight. The second fight, he got caught with a huge shot on his way out of a corner. When fighting smaller guys, the Jones trick works. Fighting a big southpaw who is gonna swing even if he hits air, cost him. He was/is gun shy ever since. Probably should have retired after the 1st fight. His legacy is shot.

Mayweather also has matchup issues with guys who are bigger than him, who can touch him on his way out. He's actually smart enough not to have made those matches. Margarito and Williams come to mind. He took the DLH fight for the $$ aspect. He lost rounds when Oscar used his reach with jabs and straights. Oscar could hit Mayweather at range. In the Alvarez fight, Floyd has a significant reach advantage. THATS why the fight got made. What Floyd is banking on is that Alvarez is slow and can be outworked at range for 12 rounds. He may have miscalculated, like many did with the Trout fight for Canelo. Canelo is deceptively fast. That speed also has teeth. Dont be shocked if Mayweather sees canvas and/or gets stopped. Trout was bigger and stronger(allegedly) and couldnt avaiod those deceptively fast return fire punches.

The Klit brothers are top 5 all time heavyweights. They beat a who's who of the division today. Of course the boo birds will come out and say the division aint shit now. Kinda tough to tell because the Klits have so dominated the era. Nobody has emerged because they've been beaten back so badly. If the Klits werent there, we'd posibly get some decent fights between decent fighters. The 90's heavyweights, Ray Mercer, Morrison, Holy, Tyson, Moorer, Foreman, Lewis, Bowe were good fighters. With the exception of Lewis and Bowe, the Klits dominate the rest of the division similarly to their dominance today. Same with the 80's and 70's. It will be 20 years down the line when we appreciate these guys for their skills and dominance.

BRONER(AKA Mayweather Jr Jr) will not eclipse Mayweather. He will not be given the free passes that Mayweather got coming up. He will have to fight the best guys at 147 and quickly because people have already seen his show and didn't really like it the 1st time around with his daddy. In actually fighting the best, he will get clipped. Its inevitable. You know the saying, "Fool me once..." The world will not empty their pockets for a clone of a guy.
mgrover
Joe never beat Hopkins, that fight was a gift for Joe. Which really only adds to the greatness of Hopkins.

It seems he had immense trouble making weight, and more and more fighters are paying the price for being drained. Look at Dawson.

Someone once said it, if Mayweather didn't have his freakishly long reach he wouldn't be the same fighter he is today. Am not saying the hard work didn't mean anything, you've got learn how to use that reach.

Really? I'd wonder what they'd do if they were in with real animals, not the tamed cats that are called the heavyweight division today.

Course he won't, the mans a fool, an immature fool whom I hope Paulie outboxes.
mitukczuk
I disagree with almost everything you wrote, but that's ok.

B-Hop Issue - I am scoring that fight differently each time I watch it, so I am cool with Calzaghe taking the W...same as I would be cool with B-Hop taking it or the fight being a draw. I think that as long as B-Hop shits over his age his legacy only ill only grow. Calzaghe was good, but he didn't do anything historicaly significant. B-Hop was good in his 20's, 30's and 40's...it doesn't make a difference...

As for Roy Jones - The weight played a major part in his decline imo. Tarver was the right guy at the right place, which is not his fault....his victories are legit.

Mayweather - Prior to every fight I hear he might get knocked down or whatever....each guy since forever was supposed to have the ability to do terrible things to him...therefore I will never be worried until the fight starts and I see Floyd having troubles...that 0 is there for a reason. If the reason is his reach, so be it. It's the same thing with power, or speed....you can't teach that...you can only master it, Floyd did, Tyson did..thus they benefit(ed).

Klits - I like both of these guys. I think they would be a dominating force in any era.

Broner - not sold on him. Havent seen anything spectacular from him....
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 12:22 PM) *
The more Bernard Hopkins beats up on young prime guys at 175, the more legit he makes the Calzaghe win for Calzaghe. Everyone says that Calzaghe beat a well past it Hopkins and its really starting to look like Hopkins is still very good. Hopkins was just a young 43 years old at the time. Maybe Calzaghe was really very good. Something to think about...

Antonio Tarver ruined Roy Jones Jr. Tarver was the 1st decent fighter Jones fought with a height and reach advantage. Jones was very uncomfortable because he was getting hit on his way out and cornered. No weight drain, issues. PUNCH issues. Tarver was hitting him where he normally didnt get hit in the 1st fight. The second fight, he got caught with a huge shot on his way out of a corner. When fighting smaller guys, the Jones trick works. Fighting a big southpaw who is gonna swing even if he hits air, cost him. He was/is gun shy ever since. Probably should have retired after the 1st fight.
His legacy is shot.

Mayweather also has matchup issues with guys who are bigger than him, who can touch him on his way out. He's actually smart enough not to have made those matches. Margarito and Williams come to mind. He took the DLH fight for the $$ aspect. He lost rounds when Oscar used his reach with jabs and straights. Oscar could hit Mayweather at range. In the Alvarez fight, Floyd has a significant reach advantage. THATS why the fight got made. What Floyd is banking on is that Alvarez is slow and can be outworked at range for 12 rounds. He may have miscalculated, like many did with the Trout fight for Canelo. Canelo is deceptively fast. That speed also has teeth. Dont be shocked if Mayweather sees canvas and/or gets stopped. Trout was bigger and stronger(allegedly) and couldnt avaiod those deceptively fast return fire punches.

