Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Hopkins
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Gambit808

Should Floyd take the same bait De La Hoya did?

I know it's a day after and too early to be talking up a potential opponent, but being that after Canelo, it really doesent seem like a lot of names are out there that can be considered a threat to Mayweather around 140-154lbs., and being that it seems to not even matter if Floyd faces guys who come in to a fight weighing 160+, then how realistic is it for a fight like this to happen?
mgrover
Could Hopkins even make 160
Gambit808
He's seems confident about it. What I question about this from Hopkins is he's confident in fighting Floyd, but not Ward.
emd01
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 04:57 PM) *
He's seems confident about it. What I question about this from Hopkins is he's confident in fighting Floyd, but not Ward.

Thats because Hopkins would balloon up to 180 and would outweigh Floyd by a fat kid. No. BHop just needs to stop hating.
Dolimite
So if Floyd doesn't go up 3 weight classes he will be called a bitch and a chicken? Mayweather can't even weight 152. This is stupid. besides, this would be the most technical fight ever which means to the average boxer fan, a snooze feast. I am good. Hopkins should fight Sergio or GGG since he is into fighting at 160. GTOH!
emd01
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 15 2013, 05:12 PM) *
So if Floyd doesn't go up 3 weight classes he will be called a bitch and a chicken? Mayweather can't even weight 152. This is stupid. besides, this would be the most technical fight ever which means to the average boxer fan, a snooze feast. I am good. Hopkins should fight Sergio or GGG since he is into fighting at 160. GTOH!

No matter what Floyd does he'll be called a bitch and a chicken. He just beat the last legit threat, on paper, Saturday. Its going to be hard for Floyd to sell PPVs after this.
Col Reb
I think Floyd should get a title at 160. BHOP does not present this title. Since Floyd is now good with catchweights, he should fight Martinez or GGG at 155. If Floyd wants to wear "The Best Ever" hat, he needs to get a MW title just like Leonard and Robinson did.

emd01
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Sep 15 2013, 05:34 PM) *
I think Floyd should get a title at 160. BHOP does not present this title. Since Floyd is now good with catchweights, he should fight Martinez or GGG at 155. If Floyd wants to wear "The Best Ever" hat, he needs to get a MW title just like Leonard and Robinson did.

So the only way for Floyd to become "Best ever" is to win a MW title at a catchweight nea.gif ?
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 06:57 PM) *

One is past his prime and the other one is in his prime
Franchize
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Sep 15 2013, 08:34 PM) *

First of all, I find it incredible hypocritical to criticize the validity of one great fighter and have Ray Leonard as the example of who said fighter should be. SRL was the epitome of everything people foolishly criticize Floyd about. Not to say SRL isn't great but he got away with a lot of things in his career. Firstly, he had a grocery list of stipulations for Marvin Hagler before their fight and Hagler really should have been calling the shots. Then, he pussyfooted around the rematch. Thirdly, he wanted no parts of Aaron Pryor.

Floyd does not have to move up to "prove" himself. He's lasted triumphed through 2 eras of solid stacked weight classes. Enough is enough. Just give the man his props.

And I like B-Hop for obvious reasons. He's a legend and him fighting at 48 and winning is miraculous. That said, I've gradually lost respect for him as a person over the years. Floyd gave him a big time shout out and then he comes with this BS. Reminds me of the co-signing he did when Shane got too big for his britches and jump in the post fight Marquez/Mayweather interview.

GGG and B-Hop need to shut the fuck up. There's a fighter at 168 named Andre Ward so they need to stop acting like they cleaned out the division and Floyd is their last hope. Shit, fight each other. Until they push for a Ward fight and he says absolutely not, they can kindly eat a dick medium rare. I see guys like Quillen, Trout, Martinez, Chavez Jr etc all as game opponents. How the fuck you skip all the way to a Welterweight?
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (emd01 @ Sep 15 2013, 07:00 PM) *
Thats because Hopkins would balloon up to 180 and would outweigh Floyd by a fat kid. No. BHop just needs to stop hating.

I didn't see and fail to see that HATING in this. Please tell us where it is??
klonopinz
everyon wants mayweather because of the money he brings in, its a huge fuckin career ending payday for everyone of them. andre ward doesnt bring any cake to the table, mayweather brings ten mil easy. thats why
Marcus
Was a bit ifffy about Mayweather Martinez at 160. Thats a stretch for Floyd. But being that Martinez is on his way out and weighed 167, two pounds more fightnight against Chavez, than what Canelo weighed yesterday on fightnight (165), i dont see why it shouldnt happen. yes theres a marginal difference between weighing in at 152 and 160 despite what you may rehydrate to however Floyd has NO COMPETITION. and martinez is injury prone. Martinez at 160 is the most formidable opponent Floyd can face. I understand the skill set between Sergio and Canelo is different but damn Floyd made that fight look so easy yesterday. He might as well take advantage of Martinez's situation while moving up in weight to even the scenario out.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 15 2013, 08:54 PM) *
One is past his prime and the other one is in his prime

True, even though Floyd makes it hard to tell the difference at times, but is there more to gain here for Hopkin's if (hypothetically) he were to fight and beat Floyd, than to fight and beat Andre?
bnoles4life
Maaaaaaaan, EFF boxing's version of a Jack-o-latern. He wants to fight Floyd? Let's ponder that a moment. A career middleweight/super middle, now light-heavy wants to fight a former super lightweight. Again, let's ponder that.

