Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO Boxing Production Values in the Crapper!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 11 2013, 10:44 AM) *
The funny thing about Del is that in very show he opens up he says "I'm Del, you know, Ice Cube's cousin." That shit cracks me up every time!!

Snoop's first album was classic,the Chronic was a classic. The Pharcyde, if they could get along would be beyond legends throughout the US. NWA never was a fan of. I haven't gotten into Kendrick Lamar as of yet. Cypress Hill lost me with that Rock rap shit. Cali rappers aren't crap just the ones who get played are. The Freestyle Fellowship crew is off the chain. Dilated Peoples is dope! They get little shine, but they are dope. Matter of fact, one of the members slaughtered Eminem in a freestyle contest. It was fuckin amazing!

freestyle fellowship was my shit!!!! boundaries!!! dilated ppls are dope...i agree. i need to see video of eminem getting slaughtered. u have a link?
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 11 2013, 09:37 AM) *
Kendrick is the only one that's surprisingly good. His last album was one of the better ones I heard in a while

The De la hoya mayweather 24/7 is still my favorite. The production was great

That one and the Mayweather - Hatton one are my favorites
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 11 2013, 02:55 PM) *
yessir! that shit exists everywhere....but back home, even my own family would pull me down. shit is sad.

One of my good friends just moved to Vegas and took his wife and kids because his family was always leaching off them and dragging them down. It is everywhere but here its times 10
bnoles4life
[video][/video]
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 10 2013, 10:33 PM) *
i think most cali rappers are whack....except for cats like the pharcyde, del, cypress, psycho realm, kendrick is tight...

snoop was good back in the day...with daz n corrupt....nwa way back when....dr dre in the beginning...cube's first couple of solo joints were tight...now, pure whackness.

Man, Souls of Mischief & All of Hieroglyphics, Saafir, Rass Kass, B.U.M.S., Devin the Dude.....I still pump their shit to this day. I'm still a fan of that Bay Area hip hop. I was in Cali for 3 mths (back in the day) when that KMEL stuff popped something serious.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 11 2013, 12:58 PM) *
freestyle fellowship was my shit!!!! boundaries!!! dilated ppls are dope...i agree. i need to see video of eminem getting slaughtered. u have a link?

I don't. It was during the Hip Hop Olympics and dude toasted him. I was there because it is held in LA! Eminem's face after dude got done with him was classic. The crowd was fucking going nuts! I miss that. Evidence is the dude's name. He roasted the fuck out of Em.

Souls of Mischief was great. But cats love Sugar Free. I have no damn idea why but they do.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 11 2013, 09:21 PM) *
I don't. It was during the Hip Hop Olympics and dude toasted him. I was there because it is held in LA! Eminem's face after dude got done with him was classic. The crowd was fucking going nuts! I miss that. Evidence is the dude's name. He roasted the fuck out of Em.

Souls of Mischief was great. But cats love Sugar Free. I have no damn idea why but they do.

You're talk'n 'bout dude from Dilated Peoples?
Dolimite
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jul 11 2013, 05:46 PM) *
You're talk'n 'bout dude from Dilated Peoples?

Yup.
Jack 1000
Does anyone know when Jim Lamply's contract expires at HBO?

Jack
Dolimite
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 12 2013, 10:33 AM) *

Jack

Never. LOL. They will resign him, who will replace him?
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jul 11 2013, 08:29 PM) *
[video][/video]

Man, Souls of Mischief & All of Hieroglyphics, Saafir, Rass Kass, B.U.M.S., Devin the Dude.....I still pump their shit to this day. I'm still a fan of that Bay Area hip hop. I was in Cali for 3 mths (back in the day) when that KMEL stuff popped something serious.

you got good taste in music.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 11 2013, 09:21 PM) *

i never saw or heard sugar free...but i've had a few cats tell me i look like him. laugh.gif he must be a handsome dude.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 12 2013, 01:33 PM) *

Jack

not soon enough.
Cshel86
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 10 2013, 04:46 PM) *
Actually it's quite simple. HBO refuses to show the ring card girls and Showtime gives us the ass shots that we're looking for.

Basically!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jul 11 2013, 08:29 PM) *
[video][/video]

Good list...as long as you're still not bumping them on the 8 track, then you're in good graces.
daprofessor
seriously....wtf is up with hbo???

alvarado beats rios....rios gets shot at pacquiao....hbo is airing it.

rigondeaux beats donaire....they don't want him on their network....they're bringing back donaire against darchinyan. really!?

they're trying to for alvarado to fight prodnikov....he's standing his ground and asking for what he's worth. good job.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 12 2013, 11:23 AM) *
i never saw or heard sugar free...but i've had a few cats tell me i look like him. laugh.gif he must be a handsome dude.

he is from Pomona and he is an ex pimp turned rapper turned back pimp!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 12 2013, 07:42 PM) *
he is from Pomona and he is an ex pimp turned rapper turned back pimp!

