Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Mayweather-Pacquaio Will Never Happen (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Gambit808
Happy New Years FIGHTHYPE Community! 2014 is here now, 2013 is the past for boxing and won't be forgotten of coarse, but I also have a real good feeling going into this year. Im only basing this feeling upon the biggest event possible of the year 2014 as I've done at the end of 2012 for 2013's highlighted event Mayweather-Alverez with Mayweather-Guerrero/Alverez-Trout leading us up into "THE ONE". So, short and sweet, my opinion is that a certain Top Rank associated fighter and a Golden Boy Associated fighter will meet up in September...and yes of coarse, one of those fighters is Floyd Mayweather.

If there's one thing I can take from 2013 into this year is the pattern of Floyd's fights within a year, and something I noticed from Mayweather's current sweepstakes is that it sort of bares a resemblance to last years sweepstakes for May 4 between Guerrero and Alexander. Guerrero who was coming off a career defining win against Andre Berto as we know was chosen over Devon Alexander whom a lot of people felt didn't deserve to be in the ring with Mayweather judging from his not so impressive performances before hand. While it was starting to look as though the Alexander fight was going to happen, by popular demand, it ended up being to what we know now. A lot of people also forget Canelo's name was also at the end of that list being thrown around as well, while being the BIGGER draw of them all, many people felt him beating up on Josesito Lopez wasn't justifiable enough to be mention that soon either. Beating a then undefeated Austin Trout as we know made it into what it was then.

Now, Fast Foward to here and now and you may see where I'm going with this, if you haven't already. Khan/Maidana/Pacquiao is the current publicized sweepstakes for May 3, but the only difference between then and now is that Khan is still a better draw over Maidana even while he's coming off his career defining opponent Adrien Broner, while Devon Alexander compared to Guerrero at the time never really is/was, but never the less, between the two will lead into yet another "September To Remember" which in my opinion will be another potential record breaking PPV [drum roll]......... Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao given eachs own success in there early year fights.

Any thoughts?
dre98
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 2 2014, 04:12 AM) *
Happy New Years FIGHTHYPE Community! 2014 is here now, 2013 is the past for boxing and won't be forgotten of coarse, but I also have a real good feeling going into this year. Im only basing this feeling upon the biggest event possible of the year 2014 as I've done at the end of 2012 for 2013's highlighted event Mayweather-Alverez with Mayweather-Guerrero/Alverez-Trout leading us up into "THE ONE". So, short and sweet, my opinion is that a certain Top Rank associated fighter and a Golden Boy Associated fighter will meet up in September...and yes of coarse, one of those fighters is Floyd Mayweather.

If there's one thing I can take from 2013 into this year is the pattern of Floyd's fights within a year, and something I noticed from Mayweather's current sweepstakes is that it sort of bares a resemblance to last years sweepstakes for May 4 between Guerrero and Alexander. Guerrero who was coming off a career defining win against Andre Berto as we know was chosen over Devon Alexander whom a lot of people felt didn't deserve to be in the ring with Mayweather judging from his not so impressive performances before hand. While it was starting to look as though the Alexander fight was going to happen, by popular demand, it ended up being to what we know now. A lot of people also forget Canelo's name was also at the end of that list being thrown around as well, while being the BIGGER draw of them all, many people felt him beating up on Josesito Lopez wasn't justifiable enough to be mention that soon either. Beating a then undefeated Austin Trout as we know made it into what it was then.

Now, Fast Foward to here and now and you may see where I'm going with this, if you haven't already. Khan/Maidana/Pacquiao is the current publicized sweepstakes for May 3, but the only difference between then and now is that Khan is still a better draw over Maidana even while he's coming off his career defining opponent Adrien Broner, while Devon Alexander compared to Guerrero at the time never really is/was, but never the less, between the two will lead into yet another "September To Remember" which in my opinion will be another potential record breaking PPV [drum roll]......... Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao given eachs own success in there early year fights.

Any thoughts?

I was kind of thinking sort of the same. In light to a sept to remember or May to remember when Floyd chose to fight cotto. Him chosing that fight I felt alot people were surprised. I'm curious to see if May actually choose to fight Khan or Maidana. It would be really interesting if floyd screws cotto over and fights Martinez in May. I feel like he has to fight someone that is gonna bring that same excite like his last two fights did.

Khan isn't cutting it especially off the few fights he had. I believe this fight is more sell-able if khan beat alexander but it didn't. I wonder if people would really buy that fight. A fight with khan is something I wouldn't want to buy. Skill wise it makes a nice fight but Idk khan lost his luster with his stardom.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 2 2014, 02:12 AM) *

Any thoughts?

currently Maidana is the bigger draw than Khan. Everyone knows Marco's name. Khan has not done shit. As far as May and Pac go. unless Arum dies or Pac grows a set, it ain't happening. The fight has lost its luster, but I am not the one to knock.another man's dreams. It could happen. The Knicks may go on a 20 game win streak. L.A might get a football team. Anything is possible. Keep hope alive. I never thought we have a black president. Anything is possible.
DigitalBoom
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 2 2014, 08:23 AM) *
currently Maidana is the bigger draw than Khan. Everyone knows Marco's name. Khan has not done shit. As far as May and Pac go. unless Arum dies or Pac grows a set, it ain't happening. The fight has lost its luster, but I am not the one to knock.another man's dreams. It could happen. The Knicks may go on a 20 game win streak. L.A might get a football team. Anything is possible. Keep hope alive. I never thought we have a black president. Anything is possible.

