Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canelo vs Trout
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jhill47
Am I the only person who thinks that fight was pretty close? People are talking as if Canelo walked all over Trout and I really feel they are putting too much emphasis on his performance. I have no problem with him getting the win b/c i believe he did win the fight but IMO the KD was difference. Trout is no Mayweather when it comes to speed and defense. I think Canelo is great fighter but I'm wondering if the Trout fight is a good measuring stick to see how he fairs against Mayweather. Let's not forget that this fight was in Texas and they where doing open scoring which I think ultimately caused Trout to alter his game plan and fight in a way that he is not accustom to. Anyway I want to know what you guys think.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Sep 12 2013, 10:08 AM) *
Am I the only person who thinks that fight was pretty close? People are talking as if Canelo walked all over Trout and I really feel they are putting too much emphasis on his performance. I have no problem with him getting the win b/c i believe he did win the fight but IMO the KD was difference. Trout is no Mayweather when it comes to speed and defense. I think Canelo is great fighter but I'm wondering if the Trout fight is a good measuring stick to see how he fairs against Mayweather. Let's not forget that this fight was in Texas and they where doing open scoring which I think ultimately caused Trout to alter his game plan and fight in a way that he is not accustom to. Anyway I want to know what you guys think.

Blame it on Trout, he was the one that went out there and fought like a sucker. As a result, we all have to hear about how elite Canelo is.

laugh.gif
Hotsauce
lets be real trout wasn't going to win a decision against canelo.

not when you have a future floyd vs canelo fight looming.
wolterb
^exactly. plus i think the fight was decided once alvarez scored the knockdown.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 12 2013, 06:24 AM) *
Blame it on Trout, he was the one that went out there and fought like a sucker. As a result, we all have to hear about how elite Canelo is.

laugh.gif

Sadly he still won that fight. I had him winning by 1 or two points. But oh well. When you fight not to lose, you lose.

QUOTE (wolterb @ Sep 12 2013, 07:22 AM) *
^exactly. plus i think the fight was decided once alvarez scored the knockdown.

Um, Alvarez lost that round. How ironic.
daprofessor
i thought trout won the fight..but lost the decision. there was a reason they had that fight in texas.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 12 2013, 12:37 PM) *
Sadly he still won that fight. I had him winning by 1 or two points. But oh well. When you fight not to lose, you lose.

Um, Alvarez lost that round. How ironic.

There's a distinct difference in convincingly winning, and controversially losing. Yeah I know, that hardly made a lick of sense. Thing is, had Trout fought harder (as if he truly wanted to win), then it wouldn't been so hard to give him rounds. Instead, he controversially lost...which means he may have done enough in OUR eyes, but in the eyes of those that it truly mattered, he didn't do enough.

Whether Canelo lost round 6 after he scored the knockdown or not, the knockdown spelled, "dominance" in the eyes of those who wanted him to win. Besides, had the knockdown not occurred, there's no guarantee that Trout would've scored a knockdown anyway, just judging by the way he was fighting.

With that in mind, the rounds woud've still been close, and the guy (read: the more marketable fighter) would've gotten the nod anyway. These reasons alone, make me hate Trout for fighting as hesitant as he did, it's almost like he didn't wanna be there.
DigitalBoom
While yes the scores were ridiculous they would've made no difference. Can anyone here honestly say that Trout won that fight in any fashion outright? If so please explain. I was pulling for Trout that fight and I frankly didn't believe Alvarez had anything for Trout...boy was I wrong. I'm man enough to take my bet loss and say the kid shocked me with some of his movement. I'm sorry but in no way shape or form was Trout closer than 2 points shy of winning this fight. While many can argue he outlanded in some rounds...it's time to stop looking at pit pat punches in the same degree as someone landing a hook. The hook is considerably harder to land and more often than not requires a set up to make it land. I like Trout, I respect Canelo now but Trout showed the kids power too much respect and got taken out of his game because of it...Also Trout fights horribly moving backwards or sideways..he just looked back jabbing moving back...plus he had the reach and height advantage and really never capitalized on either one. Now onto Canelo's stamina that fight...I think he dropped weight too fast, overtrained and then put 19 pounds back on to his frame...all recipes for disaster. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.
Cshel86
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Sep 12 2013, 02:07 PM) *
While yes the scores were ridiculous they would've made no difference. Can anyone here honestly say that Trout won that fight in any fashion outright? If so please explain. I was pulling for Trout that fight and I frankly didn't believe Alvarez had anything for Trout...boy was I wrong. I'm man enough to take my bet loss and say the kid shocked me with some of his movement. I'm sorry but in no way shape or form was Trout closer than 2 points shy of winning this fight. While many can argue he outlanded in some rounds...it's time to stop looking at pit pat punches in the same degree as someone landing a hook. The hook is considerably harder to land and more often than not requires a set up to make it land. I like Trout, I respect Canelo now but Trout showed the kids power too much respect and got taken out of his game because of it...Also Trout fights horribly moving backwards or sideways..he just looked back jabbing moving back...plus he had the reach and height advantage and really never capitalized on either one. Now onto Canelo's stamina that fight...I think he dropped weight too fast, overtrained and then put 19 pounds back on to his frame...all recipes for disaster. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

Good point...a rather easy point that I've before. Just because you have a height and reach advantage, it doesn't necessarily spell "advantage". If you dont know how to properly use those advantages (or use them under pressure), then what good are they?

