Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does it take To beat Floyd Mayweather Jr?(Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
AZWildCat

while against Broner it did work ..it sorta looked like cottos plan against may but on roids(no pun) ....Maidana is no Cotto and Broner no weather
aTYpicalTYrant
Remember when Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero and his father thought they had the "blueprint" to defeat FMJ? It's a lot different when you're not fighting someone that looks like they put them self in a full Nelson.... But I get it. Everyone wants a piece of that pie.
Dolimite
Yawn.....
checkleft
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Dec 18 2013, 12:58 PM) *
Remember when Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero and his father thought they had the "blueprint" to defeat FMJ? It's a lot different when you're not fighting someone that looks like they put them self in a full Nelson.... But I get it. Everyone wants a piece of that pie.

I actually watched that fight yesterday... No way did they have any blueprint. It looked like they were winging it

And everyone says they have the blueprint, that's how you get paid.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Dec 18 2013, 11:25 AM) *

while against Broner it did work ..it sorta looked like cottos plan against may but on roids(no pun) ....Maidana is no Cotto and Broner no weather

Broner is definitely no Mayweather, Floyd has 100% versatility in his game; he can switch and adapt to styles in a flash whereas Adrien showed how flawed and one dimensional his game is and if Robert Garcia is basing his blueprint based on what Marcos was able to do to Broner then that just isn't very intelligent.
mgrover
If people wanna see how much of a lack of defence Broner really has go look at some of the videos in the Mayweather gym sparring literally nobodies, and still getting tagged...
Dolimite
if this means we get a Floyd and Maidana fight instead of Khan. yes Robert, you have the blueprint.
aTYpicalTYrant
We all have the blueprint..... That's actually the easy part. Finding someone that can execute said blueprint is a whole nother subject.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Dec 18 2013, 04:50 PM) *
Broner is definitely no Mayweather, Floyd has 100% versatility in his game; he can switch and adapt to styles in a flash whereas Adrien showed how flawed and one dimensional his game is and if Robert Garcia is basing his blueprint based on what Marcos was able to do to Broner then that just isn't very intelligent.

I watch a lot of those ESN VIDEO BLOGS and they've pretty much given Floyd all the respect in the world especially Garcia SR. the might act like there ready but they just trying to get that lotto ticket like the rest

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 18 2013, 05:04 PM) *
If people wanna see how much of a lack of defence Broner really has go look at some of the videos in the Mayweather gym sparring literally nobodies, and still getting tagged...

Only videos I've seen of him sparring were with lydell rhoydes young prospect but naturally waY bigger then AB I think he fights at fights at 168. regardless he wasn't equipt for chino

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 18 2013, 05:08 PM) *
if this means we get a Floyd and Maidana fight instead of Khan. yes Robert, you have the blueprint.

^Cosigned^

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Dec 18 2013, 06:36 PM) *
We all have the blueprint..... That's actually the easy part. Finding someone that can execute said blueprint is a whole nother subject.

Well said
truth
$Garcia crazy talking about a blue print how can anyone compare broner who fights flat footed and clearly can't adapt because he is one dimisional i see Floyd using his jab moving early then later pin pointing him with that over hand right and instead of Floyd running staying in the pocket and possibly ko el chino
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Dec 18 2013, 12:58 PM) *
I was just about to mention this.

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Dec 18 2013, 03:50 PM) *
That's the same mistake the Guerrero's made when they based their blueprint on what Robert was able to against Berto who had used the Philly Shell defense. In Robert's own words..."You see what happened to Berto, right? I cracked through that Mayweather defense with no problem."
mitukczuk
I don't think it's about having a blueprint or about execution - though they of course play a MAJOR role. I think it will take someone special to beat Floyd.

Not in the sense of talent or skills, but it will take someone who can assert himself mentally in the ring. Someone who will outboss the boss. Someone who won't give a fuck.....like Augustus. I dont mean it like Floyd should fight him next, but you know. Fighters act as if they don't care in the build up, but you can see they don't mean it. Or that they don't have it. They don't have that tunnelvision, intensity and that "zone".

If some fighter brought the right mentality into the ring with Floyd and added some skills and fundamentals that I feel would be the key. Make Floyd doubt himself, and doubt his next punch. It's a mind game with Floyd. Speed, agility, footwork, power, defense...whatever. We've seen Floyd deal with that. Skillwise, he can't be matched at the moment. There are no young talents or talents in general who are close to him.

Sadly enough there isn't anyone who can challenge Floyd mentally, not even on the horizont. That's why I think he will retire undefeated.

