Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GGG Wants Mayweather:
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Dolimite
http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-maywea...nt-fight--67178

I don't have a problem with GGG wanting Mayweather, however, he is a 160 fighter and there is plenty of fighters that he should be concentrating on. Peter Kid Chocolate Quillen, Sergio Martinez and a few others. he is saying he would come down to 154 but still. If Mayweather says no to GGG, it s a duck and he is scared. Like the late great Manny Steward would say: We have weight classes for a reason.

Any thoughts?
wolterb
you can hardly blame him for throwing the name out there. everyone else is from 140 - 160 lol

I agree with steward though. ggg is on his way with or without mayweather, he should just keep scratching off names at MW. but of course, no one can resist the temptation of trying to fight the star for a lifetime high payday
Dolimite
QUOTE (wolterb @ Jun 30 2013, 11:07 AM) *
you can hardly blame him for throwing the name out there. everyone else is from 140 - 160 lol

I agree with steward though. ggg is on his way with or without mayweather, he should just keep scratching off names at MW. but of course, no one can resist the temptation of trying to fight the star for a lifetime high payday

He is a welter weight!!!!!! Why the hell is a full fledged Middleweight calling out someone who is two weight classes below him. I don't care if he is willing to come down to 154, it still makes no sense. Call out Ward, Canelo, Chavez Jr, Kirkland, Kid Chocolate, but a welter weight? And what money would GGG bring to Mayweather.

If Mayweather called out Mikey Garcia, Russell Jr. or Crawford he would be crucified. People are still saying Mayweather ducked Pacquiao. This is fat ass Dan Rafael's comment about the matter: I have people saying Floyd should fight GGG at 154. Um, OK. He wouldn't fight Pacquiao but he'd fight that beast? Please, people. #never

The inference in his text is that Mayweather ducked Pac because of his "power" (Bradley didn't seem to feel his power) so he would do the same with GGG. I mean why not Ward call out Floyd. We have weight classes for a reason.. Clear out your fucking division first.
Junior80
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 30 2013, 03:28 PM) *
He is a welter weight!!!!!! Why the hell is a full fledged Middleweight calling out someone who is two weight classes below him. I don't care if he is willing to come down to 154, it still makes no sense. Call out Ward, Canelo, Chavez Jr, Kirkland, Kid Chocolate, but a welter weight? And what money would GGG bring to Mayweather.

If Mayweather called out Mikey Garcia, Russell Jr. or Crawford he would be crucified. People are still saying Mayweather ducked Pacquiao. This is fat ass Dan Rafael's comment about the matter: I have people saying Floyd should fight GGG at 154. Um, OK. He wouldn't fight Pacquiao but he'd fight that beast? Please, people. #never

The inference in his text is that Mayweather ducked Pac because of his "power" (Bradley didn't seem to feel his power) so he would do the same with GGG. I mean why not Ward call out Floyd. We have weight classes for a reason.. Clear out your fucking division first.

Yea I agree man, I think everyone just calls out money may because the potential for a payday... And mixing there name with mayweather is good press even if its bad press.

When GGG fights ward he will be brought back to reality, ward IMO is a superior fighter to GGG and I believe it will show .
wolterb
If you are sincerely wondering why it is because he wants to make a big payday. its simple
Junior80
QUOTE (wolterb @ Jun 30 2013, 03:38 PM) *
If you are sincerely wondering why it is because he wants to make a big payday. its simple

Seriously I would have my grandmother call out mayweather if possible smile.gif
scdrking2
QUOTE (wolterb @ Jun 30 2013, 02:38 PM) *

Exactly. Floyd's next five fights are retirement payday lottery for the boxing community.
Amandla
IF it happenned it would be great business. It stinks to high heaven like its smack talk though.

The man can't make 154 and May would be right to ask for 152 like he did with Canelo.

Like any fan I'd like to see this fight but I reckon its more likely to be Kid Chocolate then Canelo.

Lou Di bella already said noway wit Sergio, that might change but...I doubt it. I think Sergio is looking to eke out his retirement.

I'd like to see him fight:

Quillin, Canelo, Mayweather and Sergio in that order.
mgrover
I don't wanna see GGG at 154lb, thats just like tempting fate to fuck with his chin.
Jovi
Well GGG is fighting on average about 5 times per year, He aint getting Mayweather this year, next year either since Mayweather will probably fight at 147 in May then maybe give sergio a shot in september. 2015 we'll see.