I agree, why are they acting like Andre Ward is wearing camouflage? He's hiding in plain sight. This is the iiiiish that I don't like. All the stipulations that don't apply to any other fighter, is mandated for Floyd to lament is legacy (which makes me wonder, how many times are the "legacy lamenters" going to move the goal line on dude?).
Marcus
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Sep 15 2013, 10:05 PM) *
True, even though Floyd makes it hard to tell the difference at times, but is there more to gain here for Hopkin's if (hypothetically) he were to fight and beat Floyd, than to fight and beat Andre?

Ironically theres more to gain for hopkins in beating Floyd simply because Floyd and hopkins are mainstream fighters, and the casual fan wouldnt understand that Floyd is 36 himself and WAY smaller. theyd just see it as Floyd Mayweather getting beat by an old man.

To us aficionados we wouldnt respect it much because BHop is fighting at LHW and hes been campaigning at middleweight and up most of his career. floyd Came up from 125. How could you say you dont want to fight the #2 p4p undefeated figther who is 1 weight class below you, in his prime, and who beat the former #1 fighter in your weight class who you LOST toafter you dominate and win a title but want to fight a fighter damn near 30 pounds below you, 3-4 weight classes below you. I dont respect that. I respect him trying to get that check but nah... i wouldnt respect that W as a true boxing fan.

You cant call out Floyd but then randomly say you dont want to figth Ward. Unacceptabel. Ironically a win over Floyd would be more impressive to the casual fan. But to a real fan it would be hard to respect.
checkleft
It's official, the mayweather sweepstakes is at full speed again. I'm just waiting for the klitchkos to call him out now
daprofessor
This fight could be free and I would skip it.
Col Reb
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 15 2013, 08:14 PM) *
First of all, I find it incredible hypocritical to criticize the validity of one great fighter and have Ray Leonard as the example of who said fighter should be. SRL was the epitome of everything people foolishly criticize Floyd about. Not to say SRL isn't great but he got away with a lot of things in his career. Firstly, he had a grocery list of stipulations for Marvin Hagler before their fight and Hagler really should have been calling the shots. Then, he pussyfooted around the rematch. Thirdly, he wanted no parts of Aaron Pryor.

Floyd does not have to move up to "prove" himself. He's lasted triumphed through 2 eras of solid stacked weight classes. Enough is enough. Just give the man his props.

And I like B-Hop for obvious reasons. He's a legend and him fighting at 48 and winning is miraculous. That said, I've gradually lost respect for him as a person over the years. Floyd gave him a big time shout out and then he comes with this BS. Reminds me of the co-signing he did when Shane got too big for his britches and jump in the post fight Marquez/Mayweather interview.

GGG and B-Hop need to shut the fuck up. There's a fighter at 168 named Andre Ward so they need to stop acting like they cleaned out the division and Floyd is their last hope. Shit, fight each other. Until they push for a Ward fight and he says absolutely not, they can kindly eat a dick medium rare. I see guys like Quillen, Trout, Martinez, Chavez Jr etc all as game opponents. How the fuck you skip all the way to a Welterweight?

A few points:

1) Floyd is the one calling himself the greatest ever. To be in that conversation, he just needs to push himself to the limit. I'd favor him over every fighter at 160. GGG is the only one that I think would have a decent chance, but I really think Floyd beats him too. Again, he is the one making the claim. Robinson & Leonard won a MW title, and Floyd could do it with little trouble.

2) Years back we pushed hard for Roy Jones to test himself and seek the HW title. He did and it might be his crowning achievement. Had he stayed at HW and fought & beat Holyfield and Tyson instead of dropping back down for Tarver, who knows how high up the list of all time greats Roy would have finished. Adding a MW title would add considerably to Floyd's legacy, and Martinez is ripe for the picking.

3) I don't blame GG and BHOP for trying to get the fight. I'd do the same in there shoes for the eight figure payday.
emd01
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Sep 15 2013, 06:16 PM) *
I didn't see and fail to see that HATING in this. Please tell us where it is??

