Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preview and Comments For HBO/Showtime Duel Cards
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Boxing Hits Both Channels on Saturday Night. Comment on the better card. How the fights will play out: (Credit: Fightnights.com)

On Showtime:
Time: 9:00pm ETDevon Alexander vs. Shawn Porter - IBF welterweight titleco-feature Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi - welterweightAustin Trout 26 W 1 L 0 D 14 KOs vs. Erislandy Lara 18 W 1 L 2 D 12 KOs - light middleweightSakio Bika 32 W 5 L 2 D 21 KOs vs. Anthony Dirrell 26 W 0 L 0 D 22 KOs - super middleweight

Are all four fights being shown? My cable guide shows a 4hr 30min time frame. I'll take
  • Porter SD
  • Judah-Malinaggi-DRAW
  • Trout UD (Close)
  • Dirrell UD (Wide)
It will be a tactical night of boxing. For pure skill Trout-Lara will be the best fight on the card. Judah-Malinaggi will be sloppy, It will be close. Paulie I think won't win it and he will rant about politics in boxing going against him. If Judah doesn't crumble like he did against Khan this is a 50/50 fight.

These fights will be close, except for the Direll fight, look for debated and maybe controversial scoring in at least two of them.

On HBO:

Time: 9:45pm ETJoseph Agbeko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux - WBO WBA super bantamweight titleco-feature James Kirkland vs. Glen Tapia - light middleweightMatthew Macklin 29 W 5 L 0 D 19 KOs vs. Willie Nelson 20 W 1 L 1 D 12 KOs - middleweight

Tactical main event. Agbeko gets picked to pieces by Ringo.. Kirkland KO's Tapia. Nelson outboxes Macklin. Results:
  • Agbeko UD (Wide)
  • Kirkland KO 5
  • Nelson UD (Wide.)
For me. Action-wise, the Kirkland fight stands out. However, overall I think Showtime has the more competitive and better card.

Jack

mrchitown
I think the best fight out of both networks will be the Rigondeauz-Abgeko fight but Showtime has the better all around card
AZWildCat

• Porter SD
  • Judah-Malinaggi-DRAW
  • Trout UD (Close)
  • Dirrell UD (Wide)
    [/lis
    [list]
  • Agbeko UD (Wide)
  • Kirkland KO 5
  • Nelson UD (Wide.)
For me. Action-wise, the Kirkland fight stands out. However, overall I think Showtime has the more competitive and better card.

Jack
[/quote]
Alexander UD, I just don't think porter has what it takes to beat Devon. he may be boring as fuck but he gets it done.

If zab and paulie fight anything like they did in their last fights I can't pick a clear winner. (if zab gets that ko Broner not gonna be looking too hot next week.)

I wanna say that trout would win by UD but Lara has shown to be ...you know what....trout UD.

Direll SD,

Rigo ko 7

Kirkland UD

Macklin UD or late no
Cshel86
It looks as though the Showtime card airs at 8PM ET, and the HBO card airs at 9:45PM ET, so I may be stuck watching Alexander/Porter...if I don't decide to sort socks. Alexander's name and his mediocre opponents just suck the life outta me and this card...I mean, just go away Devon...especially if you aren't gonna fight somebody noteworthy. Porter's grill and that nasty fro of his, just blows me.

Gambit808
Though I'm ridin with Zab in this fight, I just feel like the favor will be for Paulie to win it if it's close.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 2 2013, 08:57 PM) *
It looks as though the Showtime card airs at 8PM ET, and the HBO card airs at 9:45PM ET, so I may be stuck watching Alexander/Porter...if I don't decide to sort socks. Alexander's name and his mediocre opponents just suck the life outta me and this card...I mean, just go away Devon...especially if you aren't gonna fight somebody noteworthy. Porter's grill and that nasty fro of his, just blows me.

