Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broner-Chino 2 (Broner-Maidana Rematch?)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
ryustuh
just saw the tweets sent out by AB. kudos to him for wanting to jump in there immediately to avenge his only loss, but what do you guys think? too soon? ab's kind of in a sticky situation...jumping back down to 135-140 and mowing down the competition will hardly gain him anymore respect from fans, but staying at WW could be dangerous with all the killers in the division.

i actually think ab would take chino in a rematch if it happens. of course, broner cant afford to slack or clown the first few rounds. given that he started landing solid counters in rounds 10-12 that had chino hurt, i think if ab had a fresh head on his shoulders he would've dominated most of the fight from the get-go. the element of surprise is what finished adrien from the start. someone mentioned in the comments that if floyd doesn't face chino himself, he could put him up against lil bro' on the undercard, which would be sick.
karmine20
I honestly believe that Adrien broner has the tools needed in order to defeat Marcos chico madana and anybody else. He just needs to be more dedicated to the sport and respect all of his opponents. His blatent disrespect of his opponents is what did him in. Remember there is a thin line between confidence and arrogance and he clearly dismatled that line. I understand this era is basically flat footed fighters but he needs to be able to box and move and not so willing to engage in brawls bc he doesnt have the chin he had at the lower weights. One would say that his chin was never affected bc he is now fighting better competition and then he wasnt ie the little guy he fought before demarco. I would also like to see to him make adjustments on the fly a lot better and faster but i also believe that could be apart of the arragance part.
Jovi2016
The Quick rise and Fast hard fall of AB. Those initials are for anyone that fits the criteria.

If Broner fights Maidana or anyone else at 147 he loses, period. His body didn't grow into the weight like he shouldve done so the more he fights at 147 and just keeps his body there i dont see any improvements.

What could he do different that would expect different results? Probably actually use footwork but you can't learn footwork and grow a chin overnight. When everyone gave Broner flack for the Malinaggi fight, we were right, he wasn't impressive at 147 at all, and actually every fight at 147 exposed more and more weaknesses. Out of all his potential fights i thought Maidana was the easiest, imagine if he had fought Matthysse, Garcia, or Thurman; all 3 would put Broner to sleep. Broner was good the FIRST time i saw him, but he wasn't great just good, and has done worst every outing since.

People are forgetting that if they come back for the rematch Maidana will be hungrier and even better and more crisp than before since he KNOWS how to beat Broner. If Maidana can make that left hook and right straight look like Matthysse's then Broner gets slept, he cant handle Maidana's punches which were alot of the times off balanced.

Putting this fight on the May 3rd undercard would be very interesting indeed...I just really really really don't wanna see Mayweather/Khan am i the only one?
ryustuh
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Jan 9 2014, 03:43 PM) *
Putting this fight on the May 3rd undercard would be very interesting indeed...I just really really really don't wanna see Mayweather/Khan am i the only one?

i dont really want to see khan floyd either...but if it's actually possible to put broner chino 2 on the undercard, i'd have to give in and say yes. i think ab does need to work on his footwork as opposed to staying planted in the pocket all the time. but even moreso, he needs to learn how to protect himself from chino's wicked left hook. chino used the same feint/combo that cotto used against floyd. start off with a jab to the body. feint the jab and go upstairs with a hook. landed it every single time, and i'm surprised broner didn't catch on earlier.

if i were in chino's camp, i would actually diversify my plan of attack since ab would probably expect the left hook in the rematch. ab's counter to a looping left hook would be a simultaneous lead straight right. chino should feint a check hook to get ab to commit to a counter right, then double up on the left and land when ab's open. would have to take some masterful timing and practice, but i've seen it done by captain hook rjj. not saying maidana's even close to his level in term of boxing ability or speed, but could be done with enough practice.
mrchitown
If Broner is focused and stops bullshitting and playign around then he can beat Maidana. Most on here was rooting for Maidana out of pure spite, now everybody's all of a sudden expert on shit lol. The truth is nobody in this forum was confident in their picks, I wasn't even confident in picking Broner and he did and still does have more upside then Marcos

I'm not going to give the BS that some are giving, Broner lost but he did't get dominated. That fight was close up until the 2nd knockdown and Maidana caught his 2nd wind. Everybody talks about how Broner looked in the fight against Maidana and this that and the third but no one talks about how he won the rounds AFTER the 1st knockdown, he was coming on until he got caught late in the fight and he won a round or 2 after that.

Maidana has improved under Garcia but as good as he performed I saw some of the same flaws that he's had previously, the boy just fades, he could've dominated that fight but he ain't got the motor to do it. And he's not hard to hit. Broner can win this fight niot even improving his footwork. He can beat Marcos by working rigorously on defense, moving his head, and upping his punch out put. If he throws more punches he could beat Marcos. Your not going to beat any welter with the punch output like Broner has...he better step his game up if he gets this rematch...it was an upset but it's being over valued by too many. Maidana won but by no means does that mean he would win the rematch. Just because he won the first one don't mean shit...it's plenty of fights throughout history to prove that point. Maidana has room for improvement too and that should scare the shit out of Broner
ryustuh
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 9 2014, 06:32 PM) *
If Broner is focused and stops bullshitting and playign around then he can beat Maidana. Most on here was rooting for Maidana out of pure spite, now everybody's all of a sudden expert on shit lol. The truth is nobody in this forum was confident in their picks, I wasn't even confident in picking Broner and he did and still does have more upside then Marcos

I'm not going to give the BS that some are giving, Broner lost but he did't get dominated. That fight was close up until the 2nd knockdown and Maidana caught his 2nd wind. Everybody talks about how Broner looked in the fight against Maidana and this that and the third but no one talks about how he won the rounds AFTER the 1st knockdown, he was coming on until he got caught late in the fight and he won a round or 2 after that.

think those who have posted so far (cept jovi) agree with you that broner has a good chance of winning in a rematch if he stops dicking around, and that he was finding success later in the first fight. like you, i had ab as my pick going into the first bout. gotta hand it to team maidana and robert garcia that night...they had the more aggressive fighter, and i think they had a spot-on gameplan.
checkleft
If he stops training in strip clubs and bars.. I would say he has a good chance
Dolimite
if May picks Maidana then what? Broner was getting in Marcos's ass in the later rounds. If he fought that way from jump he would if won and people would be screaming for a Floyd and Broner fight.
Jovi2016
The only reason i wouldn't take Broner is this: Everyone is saying that "IF Broner is dedicated/focused" etc. The thing is Broner NEVER proved that he was a dedicated elite boxer, he didn't seem disciplined at all. And the funny thing was that this fight he was saying "This is my BEST training camp ever", "I've never been more focused on a fight before." Broner doesn't adjust and seems to have the same mentality he's always had, hes not disciplined in or out the ring and by now he's all talk to me. I can probably look back on alot of threads and people predicted he would lose for precisely this reason.

