Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canelo Alvarez to fight Alfredo Angulo
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KOpower
Should be an exciting fight, but certainly not worth the $50 they will charge for PPV. I see Canelo winning a fight that has some scary moments for Big Red.
ryustuh
i think it'll be a good fight, but have canelo taking it within 8-9 rds. angulo has that straight forward style with little to no head movement, so i see alvarez reeling off those 5-6 punch combos pretty easily. red's gotta watch that left hook on the inside, but he boxes pretty well so as long as establishes the jab and moves on the outside should be ok. el perro also had that wicked injury to his orbital bone against lara, and from what i understand, those aren't easy to heal and can be re-aggravated. shame because i'd like to see perro's career go a long ways, but with possible back to back losses as well as some brutal punishment from kirkland, lara, and now maybe alvarez...his career might be cut short.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 11 2014, 12:59 PM) *
Should be an exciting fight, but certainly not worth the $50 they will charge for PPV. I see Canelo winning a fight that has some scary moments for Big Red.

Why is this a PPV? It destroys much of the good, if not great action this fight will provide. More money would actually be generated if this was a non-PPV. I'll bet it may even be $60 SD and $70 HD. As action intense as this match could be, it's not worth that kind of money.

This would be the kind of fight that would be a gem under the ORIGINAL HBO Lou Dibella leadership of Boxing After Dark back in the mid 90's-2000's.

Jack
KOpower
Canelo is way too big to fight in a BAD type of card. I agree that this would be a GREAT fight for regular Showtime, but it sounds like Canelo's non-PPV days are over unless he starts losing. Showtime and GBP need a 2nd PPV fighter next to Floyd and they are hoping that Canelo turns into that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 11 2014, 01:59 PM) *

Why are you always making a fuss about what's PPV worthy or not?
BoxingStill#1
Canelo still has star power so gb is gonna capitalize on that....

Canelo should, on paper, win this fight.

But going from the best boxer in the world to an all out assault fighter could be a bit of adjustment.. but easy work never the less..

Keep a weather eye out for an upset tho
KOpower
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 11 2014, 04:00 PM) *
Canelo still has star power so gb is gonna capitalize on that....

Canelo should, on paper, win this fight.

But going from the best boxer in the world to an all out assault fighter could be a bit of adjustment.. but easy work never the less..

Keep a weather eye out for an upset tho

I would like to see an upset. That would really make things interesting. I think Angulo will be competitive, but Canelo ends up stopping him late in the fight.
mrchitown
Good fight Angulo is going to give a good account of himself but I still see him losing
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 11 2014, 01:35 PM) *
Why are you always making a fuss about what's PPV worthy or not?

I think assessment of PPV worthiness is important for economic reasons, the fight, the fighters themselves are they worthy of a PPV card? If these matches were sill $40 and under, I could see less of a need for a PPV or not evaluation, but at $60-$70 a shot, just about every fight that isn't the automatic closed-circuit TV relm deserves the question of is it PPV caliber?

The point being that if you look at how awesome that whole regular four-hour non-PPV Maidana-Broner card was, you can see why just about every big fight should be regular Showtime or HBO. PPV encompasses economic and promoter greed, and I don't think ANY fight should be PPV, unless it is the kind of closed-circuit match from the 60's-80's were a PPV was automatically expected. I want to thank Showtime again for the excellent and non-PPV Maidana card!!!! That's what boxing and it's cards should represent!

Jack
checkleft

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 11 2014, 08:03 PM) *
Good fight Angulo is going to give a good account of himself but I still see him losing

This
mgrover
I think there giving it to Canelo unless Angulo KOs him
Thickback
I do like this fight. I do't like that it's PPV, but I won't mind if it has a great undercard. Not penny more than $50 though. Preferably $40 as mentioned above.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 11 2014, 07:17 PM) *
I think assessment of PPV worthiness is important for economic reasons, the fight, the fighters themselves are they worthy of a PPV card? If these matches were sill $40 and under, I could see less of a need for a PPV or not evaluation, but at $60-$70 a shot, just about every fight that isn't the automatic closed-circuit TV relm deserves the question of is it PPV caliber?

The point being that if you look at how awesome that whole regular four-hour non-PPV Maidana-Broner card was, you can see why just about every big fight should be regular Showtime or HBO. PPV encompasses economic and promoter greed, and I don't think ANY fight should be PPV, unless it is the kind of closed-circuit match from the 60's-80's were a PPV was automatically expected. I want to thank Showtime again for the excellent and non-PPV Maidana card!!!! That's what boxing and it's cards should represent!

