Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the toughest fight for Floyd at 160 down?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Col Reb
What current fighter from 140-160 would be the toughest fight for Floyd, regardless of whether or not you believe the fight will happen? Let's have some fun with hypotheticals.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Nov 3 2013, 01:35 AM) *
What current fighter from 140-160 would be the toughest fight for Floyd, regardless of whether or not you believe the fight will happen? Let's have some fun with hypotheticals.

Crazy as it sounds, but I'd like to see Kieth Thurman get a crack at Mayweather, maybe 2 fights from now. Thats at 147. At 160, there's a lot of guys that would likely BEAT Mayweather. Guys at 160 are too big for him. He's going to have problems with taller fighters that have a reach advantage. Paul Williams would have beaten him, in my opinion. The only guy that May has fought, in probably the last 10 years that was taller and had a reach advantage was DLH. DLH troubled May with the jab. Bigger guys will do that to him.

Floyd gets a pass from me if he doesnt fight anyone at 160. I think thats waaay to hight for him. If Martinez was to come down to 154, I'd like to see that fight still. Not really sure how much Serge has in the tank though...
Plah
1. GGG
2. Tim
3. Broner
4. Sergio
5. Quillin
6. B Hop
7. Danny
8. Cotto
9. Pac
10. Khan

In that order I think
Franchize
Let me start by saying he shouldn't have to fight anyone at 160. That's ridiculous. Did we forget where he started? But in order of difficulty, here's how I have it:

1.Martinez
2.Quillin
3.Hopkins
4.Bradley
5.Broner
6.Khan
7.GGG
8.Pacquiao
9.Garcia
10.Cotto
mgrover
1. Tim
2. B Hop
3. GGG
4. Sergio
5. Quillin
6. Danny
7. Pac
8. Cotto
9. Khan
10. Broner
klonopinz
tim bradley hands down. i think mayweather should stay faraway from tim as he can. all the big middleweights would end up just like canelo, unable to catch floyd all night, and getting popped in the process. even hopkins ouldnt be able to catch floyd. pacmnan danny and cotto are all too slow now in my opinion. broner is to stupid, inexperienced and one dimensional, and khan is a joke. sergio wouldnt even make it through training camp without getting hurt, and quillen would just freeze up when he gets hit.

tim bradley might just beat mayweather. any given night, they would beat eachother.
p4pcrown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 3 2013, 12:35 PM) *
tim bradley hands down. i think mayweather should stay faraway from tim as he can. all the big middleweights would end up just like canelo, unable to catch floyd all night, and getting popped in the process. even hopkins ouldnt be able to catch floyd. pacmnan danny and cotto are all too slow now in my opinion. broner is to stupid, inexperienced and one dimensional, and khan is a joke. sergio wouldnt even make it through training camp without getting hurt, and quillen would just freeze up when he gets hit.

tim bradley might just beat mayweather. any given night, they would beat eachother.

Negative. Provodnikov gave Bradley problems and he loss decisively to Pacquiao. Mayweather makes easy work of Bradley. In order to beat Mayweather you have to pose a threat of power or be able to beat him at his own game and Bradley does neither. Lets not hype Bradley up just because he beat Marquez his last fight. Lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 3 2013, 11:35 AM) *

I haven't seen any version of Tim Bradley that would ever beat Mayweather Jr
mrchitown
If I had to pick based off this list then I'd say Martinez had the best chance and then maybe Bradley. Tim had earned a shot to fight Mayweather Jr, though I feel he lost to Manny he did come back and show toughness against Provodnikov and he basically blanked JMM. Bradley is athletic. Has good speed and decent foot work, but he can't crack an egg as far as punching goes. He ain't got a thing to keep Floyd from walking him down and peppering him with right hand leads