Is it possible for Broner to win? Obviously. But as of lately I see Maidana has improved much more than Broner has. Its just destiny, Broner is an example of what NOT to do. plus if Broner wins then what? Amir khan? Danny Garcia? Matthysse? Keith Thurman? Porter? Alexander?....Any of the mentioned names Broner most likely takes the L against... Gotta rememeber guys, Maidana didnt even knock down Amir Khan, Alexander smacked up Maidana.

Broner's chin is very questionable to me at this point.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Jan 9 2014, 11:09 PM) *
The only reason i wouldn't take Broner is this: Everyone is saying that "IF Broner is dedicated/focused" etc. The thing is Broner NEVER proved that he was a dedicated elite boxer, he didn't seem disciplined at all. And the funny thing was that this fight he was saying "This is my BEST training camp ever", "I've never been more focused on a fight before." Broner doesn't adjust and seems to have the same mentality he's always had, hes not disciplined in or out the ring and by now he's all talk to me. I can probably look back on alot of threads and people predicted he would lose for precisely this reason.

Is it possible for Broner to win? Obviously. But as of lately I see Maidana has improved much more than Broner has. Its just destiny, Broner is an example of what NOT to do. plus if Broner wins then what? Amir khan? Danny Garcia? Matthysse? Keith Thurman? Porter? Alexander?....Any of the mentioned names Broner most likely takes the L against... Gotta rememeber guys, Maidana didnt even knock down Amir Khan, Alexander smacked up Maidana.

Broner's chin is very questionable to me at this point.

He has a questionable chin but yet the man still won 5rds of that fight...easily. he's a prick but his talent is undeniable. Maidana has improved more then Adrien, this is true but up until the second knockdown he was blowing the fight. I think the loss could have some negative affects on Broner but we will have to see how he performs the next time out. We can say what we want but the fact is he lost but he wasn't dominated. If that knockdown late in the fight hadn't of occurred we may not even be discussing this right now.

I agree that he has things to work on, he needs to improve in some key areas. But that doesn't mean he won't, he needs to take this seriously. The question isn't can he beat Maidana, the real question is can he give the sport 100%? We don't know the answer to that so I deem it unfair to assume what he will and won't do.

Maidana will have the edge going into the rematch but I'd like to see what adjustments Stafford and Broner make to insure a victory. I felt Broner got good instructions from his corner, he just fought the way he wanted to fight and didn't listen. And despite all that I saw a guy get up off the canvas and win rounds after being knocked down...and let's say he does get by Maidana, why the hell are you so sure he loses to those fighters? They fight the fights for a reason.

Smarter and more knowledgeable boxing minds then me and you even get it wrong sometimes. We don't know how a fight turns out til the 2 combatants lace up and go at it. So dint be so sure to write the kid off in those fantasy match ups you reeled off
mrchitown
Also, listen to what Broner said. I will never understand why people dismiss Broner's ring intelligence. He knows what to do, just on that particular night he couldn't do it. He said "Maidana outhustled me" and he's right. Maidana did outhustle him, if Broner wants to compete with the welter's and the elite fighters of the sport l, he's going to have to raise his punch output. If he's busier he will have more success....I'd like to hear what Maidana has to say about all this. He's probably sitting bsck.snd enjoying the victory still
The Original MrFactor
The only time I really saw a shift in the fight was when Broner hit Maidana after the bell in the 11th(i think it was). Broner really appeared to hurt Maidana with that illegal shot. other then that I thought Maidana was in control of the fight. i see the same thing going down a second time if it happens.
checkleft
Did I read someone saying broners chin is questionable?? He just made it through 12 rounds, competitively, after being dropped by one of the biggest punchers in the sport and that screams out "glass chin" to you? Lol

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 10 2014, 01:05 AM) *
Also, listen to what Broner said. I will never understand why people dismiss Broner's ring intelligence. He knows what to do, just on that particular night he couldn't do it. He said "Maidana outhustled me" and he's right. Maidana did outhustle him, if Broner wants to compete with the welter's and the elite fighters of the sport l, he's going to have to raise his punch output. If he's busier he will have more success....I'd like to hear what Maidana has to say about all this. He's probably sitting bsck.snd enjoying the victory still

If broner incresed his output, he also increases the chance that he gets hit back. he has short arms and has to be in range to punch and be punched. Unlike Mayweather who has a reach advantage everytime he goes in, Broner doesnt and will get hit when in range.
mrchitown
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 10 2014, 01:52 AM) *
If broner incresed his output, he also increases the chance that he gets hit back. he has short arms and has to be in range to punch and be punched. Unlike Mayweather who has a reach advantage everytime he goes in, Broner doesnt and will get hit when in range.

You just said that Maidana was in control of the fight in a previous post, no diss but I'm not really listening to you lol

If he wants to compete with top fighters and if he wants to fight fighters in a weight class that's not his natural division then he's going to have to up his punch output. What defensive studs are in welter, there are few that could make him pay. Each of the rounds he got knocked down in the next round he got up and won them. And the rounds he won he won them with activity
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 10 2014, 01:52 AM) *
Did I read someone saying broners chin is questionable?? He just made it through 12 rounds, competitively, after being dropped by one of the biggest punchers in the sport and that screams out "glass chin" to you? Lol

I'm dying over here lol
ryustuh
Would all the AB haters be just as critical of his skills in the ring had he not opened his mouth and gabbed so much? Gotta learn to disassociate between your personal distaste for his antics and what he can actually do as a fighter.