Just as I predict there will be close decision fights that night, there will also be Sock Sorting by CShel! LOL! Alexander is definitely a "do lanudry" kind of fighter! hahaha! Unless he's in with a banger/brawler, which I don't see from Porter. Malinaggi-Judah may be call for another batch of laundry and sock sorting. Ringo-Agbeko might be in moments. BUT Ringo's got power when he wants to use it. Agebeko won't be able to get to him in most cases.

Jack
Plah
Trout vs Lara will be great! (I hope). Same with Rigo vs Agbeko. I don't see how Judah will beat Paulie especially when Paulie just signed with Al.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 2 2013, 10:38 PM) *
Just as I predict there will be close decision fights that night, there will also be Sock Sorting by CShel! LOL! Alexander is definitely a "do lanudry" kind of fighter! hahaha! Unless he's in with a banger/brawler, which I don't see from Porter. Malinaggi-Judah may be call for another batch of laundry and sock sorting. Ringo-Agbeko might be in moments. BUT Ringo's got power when he wants to use it. Agebeko won't be able to get to him in most cases.

Jack

Alexander just wears me down...dude had so much potential, then he seemed to have lost his fire along the way. I think Porter will lay it all on the line and give into the crowd's pressure (read: wanting them to hurry, so they can see the main event).

I'm not so sure that Agbeko/Rigo lasts long, because Agbeko puts it all on the line, regardless of the opponent. As long as he doesn't start whining and complaining to the ref, then we'll have a good fight. I think he can drop Rigo...who cant??? You just gotta be willing to throw with confidence and catch him backing out of an exchange...it's been done before.

I hope to GOD that Lara knocks Trout's ass out...cant stand that dude. He had all of the tools to beat Canelo, and he gave it all away. He made Canelo seem more "elite" than people were making him out to be. He talked all of that shit to get the fight, had to sign his life away (read: signed for the fight, with that silly no rematch clause), then he went out there and didn't impose his will.

Can't wait to see how Dirrell/Bika turns out! It's about time that at least ONE of the Dirrell brothers makes something of themselves...bunch of talented morons. Lol

Last but not least, I'm not even sure how Judah/Malignaggi will play out. It all depends on which Zab shows up, and it also depends on what Zab has in front of him (who he can fight next). Paulie's not gonna knock anybody out, so I expect him to box his way through.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 3 2013, 09:19 PM) *
Alexander just wears me down...dude had so much potential, then he seemed to have lost his fire along the way. I think Porter will lay it all on the line and give into the crowd's pressure (read: wanting them to hurry, so they can see the main event).

I'm not so sure that Agbeko/Rigo lasts long, because Agbeko puts it all on the line, regardless of the opponent. As long as he doesn't start whining and complaining to the ref, then we'll have a good fight. I think he can drop Rigo...who cant??? You just gotta be willing to throw with confidence and catch him backing out of an exchange...it's been done before.

I hope to GOD that Lara knocks Trout's ass out...cant stand that dude. He had all of the tools to beat Canelo, and he gave it all away. He made Canelo seem more "elite" than people were making him out to be. He talked all of that shit to get the fight, had to sign his life away (read: signed for the fight, with that silly no rematch clause), then he went out there and didn't impose his will.

Can't wait to see how Dirrell/Bika turns out! It's about time that at least ONE of the Dirrell brothers makes something of themselves...bunch of talented morons. Lol

Last but not least, I'm not even sure how Judah/Malignaggi will play out. It all depends on which Zab shows up, and it also depends on what Zab has in front of him (who he can fight next). Paulie's not gonna knock anybody out, so I expect him to box his way through.

Good calls,

I thought Trout beat Canelo. For me it was a draw to two point edge for either guy. No way the wide score that the judges had.

Jack
Franchize
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Dec 2 2013, 08:47 PM) *
I think the best fight out of both networks will be the Rigondeauz-Abgeko fight but Showtime has the better all around card

I agree. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but given how good this Showtime card is, it's perplexing to me that a rival promoter would put their fighter out there on this date. Do you think this is Arum saying "Fuck you Rigondeaux. Not only do I not care about your fight, I'm going to put it on the same day as a Showtime card that's much better"?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 3 2013, 11:15 PM) *
Good calls,

I thought Trout beat Canelo. For me it was a draw to two point edge for either guy. No way the wide score that the judges had.

