Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gary Russell Jr. vs. Abner Mares
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Dolimite
Mares vs. Russell Jr.: I like this fight. It would test both fighters. Mares wants and Russell wants the fight. Who would yawl this fight? It would be interesting.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 10 2013, 03:18 PM) *
Mares vs. Russell Jr.: I like this fight. It would test both fighters. Mares wants and Russell wants the fight. Who would yawl this fight? It would be interesting.

i thought russell was fighting ponce de leon? i'll be happy when this dude starts stepping up his comp. he seems to have great skills. test them shits and stop calling out the juanma lopez's and ponce de leons of the world.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 10 2013, 02:34 PM) *
i thought russell was fighting ponce de leon? i'll be happy when this dude starts stepping up his comp. he seems to have great skills. test them shits and stop calling out the juanma lopez's and ponce de leons of the world.

Mares is a dirty fighter at times but he would mawl Gary. Too much experience and too much confidence, Russell hasn't fought anyone near abners caliber yet.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 10 2013, 03:39 PM) *
Mares is a dirty fighter at times but he would mawl Gary. Too much experience and too much confidence, Russell hasn't fought anyone near abners caliber yet.

mares gets away with murder. they fucked agbeko in both his fights against mares. they let him do whatever he wanted against moreno as well. his days are numbered. he knows rigondeaux will beat him. i know russell hasn't been tested...but i like his chances against mares.
Dolimite
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 10 2013, 11:49 AM) *
mares gets away with murder. they fucked agbeko in both his fights against mares. they let him do whatever he wanted against moreno as well. his days are numbered. he knows rigondeaux will beat him. i know russell hasn't been tested...but i like his chances against mares.

He has a fight in August and who knows who he will be fighting next. I hope he gets Mares early next year. It should be a great bout.
Jovi
I agree with Professor (as usual). I like Russell Jr a lot, he has the skills but he hasn't had any worthy opponents. Even Terrence Crawford already made a name for himself with his last 2 fights and those were the first I've seen of him. I have a feeling if he gets too used to these easy fights then he will be overwhelmed when someone forces him out of his gameplan and needs to adapt on the fly. As long as Russell can take a hit then i see it going for him but Mares is also really good so if Russell comes in underestimating then he will get upset.

Rigondeaux beats both of them. aikido.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jul 10 2013, 08:10 PM) *
I agree with Professor (as usual). I like Russell Jr a lot, he has the skills but he hasn't had any worthy opponents. Even Terrence Crawford already made a name for himself with his last 2 fights and those were the first I've seen of him. I have a feeling if he gets too used to these easy fights then he will be overwhelmed when someone forces him out of his gameplan and needs to adapt on the fly. As long as Russell can take a hit then i see it going for him but Mares is also really good so if Russell comes in underestimating then he will get upset.

Rigondeaux beats both of them. aikido.gif

yessir!!!
mrchitown
Russell by UD. He hasn't fought anyone yet per se, but once he get one of these belt holders in the ring, he will prove his skills are the real deal. As for him and Ponce De Leon, Ponce is the one begging for that fight, I think Gary whips him as well
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 10 2013, 03:39 PM) *

Pretty much what Im thinking. I just cant see him dealing with Mares. Abner is one of those dudes that needs to be handled from the opening bell, to the final bell. Any inconsistencies, and he'll step on the gas and mow you down.
bnoles4life
[video][/video]
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 11 2013, 02:41 AM) *
Russell by UD. He hasn't fought anyone yet per se, but once he get one of these belt holders in the ring, he will prove his skills are the real deal. As for him and Ponce De Leon, Ponce is the one begging for that fight, I think Gary whips him as well