laugh.gif i think it's time to cut my locks. unsure.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 12 2013, 05:09 PM) *
laugh.gif i think it's time to cut my locks. unsure.gif

He doesn't have locks. He has "waves deeper than Redondo Beach" (that is a lyric from one of his songs). This dude thinks he is so fuckin pretty! He has long hair he keeps in a pony tail sometime it is in a perm. Imagine Chino XL but very light skin, short, kinda fat, and a pony tail.

google him. Suga Free. I actually thinks he is pretty damn gay.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 12 2013, 05:29 PM) *

rigondeaux beats donaire....they don't want him on their network....they're bringing back donaire against darchinyan. really!?

they're trying to for alvarado to fight prodnikov....he's standing his ground and asking for what he's worth. good job.

+1

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 13 2013, 09:48 AM) *
He doesn't have locks. He has "waves deeper than Redondo Beach" (that is a lyric from one of his songs). This dude thinks he is so fuckin pretty! He has long hair he keeps in a pony tail sometime it is in a perm. Imagine Chino XL but very light skin, short, kinda fat, and a pony tail.

google him. Suga Free. I actually thinks he is pretty damn gay.

i googled him. imma find them cats that told me i look like him and punch them in the face. laugh.gif
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 14 2013, 08:18 PM) *
i googled him. imma find them cats that told me i look like him and punch them in the face. laugh.gif

Exactly!!!!! They were calling you a fat ugly gay pimp!
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 12 2013, 06:29 PM) *

HBO's bias and disgusting emotions, is killing them slowly. It's really getting sad at this point. I can somewhat understand the Rios/Pac situation...that was done for money and PPV sales. Now, the Rigondeaux situation is vomitrocious, and every inch of the word.

I mean seriously, Donaire isn't as great as they projected, he got his ass kicked, get over it. But noooo...they want to play the angry ex-wife card, and stick it to the public. It's not our fault that Donaire was clueless, and got handled. I wouldn't mind seeing Donaire/Darchiyan again (I may be in the minority), compared to the other Donaire fights that they shove down our throats.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 15 2013, 01:38 PM) *
HBO's bias and disgusting emotions, is killing them slowly. It's really getting sad at this point. I can somewhat understand the Rios/Pac situation...that was done for money and PPV sales. Now, the Rigondeaux situation is vomitrocious, and every inch of the word.

I mean seriously, Donaire isn't as great as they projected, he got his ass kicked, get over it. But noooo...they want to play the angry ex-wife card, and stick it to the public. It's not our fault that Donaire was clueless, and got handled. I wouldn't mind seeing Donaire/Darchiyan again (I may be in the minority), compared to the other Donaire fights that they shove down our throats.

i'd much rather see ridongdeaux/darchinyan. fuck donaire. let him get to the back of the line where he belongs. i think donaire is as good as they made him out to be....rigondeaux is just that much better.

he's a respectful dude. they were so eager to push broner....now they got a bonafied star in rigondeaux with the accomplishments and ability to back it all up and they're shitting on him? really???? clueless muthafuckas.
Jack 1000
I think much of the problem is HBO struggling to grab the younger demographic,

The MMA audiences, the, as some critics have called it, the Skateboarding crew, who will only watch boxing if every fight is a Rocky Movie and/or the star is a slugger, or a likable pretty boy. But the slugger is preferred by the younger demographic. Slick elusive boxers without personality fail to put asses in the seats. The thing is though when Mayweather was at HBO he put assess in the seats. Now he will be doing that at Showtime. But is he doing that because of his excellent boxing skills, or the general public hatred persona, where people are buying just waiting to see him lose?

Mayweather had a few PPV clunkers, but always literally broke records when a marquee star or pretty boy was in the other corner. Floyd has said that over at HBO, Pacquiao was a manufactured product. Probably the most pom-pom shaking has been done for sluggers or likable pretty boys. Gatti-Ward, Delahoya, and Pacquiao. Jones was dominant, but didn't have the quality of opposition to test what he might have been with stronger challenges. The Klitschko's dominant but in HBO's eyes boring, spare the classic war of Lewis-V. Klitschko.

I think that HBO's search for a star builder who's a bad-ass probably goes back to Tyson on the network. They want the next Tyson, put so much time and money into the ears of stars like Gatti-Ward, Delahoya, Pacquiao, because they fit the pretty boy and/or brawler requirement, that skilled boxers who weren't likable or brawlers (or both) were looked on as lesser by HBO's commentary. Mayweather and Hopkins comes to mind.

