Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If Cotto signs to fight Sergio for $15M, will Bob get options on Cotto?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
I'm wondering if that's why the dollar figure is so high. If Cotto beats Martinez (which I think he will), he could rematch Floyd for the MW title in an even bigger money fight. The question is this: should Cotto take the $15M if it means he's back with Top Rank (or Bob has options on him) and it rules out a Floyd fight?
jtiizzle
Last time cotto got I the ring with a southpaw with speed and power he got stopped brutally horrible stylistic matchup for cotto he gets pot shotted to death
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Dec 1 2013, 11:05 PM) *
I'm wondering if that's why the dollar figure is so high. If Cotto beats Martinez (which I think he will), he could rematch Floyd for the MW title in an even bigger money fight. The question is this: should Cotto take the $15M if it means he's back with Top Rank (or Bob has options on him) and it rules out a Floyd fight?

I think Cotto beats Martinez also but he should not re-sign with TR regardless of the dollar amount he is poised to make vs Sergio and yes, Bob will have options on him should he do this bout vs SM. We know that BA and DK both or just about any Promotion company for that matter always impose certain dibs on at least 2-4 fights on any fighter if they use their banner to promote the fight, these practices are wrong according to the Muhammad Ali Act but since boxing is so corrupt and there is no enforcement of the rules and most fighters cannot afford the legal representation to take these matters to court that will keep being continued until the fighter runs out of money and the Promoter still has big enough bank to drag it out, therefore most fighters don't even bother to pursue the matter and simply give in to these contract deals with the devil(s).
AZWildCat
I think Bob gave him 15 just to spight GBP.....being a promotional free agent right now with a name is good for business. Only time Will tell
mrchitown
Like I've said before, Miguel fight for the most paper. When I read the article I went straight for the dollar amount. Miguel is a great fighter but he's not a very intelligent businessman. Arum pulled out the big guns just to stop him from going back to GB. He's going to take a $15mil beat down. People keep bringing up injuries with Martinez but Cotto is shop worn and too beat down to win this one. He's going to make it interesting for the first half of the fight but after round 6, he's going to be eating those left hands on his way to being stopped in maybe the 10th or 11th round

HBO may have some fight left in them. Having 2 of the 3 real draws in the sport gives them a little edge. But I wonder why they don't have any of the boxers who fight on their network under exclusive contracts. That could lead to trouble down the line
Cshel86
$15M??? Pffffff

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

He didn't even make that against Floyd, so how in the heck is he gonna make that against Martinez??? Will they be splitting this $15M??? Nobody makes that much money while under Bob's umbrella, promotional free agent or not. And just how much is Martinez gonna make, if Miguel gets $15M?

Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Dec 2 2013, 08:42 AM) *
I think Bob gave him 15 just to spight GBP.....being a promotional free agent right now with a name is good for business. Only time Will tell

History has shown us that guys like Miguel, are the most "non-business-minded" people to walk the face of the Earth. He came out big in the Floyd fight, then went on and took a Trout fight. WHY??? Smh

Now he's back with Bob, because it's clear that he cant handle business on his own terms. Being a promotional free agent is good for business...if you know what you're doing. laugh.gif
BoxingStill#1
I think the 15 mil is part of him being the free agent. Bob trynna lure him back.. but Idk
BrutUalBK
Is it possible that the 15M could be part of the deal that Bob made with him as sort of an advance on the next 2 fights? Who knows with crooked Bob Arum.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 2 2013, 12:57 PM) *
I think the 15 mil is part of him being the free agent. Bob trynna lure him back.. but Idk

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Dec 2 2013, 02:05 PM) *
Is it possible that the 15M could be part of the deal that Bob made with him as sort of an advance on the next 2 fights? Who knows with crooked Bob Arum.

