Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ESPN2@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT): Mendez vs. Barthelemy-SPOILERS
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
Happy New Year All!

2014 opens with a world title fight this Friday Night on ESPN2. A Jr. Lightweight Title Fight between Mendez defending against Barthelemy. Could be good. I really hope everything is fair. If it's a bad decision, we will have to listen to Teddy Atlas' rant about how Minnesota sucks because they don't have a national commission and how boxing would be so much better with him at the helm. I know people either like or hate Teddy but he just rubs me the wrong way. Always has. In actuality he had another rant almost a year ago when Barthelemy fought Usmanee in Florida and Usmanee lost a decision that was close. Was that a robbery like Teddy believed or not?

Anyway, putting this up so we don't forget about the fight. We will be using the Round by Round and Preview Threads for the fights as always. Same policies will apply. We will plan to close the 2014 fight schedule thread when this first fight airs on Friday Night. This is to prevent any possibility of spoilers given away in that thread. The community has been excellent about our Spoiler rules of posting a Topic Title containing the word Spoiler in the Subject of the Thread, or replying within a round-by-round on-going thread that contains a spoiler warning in the topic title. Thanks for everyone's help with this!

What do you guys think about our first World Title Fight for 2014?

Jack

Administrator
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 1 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Happy New Year All!

2014 opens with a world title fight this Friday Night on ESPN2. A Jr. Lightweight Title Fight between Mendez defending against Barthelemy. Could be good. I really hope everything is fair. If it's a bad decision, we will have to listen to Teddy Atlas' rant about how Minnesota sucks because they don't have a national commission and how boxing would be so much better with him at the helm. I know people either like or hate Teddy but he just rubs me the wrong way. Always has. In actuality he had another rant almost a year ago when Barthelemy fought Usmanee in Florida and Usmanee lost a decision that was close. Was that a robbery like Teddy believed or not?

Anyway, putting this up so we don't forget about the fight. We will be using the Round by Round and Preview Threads for the fights as always. Same policies will apply. We will plan to close the 2014 fight schedule thread when this first fight airs on Friday Night. This is to prevent any possibility of spoilers given away in that thread. The community has been excellent about our Spoiler rules of posting a Topic Title containing the word Spoiler in the Subject of the Thread, or replying within a round-by-round on-going thread that contains a spoiler warning in the topic title. Thanks for everyone's help with this!

What do you guys think about our first World Title Fight for 2014?

Jack

Administrator

Oh thee Friday Night Fights, where has thou been??? Can't wait to get my weekly fix of boxing!

I've seen Barthelemy several times on FNFs, but I'm not that impressed with him. He can crack, but his leaky defense is the story here. I'm not sure if I've seen Mendez fight, I'll know him when I see him, I guess.

That decision that Barthelemy was given last year, was disgusting. He and Usmanee were tired, but you can tell who wanted it more than the other. I'd like to see a rematch before the end of this year. As for Atlas, cant wait to hear those rants from him! This guy could give two shits about any state's athletic commission, he just goes for what he knows. laugh.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 2 2014, 08:13 AM) *
Oh thee Friday Night Fights, where has thou been??? Can't wait to get my weekly fix of boxing!

I've seen Barthelemy several times on FNFs, but I'm not that impressed with him. He can crack, but his leaky defense is the story here. I'm not sure if I've seen Mendez fight, I'll know him when I see him, I guess.

That decision that Barthelemy was given last year, was disgusting. He and Usmanee were tired, but you can tell who wanted it more than the other. I'd like to see a rematch before the end of this year. As for Atlas, cant wait to hear those rants from him! This guy could give two shits about any state's athletic commission, he just goes for what he knows. laugh.gif

Very true!

Even if you aren't an Atlas fan, he still sugarcoats absolutely nothing! He is who he is, which is probably why so many have a love/hate relationship with him. No middle ground for views on Teddy. I remember Barthelmey-Usmanee better now. It was a bad decision.