Hence Paul Williams and his freakish frame. I can't say that Paul didn't know how to use his, he just refused to and fought like the smaller man...giving his opponent an advantage that was never on paper, leading up to the fight.
DigitalBoom
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 12 2013, 02:27 PM) *
Good point...a rather easy point that I've before. Just because you have a height and reach advantage, it doesn't necessarily spell "advantage". If you dont know how to properly use those advantages (or use them under pressure), then what good are they?

Hence Paul Williams and his freakish frame. I can't say that Paul didn't know how to use his, he just refused to and fought like the smaller man...giving his opponent an advantage that was never on paper, leading up to the fight.

I feel you on that...one thing I will say regarding that is look at their legs lol. Both have awkward chicken aneroxic legs..I think that factor comes into play for both men. Funny though you mention Paul Williams..I just had an argument about him and Floyd. It's the one fight I will never forgive Floyd for avoiding like the plague. To this day I think Floyd beats Paul but I think the Mayweather Camp wasn't so sure they could beat him.
emd01
I scored the fight 7-5 for Canelo but would never argue with anyone that had Trout winning. It was a very close fight.
truth
I had it 7-5 canelo with advantage being the knock down the fight was trouts to lose he in book had the better tools. I also feel if it was remotely close they would have gave it to him anyway. that being said the fight was very close I also feel that if the Mayweather fight is closed that they will score also: score for Canelo
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Sep 12 2013, 09:08 AM) *

I thought Trout won the fight, he landed jabs all night long that apparently weren't even counted, he had Canelo hurt and backpedalling, yes he got hurt with one shot but other than that moment what other stand out moments did Saul have in that fight??

I cannot think of one for the life of me but I saw Trout get up after the knockdown and still bring it to Canelo, he clearly outboxed him in terms of ring generalship, effective aggression and defense but because Trout was damn near in Mexico (Texico) he was against the crowd and I believe the judges were being heavily influenced by them as well.
mrchitown
Trout won the fight, Canelo landed the harder shots but Trout was more effective working off the jab...Canelo was wild in there at times. If this fight was anywhere but Texas it would've went the other way
The Original MrFactor
Trout won in my opinion by a razor thin margin. The knockdown was the difference, to me. Had he not gotten knocked down, it would have been a draw at best. I thought Canelo got favorable treatment with this one. However, he did shpow that he was a much better fighter than we all realized. Prior to the fight there were many on this very site who thought that Trout would beat Mayweather, based on his outclassing of Cotto. Canelo comes in and squeeks by with a wind aided victory over Trout and suddenly Trout was garbage.
checkleft
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 12 2013, 11:07 AM) *
lets be real trout wasn't going to win a decision against canelo.

not when you have a future floyd vs canelo fight looming.

As soon as I heard the fight was in Texas it was over. Come on guys.. Texas, do we need to watch paulie vs diaz post fight interview again?

I had trout up 3 points, wasn't complete dominance but canelo didn't so nearly enough to win the majority of the rounds. It's like these people that argue for Tim Bradley against pac.

Trout was busier more effective and consistent... Just not in Texas I guess.
Dolimite
Bottom line, like my bro Cshel has said you can't fight to lose That is what Trout did. He had what it took to beat Canelo, except the heart and the desire to win. Its bullshit!
Franchize
I had Canelo winning slightly. I think I had it where the KD was the difference. It was certainly a close fight. I feel like Trout's body language lost him the fight. He seemed dejected after he hit the canvas. I think that was more so due to the open scoring (dumb shit) than the actual punch itself.
daprofessor
i scored that fight a split decision....with canelo winning because of the knockdown and because it was in texas and because he's a red headed mexican so he had open scoring. unsure.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Sep 12 2013, 10:08 AM) *

People talking about Canelo walking all over Trout are delusional. It was close and I had Trout edging it, but whatever.

GB had better make the rematch after Canelo loses tonight. Trout knows he fucked up and will do better in Alvarez vs. Trout II.
Amandla
I think I had Canelo by 2 rounds one at the closest.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 13 2013, 01:46 AM) *
As soon as I heard the fight was in Texas it was over. Come on guys.. Texas, do we need to watch paulie vs diaz post fight interview again?

I had trout up 3 points, wasn't complete dominance but canelo didn't so nearly enough to win the majority of the rounds. It's like these people that argue for Tim Bradley against pac.

Trout was busier more effective and consistent... Just not in Texas I guess.

Me too and like you I thought Trout was the busier fighter coming forward (effective aggression), landing his jab cleaner and more often but I knew that unless he knocked Canelo down that he was not going to get a win in SA with that Mexican crowd influencing the judges open scoring system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.