The Klit brothers are top 5 all time heavyweights. They beat a who's who of the division today. Of course the boo birds will come out and say the division aint shit now. Kinda tough to tell because the Klits have so dominated the era. Nobody has emerged because they've been beaten back so badly. If the Klits werent there, we'd posibly get some decent fights between decent fighters. The 90's heavyweights, Ray Mercer, Morrison, Holy, Tyson, Moorer, Foreman, Lewis, Bowe were good fighters. With the exception of Lewis and Bowe, the Klits dominate the rest of the division similarly to their dominance today. Same with the 80's and 70's. It will be 20 years down the line when we appreciate these guys for their skills and dominance.

BRONER(AKA Mayweather Jr Jr) will not eclipse Mayweather. He will not be given the free passes that Mayweather got coming up. He will have to fight the best guys at 147 and quickly because people have already seen his show and didn't really like it the 1st time around with his daddy. In actually fighting the best, he will get clipped. Its inevitable. You know the saying, "Fool me once..." The world will not empty their pockets for a clone of a guy.

i agree with all the bolded...i don't agree that rjj's legacy is shot. no one can undo what he did prior to tarver. he's sealed his spot in the hof. i also disagree about ppl miscalculating the canelo/trout fight. i had trout winning. that was some bullshit they pulled in texas.

as for the klits...top 5 all time? let's see...

jack dempsey
jack johnson
joe louis
ali
holmes
tyson
holyfield

they're clearly the best of this era...but that isn't saying much. good post.
daprofessor
since we're on random thoughts...i may as well post this here instead of creating a new thread.

fighters/trainers/managers and promoters need to learn to rebuild fighters.

juanma coming off of two losses...then two easy wins and gets thrown right back into the lions den. not a good thing. 3 ko losses in his last 5 fights is not the way to rebuild a guy. it's clear he has things to work out...issues to be resolved. these things take time. i know hindsight is 20/20 but the same can be said for angulo and amir khan. the problem is these guys aren't willing to take short money to go back to the drawing board. sometimes it's in their best interest to fly off the radar, off television, to develop properly. your flaw has been exposed for the world to see. it's not going to be corrected in one camp. there are lessons you need to learn. an immediate rematch is not necessary if you intend to have a long career. while it might seem like the brave thing to do...it isn't always the smartest thing to do seth mitchell. what's the rush? take your time chad dawson. you can bounce back from this stuff if you have the patience and understanding.

promoters cannot have the best interest of all the fighters. it's impossible. it's up to the managers and trainers to say no sometimes. it's not a crime. there's nothing wrong with him taking some easy fights while he works out his issues and fixes his flaws.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 03:10 PM) *
i agree with all the bolded...i don't agree that rjj's legacy is shot. no one can undo what he did prior to tarver. he's sealed his spot in the hof. i also disagree about ppl miscalculating the canelo/trout fight. i had trout winning. that was some bullshit they pulled in texas.

as for the klits...top 5 all time? let's see...

jack dempsey
jack johnson
joe louis
ali
holmes
tyson
holyfield

they're clearly the best of this era...but that isn't saying much. good post.

I agree with Trout winning. I thought he won more rounds than Alverez. Where I miscalculated was Alverez' speed. he was cleartly faster than Trout AND faster than most expected. Thats what really made the fight interesting because I thought Trout would Cotto, Alverez and it turned out to be a very different fight. Alverez is a very fast kid and its deceptive because of the style he fights. Thats all I'm saying. If Guerrero, Cotto and Ortiz can get Mayweather up against the ropes, Alverez will too. Dare I say, Alverez is bigger, stronger and faster and more resilient than the above guys. If Mayweather wins, he's gonna have his lumps because he will get hit.

Canelo's weakness is his body. Everyone thought he was gassed in the Trout fight. He wasnt gassed.Trout caught him around the kidneys and Canelo backed of. It was in the mid rounds. Canelo's activity came to a halt because of that. It effected him and Trout, nor his corner bothered to notice Canelo's body language. He was hurt bad and it showed when he kinda twisted to the side and backed up. Dumb ass commentators didnt notice it either. If Mayweather has any success in close quarters, he's should tap that body.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 02:10 PM) *
i don't agree that rjj's legacy is shot. no one can undo what he did prior to tarver. he's sealed his spot in the hof.

+1
I mean...the guy started at what...Jr Middle? and won a HW title !!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 18 2013, 03:28 PM) *
since we're on random thoughts...i may as well post this here instead of creating a new thread.

fighters/trainers/managers and promoters need to learn to rebuild fighters.

juanma coming off of two losses...then two easy wins and gets thrown right back into the lions den. not a good thing. 3 ko losses in his last 5 fights is not the way to rebuild a guy. it's clear he has things to work out...issues to be resolved. these things take time. i know hindsight is 20/20 but the same can be said for angulo and amir khan. the problem is these guys aren't willing to take short money to go back to the drawing board. sometimes it's in their best interest to fly off the radar, off television, to develop properly. your flaw has been exposed for the world to see. it's not going to be corrected in one camp. there are lessons you need to learn. an immediate rematch is not necessary if you intend to have a long career. while it might seem like the brave thing to do...it isn't always the smartest thing to do seth mitchell. what's the rush? take your time chad dawson. you can bounce back from this stuff if you have the patience and understanding.

promoters cannot have the best interest of all the fighters. it's impossible. it's up to the managers and trainers to say no sometimes. it's not a crime. there's nothing wrong with him taking some easy fights while he works out his issues and fixes his flaws.