Jack
mrchitown
Can't wait. I've been missing FNF's since the season ended last year. Barthelemy is a question mark imo, I need to see more from him...hopefully he puts on a good show tomorrow
Jack 1000
Hey All,

Normally, we don't pin ESPN round by round fight spoiler results. However, as this is a world championship fight with the potential to be very good, and the first world title fight of 2014, we will pin up this results thread. Keep everything about the fight in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
mrchitown
Duran is taking it to Truax right now, he's doubling the jab and working his way inside very effectively
mrchitown
Truax and Duran are both visibly tired, who ever works harder towards the end of this one will come out with the win...every time they get inside they tie each other up instead of punching
mrchitown
Feel bad for Duran, I thought he pulled it out bit the judges say other wise

I like this Erick Lubinson kid, yo can tell he's still a kid but he's got some talent. He was a very good amateur fighter, I hope they move him along slowly and build him up because I think he can make some noise in boxing
mrchitown
I liked Teddy's 2014 boxing wish list
mrchitown
Didn't expect to see Barthelemy hurt Mendez in the first but he shook him up pretty good and Mendez never seeemed to regain his footing after that
mrchitown
Mendez is out! It's over!! Barthelemy put some serious power on Mendez at the end of the 2nd round and the last knockdown right before the bell rang was lethal
mrchitown
Teddy is turnt up and Tyson is looking like a pimp/promoter lol....all in all it was a good card. If Tyson can keep making cards like this he has a solid future in the business of promoting fights

I give all credit to Barthelemy, he was full of adrenaline and went for the kill. There were a few blows after the bell but the ref screwed the pooch on that one....I'd love to see a rematch
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 3 2014, 09:28 PM) *
Teddy is turnt up and Tyson is looking like a pimp/promoter lol....all in all it was a good card. If Tyson can keep making cards like this he has a solid future in the business of promoting fights

I give all credit to Barthelemy, he was full of adrenaline and went for the kill. There were a few blows after the bell but the ref screwed the pooch on that one....I'd love to see a rematch

Agree,

The ref was not in position when the bell rang, and in the heat of the moment Barthelemy got off those one or two late punches. Barthelmey should not be penalized for this. The best, should a protest be filed, would be over the position of the referee when that round ended. They can mandate a rematch, but Barthelemy is allowed to remain champion. There was no malicious thought or intent with that late shot, even though it was after the bell.

Why do they count it as 2:59 of the second round? This would indicate that the bell had not yet rung? I have seen other fights over the years end with one second to go announced as a TKO/KO end time, when the count continues after the bell.

Jack
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 4 2014, 01:48 PM) *
Agree,

The ref was not in position when the bell rang, and in the heat of the moment Barthelemy got off those one or two late punches. Barthelmey should not be penalized for this. The best, should a protest be filed, would be over the position of the referee when that round ended. They can mandate a rematch, but Barthelemy is allowed to remain champion. There was no malicious thought or intent with that late shot, even though it was after the bell.

Why do they count it as 2:59 of the second round? This would indicate that the bell had not yet rung? I have seen other fights over the years end with one second to go announced as a TKO/KO end time, when the count continues after the bell.

Jack

They should just say KO in round " " if the KO comes when the bell rangs or if the fight is stopped by the ref after the bell rings. I never understood it either.

No way can they get that belt returned back to Mendez. He was out before the bell rang really but the last 2 shots just put the finishing touches on the KO. The ref did a bad job as far as being in position to stop the fighters from punching. I think a rematch should be ordered if the IBF feels that there was a slight injustice done, and I certainly think it was, but not by Barthelemy but by the ref. I'd support a mandated rematch
beenKOed
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 03:32 PM) *
They should just say KO in round " " if the KO comes when the bell rangs or if the fight is stopped by the ref after the bell rings. I never understood it either.

No way can they get that belt returned back to Mendez. He was out before the bell rang really but the last 2 shots just put the finishing touches on the KO. The ref did a bad job as far as being in position to stop the fighters from punching. I think a rematch should be ordered if the IBF feels that there was a slight injustice done, and I certainly think it was, but not by Barthelemy but by the ref. I'd support a mandated rematch

Agreed, there was a clear foul. Hate to see the fighters jerked around like this, especially due to poor officiating, but it does happen. There should be a rematch just to clear the air. Mendez will lose again, in my opinion.
mrchitown
QUOTE (beenKOed @ Jan 13 2014, 09:08 PM) *
Agreed, there was a clear foul. Hate to see the fighters jerked around like this, especially due to poor officiating, but it does happen. There should be a rematch just to clear the air. Mendez will lose again, in my opinion.

He was on his way to losing it's just the ref in this instance, didn't do his job properly. I've heard they're trying to ge the fight turned to a no contest
Cshel86
QUOTE (beenKOed @ Jan 13 2014, 10:08 PM) *

Couldn't agree more. Of course I had to record FNFs, thanks to my girlfriend, and watching it the next day was like warming up some leftover fried chicken...the effect wasn't the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.