Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gennady Golovkin vs Martin Murray
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
klonopinz
seems as though HBO has agreed to November 2 in New York for this fight, they are just working out the last details involving murrays us visa. What do yall think bout this fight? i think its a a good fight, i believe murray beat martinez, so its the next best thing for golovkin, because if he blows murray out, then theres no point in fighitng martinez, i think he should go for quillin if he wins. what you guys think?
jazz
Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopins twice. Kelly Pavlik then beat Jermain Taylor twice. So, naturally, it was not a leap to think that Pavlik would easily defeat Hopkins. We all know what happened in that fight. There is a saying, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man." Beating Martin Murray, who almost beat Martinez does not prove anything. Golovkin still needs to step in the ring with Martinez and/or Quillin to prove that he is the best at Middleweight. Beating guys who always finish second does not make you the winner.
daprofessor
beating murray will be a statement and a good measuring stick to see where golovkin fits in the middleweight division. it's just a matter of time before he's the top dog.
Jovi
GGG Taking over the game slowly but surely. He wants everyone and I commend Murray for stepping up when no one else would, Martinez and Quillen both don't seem to wanna step in the ring with GGG just yet. They're probably waiting to see a weakness exposed.

GGG vs Murray- really good fight and would be exciting, i hope it comes earlier than November. Murray has a really solid defense, his defense would able to nuetralize and brake down Martinez but idk if it would last up against GGG who has a better arsenal of punches than Martinez does. If Murray stands in front of GGG and be stablized so he doesnt get caught off balance, he could possibly be countering GGG . Anything can happen! I'm excited, I'm going with GGG but can't really bet against Murray.

Definitely best fighter for both fighters, whoever wins this is top at middleweight for me. Martinez lost to Murray and Quillen hasn't really proven himself as much and GGG, and when he actually gets the chance to fight him and prove his spot at 160 he turns it down, he don't want the top spot that bad.
Cshel86
QUOTE (jazz @ Jul 22 2013, 02:36 PM) *
Jermain Taylor beat Bernard Hopins twice. Kelly Pavlik then beat Jermain Taylor twice. So, naturally, it was not a leap to think that Pavlik would easily defeat Hopkins. We all know what happened in that fight. There is a saying, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man." Beating Martin Murray, who almost beat Martinez does not prove anything. Golovkin still needs to step in the ring with Martinez and/or Quillin to prove that he is the best at Middleweight. Beating guys who always finish second does not make you the winner.

I agree with most of your post, especially with the whole triangle theory...never been a huge believer in it. However, GGG beating Murray does say something. Had Martinez officially beaten Murray, then I'd agree that it wouldn't do much for GGG's career.

As Professor mentioned, a Murray fight would be a good measuring stick for GGG, to see where he truly stands in the MW division. How else could we just judge his style and potential to fight Martinez, if they dont share common opponents? If GGG was just fighting bums, then he'd have no right to call out Martinez or Quillin, but if he trails behind them and destroys common opponents, then that would be a step in the right direction, or at least give him a leg to stand on.

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jul 22 2013, 03:39 PM) *
GGG Taking over the game slowly but surely. He wants everyone and I commend Murray for stepping up when no one else would, Martinez and Quillen both don't seem to wanna step in the ring with GGG just yet. They're probably waiting to see a weakness exposed.

Me thinks that they're either exclusively seeking money fights (as for Martinez and his advanced age), or they're looking for crossover fights (Quillin) that will boost their careers.
mgrover
It was odd how Martinez said he'd never ever given Martin a rematch because he was being dirty, but I never recalled any of that during the fight.

"He was like I expected. He had his chance but he was dirty, he hit me several times with his knee on purpose, knee against knee and donít believe he deserves a rematch. I will never give him a rematch."
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 22 2013, 05:52 PM) *
It was odd how Martinez said he'd never ever given Martin a rematch because he was being dirty, but I never recalled any of that during the fight.

"He was like I expected. He had his chance but he was dirty, he hit me several times with his knee on purpose, knee against knee and donít believe he deserves a rematch. I will never give him a rematch."

laugh.gif i missed that part of the interview. pathetic.
sduck
Funny because I think Martinez would beat GGG, based off what I seen.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 22 2013, 02:13 PM) *
beating murray will be a statement and a good measuring stick to see where golovkin fits in the middleweight division. it's just a matter of time before he's the top dog.

I agree, though the prospect of him in with Quillen and/or martinez is pretty exciting
checkleft
QUOTE (jazz @ Jul 22 2013, 01:36 PM) *

Very good post.
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 22 2013, 03:14 PM) *
I agree with most of your post, especially with the whole triangle theory...never been a huge believer in it. However, GGG beating Murray does say something. Had Martinez officially beaten Murray, then I'd agree that it wouldn't do much for GGG's career.

