Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO has got to be "sick" over this.....$80M
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bnoles4life
Normally, I detest people speaking on another man's wallet (no matter how said man throws it in our faces...), but, Forbes says May gets about $80M from the Canelo fight, bolstering his career earnings to roughly $350M. My question is, what, exactly, do you think HBO is thinking right about now? How much has Showtime raked in, w/ May getting such a hefty price tag (and still counting)? Lastly, do you think this is a sign of what's to come, as it pertains to the future of boxing (not specifically Floyd)? **By "it", I mean free agent vs. Promoter-represented**

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhause...m_medium=social
KOpower
HBO knew that the Canelo fight would be huge. There was just no getting around that. The reason they didn't want to sign Floyd to the deal Showtime did was because the other fights don't have as much appeal and Mayweather has a HUGE guarantee.

Look at the RG fight. That cost Showtime money as the event did not do well on PPV sales. We are just a few days removed from The One yet we already have more PPV information on that fight than we did the RG fight and that is because the numbers fell well below 1 million PPV buys and it probably needed 1.5 million PPV buys for it to be a success.

Now what is next for Floyd? Garcia just isn't going to be a draw and it probably needs 1.5 million buys to be considered a success and I bet it does something like 750-800k. Showtime is in trouble with that Floyd Mayweather deal and HBO was really smart not to get involved with guarantees like the ones Showtime made.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Sep 19 2013, 09:41 PM) *
Normally, I detest people speaking on another man's wallet (no matter how said man throws it in our faces...), but, Forbes says May gets about $80M from the Canelo fight, bolstering his career earnings to roughly $350M. My question is, what, exactly, do you think HBO is thinking right about now? How much has Showtime raked in, w/ May getting such a hefty price tag (and still counting)? Lastly, do you think this is a sign of what's to come, as it pertains to the future of boxing (not specifically Floyd)? **By "it", I mean free agent vs. Promoter-represented**

Cshel86
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 19 2013, 10:25 PM) *
HBO knew that the Canelo fight would be huge. There was just no getting around that. The reason they didn't want to sign Floyd to the deal Showtime did was because the other fights don't have as much appeal and Mayweather has a HUGE guarantee.

Look at the RG fight. That cost Showtime money as the event did not do well on PPV sales. We are just a few days removed from The One yet we already have more PPV information on that fight than we did the RG fight and that is because the numbers fell well below 1 million PPV buys and it probably needed 1.5 million PPV buys for it to be a success.

Now what is next for Floyd? Garcia just isn't going to be a draw and it probably needs 1.5 million buys to be considered a success and I bet it does something like 750-800k. Showtime is in trouble with that Floyd Mayweather deal and HBO was really smart not to get involved with guarantees like the ones Showtime made.

Man please, where are those Pacquiao/Mosley numbers? NOBODY wanted to release those numbers (or lack thereof). As for PPV sales, anything over 500 or 600 thousand, aint that bad. It's bad for a guy like Mayweather, who has these huge guarantees, and even worse for Showtime, who would come up short in a situation such as that.

How do you figure that Garcia wont be a draw, when the Guerrero fight did a little over 1M buys? Sorry man, regardless of the network, BUYS ARE BUYS, period. Whenever you can show me your source that tells you how much these fights are selling, then please let me know.

I'd much rather hear the numbers released from the network, than some senile promoter. By the way, when were the most recent Pacquiao PPV numbers released, or are we still in the delusional state of thinking that he's still cracking a million plus nowadays???
daprofessor
i think so long as al haymon is involved in boxing....fighters are going to flock to his team. he's treating them right and the association with gbp and showtime is a good one. i know a lot of ppl who have gotten rid of hbo...and some who didn't have showtime who have it now. i should have invested in stock. laugh.gif showtimes viewership is going up and hbo's is gonna drop. there's no way around that. say what u will about the fighters that showtime is show casing...but who knows ggg? shiming? lomenchenko? or any of the guys they're trying to push? pac's days are numbered and he never really did big numbers to begin with.

what i'm hoping for next....this whole ppv shit needs to stop. it limits viewership. good for floyd that he's getting paid...but honestly, if you're thinking long term boxing...you have to increase viewership. ppv's should only happen once or twice a year for mega fights.

as for hbo...their best bet....fire lampley...get new blood in there. smack kellerman out of that merchant impression he's trying to do. stop discriminating against black skillful boxers and showcase more than just rock 'em sock 'em robots.
Hotsauce
If canelo was more aggressive, he would have gotten a gift decision.