Grows a set? Considering the only person we've heard say no to the fight in the past year and a half or so being mayweather (the videos are all on this site btw) let's say he may be the one who needs to grow a pair and before you come with that well he ain't doing business with Arum if you as a legit boxing fan can accept that as an excuse fine..but me i'll call that bullshhh. Bhop got all sorts of revenge for a whole bunch of fighters by virtually putting an end to Don King and BHop has a wholeeeee lot more reasons to hate Don than Floyd has to hate Arum.

Floyd fights Khan in May and Maidana in september...or the other way around because May is pretty much the hispanic community fight so it may now be backwards and Khan gets pushed into a soft fight to keep active...if he loses his soft touch up he gets replaced by either a thurma (granted he can pull off another impressive win) or maybe Porter if he manages to hold on to his belt.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 2 2014, 11:22 AM) *
Grows a set? Considering the only person we've heard say no to the fight in the past year and a half or so being mayweather (the videos are all on this site btw) let's say he may be the one who needs to grow a pair and before you come with that well he ain't doing business with Arum if you as a legit boxing fan can accept that as an excuse fine..but me i'll call that bullshhh. Bhop got all sorts of revenge for a whole bunch of fighters by virtually putting an end to Don King and BHop has a wholeeeee lot more reasons to hate Don than Floyd has to hate Arum.

Floyd fights Khan in May and Maidana in september...or the other way around because May is pretty much the hispanic community fight so it may now be backwards and Khan gets pushed into a soft fight to keep active...if he loses his soft touch up he gets replaced by either a thurma (granted he can pull off another impressive win) or maybe Porter if he manages to hold on to his belt.

I'll go with this.

Jack
Dolimite
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 2 2014, 09:22 AM) *

Before I get started on this post, let me say, no man who laces them up is a coward or lacks a "set." Now, the only person who originally said no was the congressman from General Santos City. The only man who did not take 40 million dollars was the congressman from General Santos City, but shit, when I am wrong, I too like to rewrite history. What I meant by Manny growing a set is his lack of courage to stand up to satan, aka Bob Arum. I wish, he would tell Arum like Bradley has done, JMM has done and Rigondeaux has done, who he is willing to fight and who he isn't willing to fight. He needs to stand up to his promoter, Manny is the one who fights, he is getting dicked on his purse and on his selection of opponents. It sucks
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 2 2014, 08:14 PM) *
Before I get started on this post, let me say, no man who laces them up is a coward or lacks a "set." Now, the only person who originally said no was the congressman from General Santos City. The only man who did not take 40 million dollars was the congressman from General Santos City, but shit, when I am wrong, I too like to rewrite history. What I meant by Manny growing a set is his lack of courage to stand up to satan, aka Bob Arum. I wish, he would tell Arum like Bradley has done, JMM has done and Rigondeaux has done, who he is willing to fight and who he isn't willing to fight. He needs to stand up to his promoter, Manny is the one who fights, he is getting dicked on his purse and on his selection of opponents. It sucks

I don't know why the dick Pac should take 40million, just because he hasn't made this much money before doesn't mean shit. Say this event came out at something like 250 million, you want Pac to take 40 mil and Mayweather to take something like 200 million? Come on man am getting sick and tired of people constantly bringing up the 40 million, a split of percentages is better. Mayweather always talks about Pac not getting a 50-50 split cause of Arum but he clearly as stupid as he looks since it's pretty obvious that Arum takes his shit from Pacs half, just like Roach would, etc etc etc. At this stage I still think it should be a 60-40 split but ah well. Also its funny how Delahoya who left Arum could work with him.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 2 2014, 04:21 PM) *
I don't know why the dick Pac should take 40million, just because he hasn't made this much money before doesn't mean shit. Say this event came out at something like 250 million, you want Pac to take 40 mil and Mayweather to take something like 200 million? Come on man am getting sick and tired of people constantly bringing up the 40 million, a split of percentages is better. Mayweather always talks about Pac not getting a 50-50 split cause of Arum but he clearly as stupid as he looks since it's pretty obvious that Arum takes his shit from Pacs half, just like Roach would, etc etc etc. At this stage I still think it should be a 60-40 split but ah well. Also its funny how Delahoya who left Arum could work with him.

I didn't say it was fair, I said that is what he offered.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 2 2014, 07:23 AM) *

No they don't. Maidana will never be a bigger draw then Amir and as far as his name, he has a good buzz going. That's about it. I'd like to see Maidana get the fight over Amir just like you but Amir even in his recent blunders in the ring, brings more to the promotion then Maidana
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 2 2014, 06:21 PM) *

It's been so much bull from both sides I believe it's unbearable for fans to take in. But I think the money he was offered at that time was fair. And I wouldn't even give him 60/40 right now. He'd get 35% and he should be glad to take that. The sport is a business and so if your Arum, or Koncz or let's say your Pacquiao. You come to me for a fight with Floyd and you say x,y,z. I'm going to counter what ever you say by saying you want more then $40 mil and you have never "officially" released you real PPV numbers, your 1-2( and many believe 1-3 if you include Pacqioa-JMM 3), in your last 3 fights AND you have tax issues in the U.S. and in your won backyard" *click* phone goes dead

We can say all we want about Mayweather and his ways but I question the validity of Manny's PPV numbers, his income from those fights, and the attendance at those fights. Basically, I think the dude is popular but not as much as his fans thinks he is. If I was in charge of negotiations, he'd take at most 35% with no backend revenue and stfu and fight

Does he even get backend money from his PPV's under Arum? If not, how the hell you going to justify him getting a piece of PPV revenue and other back end money when he not getting it now
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 2 2014, 03:12 AM) *

Any thoughts?

Where'd you hear this at?

Stranger things have happened so I ain't dismissing nothing. Especially when it comes to boxing. But I don't think it'll happen. I think we will see Mayweather-Bradley in 2015. And I say that because I don't believe Bradley will re-sign with TR in December, I think he'll fight these last 2 fights and move on.