I will never understand where people think Golovkin will be a threat to Floyd, he's not even a threat to Ward. We gon see what GGG is made of when he moves up to SMW. He might have some problem there. He has a thin resume. Who has he beat that makes him a threat? and some are on his band wagon but I feel if and when he fights Ward people will stfu just like how they are now about Matthyse. When's the last time you heard his name lol. If GGG was to fight Floyd I think Floyd would have a belt around his waist. GGG is too slow, medicare foot work. He can cut the ring off well though and his punching power isn't he best thing he got going. But you can't hit what's not there. I saw some things in Golovkin last night that let's me known he has a long way to go to be elite. He's beatable

When you look at the fights that Mayweather has had trouble in. It came against fighters with experience. Just in recent memory. Shane had that one moment in the 2nd round but you don't see these young guys do what he did. He threw a decoy shot to the body and then went up top. Cotto, another experienced fighter. Gave him trouble in spots and had some success. Martinez has that awkward style, the power and speed to give Floyd some trouble. And his footwork is pretty good too. It would be interesting to see how Mayweather deals with the straight left from Martinez
jvo1800
Personally i would have to say Bradley would be his toughest fight right now. Bradley is very persistent with his attacks, sometimes to a fault but i think he could possibly steal rounds due to being a lot more active regardless if he's actually connecting or not. Floyd picks his shots and sometimes is very inactive during rounds which is not very crowd pleasing nor is it appealing to the judges when it comes down to the scorecards. The second reason is because of the lack of punching power from Floyd and Bradley's outstanding chin i think Tim could actually walk right through most of Floyd's punches. Now lets be clear, i definitely dont think Floyd would lose to ANYBODY right now.........but i would have to say Bradley would have the best shot just based on being very active with a bunch of elbow/arm/shoulder shots. To sum everything up i dont think it would be a tough fight for Floyd at all, but if i had to pick somebody to be the TOUGHEST challenge right now.......it would be Bradley
HyyerBlaze
Sergio the clear answer as he probably is the fastest guy on the list.

Did Khan really even have to be put as an option? Lmao
mgrover
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Nov 3 2013, 05:58 PM) *

Fastest? Khan and Pac probably take that. I think Khan is slightly faster than Pac.
HyyerBlaze
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 3 2013, 02:18 PM) *
Fastest? Khan and Pac probably take that. I think Khan is slightly faster than Pac.

Khan doesn't move fast defensively though...he has fast hands but gets hit..and has a glass jaw lol.
HyyerBlaze
Sergio gives him best fight but at his age and having to go down at weight think it would be a long night for him.
klonopinz
QUOTE (p4pcrown @ Nov 3 2013, 11:49 AM) *
Negative. Provodnikov gave Bradley problems and he loss decisively to Pacquiao. Mayweather makes easy work of Bradley. In order to beat Mayweather you have to pose a threat of power or be able to beat him at his own game and Bradley does neither. Lets not hype Bradley up just because he beat Marquez his last fight. Lol

haha power? really you cant be that stupid? oh wait yeah you must be that stupid. and yeah bradley can beat him at his on game, which is boxing. bradley can box his ass off, he outboxed marquez just like mayweather did, but in his on way. not as fancy, but just as effective. power means nothing to mayweather you fool. look at canelo, mosley, ortiz, de la hoya, hatton, whoever, all these idiots had power but it means nothing if you can catch the guy and your predictable. provodnikov only gave bradley problems because bradley chose to fight him toe to toe, and bradley beat him at his own fuckin game! thats sick IMO. but i wouldnt expect your dumbass to notice

Personal attacks and name-calling are not necessary for expressing this opinion. If you want to do things that way, there are other sites for it, but Fighthype isn't the place. You've been warned.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 3 2013, 12:10 PM) *
If I had to pick based off this list then I'd say Martinez had the best chance and then maybe Bradley. Tim had earned a shot to fight Mayweather Jr, though I feel he lost to Manny he did come back and show toughness against Provodnikov and he basically blanked JMM. Bradley is athletic. Has good speed and decent foot work, but he can't crack an egg as far as punching goes. He ain't got a thing to keep Floyd from walking him down and peppering him with right hand leads