And we would have had a trilogy, gbp was banking on that.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 19 2013, 09:42 PM) *
i think so long as al haymon is involved in boxing....fighters are going to flock to his team. he's treating them right and the association with gbp and showtime is a good one. i know a lot of ppl who have gotten rid of hbo...and some who didn't have showtime who have it now. i should have invested in stock. laugh.gif showtimes viewership is going up and hbo's is gonna drop. there's no way around that. say what u will about the fighters that showtime is show casing...but who knows ggg? shiming? lomenchenko? or any of the guys they're trying to push? pac's days are numbered and he never really did big numbers to begin with.

what i'm hoping for next....this whole ppv shit needs to stop. it limits viewership. good for floyd that he's getting paid...but honestly, if you're thinking long term boxing...you have to increase viewership. ppv's should only happen once or twice a year for mega fights.

as for hbo...their best bet....fire lampley...get new blood in there. smack kellerman out of that merchant impression he's trying to do. stop discriminating against black skillful boxers and showcase more than just rock 'em sock 'em robots.

U keep it real bruh
Hotsauce
Floyd still has another lucrative fight
Cshel86
laugh.gif

Gotta love Hotsauce and his "one-liners"!!! Some of the coolest stuff I've seen in years. Dude, you make me wanna shorten my posts. Lol
mrchitown

HBO still has superior programming to the likes of Showtime as far as shows. Their boxing viewership will suffer but they still run the game as far as cable networks go
mrchitown
HBO dropped the ball before and they'll do it again..in fact they're doing it now in how they are choosing to go about getting dates for Andre and Rigondeaux. What they need to do is fire Hershman, he is an ESPN FNF type of president at best, he doesn't know wth to do with that budget and those fighters over there. I had high hopes for him in the beginning but I'm very disappointed
NoCatchweights
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 19 2013, 09:25 PM) *

You pulled the 1.5 million out your butt, seriously you have no clue that is the magic number. From what I've seen Floyd fights need to generate 45 million to break even. 32 million guarantee, 5 million for other fighters, 3 million for Golden Boy and 5 million in other costs. Don't forget the guarantee includes gate, ppv, site fees, sponsors, close circuit fees, international right and even concessions. A decent number can figure out how to make a profit. Let's say Danny is a money losing fight they'll get it back later.
NoCatchweights
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 19 2013, 11:09 PM) *
HBO dropped the ball before and they'll do it again..in fact they're doing it now in how they are choosing to go about getting dates for Andre and Rigondeaux. What they need to do is fire Hershman, he is an ESPN FNF type of president at best, he doesn't know wth to do with that budget and those fighters over there. I had high hopes for him in the beginning but I'm very disappointed

Hershman always got to much credit, 8 years in charge of Showtime what did he do? The Super 6 tournament, Bantamweights and 1 Manny fight. That's it, he didn't do anything else and gave boxing money to Strikeforce.
NoCatchweights

Good post, does HBO feature 5 black boxers? It has to be on purpose.
mrchitown
QUOTE (NoCatchweights @ Sep 19 2013, 11:39 PM) *
Hershman always got to much credit, 8 years in charge of Showtime what did he do? The Super 6 tournament, Bantamweights and 1 Manny fight. That's it, he didn't do anything else and gave boxing money to Strikeforce.

His biggest accomplishment was that Super 6, with all the shit that was going on there he and Showtime still managed to pull off a great tourney for Boxing. IDK if that's what HBO was banking on when they hired him but he's failed to deliver
NoCatchweights
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 19 2013, 11:42 PM) *
His biggest accomplishment was that Super 6, with all the shit that was going on there he and Showtime still managed to pull off a great tourney for Boxing. IDK if that's what HBO was banking on when they hired him but he's failed to deliver

Yeah it was an impressive accomplishment, he was a consensus builder now he is paying 3 million for Cotto to fight an ESPN guy because Bob told him to.
checkleft
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 19 2013, 10:10 PM) *
U keep it real bruh

King of the one liners
Hotsauce
Give credit to al haymon

The next american heavyweight will be a billionaire if he signs with al haymon.