Jack

I see your point Jack, and I'll also add just why economic reasons AREN'T important, regardless of the whether or not it's $60-$70. Years ago, people were making a HUGE fuss about gas prices...roughly around '08 when the reason was no secret.

Around that time, especially in my area, people were fussing about it, BUT, Red Lobster's line was always wrapped around the building (not that I typically eat there, but I could see it from the hwy, lol), movie theaters were still packed, lines at nightclubs were still wrapped around the building, etc.

I remember those days...club entree fees were a standard of 15-20 dollars, beers were at least $5 a pop, cocktails were between 8-10 dollars, people would hit up IHOP or Waffle House afterwards...this was ALL in one night, which could easily reach the 80 to 100 dollar mark...but people were still complaining about how much gas cost. Lol

Not only that, but I remember going to Hooter's to see Jones/Hopkins II (don't judge me), but I think I remember that fight being about $55. I bought wings ($10), several beers (about $30 worth at the price of about $4 each because I was in there for hours), and I bought chips & dip ($4...because I was in there so long). Not only that, but I tipped about $15, (because my waitress was hot and she took care of me)...so that's about $60...same price as the actual PPV itself.

I said that to say, some of these same scums that get on the net and whine about how much a PPV costs, are the same ones who buy them. The whole, "this fight isn't worth $60" argument is translation for, "Man, why does this fight cost so much. I'm still gonna buy it, but damn, why are they charging so much?"

I said all that to say, people are never satisfied, period. When PPVs were $25, I remember hearing my dad tripping about the cost (back in the HW era of boxing), lol. Fact is, even if a decent card was $40 (SD) and $50 (HD), guys will still complain. Not only that, but guys are complaining about PPV costs, but these fighters are still cracking over 1M buys. Funny, right? laugh.gif

I agree with you all though...not all pf these guys are PPV worthy, but we all must agree that they need to start somewhere. Oscar didn't always fight top comp on PPV (not that I can remember), but you where he ended up after a few of those "not-so-great" PPV opponents.

Showtime HAS spoiled us with these PPV-length cards, but again, I know it takes money to make money...so I'd rather see boxing cracking over 1M buys, JUST to throw it in the face of these MMA reverends who swear the sport is dead. laugh.gif
truth
This will be a challange canelo will get that chin checked by a real middle weight that said canelo wins unless he gets knocked out which i doubt happens...
Gambit808
A good comeback fight for Canelo. If there's anyone who can test how much of a man-child Canelo is made out to be, it's "el perro" Angulo with a good trainer in Virgil Hunter. My wonder though, is how much the Lara fight took out of him. Witnessing Perro having to quit is a first, even when guys like James Kirkland couldn't even make that happen with the beating he unleashed on him. Canelo has the advantage in speed, but he's finally up against a solid junior middleweight who can dish out as much as he can take and we'll be able to see where his chin is at if he's to get tagged by a heavy handed Angulo.

PPV don't bother me none, so long as the undercard is good will determine for me if I'm at the sports bar with it, or on the couch with the honey. cool.gif
AZWildCat
Who wants to sig bet that it looks and ends like Alvarez cotto all over again ...if he looks bad at the wrong time they'll hand it to red. The dog has to come in and take this fight to him from bell to bell. . Honestly they wanted this fight before the Kirkland loss. Hopefully hunter has the right gameplan and Pedro sees it as a do or die fight. .....oh and can someone toss that collar in the trash!
Gambit808
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 12 2014, 01:03 PM) *
Who wants to sig bet that it looks and ends like Alvarez cotto all over again ...if he looks bad at the wrong time they'll hand it to red. The dog has to come in and take this fight to him from bell to bell. . Honestly they wanted this fight before the Kirkland loss. Hopefully hunter has the right gameplan and Pedro sees it as a do or die fight. .....oh and can someone toss that collar in the trash!

Ehhhh, I consider the Broner-Maidana II more of a sig bet esc. type of fight. Seems more 50/50 to me, but no doubt about it this is a interesting scrap as well... I'm might take u up on one, but not at the moment. I'm looking to see the Panthers knock off San Fran right now.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 01:12 PM) *
Ehhhh, I consider the Broner-Maidana II more of a sig bet esc. type of fight. Seems more 50/50 to me, but no doubt about it this is a interesting scrap as well... I'm might take u up on one, but not at the moment. I'm looking to see the Panthers knock off San Fran right now.

Wont argue they both are

Camtron is not going to look good. San Fran bout to go to work. Cam don't look to sure about himself right now Smith and ginn will be the gae changers if any
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 12:12 PM) *

Niners on the move at the moment lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 01:12 PM) *

AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 12 2014, 05:34 PM) *

Character chozen made this even funnier
Gambit808
@AZ @Chitown @Cshel...lol I guess now ain't the time for me to bring up the fact that I'm a die hard Tennessee Titan fan since the Warren Moon Oiler days to now and forever, if I haven't already, huh?