Don't forget this guy almost shut out a slick boxer in Paulie. I thought this fight was much more one-sided than any of the judges had it. Not saying Paulie's the best in the division, but he's up there as top opposition, and I think AB put on a counter puncher's clinic that night.

From the tweets, I give Broner credit for finally being mature and congratulating Chino as the better fighter in the first fight. I do think the loss has tamed AB down a bit, and hopefully with a renewed focus, he can actually show fans his true potential. Someone posted that he has no faith in AB because of a segment he saw of Broner claiming the training camp leading up to the fight with Chino was his best and hardest yet. This happens all the time - it's every boxer's job to hype up the fight and sell himself - it's called making money.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 9 2014, 06:32 PM) *

Maidana has improved under Garcia but as good as he performed I saw some of the same flaws that he's had previously, the boy just fades, he could've dominated that fight but he ain't got the motor to do it. And he's not hard to hit. Broner can win this fight niot even improving his footwork. He can beat Marcos by working rigorously on defense, moving his head, and upping his punch out put. If he throws more punches he could beat Marcos. Your not going to beat any welter with the punch output like Broner has...he better step his game up if he gets this rematch...it was an upset but it's being over valued by too many. Maidana won but by no means does that mean he would win the rematch. Just because he won the first one don't mean shit...it's plenty of fights throughout history to prove that point. Maidana has room for improvement too and that should scare the shit out of Broner

Agreed! Guys were coming out of the woodwork, saying that they "knew Maidana would win". Bullcrap, dudes were giving AB the win before the first bell sounded. I, for one, had strong feeling that Maidana wasn't gonna be an easy kill, and everybody knew that I was pulling for the underdog for the remainder of last year! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 14 2013, 07:08 PM) *
Broner/Maidana: The easy answer would be Broner as the victor, but for some reason, it's not coming that easy for me. I've seen Maidana in there with more skilled guys, and all I've seen is frustration and confusion on his end. Marcos hasn't been able to take a shot as good as he has in the past...he's been looking more and more vulnerable, maybe his body is asking him, "Man, this shit again? WTF's wrong with you?". Any smart man would question Broner's pop at 147...either it's not what it was at 30 or 35, or he had those first time jitters in his last fight. Who knows? As promised, I'll continue to go for the underdog for the remainder of this year, regardless of how obvious the outcome is. Too many weird shots, pressure, and the will to win, will tell us all we need to know about Marcos tonight...which is style that Adrien hasn't faced yet. I have Maidana by surprise. laugh.gif

Even in my prediction, I wasn't super confident, but I rolled with my gut feeling. As you mentioned though, Broner could either do what 50% of history proves, and prove that just because one guy wins the first fight, it doesn't mean that he'll win the rematch...OR...he could have the "Mosley syndrome" and be brave enough to immediately rematch a style that was ALL wrong for him...and lose again. Who knows...

I'd prefer that he didn't take the rematch so soon, but it's a sticky situation for him. Personally, I'd like to see Mayweather/Maidana, just for entertainment and the mere fact that the Khan fight isn't impressive. NOW, if Floyd has a viable opponent (or anybody not name "Amir Khan"), then I wouldn't mind Broner rematching Maidana.

The sad thing is, we don't just how much the money is talking right now. If it's talking big, then Broner will have to fight Maidana AFTER he's (Maidana) done with Floyd. I'm sure that Adrien wants to get back in there quickly and not risk ANYBODY getting in there with Maidana and pulling off an upset (read: beating Maidana while he's HOT, and making him look "softened up" for Adrien).
Dolimite
Before this fight, half of the boxing world and casual fan had no idea who the fuck Maidana was. Now, I did give Maidana a shot to win and I posted that when this fight was announced. The only reason why I gave Maidana a shot was based on how Broner looked against Paulie. I figured if Paulie could touch Broner so could Maidana.

AB is a in a great position. He lost, so now the pressure is off of him to be the next Floyd. He can focus strictly on boxing. I would not want to get right back in ring with Maidana, he should fight maybe someone else to get his confidence back and then later this year handle his business. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for Broner. The kid showed grit and toughness but he has to put it all together. I think he overlooked Marcos and thought by him showing up would be all he needed to beat Marcos. Hopefully he learned from this and he will never overlook an opponent again. Boxing needs characters like Broner, they make the sport interesting and exciting. He does need to learn to turn it off and on, but that will come with age and lessons.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 10 2014, 10:31 AM) *
Agreed! Guys were coming out of the woodwork, saying that they "knew Maidana would win". Bullcrap, dudes were giving AB the win before the first bell sounded. I, for one, had strong feeling that Maidana wasn't gonna be an easy kill, and everybody knew that I was pulling for the underdog for the remainder of last year! laugh.gif

Even in my prediction, I wasn't super confident, but I rolled with my gut feeling. As you mentioned though, Broner could either do what 50% of history proves, and prove that just because one guy wins the first fight, it doesn't mean that he'll win the rematch...OR...he could have the "Mosley syndrome" and be brave enough to immediately rematch a style that was ALL wrong for him...and lose again. Who knows...

I'd prefer that he didn't take the rematch so soon, but it's a sticky situation for him. Personally, I'd like to see Mayweather/Maidana, just for entertainment and the mere fact that the Khan fight isn't impressive. NOW, if Floyd has a viable opponent (or anybody not name "Amir Khan"), then I wouldn't mind Broner rematching Maidana.

The sad thing is, we don't just how much the money is talking right now. If it's talking big, then Broner will have to fight Maidana AFTER he's (Maidana) done with Floyd. I'm sure that Adrien wants to get back in there quickly and not risk ANYBODY getting in there with Maidana and pulling off an upset (read: beating Maidana while he's HOT, and making him look "softened up" for Adrien).

