Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@9:45(ET)/6:45(PT) Geale- Barker-Tripleheader-SPOILERS
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Follow all the action and post-fight reactions to tonight's HBO boxing card in this thread. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
Cshel86
Excited about this card, but I'll have to catch it later.

I think Geale's work rate will give Barker problems, as we all know the low work rate of Barker.

The Cleverly fight apparently took place earlier, so I guess the results are already in on that. I remember seeing this Romero dude on ShoBox a while ago...he was rockin' that Jada Pinkett hairstyle from Jason's Lyric. laugh.gif
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:25 PM) *

I think Geale's work rate will give Barker problems, as we all know the low work rate of Barker.

The Cleverly fight apparently took place earlier, so I guess the results are already in on that. I remember seeing this Romero dude on ShoBox a while ago...he was rockin' that Jada Pinkett hairstyle from Jason's Lyric. laugh.gif

Cleverly got TKO'd from what I herd. I missed it. thumbsdown_anim.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:25 PM) *

Yup, Romero got a hair cut before the fight and a chin check during it. Rigondeaux will smoke Kiko Martinez if they make that match.
Cheesey1
Barker vs. Geale isn't bad at all.
Cheesey1
Very competitive and some decent boxing too.
checkleft
I heard this was a great fight, I totally missed it sad.gif
The Original MrFactor
Pretty damsn good main event. I think Barker really showed his durability. He went down and i wasnt sure he was getting up. He got up and continued to do one level better than Geale. Kovalev is a real clubber. Face first kinda clubber. A boxer who can earn his respect will beat him. Ward/Kovalev would be interesting. Hopkins will not fight this guy. Stevenson will likely get him first and get smashed. Hopkins retires before fighting this guy.
Jack 1000
Excellent fight! See it!

Jack
Gambit808
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 18 2013, 08:43 AM) *
Excellent fight! See it!

Jack

Seems as though that's been the case for HBO this year. It's like they don't have the all around recognition to match Showtime fighters at the moment, but in terms of quality of fights they've been producing, it's been just as entertaining IMO. Really electrifying.
Cshel86
FINALLY got to see the fights this morning...I was on an all-day Disney-type pass with my girlfriend yesterday. Had I mentioned that there was a fight on the 17th (which I totally didn't know about), then I would've been okay.

First off, we could look at this card like this...the favored fighters (Cleverly, Romero, and Barker) either had a bad game plan, they refused to follow it, or they beat themselves. I truly believe that Cleverly beat himself yesterday...round one was full of Cleverly coming forward, taking punches, and trying to weather a storm that he could've very well avoided.

As for Romero...wtf was up with his game plan...or his refusal to follow it? They fighting against the ropes mess, dug him an early grave. He didn't have to take HALF the punches that he took. Martinez looked JUST like Matthysse (in the face) and had a Hatton-type approach to the fight (minus the weird foot work).

Barker...Barker, Barker, Barker...dude looks like a mix of Robin Thicke and Joe Calzaghe. I must say that he fought the best fight that I've ever seen him fight. He may not have looked his best with the mistakes that he made, but that sure beats the hell outta the way he fought Sergio...which was nothing but a low punch output, and a seemingly disinterested approach to the fight.

He left himself open for shots when he leaned forward, and when he dived in to land those silly lead uppercuts that he rarely landed. I mean c'mon dude, that was a super risky punch...for anybody to throw. Geale didn't work as much as I thought he would, and he could only blame the loss on himself, because he started slow early, and got real passive after the 7th round.

Barker gave it his all, and didn't just let the fight go bad after that body shot. Oh yeah...who in the fuck had that 114-113 card in favor of Geale??? Really man?! Barker outworked Geale...plain and simple. This was a great card...and I had no complaints about it.
Jack 1000
I thought Barker by 2-4 points was fair. At the rate they were going at each other, I could see "Close to clear" for Barker. So many of the rounds were back and forth. Also because Geale did score that knockdown, the 10-8 round might have made it closer on some cards than others.

Most gave the 12th round to Geale. However, Fightnews says two of the judges actually gave Barker the 12th round!