If it does happen Mayweather better drain that ass to 147.
mrchitown
Surprise surprise, somebody wants a Mayweather fight.....at this point the real news is who doesn't want a fight with Mayweather. GGG will get a fight with Sergio or Ward before he gets that fight, and his meteoric rise might end in either one of them
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 1 2013, 01:43 AM) *
Surprise surprise, somebody wants a Mayweather fight.....at this point the real news is who doesn't want a fight with Mayweather. GGG will get a fight with Sergio or Ward before he gets that fight, and his meteoric rise might end in either one of them

Pretty much says it all
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 30 2013, 09:43 PM) *

The fucked up part of all this is that if May does not say anything about GGG, he is ducking him! He will be said to ducking a Middleweight. I read one article on the report is one guy said Mayweather needs to fight Ward at 160 to cement his legacy! People are insane.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 1 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Pretty much says it all

It's starting to get boring with all the people who keep calling him out, but he's the top dog so that comes with the territory
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 1 2013, 12:12 PM) *
The fucked up part of all this is that if May does not say anything about GGG, he is ducking him! He will be said to ducking a Middleweight. I read one article on the report is one guy said Mayweather needs to fight Ward at 160 to cement his legacy! People are insane.

To the casual and a few hardcore Dans he'll always be known as a ducker or cherry picker. I think at this point there's very little he could do to change that opinion of him.
Franchize
Shit like this is hurting boxing. We saw a megafight with Manny and Mayweather unfulfilled because of Bob Arum. All of the evidence was there. Yet it will stain Mayweather's legacy for life. But up and comers with no type of clout or half the resume' get to do shit like this. STOP BEING A PUSSY. You're a full fledged middleweight and you're calling out Floyd? A guy who isn't even really big for Welterweight. That's like going to your child's school and beating up a bully, then standing in the cafeteria and bragging. Before you call out a kingpin in another division, clean out your own. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we seen a GGG vs MArtinez fight? Have we seen GGG vs Chavez JR? Have we seen GGG vs Quillen? "Finish your breakfast"
daprofessor
if floyd beats canelo as convincingly as i think he will....people are going to be screaming for ggg vs mayweather.

while i don't believe either guy needs the fight, floyd beating someone like ggg would solidify him as one of the best ever.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 1 2013, 12:48 PM) *
if floyd beats canelo as convincingly as i think he will....people are going to be screaming for ggg vs mayweather.

while i don't believe either guy needs the fight, floyd beating someone like ggg would solidify him as one of the best ever.

So you want to see a full tilt middle weight fight a welter weight fighter? I guess Andre Ward would be next. I would never want to see this fight, ever. Plus GGG is with HBO so that ain't happening. And what has GGG proved? Now if he storms through Sergio and kicks the shit out of Chavez Jr. than okay. But beating Macklin gets you a Mayweather fight? I know why Saul got the fight but GGG needs to clear his division. Or at least fight someone worthy.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 1 2013, 04:56 PM) *
So you want to see a full tilt middle weight fight a welter weight fighter? I guess Andre Ward would be next. I would never want to see this fight, ever. Plus GGG is with HBO so that ain't happening. And what has GGG proved? Now if he storms through Sergio and kicks the shit out of Chavez Jr. than okay. But beating Macklin gets you a Mayweather fight? I know why Saul got the fight but GGG needs to clear his division. Or at least fight someone worthy.

make no mistake about it...if martinez or chavez step into the ring with ggg...they will suffer the same fate as macklin.

floyd is the one who claims to be the best ever. beating canelo wouldn't prove that. i'm not saying it has to be ggg...but winning a middleweight title would put him on par with henry armstrong and roberto duran in my book. moving up to 168 would be crazy but not any crazier than roy jones moving up to heavyweight from light heavyweight.
mrchitown
In the eyes of an overwhelming too many fans its always if he fights this guy it would cement his legacy. The guys legacy has been cemented for a while now. GGG good fighter and on his way to big things in boxing. But Mayweather doesn't need GGG.

GGG needs to make his own mark on boxing, I love boxers but some of them see beating Floyd as a quick come up. Ask Shane Mosley how that quick come up turned out for him after he beat Oscar. A big ass middle weight calling out a guy whose real natural weight is 140 is down right ridiculous. GGG has business at 160 and at 168. How the hell does a Ward fight need to build but he and his team thinks he can go straight to a fight with Mayweather! I see what they're doing

I wonder if Floyd ever laughs at this stuff, It's true what they say, heavy is the head who wears the crown
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 1 2013, 04:48 PM) *

LOL what?!? Who is ggg to solidify Floyd? Haha I'm sorry pro, but I'm across from you on this. Maybe at 160 but ggg said 154 and even that's a stretch.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 30 2013, 11:33 AM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-maywea...nt-fight--67178

I don't have a problem with GGG wanting Mayweather, however, he is a 160 fighter and there is plenty of fighters that he should be concentrating on. Peter Kid Chocolate Quillen, Sergio Martinez and a few others. he is saying he would come down to 154 but still. If Mayweather says no to GGG, it s a duck and he is scared. Like the late great Manny Steward would say: We have weight classes for a reason.