Ali vs Frazier...anyone? Ali was THE MAN, THE BOSS, THE GOAT....Frazier was a so so fighter. Not as talented, not as "fluid". But he was a hard worker and had one hell of a left hook though. But he challenged Ali mentally.

"They said you were through, Joe."
"They lied, pretty boy."

Blueprints are nice, but even to them you can adapt.
The Original MrFactor
I've got the blueprint too. I just dont think we can get Mayweather and Wladimir Klistchko to meet at a catchweight...
The Original MrFactor
Who can take that 0 from Floyd?? What kind of fighter?

We've seen him whip all comers. We've seen him adapt and beat everyone he's faced. I've seen all of his fights over the last decade and a half. I can say that Castillo, DLH, Judah and Cotto seemed to stick out to me. i think Mayweather has pressure fighters figured out. I've noticed that every guys he's faced, except for Judah and DLH, he's had a reach advantage over. In some cases it was significant. Mayweather has freakishly long arms for a guy in his division. I think this allows him to be first in exchanges and get out of harms way. Basically hit and not get hit. Thats the name of the game.

I know some people on here worship Mayweather in the same way, little girls worship Justin Beiber, so I'm trying not to appear as too critical. Does the reach advantage that Mayweather has enjoyed over most of his opponents make a huge difference? How would he fare against a guy with a decisive advantage in reach? Erislandy Lara comes to mind, who has a reach of 75. Sergio Martinez at 73? Both of these guys are top level guys. Lara may not bring in the money, but if Martinez gets down to 54, its a money fight(HBO though). How does Money May fair against a good boxer with a reach advantage?
mgrover
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 19 2013, 12:41 PM) *
Who can take that 0 from Floyd?? What kind of fighter?

We've seen him whip all comers. We've seen him adapt and beat everyone he's faced. I've seen all of his fights over the last decade and a half. I can say that Castillo, DLH, Judah and Cotto seemed to stick out to me. i think Mayweather has pressure fighters figured out. I've noticed that every guys he's faced, except for Judah and DLH, he's had a reach advantage over. In some cases it was significant. Mayweather has freakishly long arms for a guy in his division. I think this allows him to be first in exchanges and get out of harms way. Basically hit and not get hit. Thats the name of the game.

I know some people on here worship Mayweather in the same way, little girls worship Justin Beiber, so I'm trying not to appear as too critical. Does the reach advantage that Mayweather has enjoyed over most of his opponents make a huge difference? How would he fare against a guy with a decisive advantage in reach? Erislandy Lara comes to mind, who has a reach of 75. Sergio Martinez at 73? Both of these guys are top level guys. Lara may not bring in the money, but if Martinez gets down to 54, its a money fight(HBO though). How does Money May fair against a good boxer with a reach advantage?

He was built for this, I've said this time and time again, the boxer in question must be as physically gifted as Mayweather and thats just a base.
MAHDI
Good analysis--- Emmanuel Burtion had a 72 inch reach-- Floyd-- said for a long time this was his toughest fight. Agustus had similar reach-- he got stopped
Plah
Plan A, B, C and D. A great jab. A great corner. Or basically get him out of there quickly (first 2 rounds, a la Mosley) before he finds out his opponent true range.

Other than that, idk. I think a fighter like RJJ (physical freak) would have success against FMJ, like he had against Toney.
mgrover
tbh Garcia said Broner is no Mayweather.
Dolimite
at this point the only thing that will beat Floyd is father time and a rape charge. other than that he may go undefeated. now a knock out fighter could fet him early.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 19 2013, 01:51 PM) *
at this point the only thing that will beat Floyd is father time and a rape charge. other than that he may go undefeated. now a knock out fighter could get him early.

Sure,

I agree that a KO artist could get Floyd because of such opponents' power. The thing is though, Floyd would be ready for that blitz, and the opponent would probably have only a 10% chance to win like that. Any fighter could win on a blitz. (And not just against Floyd.)

Jack
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 19 2013, 03:51 PM) *
at this point the only thing that will beat Floyd is father time and a rape charge. other than that he may go undefeated. now a knock out fighter could fet him early.

See Jameis Winston.

The problem w/ a guy w/ a "one hitter" is, most of those guys depend on timing, both theirs and their opponent's. <<<< there in lies the "rub" w/ Floyd. He disrupts timing. He literally has dudes in the ring trying to counter HIM!!! Stupidest iiiiish on earth.

