Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ESPN FIGHTER OF THE YEAR 2013
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MAHDI
DID HE DESERVE IT?
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 3 2014, 12:53 PM) *
DID HE DESERVE IT?

Well he did beat 2 of the best fighters of late and basically came out unscathed but in reality there are/were so many candidates for the FOTY it is really hard to say who deserve it more.

Bradley comes to mind, so does Danny Garcia and maybe even Stevenson, Kovalev and a few others.

Who knows what is the overall criteria that will or should determine who "deserves" it as opposed to who really "earned" it??
Dolimite
anything on espn is a popularity contest. That is howvhevwon. The casual fan only knows two names in boxing. Stevenson, Bradley and Garcia would of gotten my vote.
kej718
He was in the Biggest fight/event of the year vs Canelo @150
and beat "The Ghost" @ 147
Defended 2 titles in 2 weight classes

Timothy Bradley is my second choice because he was in arguably the fight of the year against Ruslan Provodnikov and beat Juan Manuel Marquez convincingly.

Danny Garcia would be 3rd on my list

I like Stevenson but Dawson was already Knocked out by Ward so that kind of took away from the win. Had Stevenson and Kovalev fought each other the winner of that fight would have got it in my opinion.
AZWildCat
Most popular of the year yeah fighter of the year no...I had kryptonite kov taking that title by winning 4x in '13 against respectable comp in highlight reel fashion
MAHDI
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 3 2014, 06:51 PM) *
Most popular of the year yeah fighter of the year no...I had kryptonite kov taking that title by winning 4x in '13 against respectable comp in highlight reel fashion

Mayweather displayed a mastery in his bouts that has not been replicated... He walked away from opponents who were said to pose him problems unscathed and hardly breathing------ simply on another level- kinda of like EDWIN MOSES when he was doing the hurdles... simply on another level
checkleft
I would have rather gave it to a fresh face, ie Danny or Bradley but I'm just happy ESPN actually did something other than go at floyds throat. Congrats to Floyd, its like giving the mvp to Lebron every year. Ya can't go wrong
AZWildCat
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 3 2014, 09:22 PM) *
Mayweather displayed a mastery in his bouts that has not been replicated... He walked away from opponents who were said to pose him problems unscathed and hardly breathing------ simply on another level- kinda of like EDWIN MOSES when he was doing the hurdles... simply on another level

Never questioned the greatness just the true fighter of the year
MAHDI
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 3 2014, 11:25 PM) *
Never questioned the greatness just the true fighter of the year

Understanding understood. I just feel that the manner in which he performed in 2013 makes him fighter of the year. Relative to pugilism and the essence of sweet science he did it better than anyone and deserves the award, yet I understand arguments for Garcia. Garcia was a strong candidate and I would have had no problem if he won the award. He did good work against world class competition. He owned mattthyse and that was impressive
AZWildCat
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 4 2014, 09:53 AM) *
Understanding understood. I just feel that the manner in which he performed in 2013 makes him fighter of the year. Relative to pugilism and the essence of sweet science he did it better than anyone and deserves the award, yet I understand arguments for Garcia. Garcia was a strong candidate and I would have had no problem if he won the award. He did good work against world class competition. He owned mattthyse and that was impressive

Garcia had one impressive win this year and while it was a great one not enough to be fighter of the year...that title should say I shook things the fuck up this year.
Franchize
Garcia, Stevenson or Bradley won, I would have no arguments but it's foolish to say "he didn't deserve it" or "it was a popularity contest." He beat a Guerrero who was at his peak and beat the best Jr Middleweight in the world. Let's not act like he fought one time this year against some C class opposition or something.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 4 2014, 04:11 PM) *
Garcia, Stevenson or Bradley won, I would have no arguments but it's foolish to say "he didn't deserve it" or "it was a popularity contest." He beat a Guerrero who was at his peak and beat the best Jr Middleweight in the world. Let's not act like he fought one time this year against some C class opposition or something.

I mean if we going that route rigo should have been in the mix as well...ijs

How was canelo the best 154? Guerrero was solid I can agree wit that he beat aydin who at the time was being avoided and gave berto who was still deemed a legit threat at the time a brutal beat down. was he the best no but he was solid . What 154 did red beat to be called the best?
Cshel86
Garcia, FOTY for 2013
sduck
Congrats, my vote like many others would be for Garcia or Bradley, but Floyd did his thing, can't take that away from him.

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 4 2014, 07:12 PM) *
I mean if we going that route rigo should have been in the mix as well...ijs

How was canelo the best 154? Guerrero was solid I can agree wit that he beat aydin who at the time was being avoided and gave berto who was still deemed a legit threat at the time a brutal beat down. was he the best no but he was solid . What 154 did red beat to be called the best?

Austin Trout?
ryustuh
IMO, GGG definitely deserves a nod for 2013 FOTY for fighting 4 times (UNREAL), and defeating his opposition in dominant fashion. granted the fighters he faced aren't at the top of the division, but i would list rosado, macklin, and curtis stevens as (b+/a-) solid tough opponents. also, i'm a supporter of highlighting lesser known boxers even though that's not in ESPN's repertoire. gennady FTW
checkleft
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 4 2014, 09:13 PM) *
IMO, GGG definitely deserves a nod for 2013 FOTY for fighting 4 times (UNREAL), and defeating his opposition in dominant fashion. granted the fighters he faced aren't at the top of the division, but i would list rosado, macklin, and curtis stevens as (b+/a-) solid tough opponents. also, i'm a supporter of highlighting lesser known boxers even though that's not in ESPN's repertoire. gennady FTW

ESPN is on gggs shaft and sack.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (sduck @ Jan 4 2014, 10:05 PM) *
Austin Trout?

And class is dismissed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.