It will be very hard to revitalize HBO's sinking ship, because the younger production team, nor the current demographic does not respect elusive boxing. They don't understand boxing. And if you don't understand something, you can't successfully produce it. Boxing is about creating the best, most competitive fights, working to unify titles to find the best in each weight class. It's not about going Ga-Ga for some Olympian just because he's an Olympian and won the gold against some bum HBO. Put a guy like that on HBO within six months of a title shot when he is fighting a #1 contender were either has a chance at losing. Spare us from the bum of the month road show for your manufactured "stars." What these young producers don't get is that a fighter is NOT the second coming just because he's the house guy on your network and Jim Lamply thinks so with the pom-pom shaking. HBO should be promoting two-sided fights, not protecting so-called stars against sub-par opposition.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 15 2013, 06:35 PM) *
I think much of the problem is HBO struggling to grab the younger demographic,

The MMA audiences, the, as some critics have called it, the Skateboarding crew, who will only watch boxing if every fight is a Rocky Movie and/or the star is a slugger, or a likable pretty boy. But the slugger is preferred by the younger demographic. Slick elusive boxers without personality fail to put asses in the seats. The thing is though when Mayweather was at HBO he put assess in the seats. Now he will be doing that at Showtime. But is he doing that because of his excellent boxing skills, or the general public hatred persona, where people are buying just waiting to see him lose?

Mayweather had a few PPV clunkers, but always literally broke records when a marquee star or pretty boy was in the other corner. Floyd has said that over at HBO, Pacquiao was a manufactured product. Probably the most pom-pom shaking has been done for sluggers or likable pretty boys. Gatti-Ward, Delahoya, and Pacquiao. Jones was dominant, but didn't have the quality of opposition to test what he might have been with stronger challenges. The Klitschko's dominant but in HBO's eyes boring, spare the classic war of Lewis-V. Klitschko.

I think that HBO's search for a star builder who's a bad-ass probably goes back to Tyson on the network. They want the next Tyson, put so much time and money into the ears of stars like Gatti-Ward, Delahoya, Pacquiao, because they fit the pretty boy and/or brawler requirement, that skilled boxers who weren't likable or brawlers (or both) were looked on as lesser by HBO's commentary. Mayweather and Hopkins comes to mind.

It will be very hard to revitalize HBO's sinking ship, because the younger production team, nor the current demographic does not respect elusive boxing. They don't understand boxing. And if you don't understand something, you can't successfully produce it. Boxing is about creating the best, most competitive fights, working to unify titles to find the best in each weight class. It's not about going Ga-Ga for some Olympian just because he's an Olympian and won the gold against some bum HBO. Put a guy like that on HBO within six months of a title shot when he is fighting a #1 contender were either has a chance at losing. Spare us from the bum of the month road show for your manufactured "stars." What these young producers don't get is that a fighter is NOT the second coming just because he's the house guy on your network and Jim Lamply thinks so with the pom-pom shaking. HBO should be promoting two-sided fights, not protecting so-called stars against sub-par opposition.

Jack

good post over all.

for starters...i disagree and get tired of ppl even bringing mma into the discussion. it has zero bearing on boxing. different sport...different demographic. stop repeating dana whites lies.

as for hbo dumbing it down for the fans...i don't think that's necessary. the bottom line is that styles make fights. it's not the fighters the network should be pushing.....it's the right matches. hbo needs to hire a real match maker. the stars will be born from those matches. stop trying to force the issue with a chosen boxer and let them develop on or off air. boxing when it's done right, doesn't need the fluff. there is no one at hbo that has a clue. them listening to writers, who follow boxing but really have zero clue on how to groom a fighter or match make a fighter to the top, is going to be fruitless. tom hauser and dan rafael are nothing more than shills. they don't know shit about the sport. lampley is a cheer leader and has zero understanding. get rid of him...put real boxing people in there and watch things turn around.

the same formula arum used for pac can be used for rigondeaux. match him against aggressive fighters who like to trade....sit back and enjoy the show. the guy can box beautifully....but he can also crack!!! there are plenty of matches that can be made that will produce fireworks.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 16 2013, 02:14 PM) *
good post over all.

for starters...i disagree and get tired of ppl even bringing mma into the discussion. it has zero bearing on boxing. different sport...different demographic. stop repeating dana whites lies.

as for hbo dumbing it down for the fans...i don't think that's necessary. the bottom line is that styles make fights. it's not the fighters the network should be pushing.....it's the right matches. hbo needs to hire a real match maker. the stars will be born from those matches. stop trying to force the issue with a chosen boxer and let them develop on or off air. boxing when it's done right, doesn't need the fluff. there is no one at hbo that has a clue. them listening to writers, who follow boxing but really have zero clue on how to groom a fighter or match make a fighter to the top, is going to be fruitless. tom hauser and dan rafael are nothing more than shills. they don't know shit about the sport. lampley is a cheer leader and has zero understanding. get rid of him...put real boxing people in there and watch things turn around.

the same formula arum used for pac can be used for rigondeaux. match him against aggressive fighters who like to trade....sit back and enjoy the show. the guy can box beautifully....but he can also crack!!! there are plenty of matches that can be made that will produce fireworks.