Jovi2016
What does it take To beat Floyd Mayweather Jr?-----> You're name must be Andre Ward. haha

Ive seen all Mayweather's fights and his most challenging as mentioned was Castillo, DLH, and Cotto. Judah was only good for until round 5-6...The first fight with Castillo only seemed close because Mayweather injured himself, but he still won decisively. DLH was the real deal, that was the closest fight I've seen against Mayweather till this day. DLH had the height, reach, jab, and aggression that Cotto showed but it still wasnt enough because he isnt the right person or atleast wasnt anymore...I feel retarded for not mentioning Augustus before; he did mention that was his hardest fight, but i also think that was when he switched from his dad to his uncle again so his style was more flatfooted.

If anyone were to beat Mayweather my number 1 is Andre ward. Out weighs him by 20 pounds but can match punch speed, footwork, defense. The #1 factor for Ward is that Super strong jab, he probably has the best jab in the game right now since its his strong hand. When it comes to someone who can match Mayweather in the ring only Ward comes to mind. I wouldn't be able to bet on anyone for this fight; i would pay to even see them spar together.

Lara gets taken out, and so does Rigondeaux IMO, they're chins dont look like they'd do too well against a solid Mayweather counter.
Jovi2016
WTF you know what i just thought.

Why the F*** would Bernard Hopkins call out Mayweather for a catchweight 15 pounds lower than his weight but wont say anything to Ward who is one weight class below him? Or Adonis stevenson in the same weight? This shit is baffling me right now. Different Networks cant be the only answer.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Dec 19 2013, 04:02 PM) *

Why the F*** would Bernard Hopkins call out Mayweather for a catchweight 15 pounds lower than his weight but wont say anything to Ward who is one weight class below him? Or Adonis stevenson in the same weight? This shit is baffling me right now. Different Networks cant be the only answer.

hopkins aint beating either guy and both men combined won't give the payday Floyd will.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Dec 19 2013, 06:02 PM) *

Maaaaan...you done got somethin' started. Lol
mgrover
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Dec 19 2013, 11:02 PM) *

Because realistically Hopkins has a chance of beating Mayweather because Mayweathers simply the smaller guy, while shit he'd try with Adonis would get him KOed and shit he'd try with Ward would just end with the same coming back to him. But Mayweathers a smaller guy who he can lean on and what not. Also while Hopkins may not carry knockout power, Mayweather is still a smaller guy and would feel his punches.
leonthegee
Somebody go and dig up Vernon Forrest. Boom theres the blue print right there. I just dont see that tall rangy fighter with a SUPERB jab out there.
Jovi2016
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Dec 19 2013, 07:51 PM) *
Somebody go and dig up Vernon Forrest. Boom theres the blue print right there. I just dont see that tall rangy fighter with a SUPERB jab out there.

Ward wink.gif. He literally has a SuperJab.
Jovi2016
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 19 2013, 07:31 PM) *
Because realistically Hopkins has a chance of beating Mayweather because Mayweathers simply the smaller guy, while shit he'd try with Adonis would get him KOed and shit he'd try with Ward would just end with the same coming back to him. But Mayweathers a smaller guy who he can lean on and what not. Also while Hopkins may not carry knockout power, Mayweather is still a smaller guy and would feel his punches.

Yeah that would be a rough fight, Mayweathers speed is the key factor but yeah the size would be a killer. but i was just dont understand Bernard really pushing for the fight when he has more than enough big fights within 10 pounds

If hopkins can call out Mayweather, Mayweather can call out Rigondeaux (basically someone 2-3 weight classes below him). I just think its hilarious. hopkins reminds me of my step-grandfather that just gets drunk makes random statements and talks to random people demanding they listen. Not saying he's not smart, just sometimes what he says i cant help but laugh.

I know boxing is a buisness but damn theres weightclasses for a reason. If hopkins wants Mayweather would he agree to a Klitchko fight too? Boxing would look like the WWE if there were no weight classes. Thank the boxing gods
klonopinz
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Dec 19 2013, 08:15 PM) *
Yeah that would be a rough fight, Mayweathers speed is the key factor but yeah the size would be a killer. but i was just dont understand Bernard really pushing for the fight when he has more than enough big fights within 10 pounds

If hopkins can call out Mayweather, Mayweather can call out Rigondeaux (basically someone 2-3 weight classes below him). I just think its hilarious. hopkins reminds me of my step-grandfather that just gets drunk makes random statements and talks to random people demanding they listen. Not saying he's not smart, just sometimes what he says i cant help but laugh.