I will never understand where people think Golovkin will be a threat to Floyd, he's not even a threat to Ward. We gon see what GGG is made of when he moves up to SMW. He might have some problem there. He has a thin resume. Who has he beat that makes him a threat? and some are on his band wagon but I feel if and when he fights Ward people will stfu just like how they are now about Matthyse. When's the last time you heard his name lol. If GGG was to fight Floyd I think Floyd would have a belt around his waist. GGG is too slow, medicare foot work. He can cut the ring off well though and his punching power isn't he best thing he got going. But you can't hit what's not there. I saw some things in Golovkin last night that let's me known he has a long way to go to be elite. He's beatable

When you look at the fights that Mayweather has had trouble in. It came against fighters with experience. Just in recent memory. Shane had that one moment in the 2nd round but you don't see these young guys do what he did. He threw a decoy shot to the body and then went up top. Cotto, another experienced fighter. Gave him trouble in spots and had some success. Martinez has that awkward style, the power and speed to give Floyd some trouble. And his footwork is pretty good too. It would be interesting to see how Mayweather deals with the straight left from Martinez

I think Bradleys activity would give Floyd trouble. But I agree martinez is his biggest threat

Khan will look good for a few rounds with his speed then Floyd (like everyone else) will figure him out.

Chi your on point as always.. except about Lucas, he can still best any other 140 pounder in the world. And if he got another crack at Danny i would still say its a close fight.
DigitalBoom
In the end it all comes down to hand speed, the faster the fighters hands are the better they will do. Ortiz = Slow, Guerrero = Slow, Canelo = Slow. Fighters who can showcase speed and power without having to set their feet are the big threat. I still stand by Paul Williams would've given Floyd hell and they all knew it...that reach advantage would've been trouble to overcome and for a fighter who likes to measure his opponents it's not a good look.

1. Pacquaio (hand speed alone is a big problem)...he will tap him whether he can win is debatable.
2. Provodnikov (If he learns how to cut off the ring like GGG does).
3. Martinez (Even washed up and old, his hands are still fast and he's got a reach advantage so there goes the jab).
4. GGG (If he can make 154 which he can because he's chubby at 160, the dudes ability to cut off the ring is awesome).
5. Tim Bradley (Bradley would make for a decent fight but it would be boring as hell)
p4pcrown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 3 2013, 02:42 PM) *
haha power? really you cant be that stupid? oh wait yeah you must be that stupid. and yeah bradley can beat him at his on game, which is boxing. bradley can box his ass off, he outboxed marquez just like mayweather did, but in his on way. not as fancy, but just as effective. power means nothing to mayweather you fool. look at canelo, mosley, ortiz, de la hoya, hatton, whoever, all these idiots had power but it means nothing if you can catch the guy and your predictable. provodnikov only gave bradley problems because bradley chose to fight him toe to toe, and bradley beat him at his own fuckin game! thats sick IMO. but i wouldnt expect your dumbass to notice

Lol..someone takes this personally. Damn dude you sound really hurt over a response to your comment. Need a hug? Haha....so sensitive! Smh.
mgrover
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 3 2013, 06:42 PM) *

3 months slurring isn't what I call beating them at there own game. But you do have a point. I still think power is needed, both power and skill is fairly uncommon.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 3 2013, 02:25 PM) *
I think Bradleys activity would give Floyd trouble. But I agree martinez is his biggest threat

Khan will look good for a few rounds with his speed then Floyd (like everyone else) will figure him out.

Chi your on point as always.. except about Lucas, he can still best any other 140 pounder in the world. And if he got another crack at Danny i would still say its a close fight.