Any thoughts?

It's funny how with many ppl it is ok for GGG to call out Floyd but if Money fights someone who was calling him out and coming up to his weight class (JMM for example) then May is cherrypicking and only fighting small guys. The double standard is in effect, it's as you stated; GGG should be focused on cleaning out his division and then he should be looking to move up and challenge the SMW and maybe even the LHW (seeing that he is big enough to challenge them).
HyyerBlaze
I mean...Floyd has the 154lb title right? Is it retarded for a guy who can make that weight want to fight a title holder?

Maybe Floyd can do another catch weight since he all about them now lol
Dolimite
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Jul 1 2013, 05:08 PM) *
I mean...Floyd has the 154lb title right? Is it retarded for a guy who can make that weight want to fight a title holder?

Maybe Floyd can do another catch weight since he all about them now lol

^^^^^^^^^

And this is the type of shit I am talking about. I hate boxing fans sometimes.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 1 2013, 06:53 PM) *
LOL what?!? Who is ggg to solidify Floyd? Haha I'm sorry pro, but I'm across from you on this. Maybe at 160 but ggg said 154 and even that's a stretch.

it's not about ggg solidifying floyd. it's about floyd accomplishing a feat that was done by two others before him. if he wants to be considered the best of all time...he has to separate himself from the rest.

armstrong and duran have won the light weight and middle weight titles. i'm not saying floyd needs to beat golovkin...but if he could beat one of the title holders at 160....he'd be in the company of those two atg's.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 1 2013, 06:05 PM) *
In the eyes of an overwhelming too many fans its always if he fights this guy it would cement his legacy. The guys legacy has been cemented for a while now. GGG good fighter and on his way to big things in boxing. But Mayweather doesn't need GGG.

GGG needs to make his own mark on boxing, I love boxers but some of them see beating Floyd as a quick come up. Ask Shane Mosley how that quick come up turned out for him after he beat Oscar. A big ass middle weight calling out a guy whose real natural weight is 140 is down right ridiculous. GGG has business at 160 and at 168. How the hell does a Ward fight need to build but he and his team thinks he can go straight to a fight with Mayweather! I see what they're doing

I wonder if Floyd ever laughs at this stuff, It's true what they say, heavy is the head who wears the crown

i hear what you're saying...there will always be another feat. ppl will always raise the bar on floyd. but lets be honest....when was the last time floyd took a fight that he wasn't favored to win? i can't remember....and with no one on the horizon at 147 or 154...i'm really not excited about his last 5 fights. there's no one on the short list that stands out as special who can possibly test him. with the way he dispatched guerrero...he turned back the clock! i don't see anyone beating him from 140-154. why not step up to a bigger challenge? i'm not saying it needs to be his next fight....but it would be great to see him try to accomplish the impossible. i'm not saying it has to be ggg...even though i believe he's the most dangerous guy at 160...i'd like to see floyd try and win a title at 160. i don't think it's a stretch either. what floyd lacks in size...he more than makes up for in skill and speed. you're right...his legacy is cemented at this point. he is the best of this era....but he likes to say he's the best ever. i'd like to see him try and prove it....and i don't believe a strap at 160 is an unachievable goal for him.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 1 2013, 07:23 PM) *
i hear what you're saying...there will always be another feat. ppl will always raise the bar on floyd. but lets be honest....when was the last time floyd took a fight that he wasn't favored to win? i can't remember....and with no one on the horizon at 147 or 154...i'm really not excited about his last 5 fights. there's no one on the short list that stands out as special who can possibly test him. with the way he dispatched guerrero...he turned back the clock! i don't see anyone beating him from 140-154. why not step up to a bigger challenge? i'm not saying it needs to be his next fight....but it would be great to see him try to accomplish the impossible. i'm not saying it has to be ggg...even though i believe he's the most dangerous guy at 160...i'd like to see floyd try and win a title at 160. i don't think it's a stretch either. what floyd lacks in size...he more than makes up for in skill and speed. you're right...his legacy is cemented at this point. he is the best of this era....but he likes to say he's the best ever. i'd like to see him try and prove it....and i don't believe a strap at 160 is an unachievable goal for him.