Seriously? Andre ward finds it laughable to call out Floyd but BHop, a LHW, thinks its fine and okay to call out a WW. BHop is always Hating on Floyd. Like the time Mosley ambushed Floyd post fight and Hopkins was behind Floyd yelling over and over "Ali was the best to ever do it!" laugh.gif

He just needs to stop.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 16 2013, 04:43 AM) *
This fight could be free and I would skip it.

if weight wasn't an issue, wouldn't you be curious how it would turn out? it might be a snoozefest for PPV sure, but I would be curious to see how Floyd would do against a guy just as smart as him.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 16 2013, 04:54 AM) *
if weight wasn't an issue, wouldn't you be curious how it would turn out? it might be a snoozefest for PPV sure, but I would be curious to see how Floyd would do against a guy just as smart as him.

If the weight wasn't an issue, I would favor Floyd. Bernard has always struggled with athletic/fast fighters even if they weren't very ring savy (Dawson, Taylor, Roy the first time). I would like to think that a smart and fast and athletic guy like Floyd would give Bernard more than he can handle.
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 16 2013, 02:08 PM) *
If the weight wasn't an issue, I would favor Floyd. Bernard has always struggled with athletic/fast fighters even if they weren't very ring savy (Dawson, Taylor, Roy the first time). I would like to think that a smart and fast and athletic guy like Floyd would give Bernard more than he can handle.

he has but he's never made it easy for them, and it feels like to me that more an age issue.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 15 2013, 06:14 PM) *

Everyone wants that big payday. BHop wants a big payday that he has never had. I mean shit, who wouldn't. Hopkins can make big money fighting Ward. That is who he needs to fight or even GGG. This is so fucking stupid. I hope Floyd realizes how good he is for a legend in Bernard to call him out and not Ward. Take a bow Mr. Mayweather. You are the fucking man!
Cshel86
Man, some of yall really need to take a seat, Hopkins included. The same guys that are crying about people putting pressure on Floyd to move up weight classes, are the same guys who are giving the press something to work with.

Sheesh, who cares if Canelo was 165 on fight night, and Martinez was 167 against Chavez??? That's the BS that I'm talking about. The wrong person (read: an idiot with some pull) is gonna read this stuff, and run with it.

I'm surprised that Floyd is even pulling off these Jr. Middleweight fights off, being that he weighs in at nothing more than 151, and comes into the fight between a WW and Jr. MW. Again, the same guys who cry about the media putting pressure on Floyd to move up another weight class, are the same guys who are giving them ammunition to do so.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 16 2013, 09:50 AM) *
Everyone wants that big payday. BHop wants a big payday that he has never had. I mean shit, who wouldn't. Hopkins can make big money fighting Ward. That is who he needs to fight or even GGG. This is so fucking stupid. I hope Floyd realizes how good he is for a legend in Bernard to call him out and not Ward. Take a bow Mr. Mayweather. You are the fucking man!

Get off of Floyd's sack bro...you've been in overdrive lately.

Hopkins made between 10 & 15 million dollars to fight Oscar, so yes, he's seen paydays like this before. A GGG or Ward fight wont do much for his pockets, if anything GGG and Ward can forget about the lion's share of the purse, and be happy for the exposure.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 16 2013, 08:51 AM) *
Man, some of yall really need to take a seat, Hopkins included. The same guys that are crying about people putting pressure on Floyd to move up weight classes, are the same guys who are giving the press something to work with.

Sheesh, who cares if Canelo was 165 on fight night, and Martinez was 167 against Chavez??? That's the BS that I'm talking about. The wrong person (read: an idiot with some pull) is gonna read this stuff, and run with it.

I'm surprised that Floyd is even pulling off these Jr. Middleweight fights off, being that he weighs in at nothing more than 151, and comes into the fight between a WW and Jr. MW. Again, the same guys who cry about the media putting pressure on Floyd to move up another weight class, are the same guys who are giving them ammunition to do so.

I think Bernard just took a page bout of Oscar's book. You know how he brought up a rematch between he and Mayweather after the shot heard round the world against Ortiz. IDK how serious Hopkins was but I don't think the Mayweather camp is giving it the time of day any way.

