Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deontay Wilder and The Right Hand from Hell
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MaxPayne
Jesus.

That dude can punch.

I know them stilt legs ain't shit and he thin den a muthaphucka, but he can GOT DAMN punch.

Moar Wilder fights please.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Aug 10 2013, 01:15 AM) *
Jesus.

That dude can punch.

I know them stilt legs ain't shit and he thin den a muthaphucka, but he can GOT DAMN punch.

Moar Wilder fights please.

Yup and he was more composed this time. His jab is pretty ill too.
checkleft
I thought he killed him.. wow.

Was this even a fair match up? I have no idea who his opponent is
mitukczuk
Man o MAN ! I wasn't expecting the fight ending in the 1st. What a bomb !
MaxPayne
Boxrec Top 25 Heavyweight Boxers

That's a list of Boxrec's top Heavyweights. There are a few fighters in particular who I'd like to see Deontay get in with.

Honestly, a fight against either Seth Mitchell or Chris Arreola doesn't interest me, because I think he would put either of those guys in a coma.

Brian Banks

Solid veteran boxer who understands technical concepts like distance, timing and balance. This is a guy who would work to try and take away Wilder's assets, which are power punches from range.

Tomasz Adamek

Just a very good all-round boxer. Great stamina, solid fundamentals and a good chin. Would be a real test. Little chance of this happening though, as Adamek is looking for money fights and probably would be wary of a big punching youngster.

Robert Helenius

Big guy with a monstrous chin and the type of fighter who can hold, hug and frustrate someone who is trying to work from range. Deontay would have to really work on the inside in this fight. Difficult fight to make because Helenius likely won't leave Europe.

Bryant Jennings

Ahh, the battle of the young American heavyweights. Jennings is seen as a guy with much better fundamentals than Wilder and a very solid defense. Intriguing fight, but one which handlers may want to hold off on.

Tony Thompson

Tony the Tiger is just one of those veteran guys who seems to have more left in the tank than we thought. He's probably looking for one last multi-million dollar payout for a beating at the hands of either Klitschko so I doubt the Wilder fight happens.

Steve Cunningham

Ahh, this one hurts. Steve is a really skilled guy who knows how to use that jab and has a very good defense. I'm personally a pretty big fan of the guy, so I would rather that he doesn't take a beating from Wilder.

Of these fights, it's difficult to say which ones are truly make-able. A lot depends upon Al Haymon and his ability to sell a deal to rival promotions or even his own fighters in some cases. We'll have to see.
BrutUalBK
There are still too many questions left unanswered about Wilder, does he have a chin, stamina, what will he do when he has to face someone with skills who can capitalize on his mistakes/will he be able to adjust? There's no questions however about his power, no one should fault him for doing what he was supposed to do to Sergei, I'm hoping we can see him against the likes of a Arreola type (someone who won't shy away from his power) and someone who can push him backwards.

The jury is still out on him, against the list that MaxPayne posted would be some questions answered on Wilder....of course everyone wants to see him and Jennings go at it and people are still writing everyone else off in the division because these two (Wilder and Jennings) seemingly are the only fighters who matter but we will see eventually all of those unanswered questions answered as Deontay moves up and takes on more noteworthy competition.
The Original MrFactor
Wilder is his name. Wilder is his game. He's still a very unproven talent. He's gonna have to step up his competition in order to make me a believer. I like the right hand, but what else has he got?? Frankly, I'm starting to think he may not be as good as some are advertising. There's a man named Amir Mansour, who'd take a Deontay Wilder fight yesterday. Mansour would instantly be 10x better than the best guy that Wilder has faced. It would lend some credibility to Wilder's game.

There is a video of Lennox Lewis and Wilder surfacing around the internet. Lewis is showing Wilder how to jab. When i saw that, I asked who the hell trains Wilder? It seemed like that was the very 1st time someone showed this kid a freaking jab. Thats a shame.
MaxPayne
I like Amir Mansour a lot. I left his name off of the list because I'd like Amir to work his own path towards decent money fights. Facing a guy like Wilder will be a one-time payment for him of sub $100K, and if he takes a loss, he'll be back to the Friday Night Fights side of the paycheck game.

I want to see the guy get paid, so I'd rather that he keeps winning and also gets a crack at some of the names on the list above.
Gambit808
The Winner of Arreola-Mitchell will be Wilder's recognition to the world. With all exception to maybe Jennings, I believe Wilder goes through every man on MaxPayne's list. A good test (at this point) would be the winner of Haye-Fury. Other than that, I boldly place him as a top 5 Heavyweight at this point. Though he's been greasing a lot of bums up to this point, I believe he is ready for anyone at HW, with the exception of the Klitchko's up until a year from now.
Cshel86
I'm just glad they didn't let his country ass talk after the fight.

laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 10 2013, 04:56 PM) *

laugh.gif

Alabama trumps Georgia all day, every day!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Aug 10 2013, 04:59 PM) *
Alabama trumps Georgia all day, every day!