Shit please not the Mosley curse again lol. I give Broner credit for wanting the rematch so soon but at the the same time I think he's stupid for it. Why not fight a decent level opponent to get back in the win column and get some confidence back? He seems so dead set on righting the ship ASAP but that could back fire

I looked at threads back on here and none of us were confident in our predictions. So many came out and said they knew this would happen and this that and.the this but if you look at their previous posts they were riding with Broner. That's like when Manny Steward would predict a fight then it would go the other way and he'd say. Well it went about the way I thought it would laugh.gif bunch of bull is what it was and there were few.outside.of your prediction that had a valid reason to why he would lose that fight. Some of what I heard was it's time for Broner to lose I pray he gets KTFO, that's not saying you predicted most on here played the lottery and finally won, that's it

Even looking across the net, it was the same thing. Very few had intelligent reasons as to why Broner would lose to Maidana. It was all hate filled stuff that was.nothing more then wishful thinking for the most part. Now that he's lost I see dudes thinking they can guide a fighter to the top of the sport. FOH with this logic. Some of em can't even guide a woman to their bedroom. Dolomite one infected many of these fools on here. Next thing you know the gon be getting trapped and forced into international marriages with crazy chick's like him laugh.gif

I'd also prefer to see Maidana fight Mayweather. Nothing about a potential Khan matchup excites me. They could market that fight just as good as one with Khan. But if Mayweather does go with Khan then I wouldn't mind seeing the rematch between Marcos and Broner. Though I think it's too soon. Marcos has the mental advantage going in and if I were apart of his team I'd make Broner beg for the rematch. Marcos should screw with his psyche
mrchitown
Until we know who Mayweather will be fighting, we probably won't even know the status on this rematch until then. Regardless, Maidana is in a pretty good position
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 10 2014, 02:57 PM) *
You just said that Maidana was in control of the fight in a previous post, no diss but I'm not really listening to you lol

If he wants to compete with top fighters and if he wants to fight fighters in a weight class that's not his natural division then he's going to have to up his punch output. What defensive studs are in welter, there are few that could make him pay. Each of the rounds he got knocked down in the next round he got up and won them. And the rounds he won he won them with activity

so why isnt he active for the 12 rounds, he just seems like he doesnt want to punch, doesnt want to win.
Jovi2016
So we are in agreement that Maidana would be a bad decision for his next fight. I'm sorry it seems like I may be attacking his person, but as a youngn, i try to learn from every situation and that fight taught me alot of things for many different reasons, from an inside and outside the ring standpoint.

I didn't think Maidana would win, I thought Broner was going to win but i knew that Maidana was still no joke of an opponent. I was still on the fact that if Devon Alexander Dominated Maidana then so would Broner. But based off the last fight I knew he could be touched, but its how people react when they get touched that shows their true character. Some people come back, sometimes the pressures crushes people. Broner got KD , was arguing with his corner, kinda forced it with the forearm to the face, and at one point was rolling around on the floor trying to get the fight stopped, Atleast he finished the fight yeah, but his unsportsman like attitude continued. As history shows, thats not how CHAMPIONS should behave when shit gets real.

I love watching Keith Thurman fights as of lately, because dude will get touched with shots and bounce back with the KO win. He doesn't get desperate, he gets focused. That's how champions do it. When Mayweather got touched by Mosely he came back and Dominated. Marquez getting a KO on pacquiao with a Broken face. Tim Bradley fighting through coma and broken ankles. Even How Pacquiao reacts in his defeats.

I understand you have to have Charisma in boxing to make money, there's still a right way of doing things, actually more than one right way and more than one wrong way. Mayweather's antics you know by now are for publicity, but it seems like Broner just acts out like that for no reason, like literally doesn't know how to turn it on or turn it off, its apart of him now...I'm not one to say what he should or shouldn't do but its a definitely a story to learn from.
MAHDI
QUOTE (Jovi2016 @ Jan 10 2014, 03:27 PM) *
So we are in agreement that Maidana would be a bad decision for his next fight. I'm sorry it seems like I may be attacking his person, but as a youngn, i try to learn from every situation and that fight taught me alot of things for many different reasons, from an inside and outside the ring standpoint.

I didn't think Maidana would win, I thought Broner was going to win but i knew that Maidana was still no joke of an opponent. I was still on the fact that if Devon Alexander Dominated Maidana then so would Broner. But based off the last fight I knew he could be touched, but its how people react when they get touched that shows their true character. Some people come back, sometimes the pressures crushes people. Broner got KD , was arguing with his corner, kinda forced it with the forearm to the face, and at one point was rolling around on the floor trying to get the fight stopped, At-least he finished the fight yeah, but his unsportsman like attitude continued. As history shows, thats not how CHAMPIONS should behave when shit gets real.

I love watching Keith Thurman fights as of lately, because dude will get touched with shots and bounce back with the KO win. He doesn't get desperate, he gets focused. That's how champions do it. When Mayweather got touched by Mosely he came back and Dominated. Marquez getting a KO on pacquiao with a Broken face. Tim Bradley fighting through coma and broken ankles. Even How Pacquiao reacts in his defeats.

I understand you have to have Charisma in boxing to make money, there's still a right way of doing things, actually more than one right way and more than one wrong way. Mayweather's antics you know by now are for publicity, but it seems like Broner just acts out like that for no reason, like literally doesn't know how to turn it on or turn it off, its apart of him now...I'm not one to say what he should or shouldn't do but its a definitely a story to learn from.