When I spoke of Matthyse it was in regards to this bullshit about Gennady. I'm going to let these people keep falling in love with the boogeyman and then watch them stfu when he gets whipped back in the closet. True. There are junior welter's out there that he can beat but he ain't beating Garcia at no point in time. But you saw all this talk of Matthysse before and leading up to the fight, then after he gets whipped you don't hear nothing. So now they jump on the next boogeyman

Bradley's activity would cause some issues but he'd be facing someone 10x better then Manny and JMM. He has nothing to keep Floyd from walking him down and he don't have superior footwork. After 4rds Floyd would dominate that fight
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 3 2013, 06:30 PM) *
When I spoke of Matthyse it was in regards to this bullshit about Gennady. I'm going to let these people keep falling in love with the boogeyman and then watch them stfu when he gets whipped back in the closet. True. There are junior welter's out there that he can beat but he ain't beating Garcia at no point in time. But you saw all this talk of Matthysse before and leading up to the fight, then after he gets whipped you don't hear nothing. So now they jump on the next boogeyman

Bradley's activity would cause some issues but he'd be facing someone 10x better then Manny and JMM. He has nothing to keep Floyd from walking him down and he don't have superior footwork. After 4rds Floyd would dominate that fight

I've heard the stans in other forums for this dude are ridiculous. The guy is good, but he is beating guys he is suppose to beat.. Stevens is a solid power puncher, but that's it. When he stops fighting stepping stones and starts fighting opponents ill buy in but for now the ward talk should stop, any version of ward would probably pick this dude apart. Bute was handling him before he got stopped with that glass jaw of his, I swear him and amir should make a club or something.
Franchize
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 3 2013, 07:47 PM) *
I've heard the stans in other forums for this dude are ridiculous. The guy is good, but he is beating guys he is suppose to beat.. Stevens is a solid power puncher, but that's it. When he stops fighting stepping stones and starts fighting opponents ill buy in but for now the ward talk should stop, any version of ward would probably pick this dude apart. Bute was handling him before he got stopped with that glass jaw of his, I swear him and amir should make a club or something.

Golovkin fought Bute?

nevermind. I just saw it. Amateur fight. He rocked Bute but you're right. Bute was putting it on him.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 3 2013, 02:42 PM) *

Klonopinz, this kind of behavior will not be tolerated by the team. We encourage debates and back-and-forths, but keep this up and you're going to be banned from the site in a minute.

We're about boxing, not e-thugging on the internet.
checkleft
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 3 2013, 01:42 PM) *

Personal attacks and name-calling are not necessary for expressing this opinion. If you want to do things that way, there are other sites for it, but Fighthype isn't the place. You've been warned.

ohmy.gif
klonopinz
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Nov 3 2013, 12:58 PM) *

sergio isnt fast, he only looks fast next to the big slow middleweights hes faced. floyd would make him look ordinary
klonopinz
sorry maxpayne, didnt mean to hurt anyone;s feelings. i thought you guys were all hard asses from chicago. my bad
klonopinz
i just like to talk shit, it dont mean nothin. give money may and broner and tyson a warning as well
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 3 2013, 06:47 PM) *

Yeah a lot of people just gravitate towards the person whose knocking others out but we've seen time and time again fighters struggle when they face someone who can take their punches and it doesn't end well. I didn't know he fought Bute in the ams. Might have to check around for some video.
Cshel86
Wasn't GGG the guy who stopped Bute in the amateurs? I remember seeing that video, but Im not sure if it was GGG that did it. Im not sure if there are any tough fights out there for him at this point, maybe somebody will show us something next year. I honestly think a Garcia fight would be rather interesting though...
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 3 2013, 12:58 PM) *
I haven't seen any version of Tim Bradley that would ever beat Mayweather Jr

+1 x1000. AGain, Bradley does NOTHING better than Floyd in that ring. NOTHING.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 3 2013, 03:25 PM) *

Me no think so. EVERYONE is more active than Floyd coming into the fight, yet NONE of them are during said fight. This is NOT happenstance. Floyd has made fighters become "thinkers" first and stopped their natural reactions and/or reflexes. <<<< THAT'S SPELLS CURTAINS. Bradley, IMO, will be no different, in fact, I'll say his "never say die" or "I will NOT lose" mentality will likely get his "on" switch, "off'd". Where is Bradley's advantage or even $$$$ areas/attributes? I'm not saying Floyd is invincible, but if Bradley's the "answer", the question shouldn't be, "who will beat Floyd?"
sduck
In this order