Awww hell naw!!! Geargia all day and nite...
Col Reb
The bigger question to me is if he can keep himself out of trouble. I know he may face time for a recent issue; I just hop he's not this generation's Ike Ibeabuchi.
Dolimite
Alabama especially where wilder is from, you can't understand shit that they are saying. Now if you go out into the boondocks in GA you are bound to come across some language you never heard of. Now Mississippi, puts both to shame.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 10 2013, 06:25 PM) *
Alabama especially where wilder is from, you can't understand shit that they are saying. Now if you go out into the boondocks in GA you are bound to come across some language you never heard of. Now Mississippi, puts both to shame.

First off don't ever speak negative on da sip when you cali dudes talk like yall straight out of a menace to society movie
mrchitown
I'm reluctant to dub any American the next big American HW but Wilder is certainly in the upper echelon, there are so many rising prospects that the division may have come to life. Who'd a thought that the Klitschko's would still be fighting and the division would start to heat up
Cheesey1
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 10 2013, 06:05 PM) *
Awww hell naw!!! Geargia all day and nite...

"GeArgia" Hahah! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! (if the 'a' in Geargia was just a typo by you then it was unintentionally spot on).
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 10 2013, 07:36 PM) *
First off don't ever speak negative on da sip when you cali dudes talk like yall straight out of a menace to society movie

Hah! Funny stuff.
truth
Wilder is still questionable i like his power but he gets wild with his punches when he feels he has his opponent in trouble id like to see him with a veteran trainer this may seem crazy but like a mayweather sr. Someone who can teach defense as well as offense so when hes taken into deep water he knows what to do
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (truth @ Aug 10 2013, 08:40 PM) *
Wilder is still questionable i like his power but he gets wild with his punches when he feels he has his opponent in trouble id like to see him with a veteran trainer this may seem crazy but like a mayweather sr. Someone who can teach defense as well as offense so when hes taken into deep water he knows what to do

I think he does have a veteran Trainer in Breland, Mark has been around the boxing game for a long time and is an Olympic Gold Medalist so I don't think another trainer will be able to teach Wilder anymore than what Breland is at this point of Deontay's development. I'm certain that Breland is working on fixing all of the issues that he see that is wrong in Wilder's game, he has been putting him in with very experienced sparring partners, he has sparred with both Klits as well as Jameel McCline so the kid is bound to pick up a few things and I'm certain that they're helping him to work on his flaws with tips from his sparring partners as well.

McCline paid a huge compliment to Wilder saying nobody has ever hit him harder.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 10 2013, 03:56 PM) *

laugh.gif

You ain't lyin' !

Deontay Wilder Fighthype Interview

He said, "My goal is to be the UNDISPUTE Heavyweight champ !"

Man, I need to find out what the hell they feedin' them cats from the country, because them muthaphuckas can beat that ass, DAMN !
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 10 2013, 04:36 PM) *

Hardly. It is called media sensation! You want to hear an average Cali dude talk: Listen to Dre or Cube. Textbook. It also depends on what area you come from. I talk like neither, if you ever heard Matt Barnes speak, that is more my style of speech. I wonder if every cat from Chi is whiny like Kayne? I guess Chi town cats enjoy getting ho's knocked up?
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 11 2013, 09:20 AM) *
Hardly. It is called media sensation! You want to hear an average Cali dude talk: Listen to Dre or Cube. Textbook. It also depends on what area you come from. I talk like neither, if you ever heard Matt Barnes speak, that is more my style of speech. I wonder if every cat from Chi is whiny like Kayne? I guess Chi town cats enjoy getting ho's knocked up?

Nah, this is my own assessment them Cali dudes be talking with a real hard tone. I don't mean in the sense of gang banging but it's like yall can't talk with out over saying a word. It's like retarded talk with a LA twist lol

Hell I'd rather talk like kanye then how yall talk. Hoes huh? And where that hoe from? Cali! That's what yall breed out there

When I was in Vegas all I heard was cali dudes talking, I could tell where they were from, they just talk hard. Everywhere got an accent, philly and Baltimore cats kinds sound similar
Jersey and NY talk the same. Indiana cats talk funny to me. But yall Cali dudes got a strong one too....cedar block Piru, MOB cuz..shit I literally can't stop laughing laugh.gif
mrchitown
Who do yall think can really test Deontay in the ring? I've been hearing some people say he and Ruiz should lace up
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 11 2013, 09:35 AM) *
Who do yall think can really test Deontay in the ring? I've been hearing some people say he and Ruiz should lace up

Adamek or Tony Thompson. David Haye even.

