Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "There's talented fighters and then there's gifted fighters"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Franchize
Ok so I was watching this weekend's events on a surprisingly solid HBO card. It occurred to me that there are a few fighters being promoted that are very talented and may make some noise for the time being. Andrade, for example, seems like one of those guys. Then I started mentally separating talented fighters from gifted fighters. There are plenty of talented guys who have the skills to be on P4P lists, obtain and retain belts, etc. Then there are guys who have the gifts to be able to be remembered for decades to come. Guys who are good enough to eventually go down as all time greats. I just wanted to see you guys opinion on who said fighters would be. Keep in mind, this is NOT a list of guys who ARE great or will be great. This is a list of guys I feel have the gifts to potentially BECOME great if they take the proper steps.

I'm not going to mention guys like Mayweather, Hopkins, Pacquiao, Mosley, Klitschko bros etc. They're already HOFers

Mikey Garcia. It's odd because he fights totally different than almost all of Robert Garcia's other fighters. The only one I could compare him to remotely in that camp is Robert Garcia himself. I think this kid is special though. I hope he doesn't develop bad habits in that gym with those punching bags like Rios. This kid is incredibly poised and patient in the ring. He has defense. He throws wicked combinations. His timing is very good on counters. I think if he takes the right steps, he can go down as an all time great fighter.

Canelo Alvarez: Sure, he was dominated by Floyd. He has great company. I still think he's an incredibly gifted kid who seems to get better every fight. I don't necessarily believe in moral victories and "learning experiences" when you lose that badly but I think he will certainly get better after that loss. I think he comes in his next few fights with the mindset of "I can't beat Floyd but I'm going to make all the rest of you motherfuckers pay for that."

Adrien Broner: look. The kid's a Grade A dickhead at times. It seems as if he doesn't take things serious enough. Never mind the sex tape and rap songs. I'm referring to the fact that, if you're going to be great, you can't be having super close fights with guys like Ponce De Leon and Paulie Malinaggi. Not to say those guys are bums, but you gotta step on the gas and show out against solid competition, especially when you haven't fought much of anybody outside of them. That being said, I'd be stupid to act like this kid isn't special. He has a special set of skills (Taken laugh.gif) Is he going to be the next Floyd Mayweather...no. But being the 1st Adrien Broner is not a bad consolation at all if he maximizes his full potential. The boy got skills, and as my good friend Mrchitown says so astutely I want to see him "cook".

Andre Ward: Historians may tell a different story when it's all said and done. Promotion, or the lack there of, may put Andre Ward into Winky Wright territory. A talented but unheralded guy who should be a superstar in the sport. Whatever the public perception of him ultimately becomes, there is no doubt that SOG is a special fighter. His mental approach to the game is simply far above his opponents. Dude is simply just better than everyone not named Floyd right now IMO. He SHOULD already be on some legendary fighters lists.

Guillermo Rigondeaux: Boxers dominate boxing. Are they the most "exciting"? Probably not to casual fans. That said, when you can box as good as this dude does, you should be a superstar in your sport. Bottom line is, I can't think of anyone in his division who can beat him, outside of a puncher's chance. That alone makes you a special kind of fighter.
ronaldjordan
QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 12 2013, 02:09 PM) *
Ok so I was watching this weekend's events on a surprisingly solid HBO card. It occurred to me that there are a few fighters being promoted that are very talented and may make some noise for the time being. Andrade, for example, seems like one of those guys. Then I started mentally separating talented fighters from gifted fighters. There are plenty of talented guys who have the skills to be on P4P lists, obtain and retain belts, etc. Then there are guys who have the gifts to be able to be remembered for decades to come. Guys who are good enough to eventually go down as all time greats. I just wanted to see you guys opinion on who said fighters would be. Keep in mind, this is NOT a list of guys who ARE great or will be great. This is a list of guys I feel have the gifts to potentially BECOME great if they take the proper steps.

