Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Berto Should Retire Now
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutUalBK
Andre Berto, is soon becoming the new Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy of the WWs and IMHO should hang it up before he gets seriously damaged; the kid has taken massive punishment in his last few fights, he swells easily and has had two major injuries to his shoulder within a year or so. I can't see that Virgil Hill has made him any better in any way, he looked like the same Berto to me and infact in many ways he looked worse.

What are your opinions of this once somewhat decent fighter beating guys he was supposed to beat but has so many holes in his game and chinks in his armor??
checkleft
He can be a good journeyman? Lol. For his own safety I would retire
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 28 2013, 05:17 PM) *
He can be a good journeyman? Lol. For his own safety I would retire

Did you see any improvements Hill made in him?
xxxxxx
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 28 2013, 05:01 PM) *
Andre Berto, is soon becoming the new Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy of the WWs and IMHO should hang it up before he gets seriously damaged; the kid has taken massive punishment in his last few fights, he swells easily and has had two major injuries to his shoulder within a year or so. I can't see that Virgil Hill has made him any better in any way, he looked like the same Berto to me and infact in many ways he looked worse.

What are your opinions of this once somewhat decent fighter beating guys he was supposed to beat but has so many holes in his game and chinks in his armor??

I'm assuming you meant Virgil Hunter. Virgil Hill is a former Light Heavyweight & Cruiserweight World Champion that was just recently inducted into the Boxing Hall Of Fame.
mrchitown
Virgil Hunter lol....and they had 1 training camp together, I don't know who drastic improvements were expected to be seen from him but Virgil gave him good instructions in the corner, I don't know what you were looking at but Berto just didn't heed his advice or maybe he couldn't because of the shoulder. Say what you will but the shoulder injury played a factor in the outcome of the bout.

I think ad it stands now he's like a gatekeeper of the division, I believe he could build his way back up but he and his team have to do it slowly, I feel like he's getting thrown to the wolves. He needs a few confidence building fights. And Hunter had to retool him the same way he's doing Khan, they have to unlearn the bull from their previous trainers. He might be done in some ways but he could still have some success in his career
mrchitown
And IMO he didn't look worse, he had man injury, and he still hung tough and was winning some rounds with one good arm, he has character I'll give him that much
checkleft
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 28 2013, 05:27 PM) *
Did you see any improvements Hill made in him?

In the first couple of rounds yes, his defence was actually decent. But once he gets touched he resorts back to slugging which is how he probably threw his shoulder out again. He has always been this way, he was known to have slugfests throughout his amateur career. I think its too late to change his instincts
leonthegee
Retire lol. Whats he going to do work at Wal Mart? The man has to earn a living. If I were him I would be thinking if it wasnt for the shoulder I would of won.
Gambit808
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jul 28 2013, 10:29 PM) *
Retire lol. Whats he going to do work at Wal Mart? The man has to earn a living. If I were him I would be thinking if it wasnt for the shoulder I would of won.

This!
The Original MrFactor
No question about it.
BigFightFan
Berto should give it one last run, drop his competition level and build up to a big fight. If he loses then retire.
Franchize
He shouldn't retire. He should stop fighting guys with actual boxing skills. Go fight some of them bums on Top Rank who love to get hit. He'll be right back in the lime light lol.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 29 2013, 07:47 AM) *
He shouldn't retire. He should stop fighting guys with actual boxing skills. Go fight some of them bums on Top Rank who love to get hit. He'll be right back in the lime light lol.

Maybe he shouldn't retire but he's definitely not going to be able to beat any of the top tiered fighters getting hit as much as he does and he swells easily now. Thanks for whoever made the correction on the Hill-Hunter thing, sometimes you have boxing on the brain so badly you tend to mix up names easily.

I couldn't see any improvements Hunter made and some people credit Berto's shoulder fail for the victory that Soto Karass took but let's be honest here; Soto Karass is one of the easiest fighters in the sport to hit and hit cleanly, he's somewhat slow and methodical and should've been easy pickings for Andre, he doesn't give angles, set traps and his defense is about as good as Brandon Rios'.