BoxingStill#1
Deontay is the truth. Looks technically sound and obviously his right hand is making a statement.

I like this guy
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Aug 11 2013, 03:29 PM) *
Deontay is the truth. Looks technically sound and obviously his right hand is making a statement.

I like this guy

really?? he just steps in the ring and clubs. I didnt think we saw enough of him to see any technical aspects of his game.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 11 2013, 01:28 PM) *

I believe Bryant Jennings is fighting Tomasz next. I think Jennings is going to win that one, now him and Haye or him in against Chisora would be nice
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 10 2013, 03:56 PM) *

laugh.gif

Alabama stand up
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 10 2013, 03:24 AM) *
I thought he killed him.. wow.

Was this even a fair match up? I have no idea who his opponent is

liakhovich was good back in the early 2000's. he fought and lost to shannon briggs for a title in '07. if i'm not mistaken he's lost four of his last six including being stopped by jennings and helenius. he wasn't a real threat.
wolterb
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 11 2013, 02:28 PM) *

that'd be quite the leap in competition. you want Wilder to look like Price? lol
Dolimite
QUOTE (wolterb @ Aug 12 2013, 10:09 AM) *
that'd be quite the leap in competition. you want Wilder to look like Price? lol

If you ain't going to shit get off the pot. It is time for him to shit, so let's go/
mgrover
I'd say Adamek but no way does Adamek go near him. Hes very protected at the moment.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 12 2013, 04:22 PM) *
I'd say Adamek but no way does Adamek go near him. Hes very protected at the moment.

True that

And adamek always takes a lot of punishment
daprofessor
i can't see DW losing to adamek, arreolla, mitchell or jennings. as a matter of fact, i would favor him by ko over all of them.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 12 2013, 08:28 PM) *
i can't see DW losing to adamek, arreolla, mitchell or jennings. as a matter of fact, i would favor him by ko over all of them.

I would too, but ONLY because of the combo of size and power. No heavy duty skill's needed to beat those guys. He can just club, club, club with the right until they fall. Wlad will be his real test. A big skilled guy may give Wilder a problem. Hell Tony Thompson may provide us some insight as to how good Wilder is. I'm still not convinced.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 11 2013, 05:40 PM) *
really?? he just steps in the ring and clubs. I didnt think we saw enough of him to see any technical aspects of his game.

I didn't call the guy a technical wizard...lol

Good jab, hard right hand. A bit flat footed but how does this make him different from a klitchko?

Not to mention he seems more athletic than most hw I've seen as of late. This man has a real chance in the division.

A revival? Ha doubt it. Just interested in watching him more
daprofessor
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 12 2013, 09:17 PM) *
I would too, but ONLY because of the combo of size and power. No heavy duty skill's needed to beat those guys. He can just club, club, club with the right until they fall. Wlad will be his real test. A big skilled guy may give Wilder a problem. Hell Tony Thompson may provide us some insight as to how good Wilder is. I'm still not convinced.

actually...i'm thinking he can do the same to the klits and thompson. he's got decent feet....fast ass hands....it's going to take some really good defensive to get away from that right hand. i don't see that in the heavyweight division.
wolterb
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Aug 12 2013, 01:43 PM) *
If you ain't going to shit get off the pot. It is time for him to shit, so let's go/

Fair enough. I was being too hard on him anyway. I read Wilder has worked with David Haye in sparring - food for thought.
scdrking2
Some of his knockout punches dont even seem that hard. Is it the deceptive nature of height, reach, leverage and hand speed?
MaxPayne
I want to point out one thing.

The fact that Deontay Wilder won an Olympic Bronze medal is actually somewhat telling. Let's examine how the fights went down:

Defeated Abdelaziz Toulbini (Algeria) 10:4
Defeated Mohamed Arjaoui (Morocco) 10+:10 (tiebreaker criteria)
Lost to Clemente Russo 7:1

He didn't knock anyone out, which means that he won on points obviously. Scoring points in the Olympic / Amateur arena involves a few things, which requires accurate punching.

What we've learned then, is that Deontay Wilder is that 5 years ago, he had enough punching accuracy and timing to beat guys at the Olympic level and to secure a Bronze Medal.

Many times, we look at prospects that are coming up and wrecking people and we look for reasons to criticize them. In many cases, that criticism is warranted and in others, it may not be so accurate.

Take a case like Brandon Rios. This is a guy who for a long time had an undefeated record. Yet his fighting strategy / skill-set was basically, "I'm going to put my head against yours and keep swinging until you fall down".