Panthers have young talent on there side which should translate in to this not being the last we see them in the playoffs. Personally though, I just wanted to see San Fran get knocked off so these bandwagon ass people I know can go kick rocks for another year, even if it was almost a long shot the Panthers might be able to do it this year. See when you ride for a squad in support like me and they haven't really had a buzz going in years and you see these "Johnny come lately" muhfuckaz come out the wood work with that "I always been a Ravens fan, but this year I'm a 49er's fan" bullshit, you'll probably catch yourself hoping for that teams downfall lol.
AZWildCat
What you think about locker & Johnson not being brought back. The draft and free agency are looking good for us.....yes my season sucked to ...I'm also a titans fan....but being loyal to a garbage team builds character & trust lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 12 2014, 11:59 PM) *
@AZ @Chitown @Cshel...lol I guess now ain't the time for me to bring up the fact that I'm a die hard Tennessee Titan fan since the Warren Moon Oiler days to now and forever, if I haven't already, huh?

Panthers have young talent on there side which should translate in to this not being the last we see them in the playoffs. Personally though, I just wanted to see San Fran get knocked off so these bandwagon ass people I know can go kick rocks for another year, even if it was almost a long shot the Panthers might be able to do it this year. See when you ride for a squad in support like me and they haven't really had a buzz going in years and you see these "Johnny come lately" muhfuckaz come out the wood work with that "I always been a Ravens fan, but this year I'm a 49er's fan" bullshit, you'll probably catch yourself hoping for that teams downfall lol.

I love Warren Moon, one of the GOAT's. He doesn't get the credit he deserves imo.

I feel you, I'm a Bears fan for life, but I enjoy watching other teams play. I hate that Colin and Cam had to square off but it had to be someone. Now I can't front I don't want Seattle to win next week. I like them but I'd rather see a Niners-Broncos superbowl. My team ain't make it so I'm just going to enjoy the games
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 13 2014, 08:34 AM) *
What you think about locker & Johnson not being brought back. The draft and free agency are looking good for us.....yes my season sucked to ...I'm also a titans fan....but being loyal to a garbage team builds character & trust lol

I'm a Bears fan so I know the feeling lol
Franchize
They'd better stack the undercard or else I'm waiting till the week after or streaming the hell outta this one. Seeing how Canelo is coming off of a lopsided loss and Angulo is coming off a loss of his own, I have a feeling I'm not the only one who will do so. That being said, this should be a good scrap. A nice bounce back opponent who isn't overly difficult to figure out but isn't come tomato can either.
Gambit808
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 13 2014, 09:34 AM) *

Locker hasen't shown he can be the "it" guy IMO and the injury didn't help his claim for improvement this season either. What's really to miss if he wasn't to come back? dntknw.gif As much of a disappointment Vince Young was, he atlease he showed a spark in his first couple years. Locker's been mediocre at best. Chris Johnson even while his numbers have gone down, I feel he can still be one of the best RB's in the league under the right offense of tutelage. They just don't have much of the right pieces in the offensive side for him to be as effective as he use to be. This team would go along way having a legitimate passing game to mix things up or even a mobile QB ala Kapernick, Newton or Wilson caliber. If you look at Moon, McNair, or even a prime Vince Young you see some simularities in there game that made them such an effective threat on the offense of side being mobile as well as good passers. All in All though, if CJ is asking for another big contract, then they might as well let him go and start yet another rebuilding process with the new coach.
Gambit808
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 13 2014, 09:53 AM) *
I love Warren Moon, one of the GOAT's. He doesn't get the credit he deserves imo.

I feel you, I'm a Bears fan for life, but I enjoy watching other teams play. I hate that Colin and Cam had to square off but it had to be someone. Now I can't front I don't want Seattle to win next week. I like them but I'd rather see a Niners-Broncos superbowl. My team ain't make it so I'm just going to enjoy the games

Moon was the man. Got me thinking of the days when throwbacks and authentic jersey's was in lol. I still have my Warren Moon throwback cool.gif

At this point any match up is a good Super Bowl. We can pretty much chalk it up between QB's as Old School (AFC) vs. New School (NFC) style QB's in the Super Bowl. Real good championship matchups as well.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 13 2014, 12:59 AM) *

I'm sorry...
klonopinz
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 13 2014, 09:34 AM) *

im from philly. i cant even talk about football at this point. im just so ..... i dont even know anymore i swear to god
klonopinz
can we not turn this into a football thread. its making me sick. i got canelo winning this fight. ima watch it for free on internet stream. fuck ppv. i think handspeed will be key for canelo. and a good chin
beenKOed
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 11 2014, 10:59 AM) *

I disagree, sir, I'd be watching whether it's PPV or not. Canelo is a big draw, very popular with the Mexican fans plus I like them both. This will be an enjoyable fight without a doubt.
Cshel86
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jan 13 2014, 09:31 PM) *
im from philly. i cant even talk about football at this point. im just so ..... i dont even know anymore i swear to god

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Blame Riley Cooper bro!