Nice bold prediction though, one I hope does happen but history is not on your side with this one
Gambit808
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 2 2014, 09:12 PM) *
Where'd you hear this at?

Stranger things have happened so I ain't dismissing nothing. Especially when it comes to boxing. But I don't think it'll happen. I think we will see Mayweather-Bradley in 2015. And I say that because I don't believe Bradley will re-sign with TR in December, I think he'll fight these last 2 fights and move on.

Nice bold prediction though, one I hope does happen but history is not on your side with this one

Tbh, Based mainly off of popular damand. After Maidana and Khan his name seems to be mentioned a lot as a possibility and Floyd Mayweather throwing shots at Pacquiao sort of adds fuel to it for me.

Both Floyd and TR seem to be shooting down this notion though.
Plah
derp
Jack 1000
Ben has a great story on the front page that sets the record straight. The main issue remains as it has always been. Manny is under contract with Top Rank until the end of December 2014 and there is no way that Arum will ever do business with Floyd's people, nor will Floyd hurt the outstanding relationship he has built with his team. It seems that it has always been. MAYWEATHER-PACQUIAO CAN NEVER HAPPEN AND WILL NEVER HAPPEN FOR AS LONG AS MANNY IS UNDER CONTRACT TO TOP RANK. Until that contract expires, it's wasted time and words to even talk about the fight.

Here's Ben's story:

http://fighthype.com/news/article15884.html

Jack
ryustuh
Fight Addicts,

Given the recent hooplah and rumors surrounding a Floyd/Manny bout supposedly taking place in the fall, I decided to write this piece. For the sake of boxing, please stop asking for the Floyd-Manny fight. We are closing in on six years since the initial waves of PAC/FLOYD MANIA first formed, but now, we must realize that this duel's original appeal has long since vanished. As responsible fans, it's our duty to direct more naive observers towards the PLETHORA of far superior and more exciting match-ups in 2014 and beyond. Failing to do so will provide the masses of "casual fans" with the perfect excuse to stop watching the sport altogether if this so-called match made in heaven fails to take place (and mark my words, it will most likely not take place). Here are a few reasons why you and everyone else should stop begging for this fight:

Manny is out of his element. Let's get one thing straight. I am a huge Manny Pacquiao fan. Anyone who knows me well can attest to this. But, unfortunately for the Filipino sensation and his many adoring fans, his prime has passed. The last time I was truly impressed with Manny's boxing was in 2009 against Miguel Cotto. Yes, Manny has had several wins against tough opponents since then, but I've yet to observe the same blistering machine-gun speed and relentlessness that so definitively demolished the likes of great fighters like De Le Hoya, Hatton, Barrera, and the great Eric Morales. I'm happy to see Manny still pulling some great 5-6 punch combos, weaving in and out fluently, and structuring a variety of angles on his opponents. But, I do not see the same pop/snap in his punches or the same ruthless demeanor he normally carries into the ring. Manny did easily cruise past Brandon Rios, but he failed to make a definitive impression as he should have against such a lesser opponent. No disrespect to Rios, but Manny in his prime would have put him out cold or at least stopped him within 6 rounds. Combine all of this with the fact that Manny got KO'd to complete unconsciousness and will never be physically 100% again. Furthermore, Manny's long-time trainer, Freddie Roach, is ALSO out of his element and is visibly (though unfortunately) slowing down on the mitts. It takes two to tango, and with Manny coming in as not the REAL Manny, the showdown with Floyd has lost its initial appeal.

Floyd is still at the top of his game. Unlike his counterpart, Floyd Mayweather is still 100% flashy, 100% clean, and 100% in his prime. To understand how dominant Floyd currently is, we must first take a look at his opponents. For those of you who know boxing, you undoubtedly recognize Canelo Alvarez as an absolute freight train who demolishes his opponents with grueling body shots and fluid heavy handed combinations. With his rough and tumble style, south-paw Robert Guerrero has been dominant in the division by bullying his way in the clinch and with his dirty-boxing tactics. Not much needs to be said about the future hall-of-famer Miguel Cotto to prove his worth. With the possible exception of Mig, Floyd has made these great opponents look like absolute clowns. He came out of each fight relatively unscathed, and showed the same consistent sharpness, craftiness, defensively slick style, and counter-punching ability. Floyd's training camp has refused to take a step back as well with the recent replacement of head trainer Uncle Roger (due to deteriorating health) with Floyd's first mentor, Floyd Sr.

Styles make fights. If both fighters traveled back in time 5 years, I might let this last one slide, but given that there is now (to me) a very significant discrepancy in skill between these two legends, fighting styles now become more prominent factors in making the bout less fulfilling. Floyd won't chase after anyone. He waits and lures opponents in - the ultimate essence of a counter-puncher. Despite what many believe, Manny is by no means a reckless charging bull, and uses tremendous foot-work to angle in and out depending on the situation. For Floyd and Manny to unleash their full potentials, both fighters need opponents like Marcos Maidana, Ricky Hatton, Brandon Rios, and Diego Corrales - those fighters with the mentality of never backing down. In a Floyd and Manny bout, all I see is the occasional 4-5 punch flurry via the Filipino most of which is blocked through the effective use of the shoulder-roll guard by Floyd. In close, Floyd would grab and clinch as he normally does and occasionally pot-shot when Pacquiao's openings become apparent. Given that Manny is a bit more cautious now after the brutal Marquez KO, I see even less activity on his end in a potential showdown with Mayweather. I'm not saying that the fight would not be exciting. I'm not saying I wouldn't watch it if it were to happen - of course I would. But 99% of you need to stop making such a big fuss about something that really isn't all that spectacular.

