Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions on Zou Shiming
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
I never seen a guy headline a HBO card with only his second professional fight. Hell, I never seen a fighter being showcased with that amount of hype on only his first. This is all new to me, and to me, it would seem since HBO is expanding internationally, that they're putting a lot of bread in the future of the "Shiming dynasty" basket. Economically it seems smart, given the large Chinese population here in the states and around the world, but in the fight game, is it wise being that it's the Flyweight division, the most unpopular division in the sport? Or, unless his opponents share the same win/loss ratio as did Guierllemo Rigondeux's opponents did, how can we take the 31 year olds professional accomplishments seriously, given the unknown competition he faces thus far?
Dolimite
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jul 25 2013, 07:24 AM) *
I never seen a guy headline a HBO card with only his second professional fight. Hell, I never seen a fighter being showcased with that amount of hype on only his first. This is all new to me, and to me, it would seem since HBO is expanding internationally, that they're putting a lot of bread in the future of the "Shiming dynasty" basket. Economically it seems smart, given the large Chinese population here in the states and around the world, but in the fight game, is it wise being that it's the Flyweight division, the most unpopular division in the sport? Or, unless his opponents share the same win/loss ratio as did Guierllemo Rigondeux's opponents did, how can we take the 31 year olds professional accomplishments seriously, given the unknown competition he faces thus far?

Two questions I have about Shiming: 1. Can he go 5 rounds 2. Will he ever leave China to fight.

The guy is average. I mean he wasn't impressive in his debut. But maybe it was butterflies who knows.
Jovi
He got too excited in his first fight, gassed out after the 2nd round. I would have laughed at Arum if Zou got KOed. You know he's only there for that chinese demographic. After he will put him on some Pacquiao undercards and get that PPV$$ off him easy. Isn't he supposed to be on Pac's undercard? He's about to be 2-0 and he's already about to be on a PPV undercard, prepare for that alot next year too, he isn't going to be moving up in weight so he will be fighting no ones till maybe 7 wins since they want him to have a title shot soon. Honestly though, this seems to me like his 15 minutes to fame, unless he improved DRAMATICALLY from his first outing i think his first real contender will put him in his place...I want them to put him in with RIGO biggrin.gif Give the $$ and PPV undercards to someone who actually deserves it!
Gambit808
At this point Rigo would tear his ass up. Shiming's gonna be at fly weight for a while and is fighting half the rounds/half the talent of Rigo, so I wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 25 2013, 12:22 PM) *
Two questions I have about Shiming: 1. Can he go 5 rounds 2. Will he ever leave China to fight.

The guy is average. I mean he wasn't impressive in his debut. But maybe it was butterflies who knows.

1. Chances are, he can.
2. If he keeps getting the buzz and paydays that's he's getting now, then chances are, he wont leave China.

I just dont like all of this extra attention that they're giving him, but now that I think about it, what better time to give him this type of exposure? When he has about 15-20 fights and nobody knows who his opponents are; or put him on the big screen for his pro debut?

If I had to pick, then I'd agree with what they're doing now...showing him from his debut. That way, when he is ready to fight top opposition (in-house of course), then nobody can ever fix their mouth to say that he's some unknown Asian hype job that came outta nowhere.

Again, it's hard to watch, but I cant really complain about what they're doing at the moment.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 01:26 PM) *
1. Chances are, he can.
2. If he keeps getting the buzz and paydays that's he's getting now, then chances are, he wont leave China.

I just dont like all of this extra attention that they're giving him, but now that I think about it, what better time to give him this type of exposure? When he has about 15-20 fights and nobody knows who his opponents are; or put him on the big screen for his pro debut?

If I had to pick, then I'd agree with what they're doing now...showing him from his debut. That way, when he is ready to fight top opposition (in-house of course), then nobody can ever fix their mouth to say that he's some unknown Asian hype job that came outta nowhere.

Again, it's hard to watch, but I cant really complain about what they're doing at the moment.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jul 25 2013, 11:24 AM) *

this is a prime example of hbo's hypocracy. shiming, in comparison to rigondeaux, is absolutely nothing special. they need to match this guy as carefully as possible to keep him going. i get that they want to tap into the chinese market because there is money to be had there....but if they think rigondeaux is boring, shiming shouldn't be on their airwaves. he does have 2 gold medals...those are not easy to come by. i don't know that his style and open hand slaps are going to transfer into the pro game. he's not really fast, but he can box some.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jul 25 2013, 12:58 PM) *
He got too excited in his first fight, gassed out after the 2nd round. I would have laughed at Arum if Zou got KOed. You know he's only there for that chinese demographic. After he will put him on some Pacquiao undercards and get that PPV$$ off him easy. Isn't he supposed to be on Pac's undercard? He's about to be 2-0 and he's already about to be on a PPV undercard, prepare for that alot next year too, he isn't going to be moving up in weight so he will be fighting no ones till maybe 7 wins since they want him to have a title shot soon. Honestly though, this seems to me like his 15 minutes to fame, unless he improved DRAMATICALLY from his first outing i think his first real contender will put him in his place...I want them to put him in with RIGO biggrin.gif Give the $$ and PPV undercards to someone who actually deserves it!

i am going to laugh my ass off when this guy loses to some no name guy and derails arums plans.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 01:26 PM) *
1. Chances are, he can.

miguel cotto was given a lot of exposure early on...but nothing like this.
mgrover
supposedly 300 million people tuned in to watch this guy fight? that can't be fucking true lol
Cshel86
Didnt know Shiming made $500k for his 2nd pro fight. Cant knock it...he's got all of those people in China spending their money to watch him. He actually fought better, this time around.
HyyerBlaze
Watching this berto fight....holy hell I cant take paulies voice.STOP TALKING.
Cshel86
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Jul 27 2013, 09:57 PM) *
Watching this berto fight....holy hell I cant take paulies voice.STOP TALKING.

We have an opened thread at the top of the board. Check it out. Lol
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 28 2013, 01:34 AM) *
Didnt know Shiming made $500k for his 2nd pro fight. Cant knock it...he's got all of those people in China spending their money to watch him. He actually fought better, this time around.

well the Pac PPV is going to sell for $5, if something like 200-300 million tune in that's stupidly easy money. For some people there thinking 500 million will be closer, but I can't believe this till I get some actually real numbers from a decent source
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 27 2013, 07:27 PM) *
supposedly 300 million people tuned in to watch this guy fight? that can't be fucking true lol

China is big bro, true story
Franchize
If he fights anyone worth talking about in outside of China, he's probably going to get washed up. I'm not impressed by this cat at all and this is HBO's sad attempt to expand internationally. Cmon, you think taxes are the only reason Manny is fighting in Macau? This is HBO's equivalent of the NFL and the NBA having regular season games in London. And you know what....all of it sucks! lol
daprofessor
not everyone in china has a television.
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 29 2013, 07:49 AM) *
If he fights anyone worth talking about in outside of China, he's probably going to get washed up. I'm not impressed by this cat at all and this is HBO's sad attempt to expand internationally. Cmon, you think taxes are the only reason Manny is fighting in Macau? This is HBO's equivalent of the NFL and the NBA having regular season games in London. And you know what....all of it sucks! lol

Post of the month Hahaha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.