Hauser and Rafael? What do they do over at HBO
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 16 2013, 09:36 PM) *
Hauser and Rafael? What do they do over at HBO

i recall hearing that they were offering rafael the position of match maker and hauser is some kind of advisor position or some bullshit.

it's funny that just a few years ago hauser wrote some bullshit articles for maxboxing basically shitting on al haymon and the brass at hbo for the supposed 'favorable treatment' haymon was getting. hauser went on to say that kery davis was his boy and allowed them to bypass traditional promoting to bring haymons fighters into the limelight. it spurred many articles and more bullshit from so called writers at bullshit sites that are closely affilliated and often parott the things arum, merchant, rafael and hauser say.

some of the bullshit they were bringing up was how much berto was being paid to fight on hbo. they all suggested that he was being over paid since he wasn't a 'draw' in the traditional sense and he was being favorably matched on hbo. a few things to consider on this argument....who gives a fuck if he wasn't brought up in the traditional manner? for all the berto fights i've witnessed on hbo...i can't say that he was ever really in a stinker. most of his fights were very competitive and he showed he belonged on tv. as for how much he made....hbo was giving him his fair share. there was no greedy bob arum to take the lions share. imo....the only person who should have a problem with this would be bob arum because it exposes how the blood sucker does business. but instead....guys like hauser, the hauser wannabes, rafael and a few bullshit sites that shill for top rank took up arums cause and shit on haymon and his fighters every chance they got. when greenburg turned down pac/mosley (which turned out to be the right decision because that fight sucked ass) they shit all over him for arum and thus began the move to get rid of him and davis. a short time after all of this...hauser ends up working for top rank. coincidence? i think not.

let's be honest about it....hbo has always shown bias and favoritism for top rank. i can think all the way back to delahoya/trinidad in '98. trinidad had been the longest reigning welterweight champion at the time they fought. hbo recognized delahoya who was with top rank at the time and they shit on trinidad for the whole fight. this was when i really took notice of hbo's bullshit. anything dlh did was met with lampley and merchants cheerleading and pom pom shaking and when trinidad did anything there was complete silence. hbo is really responsible for complicating the whole alphabet soup thing. the wbo was not looked upon as a legit title back then but when oscar won that belt...all of a sudden it became legit? oscar was their guy...they pushed him...so the belt became relevant.

if you look at them over the last 10yrs....hbo and arum have a history of punishing or shitting on any fighter who upsets their plans. when a guy like merchant, who really doesn't know shit about boxing, shits on a fighter...it's pretty much a death sentence at hbo. he's done it to many slick boxers who don't fit the bill of what he considers boxing. he's shit on guys like zahir raheem, joan guzman, ivan calderon and now more recently guillermo rigondeaux. if i'm to follow a guy like merchant who is supposed to be an "expert" on the sport...i should remove guys like robinson, pep, tunney, benny leonard, ray leonard, camacho, whitaker from the history books because in his opinion...that's boring. fuck merchant. fuck lampley. fuck hauser. fuck rafael. fuck hbo....until they pull their heads out of their asses. they were supposed to be the leading network for boxing and they are killing the sport with their bullshit listening to all the wrong people. they need to get real boxing people in there because none of those guys are real boxing people.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 17 2013, 02:37 PM) *
i recall hearing that they were offering rafael the position of match maker and hauser is some kind of advisor position or some bullshit.

it's funny that just a few years ago hauser wrote some bullshit articles for maxboxing basically shitting on al haymon and the brass at hbo for the supposed 'favorable treatment' haymon was getting. hauser went on to say that kery davis was his boy and allowed them to bypass traditional promoting to bring haymons fighters into the limelight. it spurred many articles and more bullshit from so called writers at bullshit sites that are closely affilliated and often parott the things arum, merchant, rafael and hauser say.

some of the bullshit they were bringing up was how much berto was being paid to fight on hbo. they all suggested that he was being over paid since he wasn't a 'draw' in the traditional sense and he was being favorably matched on hbo. a few things to consider on this argument....who gives a fuck if he wasn't brought up in the traditional manner? for all the berto fights i've witnessed on hbo...i can't say that he was ever really in a stinker. most of his fights were very competitive and he showed he belonged on tv. as for how much he made....hbo was giving him his fair share. there was no greedy bob arum to take the lions share. imo....the only person who should have a problem with this would be bob arum because it exposes how the blood sucker does business. but instead....guys like hauser, the hauser wannabes, rafael and a few bullshit sites that shill for top rank took up arums cause and shit on haymon and his fighters every chance they got. when greenburg turned down pac/mosley (which turned out to be the right decision because that fight sucked ass) they shit all over him for arum and thus began the move to get rid of him and davis. a short time after all of this...hauser ends up working for top rank. coincidence? i think not.

