Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Mayweather vs Adonis Stevenson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
It's a bit early to consider, but as of right now, I have these 2 as my leading candidates for FOTY. In One corner is Floyd Mayweather defeating a pair of top guys in separate Division (Robert Guerrero & Saul Alverez), and then there's Adonis Stevenson, whom not only is on a 9 fight KO/W streak, but started the year avenging his only loss via KO of Darnell Boone, then Chad Dawson and Tavoris Cloud, now to end the year off he will fight Tony Bellew. Like I said it's still early since that fight is next month but if he is to continue the KO/W streak against Bellew, would u say that's enough to be considered 2013's FOTY over Floyd?
checkleft
Ive got Bradley ahead of the two.
Gambit808
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 20 2013, 11:21 PM) *
Ive got Bradley ahead of the two.

U think Bradley's performances against Ruslan and Marquez is more credible than both Floyd & Adonis's accomplishments this year? Let's agree to disagree here.
BrutUalBK
Floyd is still ahead of Bradley based on his wins over 2 major competitors who are held in higher esteem than Prov was at the time, Adonis' wins were significant but it isn't as though Dawson hadn't already been beaten before nor was it something special beating Cloud after he been whupped by a 48 year old man. The JMM win is what moves Bradley high up though and now that Provo is a champ it carries a little more weight but not as much at the time he won it.
checkleft
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Oct 20 2013, 11:58 PM) *
U think Bradley's performances against Ruslan and Marquez is more credible than both Floyd & Adonis's accomplishments this year? Let's agree to disagree here.

Bradley fought a ko artist and a future hall of famer. I even have adonis ahead of Floyd if he wins his next fight. Tho I love seeing Floyd put on a clinic I didn't like either of his opponents. Robert talked his way into the fight and canelo had other people talk him into it, both were undeserving and had fought absolutely no one. Yea floyds age and inactivity made it interesting but come on

But like you said let's agree to disagree
BoxingEinstein

I think its between Floyd and Bradley.

Bradley beat Provo who is now the jr.welter champ. He beat a Hall of famer who was coming off the biggest win of his career and a KO that will go down as thee KO of modern times.

Floyd beat his mandatory to his belt who was a top 5 welter at the time. He beat the jr. Middle champ who at the time was the #1 fighter in that division.

Honorable mentions: D.Garcia, Stevenson
mgrover
Mayweather: Beats a kid that clearly had no real place in that ring with Floyd aside from popularity.

Stevenson: KOs Dawson, Dawson will never be the same again after that weight drain IMO, but it wasn't Stevenson's fault.

Bradley: Was flopping around the ring like an idiot vs Prod, I don't care if he chose to fight like that instead of boxed to prove a point, I see that as mental weakness. But yes the JMM win was impressive, especially according to this new found power Marquez has at WW.

Garcia: All am saying is undisputed jr welterweight champion of the world.

I like Garcia for this.

wolterb
^Me too.
Franchize
I think it's between Floyd and Garcia. Floyd certainly beat the highest regarded fighter. People can front if they want but before Floyd schooled him, Canelo was supposed to be "the next big thing"... and still could be. Not to mention, Floyd fought him closer to his natural weight than Floyd's. Both of his victories this year were clear, dominant and decisive.

That being said Danny's accomplishment was huge because he was actually the underdog and had arguably his best performance vs a guy people assumed would tear his head off. I wouldn't make a fuss about either guy.

Stevenson isn't a terrible choice but the fact that the Dawson fight only went one round, we can't real;y determine if Dawson is a "done" fighter or still an impressive win. Cloud was always overhyped to me. I always regarded him as the most overrated fighter in boxing but it was HOW Adonis beat him that impressed me. He boxed Cloud's face off. I was impressed. I didn't know he had that in him to that degree.

I can't go Bradley because, while he has solid wins on paper, he didn't look impressive in his victories to me. Let's be honest, Provodnikov made a name for himself at Bradley's expense. Ruslan was only a good win to have on your resume' AFTER Bradley.

Cshel86

Team Swift all day baby!!!

To answer your question though, I'd edge a bit more towards Floyd. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, typical answer...here's why though. Both guys that Stevenson fought this year, were coming off of losses. Chad got embarrassed by Ward, and Cloud had just got outgunned by Hopkins a few short months ago.