GGG will get to the space where people says these things about him, the same for Ward who I believe it's already started on. They're so good and probably too good for their own good that these amazing feats are heaped on then in hopes that the boxer will leap at them. Is he the best ever? No lol. He couldn't mess with SRR, I'm sorry, ain't nobody gon get me to believe he would beat that dude.

But for me personally he's definitely in that upper echelon of ATG'S. I don't see anyone messing with him in those classes either but if he were to fight Golovkin I'd make him come down in weight and still put his MW belt on the line
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 1 2013, 04:23 PM) *

Is it fair to punish Floyd for his dominance over the years and the lack of high risk fights? he can not create a tough opponent for him. he can only fight what the crop of fighters that are out now. People will bitch and say that Manny was his true test, but real boxing fans know that May would of won that fight fairly easy. Paul Williams is another person they bring up but I believed he had a short retirement when people were calling for them to fight. Also, Paul Williams is a taller version of Brandon Rios.

So you are saying for Floyd to be an ATG he must have a belt at 160/ those other ATG body was totally different and they were not small like Floyd, but I don't want to make excuses. I just don't see the point. I mean the guy can't even make 154. I don't think it is necessary
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 1 2013, 08:14 PM) *
it's not about ggg solidifying floyd. it's about floyd accomplishing a feat that was done by two others before him. if he wants to be considered the best of all time...he has to separate himself from the rest.

armstrong and duran have won the light weight and middle weight titles. i'm not saying floyd needs to beat golovkin...but if he could beat one of the title holders at 160....he'd be in the company of those two atg's.

Yea but ggg said he would come down to 154, and I doubt Floyd will ever go to 160. Unless he finds himself a john ruiz ala Roy Jones
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 1 2013, 10:56 PM) *
GGG will get to the space where people says these things about him, the same for Ward who I believe it's already started on. They're so good and probably too good for their own good that these amazing feats are heaped on then in hopes that the boxer will leap at them. Is he the best ever? No lol. He couldn't mess with SRR, I'm sorry, ain't nobody gon get me to believe he would beat that dude.

But for me personally he's definitely in that upper echelon of ATG'S. I don't see anyone messing with him in those classes either but if he were to fight Golovkin I'd make him come down in weight and still put his MW belt on the line

if that doesn't say something about his greatness....that he has to go up a couple of weight classes to find a real challenge...i don't know what will. robinson tried at lightheavy and failed...but it didn't take away from his legacy. he was negotiating to fight archie moore before he retired. that fight was going to be huge but it never came off.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 1 2013, 11:41 PM) *
Is it fair to punish Floyd for his dominance over the years and the lack of high risk fights? he can not create a tough opponent for him. he can only fight what the crop of fighters that are out now. People will bitch and say that Manny was his true test, but real boxing fans know that May would of won that fight fairly easy. Paul Williams is another person they bring up but I believed he had a short retirement when people were calling for them to fight. Also, Paul Williams is a taller version of Brandon Rios.

So you are saying for Floyd to be an ATG he must have a belt at 160/ those other ATG body was totally different and they were not small like Floyd, but I don't want to make excuses. I just don't see the point. I mean the guy can't even make 154. I don't think it is necessary

henry armstrong was 5'5 with 67" reach

roberto duran is 5'7 with 66" reach

armstrong fought robinson who was much bigger at 5'11 with a 72" reach

duran fought leonard, hearns, hagler, barkley and joppy who were all much bigger men.

why are we babying floyd? huh.gif
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2013, 10:11 PM) *

duran fought leonard, hearns, hagler, barkley and joppy who were all much bigger men.

I don't think we're babying him, why is he being asked to do what they did....did we ask it of Kostya or Zab to go to 160?? It's ok because it's Floyd but JMM isn't asked to go to 160 and fight GGG....the double standard is on.

It is our own problem that we tend to bestow expectations that are not the norm upon someone simply because they stand out head and shoulders above those in their own perspective weight class.

Pacquiao isn't being asked to go to 160 but Floyd is, greatness is a blessing and a curse if this is the standard we have to hold Money to just to find someone who may be able to beat him.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2013, 08:48 PM) *
if that doesn't say something about his greatness....that he has to go up a couple of weight classes to find a real challenge...i don't know what will. robinson tried at lightheavy and failed...but it didn't take away from his legacy. he was negotiating to fight archie moore before he retired. that fight was going to be huge but it never came off.

His greatness has already been cemented. It's not his fault that he's so good that boxers in 3 different weigh classes can't even hang in the gym with him. You want a natural 140lber whose really never been a WW to fight at 160 because a couple of people did it before. I'm sorry but that's laughable, those men had their time and had their career and it's over.