Call me a realist, but I, personally, will not be wasting any more of my time wishing for a fight that should have happened ages ago. I'm not going to take away from either Floyd or Manny by chastising them and blaming them for the non-event. I'm not going to diminish all other fighters in the sport by honing in on a pair of boxers who will retire in the coming years. Instead, I'm going to focus on the future of boxing and the TREMENDOUS fights this year has to offer - and I urge you and all fellow fight fans to do the same.

Happy Fighting!

ryustuh, writing via personal blog @ thefightaddict.blogspot.com
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 2 2014, 08:30 PM) *
Tbh, Based mainly off of popular damand. After Maidana and Khan his name seems to be mentioned a lot as a possibility and Floyd Mayweather throwing shots at Pacquiao sort of adds fuel to it for me.

Both Floyd and TR seem to be shooting down this notion though.

I don't think this fight will happen and the article on the front page just kinda dispelled it.

I heard something about some homemade video and journalists running with it. It's too many half ass writers in boxing now. Ain't no Bert Sugar's anymore. Just internet dudes starting a site and copying and pasting stuff or kissing a fighter or promoter's ass to gain favor with them

I'm with you though, just unfortunate that the real possibility of the fight if there is one, is that it won't take place until Pacquaio is away from TR and Arum. Cotto talked about boxing's cold war and I liked his take on it
KOpower
I wish both Arum/Pac and Mayweather/GBP would stfu and make the fight. I have no interest in watching Mayweather box the pants off of another fighter (Maidana) that was made for him to slice through. I have slightly more interest in how Floyd deals with Khan's hand-speed.

Just make the fight. It probably won't happen in 2014, but MAYBE in 2015. Just make it. STFU and make it. Both sides. Both sides suffer from no fight.
Col Reb
I don't see the PAC fight happening, so my September to remember would consist of Floyd vs either GGG or Martinez (GGG preferred). I know that's a longshot, but why not wish for it.

KOpower
GGG would be a terrible style for Floyd and it is a fight that Floyd should not be expected to take. GGG would be like JLC only much better and much stronger with a FAR more powerful punch. GGG's footwork would be the reason he beats Floyd. GGG really knows how to cut the ring off and always be in position to punch. He would just break Mayweather down.

I think Mayweather would have a real chance to win, and ultimately it is a fight I would like to see him take to prove he is one of the greatest of All-Time, but I certainly wouldn't EXPECT him to take it. I don't think any reasonable fight fan should expect Floyd to face a beast like GGG.
Jay0ann
This is by far the lousiest analysis I’ve ever read. Mr. Expert here calling himself a ‘huge Manny Pacquiao fan’, and yet the way he describes the two greats is like comparing heaven and earth. It’s like as if Manny will never ever be able to land a single punch to Floyd.

Manny is out of his element? Look.. we all knew who really won between Manny and Bradley.. and JMM’s team was seriously considering stopping the fight, thanks for that last second lucky punch. While I agree that Canelo was quite a fighter Floyd easily defeated, Rios on the other hand wasn’t a joke either, and look what Manny did to him.

I am so tired of hearing how Floyd will easily defeat Manny, with his great defence and being a master magician in the ring he is and this and that. But all of these are nothing but words and mere opinions. The fact still remains that Floyd Maynever has never before fought the likes of Manny Pacquiao. Period. And unless Floyd grow some balls, being ‘his own boss’ as he always brag, and stop all his lousy excuses, and stop worrying about his health etc etc..., we will never be able to know who really is the pound 4 pound king of our generation.
ryustuh
jay0ann - i appreciate the response, but please don't call my analysis lousy and come to the conclusion that i'm siding with floyd just because i like him more. as i stated previously, i am a manny pacquiao fan, and the piece i wrote yesterday was based on fighting merit and skill - NOT personal preference.

as an individual who has actively been fighting the past 7 years, and as someone who has studied the sport like a religion for close to a decade, i look at manny today and observe that he's nowhere near the same skill level he was at just a short while ago. if you are a LEGIT manny pacquiao fan...you shouldn't disagree with me here. manny just five to six years ago would demolish manny today.

you failed to read some of the finer points of my analysis as i did give manny credit for his handful of wins he's had as of late. HOWEVER, in boxing, fighters can't be complacent with just another W tacked onto their record. manny looked sloppy and ineffective against an aging sugar shane. he didn't look all that promising in his third fight against JMM. yes he won the fight against bradley, but i'd LOVE to see a rematch this year to see who would be the victor. and i stand by what i said before, manny did do damage against a one-track fighter in brandon, but failed to impress a lot of fans. you say brandon is a legit opponent? how so? who has he really beaten that is a legit contender, and what about his completely one-dimensional style makes him impressive? he walks straight forward, no head movement, doesn't have a versatile array of punches, and has absolutely no footwork. again, someone hand-picked for manny pacquiao on his way to a comeback. smart decision by manny's team, but i was not impressed with the performance. did he do damage against brandon? yea...but the typical manny would have shut him out completely. and please don't make the comparison between rios and canelo alvarez - the two are on completely differently playing fields.

and you're missing the whole point of my review. don't dwell on this fight anymore! it probably won't happen, you're wasting your time thinking about it, and there are other more exciting fights to be made. and if for some reason, you can't forget about the fight...FINE. let's see who manny picks as his next opponent and let's see how he fares. i am almost positive a fight against maidana, ruslan (even though they spar together), or a rematch with bradley will not be as one-sided as you believe. after that, you can make your decision on who is p4p king.

with respect,
ryustuh via thefightaddict.blogspot.com
Dolimite
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 3 2014, 07:54 AM) *
GGG would be a terrible style for Floyd and it is a fight that Floyd should not be expected to take. GGG would be like JLC only much better and much stronger with a FAR more powerful punch. GGG's footwork would be the reason he beats Floyd. GGG really knows how to cut the ring off and always be in position to punch. He would just break Mayweather down.