As Professor mentioned, a Murray fight would be a good measuring stick for GGG, to see where he truly stands in the MW division. How else could we just judge his style and potential to fight Martinez, if they dont share common opponents? If GGG was just fighting bums, then he'd have no right to call out Martinez or Quillin, but if he trails behind them and destroys common opponents, then that would be a step in the right direction, or at least give him a leg to stand on.

Me thinks that they're either exclusively seeking money fights (as for Martinez and his advanced age), or they're looking for crossover fights (Quillin) that will boost their careers.

Read my mind with the whole triangle theory thing and the martinez thing. Martinez takes tough fight after tough fight no matter how marketable his opposition is and he probably wants a money fight.

And as you said quillen is probably gonna let it either maronate or find someone to give him some exposure.
jazz
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 22 2013, 03:14 PM) *

If GGG beats Murray, and then Martinez and Quillin refuse to fight GGG for whatever reason, then I would say that GGG deserves to be considered the best at middleweight. Beating Murray would be a feather in GGG's cap, but all it proves is that he is capable of beating a guy that Martinez beat. Whether he defeats him by knockout or decision proves nothing. I personally am not sold on GGG. His comment about being willing to go down immediately to 154 to fight Mayweather or Alvarez, but needing t wait two years to move up to fight Andre Ward didn't help my opinion. I think GGG is a good fighter, but I don't believe he has been tested yet. I also don't believe that Quillin has been tested yet and I believe that Martinez is past his prime and may not be able to beat GGG because of that. Either way, GGG needs to step in the ring with Martinez or Qulllin to demonstrate that he is worthy of being called the best in the division.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 21 2013, 08:50 PM) *
seems as though HBO has agreed to November 2 in New York for this fight, they are just working out the last details involving murrays us visa. What do yall think bout this fight? i think its a a good fight, i believe murray beat martinez, so its the next best thing for golovkin, because if he blows murray out, then theres no point in fighitng martinez, i think he should go for quillin if he wins. what you guys think?

Wow, I really hope this fight comes off because I know Murray will not be running from GGG like most every other fighter in his class, if he does blow Murray out though I'd still like to see the Martinez fight with him though I suspect that GGG puts SM to sleep.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 23 2013, 06:25 AM) *
Very good post.

Read my mind with the whole triangle theory thing and the martinez thing. Martinez takes tough fight after tough fight no matter how marketable his opposition is and he probably wants a money fight.

And as you said quillen is probably gonna let it either maronate or find someone to give him some exposure.

Sometimes great minds think alike and agree, other times, they're thinking the same thing, but on a collision course. Lol

I'm sure Martinez wants a money fight, don't they all? As you said, he has taken hard fight after hard fight. He just cant afford to llok perpetually shitty in his next couple of fights, to avoid looking vulnerable and thirsty for another payday. Quillen needs that ONE opponent that will help him headline a Barclay's card. So far, he's had good enough opponents to produce a solid co-feature, I'll give him that much.

Speaking of the Barclay's Center fight cards, what's up with them praising Danny Jacobs for running through these bums? I know that dude survived cancer and all, cool, but they need to kill the noise with him beating these bums. I mean dude's been fighting milk men and lifeguards and shit. Am I wrong for feeling this way?
Cshel86
QUOTE (jazz @ Jul 23 2013, 04:16 PM) *
If GGG beats Murray, and then Martinez and Quillin refuse to fight GGG for whatever reason, then I would say that GGG deserves to be considered the best at middleweight. Beating Murray would be a feather in GGG's cap, but all it proves is that he is capable of beating a guy that Martinez beat. Whether he defeats him by knockout or decision proves nothing. I personally am not sold on GGG. His comment about being willing to go down immediately to 154 to fight Mayweather or Alvarez, but needing t wait two years to move up to fight Andre Ward didn't help my opinion. I think GGG is a good fighter, but I don't believe he has been tested yet. I also don't believe that Quillin has been tested yet and I believe that Martinez is past his prime and may not be able to beat GGG because of that. Either way, GGG needs to step in the ring with Martinez or Qulllin to demonstrate that he is worthy of being called the best in the division.

If GGG beats Murray, and Martinez and Quillen find other opponents, then GGG simply beat Murray, that's it. I'm not sure where the whole "if (insert fighter's name) is being avoided/ducked, then he's the best in the division" theory is coming from. It's simply a conclusion made out of frustration.

