Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Canelo Gonna Do Now?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Amandla
I'm thinking maybe Cotto?

Outisde of Cotto I'd say Chavez Jr but I think he's tied up with Top Rank so theres little chance there.

I'd say Sergio Martinez, he might be fit by May next year?

And Golovkin of course as its his time. Floyd tested the Canelo's chin I think its time to test it further but I can't see Oscar gambling that much.

Out of those I'd say a Martinez fight looks the smartest bet.

Who'd you think and who would you pick as Canelo's next opponent if you were his promoter?
KOpower
Cotto for sure IF it can be made. That is a PPV seller and a fight I would be really interested in.

There are guys like Angulo, Lara, Molina, etc in 154 that could get made for a Showtime card in the first half of 2014. Keith Thurman could move up and be interesting. Then you have the HBO Middleweights like GGG, JCCJR, Sergio, etc.

My guess is that he gets a Showtime fight in March against someone like Angulo. Then he looks for a PPV fight in the winter of 2014.
KOpower
Cotto-Alvarez for Cinco de Mayo weekend would be interesting. I know Mayweather wants that date, but I think Canelo-Cotto sells better than Mayweather-Garcia for that date. Canelo-Cotto would be a big event.
Gambit808
I think they'll maybe give him a couple fights to bounce back from this lost. Feed someone like Molina to him next.
Amandla
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 01:32 PM) *
I think they'll maybe give him a couple fights to bounce back from this lost. Feed someone like Molina to him next.

Thats bad form. He fought well but he needs real tough tests if theres a plan to take on Mayweather again.
Cshel86
They'll probably feed Molina to him...that's a relatively easy title bout for him. This way, he'll be the IBF champ, and a Cotto fight would make more sense, since it's for a "title".
Gambit808
QUOTE (Amandla @ Sep 15 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Thats bad form. He fought well but he needs real tough tests if theres a plan to take on Mayweather again.

The big tests will come. Remember, he's only 23 coming off his first proffesional loss at the big stage. Give him a bout or two to gain his confidence back before throwing him in there with another lion like Cotto and others. The Junior Middleweight and Middleweight division is pretty stacked so I don't think there should be a rush for him to be immediately put back in there with the top dogs until he's had a bounce back fight, especially since he's being built as a future attraction of boxing. Coming off of your first loss can be tough and I don't think a straight shot at the top guys is smart, but we'll see.
DigitalBoom
1. Immediately start shopping for a new trainer...preferrably one who will teach him to use his strengths and strengthen his weakness. Chepo and them have done all they can but don't have what it takes to take this kid to the next level. The only other fighter worse prepared than Canelo I have seen was Guerrero and look at the correlation between who trains both...I really thought the Canelo camp had hired a Brother Naz, brought in a V Hunter...guys who are very familiar with the shoulder roll and philly shell...truly atrocious preparation for this fight.

2. Invest in a god damned Chef!! Invest in a full time S&C coach....he literally showed he had nothing in the tank at the start of round 2..how are you 15 pounds heavier and being backed up? How are you with your opponent with his back against the rope and stepping backwards? SMH

3. Grow a pair. I didn't expect him to beat Floyd but I would've respect Canelo for going out on his shield. I feel he showed up to collect a check and nothing more. Real warriors rather go out on their back from exhaustion than trying to survive.

Clearly I had higher expectations of this kid..it was absolutely frustrating to see him just chump out like that..he was fighting the best fighter in the world and showed up like he was fighting Josesito Lopez again. Not taking anything from Floyd at all..he did exactly what was expected and did it masterfully but this kid literally brought a vagina with him to the ring last night.
Franchize
Canelo has every opportunity to fight any fighter out there that he had before fighting Floyd. His loss last night didn't change much at all IMO. I still think he's one of the best fighters out there and has a chance to beat anyone not named Floyd from 147-160. I'd like to see him fight Martinez. I wanted to see him fight Cotto but now I think he'd dismantle Cotto.
mrchitown
Cotto and Canelo would be another big fight but I'm thinking Canelo and Molina will be facing off so Canelo has another belt. Either one is a good fight for him though
mrchitown
QUOTE (Amandla @ Sep 15 2013, 12:47 PM) *

The loss he took was definitive, there's no need and I highly doubt a rematch will happen
checkleft
QUOTE (Amandla @ Sep 15 2013, 01:47 PM) *

Don't underestimate molina lol. You don't know how many times that comes back to bite people in the ass, shit ain't pretty but I have yet to see him dominated by anyone.
scdrking2
How does his lack of aggression last night impact him with the Mexican fan base? How does he best reconnect. They know this kid isnt tough.
Col Reb
I thought his effort was just fine. Canelo fought hard and never gave up at any point of the fight.