I am sure Mayweather has managed to read a few more books than Broner... Broner is a boy. When Floyd was his age... a boy, Floyd was a polite, smiling, humble, and relatively unknown fighter outside of the experts and hard core fans... Broner is in a great poosition in the game yet his character, lack of intelligence, and lack of strong male guidance may impede his development of skill and talent- thus he will take more maidana like beatings and be done sooner than later- we will then say he was a waste of talent and skill- I THINK HE SHOULD GET DOWN WITH MAYWEATHER SR... It would improve his game and further ENHANCE HIS NAME --publicity would be crazy for Broner getting down with SR. he may be loyal to his crew, but hey this is a business...
ryustuh
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 10 2014, 04:44 PM) *
I am sure Mayweather has managed to read a few more books than Broner... Broner is a boy. When Floyd was his age... a boy, Floyd was a polite, smiling, humble, and relatively unknown fighter outside of the experts and hard core fans... Broner is in a great poosition in the game yet his character, lack of intelligence, and lack of strong male guidance may impede his development of skill and talent- thus he will take more maidana like beatings and be done sooner than later- we will then say he was a waste of talent and skill

thats a little harsh bro. don't think you can justify delving into AB's personal life and stating he has a "lack of a strong male guidance" when you only see him in front of cameras. truth is he does have ring IQ and intelligence as we've seen in many of his fights - INCLUDING THE ONE AGAINST MAIDANA. again, he seems more poised now and gave chino credit where credit is due. he was laying down some solid counters, and in a rematch, i would see him taking the cake. i wouldn't go so far as to say he's a waste of talent or skill even if he does go downhill from here (which is probably unlikely). he's had some really solid fights in his repertoire thus far...
MAHDI
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 10 2014, 03:55 PM) *
thats a little harsh bro. don't think you can justify delving into AB's personal life and stating he has a "lack of a strong male guidance" when you only see him in front of cameras. truth is he does have ring IQ and intelligence as we've seen in many of his fights - INCLUDING THE ONE AGAINST MAIDANA. again, he seems more poised now and gave chino credit where credit is due. he was laying down some solid counters, and in a rematch, i would see him taking the cake. i wouldn't go so far as to say he's a waste of talent or skill even if he does go downhill from here (which is probably unlikely). he's had some really solid fights in his repertoire thus far...

His father brushes his hair like a BITCH... I don't even have to delve into my 20 year history of social work experience to see he lacks strong male influences. I could go on... but I agree he has some things to build on but he does not have the right people around him in my view. His corner seemed weak - he has yes men all around him it seems. I could be wrong
ryustuh
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 10 2014, 04:02 PM) *
His father brushes his hair like a BITCH... I don't even have to delve into my 20 year history of social work experience to see he lacks strong male influences. I could go on... but I agree he has some things to build on but he does not have the right people around him in my view. His corner seemed weak - he has yes men all around him it seems. I could be wrong

i'm really trying to say that you're stretching for reasons to bash AB for ONE loss against a heavy hitter who he has a good chance of beating in a rematch. Sure, AB needs to work on the clowning and the flaunting. He does need to be more focused. But don't reach for excuses and tell us it's due to a lack of strong male influences...hell 90% of the most famous boxers out there come from broken families. Again, people are targeting Broner for the wrong reasons, and I think when he does prove himself again, there are gonna be a lot of boxing fans out there who will be grasping at straws to find something negative to say about AB.
MAHDI
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 10 2014, 03:44 PM) *
I am sure Mayweather has managed to read a few more books than Broner... Broner is a boy. When Floyd was his age... a boy, Floyd was a polite, smiling, humble, and relatively unknown fighter outside of the experts and hard core fans... Broner is in a great poosition in the game yet his character, lack of intelligence, and lack of strong male guidance may impede his development of skill and talent- thus he will take more maidana like beatings and be done sooner than later- we will then say he was a waste of talent and skill- I THINK HE SHOULD GET DOWN WITH MAYWEATHER SR... It would improve his game and further ENHANCE HIS NAME --publicity would be crazy for Broner getting down with SR. he may be loyal to his crew, but hey this is a business...

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 10 2014, 04:14 PM) *
i'm really trying to say that you're stretching for reasons to bash AB for ONE loss against a heavy hitter who he has a good chance of beating in a rematch. Sure, AB needs to work on the clowning and the flaunting. He does need to be more focused. But don't reach for excuses and tell us it's due to a lack of strong male influences...hell 90% of the most famous boxers out there come from broken families. Again, people are targeting Broner for the wrong reasons, and I think when he does prove himself again, there are gonna be a lot of boxing fans out there who will be grasping at straws to find something negative to say about AB.

True.. and broken dysfunctional families produce Broner types quite often... there are EXCEPTIONS---I am not bashing.. In my above quote I said AB is in a great position... at his age he is more known than Mayweather was and is in a great position, but if he takes a few more beatings like he did he will be done sooner than later. Chances are at 147 against hard punchers he will get beaten down again unless as people have stated, HE works harder in training and becomes more active in the fight relative to letting his hands go. I feel Mayweather SR should be called in to tighten that Defense, but hey his camp is said to be respectable.. we will see what happens in his next bout. If it is Maidana he sure as hell BETTER make drastic improvements in activity and defense. he made Maidana look like the most accurate thrower of power shots in the sport
Franchize
Him being focused, the weight, how soon the rematch is etc. Don't concern me when it comes to Broner. The sole thing I wanna see to give me confidence in siding with him in a rematch is an admission that he came into the fight with the wrong game plan.
Jovi2016
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 10 2014, 03:44 PM) *

Exactly. Yes he has the talent, but his psychology has always been his downfall.

and Ryustuh... Yes Broner has ring IQ yes but lets not act like he's a genius. When he was getting hit by Maidana he didn't know where he was in the ring, he was just tryna run away, he landed on the ropes many times to save himself from more knockdowns. He didn't circle around the ring or Maidana, he was just backing up trying to counter him but kept getting popped after a feint.
Dolimite
on boxingscene Schaefer is saying Maidana and Broner will fight in April. Interesting. I guess Khan will be the guy, shit.
Jovi2016
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 10 2014, 07:16 PM) *
on boxingscene Schaefer is saying Maidana and Broner will fight in April. Interesting. I guess Khan will be the guy, shit.

No dolomite, lets not start assuming yet, we can't lose hope!