mike tyson would be a billionaire fighting in this era.
jazz
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Sep 19 2013, 08:41 PM) *

No one knows how much the deal between Showtime and Mayweather was worth, but I would bet everything that I own that it was not $250-$300 million, which is the number that some blogger pulled out of his ass and all the other bloggers and publications like Forbes accepted as truthful and ran with it. That number is ridiculously unrealistic and if they actually signed Mayweather to that amount, every fight would have to generate 2 million PPVs in order to be successful. I would bet the number was closer to $60 million or about $10 milion per fight and I don't believe that Showtime lost any money on the Mayweather/Guerrerro fight. Those who were claiming/speculating that they lost money were were basing that lie on the ridiculous $300 million number that they believe Showtime was paying Mayweather. I also believe, in the end, Mayweather will end up making much more than $80 million on this fight because his agreement with GBP states that he will receive all the profits from the fight after expenses. According to Schafer, the fight will end up bringing in $200 million from all the various sources of revenue.

Unless he fights a rematch with Cotto or Alvarez or fights Pac, Mayweather's PPV numbers will not hit 1.5 million again. Nevertheless, 900,000 or 1 million PPV buys is still a huge success for a boxing match. Unfortunately, the standards have been set so high with Mayweather that, if the PPV numbers don't hit 1.5 million, which has rarely been done, it is considered a failure .

I dont' think we will see any fighters becoming free agents in the near future because there is no other fighter on the horizon who is popular enough (including Alvarez) to pull off what Mayweather has done.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 19 2013, 11:06 PM) *
HBO still has superior programming to the likes of Showtime as far as shows. Their boxing viewership will suffer but they still run the game as far as cable networks go

i don't watch them shows. it's all about boxing to me. i didn't get cable to watch sopranos or entourage. they can have that bullshit.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 20 2013, 10:19 AM) *
Give credit to al haymon

The next american heavyweight will be a billionaire if he signs with al haymon.

mike tyson would be a billionaire fighting in this era.

haymon has a serious stable of heavyweights. off the top i can name about 5-6 guys. he who controls the heavyweight division controls boxing. it's just a matter of time before haymon has a champion in the heavyweight division.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 19 2013, 10:10 PM) *
U keep it real bruh

thanks mane.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 19 2013, 10:11 PM) *
Floyd still has another lucrative fight

i think there are a lot of scenarios that can lead to some good fights for floyd.

i think danny is next in line. not too many victories trump his win over matthysse. they need to let this one marinate and do it in nyc.

jmm/bradley...i don't think jmm wants the rematch but if he should beat bradley impressively, it's on the table for him. on the flipside, bradley gets a boost in line if he beats marquez.

pac/rios....if pac should look dominant against rios, which i expect him too...ppl are going to be screaming for the mismatch between floyd and pac. not interested in rios/floyd.

cotto/rodriguez....if cotto should look impressive against rodriguez under freddie, which is possible...that could lead to floyds msg appearance. not interested in floyd/rodriguez.

thurman....how did i forget this dude!? he's a couple of spectacular victories away from his shot.

molina/trout/lara....any of these guys could be 'stay busy' fights for floyd. i think trout and lara would be chess matches for floyd. i think floyd outclasses molina.

martinez/ggg/quillin/barker....any of these should be his grand finale. go out on top accomplishing the impossible. i honestly believe floyd has a shot to beat all of these guys even with the size disadvantage. in my eyes, the only guy that has a shot to beat him is ggg. he schools the rest.
mrchitown
QUOTE (jazz @ Sep 20 2013, 01:05 PM) *
No one knows how much the deal between Showtime and Mayweather was worth, but I would bet everything that I own that it was not $250-$300 million, which is the number that some blogger pulled out of his ass and all the other bloggers and publications like Forbes accepted as truthful and ran with it. That number is ridiculously unrealistic and if they actually signed Mayweather to that amount, every fight would have to generate 2 million PPVs in order to be successful. I would bet the number was closer to $60 million or about $10 milion per fight and I don't believe that Showtime lost any money on the Mayweather/Guerrerro fight. Those who were claiming/speculating that they lost money were were basing that lie on the ridiculous $300 million number that they believe Showtime was paying Mayweather. I also believe, in the end, Mayweather will end up making much more than $80 million on this fight because his agreement with GBP states that he will receive all the profits from the fight after expenses. According to Schafer, the fight will end up bringing in $200 million from all the various sources of revenue.