I agree. Juanma should have been brought back slowly. He got way to much too soon after devastating losses. I questioned the matchmaking for last Saturday. He hadnt fought in a year and they threw him in with the guy who KO'd the guy who KO'd him. Not too bright. I think thi kid i finished as a top fighter. Too bad too. I liked his style, but he had his issues.

Chad Dawson is another guy who i saw as a KO waiting to happen. I think he's done as a top guy and he may even be a little punch drunk. His speech is deteriorating. Let me be the first to say, that Dawson has been done for a while. It wasnt Ward who did him in. It certainly contributed, but Dawson is not a fighter. He's lacked aggression and a passion for the game. You can see it by the way he's very passive in his fights. Doesnt really have a killer instinct and never has. He's not the Alpha male. Just not him. Not his personality. he went a stretch where he was fighting the oldest guys in the division. Then he fights 2 youn lions and gets starched soundly. He's been done...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 18 2013, 04:44 PM) *
+1
I mean...the guy started at what...Jr Middle? and won a HW title !!

No question that RJJ is a hall of famer. Do you still look at him the same way you did after the HW championship fight? I don't. The losses mean something to me. Its not even so much the losses, it how he lost those fights and to who he lost them to. Did he slip that much, that fast OR was something exposed in the Tarver fights that we hadnt seen before? Had RJJ ever fought a southpaw with a height and reach advantage that could box and crack? The answer is NO. The tale of the tape tells a story about a little fast guy darting in and getting hit on his way in. While inside he was able to throw some quick combo's but couldnt get out without taking return fire and thus ending up an the ropes and taking more leather. I think the weight issue was just an excuse.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 03:58 PM) *
No question that RJJ is a hall of famer. Do you still look at him the same way you did after the HW championship fight? I don't. The losses mean something to me. Its not even so much the losses, it how he lost those fights and to who he lost them to. Did he slip that much, that fast OR was something exposed in the Tarver fights that we hadnt seen before? Had RJJ ever fought a southpaw with a height and reach advantage that could box and crack? The answer is NO. The tale of the tape tells a story about a little fast guy darting in and getting hit on his way in. While inside he was able to throw some quick combo's but couldnt get out without taking return fire and thus ending up an the ropes and taking more leather. I think the weight issue was just an excuse.

You definitely have a point. BUT...though the weight might not be the whole story....there are scientific and experience proofs that losing that much weight (muscle - which is worse, fat or water) has a negative effect on the body. And Roy had to deal with all of them in lil bit over half a year - that's harsh and very risky, but again..it was his dumb decision so no excuses. This cannot be denied. However...I think Tarver really was the right guy at the right place and he got to Roy, wasn't affraid of him and deserved his victories and I think he would have a solid chance even against prime Roy - no question about it. I love upsets and when I saw Tarver KO Roy it was an awesome moment for me as a boxing fan. The other loses further stem from Roy losing his step and from him not knowing that he can't compete on the highest level anymore. Jones benefited from his reflexes but I tell people over and over...that's not boxing. You can't base your game only on reflexes and speed. These things diminish with time and you gotta have a plan B and C....same with SRL. These guys were in a way terribly one dimensional...

But again...you do have a point man. Good thread!
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 04:43 PM) *
I agree with Trout winning. I thought he won more rounds than Alverez. Where I miscalculated was Alverez' speed. he was cleartly faster than Trout AND faster than most expected. Thats what really made the fight interesting because I thought Trout would Cotto, Alverez and it turned out to be a very different fight. Alverez is a very fast kid and its deceptive because of the style he fights. Thats all I'm saying. If Guerrero, Cotto and Ortiz can get Mayweather up against the ropes, Alverez will too. Dare I say, Alverez is bigger, stronger and faster and more resilient than the above guys. If Mayweather wins, he's gonna have his lumps because he will get hit.

Canelo's weakness is his body. Everyone thought he was gassed in the Trout fight. He wasnt gassed.Trout caught him around the kidneys and Canelo backed of. It was in the mid rounds. Canelo's activity came to a halt because of that. It effected him and Trout, nor his corner bothered to notice Canelo's body language. He was hurt bad and it showed when he kinda twisted to the side and backed up. Dumb ass commentators didnt notice it either. If Mayweather has any success in close quarters, he's should tap that body.

i've always noticed his speed and his counter punching ability. the thing that surprised me most about the trout fight was that canelo decided to fight defensively. he let trout bring the fight to him. he showed patience and very good head movement. trout obliged him by trying to lead. floyd is much more patient than trout and he knows he's the "A" side where trout was the "B" side so he had no choice. if canelo had fought like cotto...he would have gotten picked apart. trout does best when his opponents come at him. floyd on the other hand has shown an ability to lead and still be effective. he'll walk canelo down and still make him miss and pay. floyd has a lot more in his arsenal than trout. canelo will have his chance when floyd decides to post up on the ropes. i think at that point....floyd will have already declawed and defanged him so he won't do much there. plus...floyd showed great foot movement in his fight against guerrero. with floyd sr back in his corner, i can't see that disappearing by september. canelo doesn't fight for all 3 minutes. him sitting back letting floyd rest and do what he wants when he wants is going to be his undoing. once floyd starts to feint and pot shot him at will and give him nothing in return...canelo is going to be discouraged and desperate and playing catch up just like the rest of them.
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 04:50 PM) *
I agree. Juanma should have been brought back slowly. He got way to much too soon after devastating losses. I questioned the matchmaking for last Saturday. He hadnt fought in a year and they threw him in with the guy who KO'd the guy who KO'd him. Not too bright. I think thi kid i finished as a top fighter. Too bad too. I liked his style, but he had his issues.