The one thing that many ATG's have is they staked their own claim. Let that man do the same, who cares what somebody did 20-30yrs ago, it's a new day and a new time and there are new ways to validate yourself and Mayweather jr is trying to do just that. I suggest that those who heap these ridiculous demands on him just let him be
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2013, 10:11 PM) *

Grown men don't baby grown men. You name these great fighters who did this and that but they were who they were. WTH would beating GGG prove? Not nothing, just to get a belt because some before him did it. That's ridiculous. He is his own man and he needs to be allowed to stake his own claim.

I got my career in marketing started thru entertainment based stuff. I've met many athletes and celebs and along the way I realized that 95% of fans aint sh%t, even the so called hardocre fans. Like brutal said the expectations that the fans put on these people are downright outrageous. If he did fight him and win you'd be calling for him to fight Ward and probably somebody else. At some point the dumb stuff has to stop

I respect trendsetters and those who do things on their own accord and Mayweather is definitely in a class of rare air there. He's taking on his biggest challenge and still yet that's not good enough for some. We need to get on Garcia if he doesn't fight Matthyse if this is the basis in which we're going to judge things. I see why some of these athletes and celebs say f%ck the fans. The stuff just never stops. GGG has business at 160 with many fighters and he can move up yet he throws his name in the hat with every fighter and wants a Mayweather showdown. I'm sorry but I think he's corny for that. He can't even beat the #2 P$P guy in Ward. He has no biz fighting Floyd and if they fought at 154, it would be a long night for him

At some point some fans need to step back and either appreciate what they're witnessing or just stop all together. I get sick of hearing that type of rhetoric, Jordan did this but now he should do this. Lebron did this, if he wants a real challenge and be better then Jordan he needs to do this. Floyd should do this because some fighter did this, screw that. The cycle never changes but it needs to
pacco_diablo
I dont think there are many who would look at is as a duck. As most everyone has mentioned in this thread, there are 2 weight classes separating them. I could see if maybe Golovkin fought his next several fights at 154 then maybe an argument could be made. That's NOT going to happen though and would make no sense. Golovkin has yet to fight at 154. His entire career has been at 160. Can't really blame him for trying to get paid though.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 01:06 AM) *
Grown men don't baby grown men. You name these great fighters who did this and that but they were who they were. WTH would beating GGG prove? Not nothing, just to get a belt because some before him did it. That's ridiculous. He is his own man and he needs to be allowed to stake his own claim.

I got my career in marketing started thru entertainment based stuff. I've met many athletes and celebs and along the way I realized that 95% of fans aint sh%t, even the so called hardocre fans. Like brutal said the expectations that the fans put on these people are downright outrageous. If he did fight him and win you'd be calling for him to fight Ward and probably somebody else. At some point the dumb stuff has to stop

I respect trendsetters and those who do things on their own accord and Mayweather is definitely in a class of rare air there. He's taking on his biggest challenge and still yet that's not good enough for some. We need to get on Garcia if he doesn't fight Matthyse if this is the basis in which we're going to judge things. I see why some of these athletes and celebs say f%ck the fans. The stuff just never stops. GGG has business at 160 with many fighters and he can move up yet he throws his name in the hat with every fighter and wants a Mayweather showdown. I'm sorry but I think he's corny for that. He can't even beat the #2 P$P guy in Ward. He has no biz fighting Floyd and if they fought at 154, it would be a long night for him

At some point some fans need to step back and either appreciate what they're witnessing or just stop all together. I get sick of hearing that type of rhetoric, Jordan did this but now he should do this. Lebron did this, if he wants a real challenge and be better then Jordan he needs to do this. Floyd should do this because some fighter did this, screw that. The cycle never changes but it needs to

Good post.
But Floyd is never gonna get the credit he's due
checkleft
http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-eyes-m...mber-2nd--67291

Finally, a kid that wants to challenge himself! Now your working bro, your starting to get on my good side now. First macklin now Murray? Ggg is getting it rolling now. This should be a good scrap
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 3 2013, 12:06 AM) *
I don't think we're babying him, why is he being asked to do what they did....did we ask it of Kostya or Zab to go to 160?? It's ok because it's Floyd but JMM isn't asked to go to 160 and fight GGG....the double standard is on.

It is our own problem that we tend to bestow expectations that are not the norm upon someone simply because they stand out head and shoulders above those in their own perspective weight class.