Both of yall made GREAT points with two key words that yall used..."lure" and "advance"...those are Bob's favorite tactics. No way in hell Cotto will ever be a bigger star than Tito, and I'm not even sure Tito cracked those type of paydays...well, not in one fight anyway.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 2 2013, 01:03 PM) *
History has shown us that guys like Miguel, are the most "non-business-minded" people to walk the face of the Earth.

I realized that when he had trouble making weight all these years. He just hired a nutritionists this last fight and made weight at what...1 1/2 to 2 weeks out.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 2 2013, 01:03 PM) *
History has shown us that guys like Miguel, are the most "non-business-minded" people to walk the face of the Earth.

because it's clear that he cant handle busine/ss on his own terms. Being a promotional free agent is good for business...if you know what you're doing. laugh.gif

no argument there! He could of took a money fight
emd01
Cotto is one of my favs but he is retarded if he keeps fucking around with Arum. He'd better be watching Mannys money go "poof"!
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Dec 2 2013, 05:43 PM) *
I realized that when he had trouble making weight all these years. He just hired a nutritionists this last fight and made weight at what...1 1/2 to 2 weeks out.

no argument there! He could of took a money fight

I didn't know that he hired a nutritionist...had no freakin' idea, lol.

Ask anybody around here, I was hurt (as if I know Cotto personally) when he took AND lost that Trout fight, and left himself in the retard's seat, while Canelo was able to make demands (with no right whatsoever). Oh yeah...it's true, my feelings were hurt like a broad's.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (emd01 @ Dec 2 2013, 08:25 PM) *
Cotto is one of my favs but he is retarded if he keeps fucking around with Arum. He'd better be watching Mannys money go "poof"!

Same here. Where there's smoke, there's fire. We can't keep hearing whispers and all-out nationwide reports about his money looking funny, and NONE of it is true?! Yeah right. Same with Floyd, some of his money had to be looking funny after a while...it was just too many reports of it.
Hotsauce
15 mill??? I don't believe that
mrchitown
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Dec 3 2013, 08:02 AM) *
15 mill??? I don't believe that

Neither does Martinez's team. Nice little jab at Schaefer in there too.

http://www.boxingscene.com/martinezs-advis...el-cotto--72235
Dolimite
Cotto is the only person that does not know that he is now and forever the property of Bob Arum. when he retires he will realize the con job that was his relationship with Bob. If Bob does not pay pac 15 million why should we believe Cotto will get that much? I swear, boxers need to be educated on not getting cheated. Just look at Tyson!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 3 2013, 05:07 PM) *
Cotto is the only person that does not know that he is now and forever the property of Bob Arum. when he retires he will realize the con job that was his relationship with Bob. If Bob does not pay pac 15 million why should we believe Cotto will get that much? I swear, boxers need to be educated on not getting cheated. Just look at Tyson!

Exactly!
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 3 2013, 05:34 PM) *
Exactly!

People believe in Santa and chics believe that Steve Harvey's books will get them a man. So why can't dumb ass fans and Cotto believe this?
klonopinz
im guessing this fight would be on PPV? either this or he fights canelo in march on PPV. either way hes got a nice check coming to him
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 4 2013, 12:53 PM) *
People believe in Santa and chics believe that Steve Harvey's books will get them a man. So why can't dumb ass fans and Cotto believe this?

Hey, some people still believe in the Easter Bunny...wouldn't wanna ruin anything for them. Let them think what they want, lol

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Dec 4 2013, 07:18 PM) *
im guessing this fight would be on PPV? either this or he fights canelo in march on PPV. either way hes got a nice check coming to him

It sure as hell better be. Not that I would truly wanna pay for it, but you'd have to beg the question as to how Cotto is going to make $15M if the fight is on premium cable. Guarantees are one thing, and back-end money is another...but I've yet to see a fighter make high end 7-figure paydays or 8 figure paydays on HBO and Showtime alone.

Those type of paydays, go to the upper echelon guys on PPV...not to say that every main event fighter on PPV gets 8 figure paydays either...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.