As for Floyd, the fact that he fought twice in a calender year, is gonna raise some antennas anyway. He fought Guerrero, who had just beaten the "Mayweather prerequisite" (read: Andre Berto) and Canelo, who made Trout look like doo-doo (read: finished helping Trout make himself look like doo doo).

I'd definitely keep my eye on Stevenson next year though, since he did one-shot KO a guy, and arrogantly boxed the hell outta Cloud...showing that he can KO guys and box, pretty much at will. I'd be looking for them to match him against Ward, Hopkins, or Kovalev (sp) next year, which will give him some even more significant credentials.
Dolimite
Popularity wins this award. Canelo is more popular than any other fighter mentioned against their opponent. Canelo is more popular than Matthysee, Cloud, JMM, Ruslan, and whoever else that was mentioned. Floyd beat Canelo with no question. Because Saul is the most popular opponent Floyd wins this fight.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Oct 21 2013, 10:24 AM) *
Popularity wins this award. Canelo is more popular than any other fighter mentioned against their opponent. Canelo is more popular than Matthysee, Cloud, JMM, Ruslan, and whoever else that was mentioned. Floyd beat Canelo with no question. Because Saul is the most popular opponent Floyd wins this fight.

You didn't have to post Dolomite, the FH community knew what your answer was going to be laugh.gif
mrchitown
Between the two I'd say Mayweather but looking at the overall picture I'd have to put Danny Garcia and Tim Bradley right in there too
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 21 2013, 08:12 AM) *
You didn't have to post Dolomite, the FH community knew what your answer was going to be laugh.gif

I didn't say Floyd should win the award, I hardly felt his win against Guerrero was ground breaking. I would say either Bradly, Garcia, or Stevenson would be more deserving.
Franchize
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Oct 21 2013, 01:10 PM) *
I didn't say Floyd should win the award, I hardly felt his win against Guerrero was ground breaking. I would say either Bradly, Garcia, or Stevenson would be more deserving.

The Guerrero win is secondary to the Canelo win though. Don't let them bully you out of your pick son! lol

In seriousness though, I wouldn't have a problem with Swift or Stevenson winning this award though.They put in serious work this year. That being said, I'm not getting this notion that Canelo is some hype job. He was the best 154 lber in the world. Let's not poo poo his win over Trout simply because Floyd beat him. If ANY other fighter beat Canelo after Canelo beat Trout, everyone would be on their dick. Canelo was and still is a top tier fighter. Caneli isn't just more popular than Ruslan, Matthysse and Cloud. He's also better than them. Floyd is just better than everyone else. Not just by a little bit either. Stevenson has another fight this year so he can essentially enhance his case even more.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Oct 21 2013, 12:10 PM) *

I don't think Adonis should even be in the convo actually. He beat a Chad Dawson that was demolished by Andre Ward and then came back and fought a one trick pony in Tavoris who lost to Hopkins in convincing fashion
Gambit808
I don't know y'all, with all credit due to Bradley beating Marquez, even with JMM knocking out Pac, I never really considered him being the biggest threat at WW. It was more so why I pick him to beat Bradley based mainly on how awful and beat up TB looked against a lesser opponent at the time. If that wasn't the case and Bradley fought more within his element to make that an easier win, then I'm sure most of us would have picked Bradley to do what he did or maybe the fight would never take place like Marquez admitted. All do respect to the HOF Marquez, but other than PAC who he fought 4 times, he hasen't really fought top opposition at WW since Floyd in 2010, so the non reckless Bradley with his A game was more or less suppose to do what he did couple weeks back.

I have Floyd, Adonis and Danny respectably above TB.
Gambit808
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 21 2013, 02:03 PM) *
I don't think Adonis should even be in the convo actually. He beat a Chad Dawson that was demolished by Andre Ward and then came back and fought a one trick pony in Tavoris who lost to Hopkins in convincing fashion

But other than Hopkins (who right now is trying to pick a fight with Floyd), Adonis has almost cleaned out a whole division within a year. I understand both Cloud and Dawson may have been on the dowslide after previous losses, but both going in the fight with Adonis was to pose some sort of test based off of there credentials with in the division and he completely wiped them out. That can't be over looked, with also his 4th opponent being a solid up and comer to end things off for the year. I say another top notch performance puts him up there with Floyd.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Oct 21 2013, 01:31 PM) *
But other than Hopkins (who right now is trying to pick a fight with Floyd), Adonis has almost cleaned out a whole division within a year. I understand both Cloud and Dawson may have been on the dowslide after previous losses, but both going in the fight with Adonis was to pose some sort of test based off of there credentials with in the division and he completely wiped them out. That can't be over looked, with also his 4th opponent being a solid up and comer to end things off for the year. I say another top notch performance puts him up there with Floyd.