I think Mayweather would have a real chance to win, and ultimately it is a fight I would like to see him take to prove he is one of the greatest of All-Time, but I certainly wouldn't EXPECT him to take it. I don't think any reasonable fight fan should expect Floyd to face a beast like GGG.

I have watched every GGG fight and I am yet to be impressed with his footwork. His skill set is average and I am waiting on him to fight top competition. And GGG should be able to beat May, he being a middle weight in all.
DigitalBoom
Respectfully disagree 100% with the OP..but I do respect your right to an opinion. What kills me though is folks act like Brandon didn't catch Pacquaio flush and guess what nothing. It isn't like Pacquaio didn't try to play possum to get Rios to engage so he could go for the KO. If you actually look at the sequence of four punch combos it was head...mid section (to open up the head) and back to the head..guess what Rios did? Shell the hell up. How do you KO a guy with a great chin who says he didn't feel the power but spent the entire fight practically guarding his head. The other part people leave out is in the 12th Pacquaio socked the shhh out of Rios had him primed for a KO and stepped back..go to the 1:28 mark of the 12th round where you see Manny offering his glove to Rios like "you don't need to take any more damage..i'ma lay off. Rios was like "fk that"and got whopped again and then just said "ok". The referrence to casuals gives the idea that you are some how an elite boxing fan above others..I find that shhh laughable. Anytime people use the term casual it's self aggrandizing and self serving. I'm pretty sure there are folks on here who'd make you look like a casual so please cut that shhh out. You say he didn't show speed, the same snap...out well the fight is on HBO I rewatched it last night take a look at the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds..that dude still has the same snap and pop he always had he just doesn't have the ruthlessness and that's a maturity aging thing. Floyd was vulnerable early on vs Mosley and Mosley almost shocked the world...ended up getting his @ss whooped the rest of the fight but he almost pulled it off...nobody expected that and many fanboys virtually shhhh themselves when it happened. It's the one thing about boxing..we can sit here and compare, we can sit here and run off opinions...but in the ring anything can happen at any given time.
Cshel86
Gotta love how people are STILL trying to speak up for the very person who STILL can't speak up for himself...Mr. Manny Pacquaio himself. New year, same crock...nothing to see here.

laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 3 2014, 12:08 PM) *
I have watched every GGG fight and I am yet to be impressed with his footwork. His skill set is average and I am waiting on him to fight top competition. And GGG should be able to beat May, he being a middle weight in all.

C'mon now, I thought you were done talking outta the side of your neck. You should've left that in 2013. Really though, had you been talking about GGG vs another other fighter, his footwork would've been great. However, we're talking about him versus Mayweather, and suddenly, he's a white belt in the footwork department, while Floyd's a 10th degree black belt in all departments. Lol
BrutUalBK
This is by far the lousiest analysis Iíve ever read. Mr. Expert here calling himself a Ďhuge Manny Pacquiao faní, and yet the way he describes the two greats is like comparing heaven and earth. Itís like as if Manny will never ever be able to land a single punch to Floyd.

Manny is out of his element? Look.. we all knew who really won between Manny and Bradley.. and JMMís team was seriously considering stopping the fight, thanks for that last second lucky punch. While I agree that Canelo was quite a fighter Floyd easily defeated, Rios on the other hand wasnít a joke either, and look what Manny did to him.

I am so tired of hearing how Floyd will easily defeat Manny, with his great defence and being a master magician in the ring he is and this and that. But all of these are nothing but words and mere opinions. The fact still remains that Floyd Maynever has never before fought the likes of Manny Pacquiao. Period. And unless Floyd grow some balls, being Ďhis own bossí as he always brag, and stop all his lousy excuses, and stop worrying about his health etc etc..., we will never be able to know who really is the pound 4 pound king of our generation.

I didn't find anything lousy about it, I think he was genuinely honest but most PacTURDS do not agree with anything that doesn't end with an outcome of either Manny wins or that Floyd is afraid to fight him so therefore you Jay0Ann probably wouldn't agree. Out of all the forums I've ever been on and seen assessments about Manny this is the most honest one I can find and proves that this man(ryustuh) is no PacTURD. Now you may take offense to my use of the word PacTURD as though it is aimed at Manny when in fact it is aimed at those of his fans that go over the top when discussing him and have no objectivity whatsoever or those who just flat out say that Floyd didn't fight him because he's scared or other silly and simpleminded stuff like that.

As far as your talk about Manny and Bradley; well let's just say for the record which is official it is a loss and one in which if Pacquiao had believed he so "easily" won it then he should've been quick to come back and prove it in an immediate rematch instead of making excuses saying that Tim Bradley wasn't a Draw and now flip-flop and say he wants to fight him now after he saw the fight with Ruslan Provodnikov. My question would be; what's changed in making Tim a Draw all of a sudden? He still doesn't do Floyd numbers or even Manny numbers on his PPVs, so why wait to fight him now rather than when the ticket was hot after the immediate controversy on that decision from the first fight?

Saying idiotic PacTURD stuff like "unless Floyd grows some balls" only further shows that you're amongst that PacTURDIAN majority I spoke of earlier and you really do not want me to go there and show you how Bob Arum (who I blame) is the reason why this fight hasn't happened but I know it won't change your mind because you have NO OBJECTIVITY whatsoever. You say Floyd has never fought a fighter like Manny but that goes double for Pacquiao, he's never faced a boxer like Mayweather.