let's be honest about it....hbo has always shown bias and favoritism for top rank. i can think all the way back to delahoya/trinidad in '98. trinidad had been the longest reigning welterweight champion at the time they fought. hbo recognized delahoya who was with top rank at the time and they shit on trinidad for the whole fight. this was when i really took notice of hbo's bullshit. anything dlh did was met with lampley and merchants cheerleading and pom pom shaking and when trinidad did anything there was complete silence. hbo is really responsible for complicating the whole alphabet soup thing. the wbo was not looked upon as a legit title back then but when oscar won that belt...all of a sudden it became legit? oscar was their guy...they pushed him...so the belt became relevant.

if you look at them over the last 10yrs....hbo and arum have a history of punishing or shitting on any fighter who upsets their plans. when a guy like merchant, who really doesn't know shit about boxing, shits on a fighter...it's pretty much a death sentence at hbo. he's done it to many slick boxers who don't fit the bill of what he considers boxing. he's shit on guys like zahir raheem, joan guzman, ivan calderon and now more recently guillermo rigondeaux. if i'm to follow a guy like merchant who is supposed to be an "expert" on the sport...i should remove guys like robinson, pep, tunney, benny leonard, ray leonard, camacho, whitaker from the history books because in his opinion...that's boring. fuck merchant. fuck lampley. fuck hauser. fuck rafael. fuck hbo....until they pull their heads out of their asses. they were supposed to be the leading network for boxing and they are killing the sport with their bullshit listening to all the wrong people. they need to get real boxing people in there because none of those guys are real boxing people.

Great post!

How would you all describe Roy Jone's treatment in his prime at HBO? He was not really the slugger that Merchant and Lamps wanted for the boxing persona? But HBO treated Roy well, despite his great skills, he did fight a lot of no-hopers and guys toward the end of their careers. Yet he would be considered more boxer than slugger. I liked his commentary though! What made Lamply and Merchant often bring out the pom-poms for Jones? Was it often his dominance over less than stellar opponents? Roy wasn't Lamply's "Goo Goo" toy like Delahoya was! I agree the way Lamply sucked up to Delahoa was sicking. I give Merchant credit for his famous "Delahoya's enterence music sucks." which showed that when we wanted to, he didn't have to be a "Yes Man" like Lamply all the time. Remember that Merchant's comment about Oscar's music got him suspended for a telecast?

Jack
mrchitown
I don't understand how Rafael is a match maker when he ain't gotten into a fight in his life, at least not in my view. I don't see where's the wealth of knowledge that he's bringing to the table. He's a nut hugger, plain and simple

Hauser still writes those types of articles, the recent shtick he's been railing on is Mayweather and USADA and their relationship with GB. If you listen to him, they're all in cahoots to make it seem like they're cleaning up the sport. He even claims to have proof that Mayweather failed a USADA administered test and they swept it under the rug. I used to respect him but he's become quite embarrassing

I agree also with TR getting special treatment over at HBO, I think that had a little something to do with the impact king had though. Tyson was the man and HBO needed something to counter attack with and they rode Arum's nuts and haven't stopped since. They used Oscar as the tool to propel them and the second he went off on his own they sneak dissed him. Just like when Floyd beat Gatti, I noticed a shift in the way they spoke about him. The thing that boxers need to know is that if you fight on HBO and your not the in house fighter. And you win. You will be degraded and put on the shelf like some kind of toy. They've done it in the part and there doing it now with Rigondeaux. It's like fight on our network at your own risk
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 2 2013, 06:46 PM) *
My biggest issue is with Kellerman because I was really a fan of the guy before he joined HBO, now he's been non this kick for quite a while where he ls trying to be Merchant-esque everytime he speaks. When he first got there he was himself and I thought he added substance to the team but soon as those rumblings that HBO wanted merchant out and him in he's totally turned into a carbon copy of the guy

Where did you hear that the poster child for diabetes was a consultant for them? That's is the literal definition of scrapping the bottom of the barrel

Greenburg didn't love the sport the way Dibella did but he sure as he'll knew how to create compelling content and that's what got HBO through. It's no secret that some fighters really liked dealing with him and took their complaints to him. If he wasn't good then Hershman would've had Showtime in a better position like how Espinosa has them now. On Eni heard Greenburg was doing some work with Showtime I knew it was a wrap for HBO. Hershman is Greenburg's toy, he owns the guy and ain't nothing he can do about it. HBO really suffers a big blow to their credibility when Steward passed, he was insightful and brought a needed balance. Now that he's gone its just open cheerleader season over there. Want to turn it around? Get rid of Hershman

Kellerman is a far better Boxing Historian than he is a Commentator. To me they picked him because they knew he could talk about all the history of this boxer and that boxer but doing flat out commentary is just not his thing, he tries to be honest and somewhat neutral when he's calling the fight but you can tell that they're trying to reel him in to make him say stuff that isn't happening like Lampley does when it is an HBO house fighter that is in the ring.