Prior to the Mares/PDL fight, GRJ said he wanted the winner....well, he's getting the loser. LOL. I agree, I think GRJ beats Mares. I like Mares, but I just don't see what everyone else is seeing in Mares over GRJ. I get Mares has fought the better comp, but I think people ride TOO much on that. I mean, who has Mares faced, that everyone thinks would've beaten GRJ? Lastly, I agree. The days of WSUP (Martin's Lawerence's radio show from the show Martin) "charity" fights are over.
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jul 11 2013, 08:33 AM) *
[video][/video]

Prior to the Mares/PDL fight, GRJ said he wanted the winner....well, he's getting the loser. LOL. I agree, I think GRJ beats Mares. I like Mares, but I just don't see what everyone else is seeing in Mares over GRJ. I get Mares has fought the better comp, but I think people ride TOO much on that. I mean, who has Mares faced, that everyone thinks would've beaten GRJ? Lastly, I agree. The days of WSUP (Martin's Lawerence's radio show from the show Martin) "charity" fights are over.

I could say the same for Russell, what has he done? Yea hes flashy (fast and throws a lot of punches) but he squares up has little defence and hasn't fought a decent fighter in what? The 3 years he's been on Hbo. Mares won the bantam tourney, and won titles in like 3 weight classes along with chasing donaire and even calling out rigo. The guy has no ounce of doubt in his body, he may be dirty at times but he fights everyone he can and hasn't lost yet.
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jul 11 2013, 09:33 AM) *
[video][/video]

did you forget to post the video? i need proof of that. all i recall is russell calling out juanma lopez which i thought was extremely weak.
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jul 11 2013, 08:33 AM) *
[video][/video]

That's my only thing with Russell Jr, be keeps talking about the vision, I see it....now can we just get to it right now lol. The bum of the month club is over, his skill level is definitely higher then some belt holders in other divisions, it's time to put the big boy pants on and go to work for real now
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 11 2013, 03:41 PM) *
That's my only thing with Russell Jr, be keeps talking about the vision, I see it....now can we just get to it right now lol. The bum of the month club is over, his skill level is definitely higher then some belt holders in other divisions, it's time to put the big boy pants on and go to work for real now

Lol. My point exactly
bnoles4life
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 11 2013, 03:53 PM) *
did you forget to post the video? i need proof of that. all i recall is russell calling out juanma lopez which i thought was extremely weak.

No vid, just the article from Hype.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article14211.html
mrchitown
According to PDL and his team Russell Jr and his camp turned down the fight
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 11 2013, 09:41 PM) *
According to PDL and his team Russell Jr and his camp turned down the fight

Wouldn't doubt it.. wonder who the "bum of the month" will be? Lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 11 2013, 11:43 PM) *

Probably Rafael Marquez...GBP just signed him recently.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 10 2013, 02:18 PM) *

I think Russell outboxes Mares rather easily over the course of the fight. Russell by UD
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 16 2013, 07:47 AM) *
I think Russell outboxes Mares rather easily over the course of the fight. Russell by UD

too bad russell and his ppl don't have the same confidence in him that you do.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 11 2013, 10:43 PM) *

Haymon and the rest of team Russell need to taken the training wheels off. This kid is still on a big wheel while talking trash about other boxers and they on motorcycles
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 16 2013, 09:40 PM) *
Haymon and the rest of team Russell need to taken the training wheels off. This kid is still on a big wheel while talking trash about other boxers and they on motorcycles

laugh.gif they're doing stoppies and wheelies and shit....and gary russell is on some ol' "watch how fast i can go!" laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 17 2013, 02:03 PM) *
laugh.gif they're doing stoppies and wheelies and shit....and gary russell is on some ol' "watch how fast i can go!" laugh.gif

He gon be the 37yr old dude in the hood still riding 10 speeds while everybody else pushing cars lol
Dolimite
Is it Russell's fault that he doesn't get top notched competition or is he just letting his promotional team do their job? I do think he should be fighting contenders rather than journeymen. If he wants to talk big boy shit than he needs to get in the ring with the top contenders. Let's see what you can do Russ!
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 18 2013, 12:16 AM) *
Is it Russell's fault that he doesn't get top notched competition or is he just letting his promotional team do their job? I do think he should be fighting contenders rather than journeymen. If he wants to talk big boy shit than he needs to get in the ring with the top contenders. Let's see what you can do Russ!