If they do the immediate rematch it should be on the Mayweather's undercard regardless? why have it on separate dates. This way whoever wins really gets the credit they deserve. I think that the outcome will be the same, Maidana already knows how to beat him, and Broner's jaw wont heal in time, if Maidana could work on his stamina and just keep the assault consistent all 12 rounds and not give Broner a chance to breathe, he can get the stoppage. He's gonna try to use his feet this time and will still get countered with an over hand and not be able to take it if its in the middle of ring, he will need the ropes to save him.

Maidana will get even more respect for shutting him down again, which at this time is for the best because then Broner will be vsing everyone after to try to prove something and Maidana will get Mayweather fight in september or the Khan rematch that he's been asking for then the Mayweather fight or even a Danny garcia fight. Mayweather . Broner messed up by staying at 147 and vsing a puncher like Maidana, the scary thing is there are MORE DANGEROUS punchers in 147 (and 140) than Maidana.I dont want him to retire before i get to him... 2014 will be interesting...Whose Danny garcia vsing in March?! Its January why hasnt this been announced yet?

All I can do is enjoy and watch how it plays out.
klonopinz
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 10 2014, 02:48 AM) *
The only time I really saw a shift in the fight was when Broner hit Maidana after the bell in the 11th(i think it was). Broner really appeared to hurt Maidana with that illegal shot. other then that I thought Maidana was in control of the fight. i see the same thing going down a second time if it happens.

agree. maidana wins again. broner can know what to do to beat chino the entire fight, but he still wont be able to execute.
klonopinz
once broner gets punched in the face again, he will abandon his gameplan and fall right back into his same old shit, its all he knows. its a shame because he could school maidana. i hope he uses a high guard in this fight, it will do him better than a half assed shoulder roll. head movement and upper body/hip movement will be key here. if he can turn maidana and/or circle away from the left hook he could maybe outbox him. i just see maidana swarming him, and that pressure making him shut don his output. seems like he cant start puting out punches until he gets control of the situation and his opponent. then he can start to work, but he cant do it ith constant pressure. his only ace in that fight was his conditioning, when marcos gassed he had a small few opportunities to start to work him, but then he ould get rocked and shut don again. if broner loses this fight again, its whatever, elter aint his division, but if he loses the same fucking way, then he jsut sucks.

i really want dude to win though
Hotsauce
Broner can win if he boxes him
DigitalBoom
Broner has been the ultimate hype job, has yet to actually beat an A or even B+ level fighter. He could train his @ss off and it won't matter. If you can't take a punch at a certain weight all the training in the world will not change that. Oh and to the cat saying Broner won five rounds i'd love to know which..he got beaten pillar to post for 10 rounds and has people hanging on to them three after the bell punches he landed at the end of the 11th against a fighter looking away with his hands down turning to his corner with ref blocking his way..and still couldn't drop him. Broner loses again and it will not go the distance.
E.C.LEGEND
If he can get rid of his "you ain't got shit" attitude in the ring and box, it's his fight. Just stay on the outside and box Maidana and it should be easy work. We know you are not beating Maidana on the inside trading with him.
checkleft
Lmao at a lot of these posts. Broner can win this fight, he doesn't have a glass jaw, and he's not a hype job (well at least not to knowledgeable boxing fans). He has a lot of upside and lost to a very good hard puncher. People get so enamored with the shitstorm of hate and follow along its embarrassing, to ignore that this kid has skills is ignorant. Whoever fell for the "he's the next Floyd" shit needs to question their own boxing iq.

Maidana broner 2 will either be one of two things, a Hell of a fight with two really determined fighters just like the first one in which both guys were hurt and kept gutting it out, or broner will use his skills, move and fight smart.
HyyerBlaze
Broner gonna get knocked completely of the ring this time lol.

Seriously don't give him a chance.Guy hasnt looked that great now in the last 3 fight? Needs to go back down and hide in the 135 class.
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 10 2014, 10:01 PM) *
Lmao at a lot of these posts. Broner can win this fight, he doesn't have a glass jaw, and he's not a hype job (well at least not to knowledgeable boxing fans). He has a lot of upside and lost to a very good hard puncher. People get so enamored with the shitstorm of hate and follow along its embarrassing, to ignore that this kid has skills is ignorant. Whoever fell for the "he's the next Floyd" shit needs to question their own boxing iq.

Maidana broner 2 will either be one of two things, a Hell of a fight with two really determined fighters just like the first one in which both guys were hurt and kept gutting it out, or broner will use his skills, move and fight smart.

Why are these cats saying he has a glass jaw? Maidana is a puncher, come on now. Broner took the fight lightly and got his ass kicked as a result. he hung in there for 12 rounds, he hurt Marcos. It was a good fight. If AB wins, we have a trilogy.
ryustuh
also...is everyone just completely forgetting about AB's fight against paulie? i'm hearing broner's never faced a B+ fighter and that he hasn't looked good recently. if paulie isn't a b+ fighter in the division then i dont know who is. just because he has pillows for fists doesn't mean he's not a good solid boxer with a great jab. ab got touched up in this fight, but i still think he dominated it with stronger counter punches that had paulie's head snapping all the way back. just look at paulie's face after the fight and AB's. AB landed a higher percentage of his power punches and did some significant damage. what about ponce de leon - he's not a B+ fighter in his division? granted this fight was closer, but i still had AB winning it.

again, i think a lot of people are letting their personal distaste for this guy get in the way of what he can do as a boxer. the shit talking has increased ten fold since his loss against a really strong fighter in chino, and props to chino for being the better man the first time around. but, not half the stuff being said about AB was even HINTED beforehand, and now that he's taken an L, a lot of fans are jumping on the wagon and implying he's finished.