Miguel Cotto
Amir Khan
Gennady Golovkin
Timothy Bradley
Bernard Hopkins
Sergio Martinez
Manny Pacquiao
Adrien Broner
Danny Garcia
Peter Quillin
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 4 2013, 12:41 PM) *
+1 x1000. AGain, Bradley does NOTHING better than Floyd in that ring. NOTHING.

Yeah, Bradley just doesn't match up well in any categories. But his activity and his desire to win is what will trouble Floyd. Handspeed, footwork, defense, accuracy, etc. There's no edge for Tim
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 4 2013, 12:53 PM) *
Me no think so. EVERYONE is more active than Floyd coming into the fight, yet NONE of them are during said fight. This is NOT happenstance. Floyd has made fighters become "thinkers" first and stopped their natural reactions and/or reflexes. <<<< THAT'S SPELLS CURTAINS. Bradley, IMO, will be no different, in fact, I'll say his "never say die" or "I will NOT lose" mentality will likely get his "on" switch, "off'd". Where is Bradley's advantage or even $$$$ areas/attributes? I'm not saying Floyd is invincible, but if Bradley's the "answer", the question shouldn't be, "who will beat Floyd?"

That's because their afraid of being countered. After 5 or 6rds, they hesitate. Bradley would be the same way
Cshel86
Calzaghe will sweat down to 160 and give Floyd all he can handle.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 4 2013, 06:45 PM) *

Now were talkin
BoxingStill#1
Sry folks, my vote was for Garcia and Bradley..

Why the hell are we entertaining Floyed at 160??

He will make Martinez come down to 154 if anything..

B-hop is smoke and mirrors
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 4 2013, 07:45 PM) *

When did the all time p4p king get into the convo?

Floyed shouldn't even think of this killer
BoxingEinstein

GGG would be the toughest since his above average middle weight power could be a resounding factor. Floyd is really a natural jr welter who just now filled out at welterweight.

Only guy near his weight class is really Bradley or Lara. Garcia would be easy work, he's nowhere near ready yet.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 4 2013, 07:19 PM) *
Now were talkin

No brother...now we're "cookin'"

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 4 2013, 09:14 PM) *
Sry folks, my vote was for Garcia and Bradley..

Why the hell are we entertaining Floyed at 160??

He will make Martinez come down to 154 if anything..

B-hop is smoke and mirrors

Funny how Bernard is willing to kill himself to make 160 for Floyd, but he wont even entertain the idea of coming down to 168 or even 160 for GGG. Weird, right? Lol

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 4 2013, 09:16 PM) *

I concur! Let's put things in perspective here, Floyd cant hang with smokin' Joe.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 4 2013, 11:05 PM) *
No brother...now we're "cookin'"

Funny how Bernard is willing to kill himself to make 160 for Floyd, but he wont even entertain the idea of coming down to 168 or even 160 for GGG. Weird, right? Lol

I concur! Let's put things in perspective here, Floyd cant hang with smokin' Joe.

YOU MFs are killing me!!!! LOL
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 4 2013, 05:53 PM) *
Yeah, Bradley just doesn't match up well in any categories. But his activity and his desire to win is what will trouble Floyd. Handspeed, footwork, defense, accuracy, etc. There's no edge for Tim

Yeah, Chi...his activity MIGHT be a problem, early, as I'm sure he and his team know they can't give away any "feeling out" rounds. They'd have to be active early and often. HOWEVER, all that "rah, rah" iiiiish is over about round 3 or 4. As far as a "desire to win", who is to say Bradley holds the patent on that attribute? Last time I checked, the thought of a loss didn't sit well with Mr. 45-0. I like Bradley, but I just don't see a category to where he's EVEN w/ Floyd.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 4 2013, 10:16 PM) *