I mean, even that avoided/ducked fighter should just be real with themselves, and realize that they may not be that big ticket just yet, if ever. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're the best in the division. If a fighter has to go with what fickle boxing "fans" are saying, then they really need to look in the mirror.

I'm a bit lost in your point, but hell, you do make some great points. As for GGG's statement about moving down to 54 to face Mayweather, Alvarez, etc (translation: money fights), but having to wait to move up to fight Ward, is crazy. I thought I remember him saying that he'd fight anybody from 54 to 68, but he and Ward having been jawing at each other lately, so I'm sure I missed something. Lol

Just as GGG is guilty of that, the same can be said about Martinez as of a year or two ago. He was jawing about going down to 54 to face Mayweather, or 150 to face Pacquiao, but when Kirkland's name was mentioned, he said that James had to come up to 160. His promoter was yapping about him (Sergio) being a solid MW, but Martinez himself couldn't really decide as to whether or not he was a Jr. MW or a MW...money tends to scramble brains though. Lol

My question to you is...where would you rank GGG, if he beats a "past prime" prime Martinez, or an "untested" Quillen? It seems like you're saying that either these guys are just ripe for picking, or a victory over them does nothing for GGG's career. In the same breath, you said that GGG would be considered the "best in the division" if he beats either two of them. Hmm...

sduck
QUOTE (jazz @ Jul 23 2013, 03:16 PM) *

I watched the GGG vs Rosado fight, Rosado was holding his own and it would of went to a close decision if it wasn't for that bad cut. They've been building GGG up to be the next big thing and honestly I don't see that. I think he'd beat Kid Chocolate, but he won't beat Martinez imo. He's probably going to have a hard fight with Murray too.

Also, Ward would beat the breaks out of all these guys, I'm laughing thinking about it.
HyyerBlaze
QUOTE (sduck @ Jul 24 2013, 10:34 AM) *
I watched the GGG vs Rosado fight, Rosado was holding his own and it would of went to a close decision if it wasn't for that bad cut. They've been building GGG up to be the next big thing and honestly I don't see that. I think he'd beat Kid Chocolate, but he won't beat Martinez imo. He's probably going to have a hard fight with Murray too.

Also, Ward would beat the breaks out of all these guys, I'm laughing thinking about it.

Close decision?...Rosado didn't even land 100 punches that fight...
checkleft
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Jul 24 2013, 02:53 PM) *
Close decision?...Rosado didn't even land 100 punches that fight...

Uh oh, hbo punch stats work there magic again lol. Rosado was holding his own, compubox is not very accurate and its definitely skewed at times in favor of hbos fighter.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 24 2013, 10:19 AM) *
If GGG beats Murray, and Martinez and Quillen find other opponents, then GGG simply beat Murray, that's it. I'm not sure where the whole "if (insert fighter's name) is being avoided/ducked, then he's the best in the division" theory is coming from. It's simply a conclusion made out of frustration.

I mean, even that avoided/ducked fighter should just be real with themselves, and realize that they may not be that big ticket just yet, if ever. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're the best in the division. If a fighter has to go with what fickle boxing "fans" are saying, then they really need to look in the mirror.

I'm a bit lost in your point, but hell, you do make some great points. As for GGG's statement about moving down to 54 to face Mayweather, Alvarez, etc (translation: money fights), but having to wait to move up to fight Ward, is crazy. I thought I remember him saying that he'd fight anybody from 54 to 68, but he and Ward having been jawing at each other lately, so I'm sure I missed something. Lol

Just as GGG is guilty of that, the same can be said about Martinez as of a year or two ago. He was jawing about going down to 54 to face Mayweather, or 150 to face Pacquiao, but when Kirkland's name was mentioned, he said that James had to come up to 160. His promoter was yapping about him (Sergio) being a solid MW, but Martinez himself couldn't really decide as to whether or not he was a Jr. MW or a MW...money tends to scramble brains though. Lol

My question to you is...where would you rank GGG, if he beats a "past prime" prime Martinez, or an "untested" Quillen? It seems like you're saying that either these guys are just ripe for picking, or a victory over them does nothing for GGG's career. In the same breath, you said that GGG would be considered the "best in the division" if he beats either two of them. Hmm...

Exactly, theirs something going on there! Jump on it, fuck that humble respect they should just get it on!

I remember when ggg called out everyone from 154-168 and Edwin rodriguez called him out on it ggg hushed up about it, at least that's the word around the block.
HyyerBlaze
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2013, 04:13 PM) *
Uh oh, hbo punch stats work there magic again lol. Rosado was holding his own, compubox is not very accurate and its definitely skewed at times in favor of hbos fighter.

Lol I know its not 100% accurate but I thought each of their faces after the fight proved #s to be correct.