I'm not going to mention guys like Mayweather, Hopkins, Pacquiao, Mosley, Klitschko bros etc. They're already HOFers

Mikey Garcia. It's odd because he fights totally different than almost all of Robert Garcia's other fighters. The only one I could compare him to remotely in that camp is Robert Garcia himself. I think this kid is special though. I hope he doesn't develop bad habits in that gym with those punching bags like Rios. This kid is incredibly poised and patient in the ring. He has defense. He throws wicked combinations. His timing is very good on counters. I think if he takes the right steps, he can go down as an all time great fighter.

Canelo Alvarez: Sure, he was dominated by Floyd. He has great company. I still think he's an incredibly gifted kid who seems to get better every fight. I don't necessarily believe in moral victories and "learning experiences" when you lose that badly but I think he will certainly get better after that loss. I think he comes in his next few fights with the mindset of "I can't beat Floyd but I'm going to make all the rest of you motherfuckers pay for that."

Adrien Broner: look. The kid's a Grade A dickhead at times. It seems as if he doesn't take things serious enough. Never mind the sex tape and rap songs. I'm referring to the fact that, if you're going to be great, you can't be having super close fights with guys like Ponce De Leon and Paulie Malinaggi. Not to say those guys are bums, but you gotta step on the gas and show out against solid competition, especially when you haven't fought much of anybody outside of them. That being said, I'd be stupid to act like this kid isn't special. He has a special set of skills (Taken laugh.gif) Is he going to be the next Floyd Mayweather...no. But being the 1st Adrien Broner is not a bad consolation at all if he maximizes his full potential. The boy got skills, and as my good friend Mrchitown says so astutely I want to see him "cook".

Andre Ward: Historians may tell a different story when it's all said and done. Promotion, or the lack there of, may put Andre Ward into Winky Wright territory. A talented but unheralded guy who should be a superstar in the sport. Whatever the public perception of him ultimately becomes, there is no doubt that SOG is a special fighter. His mental approach to the game is simply far above his opponents. Dude is simply just better than everyone not named Floyd right now IMO. He SHOULD already be on some legendary fighters lists.

Guillermo Rigondeaux: Boxers dominate boxing. Are they the most "exciting"? Probably not to casual fans. That said, when you can box as good as this dude does, you should be a superstar in your sport. Bottom line is, I can't think of anyone in his division who can beat him, outside of a puncher's chance. That alone makes you a special kind of fighter.

checkleft
Garcia comes from a boxing family, like Floyd.. this dude has been molded since he was in a crib to get it down to a science. Guys that grow up like that are hard to compete with
jvo1800
Broner to me is the next special thing in boxing. Yea i know he can be an asshole and do a lot of tasteless things at times, but i personally see him being great in the sport of boxing if he keeps his head on straight. IMO he's doing things that u just dont see fighters do at his age and thats fight with a lot of patience and discipline. A lot of the great fighters early in their career fought searching for the early K.O. with a lot of speed, power, and energy because they had the youth and the legs to do so, but Broner to me fights like a ten to twelve year vet already which is scary. His defense is top notch and he doesnt waste energy on a bunch of unnecessary punches.......i wouldnt put him in the gifted category, but i would say he's very talented cause the only totally gifted fighter i've ever seen is my boy RJJr. Roy just did shit in the ring that u just cant teach at any gym and i dont think we'll see another prime RJJr again.
mrchitown
Ward already great...but back on subject. In this new generation of boxing....I've said it once and I'll say it again Ward and Broner rule. Sure you have Gary Russel Jr, he has some great talent and potential, Mikey Garcia, Rigo, and Terrence Crawford is another who has GOAT potential. I don't see it in Canelo, you can't be great with limited ring IQ and stamina issues. He's going to struggle even against fighters with an avg skill set but have good stamina

I also think some of them former Olympians like Terrell Gaushea, and Errol Spence Jr have that potential as well. But when it comes to this new wave of boxers, Broner and Ward are atop of the throne. I think Broner will ultimately be the one to make the most money and for obvious reasons, but Andre is going to be the creme de la creme when we look back on this era of boxers
wolterb
Solid
klonopinz
andre ward is no spring chicken, hes in his 30s i believe just like golovkin and rigondeaux. these guys are in there physical prime but have some promotional issues that will limit their potential in the history of boxing. i think their time is now. the young guns like danny garcia, broner, mikey, and canelo still have another decade to mature as fighters.