Joe C is boxing's Chuck Norris. If Joe C had a daughter and she lost her virginity, Joe C would take it back.
xxxxxx
I don't understand the GGG & Martinez talk. They are both with HBO AND are MIDDLEWEIGHTS. I would love to see Mayweather try his hand at History once again, but this is a little too much to ask plus they fight for a different network. Peter Quillen holds a Middleweight Title and fights for Showtime. That would be much more logical than the other 2. And besides, isnt GGG already scheduled for a fight and Martinez likely fighting Cotto?
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Nov 5 2013, 07:25 AM) *
I don't understand the GGG & Martinez talk. They are both with HBO AND are MIDDLEWEIGHTS. I would love to see Mayweather try his hand at History once again, but this is a little too much to ask plus they fight for a different network. Peter Quillen holds a Middleweight Title and fights for Showtime. That would be much more logical than the other 2. And besides, isnt GGG already scheduled for a fight and Martinez likely fighting Cotto?

+1

Why would Floyed make that weight jump at this point? There's too much talent where he is at..

Floyed is cashing out, and wont take any unnecessary risk.

Edit: ifffffff GGG were to fight Floyed it would be an easy showcase imo.. GGG is crazy flatfooted and too slow. ( I'm obviously not convinced yet bout this guy)
Dolimite
The only thing that is going to beat Floyd at this point is Father Time. He isn't fighting at 160. Recently and this made me cringe and spit out my hot coco, Roy Jones said he would drop to 170 to fight Mayweather. In other absurd news, Lennox Lewis said he would cut his locks to fight Mayweather.

GGG hasn't proven shit and B Hop wants a big pay day. I want Floyd to clean out the entire 147 division. The fighters that I see him giving him slight issues:

Thurman
Bradley
Martinez

that is in no particular order. Bradley has heart, Martinez can box and Thurman is a hard hitter who can also box.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Nov 5 2013, 02:01 PM) *
The only thing that is going to beat Floyd at this point is Father Time. He isn't fighting at 160. Recently and this made me cringe and spit out my hot coco, Roy Jones said he would drop to 170 to fight Mayweather. In other absurd news, Lennox Lewis said he would cut his locks to fight Mayweather.

GGG hasn't proven shit and B Hop wants a big pay day. I want Floyd to clean out the entire 147 division. The fighters that I see him giving him slight issues:

Thurman
Bradley
Martinez

that is in no particular order. Bradley has heart, Martinez can box and Thurman is a hard hitter who can also box.

Well look who it is....somebody paid their alimony this month, they let you turn on the Internet again I see laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Nov 5 2013, 06:25 AM) *

The HBO angle is the problem but I think the reason those 2 are mentioned is because they've said they will come down in weight for the fight not have Floyd move up. Martinez who I said is his biggest threat has said he'd come down to as much as 150. And Gennady and his big mouth trainer said months ago and stated yesterday that they are willing to drop to 154 to fight Floyd. Whether we want to or not as long as Gennady keeps winning people will call more and more for that fight..but they should be calling on him to test himself at 168. For the record I don't care to see Floyd fight at MW, he's already a legend imo but if one of these two is willing to come down in weight for an ass whooping then that's on them.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 5 2013, 12:05 PM) *
Well look who it is....somebody paid their alimony this month, they let you turn on the Internet again I see laugh.gif

LOL!!! Nice...
Naw, I was on business in Toronto for a week, then I had to fly to Buffalo for 4 days on more business. My boss is a dick because he knows I hate cold weather. I had fun and Toronto and damn near shot myself in Buffalo!
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Nov 5 2013, 02:13 PM) *
LOL!!! Nice...
Naw, I was on business in Toronto for a week, then I had to fly to Buffalo for 4 days on more business. My boss is a dick because he knows I hate cold weather. I had fun and Toronto and damn near shot myself in Buffalo!

Next time go to Montreal, it's pretty nice there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.