On to Rios, let's not go overboard on using Brandon Rios as a measuring stick to determine whether or not we have the old Manny Pacquiao of 2009 back because I don't consider a guy with the types of skills that Brandon Rios lacks as a way to judge whether or not we have that old Manny back. What Pacquiao should've did was came back and got an immediate rematch with Bradley before he took on JMM again, but to be truthfully honest he should've taken the blood tests and not made all of those excuses about needles hurt him and how having blood drawn weakens him and we would've already had the fight. Or better yet after his last KO loss he should've just taken the 40 million offer that Floyd made him instead of getting KO'd for far less vs JMM then we could've had the fight the 2nd time by now.

Either way you slice it Manny was offered the fight with Mayweather 2 times to which he balked on both occasions and that along with whatever Bob Arum told him is why we do not have this fight and probably never will as long as Manny is with Top Rank. Have you noticed that Bob Arum doesn't allow any of his fighters to face Mayweather? Even when Floyd was with Top Rank he never got the Cotto ro Margarito fights he asked for then, nor did he get the Oscar fight he wanted then which is why both of them left Top Rank and bought themselves out of the their Slave Contract (something Manny is either not smart enough to do or have some other reasons he can't/won't).

We can go on and on about this Floyd vs Manny debacle but the facts as to why this fight hasn't happened were proven long ago and are solely aimed at Arum and his unwillingness to do business with Mayweather Promotions and GBP. I think you should try to learn something from this guy (ryuhuh) because he has learned to separate his emotions from his logical abilities and focus on the facts (something PacTURDS can't do).
ryustuh
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 3 2014, 01:15 PM) *
Respectfully disagree 100% with the OP..but I do respect your right to an opinion. What kills me though is folks act like Brandon didn't catch Pacquaio flush and guess what nothing. It isn't like Pacquaio didn't try to play possum to get Rios to engage so he could go for the KO. If you actually look at the sequence of four punch combos it was head...mid section (to open up the head) and back to the head..guess what Rios did? Shell the hell up. How do you KO a guy with a great chin who says he didn't feel the power but spent the entire fight practically guarding his head. The other part people leave out is in the 12th Pacquaio socked the shhh out of Rios had him primed for a KO and stepped back..go to the 1:28 mark of the 12th round where you see Manny offering his glove to Rios like "you don't need to take any more damage..i'ma lay off. Rios was like "fk that"and got whopped again and then just said "ok". The referrence to casuals gives the idea that you are some how an elite boxing fan above others..I find that shhh laughable. Anytime people use the term casual it's self aggrandizing and self serving. I'm pretty sure there are folks on here who'd make you look like a casual so please cut that shhh out. You say he didn't show speed, the same snap...out well the fight is on HBO I rewatched it last night take a look at the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds..that dude still has the same snap and pop he always had he just doesn't have the ruthlessness and that's a maturity aging thing. Floyd was vulnerable early on vs Mosley and Mosley almost shocked the world...ended up getting his @ss whooped the rest of the fight but he almost pulled it off...nobody expected that and many fanboys virtually shhhh themselves when it happened. It's the one thing about boxing..we can sit here and compare, we can sit here and run off opinions...but in the ring anything can happen at any given time.

for the record, by "casual fan" i'm referring to the masses of people who tune into sportscenter for their boxing news. i'm writing on a grander scale here to try and help the sport of boxing gain more attention, and to give the unknown fighters more appeal. since you and i know more about the sport, i think it's our job not to fantasize about one fight that probably won't happen. again, we're giving the public the wrong impression about boxing when there's so much more to offer in the coming years.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 3 2014, 10:25 AM) *
C'mon now, I thought you were done talking outta the side of your neck. You should've left that in 2013. Really though, had you been talking about GGG vs another other fighter, his footwork would've been great. However, we're talking about him versus Mayweather, and suddenly, he's a white belt in the footwork department, while Floyd's a 10th degree black belt in all departments. Lol

Nope. I have stated about GGG many times his footwork needs work. I even picked Sergio Martinez to beat GGG based off GGG's footwork, come on, only Chuck Norris has a 10th degree in footwork.
Jovi2016
I wont mention pacquiao fight for 2014 after i seen the article, and for everything else like how he needs to beat bradley and Marquez again which is exactly why i see Mayweather fighting pac in 2015. I know he doesnt "Need" the fight per say but just fight the guy already since everyone is talking about it.

For May 2014 If Mayweather doesnt fight Khan or Maidana they should have the rematch on his undercard. Leaving the Main card for Sergio MArtinez...If Mayweather fights sergio, Cotto ends up fighting Canelo (hopefully; and not on the same card either but that would be awesome if it was)...The key for this card is to have both Argentinians, i think with both Maidana and Martinez on the card the ppv will do numbers. With Canelo and cotto too it would probably do over 2Mill but idk if that will be over budget.

For september: Fight the winner of Khan/Maidana 2, since the promotion will basically start right after the May card. Perfect buildup if Maidana gets the KO too, his stock is high right now, but with a Khan KO which im betting on, his stock will be at its highest for the Mayweather fight. Especially being on the PPV undercard in May.