So why is it that Berto was unable to win and let alone put this easy to hit fighter away? IMHO, it is because Berto is a shot fighter....anyone he faces from this point out (even Bums) will bust him up and it won't be long before the swelling/scar tissue puffs out much in the way Gatti's skin used to do (soon as you hit him he scarred or cut and started bleeding).

Berto has made enough money to survive outside of the ring, he doesn't need boxing...he will be punchy before long because you can't keep taking beatings like that and not have some sustained damage. If he were my fighter I'd retire him for the sake of saving him from himself.
sduck
He should just retired. He's taken enough punishment and has not improved at all, in fact looks worse. He's got heart and determination to be great, but he just doesn't have the talent for this sport. With the amount of money and fame he's received so far, he should try a different career path, maybe Football or Acting.
Cshel86
Blame it on his manager and promoter, for putting him in there with tomato can after tomato can. As soon as his competition stepped up to a B-level, he started looking like crap. Sadly, all people will remember, is him looking impressive en route to KO'ing bums.

Too bad, he will HAVE TO fight above his comfort level. Seriously though, if Khan's bout with Molina, was made into this "event", then surely they can give Berto a confidence building fight. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's done, but his 3 losses have left crazy blueprints...just get him in trouble, and he'll anxiously tread water for the whole fight.
daprofessor
virgil hunter is just what the doctor ordered. he has a growing stable of guys that need to be rebuilt and they can all help each other do so. the main thing that needs to happen in my opinion is that berto needs to fly under the radar and retool. just like khan and angulo, the changes he needs to make are not going to occur during a single camp. they need to be reinforced with time and repetition. to berto's credit...he actually had the shoulder roll right this time. it was a huge improvement from what he did last time out. he just needed to alternate and give soto-karass different looks. his confidence has taken a major shot with the 3 consecutive losses...but that can change with the right opposition, time and daily effort to make the necessary changes. i think he has a lot left.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 29 2013, 02:25 PM) *
Blame it on his manager and promoter, for putting him in there with tomato can after tomato can. As soon as his competition stepped up to a B-level, he started looking like crap. Sadly, all people will remember, is him looking impressive en route to KO'ing bums.

Too bad, he will HAVE TO fight above his comfort level. Seriously though, if Khan's bout with Molina, was made into this "event", then surely they can give Berto a confidence building fight. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's done, but his 3 losses have left crazy blueprints...just get him in trouble, and he'll anxiously tread water for the whole fight.

berto has been in with some very good opposition.

i think it's a combination of his old trainer and his management for matching him tough when they should have been trying to rebuild him.

after the ortiz fight he fought and beat an undefeated zavek. he looked like shit in that bout...but he got the win. then he went on to fight guerrero. bad move imo. i knew he would lose that one. i also knew that his old trainer wasn't consistent enough with what he does to give berto the things he needed. you could see it in every fight and hear it in the corner. berto was a fighter without a style or understanding of his capabilities. he lacked identity. he will get that identity with hunter if he sticks with him. they need to lower the level of competition to rebuild him so that all the changes will have a chance to stick. that fight was a very winnable fight for him. the fight was even on the cards at the point he got stopped. there's no shame in losing to karass. he's a solid fighter who will give anyone a hard time.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (sduck @ Jul 29 2013, 01:30 PM) *
He should just retired. He's taken enough punishment and has not improved at all, in fact looks worse. He's got heart and determination to be great, but he just doesn't have the talent for this sport. With the amount of money and fame he's received so far, he should try a different career path, maybe Football or Acting.

Football really? How in the hell will he make any professional football team?
sduck
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 29 2013, 06:28 PM) *
Football really? How in the hell will he make any professional football team?

He has the physique to be one, maybe not the height. I was just throwing it out there. He needs a different career somewhere; it would be easier for him to get another career because of the fame and money that he has now.
klonopinz
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jul 28 2013, 08:08 PM) *
I'm assuming you meant Virgil Hunter. Virgil Hill is a former Light Heavyweight & Cruiserweight World Champion that was just recently inducted into the Boxing Hall Of Fame.