Unless he fights a rematch with Cotto or Alvarez or fights Pac, Mayweather's PPV numbers will not hit 1.5 million again. Nevertheless, 900,000 or 1 million PPV buys is still a huge success for a boxing match. Unfortunately, the standards have been set so high with Mayweather that, if the PPV numbers don't hit 1.5 million, which has rarely been done, it is considered a failure .

I dont' think we will see any fighters becoming free agents in the near future because there is no other fighter on the horizon who is popular enough (including Alvarez) to pull off what Mayweather has done.

So in other words your assuming that the deal wasn't what was reported?

They, meaning GB needs to build up the next boogeyman who is perceived ti be a threat to Mayweather, that could be Thurman. I can see a few scenarios where the numbers would or could hit 1.5, a fight with Khan would do it for instance
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 01:31 PM) *
i don't watch them shows. it's all about boxing to me. i didn't get cable to watch sopranos or entourage. they can have that bullshit.

Then you can't speak on them losing ground to Showtime because they've only lost ground in terms of Boxing programming. HBO will always be superior to them as long as they put out shows like they do. Take it from someone who actually knows more then Boxing
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 19 2013, 11:09 PM) *

i actually think hershman is good. when he was at showtime with a limited budget...they did boxing better imo. now that he's at hbo...he inherited thier biggest problem....jim lampley. that's the guy he needs to get rid of. he also inherited the bullshit notion that hbo has about building stars. they are soooo stuck on their agenda that they try to sell us shit. lampley and company are so busy trying to convince the public that they know what they're talking about that when ever shit doesn't go their way it has to be some bullshit ass controversey or travesty to the sport. lederman and kellerman are his enablers. they were so convinced pac would ko jmm in the 3rd and 4th fights. they were so convinced bradley didn't belong in the ring with pac. they were so convinced that nonito donaire was the second coming of pacquiao and when rigondeaux schooled donaire lampley was so busy sucking nonito's dick that he didn't even notice. it's not the budget that's the problem....it's lampley. u get rid of him and fights become more interesting automatically.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 20 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Then you can't speak on them losing ground to Showtime because they've only lost ground in terms of Boxing programming. HBO will always be superior to them as long as they put out shows like they do. Take it from someone who actually knows more then Boxing

umm....last i checked this was a boxing website. we're here to discuss boxing not glee or whatever show it is that u watch bruh. laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 01:59 PM) *
umm....last i checked this was a boxing website. we're here to discuss boxing not glee or whatever show it is that u watch bruh. laugh.gif

Stop playing yourself, you acting more and more like Donate everyday, that ain't good for somebody your age laugh.gif

All I'm saying is the money for boxing programming is generated by the subscriptions which lure people in with the shows they put on. Just because you sleep by 5pm don't make it bullshit Unc laugh.gif boardwalk empire, eastbound and down and others draw more viewers then Showtime's shit. But I do agree that I've been seeing hella people leave HBO completely because their pissed at the way they did Floyd or the way their running their boxing programming. Showtime is the industry leader now in terms of Boxing if you ask me and I say that not just because they landed the biggest fish in the pond.

Look at the fights they've put on the last two years, they are creating a lot of excitement in the Boxing world and HBO is playing catch up
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 20 2013, 02:05 PM) *
Stop playing yourself, you acting more and more like Donate everyday, that ain't good for somebody your age laugh.gif

All I'm saying is the money for boxing programming is generated by the subscriptions which lure people in with the shows they put on. Just because you sleep by 5pm don't make it bullshit Unc laugh.gif boardwalk empire, eastbound and down and others draw more viewers then Showtime's shit. But I do agree that I've been seeing hella people leave HBO completely because their pissed at the way they did Floyd or the way their running their boxing programming. Showtime is the industry leader now in terms of Boxing if you ask me and I say that not just because they landed the biggest fish in the pond.