People can forget about he and Ward, why the hell is everybody glossing over the numerous interviews where he said he wouldn't fight Andre and in his last fight he went up to Andre and told him that. So called fans have shit memories, Ward had backed off saying he wouldn't fight BHOP but when you listen to him it's still apprehension in his voice, neither wants to fight the other

And what really gets me is how some fans, hardcore and casuals alike, put these outrageous demands on fighters to do stuff. He beat a very tough opponent that down the line, will look very impressive on his resume. He's beat some of the best boxers the sport has ever offered, multi division champ, barely lot rounds and that's in a 17 year career now he should go up to 160 to prove his greatness. They've dine it before him and they'll do it after. I'm sick of people saying such and such did it so Floyd should don't to if he's the best ever. He's blazed his own trail, I think people are afraid of trendsetters because they stuck in the ways and aren't intelligent enough to look past what someone did when Dr king was still alive or when jheri curls was poppin

He's an atg and I just appreciate watching him the same as I do bhop because there will never been anyone in the sport like them again, unfortunately some fans don't see it that way and want to throw pointless demands on him and other boxers. You can see it building with Ward, it's building with Broner and to an extent Rigondeaux. I very much appreciate those who set their own standard and don't follow a pattern. It's a lot of rat race clowns around today with narrow minded thinking. I wouldn't rule him out going to 160 but I'm sure he'd only go for a belt, but he really doesn't need it to solidify his legacy or his claims of greatness because it's already been solidified
mrchitown
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Sep 15 2013, 11:23 PM) *
A few points:

1) Floyd is the one calling himself the greatest ever. To be in that conversation, he just needs to push himself to the limit. I'd favor him over every fighter at 160. GGG is the only one that I think would have a decent chance, but I really think Floyd beats him too. Again, he is the one making the claim. Robinson & Leonard won a MW title, and Floyd could do it with little trouble.

2) Years back we pushed hard for Roy Jones to test himself and seek the HW title. He did and it might be his crowning achievement. Had he stayed at HW and fought & beat Holyfield and Tyson instead of dropping back down for Tarver, who knows how high up the list of all time greats Roy would have finished. Adding a MW title would add considerably to Floyd's legacy, and Martinez is ripe for the picking.

3) I don't blame GG and BHOP for trying to get the fight. I'd do the same in there shoes for the eight figure payday.

1) Mayweather has been in that discussion for a while now, maybe not to you but to many he's already been in that convo

2) and look what happened to him, doing something for some stupid ass fans who haven't even fought in a schoolyard. He hasn't been shit since then either has he? And he'd a never beat Holyfield or Tyson

3) neither really should be calling him out, Bernard is two damn big and Golovkin hasn't done anything to warrant that fight other then have a belt. I can't name one future hall of fame on his ledger, he'd beating fighters he's supposed to beat
Franchize
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Sep 16 2013, 12:23 AM) *
A few points:

1. So fighting the best JR Middleweight who really should be a middleweight as a Welterweight isn't pushing yourself to the limit? And I'm sorry but did Floyd JUST become champion or has he been undefeated for years? Genaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy, Emanuel Augustus, Chico Corrales, Chop Chop Corley, Jose' Luis Castillo, Sharmba Mitchell, Zb Judah, Arturo Gatti, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez, Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz, Carlos Baldomir, Miguel Cotto, Robert Guerrero, Canelo Alvarez..... That's an extremely impressive resume' spanning well over a decade. Furthermore, how are you going to say Floyd needs to fight a guy like Golovkin to prove himself. WHAT THE FUCK HAS GOLOVKIN PROVED? And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mayweather start at like Superfeatherweight and Ray Leonard start at Jr Welterweight?

2. Who's "we"? I certainly didn't. I said then and I'll say now. There was no need for Roy to go HW. It isn't his fault the LHW couldn't hold his jock strap. That being said, if he felt the need to challenge himself that way, he should have retired afterwards or at least took his time coming back down in weight gradually. A MW title WOULD add to Floyd's legacy but stop acting like it's mandatory. The dude has won titles all the way from 130 to 154. And at 154, he doesn't even go up to 154 in weight to fight guys. He's basically fighting middleweights on fight night at welterweight.

3. So why isn't the standard being held for B-Hop who is undoubtedly a legend in his own right? So he can sell out and go get a pay day (which he's not starving for. he's had his share of pay days) against a fighter 30 lbs less than him and it's ok that there is a fighter right there at 168 that he refused to fight? C'mon man.

Do I think Floyd is the greatest of all time? No. But he certainly put himself in the conversation. The only reason why he isn't unanimously in the conversation is because tosay's society doesn't respect greatness anymore. Maybe I sound biased because I'm a Floyd fan, but I really feel this dude is grossly underappreciated. C'mon. Juan Manuel Marquez, one of the best fighters of the last 2 decades....he beat him so easily Nacho Beristein had to tell Marquez to "just finish the fight with some dignity".

Fighting guys like Golovkin don't make or break whether you're great because he isn't anywhere near great his damn self. Golovkin is essentially the middleweight version of Matthysse...and we saw what happens when some intelligent boxing was introduced to him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 16 2013, 10:23 AM) *
I think Bernard just took a page bout of Oscar's book. You know how he brought up a rematch between he and Mayweather after the shot heard round the world against Ortiz. IDK how serious Hopkins was but I don't think the Mayweather camp is giving it the time of day any way.