AB was caught off guard and was surprised - that was his fault and his fault alone for not coming in prepared; however, he was able to recover from the KD's, stay in the game, and land some pretty stiff counters despite being fazed. let's give him some credit for what he did right, and not completely count him out in the rematch. if he's able to stay fresh the first few rounds, then there's no telling where the fight could go. the first KD set the tone and the pace for maidana, and if this were absent, i think the nature of the first fight may have been completely different.
klonopinz
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 11 2014, 10:13 AM) *
also...is everyone just completely forgetting about AB's fight against paulie? i'm hearing broner's never faced a B+ fighter and that he hasn't looked good recently. if paulie isn't a b+ fighter in the division then i dont know who is. just because he has pillows for fists doesn't mean he's not a good solid boxer with a great jab. ab got touched up in this fight, but i still think he dominated it with stronger counter punches that had paulie's head snapping all the way back. just look at paulie's face after the fight and AB's. AB landed a higher percentage of his power punches and did some significant damage. what about ponce de leon - he's not a B+ fighter in his division? granted this fight was closer, but i still had AB winning it.

again, i think a lot of people are letting their personal distaste for this guy get in the way of what he can do as a boxer. the shit talking has increased ten fold since his loss against a really strong fighter in chino, and props to chino for being the better man the first time around. but, not half the stuff being said about AB was even HINTED beforehand, and now that he's taken an L, a lot of fans are jumping on the wagon and implying he's finished.

AB was caught off guard and was surprised - that was his fault and his fault alone for not coming in prepared; however, he was able to recover from the KD's, stay in the game, and land some pretty stiff counters despite being fazed. let's give him some credit for what he did right, and not completely count him out in the rematch. if he's able to stay fresh the first few rounds, then there's no telling where the fight could go. the first KD set the tone and the pace for maidana, and if this were absent, i think the nature of the first fight may have been completely different.

first of all, broner is far from finished. that is just ridiculous to even imply. hes like 24 years old? kid is not done not even close. however, he has some big issues in the ring that the fight showed.

for me it is in the department of skills. he didnt fully adapt when he could have, and he failed to see where he was at in the fight, especially at the important times. he should have known he was behind right from the beginning, yet he continued to get outworked. he got dropped 2 times and almost koed in round 2, but he failed to change up his method. he knew maidana was gassing out at times, yet he still did not work the body enough and take advantage of that. he knew that he couldnt keep maidana off of him, but he didnt even try to use some stiff jabs or turn the dude. these are all things whch would have and will win him the fight. the fact that he couldnt do them in the middle of the fight is a big problem. maybe thats why he is the problem. his nickname is really starting to fit him now.

he still would have lost even without the knockdowns. maidana outworked broner and outlanded him in almost every round except the 12th and 3rd. and with the paulie fight, he should have stopped paulie or won a unanimous decision. the problem there was the same here, he let paulie outwork him at times, the only difference was that paulie wasnt hurting him. hes letting these veterans school him a little bit, hich is part of the game, but there are things which he can do to veterans which is out condition them and use physical tools to hsi advantage.

hes a super athlete, so he should start fighting like a boxer, not a puncher. he needs to mix in more boxing now that hes at 147 and his power wont win him fights alone. hes gotta use his brains more. seems like hes not the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to fighting smart and adapting. so far ive seen him do small adaptations, but not major ones. and i still havent seen him box using his legs, and moving his body and head. he stood right in front of marcos like a statue, standing straight up, with his chin out. all he has to do to start whooping these guys easy, is get back to basic boxing 101. jab, footwork, head movement, counter right hand, pivoting, turning them/circling them, fighting in the center and away from the ropes, etc etc

hes got serious upside as a young fighter, and i think his talent will allow him to take on all these changes in a hurry if he wants, the rest is up to him. there is just part of me that sees him falling victim to fame and letting his ego fuck up his game. i hope he ill just train 24/7, but supposedly thats what he did for this fight. idk whats gonna go down in the rematch, only time will tell. but you can bet the exact same marcos maidana ill sho up and execute, so its all on broner
MAHDI
Broner is young but he cannot afford to take the punches he took from Maidana in fights coming up or he will have a short career- he needs to train harder to improve his stamina to let more punches go and tighten his defense... he better perfect his shoulder roll or abandon it. he has major defensive flaws
DigitalBoom
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 11 2014, 01:01 AM) *

"Knowledgeable boxing fans" lmaooooo I imagine you envision yourself as one of those right..because that's the go to win every argument line folks pull. I'll just leave it a LMFAOOOOOOO. The kid has skills? Based on what? Malignaggi? DeMarco? Didn't he get gifted two wins against mediocre opposition...but yeah he's got skills based absolutely nothing. People will honestly troll the facts and ignore them just to justify their argument. You've not presented one single IOTA to indicate where you get this "Broner has skills" talk. This is one of the cardinal reasons i've stopped discussing boxing publicly in forums. People let their fandom get in the way of reality. The boy is ok, he's average at best and nothing more. Sorry to break it to you...he got whopped in an epsn fight and got gifted a win.His record should've been having that 0 gone long before Maidana got to him. Ironically his first actual step up fight he loses. If he's so good why out of all the 140/147 he jumped up to face Malignaggi..the easiest champion to beat at the time in both divisions. Same Malignnagi that had his previous opponent a C level fighter nearly take his belt from him but yeah..Go ahead and put your money on that rematch outside of jerking Maidana on the cards he ain't losing because he knows Broner has zero to hold him off with..

"We are all students of the sport til we die" -E.Steward
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 10 2014, 02:27 PM) *
so why isnt he active for the 12 rounds, he just seems like he doesnt want to punch, doesnt want to win.