Look at the fights they've put on the last two years, they are creating a lot of excitement in the Boxing world and HBO is playing catch up

donate? who the fuck is donate? laugh.gif

stop trying to get my attention like a lil' kid youngsta. laugh.gif u just disagreed with me only to come back and agree with me. smh. just say what's up and keep it moving. i think hbo has been losing to showtime for the last few years when it comes to boxing.

mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 01:58 PM) *
i actually think hershman is good. when he was at showtime with a limited budget...they did boxing better imo. now that he's at hbo...he inherited thier biggest problem....jim lampley. that's the guy he needs to get rid of. he also inherited the bullshit notion that hbo has about building stars. they are soooo stuck on their agenda that they try to sell us shit. lampley and company are so busy trying to convince the public that they know what they're talking about that when ever shit doesn't go their way it has to be some bullshit ass controversey or travesty to the sport. lederman and kellerman are his enablers. they were so convinced pac would ko jmm in the 3rd and 4th fights. they were so convinced bradley didn't belong in the ring with pac. they were so convinced that nonito donaire was the second coming of pacquiao and when rigondeaux schooled donaire lampley was so busy sucking nonito's dick that he didn't even notice. it's not the budget that's the problem....it's lampley. u get rid of him and fights become more interesting automatically.

I like Ken too but I think he works better with a smaller budget like he had at Showtime. I agree Lampley got to go as well lol...but he's not in charge, Hershman is, Rigo should be fighting. look at the way Andre is being treated over there. That's Hershman's call. I read an article this week on another site that said Ward is pissed at HBO because they are putting Chavez Jr ahead if him. The way he sees it, hour wanted a solid tuneup then a big fight but he said HBO wanted him to fight a tougher opponent, he said he pointed out that JCC jr is fighting a tuneup and Ward said HBO told him and his camp to turn up with a better opponent or no fight.

That's Ken's call not Lampley. He fucking up
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 02:09 PM) *
donate? who the fuck is donate? laugh.gif

stop trying to get my attention like a lil' kid youngsta. laugh.gif u just disagreed with me only to come back and agree with me. smh. just say what's up and keep it moving. i think hbo has been losing to showtime for the last few years when it comes to boxing.

I love to you too Unc, you'll be dead soon but look at these memories we're building laugh.gif

I disagreed that HBO will ever fall behind showtime, I don't think that will happen because they got some good shows and you should check some out seriously but if you paid attention to older posts I've been saying showtime is better now in terms of Boxing programming. To you that's all that counts but I'm looking at it as a whole
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 20 2013, 02:10 PM) *
I like Ken too but I think he works better with a smaller budget like he had at Showtime. I agree Lampley got to go as well lol...but he's not in charge, Hershman is, Rigo should be fighting. look at the way Andre is being treated over there. That's Hershman's call. I read an article this week on another site that said Ward is pissed at HBO because they are putting Chavez Jr ahead if him. The way he sees it, hour wanted a solid tuneup then a big fight but he said HBO wanted him to fight a tougher opponent, he said he pointed out that JCC jr is fighting a tuneup and Ward said HBO told him and his camp to turn up with a better opponent or no fight.

merchant and lampley dictate to them dudes up top imo. look at how revered merchant has been. if he shit on a fighter they would never be back. it's that simple. he did it to quite a few fighters. they give lampley his own show called "the fight game" where he pushes his bullshit agenda and has enabling ass "journalist" who come on the show to back up his bullshit. then he creates a bullshit award called "the gatti list" named after merchant's favorite fighter. then he brings andre ward on the show and ward says "with all due respect i don't want to be on the gatti list." next thing you know they're treating him like shit. u think all of this is coincidence!?!?!? i don't.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 20 2013, 02:13 PM) *
I love to you too Unc, you'll be dead soon but look at these memories we're building laugh.gif

I disagreed that HBO will ever fall behind showtime, I don't think that will happen because they got some good shows and you should check some out seriously but if you paid attention to older posts I've been saying showtime is better now in terms of Boxing programming. To you that's all that counts but I'm looking at it as a whole

yous a fool nephew. laugh.gif

i'm bullshitting about the shows. boardwalk empire and game of thrones is my shit! laugh.gif
Hotsauce
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 01:50 PM) *
i think there are a lot of scenarios that can lead to some good fights for floyd.

i think danny is next in line. not too many victories trump his win over matthysse. they need to let this one marinate and do it in nyc.

jmm/bradley...i don't think jmm wants the rematch but if he should beat bradley impressively, it's on the table for him. on the flipside, bradley gets a boost in line if he beats marquez.