Chad Dawson is another guy who i saw as a KO waiting to happen. I think he's done as a top guy and he may even be a little punch drunk. His speech is deteriorating. Let me be the first to say, that Dawson has been done for a while. It wasnt Ward who did him in. It certainly contributed, but Dawson is not a fighter. He's lacked aggression and a passion for the game. You can see it by the way he's very passive in his fights. Doesnt really have a killer instinct and never has. He's not the Alpha male. Just not him. Not his personality. he went a stretch where he was fighting the oldest guys in the division. Then he fights 2 youn lions and gets starched soundly. He's been done...

hard to argue any of that. i think his jumping from trainer to trainer didn't help him much either.
checkleft
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 03:58 PM) *

Bro. He lost more than 20 pounds in less than a year, I couldn't gain 20 pounds of muscle or fat in that much time if I tried. Losing that much weight in that short period will affect ANYONE negatively. And your acting like he came back and had tune up fights, glen Johnson? Antonio tarver? Not slouches
If you can't respect that your whole perspective is whack
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 18 2013, 07:24 PM) *
Bro. He lost more than 20 pounds in less than a year, I couldn't gain 20 pounds of muscle or fat in that much time if I tried. Losing that much weight in that short period will affect ANYONE negatively. And your acting like he came back and had tune up fights, glen Johnson? Antonio tarver? Not slouches
If you can't respect that your whole perspective is whack

the thing about it...no one forced roy to lose that weight. he did that to himself 8 months after the ruiz fight. ppl forget he won the first fight. then the rematch came a full 15 months after the ruiz fight. he was 193 for the ruiz fight and dropped back down to 175 then 174 for the rematch. i'm not convinced the weight had everything to do with that. roy had just never been hit like that in a fight. the only other person to ever catch him like that was del valle who put him down for the first time in his pro career.
The Original MrFactor
RJJ had that kind of decision power too. If he was having difficulty making weight, he could choose to not fight. It was that simple. Tarver got under Roy's skin at a press conference. Roy blew him off to some degree and then made the fight 8months and 20 pounds aint that big of a deal. If thats what his issue was, then apparently he never recovered because he's like 7 and 7 since the 1st Tarver fight?? Against top 10 guys he's been blasted. Not just beaten, BLASTED. yes, he's well past it, but Tarver destroyed the mystique. His wins since the Tarver loss were all questionable guys.

Jones legitimized all of the questions about his competition prior to the Tarver KO, by being so bad after the KO. His biggest wins wet McCallum, Toney, Hopkins and Tarver. Those wins alone show he could fight, but his opponent selection at times was very questionable.
Franchize

Antonio Tarver ruined Roy Jones Jr. Tarver was the 1st decent fighter Jones fought with a height and reach advantage. Jones was very uncomfortable because he was getting hit on his way out and cornered. No weight drain, issues. PUNCH issues. Tarver was hitting him where he normally didnt get hit in the 1st fight. The second fight, he got caught with a huge shot on his way out of a corner. When fighting smaller guys, the Jones trick works. Fighting a big southpaw who is gonna swing even if he hits air, cost him. He was/is gun shy ever since. Probably should have retired after the 1st fight. His legacy is shot.

I too disagree with a lot of the things you said but that's what makes for healthy discussion.

#1 While B Hop didn't do a lot in that fight, I thought he outboxed Calzaghe. Joe's pucnhes were pitty pat BS. I also have no respect for a guy who fights 2 fighters of worth then goes into retirement.

#2 Tarver did ruin RJJr but I totally disagree that the weight had nothing to do with it.

#3 I get Paul Williams, but I NEVER understood why people continue to think Margacheato would have been a threat for Floyd. I personally think Floyd would have embarrassed him. I see that fight ending like exactly like the Baldomir fight. Magarito missing all night and getting countered. That Roberto Garcia school of boxing don't work on Floyd. If your claim to fame is being tough as nails and able to take a punch and keep coming...you're going to get to express that all night vs Floyd because he's going to tattoo you.

#4 The Klitchkos beat a who the fuck is this in the division. Not a who's who. More like a who the fuck are you. While it's not their fault, no way are they top 5...especially not Wladimir. Not only are they not on the level of the all time greats, I think guys like Larry Holmes in his prime would absolutely school them. Vitali is the Dwight Howard of boxing. Best of his era but his era is incredibly flawed.

#5 I agree Broner will take an L eventually but what "passes" did Floyd get coming up. He pretty much fought everyone willing to fight him when he was with Top Prank. People conveniently forget Mosley was the one who ducked him dating back to the Vargas fight. De La Hoya also didn't want parts and Cotto was reluctant after sitting ringside and watching the boxing 101 Floyd professed to Gatti.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 19 2013, 12:50 AM) *
#3 I get Paul Williams, but I NEVER understood why people continue to think Margacheato would have been a threat for Floyd. I personally think Floyd would have embarrassed him. I see that fight ending like exactly like the Baldomir fight. Magarito missing all night and getting countered. That Roberto Garcia school of boxing don't work on Floyd. If your claim to fame is being tough as nails and able to take a punch and keep coming...you're going to get to express that all night vs Floyd because he's going to tattoo you.