HBO's problem has been magnified with the disappearance of Floyd, regardless of what they say their network took a huge loss since Money left them; people ask questions and I'm sure that they know that HBO is the boxing giant of the sport and they wanted to know why Floyd left such a huge network?......

SHO will not bite the hand that is feeding them which is why they so eagerly snatched up Floyd and once other technically gifted fighters like the Rigo's of the sport learn that they either have to switch up their style or sit it out for months at a time waiting to get a fight from HBO then they too will leave them as well.

If you're not an all out Rocky then HBO is not clamoring to put you on especially as a headliner fight, Rigo won't get another headliner with HBO-he may be relegated to undercard status from here on out as long as he stays with HBO.
Jack 1000
They used Oscar as the tool to propel them and the second he went off on his own they sneak dissed him. Just like when Floyd beat Gatti, I noticed a shift in the way they spoke about him. The thing that boxers need to know is that if you fight on HBO and your not the in house fighter. And you win. You will be degraded and put on the shelf like some kind of toy. They've done it in the part and there doing it now with Rigondeaux. It's like fight on our network at your own risk

Good call! Notice how after Floyd beat Gatti, they didn't like it. Gatti was their action-fighter lovable poster-boy, and Floyd, didn't matter that he was and is one of the best most elusive fighters for his time, he had a prick personality. And HBO didn't like that this bad POS beat their Golden Goose. In fact, they made the odds in that fighter closer than they should have been. I will admit that at the time, I still had this strong hatred of Floyd and wanted Gatti to win. There were a lot of people that picked Gatti to win, because they put SO MUCH pom-poming into those three Gatti-Ward fights. The first fight was great, but the second and third are way over-rated. When Floyd gave Arturo the beating of his life, HBO didn't like that. Sort of a similar way that they treated Bradley like shit for beating Pacquaio and especially Marquez for KO'ing Lamply's "Bed Partner."

It's almost like if you followed pro wrestling at all. HBO wants their Rocky sluggers or goodie-too-shows personality boxers to be molded into a Hulk Hogan type persona. Delahoya, Gatti-Ward are the good guys. And like stated above, if you aren't a pretty boy good guy or a Rocky fighter, HBO doesn't respect you and will reduce you to undercard status if you can get anything at all, should you beat one of "Lamply's Toys." HBO's Rocky fighters or squeaky clean good guys are their "Hulk Hogan." and if you don't fit the mold that HBO is looking for, you will be restricted in terms of air-dates and opponents. It's exactly the type of Latin-American/Hispanic/Mexican, manufactured star that Bob Arum plays to and has for years. He's got the fighters that HBO wants, for now. If that relationship goes sour due to the distrust of Arum, and those fighters feeling that they are not getting what they are worth. (Alverado.) How long with the relationship last?

I also think that Tom Hauser is a good writer. I read, The Black Lights by him. But not so good at other elements of the fight game.

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 17 2013, 02:50 PM) *
Great post!

How would you all describe Roy Jone's treatment in his prime at HBO? He was not really the slugger that Merchant and Lamps wanted for the boxing persona? But HBO treated Roy well, despite his great skills, he did fight a lot of no-hopers and guys toward the end of their careers. Yet he would be considered more boxer than slugger. I liked his commentary though! What made Lamply and Merchant often bring out the pom-poms for Jones? Was it often his dominance over less than stellar opponents? Roy wasn't Lamply's "Goo Goo" toy like Delahoya was! I agree the way Lamply sucked up to Delahoa was sicking. I give Merchant credit for his famous "Delahoya's enterence music sucks." which showed that when we wanted to, he didn't have to be a "Yes Man" like Lamply all the time. Remember that Merchant's comment about Oscar's music got him suspended for a telecast?

Jack

thanks.

i think roy...like oscar, floyd and rigondeaux...was a rare talent and they recognized that early. let's not forget that roy got robbed in the '88 olympics so he was very much in the publics eye. roy came at the perfect time because that was when hbo started signing fighters to huge contracts in hopes of finding the next star. what they didn't forsee was roy milking that contract for all it was worth with his picking and choosing...and not really taking on big challenges. they created that monster...so they had to live with him. i can recall merchant giving jones shit a few times about his opposition which imo was the thing to do...but again, they created that monster. merchant "telling it like it is..." seems to start around that same time too. i thought it was funny when he said the music sucked...i didn't recall him being suspended for it until i read about it years afterward. i sometimes watch the old fights i have on dvd and once upon a time...merchants commentary was excellent. somewhere along the way....he became this old bitter/jaded man who feels it's necessary to shit on peoples careers. i prefer the young larry merchant. jim lampley always sucked ass to me. color commentator my ass...the guy has no clue. overall...i would say roy was treated well by hbo. he was pissed when they called him on his choosing weak opposition. they both said and did things to put strains on the relationship...but in the end, he still does commentary for them and is one of their more honest/accurate commentators. he is what's good about hbo when it comes to commentary.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 17 2013, 03:54 PM) *
I don't understand how Rafael is a match maker when he ain't gotten into a fight in his life, at least not in my view. I don't see where's the wealth of knowledge that he's bringing to the table. He's a nut hugger, plain and simple