People can forget about he and Ward, why the hell is everybody glossing over the numerous interviews where he said he wouldn't fight Andre and in his last fight he went up to Andre and told him that. So called fans have shit memories, Ward had backed off saying he wouldn't fight BHOP but when you listen to him it's still apprehension in his voice, neither wants to fight the other

And what really gets me is how some fans, hardcore and casuals alike, put these outrageous demands on fighters to do stuff. He beat a very tough opponent that down the line, will look very impressive on his resume. He's beat some of the best boxers the sport has ever offered, multi division champ, barely lot rounds and that's in a 17 year career now he should go up to 160 to prove his greatness. They've dine it before him and they'll do it after. I'm sick of people saying such and such did it so Floyd should don't to if he's the best ever. He's blazed his own trail, I think people are afraid of trendsetters because they stuck in the ways and aren't intelligent enough to look past what someone did when Dr king was still alive or when jheri curls was poppin

He's an atg and I just appreciate watching him the same as I do bhop because there will never been anyone in the sport like them again, unfortunately some fans don't see it that way and want to throw pointless demands on him and other boxers. You can see it building with Ward, it's building with Broner and to an extent Rigondeaux. I very much appreciate those who set their own standard and don't follow a pattern. It's a lot of rat race clowns around today with narrow minded thinking. I wouldn't rule him out going to 160 but I'm sure he'd only go for a belt, but he really doesn't need it to solidify his legacy or his claims of greatness because it's already been solidified

Im not even sure Hopkins was as serious as he wanted us to believe, but I just get tired of hearing him sometimes. At one point, he went on record saying that Floyd made black people look bad, and now thing's are on the up and he's entertaining the idea of a fight that we know wont happen.

At this point, dude's legacy is cemented. Canelo was the last of the big threats, and Matthysse lost Saturday, so I'm not sure who else is a "threat". I guess they can roll with whoever brings in the most money, which more than likely, is Khan, or maybe even a Marquez rematch, if he starched Bradley. Since Floyd is talking good about Bob, I'm sure Bob would possibly serve up Marquez, that's if Marquez's contract isn't over after the Bradley fight.

No, people aren't afraid of trendsetters...people are afraid of someone (who doesn't fit their personal preferences), achieving what their initial favorite fighter couldn't do.
Dolimite
[quote name='Cshel86' date='Sep 16 2013, 06:00 AM' post='590121']

Hopkins made between 10 & 15 million dollars to fight Oscar, so yes, he's seen paydays like this before. A GGG or Ward fight wont do much for his pockets, if anything GGG and Ward can forget about the lion's share of the purse, and be happy for the exposure.
[/
quote]
How long ago was the Oscar fight? So again, he is looking for a big payday. Andre Ward would make more sense than fighting a damn Welter weight. Now rather Hopkins was serious or not it is still stupid, I would love to see him fight Sergio Martinez.

I do what I damn well please, I am not one of these posters or people who are ashamed of being a fan of a particular athlete. And its a damn shame when we can't openly support another fighter or athlete without being ridiculed. You can play Mr. Cool all you want and be whatever, but I am not you, and I can give a fuck how you feel about me being on Floyd's sack? And why are you thinking about another man's nuts? Lay off bro.
mitukczuk
Can't believe this bullshit has made it so far, we actually have a thread about it. smh
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Sep 16 2013, 11:11 AM) *
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 16 2013, 06:00 AM) *

How long ago was the Oscar fight? So again, he is looking for a big payday. Andre Ward would make more sense than fighting a damn Welter weight. Now rather Hopkins was serious or not it is still stupid, I would love to see him fight Sergio Martinez.

I do what I damn well please, I am not one of these posters or people who are ashamed of being a fan of a particular athlete. And its a damn shame when we can't openly support another fighter or athlete without being ridiculed. You can play Mr. Cool all you want and be whatever, but I am not you, and I can give a fuck how you feel about me being on Floyd's sack? And why are you thinking about another man's nuts? Lay off bro.

Dolimite, let's be real here...you've shamefully graduated from a fan, to an all-out cheerleader with zero shame. It's like you're more offended about things that are said and/or required of Floyd, than Floyd himself.

Don't get all bent outta shape, I'm just stating facts. I'm not playing Mr. Cool, but if you will, take a page out of my book and relax, the hype of the fight has died down while you're still in overdrive. Pull your skirt down bro...your ovaries are showing.

PS: Don't get so furious, to the point that you mess up the quotes on your posts. Just click, "reply", and type where the cursor is located. Now I have to fix this very post and your quote mishaps, to even post my reply.