How am I supposed to know, I'm not in his camp. He's been getting by on not being active and he still made that fight a close fight even with the knockdowns. Where are you getting this he doesn't want to win stuff? Who signs up to take punches and don't want to win? 28 fights and he lost 1, it's not that big of a deal
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jan 11 2014, 11:11 AM) *
first of all, broner is far from finished. that is just ridiculous to even imply. hes like 24 years old? kid is not done not even close. however, he has some big issues in the ring that the fight showed.

for me it is in the department of skills. he didnt fully adapt when he could have, and he failed to see where he was at in the fight, especially at the important times. he should have known he was behind right from the beginning, yet he continued to get outworked. he got dropped 2 times and almost koed in round 2, but he failed to change up his method. he knew maidana was gassing out at times, yet he still did not work the body enough and take advantage of that. he knew that he couldnt keep maidana off of him, but he didnt even try to use some stiff jabs or turn the dude. these are all things whch would have and will win him the fight. the fact that he couldnt do them in the middle of the fight is a big problem. maybe thats why he is the problem. his nickname is really starting to fit him now.

he still would have lost even without the knockdowns. maidana outworked broner and outlanded him in almost every round except the 12th and 3rd. and with the paulie fight, he should have stopped paulie or won a unanimous decision. the problem there was the same here, he let paulie outwork him at times, the only difference was that paulie wasnt hurting him. hes letting these veterans school him a little bit, hich is part of the game, but there are things which he can do to veterans which is out condition them and use physical tools to hsi advantage.

hes a super athlete, so he should start fighting like a boxer, not a puncher. he needs to mix in more boxing now that hes at 147 and his power wont win him fights alone. hes gotta use his brains more. seems like hes not the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to fighting smart and adapting. so far ive seen him do small adaptations, but not major ones. and i still havent seen him box using his legs, and moving his body and head. he stood right in front of marcos like a statue, standing straight up, with his chin out. all he has to do to start whooping these guys easy, is get back to basic boxing 101. jab, footwork, head movement, counter right hand, pivoting, turning them/circling them, fighting in the center and away from the ropes, etc etc

hes got serious upside as a young fighter, and i think his talent will allow him to take on all these changes in a hurry if he wants, the rest is up to him. there is just part of me that sees him falling victim to fame and letting his ego fuck up his game. i hope he ill just train 24/7, but supposedly thats what he did for this fight. idk whats gonna go down in the rematch, only time will tell. but you can bet the exact same marcos maidana ill sho up and execute, so its all on broner

I agree with everything you said except this, I had Broner winning 5 rounds in this fight, even without the knockdowns he would've lost. His activity levell is for shit but the rounds he did win he let his hands go, look at the middle rounds, he was working more then Marcos, and the momentum was in his favor again up until the 2nd knockdown
mrchitown
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 11 2014, 02:29 PM) *
Broner is young but he cannot afford to take the punches he took from Maidana in fights coming up or he will have a short career- he needs to train harder to improve his stamina to let more punches go and tighten his defense... he better perfect his shoulder roll or abandon it. he has major defensive flaws

That'a bit of a stretch, he's not a great defender, he's solid on the defense. His defensive problems are he doesn't know exactly how to make that style of defense work out for him. And even bigger then that, he thinks he can walk everyone down so he takes more chances on defense. He's always been a more offensive fighter but his mentality is holding his defense back
checkleft
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 11 2014, 06:15 PM) *
"Knowledgeable boxing fans" lmaooooo I imagine you envision yourself as one of those right..because that's the go to win every argument line folks pull. I'll just leave it a LMFAOOOOOOO. The kid has skills? Based on what? Malignaggi? DeMarco? Didn't he get gifted two wins against mediocre opposition...but yeah he's got skills based absolutely nothing. People will honestly troll the facts and ignore them just to justify their argument. You've not presented one single IOTA to indicate where you get this "Broner has skills" talk. This is one of the cardinal reasons i've stopped discussing boxing publicly in forums. People let their fandom get in the way of reality. The boy is ok, he's average at best and nothing more. Sorry to break it to you...he got whopped in an epsn fight and got gifted a win.His record should've been having that 0 gone long before Maidana got to him. Ironically his first actual step up fight he loses. If he's so good why out of all the 140/147 he jumped up to face Malignaggi..the easiest champion to beat at the time in both divisions. Same Malignnagi that had his previous opponent a C level fighter nearly take his belt from him but yeah..Go ahead and put your money on that rematch outside of jerking Maidana on the cards he ain't losing because he knows Broner has zero to hold him off with..

"We are all students of the sport til we die" -E.Steward

What have I trolled? Demarco was THE champ at lightweight. Go back and watch, and by watch I mean pay attention to those "controversial wins". Yea they were close but there was no controversy, these fly by night fans fall in love with the media and popular opinion and start acting stupid. I get he isn't like-able but people get carried away.

If you really think demarco, Ponce, and paulie are not step up fights then you really have to check yourself before questioning me. Seriously people get so wet trying to label people hype jobs its ridiculous.

And I still have no idea why people continue to disrespect paulie as a champ Wtf
mrchitown
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 10 2014, 10:20 PM) *
Broner has been the ultimate hype job, has yet to actually beat an A or even B+ level fighter. He could train his @ss off and it won't matter. If you can't take a punch at a certain weight all the training in the world will not change that. Oh and to the cat saying Broner won five rounds i'd love to know which..he got beaten pillar to post for 10 rounds and has people hanging on to them three after the bell punches he landed at the end of the 11th against a fighter looking away with his hands down turning to his corner with ref blocking his way..and still couldn't drop him. Broner loses again and it will not go the distance.

That cat was me, quote me next time fool!...look at the rounds after the knockdown, if you wasn't so busy trying to be Lance Armstrong you'd know some shit.

If you really wanna get into it I just beat some ass at the gym today I got time for a verbal ass whooping...How dare you sit here and say Malinaggi isn't even a B+ fighter, you keep posting and playing yourself..He won the round after he got knocked down, look at the middle rounds for the fight. Your opinion is the least respected by me on here. You a clown who tries to talk shit about people who don't agree with you, you ride fucking bikes bruh, you don't know shit about boxing.

Take the L bruh, you letting your personal hatred and bitchassness get the better of you, and you said you had a wife, I feel for he having to lay in bed with you everynight. You say things and then have a half ass valid point and then kill it with bullshit, keep riding bikes fam this ain't for you
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 11 2014, 07:46 PM) *
How am I supposed to know, I'm not in his camp. He's been getting by on not being active and he still made that fight a close fight even with the knockdowns. Where are you getting this he doesn't want to win stuff? Who signs up to take punches and don't want to win? 28 fights and he lost 1, it's not that big of a deal

Don't start making sense now chi, people don't like that stuff around here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.