What I did see was lack of a plan B. He does need a new trainer to take him to another level, along with S&C coach and nutritionist. I don't think he'll hurt his status with fans because he never quit. It's not reasonable to expect a 23 year old with not much big fight experience to beat an all-time great like Floyd.

I think Molina makes sense as his next fight with Cotto coming in the fall. He needs at least one win to properly build his next PPV fight, and Mexico vs Puerto Rico is the perfect way to reconnect with Mexican fans.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Sep 15 2013, 05:28 PM) *
How does his lack of aggression last night impact him with the Mexican fan base? How does he best reconnect. They know this kid isnt tough.

Well if one were to read the article posted here about Canelo's so called "hype" then one would know that there are tons in Mexico including JLC Sr who knew that Saul was no more than a hypejob by Televisa and didn't really have the connection they say he had throughout the whole of Mexico. It should be easy to pick up from this point, he's already been to the top and lost so there's no shame in losing to Floyd every fighter does.

He should take on the winner of Cotto's next fight or fight Lara.
Plah
Cotto. I don't see Lara or Molina as easy fights. I actually think Molina can beat him
Dolimite
He can fight Omar Figueroa. Or Amir Khan. Or one of the Charlo twins.
emd01
He should fight someone in his own damn weight class. the kids still a beast and I dont see many fighters beating him in and around his weight.
bnoles4life
If there are trainers worth a grain of salt, they'll have their fighters in EXCELLENT condition when they face Canelo. While there is no shame in losing to Floyd, there is a shame (in fact, a low down dirty amount of it) for gassing PRIOR to the halfway point in the fight. Personally, the look on his face in the dressing room, just prior to the nat'l anthem, showed (me at least) he was feeling the moment a lil' bit. His effort was valiant, but IMO, his opponent is ALWAYS in a fight, as his cardio rivals a fat 14 y/o "gamer".
Marcus
Canelo needs Pedro Diaz or Nacho in his corner. He's capable of beating anyone in 154. But i think they're just as capable of beating him. Canelo is special but with Trout giving hime the fight that he did with all those disadvantages i can't see Canelo living up to the hype. I think he's a great fighter but you guys are over looking the 154 division. canelo will NOT run through 154 and 160.

Lara would make him work for his money. Angulo would make him work for his money. Molina would make him work. Martirosyan would make him work. Trout would make him work. Canelo definitely wont run through these fighters. Rosado would make Canelo work.

I can see Canelo beating Cotto simply because Cotto isnt as motivated. But ANYONE.

As far as 160 goes... come on. Canelo is not ready.. 160 is SUPER STACKED. Kid chocolate would give Canelo a run for his money and i dont even look at him as the best of that division.
daprofessor
He's a very beatable fighter and there are a lot of guys he should avoid. They will continue to feed him easy wins. I'd expect him to fight someone like Angulo next...or another oversized opponent. If the opponent is a threat, expect the fight to be in Texas where he'll get favorable treatment and scoring.
mgrover
fight a 154lb, maybe fight Rosado.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 16 2013, 05:02 AM) *
fight a 154lb, maybe fight Rosado.

Rosado is hanging in there with middleweights, he may ko canelo lol.