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/geale-bark...th-round-219665

Jack

mrchitown
I knew Kovalev would win. I was never sold in Cleverly, that fight could've been stopped at the end of the third. But what vi did believe is that Cleverly would take Kovalev a bit deeper into the fight...it seemed as if Rhomero best himself, when he fought at a distance then fight was his

My problem with him is he kept going to the ropes and once that happened Martinez was ripping him with some good punches. The body work he did was tremendous and that's something that a lot if fighters aren't doing these days. Rhomero also was allowing him to come in, he could've boxed his way to a boring decision but instead he made big mistakes

Geale got some serious skills. I really like him but I'm happy that a Barker won, that was a tough fight and I'm interested to see where he goes from here
Cshel86
Is it me, or did HBO have it wrong ALL NIGHT? You could tell exactly who they were pulling for. no2.gif

In the Cleverly fight, they we sooooo high on him, saying and hoping that he'd outsmart Kovalev and counter him...didn't shit happen. When they realized that he was in trouble, they then started giving Kovalev his credit, as if they were in his favor the whole time.

In the Romero/Martinez fight, they pulled the same stunt, but not as much as they did earlier. They were somewhat banking on a Romero/Rigondeaux fight. Speaking of Rigondeaux, did anybody find it funny how they used Rigo's name to build up Romero and make it seem as if it was going to be a must see fight, had Romero gotten past Martinez?

In the Barker/Geale fight, they totally didn't Geale any credit early on, and even when he had Barker in trouble on several occasions, they were still pro-Barker, especially when Barker came back after the body shot knockdown. I must admit, I was happy for his efforts after being floored, but let's be real, he didn't do THAT much to clamor over. I guess the effort said a lot.

I usually side with Roy during commentary, but he was off most of the night. I still like Kellerman and what he provides. He seems to either know the right things to say when the tides of the fight turn, or he knows when to shut up when things are looking shaky in there.

As for Lampley, let's be real, he barely even knew who the fighters were. He was pulling for Martinez SO HARD because of his association with Sarmiento, Sergio, Lewkowicz. He NEVER seems to miss the opportunity to kiss Sergio's ass. Speaking of Sergio...though Lampley was kissing his ass during casual conversation, did it seem like HBO was starting to write Sergio off? They were insinuating that he's not what he once was, and he's not a top MW anymore. Weird...
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 20 2013, 09:14 AM) *
Is it me, or did HBO have it wrong ALL NIGHT? You could tell exactly who they were pulling for. no2.gif

In the Cleverly fight, they we sooooo high on him, saying and hoping that he'd outsmart Kovalev and counter him...didn't shit happen. When they realized that he was in trouble, they then started giving Kovalev his credit, as if they were in his favor the whole time.

In the Romero/Martinez fight, they pulled the same stunt, but not as much as they did earlier. They were somewhat banking on a Romero/Rigondeaux fight. Speaking of Rigondeaux, did anybody find it funny how they used Rigo's name to build up Romero and make it seem as if it was going to be a must see fight, had Romero gotten past Martinez?

In the Barker/Geale fight, they totally didn't Geale any credit early on, and even when he had Barker in trouble on several occasions, they were still pro-Barker, especially when Barker came back after the body shot knockdown. I must admit, I was happy for his efforts after being floored, but let's be real, he didn't do THAT much to clamor over. I guess the effort said a lot.

I usually side with Roy during commentary, but he was off most of the night. I still like Kellerman and what he provides. He seems to either know the right things to say when the tides of the fight turn, or he knows when to shut up when things are looking shaky in there.

As for Lampley, let's be real, he barely even knew who the fighters were. He was pulling for Martinez SO HARD because of his association with Sarmiento, Sergio, Lewkowicz. He NEVER seems to miss the opportunity to kiss Sergio's ass. Speaking of Sergio...though Lampley was kissing his ass during casual conversation, did it seem like HBO was starting to write Sergio off? They were insinuating that he's not what he once was, and he's not a top MW anymore. Weird...

at least they are mentioning rigo! And listing possible opponents! Haha I'm glad they are interested in light heavy too

Agbeko has also been calling rigo out, the short list is growing lol

Am I the only one that thinks barker vs quillin would be interesting?
daprofessor

i only saw the kovalev/cleverly fight...and i thought roy said it best early in the fight....cleverly fought a dumb fight.

missed the other fights. i'll check them out and get back.
daprofessor

i only saw the kovalev/cleverly fight...and i thought roy said it best early in the fight....cleverly fought a dumb fight.

missed the other fights. i'll check them out and get back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.