Margarito and Baldomir are such different fighters, yet syou think that Mayweather/Margarito would have been similar to Mayweather/Baldomir. Margarito has a reach advantage over Mayweather. How many times has Mayweather faced a guy with a reach advantage?? Once, DLH for monetary reasons. DLH legitimately gave him problems when he fought at range. All other Mayweather opponents had reach equal or significantly less than May's. Those matchups are by design. Baldomir's reach is significantly less than Mayweathers and even moreso, Margarito's. Baldomir at the time had maybe 10 KO's. Margarito had 20 something in fewer fights during that time period. Margarito was significantly taller than Mayweather and Baldomir. Baldomir was like 36 at the time. Margarito may have been 30 and in his prime.

With all of those differences, how can you say the fights would have been the same? Margarito would have hit Mayweather more than Baldomir. It was just his style. It would have been no walk in the park otherwise it would have been made and done when May was a TR guy. Margarito will always taint Mayweathers legacy because there will be assholes like myself who will keep bringing him up. Mayweather is great and a HOFer, but those barbershop/boxing forum conversations will always have him running from Margarito.

checkleft
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 19 2013, 12:33 AM) *
Margarito and Baldomir are such different fighters, yet syou think that Mayweather/Margarito would have been similar to Mayweather/Baldomir. Margarito has a reach advantage over Mayweather. How many times has Mayweather faced a guy with a reach advantage?? Once, DLH for monetary reasons. DLH legitimately gave him problems when he fought at range. All other Mayweather opponents had reach equal or significantly less than May's. Those matchups are by design. Baldomir's reach is significantly less than Mayweathers and even moreso, Margarito's. Baldomir at the time had maybe 10 KO's. Margarito had 20 something in fewer fights during that time period. Margarito was significantly taller than Mayweather and Baldomir. Baldomir was like 36 at the time. Margarito may have been 30 and in his prime.

With all of those differences, how can you say the fights would have been the same? Margarito would have hit Mayweather more than Baldomir. It was just his style. It would have been no walk in the park otherwise it would have been made and done when May was a TR guy. Margarito will always taint Mayweathers legacy because there will be assholes like myself who will keep bringing him up. Mayweather is great and a HOFer, but those barbershop/boxing forum conversations will always have him running from Margarito.

Really? You think TR and arum would have made a fight between and I quote "the greatest talent since Ali" (arum) and a guy who was supposedly suppose to be such a big threat to him? Margarito wasn't even a known fighter back then come on bro. I never understood why people say HE ducked marg when he actually had a promoter back then.

Williams was a duck. Everyone ducked him, he was a nightmare at welterweight
checkleft
And dlh didn't give may many problems at range. Watch the fight, at range mayweather easily tagged him with his speed, most of his rounds he got he won on the inside.

How can you argue for margarito giving Floyd trouble because of length when marg doesn't even use reach? Lol he is an in fighter bro he doesn't want to be far he wants his guys on the ropes.
mrchitown
I'll never understand how Calzaghe got the nod over Hopkins. I've said it for years. that was a 115-113 fight for Bernard. I had the rounds 6 to 6. But what put Bernard over Calzaghe was the knockdown. Aint no way you can give Joe any of the first 6 rounds. He did his thing 7 thru 12, but I laugt at anyone who claims this man one that fight

As far as RJJ, the punch by Tarver was..I don't want to say luck but what else can I say? He didn't even look when he threw it lol, the weight fucked Roy more then anything. I debated this with someone on this board some months back. I reached out to Nate Campbell, my cousin who fought Nate, and I spoke to David Diaz and they all said that that kind of weight loss will have a bad effect on a fighter, plus it's studies that show it has a negative effect. Shit, Tarver gained some weight for that role in that rocky movie, came back to boxing and fought B-Hop and he aint looked the same since. Byrd dropped from heavy to light-heavy and look how he got clipped in that fight on ESPN. Facts is facts

P Will would have posed a threat to Mayweather jr but not because of his reach but because of his activity, Margarito is laughable, when did he pose a threat, I think Floyd would've ate his lunch if they fought...I wish they would've so people could cut the shit about Margarito and Floyd

Klitschko's top 5...are you trolling lol

Broner gon take an L, I don't know whose going to give it to him though. It could be any one of the guys coming up from 140 though...like Lucas, Danny, hell, maybe even Lamont. He's going to get a run for his money one day
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 19 2013, 12:33 AM) *

The smartest thing you said in your whole post lol. I'm fucking with you lol...but I don't see how Margarito posed a threat, I think their styles would have made for an interesting fight on paper but Margs never was that bright in the ring, no athleticism what so ever, just plod forward and throw punches. That may have worked with the opposition he faced before but he wouldn't have had success like that against Floyd. I don't think he would've touched Floyd any more then the average boxer would've. Hate or love him he's a defensive mastermind, there's is next to nil you can say to sell me on what he could do to crack that code. What? Throw a lot of punches, shit then by that standard I should get a fight, I can do that

It is good forum and shop talk but most people on forums and in barbershops aint fought in they life and wouldn't bust a grape in a food fight
anthonyaccurate
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 12:22 PM) *

How's Jermain Taylor looking? He "beat" Hopkins twice when he was even younger than the Cal fight. Btw, I don't give Cal that win, I think some of the disdain for Hopkins combined with the "white boy" comment led to the biased announcing (along with the already talked about fight with Roy for Cal) and scoring. Lot of shoe shining and missed blows. There's a video on youtube that breaks that fight down damn near blow by blow, very interesting, I think its called "the Calzaghe Conspiracy" or something like that..
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (anthonyaccurate @ Jun 19 2013, 06:27 AM) *
How's Jermain Taylor looking? He "beat" Hopkins twice when he was even younger than the Cal fight. Btw, I don't give Cal that win, I think some of the disdain for Hopkins combined with the "white boy" comment led to the biased announcing (along with the already talked about fight with Roy for Cal) and scoring. Lot of shoe shining and missed blows. There's a video on youtube that breaks that fight down damn near blow by blow, very interesting, I think its called "the Calzaghe Conspiracy" or something like that..