pac/rios....if pac should look dominant against rios, which i expect him too...ppl are going to be screaming for the mismatch between floyd and pac. not interested in rios/floyd.

cotto/rodriguez....if cotto should look impressive against rodriguez under freddie, which is possible...that could lead to floyds msg appearance. not interested in floyd/rodriguez.

thurman....how did i forget this dude!? he's a couple of spectacular victories away from his shot.

molina/trout/lara....any of these guys could be 'stay busy' fights for floyd. i think trout and lara would be chess matches for floyd. i think floyd outclasses molina.

martinez/ggg/quillin/barker....any of these should be his grand finale. go out on top accomplishing the impossible. i honestly believe floyd has a shot to beat all of these guys even with the size disadvantage. in my eyes, the only guy that has a shot to beat him is ggg. he schools the rest.

mayweather/broner could be a huge fight
Hotsauce
Yea hbo treating ward like shit
daprofessor
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 20 2013, 02:32 PM) *
mayweather/broner could be a hugh fight

i thought broner said he was going to take over after floyd retired. translation...they ain't fighting each other.

KOpower
I just want to see Floyd in the ring with a fighter that has fast hands and can throw combinations. That is really the only reason why I would rather see him in there against Khan and not Garcia or Alexander. I mean at this point we know what happens when Floyd gets into a ring with these stationary fighters that maybe have decent hand-speed but not elite. Floyd just shreds that. At least with fast hands you have that Mosley moment (even as faded as Shane was at that point) and the Judah moment. Garcia will get shredded. Same with Alexander
daprofessor
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 20 2013, 04:00 PM) *
I just want to see Floyd in the ring with a fighter that has fast hands and can throw combinations. That is really the only reason why I would rather see him in there against Khan and not Garcia or Alexander. I mean at this point we know what happens when Floyd gets into a ring with these stationary fighters that maybe have decent hand-speed but not elite. Floyd just shreds that. At least with fast hands you have that Mosley moment (even as faded as Shane was at that point) and the Judah moment. Garcia will get shredded. Same with Alexander

khan has done nothing to deserve a shot imo. he gets put to sleep by floyd. garcia is a more intelligent boxer than khan and has better punching too. garcia is not stationary. alexander is not offensive enough. garcia ain't been shredded yet. i like his chances against floyd better than any of the other guys u mentioned.
Dolimite
HBO will be fine. they may night be the HBO of the 90s but they will be okay. They fucked up when they decided not to promote Golden Boy Fighters but that is just one promotional company. Now, they can kiss and make up down the road and I am sure they will. HBO's problem, they think they are the only game in town. Showtime is flexing their muscles hard and they do not mind showing new talent. The problem with HBO is, they are showing the same talent which will generate viewers but not new ones. They need an entire new line and strategy. They are being elitist and it is hurting them.
KOpower
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 05:04 PM) *
khan has done nothing to deserve a shot imo. he gets put to sleep by floyd. garcia is a more intelligent boxer than khan and has better punching too. garcia is not stationary. alexander is not offensive enough. garcia ain't been shredded yet. i like his chances against floyd better than any of the other guys u mentioned.

I don't want you to be confused...I don't think Khan deserves a shot anymore than Robert Guerrero did for beating gate-keeper Andre Berto in his previous fight. I just think Khan's style at least presents a style that could make it interesting. Khan's biggest question is his chin/defense. He was able to keep himself up through fights against guys like Maidana and Peterson so maybe he can keep himself up against Mayweather. If he can do that, it could be interesting. Floyd isn't a very active fighter so either Khan's punch-volume will bring the offense out of Floyd or it would make the fight entirely interesting. A win over Alexander also gives Khan at least a resume with wins over guys like Maidana, Paulie, Alexander, and Judah combined with the controversial loss to Peterson. IMO he would have far more impressive wins under his belt than Guerrero did.

Styles make fights and I have NOOOOO interest at all in seeing Floyd pick Garcia apart like he has done every other fighter of his kind. You say Garcia is intelligent and that is fine but he isn't more intelligent than Floyd. Floyd-Garcia will look exactly like Floyd-Guerrero, Floyd-Baldomir, etc. I am not a huge fan of a Floyd-Khan fight either but Khan at least has the offensive talent that I want to see Floyd face. Let's see how he can deal with a guy that puts together incredible combinations with very fast hands.