Mayweather vs GGG would be awesome if it does happen but isnt GGG on TR too. If the fight does happen, i see Mayweather busting up GGG Arturo Gatti style. GGG's last fight really exposed his weakness and willingness of getting hit alot. GGG had that boogeyman effect.
aTYpicalTYrant
I see the 2 newest members are already going for each other on some Highlander shit. Lol
Dolimite
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Jan 3 2014, 02:15 PM) *
I see the 2 newest members are already going for each other on some Highlander shit. Lol

thread
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 3 2014, 02:06 AM) *
It's been so much bull from both sides I believe it's unbearable for fans to take in. But I think the money he was offered at that time was fair. And I wouldn't even give him 60/40 right now. He'd get 35% and he should be glad to take that. The sport is a business and so if your Arum, or Koncz or let's say your Pacquiao. You come to me for a fight with Floyd and you say x,y,z. I'm going to counter what ever you say by saying you want more then $40 mil and you have never "officially" released you real PPV numbers, your 1-2( and many believe 1-3 if you include Pacqioa-JMM 3), in your last 3 fights AND you have tax issues in the U.S. and in your won backyard" *click* phone goes dead

We can say all we want about Mayweather and his ways but I question the validity of Manny's PPV numbers, his income from those fights, and the attendance at those fights. Basically, I think the dude is popular but not as much as his fans thinks he is. If I was in charge of negotiations, he'd take at most 35% with no backend revenue and stfu and fight

Does he even get backend money from his PPV's under Arum? If not, how the hell you going to justify him getting a piece of PPV revenue and other back end money when he not getting it now

If he took that money it would of just been plain stupid, like I said, it'd be a gamble and if everybody else came up with more and Mannys there with fuck all compared to the rest it'd be the stupidest business decision made and that includes trusting Arum.
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 3 2014, 06:37 PM) *
If he took that money it would of just been plain stupid, like I said, it'd be a gamble and if everybody else came up with more and Mannys there with fuck all compared to the rest it'd be the stupidest business decision made and that includes trusting Arum.

He has questionable PPV numbers and that's putting it mildly. He does not deserve back end money. To be generous I'd give him a piece of the foreign rights but that's it. He's already coming up off the fight purse now he supposed to get 40% and he's not as viable as his fans think? Not one person on here or anywhere can tell me what's his highest grossing PPV. Not even his funny ass promoter. Manny's fights, at least some of them, have had too many comp'd tickets for somebody whose supposed to be a leading PPV draw. I think he deserves to get paid but he's not worth over $40 mil then or now. If he don't want to take what's given to him then that's cool. He's the one who needs the money any way.

The hell with Arum, I would like for someone to take a closer look at the contract of Pacquiao and his bout agreements. I suspect something is off there. Maybe that's another reason they wanted VisionQuest gone
mrchitown
QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Jan 3 2014, 04:15 PM) *

Just enjoy the action lol
checkleft
Didn't we just have a thread bashing threads just like this? Not that I mind the back and forth between the two newbies, just sayin
KOpower
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 3 2014, 12:08 PM) *

His footwork is really solid. It is far more refined than many. Don't forget that GGG has a very good amateur background. He is a fundamentally sound fighter. I think his style would be a nightmare for Floyd and I agree that Floyd should NOT be expected to fight him. I would love to see it, but I wouldn't blame Floyd at all for never fighting him.

I want to see GGG against better middleweights as well. I though Stevens was a good test, but after the stay-busy fight that's coming up I hope he is in there with a legitimate Top-10 middleweight.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 3 2014, 09:46 PM) *
His footwork is really solid. It is far more refined than many. Don't forget that GGG has a very good amateur background. He is a fundamentally sound fighter. I think his style would be a nightmare for Floyd and I agree that Floyd should NOT be expected to fight him. I would love to see it, but I wouldn't blame Floyd at all for never fighting him.

I want to see GGG against better middleweights as well. I though Stevens was a good test, but after the stay-busy fight that's coming up I hope he is in there with a legitimate Top-10 middleweight.

I think GGG is tailormade for Floyd, he's a slow plodder, that is flat footed and yes, he has punching power but he gets hit too much IMHO and Mayweather's fast hands and accuracy will find that target on him again and again potshotting him and then getting out of the way of the return and once 3G bulls in Floyd is smart enough to tie him up or use his Philly Shell defense to thwart or roll the punches off (not saying he blocks them all).

I think 3G should not be expected to fight Mayweather because it would be look at as bullying by picking a smaller guy especially if he goes down in weight and I think Floyd's style is all wrong for 3G and would be a nightmare for him because he wouldn't be fast enough to catch him and he's too flat-footed. I would love to see it, but I wouldn't blame 3G at all for never fighting him.

I think 3G would be better off trying to move up and take on a bigger challenge in Andre Ward, who I think knocks him out because he can take what 3G dishes but I wonder if 3G can take what AW dishes out.
AZWildCat
Walks in looks around search.gif search.gif search.gif search.gif turns around and walks out
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 02:27 AM) *
He has questionable PPV numbers and that's putting it mildly. He does not deserve back end money. To be generous I'd give him a piece of the foreign rights but that's it. He's already coming up off the fight purse now he supposed to get 40% and he's not as viable as his fans think? Not one person on here or anywhere can tell me what's his highest grossing PPV. Not even his funny ass promoter. Manny's fights, at least some of them, have had too many comp'd tickets for somebody whose supposed to be a leading PPV draw. I think he deserves to get paid but he's not worth over $40 mil then or now. If he don't want to take what's given to him then that's cool. He's the one who needs the money any way.

The hell with Arum, I would like for someone to take a closer look at the contract of Pacquiao and his bout agreements. I suspect something is off there. Maybe that's another reason they wanted VisionQuest gone

Oh no I don't mean he gets 40 million and fight purse. I mean basically after the TV companies take there share, and that crap, the fighters split everything down to 60-40. Guaranteed money would become a part of that. If he got the 40 million as well as that I'd give him 30% then.
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 4 2014, 09:11 AM) *
Oh no I don't mean he gets 40 million and fight purse. I mean basically after the TV companies take there share, and that crap, the fighters split everything down to 60-40. Guaranteed money would become a part of that. If he got the 40 million as well as that I'd give him 30% then.