Rosado def deserved to be in the ring but no way would it have been a close decision.
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2013, 04:16 PM) *
Exactly, theirs something going on there! Jump on it, fuck that humble respect they should just get it on!

I remember when ggg called out everyone from 154-168 and Edwin rodriguez called him out on it ggg hushed up about it, at least that's the word around the block.

edwin who? that dude got a gift against will rosinsky and will get put to sleep when he fights golovkin.

golovkin will fight these guys...but he's got to maximize his earnings by cleaning out 160....and if the floyd or canelo fights become available (i highly doubt either will ever share a ring with him) he would be a fool not to take the easy money.

originally i believed ggg's toughest fight would be ward....and i'm sticking with that...but i'm actually thinking it's a very winnable fight for him when it happens.
jtiizzle
he will destroy murray, and martinez who is a hype job, the guy is knocking out everybody give credit where credit is due. He is knocking out guys who martinez is going life and death with to me he is the best at 160 and it's obvious
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 24 2013, 06:16 PM) *
edwin who? that dude got a gift against will rosinsky and will get put to sleep when he fights golovkin.

golovkin will fight these guys...but he's got to maximize his earnings by cleaning out 160....and if the floyd or canelo fights become available (i highly doubt either will ever share a ring with him) he would be a fool not to take the easy money.

originally i believed ggg's toughest fight would be ward....and i'm sticking with that...but i'm actually thinking it's a very winnable fight for him when it happens.

laugh.gif you say the funniest things sometimes Professor
checkleft
QUOTE (jtiizzle @ Jul 24 2013, 10:10 PM) *
he will destroy murray, and martinez who is a hype job, the guy is knocking out everybody give credit where credit is due. He is knocking out guys who martinez is going life and death with to me he is the best at 160 and it's obvious

I cant tell if your trolling or being serious
jtiizzle
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2013, 10:22 PM) *
I cant tell if your trolling or being serious

I don't know what that is brah.
jtiizzle
too me martinez is a Good fighter, He isn't great he gets hurt and dropped wayyy too much. It's common sense you got a guy who is obliterating everybody and you got a guy who is going life and death with every fighter..it's clear as day it's just a matter of time before GGG retires him i can't wait
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 24 2013, 04:16 PM) *

I believe GGG would fight just about anybody, but I like how they're handling his career thus far. He just stays focused and fights whoever they put in front of him.

QUOTE (jtiizzle @ Jul 24 2013, 11:10 PM) *

We all felt that way about Tyson at one point, right? Lol
klonopinz
yeah but tyson was a nutjob rapist dope fiend at the time with yes men in his ear and an unstable mentality to begin with, ggg is a good boy who does good boy things. he just boxes, not nutjob habits
Hotsauce
whoever wins, wins
Cshel86
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 25 2013, 11:45 AM) *
yeah but tyson was a nutjob rapist dope fiend at the time with yes men in his ear and an unstable mentality to begin with, ggg is a good boy who does good boy things. he just boxes, not nutjob habits

What exactly does that have to do with his knockouts? If I remember correctly, Tyson appeared to be a quiet good boy, then all of the hyperbole from fans about how invincible he was, drew a huge cloud of attention over what he did outside of the ring.
klonopinz
well he was incincible, he began losing when he started to not give a shit, he wasnt focused on boxing, he was partying and training like 2 weeks per fight, then he got ktfo. golovkin is focused with no outside bullshit, so he will not fall like tyson did to douglas
klonopinz
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 01:16 PM) *
What exactly does that have to do with his knockouts? If I remember correctly, Tyson appeared to be a quiet good boy, then all of the hyperbole from fans about how invincible he was, drew a huge cloud of attention over what he did outside of the ring.

Cshel is good boy, hehehe hey guys, this is box, you know? this is box, i mean hey, cshel is good boy, i mean why not, this is box, heyy guys, this my dream, i want fight you know, i want fight, he is good boy.
Cshel86
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 25 2013, 01:33 PM) *
Cshel is good boy, hehehe hey guys, this is box, you know? this is box, i mean hey, cshel is good boy, i mean why not, this is box, heyy guys, this my dream, i want fight you know, i want fight, he is good boy.