BTW, Garcia was getting absolutely destroyed by Khan before that big punch.
KOpower
The problem HBO seemed to have with GBP was that GBP took all the talent over to Showtime. Guys like Canelo, Mayweather, and Khan were pretty much exclusively being used at Showtime and those 3 are HUGE draws. HBO was left having to put on Hopkins and Broner. HBO decided against Hopkins fights (no surprise there) and against using their own network to hype Broner up to a point where he may eventually be shipped over to Showtime anyway.

The move to leave GBP was a big hit to their boxing. Let's be honest, GBP has the deepest stable in the sport and it isn't close. HBO can still put on quality fights, but missing out on fights like Broner-Maidana and possibly Garcia-Matthyssee is a pretty big blow.
daprofessor
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 20 2013, 04:37 PM) *
I don't want you to be confused...I don't think Khan deserves a shot anymore than Robert Guerrero did for beating gate-keeper Andre Berto in his previous fight. I just think Khan's style at least presents a style that could make it interesting. Khan's biggest question is his chin/defense. He was able to keep himself up through fights against guys like Maidana and Peterson so maybe he can keep himself up against Mayweather. If he can do that, it could be interesting. Floyd isn't a very active fighter so either Khan's punch-volume will bring the offense out of Floyd or it would make the fight entirely interesting. A win over Alexander also gives Khan at least a resume with wins over guys like Maidana, Paulie, Alexander, and Judah combined with the controversial loss to Peterson. IMO he would have far more impressive wins under his belt than Guerrero did.

Styles make fights and I have NOOOOO interest at all in seeing Floyd pick Garcia apart like he has done every other fighter of his kind. You say Garcia is intelligent and that is fine but he isn't more intelligent than Floyd. Floyd-Garcia will look exactly like Floyd-Guerrero, Floyd-Baldomir, etc. I am not a huge fan of a Floyd-Khan fight either but Khan at least has the offensive talent that I want to see Floyd face. Let's see how he can deal with a guy that puts together incredible combinations with very fast hands.

that statement shows me how little you understand about what your are seeing. i'm not trying to insult you...i'm just saying you need to go back and watch (not listen) to that fight again. danny dealt with amir's speed very easily and was landing good shots in the very first round. sure, amir was getting his...but for the most part, danny was rolling with the shots and timing/zeroing in on his counters. i disagree that floyd/garcia would look like floyd/guerrero or floyd/baldomir. i believe it would be more like floyd/cotto...except that garcia is a bigger puncher and takes a better shot. i actually think he's a better boxer/counter puncher than cotto as well. he's 2 inches taller and has better reach than cotto. people continue to underestimate danny garcia because again...like i've said in the past, he doesn't look special. he's not extraordinary in any particular category...but he is very well rounded. that is what makes him an extraordinary fighter.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 20 2013, 03:10 PM) *

Personally, I think Hershman and Co. @ HBO painted themselves into a corner, when they pretty much said they won't do business w/ GBP. I think they've counted on exclusivity w/ Pac, but The Bobfather has him in Asia, trying to cash him out there, too. So, it's not like they're getting revenue/attention that comes along w/ a Pac fight. They're going to eventually have to extend an olive branch BACK to GBP (in the end, over reaching) or worse: deal straight w/ Haymon and from what we've all seen, Haymon gets his....at ALL costs.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 20 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Well, you don't wanna see him in there w/ Amir "Fine China" Khan. Khan will do that (combos, etc.)....for about 4-5 rounds and then he slows down to that "stationary" fighter you don't want to see. In any competitive fight, Amir is there to be hit as the fight continues. He, like many fighters, gets NOTICEABLY winded in the 2nd half of his fights, now put that w/ the fact, he has "fine china" for a beard and I can tell you, that's puttin' Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on ribs for Floyd. Floyd would get his 1st "legit-no-BS" KO in years, FURTHER elevating his legacy. Brother Nazim told you during the Shane fight, "This kid's real gift is his conditioning...." <<< Not a good look for Team Khan.
NoCatchweights
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 20 2013, 04:45 PM) *
The problem HBO seemed to have with GBP was that GBP took all the talent over to Showtime. Guys like Canelo, Mayweather, and Khan were pretty much exclusively being used at Showtime and those 3 are HUGE draws. HBO was left having to put on Hopkins and Broner. HBO decided against Hopkins fights (no surprise there) and against using their own network to hype Broner up to a point where he may eventually be shipped over to Showtime anyway.