Franchize
Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm in the minority. I don't see what happened Saturday that hurts Canelo's stock any against anyone not named Floyd Mayweather. Did he lose convincingly? Yes. But so did Marquez. So did Shane Mosley. So did Robert Guerrero. So did Victor Whore-tiz. They all remained draws afterwards and I personally think he put up a better fight than all of those guys. Look...he got schooled by Floyd Mayweather....but what's new? There aren't many guys out there that can do what Floyd did to this guy. Not to mention, he's 23 YEARS OLD! I just don't get where this feeling of his career falling off a cliff is coming from. There isn't one fighter out there not named Floyd that he doesn't STILL deserve to fight. Furthermore, there isn't one fighter out there not named Floyd or Andre that I don't feel he has a legitimate chance at beating. I'd put my money on him beating 90% of the fighters out there.
The Original MrFactor
Cotto OR rematch Trout.
emd01
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 16 2013, 07:55 AM) *
Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm in the minority. I don't see what happened Saturday that hurts Canelo's stock any against anyone not named Floyd Mayweather. Did he lose convincingly? Yes. But so did Marquez. So did Shane Mosley. So did Robert Guerrero. So did Victor Whore-tiz. They all remained draws afterwards and I personally think he put up a better fight than all of those guys. Look...he got schooled by Floyd Mayweather....but what's new? There aren't many guys out there that can do what Floyd did to this guy. Not to mention, he's 23 YEARS OLD! I just don't get where this feeling of his career falling off a cliff is coming from. There isn't one fighter out there not named Floyd that he doesn't STILL deserve to fight. Furthermore, there isn't one fighter out there not named Floyd or Andre that I don't feel he has a legitimate chance at beating. I'd put my money on him beating 90% of the fighters out there.

The end.
checkleft
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 16 2013, 01:09 PM) *
Cotto OR rematch Trout.

Am I the only one that thinks cotto might get retired against D-rod??
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 17 2013, 03:08 AM) *
Am I the only one that thinks cotto might get retired against D-rod??

I'm with you. I think that theres a good chance that Cotto gets starched by this dude.
Amandla
QUOTE (Marcus @ Sep 15 2013, 10:06 PM) *
Canelo needs Pedro Diaz or Nacho in his corner. He's capable of beating anyone in 154. But i think they're just as capable of beating him. Canelo is special but with Trout giving hime the fight that he did with all those disadvantages i can't see Canelo living up to the hype. I think he's a great fighter but you guys are over looking the 154 division. canelo will NOT run through 154 and 160.

Lara would make him work for his money. Angulo would make him work for his money. Molina would make him work. Martirosyan would make him work. Trout would make him work. Canelo definitely wont run through these fighters. Rosado would make Canelo work.

I can see Canelo beating Cotto simply because Cotto isnt as motivated. But ANYONE.

As far as 160 goes... come on. Canelo is not ready.. 160 is SUPER STACKED. Kid chocolate would give Canelo a run for his money and i dont even look at him as the best of that division.

Nah! The Canelo I saw in the ring Saturday night would ruin Quillin. Fact is Canelo walks around at 167.

He needs to be fighting at 160 and maybe think about working himself up to 168 as he grows.

That extra weight did him no favours on Saturday. Maybe if he hadn't re-hydrated to that weight and he was tight at one of those weights rather than going in for P4P fights to build up a rep at 154.

Then we could see something. Lets see him fight Cotto.

Lets drag Margarito out of retirement and have some fun!
HyyerBlaze
Is Ortiz's jaw healed? Would still like to see that fight
Jack 1000
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Sep 15 2013, 04:05 PM) *
1. Immediately start shopping for a new trainer...preferrably one who will teach him to use his strengths and strengthen his weakness. Chepo and them have done all they can but don't have what it takes to take this kid to the next level. The only other fighter worse prepared than Canelo I have seen was Guerrero and look at the correlation between who trains both...I really thought the Canelo camp had hired a Brother Naz, brought in a V Hunter...guys who are very familiar with the shoulder roll and philly shell...truly atrocious preparation for this fight.

2. Invest in a god damned Chef!! Invest in a full time S&C coach....he literally showed he had nothing in the tank at the start of round 2..how are you 15 pounds heavier and being backed up? How are you with your opponent with his back against the rope and stepping backwards? SMH

3. Grow a pair. I didn't expect him to beat Floyd but I would've respect Canelo for going out on his shield. I feel he showed up to collect a check and nothing more. Real warriors rather go out on their back from exhaustion than trying to survive.

Clearly I had higher expectations of this kid..it was absolutely frustrating to see him just chump out like that..he was fighting the best fighter in the world and showed up like he was fighting Josesito Lopez again. Not taking anything from Floyd at all..he did exactly what was expected and did it masterfully but this kid literally brought a vagina with him to the ring last night.

