Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scouting Greatness
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Not just the leader of the new school but, is there a certain potential young figure today that u foresee as being great?
mgrover
nope

edit: maybe Ward, if he gets his act together and makes a splash in the water. But everybody else doesn't seem all that special.
Gambit808
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 15 2013, 03:41 PM) *
nope

Do you think that's a bad thing for the future of boxing?
mgrover
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 08:43 PM) *
Do you think that's a bad thing for the future of boxing?

depends as what? for the boxing legacy yes, but for the boxing business, no. It mean's there's always someone capable of beating someone else. Nobody stands out, so we get nicely even matches, one would hope
Gambit808
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 15 2013, 03:58 PM) *
depends as what? for the boxing legacy yes, but for the boxing business, no. It mean's there's always someone capable of beating someone else. Nobody stands out, so we get nicely even matches, one would hope

I think it would have an effect on the buisness side as well because greatness is not often, and I think it's what keeps the sport of boxing or any sport of that matter relevant. If you take out Mayweather, Klitchko Brothers, Pacquiao and all past greats, then what do you have?
mgrover
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 09:18 PM) *
I think it would have an effect on the buisness side as well because greatness is not often, and I think it's what keeps the sport of boxing or any sport of that matter relevant. If you take out Mayweather, Klitchko Brothers, Pacquiao and all past greats, then what do you have?

obviously boxing has needed its characters to stay alive, but I think more attention would go to other fighters, maybe PPV wouldn't be a big deal, and boxers would be on TV on a regular basis.
mrchitown
Ward and Broner
Marcus
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 03:40 PM) *
Not just the leader of the new school but, is there a certain potential young figure today that u foresee as being great?

Canelo Alvarez will be great. He fights extremely well and composed for his age even though Floyd scorched him. But hey that doesnt count... its Floyd lol

If Broner MAINTAINS a proper work ethic he will be great.

The Charlo Twins will be great.

Errol Spence Jr. is pretty solid. Looking forward to seeing him grow.

Omar Figeroura wont be GREAT but he will make a LOT of noise. I like him.

I also think Devon Alexander doesnt get enough credit. People fail to realize alexander accomplished a lot young too.

Ward is the Leader of the new school of course. After Floyd Ward takes the cake.
klonopinz
ward aint taking shit. he got the wrong promoter, bad management team, weak biz sense, no personality, no charisma, no swag, nothing. all he has is pure skill, and unfortunately that isnt enough. we will never see him in the big fights because he wont ever bring big money to the table because hes lacking all those things. if he dont bring money to table, then he cant lure in anyone to fight him.

the charlo twins i dont think will end up being shit. broner either, hes gonna flop in ppv numbers, and he will also plateau very soon as far as skill, we will see the same shit from him every fight now and it will get old.

its impossible to say at this point who will stand out. i think danny and ggg. these guys will keep winning and looking fantastic.
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Sep 15 2013, 08:40 PM) *
ward aint taking shit. he got the wrong promoter, bad management team, weak biz sense, no personality, no charisma, no swag, nothing. all he has is pure skill, and unfortunately that isnt enough. we will never see him in the big fights because he wont ever bring big money to the table because hes lacking all those things. if he dont bring money to table, then he cant lure in anyone to fight him.

the charlo twins i dont think will end up being shit. broner either, hes gonna flop in ppv numbers, and he will also plateau very soon as far as skill, we will see the same shit from him every fight now and it will get old.

its impossible to say at this point who will stand out. i think danny and ggg. these guys will keep winning and looking fantastic.

It's a reason he's the consensus #2 P4P fighter on the media and most of the fans lists. Skills pay the bills. People don't want to fight him unless they have to just like Hopkins because they know more then likely they're going to take an L. And he'll be moving up to light heavy soon and he'll get a belt there. They will have to fight him

And also there's nothing wrong with his promoter, his management is shady. You mentioned Garcia and GGG, there's no way they will ever rank above Ward. Golovkin handy fought any real live bodies. What's his best win? We will see what he does when he faced a Chavez Jr, or a Maravilla. And hopefully down the line... Andre Ward
mrchitown
I think a lot of those Olympic cats like Errol are going to do great things. It's a young kid named Jesse Hart who barely missed making the Olympic team. He's going to be very good. He fights under TR. Gaushea, Browne, they all have the potential to be special. It's a few others I can't think of right now

I'm on the fence about the Charlo twins even though I like them a lot. Rigo could be but he's no spring chicken and Arum isn't doing right by him. Mares I'm on the fence too. Santana Cruz has a shot at being something very special also
daprofessor
there are soooo many things that have to fall in place to make greatness happen. boxing skills are just a part of it. you must have a great team(promotion/management/trainer) in place that are all on the same page. you also need to have the opposition in front of you to take those shots at greatness.

the most obvious person lined up for greatness at this point, imo, is guillermo rigondeaux. he has the credentials, talent and the desire. he has the opposition in front of him. the only problem is that his management and promotion are not on the same page.

andre ward has all the ingredients...but the opposition doesn't seem to be there and his team is not on the same page.

crawford looks to have the goods....opposition is there...can't speak on the rest of his situation though.

broner would also appear to have some of the ingredients necessary. the opposition is definitely in front of him. his team is on point. he may be his own worst enemy with his out of the ring antics. (get your mom out the hood broner!!! smh)

ggg has the skills...the opposition is there....not sure about his team though. he should have had some big fights already.

lomanchenko appears to be another guy...he's signed with toprank and is scheduled to get a shot at a title in his 2nd pro fight. let's see what happens.

checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 17 2013, 02:53 PM) *
there are soooo many things that have to fall in place to make greatness happen. boxing skills are just a part of it. you must have a great team(promotion/management/trainer) in place that are all on the same page. you also need to have the opposition in front of you to take those shots at greatness.

the most obvious person lined up for greatness at this point, imo, is guillermo rigondeaux. he has the credentials, talent and the desire. he has the opposition in front of him. the only problem is that his management and promotion are not on the same page.

andre ward has all the ingredients...but the opposition doesn't seem to be there and his team is not on the same page.

crawford looks to have the goods....opposition is there...can't speak on the rest of his situation though.

broner would also appear to have some of the ingredients necessary. the opposition is definitely in front of him. his team is on point. he may be his own worst enemy with his out of the ring antics. (get your mom out the hood broner!!! smh)

ggg has the skills...the opposition is there....not sure about his team though. he should have had some big fights already.

lomanchenko appears to be another guy...he's signed with toprank and is scheduled to get a shot at a title in his 2nd pro fight. let's see what happens.

You finally made it to the dark side :-)

I think broner and Crawford have the best push behind them, and they work with rival companies so a build up can take place and get some fame off of each others names. I mean by the time Crawford gets to 140-147 all the other guys will be shopworn from killing each other off (pac, Rios, alvarado)

Broner, if he makes it passed maidana has nothing but good things in front of him
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 17 2013, 04:40 PM) *
You finally made it to the dark side :-)

I think broner and Crawford have the best push behind them, and they work with rival companies so a build up can take place and get some fame off of each others names. I mean by the time Crawford gets to 140-147 all the other guys will be shopworn from killing each other off (pac, Rios, alvarado)

Broner, if he makes it passed maidana has nothing but good things in front of him

laugh.gif the darkside? huh.gif unsure.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 17 2013, 06:19 PM) *
laugh.gif the darkside? huh.gif unsure.gif

Don't think I've ever heard you criticise anything ggg related lol. He should have had some bigger opponents by now your right
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.