Pacquiao isn't being asked to go to 160 but Floyd is, greatness is a blessing and a curse if this is the standard we have to hold Money to just to find someone who may be able to beat him.

kt couldn't get past cool vince and zab couldn't get past kt. why would they even be asked? neither guy is anywhere near floyds level.

pac's shit was smoke and mirrors. he couldn't get past jmm and didn't want to face floyd. he would have got gatti'd by floyd anyway.

floyd clearly stands alone. he's raised the bar. he can be content to stay in his comfort zone of fighting guys knowledgeable fans know can't beat him...or he can challenge himself and dare to be great.

who thought clay would beat liston?

who thought ali would beat foreman?

who thought duran would beat leonard?

who thought leonard would beat hagler?

all of these guys are all time greats and they accomplished the impossible to achieve that status. floyd hasn't accomplished the impossible in his career. i see a perfect record...and what he did at 135 and below is amazing. what's he's done above is good. i'd like to see him outdo himself. i don't think that's asking too much.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 12:56 AM) *
His greatness has already been cemented. It's not his fault that he's so good that boxers in 3 different weigh classes can't even hang in the gym with him. You want a natural 140lber whose really never been a WW to fight at 160 because a couple of people did it before. I'm sorry but that's laughable, those men had their time and had their career and it's over.

The one thing that many ATG's have is they staked their own claim. Let that man do the same, who cares what somebody did 20-30yrs ago, it's a new day and a new time and there are new ways to validate yourself and Mayweather jr is trying to do just that. I suggest that those who heap these ridiculous demands on him just let him be

as a fan of the sport of boxing....i know that records and achievements were made to be broken. i can go down a very long list of achievements/accomplishments by great fighters and explain in detail why they were so great. i guess if i were just a floyd fan...i'd be content with what he has done. unfortunately, when i look at his career and how it stacks against those that have come before him....i know he's very good. i just can't call him great. make no mistake about it...i believe his skills are undeniable and probably the best we've ever seen in the ring. unfortunately, i've never truly seen him test those skills so i can't say that without reservations.

i can say that floyd has learned from those that came before him. he's leveraged his skills to make as much as he can and that's great for him. he is the best business man the sport has ever seen thanks to al haymon. he's definitely the best of this era...but his accomplishments don't stack up to past greats imo.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 01:06 AM) *

fuck record books. we should just throw them out and judge everyone on how they make us feel. while we're at it...let's get rid of report cards and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies. fuck standards. who needs to measure anything??? we should just take and give as much as we want or feel like. here's $50 bucks....put some gas in my tank. oh...that's not gas? it's water...ok.

laugh.gif

listen...jordan is great! period. lebron hasn't proven to be great...but he seems to be on his way. if he quit tomorrow...no one would say he was the greatest ever. hell...kobe, as much as i don't like the dude....has waaaaay more accomplishments than lebron but still falls short to jordan imo and the opinion of others. they are all great basketball players....but when u put them in perspective one is greater than the other. no matter how much that bothers anyone...it's the truth.

as for garcia....i agree, he needs to fight matthysse to prove he's the man at 140. i'm not saying floyd needs to fight ggg...but duran fought hagler. do i need to post the dimensions of both in comparison to floyd and ggg? is floyd less skilled than duran? is hagler less skilled than ggg? duran beat barkley at 160 when he was 38 yrs old!!! he started his career at 118. stop making excuses for the dude. you starting to sound like a fan boy. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 3 2013, 12:18 PM) *
I dont think there are many who would look at is as a duck. As most everyone has mentioned in this thread, there are 2 weight classes separating them. I could see if maybe Golovkin fought his next several fights at 154 then maybe an argument could be made. That's NOT going to happen though and would make no sense. Golovkin has yet to fight at 154. His entire career has been at 160. Can't really blame him for trying to get paid though.

this will be floyds 3rd fight at jr middleweight.

BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 3 2013, 02:45 PM) *
kt couldn't get past cool vince and zab couldn't get past kt. why would they even be asked? neither guy is anywhere near floyds level.

pac's shit was smoke and mirrors. he couldn't get past jmm and didn't want to face floyd. he would have got gatti'd by floyd anyway.

floyd clearly stands alone. he's raised the bar. he can be content to stay in his comfort zone of fighting guys knowledgeable fans know can't beat him...or he can challenge himself and dare to be great.

who thought clay would beat liston?

who thought ali would beat foreman?

who thought duran would beat leonard?

who thought leonard would beat hagler?

all of these guys are all time greats and they accomplished the impossible to achieve that status. floyd hasn't accomplished the impossible in his career. i see a perfect record...and what he did at 135 and below is amazing. what's he's done above is good. i'd like to see him outdo himself. i don't think that's asking too much.

I say to your entire post: "So What"!!