i see canelo being the next oscar, very exciting to watch, KOs, always picks good opponents and is a mega super star.

i see broner more or less filling mayweathers position.

i seee danny garcia sharing a piece of the mayweather pie, but maybe suprising us along the way winning some fights nobody thought he could.

i see mikey as the next pacxquiao, blowing through weight classes and KOing champions left and right. hell get hit in the process,but he will conquer all.

i dont know what the future holds for boxings up and comers, and also the current kings, but we all know boxing has produced some incredible late bloomers, such as hopkins, martinez, and marquez, so we may see some mediocre fighters transform themselves into greats as well.

tim bradley, for some reason this guys stands out to me, he wont be denied. he will take a piece of the game for himself. even though nobody wants this dude(fans), i think hes gonna be here for awhile, and hes gonna keep pissing us off with big wins, so fuck it you might as well become a fan. i know i have.
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 13 2013, 06:36 PM) *
andre ward is no spring chicken, hes in his 30s i believe just like golovkin and rigondeaux. these guys are in there physical prime but have some promotional issues that will limit their potential in the history of boxing. i think their time is now. the young guns like danny garcia, broner, mikey, and canelo still have another decade to mature as fighters.

i see canelo being the next oscar, very exciting to watch, KOs, always picks good opponents and is a mega super star.

i see broner more or less filling mayweathers position.

i seee danny garcia sharing a piece of the mayweather pie, but maybe suprising us along the way winning some fights nobody thought he could.

i see mikey as the next pacxquiao, blowing through weight classes and KOing champions left and right. hell get hit in the process,but he will conquer all.

i dont know what the future holds for boxings up and comers, and also the current kings, but we all know boxing has produced some incredible late bloomers, such as hopkins, martinez, and marquez, so we may see some mediocre fighters transform themselves into greats as well.

tim bradley, for some reason this guys stands out to me, he wont be denied. he will take a piece of the game for himself. even though nobody wants this dude(fans), i think hes gonna be here for awhile, and hes gonna keep pissing us off with big wins, so fuck it you might as well become a fan. i know i have.

Ward isn't even 30 yet. I like what you said about Tim but no way will he be anywhere near as great as Ward is. Ward ain't even came close to losing and Tim arguably lost against Manny and if he comes over to GB we will see more of what he's made of. Andre is so good that there's no one I. And around his weight class that can give him a run, much like Floyd. I can't say the same for the rest of the crop, including Bradley
checkleft
Bradley is a lot like Danny Garcia in that manner, he isn't great at anything but he's pretty good at every thing and he always finds a way to win.
mrwigi
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 12 2013, 03:31 PM) *
Garcia comes from a boxing family, like Floyd.. this dude has been molded since he was in a crib to get it down to a science. Guys that grow up like that are hard to compete with

+1
klonopinz
i do recall ward saying something the lines of he has only 5 or 6 years left in the sport until he retires, and that he is not bernard hopkins. so hes 29, he is in his prime, and he plans on having a good rn for the next few years, but compared to broner and canelo, hes got much less time. i believe hes in the same boat as rigo and ggg, theyre looking for big fights for the next 5 years and they are out. these guys are medium rare right now, they have "cooked" broner and canelo were just taken out of the package and put onto the grill.
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 14 2013, 10:27 PM) *
i do recall ward saying something the lines of he has only 5 or 6 years left in the sport until he retires, and that he is not bernard hopkins. so hes 29, he is in his prime, and he plans on having a good rn for the next few years, but compared to broner and canelo, hes got much less time. i believe hes in the same boat as rigo and ggg, theyre looking for big fights for the next 5 years and they are out. these guys are medium rare right now, they have "cooked" broner and canelo were just taken out of the package and put onto the grill.