Conditioning needs improvement for Canelo, no question. There is no shame in losing to Floyd. Big money makers would be a still competitive Cotto and Chavez Jr, IF Chavez looks good in his comeback. Big wins for boxing, especially in the Mexican clientele.

Jack
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Sep 15 2013, 05:36 PM) *
I thought his effort was just fine. Canelo fought hard and never gave up at any point of the fight.

What I did see was lack of a plan B. He does need a new trainer to take him to another level, along with S&C coach and nutritionist. I don't think he'll hurt his status with fans because he never quit. It's not reasonable to expect a 23 year old with not much big fight experience to beat an all-time great like Floyd.

I think Molina makes sense as his next fight with Cotto coming in the fall. He needs at least one win to properly build his next PPV fight, and Mexico vs Puerto Rico is the perfect way to reconnect with Mexican fans.

This is a good plan for him. Fight a Molina type on regular Showtime for a Title and then a PPV against a Cotto in the fall or Winter. It does appear he could use different management,training & nutritionist. If he can successfully stay at 154 I think he still has several Big fights in him left. Canelo could win fights at 160 also, but his lack of height and reach would hurt him. Could you imagine Alvarez vs Stevens at 160?
Dolimite
Saul needs a new corner, someone with experience. Nacho and Robert Garcia would be a better fit. He should take a brief break and really think of what he wants to do. I don't think he should stay at 154. He should fight maybe two more times at 154 and move up to 160 and see how he does at the division. He can not take any mediocre fighters. He now has to step his game up. He should fight Molina and K9 and see how he does against those two different types of styles. he needs to constantly work on his conditioning. He still is a money maker but he has to step his shit up.
Franchize
Some are saying Canelo needs a tune up fight. I personally don't think he did that bad against Floyd but I digress. I think he could make a major statement by beating a major name and show "everyone loses to Floyd, but I'll fuck anyone else up." That being said, maybe GB should meet in the middle. Maybe they should throw him in there with Ortiz. That was a fight that was generating some decent buzz. It will probably be an exciting fight. It's not a cake walk fight but it's also not a top tier opponent. It allows GB to build up Ortiz and create some BS triumphant comeback story. Yay or Nay?
Cshel86
A Canelo fight would put Ortiz on that nice boat, straight to Miami...where people move for retirement. That jaw still looks bad, though it's been fixed and healed...
emd01
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 3 2013, 10:11 AM) *
A Canelo fight would put Ortiz on that nice boat, straight to Miami...where people move for retirement. That jaw still looks bad, though it's been fixed and healed...

Damn straight. Ortiz better stay the hell away from Canelo. He'll have Ortiz doing his best Dancing With The Stars impression if they do fight.
Franchize
I kind of made my statement not really caring about Ortiz well being lol It was more so to see Canelo in an exciting fight that makes sense.
mrchitown
QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 3 2013, 01:57 PM) *
Damn straight. Ortiz better stay the hell away from Canelo. He'll have Ortiz doing his best Dancing With The Stars impression if they do fight.

I actually think that's a very winnable fight for Victor
emd01
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 3 2013, 02:14 PM) *

I dont. I see Canelo steam rolling Ortiz. Canelo is a much better boxer than Ortiz imo. I do think it would be a great match up with Ortiz getting stopped around the midway point.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 3 2013, 05:14 PM) *

I'm with you on this chi.
mrchitown
QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 3 2013, 10:26 PM) *
I dont. I see Canelo steam rolling Ortiz. Canelo is a much better boxer than Ortiz imo. I do think it would be a great match up with Ortiz getting stopped around the midway point.