I think he's good enough to continue to rise as do you but does that mean he should? Does that mean we're babying him when we're clearly not asking others regardless of how great or how unimportant they have been in the sport? All of these are rhetorical questions but I'm sure you can provide an answer, it's just that I happen to think what he's done moving up as far as he did and beating far bigger fighter most of his career is enough.

If it is enough for Pac, JMM and others then it should be more than enough for Mayweather, I think we're asking too much of him/please consider how small he is, how old he is and how long he's been in this sport.

Who else has been asked at his age coming from his low of a weight to move up and take on much larger boxers??
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 3 2013, 04:39 PM) *
I say to your entire post: "So What"!!

I think he's good enough to continue to rise as do you but does that mean he should? Does that mean we're babying him when we're clearly not asking others regardless of how great or how unimportant they have been in the sport? All of these are rhetorical questions but I'm sure you can provide an answer, it's just that I happen to think what he's done moving up as far as he did and beating far bigger fighter most of his career is enough.

If it is enough for Pac, JMM and others then it should be more than enough for Mayweather, I think we're asking too much of him/please consider how small he is, how old he is and how long he's been in this sport.

Who else has been asked at his age coming from his low of a weight to move up and take on much larger boxers??

i hear what you are saying...and i'll agree to disagree. i also said this in a response to chitown's post...but it fits yours as well...

i'm not saying floyd needs to fight ggg...but duran fought hagler. do i need to post the dimensions of both in comparison to floyd and ggg? is floyd less skilled than duran? is hagler less skilled than ggg? duran beat barkley at 160 when he was 38 yrs old!!! he started his career at 118. stop making excuses for the dude. you starting to sound like a fan boy.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 3 2013, 03:48 PM) *
i hear what you are saying...and i'll agree to disagree. i also said this in a response to chitown's post...but it fits yours as well...

Let's go backwards, first I'am a fan but never nobody's boy lol, second why are we specifically singling Floyd out and not others, fair is fair. If we sound like fanboys then you sound like a Hater (one who holds him to a different standard and not everyone else). Third, Duran beat Barkley which while it was good win we shouldn't go overboard simply because Barkley beat a smaller Hearns who blasted out Duran.

Last but not least, we will agree to disagree because until we hold everyone to the same standard and not simply place the onus upon a fighter to take on bigger and bigger challenges simply because he is technically superior (we didn't do it to Ricardo Lopez who has more wins than Mayweather) is totally unfair.

daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 3 2013, 05:00 PM) *
Let's go backwards, first I'am a fan but never nobody's boy lol, second why are we specifically singling Floyd out and not others, fair is fair. If we sound like fanboys then you sound like a Hater (one who holds him to a different standard and not everyone else). Third, Duran beat Barkley which while it was good win we shouldn't go overboard simply because Barkley beat a smaller Hearns who blasted out Duran.

Last but not least, we will agree to disagree because until we hold everyone to the same standard and not simply place the onus upon a fighter to take on bigger and bigger challenges simply because he is technically superior (we didn't do it to Ricardo Lopez who has more wins than Mayweather) is totally unfair.

lopez reign at his weight was unparalleled. i don't rate him higher than floyd.

i compare floyd to armstrong and duran because they were all the same size and competed in the same weight divisions.

duran got through his first 72 fights with 1 loss that he avenged by ko...and that was to esteban dejesus. he stepped up two weightclasses to fight leonard who was the man at 147. he won jr middleweight and middleweight titles back in a time where there weren't any silver belts or interim champions....or all this other bullshit. duran imo is the best fighter of my lifetime. i have him rated #3 after robinson and armstrong. floyd is the one that claims to be the greatest of all time. so if he's going to make a statement like that, as a student of the game for several years...i have to call it like i see it. he doesn't measure up.

is it hate if it's true?
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 3 2013, 01:52 PM) *
Good post.
But Floyd is never gonna get the credit he's due

He won't. And that's sad because he truly is one of the best skilled fighters to ever step in the ring
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 3 2013, 04:31 PM) *
lopez reign at his weight was unparalleled. i don't rate him higher than floyd.

i compare floyd to armstrong and duran because they were all the same size and competed in the same weight divisions.

duran got through his first 72 fights with 1 loss that he avenged by ko...and that was to esteban dejesus. he stepped up two weightclasses to fight leonard who was the man at 147. he won jr middleweight and middleweight titles back in a time where there weren't any silver belts or interim champions....or all this other bullshit. duran imo is the best fighter of my lifetime. i have him rated #3 after robinson and armstrong. floyd is the one that claims to be the greatest of all time. so if he's going to make a statement like that, as a student of the game for several years...i have to call it like i see it. he doesn't measure up.

is it hate if it's true?