hahah everybody is calling him virgil hill. i think if you go back and watch the berto that fought quintana and collazo, to the berto you see now trying that bullshit imitation of floyd with his elbow out and is hands down. to see him trying to fight backing up and just getting tagged up like a fool, it makes me sick. he used to fight with a high guard and using his jab to constantly measure his opponents reach and his own distance, waiting to unleash his explosive super fast right hand. that was an effective puncher. he had such crazy ass explosiveness, and his power was nice, he also had great killer instincts, when he thought you were hurt he mauled the shit outta you. ever since that berto loss, he questioned himself and changed his style into one he isnt comfortable with. it shows in his fights. hes never had great defense, in fact his defense has always been to fight fire with fire, and it usually worked most of the time because he was so dangerois in exchanges.

i honestly dont know what the fuck to even think about him anymore, hes gotten so much worse with every passing fight. soto karass was just asking to be pot shotted the fuck up all night. berto could have made easy work of him if he had just taken his time and avoided the body shots while using some movement and smoking him with fast ass right hands. the kid still has crazy speed and pop. but he just lost his focus and his poise, hes so sloppy in their now, and its llike he doesnt think anymore, like hes just fighting with pure physicality.

and like i said before, you can put virgil hunter with a fighter, but it aint gonna fix shit, virgil hunter is a great trainer, but hes not a good match with a guy like berto or khan, these are pure offensive fighters who have offensive mindsets and are naturally aggressive, virgil hunter is the worst thing you can give these guys because it goes against the nature of the way they fight instinctively. Virgil hunter is a master tactician, and he needs to be matched up with fighters who approach a fight that way and box accordingly. virgil aint gonna turn down that paper tho, and i dont blame him, mans gotta make a living.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 29 2013, 10:14 PM) *
hahah everybody is calling him virgil hill. i think if you go back and watch the berto that fought quintana and collazo, to the berto you see now trying that bullshit imitation of floyd with his elbow out and is hands down. to see him trying to fight backing up and just getting tagged up like a fool, it makes me sick. he used to fight with a high guard and using his jab to constantly measure his opponents reach and his own distance, waiting to unleash his explosive super fast right hand. that was an effective puncher. he had such crazy ass explosiveness, and his power was nice, he also had great killer instincts, when he thought you were hurt he mauled the shit outta you. ever since that berto loss, he questioned himself and changed his style into one he isnt comfortable with. it shows in his fights. hes never had great defense, in fact his defense has always been to fight fire with fire, and it usually worked most of the time because he was so dangerois in exchanges.

i honestly dont know what the fuck to even think about him anymore, hes gotten so much worse with every passing fight. soto karass was just asking to be pot shotted the fuck up all night. berto could have made easy work of him if he had just taken his time and avoided the body shots while using some movement and smoking him with fast ass right hands. the kid still has crazy speed and pop. but he just lost his focus and his poise, hes so sloppy in their now, and its llike he doesnt think anymore, like hes just fighting with pure physicality.

and like i said before, you can put virgil hunter with a fighter, but it aint gonna fix shit, virgil hunter is a great trainer, but hes not a good match with a guy like berto or khan, these are pure offensive fighters who have offensive mindsets and are naturally aggressive, virgil hunter is the worst thing you can give these guys because it goes against the nature of the way they fight instinctively. Virgil hunter is a master tactician, and he needs to be matched up with fighters who approach a fight that way and box accordingly. virgil aint gonna turn down that paper tho, and i dont blame him, mans gotta make a living.

+1

Like I said, someone earlier mentioned it was a mistake for GBP to feed Berto to a Brawler like Soto but what you stated is why I beg to differ and felt that they gave him an easy fight with someone who is easy to hit but for whatever reason Berto could not adjust neither did Hunter give him any good corner advice to do so (no recommendations to stick and move/or potshot).

I'm not impressed with Hunter at all in this fight as a Trainer, not tooting my own horn but I could've given far better advice and if he (Virgil) is claimed (by Berto) have given him so many "new" tools then why didn't he use them and where were these "new" tools??? In the drawer, on the shelf?

I think some of these Trainers today are so overrated, they either talk way too much (giving their fighters far too many instructions/confusing him) or they usually don't say the right technical commentary to warrant or show how to make adjustments that need to happen to get their fighter the victory he needs.

I'm just not impressed with many of these so called "Trainers" today, that should've been one of the easiest fights of Andre's career but look how he fought, even worse than he did vs Guerrero.
HyyerBlaze
He is too bulky imo...should be a 140lb fighter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.