I don't think Canelo is a better boxer then Victor, he certainly appears to be the better fighter at the moment. However I think that Victor is faster then him, has better footwork. And he hits harder the. Anyone Canelo would face up to that point. A focused and we'll trained Ortiz will give Canelo fits. He won't be that much bigger then Ortiz who rehydrates up to 165-168. If this fight were to happen it should happen in Ortiz's comeback fight but if Ortiz gained some steam and got some wins under his belt and then went into a fight with Canelo, it would be trouble. It could go either way but there's no way I see Canelo steam rolling through Ortiz. He pods and a Ortiz has some good footwork and he works the jab and then throws combos. It would be interesting
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 3 2013, 10:54 PM) *

Ortiz's footwork would come into play here. Canelo plods around the ring, if Victor can keep him moving and work off the jab and set up his own offense it would spell disaster for Canelo
Hotsauce
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 3 2013, 10:54 PM) *

He wrong though. he better be worry about derrick rose.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 3 2013, 11:18 PM) *
Ortiz's footwork would come into play here. Canelo plods around the ring, if Victor can keep him moving and work off the jab and set up his own offense it would spell disaster for Canelo

He was actually doing a good job of boxing when jaw was broken against lopez, only problem was... His jaw was already broken lol. Maybe if he had done that from the beginning his jaw would have been okay
NoCatchweights
Canelo would destroy Ortiz at this point, KO4, Victor has been such a waste for everything he has Canelo would land and Ortiz would just wait for the inevitable.
Cshel86
QUOTE (emd01 @ Oct 3 2013, 02:57 PM) *

Agreed. Victor is good when he's the aggressor, but as soon as it's reciprocated, he gets that "Oh shit, this dude is really fighting back" demeanor, and starts to think too much.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 3 2013, 06:14 PM) *

I usually agree with you, but in this case, I have my reservations. As you mentioned, Canelo does plod around the ring, but in this fight, I think he finds a way to cut the ring off, so Victor cant move as much as he'd like.

Victor's a decent boxer, but his urge to wanna hurt the guy in front of him, always seems to play into his detriment. The only footwork I see from Victor, is when he's about to hit somebody, or when he's on his bike, but I haven't seen him use good footwork in a minute.

There's too many ways to beat Ortiz, at this point, and his biggest weakness is his mental game. Canelo can easily find a way to frustrate Victor, then comes the breaking point. I didn't even think Ortiz was ready for this fight last September (before he was supposed to get past Lopez in June), it just seemed like they were rushing to throw somebody in there to make Canelo look good.

I think it will be a competitive fight, but Victor's his own worse enemy and typically sets up the alley hoop to his own defeat...then his opponent comes and dunks it. Lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Oct 4 2013, 12:53 AM) *
He wrong though. he better be worry about derrick rose.

I am laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 4 2013, 12:54 AM) *
He was actually doing a good job of boxing when jaw was broken against lopez, only problem was... His jaw was already broken lol. Maybe if he had done that from the beginning his jaw would have been okay

He was asking for it by leaving his mouth open when he punched
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 4 2013, 10:24 AM) *
I usually agree with you, but in this case, I have my reservations. As you mentioned, Canelo does plod around the ring, but in this fight, I think he finds a way to cut the ring off, so Victor cant move as much as he'd like.

Victor's a decent boxer, but his urge to wanna hurt the guy in front of him, always seems to play into his detriment. The only footwork I see from Victor, is when he's about to hit somebody, or when he's on his bike, but I haven't seen him use good footwork in a minute.

There's too many ways to beat Ortiz, at this point, and his biggest weakness is his mental game. Canelo can easily find a way to frustrate Victor, then comes the breaking point. I didn't even think Ortiz was ready for this fight last September (before he was supposed to get past Lopez in June), it just seemed like they were rushing to throw somebody in there to make Canelo look good.

I think it will be a competitive fight, but Victor's his own worse enemy and typically sets up the alley hoop to his own defeat...then his opponent comes and dunks it. Lol

It's Ortiz so I can't argue with reservations about him lol....my only thing is which Victor will show up. Is he going to go into the fight lackadaisical or is he going to be focused. If he's focused then I see a long night for Alvarez because Victor holds some key advantages over him

The foot speed is apparent just like the hand speed is. But will Ortiz use it? He does have a willingness when he sees that he is hitting his opponent to press for the knockout and if he does that against Canelo then he may very well be knocked out

At some point Ortiz should rematch Josesito, that was a barn burner. It would be messed up if Josesito beat him again lol
The Original MrFactor
Did anyone mention Erislandy Lara as a potential opponent for Canelo?

I was thinking that Mayweather could easily unify against Molina. He'd be the unified 154 champ and it could be said that he cleaned out 154. Just another HUge notch in his belt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.