Its called the Calzaghe Deception. I just got through watching it. Thanks for that blurb. Its very convincing. I want to actually go back and watch the entire fight before I come back and say, yeah, Hopkins won. Its a very good detailed breakdown. There are portions of the fight that he skips through where he says there was no action, just "feeling out." The entire fight as it was is also on Youtube. I'll check it out later today.
Dolimite
My Random Thoughts:

1. Why are people still bringing up the same fighters that Mayweather should of fought, like Margarito and P Williams? One is slower than syrup and the other is a taller version of Brandon Rios's fighting style. But whatever, to end this argument: Mayweather would of gotten his ass handed to him by both men; happy?

2. Is it me or did Broner and Paulie kill their fight with all the bullshit they did before the fight? I am not even excited about this fight.

3. Will Crawford leave top rank for brighter fields?

4. Will Oscar ever get off the coke and stop being an attention whore?

5. How long will Shaefer let Oscar run Golden Boy before he just takes over?

6. Who would win in a shit talking contest, Angel Garcia or Ruben Guerrero?

7. Why isn't Jeff Mayweather considered a top Trainer?

8. If Canelo loses where does he go from there... will he go up in weight or finally clear out his division?

9. Will Benard Hopkins ever retire?

10 Will James Tony ever retire?

11. Who will win game 7?
wolterb
^I think Angel. Ruben has a motor-mouth but no bite to it - elementary level. Angel knows how to talk shit properly
xxxxxx
I just ordered Showtime today. I already had HBO. The reason I subscribe to these 2 channels is basically for the Boxing. It was a tough decision, but after looking into it Showtime is the present and future of Boxing. I nearly dropped my HBO(I've had HBO for over 10 years), but decided to carry them both for awhile and see how things play out. There was just too many good Boxing matches and interesting Boxing buildups to come on Showtime to not be a part of it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 18 2013, 11:17 PM) *
RJJ had that kind of decision power too. If he was having difficulty making weight, he could choose to not fight. It was that simple. Tarver got under Roy's skin at a press conference. Roy blew him off to some degree and then made the fight 8months and 20 pounds aint that big of a deal. If thats what his issue was, then apparently he never recovered because he's like 7 and 7 since the 1st Tarver fight?? Against top 10 guys he's been blasted. Not just beaten, BLASTED. yes, he's well past it, but Tarver destroyed the mystique. His wins since the Tarver loss were all questionable guys.

Jones legitimized all of the questions about his competition prior to the Tarver KO, by being so bad after the KO. His biggest wins wet McCallum, Toney, Hopkins and Tarver. Those wins alone show he could fight, but his opponent selection at times was very questionable.

i was at the jones/ruiz fight and met tarver right before he called roy out. i asked what was next for him and he said he was there to call out roy. i thought this dude is crazy!

the thing that stuck out most to me was when Merck was interviewed before the fight he made the comment...."there's only so many times you can look down that barrell of the shotgun and avoid what's coming before you get hit." that told me he knew that roys style of defense would catch up with him eventually and i agreed. i've always thought roy would eventually get caught if someone was willing to commit to the shot. most of the guys who fought him were too scared to throw with him...to slow...or just too limited.
Franchize
1. Why are people still bringing up the same fighters that Mayweather should of fought, like Margarito and P Williams? One is slower than syrup and the other is a taller version of Brandon Rios's fighting style. But whatever, to end this argument: Mayweather would of gotten his ass handed to him by both men; happy?

2. Is it me or did Broner and Paulie kill their fight with all the bullshit they did before the fight? I am not even excited about this fight.

8. If Canelo loses where does he go from there... will he go up in weight or finally clear out his division?

11. Who will win game 7?

1.Haters gonna hate lol. More people talk about Floyd ALMOST losing to Castillo 13 years ago than Manny actually being KO'd numerous times.

2.In a way...yes. It was entertaining until Ms Weekend Pussy was introduced. Then it became petty and uninteresting.

3. If he's smart...yes. My guess is that Arum will entice him with one big pay day trap of a fight. A lose lose situation like Bradley vs Pacquiao. Then he'll be stuck with a long term contract and short term notoriety.

4. No comment

5. LET him run it?

6. Angel because Ruben talks about irrelevant shit and talks out of his ass. Angel speaks "the troof".

7. One name. Deandre Lattimore. I had hope for this kid. He let Jeff down. He never executes the game plan for an entire fight.

8. Wherever he wants. I think this is a win win situation for him. I don't see any fights he can't get even if he loses...including a Mayweather rematch.

9. Only if somehow he fights Ward...in which he'll get beat into retirement.

10. No. I can see him saying to his grandkids. "C'mon James the 3rd. We're about to go to the arena so you can watch grandaddy whoop this young Thundercat's ass."

11. Fuck the Heat and fuck the Finals. Predictable bullshit
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 19 2013, 12:09 PM) *
My Random Thoughts:

11. Who will win game 7?

1. he would've schooled margarito's slow ass...but he would have had difficulty with PW.

2. fight was never really intriguing to begin with.

3. no any time soon.

4. hard to do when he's been the center of attention for a good portion of his life.

5. don't get it twisted...schaeffer has been running it since day one.

6. angel ktfo's ruben with the troof.

7. still earning his stripes...hasn't had a top notch champion yet.