I know boxing is a buisness but damn theres weightclasses for a reason. If hopkins wants Mayweather would he agree to a Klitchko fight too? Boxing would look like the WWE if there were no weight classes. Thank the boxing gods

everybody wants to call out the smaller guy but nobody except mayweather and duran call out the bigger guys.
BoxingEinstein

There is no blueprint, all of those close wins he's had I'm sure he's learned from them. Mayweather is a special fighter and not only that he's a physical marvel with genius level boxing acumen. He dedicates himself to the sport and hones his craft because he takes it very seriously. Always in shape even not fighting, treats his body like a temple and has mastered the fundamentals. He took the Michigan defense, philly shell and has advanced those techniques to its fullest potential. Has great in ring awareness, unbelievable mental fortitude, has a chin, honest power, and the list goes on.

Simply put, it will take a fighter that is special in his own ways and in every category of the sweet science. My grandfather studied Mayweather like he's studied Whitaker, Pep, Benetiez etc. He's a extremely gifted fighter who sadly and understandably is business minded first and legacy second mentality currently keeps him from clinbing up the ATG ranks....yet his career isn't over.
mrchitown
I said it when the fight took place and I still stick to it, if Cotto didn't beat Floyd he would retire undefeated. Miguel gave him hell and it wasn't just because of his game plan it was his experience. The fighters today simply don't have the experience, let alone the skills or effective game plan to beat him

You put Floyd in with someone on par with him experience wise and he has issues. See the Judah fight, the ODLH fight, the Mosley fight, Augustus fight, and the Cotto fight. It's going to take more then skill to put a 1 in his loss column. Hopefully he don't fight Bernard but if he do he could lose that fight. Experience is key
xxxxxx
Father-time.
truth
Someone with a great jab and mental fortitude that I'm gonna win (buster Douglass tyson) no matter what Floyd has great skills however i think allot of guys go in defeated before the fight even starts which is why a guy like cotto and delahoya had some success because as someone mentioned they thought they could really win because of experience. Plus Mayweather doesn't fight on a rhythm so they would have to do that to which means they must have great reflexes because timing won't work and great stamina.
The Original MrFactor
I was thinking Winky Wright and Vernon Forest would have faired very well against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Franchize
Lots of jabs and double up with the hooks. He's gonna block and parry 1-2-3's all night. You need to make him a stationary target and double up your punches. That being said, you're probably still going to lose lol So the real answer is prayer and lots of it. Floyd's last 2 fights, he went back to moving and being quick on his feet so the plans of trying to bombard him with activity on the ropes went out the window. Back to the drawing board.
sduck
Nobody beats Floyd Mayweather Jr.

There, I said it.
devdog85
I think it takes a combination of speed, a good jab and maybe some height I think Zab came the closet to figuring out the puzzle that is Floyd Mayweather

Some fighters I feel that would trouble him or beat him are:
Ray Robinson
Ray Leonard
Taylor
Wright
Whitaker
Hearnes

If there was a particular style that beats him it prob would be RJJ
KOpower
You need to out-work him. You have to throw punches in bunches and you need to have the hand-speed behind those punches. You need to have hand-speed like Zab Judah in order to catch Floyd but you need to be active enough to win rounds. Floyd isn't an overly active fighter. If an opponent can get in and throw combinations while Floyd tucks that chin away, he can steal some rounds and if he does that frequently enough he can win the fight.

I look back at Oscar's fight with Floyd. Oscar didn't win, but he was active enough to steal rounds and make it a close fight. That is probably how Floyd will lose...if he loses. It will be a points decision to someone that was able to out-work him and steal rounds with bursts of activity while Floyd covers up.

Fighters that stand in front of him with a lack of hand-speed have no chance. Guys like JMM, Danny Garcia, Baldomir, Ortiz, Canelo, Guerrero, etc have all come up short because they had no chance of out-working Floyd. Oscar tried that and had some success. Same with JLC. I will say that Ricky Hatton was competitive despite his limited skills because he just worked hard.

That is why I will always believe that Manny Pacquaio is easily Floyd's biggest threat. Manny has the hand-speed and punch volume to win rounds. Manny's unique power is a huge bonus because if he can buzz Floyd early it will make him even more defensive throughout the rest of the fight, making it easier for Manny to steal rounds.
checkleft
QUOTE (KOpower @ Dec 21 2013, 12:40 AM) *
You need to out-work him. You have to throw punches in bunches and you need to have the hand-speed behind those punches. You need to have hand-speed like Zab Judah in order to catch Floyd but you need to be active enough to win rounds. Floyd isn't an overly active fighter. If an opponent can get in and throw combinations while Floyd tucks that chin away, he can steal some rounds and if he does that frequently enough he can win the fight.