Correct in they posed a threat but I'm not giving him credit for cleaning out a division and he just got there. There are still names in that division like Bute, Pascal, Kovalev, and Hopkins. That's when I'll say he's even came close to cleaning out a division and even if he beats Bellew I still wouldn't put him above Garcia because he has a better win in Judah and Matthysse this year. And I wouldn't rate him above Tim who put on a FOTY candidate against Ruslan and basically blanked a future HOFer in JMM. There are ZERO wins that Adonis has this year that comes close to those
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 21 2013, 02:37 PM) *
Correct in they posed a threat but I'm not giving him credit for cleaning out a division and he just got there. There are still names in that division like Bute, Pascal, Kovalev, and Hopkins. That's when I'll say he's even came close to cleaning out a division and even if he beats Bellew I still wouldn't put him above Garcia because he has a better win in Judah and Matthysse this year. And I wouldn't rate him above Tim who put on a FOTY candidate against Ruslan and basically blanked a future HOFer in JMM. There are ZERO wins that Adonis has this year that comes close to those

I'm sayin
xxxxxx
Floyd Mayweather has EARNED it this year. DOMINATING 2 guys coming off their biggest victories. I read somewhere that Guerrero hadn't lost in nearly 10 years and Canelo was 42-0. Bradley and Garcia would be next after Floyd. Stevenson is a good fighter who had a good year, but his wins came against guys who got embarrassed the previous fight. How would you give it to him?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 21 2013, 01:47 PM) *
The Guerrero win is secondary to the Canelo win though. Don't let them bully you out of your pick son! lol

In seriousness though, I wouldn't have a problem with Swift or Stevenson winning this award though.They put in serious work this year. That being said, I'm not getting this notion that Canelo is some hype job. He was the best 154 lber in the world. Let's not poo poo his win over Trout simply because Floyd beat him. If ANY other fighter beat Canelo after Canelo beat Trout, everyone would be on their dick. Canelo was and still is a top tier fighter. Caneli isn't just more popular than Ruslan, Matthysse and Cloud. He's also better than them. Floyd is just better than everyone else. Not just by a little bit either. Stevenson has another fight this year so he can essentially enhance his case even more.

THIS...entire post
Franchize
Stevenson has another fight this year so he could very well tip the scales in his favor. That being said, I admittedly have no knowledge of this guy he's facing. Anyone else know about him?
Dolimite
QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 21 2013, 10:47 AM) *

I am not letting them do anything. I just said that this award is a popularity contest. Canelo's name is the Ace in the hole. He ranks over all other competition. I think Bradley and Swift overall competition was better. Canelo is a solid fighter but he was way over his head with Mayweather. Again I would put Stevenson and even Leo Santa Cruz in the mix. But again, this is a popularity award. Floyd will get it, but I think others are more deserving.
Franchize
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Oct 22 2013, 11:21 AM) *
I am not letting them do anything. I just said that this award is a popularity contest. Canelo's name is the Ace in the hole. He ranks over all other competition. I think Bradley and Swift overall competition was better. Canelo is a solid fighter but he was way over his head with Mayweather. Again I would put Stevenson and even Leo Santa Cruz in the mix. But again, this is a popularity award. Floyd will get it, but I think others are more deserving.

I know. I was just joking around.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 22 2013, 10:12 AM) *
Stevenson has another fight this year so he could very well tip the scales in his favor. That being said, I admittedly have no knowledge of this guy he's facing. Anyone else know about him?

I may have seen him fight a couple of times, sometime last year. I remember when Cheesey was around here often, he would remind me of this international fights on Saturdays, and I caught quite a few of them. The name "Bellew" is ringing a bell, but I cant remember exactly who he fought...
emd01
Floyd without a doubt. He's dominating fighters that are winning fights big in 2 different weight classes. No doubt Stevenson is a beast but his last 2 opponents had lost, one to a smaller guy and the other to, no disrespect to BHop, a geriatric. No contest imo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.