Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's The Hold Up With Martinez-Cotto being made official?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
I know it's still a bit early, but the buzz is in full effect and these two been throwing jabs back and forward for a while now, yet the fight ain't even official yet. Is there a problem in negotiations or is Sergio still rehabbing his injury and may need to postpone? I'd hate to read this fight being called off or relocated from the garden. Anyone have a news update on this?
mgrover
Sergio may hold out for more monies? At this stage of his career I wouldn't blame him.
AZWildCat
From what I read Cotto making a whole bunch of demands that don't sit well with Martinez ....hope all that bs gets sorted out.
Jovi2016
The only reason i can think of that Martinez actually has options. 1 being Mayweather. In one article he stated "there an offer to fight Floyd but i dont think he'll take it" somewhere along those lines...Its just a matter of who's demands will Martinez agree to, I believe if he didn't have the chance for Mayweather then he would be signed on to another fight already, just like all these other fuus Garcia/Maidana/Khan etc.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Jan 4 2014, 02:49 PM) *
The only reason i can think of that Martinez actually has options. 1 being Mayweather. In one article he stated "there an offer to fight Floyd but i dont think he'll take it" somewhere along those lines...Its just a matter of who's demands will Martinez agree to, I believe if he didn't have the chance for Mayweather then he would be signed on to another fight already, just like all these other fuus Garcia/Maidana/Khan etc.

for September that'd be dope but it won't happen in may. Someone from 40 to 47(maybe 54) Will get that.

checkleft
The fight seems as good as done..
Jovi2016
Either Way Sergio is Cashing out this year. Him fighting Cotto i think is an awesome fight since i dont know Sergio's condition after his last fight. To me I think Sergio is too big for Cotto, a bigger version of Pacquiao basically. Alot of right hooks and left hands, if Sergio is healthy i'd lean towards him but Cotto hasn't been dominated in awhile so I'm tuned in either way.

Sergio's last outing is a big big variable though. Either Murray was that good or Sergio was that bad, even both; but i didn't think he'd be lasting so long after that fight. He's up there in age and his fighting style does nothing to help his durability at all, if he's not amazing then i think this will be his last year before he retires. He might as well set the year up so he has big money fights before he goes out. If he fights with May in May then he's good for the first half of year then fight Cotto and peel out. Even throw a Canelo fight in there around september then have Cotto in December.

2 fights he may not have to worry about being crippled after. Canelo fight might put him out.....I was delusional to believe GGG should fight Martinez so soon, I wanna see him rise through the ranks first, get some more highlights and save him for Ward. He may be too late for Sergio unless he comes back from retirement which i think he should do.
mrchitown
The hold up is Cotto is being a diva, according to team Martinez. I wish they would just get the contracts singed so Cotto could get to work on this beat down he about to get
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 04:22 PM) *
The hold up is Cotto is being a diva, according to team Martinez. I wish they would just get the contracts singed so Cotto could get to work on this beat down he about to get

Cotto wants the big slice of the pie. I think he is asking for like 15 million and he wants the fight to be at the Garden, I don't think Sergio has a problem the venue but he also feels that he deserves a big slice of the pie. Cotto wants to be the A side of the promotion, I guess beating Rodriguez gave him the leg up. Arum ain't giving Cotto or Sergio real money. Arum might give them 3 million a piece and a coupon at IHOP.
sduck
lol Cotto knows this is a bad fight for him, Sergio is going to eat him up.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 4 2014, 06:28 PM) *
Cotto wants the big slice of the pie. I think he is asking for like 15 million and he wants the fight to be at the Garden, I don't think Sergio has a problem the venue but he also feels that he deserves a big slice of the pie. Cotto wants to be the A side of the promotion, I guess beating Rodriguez gave him the leg up. Arum ain't giving Cotto or Sergio real money. Arum might give them 3 million a piece and a coupon at IHOP.

Cotto is the A-side of this fight. Let's not forget that's he's a proven PPV attraction, he deserves the lion's share of the money from this fight. Now with that said. Martinez has said that his issue is that Cotto is not respecting him as the champion. I can see where he's coming from with that. It's his title and he can tell Miguel to fuck off and go fight another MW belt holder but we all know why he chose Sergio. Cotto's team isn't dumb, put him in with anybody else with a belt at 160 and he gets KO'd quicker then what he's probably going to get in this one

Think about it? If Martinez wasn't on his way out of the sport and hadn't of struggled and got injured, we wouldn't be talking about this they think they got them a clear shot to a MW title but to me even a banged up Martinez toys with Cotto. The only fights Cotto isn't the A-side is against Floyd and Manny. I think he should be the A-side against Canelo if they ever face off
AZWildCat
If Cotto take this fight for less than 9 milli he needs to shoot his management and do away wit his promotional company ASAP. GBP offered him 10. if its about the money he should have took it. if it's about his legacy he should take the fight and cut all the pampered star shit out.
Cshel86
Cotto aint gettin' NOTHIN' close to $10M for this fight...let alone $15M.

I can see him maybe getting about $6M out of this, and thats AFTER gate sales and PR PPV (if applicable). Sergio wont get more than 3 or 4 million for this, and my gut is telling me $3M.