8. not if, when...and he's not clearing out anything.

9. yes. but i'm letting the man take his time.

10. please! soon. he's not sounding too good.

11. the bulls.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 19 2013, 03:12 PM) *
1. he would've schooled margarito's slow ass...but he would have had difficulty with PW.

3. no any time soon.

4. hard to do when he's been the center of attention for a good portion of his life.

11. the bulls.

In 2020?
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 19 2013, 06:41 PM) *
In 2020?

They went farther then any LA team, Kobe is dead and the Lakers ain't shit with him no way, the clips rely in a light skinned cat who can only dunk, they ain't winning shit. Bulls got a bright future

I knew the holimite would come out, you was doing so good as dolomite but you keep letting your alter ego get the best of you lol
mrchitown
And whose the dumb ass on this board that called the Miami heat the Miami heats? Lol, bandwagon ass fans I tell you laugh.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 19 2013, 06:32 PM) *
They went farther then any LA team, Kobe is dead and the Lakers ain't shit with him no way, the clips rely in a light skinned cat who can only dunk, they ain't winning shit. Bulls got a bright future

I knew the holimite would come out, you was doing so good as dolomite but you keep letting your alter ego get the best of you lol

NICE!!!

Actually I haven't been cheering for the lakers since they let Phil Jackson go and Shaq/ Kobe has been the death of that team

Blake G. is another Chris Carter, one trick pony! Doc Rivers will be the new coach of the Clip so will see what happens.
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 19 2013, 02:06 PM) *
1.Haters gonna hate lol. More people talk about Floyd ALMOST losing to Castillo 13 years ago than Manny actually being KO'd numerous times.

2.In a way...yes. It was entertaining until Ms Weekend Pussy was introduced. Then it became petty and uninteresting.

3. If he's smart...yes. My guess is that Arum will entice him with one big pay day trap of a fight. A lose lose situation like Bradley vs Pacquiao. Then he'll be stuck with a long term contract and short term notoriety.

4. No comment

5. LET him run it?

6. Angel because Ruben talks about irrelevant shit and talks out of his ass. Angel speaks "the troof".

7. One name. Deandre Lattimore. I had hope for this kid. He let Jeff down. He never executes the game plan for an entire fight.

8. Wherever he wants. I think this is a win win situation for him. I don't see any fights he can't get even if he loses...including a Mayweather rematch.

9. Only if somehow he fights Ward...in which he'll get beat into retirement.

10. No. I can see him saying to his grandkids. "C'mon James the 3rd. We're about to go to the arena so you can watch grandaddy whoop this young Thundercat's ass."

11. Fuck the Heat and fuck the Finals. Predictable bullshit

Don't status that conspirators stuff. I'm a kings fan so I hear a lot about that, but I've played and watched too much organized ball for anyone to convince me shit is fixed lol. Players and coaches win games not refs
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 19 2013, 06:12 PM) *

3. no any time soon.

11. the bulls.

Don't get me started on the bulls lol

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 19 2013, 09:34 PM) *
And whose the dumb ass on this board that called the Miami heat the Miami heats? Lol, bandwagon ass fans I tell you laugh.gif

Yea heat fans are looking pretty bad after last night. Golden state has always had the best fans in my opinion
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 19 2013, 09:35 PM) *
NICE!!!

Actually I haven't been cheering for the lakers since they let Phil Jackson go and Shaq/ Kobe has been the death of that team

Blake G. is another Chris Carter, one trick pony! Doc Rivers will be the new coach of the Clip so will see what happens.

If the clips get doc they going to be a beast, some think he's over rated but I think he gets the best out of his players
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 19 2013, 10:05 PM) *
Don't status that conspirators stuff. I'm a kings fan so I hear a lot about that, but I've played and watched too much organized ball for anyone to convince me shit is fixed lol. Players and coaches win games not refs

Don't get me started on the bulls lol

Yea heat fans are looking pretty bad after last night. Golden state has always had the best fans in my opinion

The Miami fans are very annoying, they expect to win everything and they win or lose always leave during the late 3rd or in the 4th quarter. Just like last night, how do you pay for those seats and just up and leave, if it was me I'd be in there watching the cleanup crew go thru the aisles and work.
mrchitown
Who do you guys think has the best chance of defeating Andre Ward? I was talking to some people at the gym and some seem to think Adonis may get the job done at light heavy
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 01:23 AM) *
Who do you guys think has the best chance of defeating Andre Ward? I was talking to some people at the gym and some seem to think Adonis may get the job done at light heavy

Adonis is absolutely huge, and seems to have very heavy hands. It would be a challenge for ward to keep him at bay for 12 especially since ward isnt all that big
Cshel86
LMAO at Dolimite's questionnaire and the responses! Yall are too much for me!

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 02:16 AM) *
If the clips get doc they going to be a beast, some think he's over rated but I think he gets the best out of his players

clips are my #2 team.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 19 2013, 07:41 PM) *
In 2020?

laugh.gif lakers ain't winning another one with kobe. the bulls will get another ring before the lakers do.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 02:23 AM) *

andre ward...or father time.
Cshel86
My random thought...

Hasn't Pat Russell pumpfaked us all over the past couple of years?

He absolutely sucked at making the right call for that travesty of a fight, in Dawson/Hopkins I. Then he seemed to have stopped Rios/Alvarado I too early, but let Bradley flop around the ring like a wet chicken against Provodnikov.

The ultimate pumpfake...thanks Pat.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 20 2013, 03:36 PM) *
My random thought...