It's definitely his fault. At some point or another he has to step it up, he's been fighting the same level of opposition for like three years now. If he doesn't start stepping up he's gonna have a less than gentle fall from grace as soon as he faces decent guys like Andre berto.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 17 2013, 04:59 PM) *
He gon be the 37yr old dude in the hood still riding 10 speeds while everybody else pushing cars lol

Nah, he'll at least have a "Deebo" bike by then, or worse case scenario, a Pee-wee Herman bike.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 17 2013, 03:59 PM) *

with mad reflectors and big ass chrome mirrors on his shit and streamers poppin wheelies. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 18 2013, 12:20 AM) *
It's definitely his fault. At some point or another he has to step it up, he's been fighting the same level of opposition for like three years now. If he doesn't start stepping up he's gonna have a less than gentle fall from grace as soon as he faces decent guys like Andre berto.

i agree. this shit about "let me test my hand...and then...blah,blah,blah..." test yo shit in the gym mane!!!
MaxPayne
According to Ringtv.com, Russell's opponent for his fight which is in like 2 weeks, hasn't been decided yet.

This is really the bullshit. Here's a guy with excellent skills who I want to see fighting some legit people, not some stooge who would be better served working at a car wash.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 18 2013, 01:28 PM) *
with mad reflectors and big ass chrome mirrors on his shit and streamers poppin wheelies. laugh.gif

Man he'd get Clowned for something like that, he might as well get one of them scooters from the 80's lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 18 2013, 08:46 AM) *
Nah, he'll at least have a "Deebo" bike by then, or worse case scenario, a Pee-wee Herman bike.

I can definitely see that occurring lol, Haymon going to have to make a move in this kid and see what he's really made of, I don't want to see him on Andre Direll status but that's where he's heading
mrchitown
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jul 21 2013, 12:13 PM) *
According to Ringtv.com, Russell's opponent for his fight which is in like 2 weeks, hasn't been decided yet.

This is really the bullshit. Here's a guy with excellent skills who I want to see fighting some legit people, not some stooge who would be better served working at a car wash.

Wasting his talent fighting guys we all know he's going to beat in 2 rounds
checkleft
I think this guy is literally becoming the next berto if he is really fighting another TBA again.
Dolimite
Another Donaire. He better not get in the ring against a Rigondeaux type a guy. Take the training wheels off and step up to the plate. Stop saying your are the shit when you are fighting against shit fighters.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 23 2013, 01:05 AM) *
I can definitely see that occurring lol, Haymon going to have to make a move in this kid and see what he's really made of, I don't want to see him on Andre Direll status but that's where he's heading

GRJ and Gamboa are pretty much in the same boat, except Gamboa is worse off. If I see one of these guys in another "TBA" fight, Im gonna lose it! We've waited yeeeears to see Gamboa in a big fights, but all he's managed to do is show us his flaws against lesser known and basic fighters. Oh the joy of watching these dudes' careers "blossom".

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 23 2013, 09:59 AM) *
Another Donaire. He better not get in the ring against a Rigondeaux type a guy. Take the training wheels off and step up to the plate. Stop saying your are the shit when you are fighting against shit fighters.

Stop it D, he'll NEVER be another Donaire. At least Donaire was able to fight a metric fuck-ton of nobodies (aside from Vasquez Jr) for almost two years straight, and get FOTY in 2012. Russell hasn't reached that oh-so coveted level of "nothingness" just yet, but when he does, oh boy, it'll be epic!
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 24 2013, 08:35 AM) *
GRJ and Gamboa are pretty much in the same boat, except Gamboa is worse off. If I see one of these guys in another "TBA" fight, Im gonna lose it! We've waited yeeeears to see Gamboa in a big fights, but all he's managed to do is show us his flaws against lesser known and basic fighters. Oh the joy of watching these dudes' careers "blossom".