I never knew you as a Hater so I won't define your post as such but I do say your's is a matter of opinion as is all of us-still it doesn't justify the singling out of one man no matter what he said. I think Floyd has stopped talking about he's the greatest a long time ago, to hold a young person to their word at that time means very little-kids say stupid crap everyday<<<Floyd was no different at that time.

Not making excuses for him, I just think we need to hold all fighters to one standard regardless of how great they are, how great they claim to be or whatever.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 3 2013, 02:55 PM) *
as a fan of the sport of boxing....i know that records and achievements were made to be broken. i can go down a very long list of achievements/accomplishments by great fighters and explain in detail why they were so great. i guess if i were just a floyd fan...i'd be content with what he has done. unfortunately, when i look at his career and how it stacks against those that have come before him....i know he's very good. i just can't call him great. make no mistake about it...i believe his skills are undeniable and probably the best we've ever seen in the ring. unfortunately, i've never truly seen him test those skills so i can't say that without reservations.

i can say that floyd has learned from those that came before him. he's leveraged his skills to make as much as he can and that's great for him. he is the best business man the sport has ever seen thanks to al haymon. he's definitely the best of this era...but his accomplishments don't stack up to past greats imo.

It's all subjective but I don't stack him against anyone and vice versa. There's no one like him in the sport and probably never will be again. Not to toot my own horn but I explained it perfectly in my previous post. Outrageous requests are placed in him and other greats and it's really stupid. Because if they did it you would have some other bs for them to do. Your not the only fan though I'm the only one with sense. If you don't think he's great then that's your opinion. I don't judge by your standards. I think he's great and thank God, 99% of the time IDGAF about others opinions. The past is the past but in the future, he is the prototype fighters will use and remember
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 03:58 PM) *
It's all subjective but I don't stack him against anyone and vice versa. There's no one like him in the sport and probably never will be again. Not to toot my own horn but I explained it perfectly in my previous post. Outrageous requests are placed in him and other greats and it's really stupid. Because if they did it you would have some other bs for them to do. Your not the only fan though I'm the only one with sense. If you don't think he's great then that's your opinion. I don't judge by your standards. I think he's great and thank God, 99% of the time IDGAF about others opinions. The past is the past but in the future, he is the prototype fighters will use and remember

+1

I will go back to what Emmanuel Steward has said time and time again: We have weight classes for a reason.

To me that solves a lot of this nonsense.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 3 2013, 03:04 PM) *
fuck record books. we should just throw them out and judge everyone on how they make us feel. while we're at it...let's get rid of report cards and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies. fuck standards. who needs to measure anything??? we should just take and give as much as we want or feel like. here's $50 bucks....put some gas in my tank. oh...that's not gas? it's water...ok.

laugh.gif

listen...jordan is great! period. lebron hasn't proven to be great...but he seems to be on his way. if he quit tomorrow...no one would say he was the greatest ever. hell...kobe, as much as i don't like the dude....has waaaaay more accomplishments than lebron but still falls short to jordan imo and the opinion of others. they are all great basketball players....but when u put them in perspective one is greater than the other. no matter how much that bothers anyone...it's the truth.

as for garcia....i agree, he needs to fight matthysse to prove he's the man at 140. i'm not saying floyd needs to fight ggg...but duran fought hagler. do i need to post the dimensions of both in comparison to floyd and ggg? is floyd less skilled than duran? is hagler less skilled than ggg? duran beat barkley at 160 when he was 38 yrs old!!! he started his career at 118. stop making excuses for the dude. you starting to sound like a fan boy. laugh.gif

You set yourself up nicely lol. Report cards, really, is that what we're doing here hahaha. Might as well do away with them because the leaders and then people with money didn't go to college and some of them barely got past high school. To me, the great ones stand alone. Measuring their achievements side by side is nothing more then a passing contest most of the time and I ain't into that.

Jordan is GOAT, there's no disputing that. I'm starting to sound truthful and the truth hurts some I guess. I don't care what measuring meter you or anyone else uses. You heap ridiculous demands on athletes and celebs and after they do that you want them to do something else. When does the stuff stop? Like I said I see why they say fuck the fans sometimes, they have no appreciation. I've seen both sides of the coin and it literally disgusts me how people like what your saying say this crap.

I could never be a fan boy because I'm too intelligent and knowledgeable for that. But what I am and always will be is honest because truth is truth and in this scenario your truth isn't my truth and vice versa. Life isn't a movie where people can just heap demands on a personal and expect them to do them. It is not his fault that he'd head and shoulders above the rest, but you do what these so called fan boys do and spew the same rhetoric. Those guys had their time. And now it's his. You may not want to believe he's great but the proof is there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.