That whole, come forward / brawling style has clear deficiencies. It's also not the case with Deontay Wilder.

Wilder is landing punches from distance that are both powerful and accurate. We sit here thinking he has only one punch, but landing that right hand takes a precision that you can't ignore.

Mind you, I think Wilder has a long way to go. Yet the idea that he ISN'T the best young American Heavyweight fighter right now is absurd.

Many people point to Andy Ruiz being that guy, but I'm sorry. If you have bitch tits and love handles to the point where you're on the Chris Arreola side of the game, then I'll have to pass unfortunately.

Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Aug 17 2013, 01:00 AM) *
I want to point out one thing.

The fact that Deontay Wilder won an Olympic Bronze medal is actually somewhat telling. Let's examine how the fights went down:

Defeated Abdelaziz Toulbini (Algeria) 10:4
Defeated Mohamed Arjaoui (Morocco) 10+:10 (tiebreaker criteria)
Lost to Clemente Russo 7:1

He didn't knock anyone out, which means that he won on points obviously. Scoring points in the Olympic / Amateur arena involves a few things, which requires accurate punching.

What we've learned then, is that Deontay Wilder is that 5 years ago, he had enough punching accuracy and timing to beat guys at the Olympic level and to secure a Bronze Medal.

Many times, we look at prospects that are coming up and wrecking people and we look for reasons to criticize them. In many cases, that criticism is warranted and in others, it may not be so accurate.

Take a case like Brandon Rios. This is a guy who for a long time had an undefeated record. Yet his fighting strategy / skill-set was basically, "I'm going to put my head against yours and keep swinging until you fall down".

That whole, come forward / brawling style has clear deficiencies. It's also not the case with Deontay Wilder.

Wilder is landing punches from distance that are both powerful and accurate. We sit here thinking he has only one punch, but landing that right hand takes a precision that you can't ignore.

Mind you, I think Wilder has a long way to go. Yet the idea that he ISN'T the best young American Heavyweight fighter right now is absurd.

Many people point to Andy Ruiz being that guy, but I'm sorry. If you have bitch tits and love handles to the point where you're on the Chris Arreola side of the game, then I'll have to pass unfortunately.

I never looked at it that way, and truthfully, I tend to forget that he won a medal...though they bring it up damn near every time he steps in the ring. I guess he gets guys outta there so damn quick, that there's not enough time to hear any of his boxing history, lol.

I dont mind his fighting style at all, and why am I even mentioning this? no2.gif Sorry, Im a bit off today. The big gripe is the world saying that he hasn't fought anybody. There ya go Cshel,, get your shit together. Lol

While they're looking for a formidable opponent for him, they need to go ahead and work on that speech of his. It's been a while since we had a decent American HW...no need to have one that goes life and death with his native tongue. Lol
Franchize
I think the dude has a ton of potential. I hope he gets the proper technical tutelage and doesn't become a 1 trick, KO artist. He has all the physical tools. He seems to care about defense so far (although he has very little time in the ring). I like his jab and obviously his power. However, I don't like how he reacts to the jab. He tends to take jabs to the chest and lower chin too much and back straight out instead of using angles.
daprofessor
he's being trained by mark breland. mark breland is one of the most accomplished amateur boxers the u.s. has ever produced. i think he's in good hands. you make a very valid point max...the thing is...he's not had to go rounds in a very long time. i'm sure he's getting his work in the gym...but i'd like to see how he reacts when someone takes away that big right hand and forces him to use his other tools.
Franchize
I saw a clip of him getting some tips from Lennox Lewis in a parking lot on Youtube. I thought it was some good advice. Granted they were in some suits and hard bottoms but, basically, Lennox was showing him how to snap the jab and not load up on it like it's a power punch. He was showing him how to make it effective, quick and shorten the distance/length rather than try to inflict damage with it. I don't think he should hold his hand AS far out because it leaves him open to the hook but I liek the idea.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 21 2013, 07:52 AM) *
I saw a clip of him getting some tips from Lennox Lewis in a parking lot on Youtube. I thought it was some good advice. Granted they were in some suits and hard bottoms but, basically, Lennox was showing him how to snap the jab and not load up on it like it's a power punch. He was showing him how to make it effective, quick and shorten the distance/length rather than try to inflict damage with it. I don't think he should hold his hand AS far out because it leaves him open to the hook but I liek the idea.

the big difference between both of their jabs...beside the very obvious starting positions...is that lennox is sitting on his jab and pushing off the back foot... whereas dw is falling forward with his and ending up with all his weight on his front foot making it very easy to be countered or hit.

great find with the video!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.