Speaking of "fixing things", let me go ahead and fix your sig, since once again, you played your cards wrong with the Garcia/Matthysse prediction. Thanks to being a "fan" of Lucas and following the hype, you couldn't even make a formidable prediction.

laugh.gif
Marcus
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 16 2013, 09:51 AM) *

It was never that serious. You're so adamant about Floyd not moving up to 160 to fight Sergio, so then whose he supposed to fight? FLOYD and ROGER THEMSELEVES said Floyd could get a title at 160 if he really wanted to. THEY planted the seed. Not me. If Floyd doesn't do it i wouldnt be mad because as i SAID thats a too much. I understand Floyd shouldn't even be fighting above 147. I understand He started off at 125. IM AWARE. But he's making easy work of these guys and theres no top 5 P4P fighter that he could possibly face besides Sergio. However if it happened i would be excited to see how Floyd would fare. And if that fight got signed today at 160 im SURE youd be excited too. Sergio Martinez is on the decline, and he would be the ONLY opponenet at 160 in which I'd be confident that Floyd could pull the win off simply because Martinez is older, injury prone, deserves that payday, on his way out the game, and stylistically susceptible to Floyds offense. IDGAF about the media or the press. I doubt they'll be on fighthype reading these forums. Im saying my opinion as a fan. The media, the press you, me, or hopkins wont make Floyd do anything he doesnt want to so relax.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Marcus @ Sep 16 2013, 01:35 PM) *
It was never that serious. You're so adamant about Floyd not moving up to 160 to fight Sergio, so then whose he supposed to fight? FLOYD and ROGER THEMSELEVES said Floyd could get a title at 160 if he really wanted to. THEY planted the seed. Not me. If Floyd doesn't do it i wouldnt be mad because as i SAID thats a too much. I understand Floyd shouldn't even be fighting above 147. I understand He started off at 125. IM AWARE. But he's making easy work of these guys and theres no top 5 P4P fighter that he could possibly face besides Sergio. However if it happened i would be excited to see how Floyd would fare. And if that fight got signed today at 160 im SURE youd be excited too. Sergio Martinez is on the decline, and he would be the ONLY opponenet at 160 in which I'd be confident that Floyd could pull the win off simply because Martinez is older, injury prone, deserves that payday, on his way out the game, and stylistically susceptible to Floyds offense. IDGAF about the media or the press. I doubt they'll be on fighthype reading these forums. Im saying my opinion as a fan. The media, the press you, me, or hopkins wont make Floyd do anything he doesnt want to so relax.

This MW conquest has BEEn going on, but some of you johnny-come-lately guys are sucking up everything that was "said" and done on Saturday. FLOYD and ROGER THEMSELVES said that Floyd could fight at 140 if he really wanted to...what's the possibility of that? Again, just because someone "says" something, it isn't considered the gospel.

Not only do THEY plant the seed, but guys like you feed the media these ideas (because they do read these forums), but then you'll go on complaining about why people want Floyd to move up to MW and so on. Just pick a side and chill.

Floyd started his career at 130, but oh let me not hit you with facts, let me just go off of what somebody else said. Hell, even Floyd was doing an interview days before the fight, and didn't even mention the fact that he fought Chico at 130, which was his biggest fight in that division. Again, you guys take EVERYTHING that Floyd and his team say, and run with it.

I swear if I see a thread, something along the lines of "ESPN says that Floyd isn't an ATG if he doesn't move up to 160", then I'm gonna bring this very thread back up. To my surprise (really I'm not surprised), the one leading jackass in this thread (I wont name his name) is QUICK to say how much of a hardcore fan he is, but is the first to bitch about what "ESPN" was saying. Again, I wont name his name, but the last four letters in his handle, are those little bugs that grow in your mattress of the years.

NOW, Sergio is top P4P....Ohhhhh, say it aint so. I swear some of yall were swearing him off after the Murray performance, but again, I wont name any names. So, if somebody else runs through Sergio, then he's just on the decline, but if Floyd beats him for the MW title, then it's legit?! Hmmm...

I wont relax, because the media and our opinions DO matter. Since you guys eat up everything Floyd says, didn't he SAY that the media is "pushing the fight (megafight) further and further back, by writing the articles that they were writing"? Oh, but us and the media have no control over what he does, right?
Marcus
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 16 2013, 02:04 PM) *
This MW conquest has BEEn going on, but some of you johnny-come-lately guys are sucking up everything that was "said" and done on Saturday. FLOYD and ROGER THEMSELVES said that Floyd could fight at 140 if he really wanted to...what's the possibility of that? Again, just because someone "says" something, it isn't considered the gospel.

Not only do THEY plant the seed, but guys like you feed the media these ideas (because they do read these forums), but then you'll go on complaining about why people want Floyd to move up to MW and so on. Just pick a side and chill.

Floyd started his career at 130, but oh let me not hit you with facts, let me just go off of what somebody else said. Hell, even Floyd was doing an interview days before the fight, and didn't even mention the fact that he fought Chico at 130, which was his biggest fight in that division. Again, you guys take EVERYTHING that Floyd and his team say, and run with it.