Jack

I feel myself being more and more generous as I watch that fight. Trout wasn't fighting with much confidence, and truthfully, there wasn't much action going on. With that in mind, those rounds could've gone either way. I gave most of those rounds to Canelo.

People make it a point to say how gassed Canelo was, midway through the fight, but he was the one throwing with confidence and landing the bigger shots. Did he have his way with Trout? He could've, because Trout's confidence was shot after he got put on the canvas, and it showed throughout the remainder of the fight.

I just think that it will be the same in the Lara fight. There may not be that much action, but best believe, Lara will be the one that throws the noteworthy shots. Think about it, there wasn't much action in the Canelo/Trout fight, which left rounds in the air, and Canelo was awarded those rounds. Lara is more equipped to deal with Trout, and his movement and quick hands, will give Trout hell.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 4 2013, 10:21 AM) *
I agree. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but given how good this Showtime card is, it's perplexing to me that a rival promoter would put their fighter out there on this date. Do you think this is Arum saying "Fuck you Rigondeaux. Not only do I not care about your fight, I'm going to put it on the same day as a Showtime card that's much better"?

Pretty much
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 4 2013, 12:31 PM) *
I feel myself being more and more generous as I watch that fight. Trout wasn't fighting with much confidence, and truthfully, there wasn't much action going on. With that in mind, those rounds could've gone either way. I gave most of those rounds to Canelo.

People make it a point to say how gassed Canelo was, midway through the fight, but he was the one throwing with confidence and landing the bigger shots. Did he have his way with Trout? He could've, because Trout's confidence was shot after he got put on the canvas, and it showed throughout the remainder of the fight.

I just think that it will be the same in the Lara fight. There may not be that much action, but best believe, Lara will be the one that throws the noteworthy shots. Think about it, there wasn't much action in the Canelo/Trout fight, which left rounds in the air, and Canelo was awarded those rounds. Lara is more equipped to deal with Trout, and his movement and quick hands, will give Trout hell.

Pretty much

Could this go to a decision that we see bullshit happening? (Williams-Lara) Where Lara becomes a victim again? I just think that most of these fights have the potential to be very close and perhaps controversal. Expect distance fights and a long night of DVR recording if you record this Showtime card. I think I am going to watch the HBO card first. Than maybe split my viewing over two nights for the four-fight Showtime card.

What is good is that we have more than two fights on both networks!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 4 2013, 03:27 PM) *
Could this go to a decision that we see bullshit happening? (Williams-Lara) Where Lara becomes a victim again? I just think that most of these fights have the potential to be very close and perhaps controversal. Expect distance fights and a long night of DVR recording if you record this Showtime card. I think I am going to watch the HBO card first. Than maybe split my viewing over two nights for the four-fight Showtime card.

What is good is that we have more than two fights on both networks!

Jack

I'm not even sure if we'll see a Williams/Lara type of decision. It's almost like only hardcore fans care about a Lara/Trout fight, so, if the judges really wanna spite us, then they'll give us another Martirosyan/Lara type of decision...some type of draw. I say that because neither guy has anything huge on the horizon...well, nothing that huge that force the judges to give us shitty cards.

Trout has the ability to make a fight boring, and Lara...well, it depends on which Lara shows up. If the Lara that carefully seeks and destroys actually shows up, then we'll see something good. If the "content to play it safe" Lara shows up, then we'll have a snoozer.

There's a silver lining here though...both of them are southpaws, so the fight should flow, rather have those weird standstills and tangle fests that conventional and southpaw fighters engage in, when one or the other doesn't know how to effectively get inside.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 4 2013, 09:21 AM) *

Ha, I wouldn't be surprised if it was his way of saying Rigo doesn't draw viewers and this and that and ten to validate his claims of Rigo not being high on the fans radars. Arum is a spiteful little bastard, that we all know
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 4 2013, 02:44 PM) *
I'm not even sure if we'll see a Williams/Lara type of decision. It's almost like only hardcore fans care about a Lara/Trout fight, so, if the judges really wanna spite us, then they'll give us another Martirosyan/Lara type of decision...some type of draw. I say that because neither guy has anything huge on the horizon...well, nothing that huge that force the judges to give us shitty cards.