I look back at Oscar's fight with Floyd. Oscar didn't win, but he was active enough to steal rounds and make it a close fight. That is probably how Floyd will lose...if he loses. It will be a points decision to someone that was able to out-work him and steal rounds with bursts of activity while Floyd covers up.

Fighters that stand in front of him with a lack of hand-speed have no chance. Guys like JMM, Danny Garcia, Baldomir, Ortiz, Canelo, Guerrero, etc have all come up short because they had no chance of out-working Floyd. Oscar tried that and had some success. Same with JLC. I will say that Ricky Hatton was competitive despite his limited skills because he just worked hard.

That is why I will always believe that Manny Pacquaio is easily Floyd's biggest threat. Manny has the hand-speed and punch volume to win rounds. Manny's unique power is a huge bonus because if he can buzz Floyd early it will make him even more defensive throughout the rest of the fight, making it easier for Manny to steal rounds.

He hasn't fought Danny lol
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 20 2013, 09:54 AM) *
Lots of jabs and double up with the hooks. He's gonna block and parry 1-2-3's all night. You need to make him a stationary target and double up your punches. That being said, you're probably still going to lose lol So the real answer is prayer and lots of it. Floyd's last 2 fights, he went back to moving and being quick on his feet so the plans of trying to bombard him with activity on the ropes went out the window. Back to the drawing board.

Both of those guys were taylor made guys, to a degree. Both are short guys with short arms. With Floyd's reach advantage, he can take advantage of those disadvantages in most cases. DLH, and Judah were on par with Floyd in terms of reach. So it wasnt as easy for him to hit and not get hit. It makes sense why he didnt fight guys like Margarito and Paul Williams when they were prime guys at WW. Both of them were tall and have longer arms and would have made Floyd uncomfortable when in range. I think he's better now, then he was then. Or maybe the crop of fighters out now are not as good as the guys that were there 5 years ago.
KOpower
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 21 2013, 12:25 AM) *
He hasn't fought Danny lol

I obviously know that. I shouldn't have said "all come up short".
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (KOpower @ Dec 20 2013, 11:40 PM) *

The problem with that, is... Floyd is a counter puncher. With this approach, Floyd would have a counter-punchin' field day and team Manny would have to abandon that whole game-plan durin' the fight. Besides, I highly doubt Manny would take the aggressive approach (against the best counter puncher in the game), especially after what Marquez did to him.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Dec 21 2013, 01:49 PM) *
The problem with that, is... Floyd is a counter puncher. With this approach, Floyd would have a counter-punchin' field day and team Manny would have to abandon that whole game-plan durin' the fight. Besides, I highly doubt Manny would take the aggressive approach (against the best counter puncher in the game), especially after what Marquez did to him.

I think Floyd beats Manny in a similar way that he did Cotto or Marquez. Floyd Wont even have to counter punch Manny. He can maintain distance and just batter him. If Manny cuts the distance, do him like he did Cotto. Manny will be no different. Its going to take a guy with a reach advantage to beat Floyd.
CrazyBuffalO
I didn't really read all the posts in this thread as the discussion has gone quite lengthy, so pardon me if my input is something someone else has already pointed out in here. Anyway, here's what I think:

1. You gotta be a Faker. You have to love throwing a lot of fakes, which connects to setups.

2. You gotta be patient. Let Floyd make the first moves. If necessary you may keep moving (sideways, backwards). Move out of his range. When moving sideways make sure you've moved far enough that he couldn't chase you with his punches, and same goes when you're moving backwards. The key would be to try and frustrate him. Let the crowds BOO you if necessary because they may think that you're just running in circles in the ring. It doesn't matter. It's all mind games.

3. Use the ropes to your advantage when cornered.

4. You've gotta be cold. Floyd is very professional when he is in the ring performing his craft. You've gotta be ruthless.
AZWildCat
The five R's

Reach
reflex
resiliency
resourcefulness
roar - gotta be able to get in his head the canelo over hype bothered him
ryustuh
cotto found moderate success through the use of clever feints and by going to completion on his combos. one feint in particular that seemed to work well was established by a stiff jab to the body. cotto would then feint to the body and jab upstairs bloodying floyd's nose. sometimes floyd would look to counter the jab downstairs with his trademark counter right but, a few times cotto would turn the feint jab into a lead hook and follow up with 3-4 more quick punches esp when floyd was on the ropes.