Hauser still writes those types of articles, the recent shtick he's been railing on is Mayweather and USADA and their relationship with GB. If you listen to him, they're all in cahoots to make it seem like they're cleaning up the sport. He even claims to have proof that Mayweather failed a USADA administered test and they swept it under the rug. I used to respect him but he's become quite embarrassing

I agree also with TR getting special treatment over at HBO, I think that had a little something to do with the impact king had though. Tyson was the man and HBO needed something to counter attack with and they rode Arum's nuts and haven't stopped since. They used Oscar as the tool to propel them and the second he went off on his own they sneak dissed him. Just like when Floyd beat Gatti, I noticed a shift in the way they spoke about him. The thing that boxers need to know is that if you fight on HBO and your not the in house fighter. And you win. You will be degraded and put on the shelf like some kind of toy. They've done it in the part and there doing it now with Rigondeaux. It's like fight on our network at your own risk

i stopped reading his articles shortly after the bullshit. he lost all his credibility with that shit imo. i remember pointing it all out in another forum only to be attacked venemously by some of the writers who are shills for toprank. they're so predictable in their shit...it's super obvious. the whole usada/vada/conte bullshit is all they have to cling onto because none of them muthafuckas knows shit about boxing.

i miss don king. i know he wasn't the most honest dude in the sport...but who is??? arum is worse imo. my memory may be off...but there seemed to be more balance when he was around. these days...gbp and showtime seem to be kicking arums and hbo's ass. the rivalry is both good and bad. some great fights are being made. i'd like to see arum put the bullshit aside and let some great fights get made. i believe he's the one holding shit up.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 17 2013, 04:03 PM) *
Kellerman is a far better Boxing Historian than he is a Commentator. To me they picked him because they knew he could talk about all the history of this boxer and that boxer but doing flat out commentary is just not his thing, he tries to be honest and somewhat neutral when he's calling the fight but you can tell that they're trying to reel him in to make him say stuff that isn't happening like Lampley does when it is an HBO house fighter that is in the ring.

HBO's problem has been magnified with the disappearance of Floyd, regardless of what they say their network took a huge loss since Money left them; people ask questions and I'm sure that they know that HBO is the boxing giant of the sport and they wanted to know why Floyd left such a huge network?......

SHO will not bite the hand that is feeding them which is why they so eagerly snatched up Floyd and once other technically gifted fighters like the Rigo's of the sport learn that they either have to switch up their style or sit it out for months at a time waiting to get a fight from HBO then they too will leave them as well.

If you're not an all out Rocky then HBO is not clamoring to put you on especially as a headliner fight, Rigo won't get another headliner with HBO-he may be relegated to undercard status from here on out as long as he stays with HBO.

i don't think rigondeaux style has anything to do with it. floyd and broner weren't much different stylistically. they were all over broners nut sack before he even really accomplished anything noteworthy. rigo seems to be a bigger puncher than both floyd and broner. shit..u can even throw donaires name in there too!!! donaires has stunk out the joint plenty of times...that mathebula fight was garbage....he didn't do shit against narvaez and rigondeaux!!! but he's being invited back!?!?!?

rigondeaux shouldn't have to switch his style up for no one. hbo and arum need to get some understanding.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 17 2013, 06:02 PM) *

Good call! Notice how after Floyd beat Gatti, they didn't like it. Gatti was their action-fighter lovable poster-boy, and Floyd, didn't matter that he was and is one of the best most elusive fighters for his time, he had a prick personality. And HBO didn't like that this bad POS beat their Golden Goose. In fact, they made the odds in that fighter closer than they should have been. I will admit that at the time, I still had this strong hatred of Floyd and wanted Gatti to win. There were a lot of people that picked Gatti to win, because they put SO MUCH pom-poming into those three Gatti-Ward fights. The first fight was great, but the second and third are way over-rated. When Floyd gave Arturo the beating of his life, HBO didn't like that. Sort of a similar way that they treated Bradley like shit for beating Pacquaio and especially Marquez for KO'ing Lamply's "Bed Partner."

It's almost like if you followed pro wrestling at all. HBO wants their Rocky sluggers or goodie-too-shows personality boxers to be molded into a Hulk Hogan type persona. Delahoya, Gatti-Ward are the good guys. And like stated above, if you aren't a pretty boy good guy or a Rocky fighter, HBO doesn't respect you and will reduce you to undercard status if you can get anything at all, should you beat one of "Lamply's Toys." HBO's Rocky fighters or squeaky clean good guys are their "Hulk Hogan." and if you don't fit the mold that HBO is looking for, you will be restricted in terms of air-dates and opponents. It's exactly the type of Latin-American/Hispanic/Mexican, manufactured star that Bob Arum plays to and has for years. He's got the fighters that HBO wants, for now. If that relationship goes sour due to the distrust of Arum, and those fighters feeling that they are not getting what they are worth. (Alverado.) How long with the relationship last?