Trout has the ability to make a fight boring, and Lara...well, it depends on which Lara shows up. If the Lara that carefully seeks and destroys actually shows up, then we'll see something good. If the "content to play it safe" Lara shows up, then we'll have a snoozer.

There's a silver lining here though...both of them are southpaws, so the fight should flow, rather have those weird standstills and tangle fests that conventional and southpaw fighters engage in, when one or the other doesn't know how to effectively get inside.

I agree,

The fighters on the Showtime card aren't really "keep asses in the seats" type of fighters where the judges are going to be influenced to protect a guy too much. Paulie Malinaggi as pointed out is with Al Hayman. Judah has however been given so many second, third, and fourth chances. You have two fighters who have several losses on their records, but it's a "Brooklyn Special." so maybe Paulie and Zab will give a better fight than expected.

Some very good 50/50 tactical matches on the Showtime card. Hard to pick winners on some of these fights. Trout-Lara has been called "A boxing purist's dream" according to one writer, so we'll see what happens.

Jack
The Original MrFactor
Riding with Shawn Porter. I think he beats Devon. Devon hasnt won a notable fight in a few years. Randall Bailey?? He should have gotten the L vs Kotelnik and Matthyse. i think Shawn Porter cashes him out here.

I think Zab Judah stops Paulie Malignaggi.

Lara gets a split decision against Trout.

Sakio Bika Beats Dirrell by SD.

On HBO

Rigo comfy D12 against Agbeko.

I dont know enough about Glenn Tapia or Willie Nelson to really comment on those fights.

Showtime KO 5 over HBO. Showtime's card is much better. Looking forward to December 14th too.
mrchitown
He beat Maidana. How is that not a notable win, I haven't seen anything from Porter to make me believe he was ready for this stage or that he could beat a fighter like Devon. Porter is a poor man's Shane Mosley, instead of fighting like the Mosley of old, he fights like the Mosley of now. If Devon loses to him then he should be on gatekeeper status
xxxxxx
The Showtime card is better on paper, but Boxing isn't always fought that way so we will see. The Zab-Paulie fight stands out to me the most, I'm looking forward to that one.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Dec 5 2013, 02:30 AM) *
He beat Maidana. How is that not a notable win, I haven't seen anything from Porter to make me believe he was ready for this stage or that he could beat a fighter like Devon. Porter is a poor man's Shane Mosley, instead of fighting like the Mosley of old, he fights like the Mosley of now. If Devon loses to him then he should be on gatekeeper status

I forgot about that win. Prepare for Devon to become a gatekeeper.
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 5 2013, 04:45 AM) *
I forgot about that win. Prepare for Devon to become a gatekeeper.

Haha it would surprise the hell outbid me if he lost but I wouldn't mind seeing him non gatekeeper status. I had high hopes for him when he first won the belt and he should be right up there with Tim Bradley but he's under achieved in his career
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 4 2013, 04:15 PM) *
I agree,

The fighters on the Showtime card aren't really "keep asses in the seats" type of fighters where the judges are going to be influenced to protect a guy too much. Paulie Malinaggi as pointed out is with Al Hayman. Judah has however been given so many second, third, and fourth chances. You have two fighters who have several losses on their records, but it's a "Brooklyn Special." so maybe Paulie and Zab will give a better fight than expected.

Some very good 50/50 tactical matches on the Showtime card. Hard to pick winners on some of these fights. Trout-Lara has been called "A boxing purist's dream" according to one writer, so we'll see what happens.

Jack

There's no better time for a Judah/Malignaggi fight to happen, than now. Had it happened any earlier than this (about 2 years ago), then one guy would've been a stepping stone for the other. Being that they're on even terms (lost their recent fight in a close and/or exciting fashion), this fight "doesn't seem all that bad".