gotta remember floyd is a master not only with his physical dominance, but also with his mental tactics. you'll see alot of his opponents try to feint or throw a variety of punches in the early rounds only to abandon their strategies after floyd lands clean potshots. hard to stick to your original game plan when getting tagged, but i think previous floyd opponents would have found more success had they been a bit more resilient on committing to and finishing their combos especially towards the later rounds. a good trick they teach in the amateurs against opponents who slip punches well and move a lot is to aim for center mass - the chest/solar plexus. I see alot of Floyd's opponents start head hunting, and that's exactly what the champ wants. Start aiming for the chest and you're bound to land something or at least keep his guard up. Of course, all easier said than done...
checkleft
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 3 2014, 04:52 PM) *
cotto found moderate success through the use of clever feints and by going to completion on his combos. one feint in particular that seemed to work well was established by a stiff jab to the body. cotto would then feint to the body and jab upstairs bloodying floyd's nose. sometimes floyd would look to counter the jab downstairs with his trademark counter right but, a few times cotto would turn the feint jab into a lead hook and follow up with 3-4 more quick punches esp when floyd was on the ropes.

gotta remember floyd is a master not only with his physical dominance, but also with his mental tactics. you'll see alot of his opponents try to feint or throw a variety of punches in the early rounds only to abandon their strategies after floyd lands clean potshots. hard to stick to your original game plan when getting tagged, but i think previous floyd opponents would have found more success had they been a bit more resilient on committing to and finishing their combos especially towards the later rounds. a good trick they teach in the amateurs against opponents who slip punches well and move a lot is to aim for center mass - the chest/solar plexus. I see alot of Floyd's opponents start head hunting, and that's exactly what the champ wants. Start aiming for the chest and you're bound to land something or at least keep his guard up. Of course, all easier said than done...

Like you said easier said than done, cotto has one of the best jabs in boxing, up there with ward and paulie...
BrutUalBK
Well you need a serious mixture of things to beat Floyd:

1. A tall fighter with a long, fast and hard jab
2. An excellent counterpuncher
3. A great defense
4. A great chin, because people underestimate Floyd's power
5. Great cardio/conditioning
6. The ability to fight on the inside
7. Ring intellect
8. The plus would be if this person happens to be a SP with great punching power and speed (one of the main ingredients you need for May)

This person would have to be able to use his jab effectively aiming it at the chest to keep Floyd off balance, you can't throw it at his head all the time because eventually he'll time it and start to counter you with the straight right, you have to start from the chest up varying the jab and doubling and even tripling it.

This person also needs to fire off his punches to the body (particularly the left hook) doubling it after the double jab but you cannot broadcast or get stuck in any type of patterns with Mayweather because he'll remember and adjust with a tactic to counter it. If my fighter is a SP I'd actually have him start the fight as an Orthodoxed fighter and then every now and then switch-hit back and forth every now and then to keep Mayweather from figuring out what he's doing and when he is actually going to do it.

At no time would I have my fighter target Mayweather's head/chin because he's too adept with his shoulder roll at defending shots there and it'll be rare to hit him and even when you do it won't always be cleanly and often when we saw him get clipped he has a decent enough chin to take it and come back with counters of his own or move out of the way.

When my fighter gets him on the ropes (which is where I'd advise him to try to keep the fight/never left him get the center of the ring) then is where he'd ensure that he cuts off the ring at all times working the jab in 2-3 rapid succession and firing left hooks and straight rights to the body only. At no time will I advise my fighter to take a step backwards and never let the fight take place in the center of the ring if possible to keep the fight from turning into a boxing contest.

The entire key to beating Floyd is you cannot never let him figure you out, once he does then you are in trouble, keep him off balance, out of the center of the ring, keep his back against the ropes, use a double and triple jab, never aim for the head (but feint like you're going there and drop 2 to the body starting with the double jab to the chest and then double left hook to the body followed by a straight right to the body and every move is executed after a double feint, triple feint or one feint and again all of this after cutting him off from his lateral movement while his back is on the ropes, if he ties you up and the Ref breaks it and you end up in the center of the ring again, rinse and repeat the same process until you have him on the ropes all while continually switching from orthodoxed to SP style never letting him figure you out when you are going to do what and when.

Sounds impossible but you'd have to have the right fighter with the type of abilities to pull it off. Do yall know anyone I can train to do this? lol

sduck
There is no fighter to date who possesses all the right tools to beat Floyd, that's why I think no one beats him, of any era. Yeah I said it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.