I also think that Tom Hauser is a good writer. I read, The Black Lights by him. But not so good at other elements of the fight game.

Jack

the thing about it...gatti had been beaten plenty of times by other good fighters. stopped by angel manfreddy, ivan robinson x 2, stopped by oscar de la hoya...but they just kept recycling him while they swept other guys to the side. win or lose, gatti was an exciting fighter. same can be said for other guys like zab judah. thing about judah though...he was brought back as the 'b' side to the promotion whereas gatti was brought back as the 'a' side. if hbo had any sense....or knew what the fuck they were doing...it really comes down to quality match making. in order for that to happen...you need guys who really know boxing...not guys who follow boxing and report on it. there's a difference.

i read "the black lights" years ago. it's the one about billy costello. i really didn't like the guy when he was fighting but i thought the book was excellent. he passed a few years ago. hauser is definitely a good writer. he should stick to that.
daprofessor
so now the story is that hbo is turning down opponents for andre wards come back fight after his surgery. anyone hear about this?
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 26 2013, 10:11 PM) *
so now the story is that hbo is turning down opponents for andre wards come back fight after his surgery. anyone hear about this?

Who they turn down? Now maybe Andre is seeing that jumping over to HBO wasn't such a good idea. He deserves better then the treatment he's getting. I wouldn't be surprised if he literally turned into Bernard personality wise. He gets little respect from the suits
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 27 2013, 01:08 AM) *
Who they turn down? Now maybe Andre is seeing that jumping over to HBO wasn't such a good idea. He deserves better then the treatment he's getting. I wouldn't be surprised if he literally turned into Bernard personality wise. He gets little respect from the suits

funny you should say that! is it just me, or did bradley and wards demeanor seem to change in their latest interviews on video? they almost seemed annoyed and angry.

wow....there is definitely a patter going on at hbo. they had the best fighter in the game and consistently shit on him and took him for granted.

can't expect it to be any different for bradley, ward or rigondeaux. i don't want to be the one to point out the obvious similarities between these guys...

mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 29 2013, 03:20 PM) *
funny you should say that! is it just me, or did bradley and wards demeanor seem to change in their latest interviews on video? they almost seemed annoyed and angry.

wow....there is definitely a patter going on at hbo. they had the best fighter in the game and consistently shit on him and took him for granted.

can't expect it to be any different for bradley, ward or rigondeaux. i don't want to be the one to point out the obvious similarities between these guys...

Imagine what will happen if and when Andre beat the boxer formerly known as Chavez Jr or if he beats Golovkin, they're going to pounce on him and do everything they can to diminish his standing in boxing, quite like how they've attempted to do to Mayweather Jr.

You are right in that they're demeanor seems to have changed but you and I both know that Tim and Andre are far from the people they are coming across to be in these interviews. I think they are upset at the way the portrayal of them is coming off to the public and I can't blame them for that
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 29 2013, 04:54 PM) *
Imagine what will happen if and when Andre beat the boxer formerly known as Chavez Jr or if he beats Golovkin, they're going to pounce on him and do everything they can to diminish his standing in boxing, quite like how they've attempted to do to Mayweather Jr.

You are right in that they're demeanor seems to have changed but you and I both know that Tim and Andre are far from the people they are coming across to be in these interviews. I think they are upset at the way the portrayal of them is coming off to the public and I can't blame them for that

i agree.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 17 2013, 04:48 PM) *
i don't think rigondeaux style has anything to do with it. floyd and broner weren't much different stylistically. they were all over broners nut sack before he even really accomplished anything noteworthy. rigo seems to be a bigger puncher than both floyd and broner. shit..u can even throw donaires name in there too!!! donaires has stunk out the joint plenty of times...that mathebula fight was garbage....he didn't do shit against narvaez and rigondeaux!!! but he's being invited back!?!?!?

rigondeaux shouldn't have to switch his style up for no one. hbo and arum need to get some understanding.

Rigondeaux beat Donaire, that was not suppose to happen in their eyes. So, this suspension or benching is punishment that you never beat the home fighter. Rigondeaux would probably gotten more fights if he lost.
Jack 1000
HBO rejected Ward's fght with Sartsion. Is this because neither are Rocky's and Lamply would have no reason to bring his pom poms? If Ward's name were Pacquaio or Rios, they wouldn't reject any opponent. The HBO agenda is now being transcended onto Ward.

Story here:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/proposed-h...-through-218285

Credit: Fightnews.

Jack
wolterb
what a bummer for ward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.