I swear if I see a thread, something along the lines of "ESPN says that Floyd isn't an ATG if he doesn't move up to 160", then I'm gonna bring this very thread back up. To my surprise (really I'm not surprised), the one leading jackass in this thread (I wont name his name) is QUICK to say how much of a hardcore fan he is, but is the first to bitch about what "ESPN" was saying. Again, I wont name his name, but the last four letters in his handle, are those little bugs that grow in your mattress of the years.

NOW, Sergio is top P4P....Ohhhhh, say it aint so. I swear some of yall were swearing him off after the Murray performance, but again, I wont name any names. So, if somebody else runs through Sergio, then he's just on the decline, but if Floyd beats him for the MW title, then it's legit?! Hmmm...

I wont relax, because the media and our opinions DO matter. Since you guys eat up everything Floyd says, didn't he SAY that the media is "pushing the fight (megafight) further and further back, by writing the articles that they were writing"? Oh, but us and the media have no control over what he does, right?

I never said it would happen. All i said was that they planted the seed. Whether or not they read these forums idk but i highly doubt it. Im not complaining. Im not nor will i be complaining. As i said i know its too much. But that matchup just intrigues me. Because a specific matchup intrigues me im a johnny-come-lately.. whatever that means.. K. If you dont want to see it ok. I respect that. If that matchup doesnt intrigue you i respect that. I dont have to be on any side. Im just curious aboout how that matchup would turn out at 160. Thats all. You make it impossible for anyone else to have an opinion.
Round of applause for you he started his career at 130. You were right, i was wrong. Oh you hit me with the facts! lol I'm not running with anything. All i said is that they planted the seed.
...you know what lol im not going to go back and forth. Lmao idek know you. You got it cshel. You got it man lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (Marcus @ Sep 16 2013, 02:23 PM) *
I never said it would happen. All i said was that they planted the seed. Whether or not they read these forums idk but i highly doubt it. Im not complaining. Im not nor will i be complaining. As i said i know its too much. But that matchup just intrigues me. Because a specific matchup intrigues me im a johnny-come-lately.. whatever that means.. K. If you dont want to see it ok. I respect that. If that matchup doesnt intrigue you i respect that. I dont have to be on any side. Im just curious aboout how that matchup would turn out at 160. Thats all. You make it impossible for anyone else to have an opinion.
Round of applause for you he started his career at 130. You were right, i was wrong. Oh you hit me with the facts! lol I'm not running with anything. All i said is that they planted the seed.
...you know what lol im not going to go back and forth. Lmao idek know you. You got it cshel. You got it man lol

There's nothing wrong with you having an opinion, my man. As for shutting people down to the point that they dont wanna share their opinion, that's not my stance. If you're gonna have an opinion, at least stand behind it, that's all.

As soon as I challenge someone's opinion around here, guys go nuts like I'm breaking the law. Hell, I could care less if a guy challenges what I post around, it's not like it's the gospel just because I post it. Somethings are better left as they are, in the boxing world, but again, forums, "journalists", etc., push for these things to happen, whether they're good for boxing or not.

Don't be surprised if we see a Chavez/Martinez rematch, since people thought it was necessary because of the 12th round drama. I wont lie, I was in favor of a rematch, because the guy that wanted to win (Chavez) almost won, especially when nobody gave him a legit chance to. With that in mind, I (along with other media outlets and so on) are giving that fight fuel, whether others want it or not.

Let' see how many people will cry for a Garcia/Matthysse rematch, just because their guy (Matthysse) didn't win. Had Lucas starched Danny, they themselves, wouldn't have wanted a rematch at all, because THEY wanna see how far their guys can go. It's just a selfish, fickle, mentality that most boxing fans have, sadly, the less intelligent ones (read: casual fans) usually get the last say-so in situations like that, since they're the primary consumers.

You're right though, a seed was planted. In most cases, that's all that's needed. For instance, Canelo and his team planted a seed back in 2011, saying that they would fight Floyd at 150 lbs. It just so happens that, that seed got them the fight, but not on their terms (weight wise).

All Im saying is, we cant get mad at the media for pushing otherworldly demands on Floyd, when we ourselves, feed into it by saying, "Hey, well Sergio came in a 167 against Chavez, and Canelo came in at 165 against Floyd, so it could happen". Then, if Floyd moves up to MW and gets starched, those same Floyd fans will be butthurt if there are millions of memes across the net, with Floyd kissing the canvas.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 16 2013, 09:45 AM) *
Im not even sure Hopkins was as serious as he wanted us to believe, but I just get tired of hearing him sometimes. At one point, he went on record saying that Floyd made black people look bad, and now thing's are on the up and he's entertaining the idea of a fight that we know wont happen.