If we were talking Cotto vs Chavez at MW (which was somewhat entertained a few short years ago), then I can see $15M (or close) being discussed. Even then...that $15M would be SPLIT between the two of them. laugh.gif
aTYpicalTYrant
Who the Fuck is Cotto's advisor? I swear it feels like I'm always disappointed by his business decisions as if I know him... He has no business fighting at 154 because he's just a blown up welterweight, he has stamina issues, and it's been proven that slick left handers are his Kryptonite.... He took less money to fight an opponent his team considers wounded. Sergio is going bust his ass for real. It's almost like Miguel is begging to be on journeyman status.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 08:27 PM) *
Cotto is the A-side of this fight. Let's not forget that's he's a proven PPV attraction, he deserves the lion's share of the money from this fight. Now with that said. Martinez has said that his issue is that Cotto is not respecting him as the champion. I can see where he's coming from with that. It's his title and he can tell Miguel to fuck off and go fight another MW belt holder but we all know why he chose Sergio. Cotto's team isn't dumb, put him in with anybody else with a belt at 160 and he gets KO'd quicker then what he's probably going to get in this one

Think about it? If Martinez wasn't on his way out of the sport and hadn't of struggled and got injured, we wouldn't be talking about this they think they got them a clear shot to a MW title but to me even a banged up Martinez toys with Cotto. The only fights Cotto isn't the A-side is against Floyd and Manny. I think he should be the A-side against Canelo if they ever face off

can't argue with you. I guess this is Cotto's chance to be a diva.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 4 2014, 11:11 PM) *
can't argue with you. I guess this is Cotto's chance to be a diva.

I guess it is. But Martinez is the one with the belt, you just can't expect him to roll over
daprofessor
Whatever way u slice it...both guys want to get this right. A loss for either is going to be detrimental. I think it's a good fight for both guys. While I agree that Martinez is the champ and deserves respect, it's Cotto who is the big draw in NYC and its Cotto that is taking the bigger risk in this match up. With all of that being said...I want to see this one play out. I'm a fan of both guys.
mgrover
Cotto has the jab to trouble Sergio, but Sergio is one awkward mofo.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 7 2014, 05:20 PM) *
Whatever way u slice it...both guys want to get this right. A loss for either is going to be detrimental. I think it's a good fight for both guys. While I agree that Martinez is the champ and deserves respect, it's Cotto who is the big draw in NYC and its Cotto that is taking the bigger risk in this match up. With all of that being said...I want to see this one play out. I'm a fan of both guys.

Screw that, who ya got in this one laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 7 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Cotto has the jab to trouble Sergio, but Sergio is one awkward mofo.

That great jab and the fact that he's back to throwing to the body with bad intentions
Gambit808
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 7 2014, 08:13 PM) *
That great jab and the fact that he's back to throwing to the body with bad intentions

...but who knows how much of an effect those body shots will have on a solid Middleweight champ who has fought a lot bigger and heavier hitters in his career. Cotto is still 50/50 competing at Jr. MW and the only time he has found success in that weight was going through C level and down fighters he was suppose to beat in the first place. He's had/will have trouble with all these top fighters at this weight, and now going against Champion in a higher weight class, his best shot is that Martinez is a shot rusty aging fighter who hasen't recovered 100% from injury, because if this isn't the case, I don't see this fight even considered to being made and that's saying a lot because Cotto generally fights everybody.
Cshel86
Yall aint real Cotto fans...his real fans wouldn't rush this asswhoopin' that he's about to get in June!

laugh.gif

A good ol' country asswhoopin' is in the works as we speak...lol
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 7 2014, 10:15 PM) *
Yall aint real Cotto fans...his real fans wouldn't rush this asswhoopin' that he's about to get in June!

laugh.gif

A good ol' country asswhoopin' is in the works as we speak...lol

Curiosity Cshel. Curiosity in how bad of a asswhoopin' is handed out or if Martinez is at the stage of decline in his career that retirement is knockin' at his front door with Cotto on the other side to tell em to do so lol.

Like the point I'm trying to make is if Martinez is still Martinez, then Cotto may be in trouble.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 7 2014, 10:35 PM) *
Curiosity Cshel. Curiosity in how bad of a asswhoopin' is handed out or if Martinez is at the stage of decline in his career that retirement is knockin' at his front door with Cotto on the other side to tell em to do so lol.

Like the point I'm trying to make is if Martinez is still Martinez, then Cotto may be in trouble.

They're both a jab and a left hook away from seeing the birdies anyway, lol.

I'm trolling here Gambit...thought you knew me by now.

laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 7 2014, 09:05 PM) *
...but who knows how much of an effect those body shots will have on a solid Middleweight champ who has fought a lot bigger and heavier hitters in his career. Cotto is still 50/50 competing at Jr. MW and the only time he has found success in that weight was going through C level and down fighters he was suppose to beat in the first place. He's had/will have trouble with all these top fighters at this weight, and now going against Champion in a higher weight class, his best shot is that Martinez is a shot rusty aging fighter who hasen't recovered 100% from injury, because if this isn't the case, I don't see this fight even considered to being made and that's saying a lot because Cotto generally fights everybody.

I think Martinez will beat him. But this is an interesting matchup. Cotto has a great jab and since he's throwing to the body again, that could spell trouble for Martinez. Roy Jones said it best when he said Cotto would have to jump on Martinez. Martinez's stamina for the last few years has been almost as bad as Canelo's. Those body shots early will definitely pay dividends later in the fight. Hitting to the body has an effect on everybody, Martinez is a solid MW but if Cotto presses him and throws with conviction to the body it could be trouble. Good fight but I fully expect Martinez to win
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.