Canelo ain't even on the grill yet. Him and Ward shouldn't even be in the same paragraph, Andre is looking for big money fights. That's it. And you got to figure with his current resume and the fights on the horizon like Chavez Jr, GGG, Stevenson, Kovalev and who knows who comes thru the ranks in that time. Dude is already great. All he had to do is keep cementing his legacy. Canelo is not what you people make him out to be. How you gon be great with stamina issues and mediocre defense? He getting tagged at ease by natural 140lbers and that's including Floyd. I'm trying to see what people see in Canelo besides his marketability. He's talented but I never saw greatness in his future....Rigo, Ward, and GGG are all better fighters then Alvarez. When he fights real fighters in his weight class like Lara and others and them moves up and fights real 160lbers then we can get a fair reading on him. Many outside of Texas think he lost to Trout lol. Watch how many losses pile up for Canelo when he fights a Lara or a Molina.
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 15 2013, 02:11 PM) *
Canelo ain't even on the grill yet. Him and Ward shouldn't even be in the same paragraph, Andre is looking for big money fights. That's it. And you got to figure with his current resume and the fights on the horizon like Chavez Jr, GGG, Stevenson, Kovalev and who knows who comes thru the ranks in that time. Dude is already great. All he had to do is keep cementing his legacy. Canelo is not what you people make him out to be. How you gon be great with stamina issues and mediocre defense? He getting tagged at ease by natural 140lbers and that's including Floyd. I'm trying to see what people see in Canelo besides his marketability. He's talented but I never saw greatness in his future....Rigo, Ward, and GGG are all better fighters then Alvarez. When he fights real fighters in his weight class like Lara and others and them moves up and fights real 160lbers then we can get a fair reading on him. Many outside of Texas think he lost to Trout lol. Watch how many losses pile up for Canelo when he fights a Lara or a Molina.

I agree for the most part. But I think he can beat molina, not outbox him, but I think he has the goods to hurt him bad. But I think Lara stops him, no way he can handle laras accuracy and speed.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 15 2013, 06:38 PM) *
I agree for the most part. But I think he can beat molina, not outbox him, but I think he has the goods to hurt him bad. But I think Lara stops him, no way he can handle laras accuracy and speed.

I just can't give Canelo too much props. I like him, not as sold on him as others but I just want to see him face some stiff competition. Everybody he's fought with the exception of Trout and Mayweather Jr, he was supposed to beat. He faced adversity in both his fights this year and look shaky in one and failed in the other. I'm not sold on him beating Molina, Carlos is no slouch and his resume is superior to Alvarez
klonopinz
canelo would KO molina. are you kiding me? molina is a slow bum. so he got schooled by one of the greatest fighters of all time, hes 22. hes got a lot to learn, and hes got a long jurney ahead, but i promise you once he cooks he will be a sight to see.
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 16 2013, 06:06 PM) *
canelo would KO molina. are you kiding me? molina is a slow bum. so he got schooled by one of the greatest fighters of all time, hes 22. hes got a lot to learn, and hes got a long jurney ahead, but i promise you once he cooks he will be a sight to see.

Molina will give him problems, Canelo will always have issues with fighters who can actually box, Lara will counter Canelo so bad he'd wonder why he started boxing in the first place. And he wouldn't have got schooled by Floyd if he hadn't of got that gift decision in Texas. I too believe he will get better but he's not going to be the leader of the new gen of fighters. He will cook, no doubt but he won't sizzle, elite fighters don't get fatigued in 3rds. I'm still waiting to hear what attributes that he has that puts him on the path to greatness. He will eventually have to move up to middleweight, that's going to be interesting to see how he fairs there.
Cshel86
Let dat boy Canelo cook
checkleft

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 16 2013, 07:06 PM) *

Man don't go throwing the B word around, molina is far from a bum. I agree with you on thinking canelo can beat him but if molina was such a bum canelo would have fought him a long time ago and added him to the long list of bums he already has fought.

Can't be disrespecting good fighters like that and consider yourself a "fan" of the sport bro.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 16 2013, 11:26 PM) *
Let dat boy Canelo cook

He been cooking with Broner. Cant you tell by the wright gains laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 17 2013, 02:13 PM) *
He been cooking with Broner. Cant you tell by the wright gains laugh.gif

Certainly!

laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2013, 09:17 PM) *
Certainly!

laugh.gif

He been quiet lately, hopefully that's a sign that he's shedding the weight and being serious about this fight, but ain't no lie he ate good this summer lmao
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.