He does deserve a piece of that, it's not like he doesn't bring anything to a promotion. This is all for nothing if he re-signs with Arum. Which is why I'm curious to see if he has the courage to leave and go after the fight.

Cotto isn't tied to any promotional company and is able to fight anyone he wants. The same for Mayweather, though he chooses to deal exclusively with GB. I wonder if Manny is built for that. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I think he could pull it off
mrchitown
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 4 2014, 12:50 AM) *
I think GGG is tailormade for Floyd, he's a slow plodder, that is flat footed and yes, he has punching power but he gets hit too much IMHO and Mayweather's fast hands and accuracy will find that target on him again and again potshotting him and then getting out of the way of the return and once 3G bulls in Floyd is smart enough to tie him up or use his Philly Shell defense to thwart or roll the punches off (not saying he blocks them all).

I think 3G should not be expected to fight Mayweather because it would be look at as bullying by picking a smaller guy especially if he goes down in weight and I think Floyd's style is all wrong for 3G and would be a nightmare for him because he wouldn't be fast enough to catch him and he's too flat-footed. I would love to see it, but I wouldn't blame 3G at all for never fighting him.

I think 3G would be better off trying to move up and take on a bigger challenge in Andre Ward, who I think knocks him out because he can take what 3G dishes but I wonder if 3G can take what AW dishes out.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mayweather fight GGG but why is this fight being called for when he got an ass whopping with his name on it, courtesy of Andre Ward. That's GGG's biggest problem. His trainer is a good one. Abel Sanchez but he knows what's up....listen to his interviews. Their so ready to drop down in weight but when that Ward fight comes up, both Golovkin and Sanchez claim the fight isn't ready to happen yet and Gennady has business at MW. But every time Floyd name brought up they willing to drop down..look at it now, they offering they're opinion on Floyd fighting Khan. I done seen 3 articles this week on it. They know Ward gon end his world

GGG has liabilities like any other fighter, he does cut off the ring well. I like the way he sets his shots up too. But defensively and his footwork is spotty sometimes. Rosado was getting hit but he was clearly troubling Golovkin. Stevens lost but he was doing his thing too. I like Golovkin but the opinions of him are too high. He's not as good as fans thinks he is. Though he does have the potential to be what fans think he currently is
Jovi2016
GGG is in a lose-lose situation. Either move down and get outclassed by Mayweather or move up and get smashed on by the bigger stronger Andre ward. Both really entertaining fights though
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 03:26 PM) *
I wouldn't mind seeing Mayweather fight GGG but why is this fight being called for when he got an ass whopping with his name on it, courtesy of Andre Ward. That's GGG's biggest problem. His trainer is a good one. Abel Sanchez but he knows what's up....listen to his interviews. Their so ready to drop down in weight but when that Ward fight comes up, both Golovkin and Sanchez claim the fight isn't ready to happen yet and Gennady has business at MW. But every time Floyd name brought up they willing to drop down..look at it now, they offering they're opinion on Floyd fighting Khan. I done seen 3 articles this week on it. They know Ward gon end his world

GGG has liabilities like any other fighter, he does cut off the ring well. I like the way he sets his shots up too. But defensively and his footwork is spotty sometimes. Rosado was getting hit but he was clearly troubling Golovkin. Stevens lost but he was doing his thing too. I like Golovkin but the opinions of him are too high. He's not as good as fans thinks he is. Though he does have the potential to be what fans think he currently is

Cause while Ward is the 2nd p4p fighter in the world, to me, it wouldn't be as big a deal to beat him than it is to beat Mayweather. Beating Mayweather is like winning the world cup, the superbowl and whatever basketball teams want all at the same time
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 03:26 PM) *

Cause while Ward is the 2nd p4p fighter in the world, to me, it wouldn't be as big a deal to beat him than it is to beat Mayweather. Beating Mayweather is like winning the world cup, the superbowl and whatever basketball teams want all at the same time
checkleft
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Jan 4 2014, 01:42 PM) *
GGG is in a lose-lose situation. Either move down and get outclassed by Mayweather or move up and get smashed on by the bigger stronger Andre ward. Both really entertaining fights though

Ward is not a big smw...
Jovi2016
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 4 2014, 03:22 PM) *
Ward is not a big smw...

I meant bigger compared to Mayweather. GGG and Andre are close in height.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 4 2014, 02:22 PM) *
Ward is not a big smw...

Ward has a nice athletic build and those who've faced him says he's stronger then he looks. I've seen Ward up close and he's not that small
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 4 2014, 01:21 PM) *

Your right about that. Who wouldn't want to defeat the consensus best fighter on the planet. It does mean more then beating #2 and always will but Golovkin ain't the fighter to beat neither imo. He has a chance but everyone with 2 hands has a chance, having a chance don't mean shit if you can't capitalize off of it and I don't think Abel Sanchez is the trainer and nor do I think Golovkin is smart enough to compete against either guy
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 06:35 PM) *
Ward has a nice athletic build and those who've faced him says he's stronger then he looks. I've seen Ward up close and he's not that small

Precision hurts.

Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 3 2014, 02:42 PM) *
Nope. I have stated about GGG many times his footwork needs work. I even picked Sergio Martinez to beat GGG based off GGG's footwork, come on, only Chuck Norris has a 10th degree in footwork.

LOL, now that I think about it, I have seen you say things about GGG's footwork. I think GGG's footwork is better...Sergio just moves a lot.

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Jan 3 2014, 05:15 PM) *

laugh.gif

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 4 2014, 09:39 AM) *
Walks in looks around search.gif search.gif search.gif search.gif turns around and walks out

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.