I'll admit, I wasn't clamoring over this fight, but both guys have shown that they're not completely done, so I can dig it. Had this been something along the lines of a Mosley/Morales (at WW) where both guys are shot, then it would be a slap in the face. I cant say that I wouldn't watch it, but it would've been a slap in the face.

Speaking of WW, how did that go over my head? This Judah/Malignaggi fight is at WW...a weight that Zab made clear that he wouldn't fight at again. Anyway, Zab was barely making 140 in his last couple of fights, so this may have been a good thing.

I think that he'll probably come in at 144...since Paulie not a huge WW or a big puncher...I can see Zab only coming up a few lbs, and keeping his speed. Now that I think about it, Zab was fast at WW, but am I the only one that thinks he jumped to WW a bit too prematurely back then? Maybe it was because of money, maybe?

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Dec 5 2013, 03:36 AM) *
The Showtime card is better on paper, but Boxing isn't always fought that way so we will see. The Zab-Paulie fight stands out to me the most, I'm looking forward to that one.

WHo are you picking???
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 5 2013, 12:23 PM) *
There's no better time for a Judah/Malignaggi fight to happen, than now. Had it happened any earlier than this (about 2 years ago), then one guy would've been a stepping stone for the other. Being that they're on even terms (lost their recent fight in a close and/or exciting fashion), this fight "doesn't seem all that bad".

I'll admit, I wasn't clamoring over this fight, but both guys have shown that they're not completely done, so I can dig it. Had this been something along the lines of a Mosley/Morales (at WW) where both guys are shot, then it would be a slap in the face. I cant say that I wouldn't watch it, but it would've been a slap in the face.

Speaking of WW, how did that go over my head? This Judah/Malignaggi fight is at WW...a weight that Zab made clear that he wouldn't fight at again. Anyway, Zab was barely making 140 in his last couple of fights, so this may have been a good thing.

I think that he'll probably come in at 144...since Paulie not a huge WW or a big puncher...I can see Zab only coming up a few lbs, and keeping his speed. Now that I think about it, Zab was fast at WW, but am I the only one that thinks he jumped to WW a bit too prematurely back then? Maybe it was because of money, maybe?

WHo are you picking???

Judah needs this fight more in my opinion because Paulie works for Showtime so my pick is Zab by SD.

checkleft
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 5 2013, 02:23 AM) *
Riding with Shawn Porter. I think he beats Devon. Devon hasnt won a notable fight in a few years. Randall Bailey?? He should have gotten the L vs Kotelnik and Matthyse. i think Shawn Porter cashes him out here.

I think Zab Judah stops Paulie Malignaggi.

Lara gets a split decision against Trout.

Sakio Bika Beats Dirrell by SD.

On HBO

Rigo comfy D12 against Agbeko.

I dont know enough about Glenn Tapia or Willie Nelson to really comment on those fights.

Showtime KO 5 over HBO. Showtime's card is much better. Looking forward to December 14th too.

I like your predictions, only one I might ride against is trout Lara, Lara has good pop and could put trout down, but Lara also has been known to be chinny.
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Dec 5 2013, 02:30 AM) *

Maidana was between trainers and looked sooo bloated.. I didn't put any weight into that fight man, he looked completely uninspired to be at 147.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 6 2013, 11:47 PM) *
Maidana was between trainers and looked sooo bloated.. I didn't put any weight into that fight man, he looked completely uninspired to be at 147.

You talking like Marcos was some ripped stud before lol. You got more excuses then Dolomite's girl after a paternity test... Last time I checked a loss is a loss no matter how it happens.....we still haven't seen all these improvements Robert has made to Marcos but let's cut the shit for a minute. Khan, Devon, and even Victor gave Maidana hell til he folded. Maidana looks great against brawlers put him in with somebody who can give different looks, box and with a ring IQ and he's in trouble. I'd take Devon over Maidana right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.