Stop it D, he'll NEVER be another Donaire. At least Donaire was able to fight a metric fuck-ton of nobodies (aside from Vasquez Jr) for almost two years straight, and get FOTY in 2012. Russell hasn't reached that oh-so coveted level of "nothingness" just yet, but when he does, oh boy, it'll be epic!

Meaning good sir, the moment he fights someone worth a damn, he may get dusted. When Donaire faced a threat look what happen, he lost. Badly.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 24 2013, 03:28 PM) *
Meaning good sir, the moment he fights someone worth a damn, he may get dusted. When Donaire faced a threat look what happen, he lost. Badly.

I was being sarcastic in that post. You didn't catch the part about Donaire fighting a bunch of nobodies, and getting FOTY in 2012? Lol. I cant stand either of the two of them at the present time.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 24 2013, 12:35 PM) *
I was being sarcastic in that post. You didn't catch the part about Donaire fighting a bunch of nobodies, and getting FOTY in 2012? Lol. I cant stand either of the two of them at the present time.

rolleyes_anim.gif I have no sense humor. You got me!
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 23 2013, 06:19 AM) *
I think this guy is literally becoming the next berto if he is really fighting another TBA again.

berto has fought some very good opposition....

estrada
collazo
quintana
forbes
urango
ortiz
guerrero...

his last 11 opponents have a combined record of 313-23. that's very respectable. russel's resume doesn't have a recognizable name on it...his last 11 opponents are a combined 235-68. i used 11 because that was how far i went back with recognizable names on berto's resume. berto is 28-2 and has held a belt. russell is 22-0 and is fighting a guy who has 6 losses in a row.

i don't understand why berto gets the bad rap. actually...i do. it's because people listen to pencil neck commentators and journalists that don't know shit about boxing.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 24 2013, 04:37 PM) *
rolleyes_anim.gif I have no sense humor. You got me!

I suffer with that from time to time. cool.gif
jordanbstopps
I think Gary Russell Jr wins this fight, too talented and fast for anyone in the super-featherweight division.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 24 2013, 06:30 PM) *
berto has fought some very good opposition....

estrada
collazo
quintana
forbes
urango
ortiz
guerrero...

his last 11 opponents have a combined record of 313-23. that's very respectable. russel's resume doesn't have a recognizable name on it...his last 11 opponents are a combined 235-68. i used 11 because that was how far i went back with recognizable names on berto's resume. berto is 28-2 and has held a belt. russell is 22-0 and is fighting a guy who has 6 losses in a row.

i don't understand why berto gets the bad rap. actually...i do. it's because people listen to pencil neck commentators and journalists that don't know shit about boxing.

berto gets a bad rap because everytime he steps up he looks like absolute shit. Even in the zavek fight if it wasn't for zaveks face not holding up he would have been done, he was already barely keeping up.

But maybe he needs to sit back and get some soft touches in for a while until him and hunter get used to each other
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 31 2013, 05:41 PM) *
berto gets a bad rap because everytime he steps up he looks like absolute shit. Even in the zavek fight if it wasn't for zaveks face not holding up he would have been done, he was already barely keeping up.

But maybe he needs to sit back and get some soft touches in for a while until him and hunter get used to each other

what i meant about the bad rap was concerning his opposition.

as for his performance....part of the problem is like virgil hunter has said...he doesn't have a boxing identity. if you look at any of his fights....even the ones he won impressively, he has not been consistent...especially defensively. i agree...he and hunter should spend more time in the gym together and berto will improve. his shoulder is a serious issue so the time off is going to be in order. even though he won't be able to spar and hit the bags...there is plenty he can work on. for starters, his balance and something as simple as keeping his hands up. he needs to go back to square one and re-tool himself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.