Hasn't Pat Russell pumpfaked us all over the past couple of years?

He absolutely sucked at making the right call for that travesty of a fight, in Dawson/Hopkins I. Then he seemed to have stopped Rios/Alvarado I too early, but let Bradley flop around the ring like a wet chicken against Provodnikov.

The ultimate pumpfake...thanks Pat.

i disagree.

he know bflop was faking. it was the right call.

rios/alvarado 1 was a good stoppage.

bradley defended himself and fought back the whole time when he was hurt.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 20 2013, 02:34 PM) *
andre ward...or father time.

I agree on father time, the only one whose still undefeated. I don't see anyone at 168 or 175 that can beat him, I used to have faith in Dirrell when they were both in the super 6 because I think Dirrell brings a great mix of attributes to the table but he fights so sporadically we probably will never see the guy reach his full potential. I think the punching prowess of Stevenson is the only threat to Ward if they fight but I spoke to some people who disagree with that
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 20 2013, 02:38 PM) *
i disagree.

he know bflop was faking. it was the right call.

rios/alvarado 1 was a good stoppage.

bradley defended himself and fought back the whole time when he was hurt.

Trust me that was not a flop. I unfortunately witnessed that debacle up close and from the moment he went down I could tell it was real because I saw the knot on top of his shoulder. Chad wanted to wrestle that night

Bradley defended himself all right but I wouldn't have been upset with a stoppage for Prvodnikov. I think he took a lot out of Timmy's career that night and I don't think he'll be the same
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 06:22 PM) *
Trust me that was not a flop. I unfortunately witnessed that debacle up close and from the moment he went down I could tell it was real because I saw the knot on top of his shoulder. Chad wanted to wrestle that night

Bradley defended himself all right but I wouldn't have been upset with a stoppage for Prvodnikov. I think he took a lot out of Timmy's career that night and I don't think he'll be the same

well...unless you were standing next to the doctor examining him...i think the camera shot was pretty accurate and told the story. i didn't see a knot. and as someone who has suffered through a dislocated shoulder, torn rotator cuff and partially torn ligaments....i know for fact that you can't see shit on an xray and the only way to see it is with a mri. bhop never produced one. he only produced a letter in which his doctor basically said, 'yes i saw bernard. he said he hurt his shoulder.' or some bullshit to that effect. bhop has a history of flopping. *see bhop/allen 1 and bhop/rjj 2. the bully got bullied and he knew what he was in for and opted to fake injury instead of taking what he had coming.

as for bradley....i agree. i seriously doubt he's going to be the same. i wouldn't be shocked if jmm stops him.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 20 2013, 07:47 PM) *
well...unless you were standing next to the doctor examining him...i think the camera shot was pretty accurate and told the story. i didn't see a knot. and as someone who has suffered through a dislocated shoulder, torn rotator cuff and partially torn ligaments....i know for fact that you can't see shit on an xray and the only way to see it is with a mri. bhop never produced one. he only produced a letter in which his doctor basically said, 'yes i saw bernard. he said he hurt his shoulder.' or some bullshit to that effect. bhop has a history of flopping. *see bhop/allen 1 and bhop/rjj 2. the bully got bullied and he knew what he was in for and opted to fake injury instead of taking what he had coming.

as for bradley....i agree. i seriously doubt he's going to be the same. i wouldn't be shocked if jmm stops him.

I think it's a case of the boy crying wolf and no one believing him and that's what he gets. I've seen those fights you mentioned and he was playing it up a bit too much. But I made the mistake of paying for ringside seats for the first fight with him and Dawson and he kinda leaped up on Dawsons back and Chad got him off of him, but the way he went down the impact it made and I saw with my own eyes fuck what a tv showed a knot on his shoulder and others said they saw it too. I'm gonna go with my vision on this one. I remember the doctors note

I wish bradley would've just boxed and not tried to show he had heart that night because us real fans knew he did. He shouldn't of tried to erase the memory of the Pacquiao fight because that wasn't his fault that's the judges issue, and I totally agree that if there's slippage in him JMM will show it
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 20 2013, 10:15 PM) *
I think it's a case of the boy crying wolf and no one believing him and that's what he gets. I've seen those fights you mentioned and he was playing it up a bit too much. But I made the mistake of paying for ringside seats for the first fight with him and Dawson and he kinda leaped up on Dawsons back and Chad got him off of him, but the way he went down the impact it made and I saw with my own eyes fuck what a tv showed a knot on his shoulder and others said they saw it too. I'm gonna go with my vision on this one. I remember the doctors note

I wish bradley would've just boxed and not tried to show he had heart that night because us real fans knew he did. He shouldn't of tried to erase the memory of the Pacquiao fight because that wasn't his fault that's the judges issue, and I totally agree that if there's slippage in him JMM will show it

i want to find bradley and talk some sense into him because it seems he's on this warrior bullshit now and that's only going to shorten his career. fuck the pac fight...move on. beat the guy who starched him and all is forgiven imo. i had the pac/bradley fight even.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 20 2013, 10:21 PM) *
i want to find bradley and talk some sense into him because it seems he's on this warrior bullshit now and that's only going to shorten his career. fuck the pac fight...move on. beat the guy who starched him and all is forgiven imo. i had the pac/bradley fight even.

He needs to be talked to about the way he's fighting, that's really not him. His pops is supposed to be this big stern disciplinarian type, he needs to lay down the law and let his son know he's taking unnecessary risks in there. Diaz is close to him, I'm hoping he pulls Tim to the side and let's him know that that's not the way he should be fighting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.