Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of RJJr...Crowd Pleaser or not?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mitukczuk
Seeing RJJ mentioned in the "physically gifted" thread Ive started wondering - while searching for RJJ vs Trinidad fight at the same time.

Can you think of a fighter who did things in the ring purely for the crowd? I don't mean being crowd pleasing in terms of fighting (Pacquiao for instance) but in terms of pure entertainment. To me, Roy always seemed to me as if he was trying to please the crowd first. And he paid for it - he was clowning around in the Lebedev fight etc. Although he himself must have noticed he aint what he used to be, he still tried to get the crowd cheering for him, which in a way is stupid as he doesn't have what it takes to back it up anymore.

Someone like Naseem or SRL comes to mind, but these guys were showmen but i think they were rather showcasing their ego. RJJ is the same, but I feel his story is a bit different.

So, is there any fighter in your mind who you are watching and you are like "Man, this guy is fun to watch"...? I know 99% of them fights for money...
daprofessor
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Sep 11 2013, 02:37 PM) *
Seeing RJJ mentioned in the "physically gifted" thread Ive started wondering - while searching for RJJ vs Trinidad fight at the same time.

Can you think of a fighter who did things in the ring purely for the crowd? I don't mean being crowd pleasing in terms of fighting (Pacquiao for instance) but in terms of pure entertainment. To me, Roy always seemed to me as if he was trying to please the crowd first. And he paid for it - he was clowning around in the Lebedev fight etc. Although he himself must have noticed he aint what he used to be, he still tried to get the crowd cheering for him, which in a way is stupid as he doesn't have what it takes to back it up anymore.

Someone like Naseem or SRL comes to mind, but these guys were showmen but i think they were rather showcasing their ego. RJJ is the same, but I feel his story is a bit different.

So, is there any fighter in your mind who you are watching and you are like "Man, this guy is fun to watch"...? I know 99% of them fights for money...

ali, roberto duran, marvin hagler, hearns, benitez, whitaker, holyfield, tyson, dlh, trinidad, chavez, finito lopez, gomez, sanchez, arguello, pryor, camacho, paez....
checkleft
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Sep 11 2013, 03:37 PM) *

That is very true but not many guys have the phenomenal talent like naseem rjj to pull that off during a fight..

Broner does a good job of it but people always bitch and moan, I think its funny and entertaining. Yea the guy can be a douche but you gotta give the guy credit for bringing some showmanship into the ring. That dance move he pulled was clever and also that spin and tap behind the back he did with paulie.

Seems like there's a double standard here lol.
mrchitown
Broner
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 11 2013, 05:38 PM) *
ali, roberto duran, marvin hagler, hearns, benitez, whitaker, holyfield, tyson, dlh, trinidad, chavez, finito lopez, gomez, sanchez, arguello, pryor, camacho, paez....

Good list
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 11 2013, 06:38 PM) *

I thought he meant in terms of showboating
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 11 2013, 06:59 PM) *
I thought he meant in terms of showboating

i thought he meant fighters who moved the crowd.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 11 2013, 08:17 PM) *
i thought he meant fighters who moved the crowd.

Oh.. well I'm glad you mentioned camacho, I forgot to mention mayorga.
Kratza
Naseen Hamed was a crowd pleaser in both ways & so was RJJ imo, Floyd can be pretty boastful but mainly in his earlier fights
Franchize
Mayorga! Can't get a bigger show off than that. He literally let people hit him for the sake of trying to be a bad ass.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 12 2013, 12:43 PM) *
Mayorga! Can't get a bigger show off than that. He literally let people hit him for the sake of trying to be a bad ass.

he wasn't really taking those shots.
mgrover
Why where his PPV numbers so small then?
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 12 2013, 04:01 PM) *
Why where his PPV numbers so small then?

Jones never did good ppv numbers either..
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 12 2013, 09:27 PM) *
Jones never did good ppv numbers either..

No I mean Jones, why was his PPV numbers so small? Maybe its because PPVs werent that big, but DLH and what not were cleaning up
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 12 2013, 04:56 PM) *
No I mean Jones, why was his PPV numbers so small? Maybe its because PPVs werent that big, but DLH and what not were cleaning up

Mexican/chicano fans vs rjj fans lol.. I'd say dlh had him beat

Plus dlh had that mayweather type of fame, a lot of Mexicans just watched him to see him lose because he beat chavez like he owed him money. Plus he fought bigger names than Roy who didn't really have marketable guys in his division (Trinidad, Mosley, vargas, mayorga).

Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 12 2013, 01:44 PM) *
he wasn't really taking those shots.

Oh I know lol Especially against Trini....but to the laymans...he was the ultimate bad ass lmao. I remember my cousin watching him for the first time super hyped. I was like...you know he's going to eventually get his ass whooped right?
checkleft
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 14 2013, 10:22 AM) *
Oh I know lol Especially against Trini....but to the laymans...he was the ultimate bad ass lmao. I remember my cousin watching him for the first time super hyped. I was like...you know he's going to eventually get his ass whooped right?

Did he spark up a cigarette in the corner once?? Lmao that's showmanship
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.