The move to leave GBP was a big hit to their boxing. Let's be honest, GBP has the deepest stable in the sport and it isn't close. HBO can still put on quality fights, but missing out on fights like Broner-Maidana and possibly Garcia-Matthyssee is a pretty big blow.

If Ken was smart he would have pulled a boss move, keep Broner and Thurman and demand Wilder, Errol Spence and Browne.

Funny story Hopkins had bigger ratings than the much more expensive Rigo-Donaire.
Cshel86
QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 20 2013, 05:00 PM) *
I just want to see Floyd in the ring with a fighter that has fast hands and can throw combinations.

Keep holding your breath man...

QUOTE (KOpower @ Sep 20 2013, 05:37 PM) *

Khan doesn't even fight in the manner that you're crying about seeing. As a matter of fact, what IS Khan's fighting style nowadays?
KOpower
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 06:30 PM) *
that statement shows me how little you understand about what your are seeing. i'm not trying to insult you...i'm just saying you need to go back and watch (not listen) to that fight again. danny dealt with amir's speed very easily and was landing good shots in the very first round. sure, amir was getting his...but for the most part, danny was rolling with the shots and timing/zeroing in on his counters. i disagree that floyd/garcia would look like floyd/guerrero or floyd/baldomir. i believe it would be more like floyd/cotto...except that garcia is a bigger puncher and takes a better shot. i actually think he's a better boxer/counter puncher than cotto as well. he's 2 inches taller and has better reach than cotto. people continue to underestimate danny garcia because again...like i've said in the past, he doesn't look special. he's not extraordinary in any particular category...but he is very well rounded. that is what makes him an extraordinary fighter.

Wow...we just agree to disagree then man. If you think Garcia was doing good in the first 2 rounds against Khan then I don't know what else to say.
KOpower
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Sep 20 2013, 07:21 PM) *
Well, you don't wanna see him in there w/ Amir "Fine China" Khan. Khan will do that (combos, etc.)....for about 4-5 rounds and then he slows down to that "stationary" fighter you don't want to see. In any competitive fight, Amir is there to be hit as the fight continues. He, like many fighters, gets NOTICEABLY winded in the 2nd half of his fights, now put that w/ the fact, he has "fine china" for a beard and I can tell you, that's puttin' Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on ribs for Floyd. Floyd would get his 1st "legit-no-BS" KO in years, FURTHER elevating his legacy. Brother Nazim told you during the Shane fight, "This kid's real gift is his conditioning...." <<< Not a good look for Team Khan.

All you described above makes for the most exciting Floyd fight in years...so count me in. Khan would give Floyd a really strong test early, if what you said is true, before a late KO at the end by Floyd. That would be great drama.

Look, Amir presents challenges that Floyd has rarely faced. That is what I want to see. I don't want to see cement-shoes Garcia in there trying to go at it with Floyd with slower hands and little offensive diversity. We have seen Floyd in the ring with these hard-hitting boxer-punchers and it is a recipe for a boring fight. At least Amir brings some drama to the table.
KOpower
QUOTE (NoCatchweights @ Sep 20 2013, 09:50 PM) *
If Ken was smart he would have pulled a boss move, keep Broner and Thurman and demand Wilder, Errol Spence and Browne.

Funny story Hopkins had bigger ratings than the much more expensive Rigo-Donaire.

He couldn't keep those guys though. I think GBP was fine with HBO providing a platform for a star (Broner, Thurman) to grow and then GBP takes him over to Showtime. That is what HBO was worried about. They took Canelo, Khan, and Mayweather over to Showtime.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 20 2013, 02:22 PM) *
yous a fool nephew. laugh.gif

i'm bullshitting about the shows. boardwalk empire and game of thrones is my shit! laugh.gif

I have yet to watch game of thrones but I heard it's some fine ass women on there

The thing with HBO is this, after seeing a big shift away from them by boxing fans in the last 18 month or so. What are they prepared to do next year? Are they going to extend an olive branch to GB? Are they going to put pressure on TR to make better match ups? Are they going to finally work with other promoters like Dibella, Shaw, and Goosen and give them more dates? They know the problem but I want to see how they're going to fix it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.