At this point, dude's legacy is cemented. Canelo was the last of the big threats, and Matthysse lost Saturday, so I'm not sure who else is a "threat". I guess they can roll with whoever brings in the most money, which more than likely, is Khan, or maybe even a Marquez rematch, if he starched Bradley. Since Floyd is talking good about Bob, I'm sure Bob would possibly serve up Marquez, that's if Marquez's contract isn't over after the Bradley fight.

No, people aren't afraid of trendsetters...people are afraid of someone (who doesn't fit their personal preferences), achieving what their initial favorite fighter couldn't do.

I don't really think he was serious but you never know with Bernard...and I remember when he said that about Mayweather, I believe it was in an ESPN magazine issue.

In these 4 fights left on the Showtime deal it's going to be a few duds in the sense of casual fans not recognizing the opponent, like a Garcia, Khan does present the biggest financial gain but he's nowhere near being a threat.

Your exactly right about the personal preferences, an athlete isn't shit unless that athlete does what they want them to do. And after they do it, they still aren't satisfied, go figure
emd01
Floyd needs to keep his ass at 147 and BHop needs to stop spiking his geritol with gin and calling out WWs rolleyes_anim.gif .
HyyerBlaze
Would be a pretty damn boring fight imo lol
xxxxxx
I don't blame X for bringing up the possibility of this fight. Obviously when you first think about it, the idea seems silly. Normally you would think a 48 yr old Light Heavyweight calling out a 36 yr old 150 pounder is ridiculous, but both guys are active champions and living Legends. Both guys would have advatages & disadvantages. Could be interesting to technical boxing fans. The casual fans would buy it for the names, but not enjoy the action unless Mayweather got stopped. I still believe Mayweather fights Garcia or Khan-Alexander winner if they even fight.

On a side note, I was just thinking after Mayweather beat Canelo this Saturday convincingly he would most likely get FOTY again. Mayweather could be 3 -time RING FOTY in 3 Different decades (98,07,13) Thats pretty impressive.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 16 2013, 01:04 PM) *

when he say that?
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Sep 16 2013, 05:54 AM) *

it would be ugly and embarrassing for bhop. floyd is too fast...has the faster feet and hands....he'd be in and out with his shots before bhop could get anything off. i think it would be a pretty one sided affair. i don't think anyone wants this fight...and i don't believe hopkins was being serious.
Franchize
It just strikes me as odd that after every dominant victory, there's an immediate conversation of what else Floyd needs to do to prove and validate himself, yet he's done more than damn near any other fighter in the sport. Fighters like Matthysse and Golovkin can bukkake all over some fans' faces with all the suckin off they do. Correct me if I'm wrong but did Floyd not beat one of the best fighters in boxing? Or are we going to start acting like Canelo was "never that good" and a hype job now that Floyd beat him by a landslide?
scdrking2
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 16 2013, 05:23 PM) *
It just strikes me as odd that after every dominant victory, there's an immediate conversation of what else Floyd needs to do to prove and validate himself, yet he's done more than damn near any other fighter in the sport. Fighters like Matthysse and Golovkin can bukkake all over some fans' faces with all the suckin off they do. Correct me if I'm wrong but did Floyd not beat one of the best fighters in boxing? Or are we going to start acting like Canelo was "never that good" and a hype job now that Floyd beat him by a landslide?

But life is given to it by acting like a bum like Canelo earned a shot. Based on fan base, we know why he got it. But if you act like he earned, what about guys with better resumes.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 16 2013, 05:47 PM) *
when he say that?

It was during the build-up of the Ortiz fight.
Gambit808
Seems like B-Hop is serious to me.

http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-ready-m...160-by-3--69687

SIDE NOTE: for God sakes, do I really have to sit through a month of noticing a man in drag as my profile? DAMN! Can't wait for that next sig bet.
emd01
QUOTE (Franchize @ Sep 16 2013, 03:23 PM) *

Thats true and its ridiculous. I remember arguing with people before the Canelo fight the ridiculousness of Floyd fighting a 168 LBer and now he needs to fight a LHW?!? GTFOH!!! That just shows his greatness...a WW fighting a LHW is fucking stupid...a sideshow...some WWE shit.

LMAO at the bukkake comment laugh.gif .
checkleft
Maybe this is Hopkins way of saying he wants no part of kovalev or Stevenson. Because honestly I took it as a joke when he came out with this shit..
emd01
QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 17 2013, 03:14 PM) *
Maybe this is Hopkins way of saying he wants no part of kovalev or Stevenson. Because honestly I took it as a joke when he came out with this shit..

i think Hopkins just wants a huge payday. Like James Toney Said-"Hopkins needs to quit calling out WWs." What If Flod told Rigondeaux to meet him at 138? That would be gay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.