WTH??? Lol

daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 24 2013, 11:18 PM) *

i read an interview where virgil hunter was analyzing a match up between martinez and golovkin. first thing out the gate he mentions are martinez' hand and knee injuries which i believe are legit concerns. injuries...especially at martinez' advanced age...are huge hinderances on performance. as i was reading his concerns...i couldn't help but think, hey...wait a minute....andre ward has had a broken hand against froch...a bad knee and surgery on it...and now he is coming off shoulder surgery. these are all things that add up especially when you have a guy who comes at you the way golovkin does. these injuries have to be considered and factored in. i don't believe they are going to fight anytime soon. that fight is probably a year or two away. who knows if andre wards body will hold up that long? that remains to be seen.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 11:26 AM) *
I believe GGG would fight just about anybody, but I like how they're handling his career thus far. He just stays focused and fights whoever they put in front of him.

We all felt that way about Tyson at one point, right? Lol

tyson didn't have over 300 amateur fights with only 5 losses.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 25 2013, 01:35 PM) *
i read an interview where virgil hunter was analyzing a match up between martinez and golovkin. first thing out the gate he mentions are martinez' hand and knee injuries which i believe are legit concerns. injuries...especially at martinez' advanced age...are huge hinderances on performance. as i was reading his concerns...i couldn't help but think, hey...wait a minute....andre ward has had a broken hand against froch...a bad knee and surgery on it...and now he is coming off shoulder surgery. these are all things that add up especially when you have a guy who comes at you the way golovkin does. these injuries have to be considered and factored in. i don't believe they are going to fight anytime soon. that fight is probably a year or two away. who knows if andre wards body will hold up that long? that remains to be seen.

It's a difference between being 30 and 38. I don't do sig bets I bet cash and if you want to take ggg I'm willing to put at least $500 on Ward to whip his ass. Ward is a better fighter then martinez and GGG. The man's ring IQ and dedication to the sport is only matched by a few and those two are nowhere near him. If and when that fight happens put the money up cuz he ain't winning
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 01:12 PM) *
WTH??? Lol

I tried to gloss over that, I don't know what kind of conversations your having around here lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 25 2013, 05:23 PM) *
It's a difference between being 30 and 38. I don't do sig bets I bet cash and if you want to take ggg I'm willing to put at least $500 on Ward to whip his ass. Ward is a better fighter then martinez and GGG. The man's ring IQ and dedication to the sport is only matched by a few and those two are nowhere near him. If and when that fight happens put the money up cuz he ain't winning

we shall see.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 25 2013, 02:37 PM) *
tyson didn't have over 300 amateur fights with only 5 losses.

Right.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 25 2013, 05:24 PM) *
I tried to gloss over that, I don't know what kind of conversations your having around here lol

Man, I'm just as clueless. As awkward as it seems, I'll be the first to stand up, raise my hand, and say that nothing surprises me anymore. Lol
klonopinz
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 02:12 PM) *
WTH??? Lol

you obviously didnt get it lol i was immitating golovkin in his interviews. he says the same shit voer and over. watch his interview and youll get it
Cshel86
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 25 2013, 07:09 PM) *
you obviously didnt get it lol i was immitating golovkin in his interviews. he says the same shit voer and over. watch his interview and youll get it

I wont lie and say that it didn't cross my mind. I kinda thought you were referring to Tyson as well, lol. GGG does have that broken English, which makes him sound cooler during interviews! You cant help but to like GGG.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 24 2013, 11:18 PM) *

I wonder about all of you guys sometimes Haha
QUOTE (jtiizzle @ Jul 25 2013, 04:12 AM) *
too me martinez is a Good fighter, He isn't great he gets hurt and dropped wayyy too much. It's common sense you got a guy who is obliterating everybody and you got a guy who is going life and death with every fighter..it's clear as day it's just a matter of time before GGG retires him i can't wait

Ggg is good. But your logic is hes knocking out 154 pounders and a guy who is 1-2 his last 3 and has been stopped in one of those so he can beat the top guy in the division? Meanwhile martinez is fighting guys twice his size and still winning while injured and its clear as day? Tell me If that makes sense to you.

Give ggg time. He's fought 1 middleweight for Pete sake lol
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 25 2013, 01:33 PM) *

Wth? Lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 26 2013, 12:22 PM) *
I wonder about all of you guys sometimes Haha

Ggg is good. But your logic is hes knocking out 154 pounders and a guy who is 1-2 his last 3 and has been stopped in one of those so he can beat the top guy in the division? Meanwhile martinez is fighting guys twice his size and still winning while injured and its clear as day? Tell me If that makes sense to you.

Give ggg time. He's fought 1 middleweight for Pete sake lol

Wth? Lol

this place would be boring if we agreed all the time. smile.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 26 2013, 03:02 PM) *
this place would be boring if we agreed all the time. smile.gif

True. Just don't start smoking those skip bayless drugs Haha
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 26 2013, 05:17 PM) *
True. Just don't start smoking those skip bayless drugs Haha

never that. i have logic and reason behind my opinion. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.