I agree, let's not turn this into a football fan...but I'm sure those words come easy from a Philly fan at this point. Lol
ryustuh
this undercard is STACKED and makes the PPV well worth it.

linares arakawa
r. alvarez figueroa
molina charlo
mijares santa cruz

can't ask for a more exciting line-up
AZWildCat
Ppv worthy to those in the know. Danger zone was ppv. Worthy also but got scrapped due to casual bitching.

But this card does scream action.
Cshel86
Canelo/Angulo
Molina/Charlo
Figueroa/Alvarez
*One more fight, can't remember who though*

Sounds like this card is shaping up. 5 fights, rather than 4, would be a nice gesture.
ryustuh
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 7 2014, 07:48 PM) *
Canelo/Angulo
Molina/Charlo
Figueroa/Alvarez
*One more fight, can't remember who though*

Sounds like this card is shaping up. 5 fights, rather than 4, would be a nice gesture.

Wasn't arakawa (or whoever fought Figueroa last don't know how to spell his name) supposed to be on there? What happened to Santa Cruz? A great ppv card worth the money to me
Cshel86
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Feb 7 2014, 07:53 PM) *
Wasn't arakawa (or whoever fought Figueroa last don't know how to spell his name) supposed to be on there? What happened to Santa Cruz? A great ppv card worth the money to me

Yeah Arakawa is supposed to fight Jorge Linares...but it' gonna be on the ShoExtreme card...from my understanding. Santa Cruz may be on the card...totally forgot about him though.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 11 2014, 10:41 PM) *
I see your point Jack, and I'll also add just why economic reasons AREN'T important, regardless of the whether or not it's $60-$70. Years ago, people were making a HUGE fuss about gas prices...roughly around '08 when the reason was no secret.

Around that time, especially in my area, people were fussing about it, BUT, Red Lobster's line was always wrapped around the building (not that I typically eat there, but I could see it from the hwy, lol), movie theaters were still packed, lines at nightclubs were still wrapped around the building, etc.

I remember those days...club entree fees were a standard of 15-20 dollars, beers were at least $5 a pop, cocktails were between 8-10 dollars, people would hit up IHOP or Waffle House afterwards...this was ALL in one night, which could easily reach the 80 to 100 dollar mark...but people were still complaining about how much gas cost. Lol

Not only that, but I remember going to Hooter's to see Jones/Hopkins II (don't judge me), but I think I remember that fight being about $55. I bought wings ($10), several beers (about $30 worth at the price of about $4 each because I was in there for hours), and I bought chips & dip ($4...because I was in there so long). Not only that, but I tipped about $15, (because my waitress was hot and she took care of me)...so that's about $60...same price as the actual PPV itself.

I said that to say, some of these same scums that get on the net and whine about how much a PPV costs, are the same ones who buy them. The whole, "this fight isn't worth $60" argument is translation for, "Man, why does this fight cost so much. I'm still gonna buy it, but damn, why are they charging so much?"

I said all that to say, people are never satisfied, period. When PPVs were $25, I remember hearing my dad tripping about the cost (back in the HW era of boxing), lol. Fact is, even if a decent card was $40 (SD) and $50 (HD), guys will still complain. Not only that, but guys are complaining about PPV costs, but these fighters are still cracking over 1M buys. Funny, right? laugh.gif

I agree with you all though...not all pf these guys are PPV worthy, but we all must agree that they need to start somewhere. Oscar didn't always fight top comp on PPV (not that I can remember), but you where he ended up after a few of those "not-so-great" PPV opponents.

Showtime HAS spoiled us with these PPV-length cards, but again, I know it takes money to make money...so I'd rather see boxing cracking over 1M buys, JUST to throw it in the face of these MMA reverends who swear the sport is dead. laugh.gif

I love how you break it down to the last dollar laugh.gif

Hard to stay home after that .....wings beer chips n dip and no clean up!
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 7 2014, 09:34 PM) *
I love how you break it down to the last dollar laugh.gif

Hard to stay home after that .....wings beer chips n dip and no clean up!

Gotta break it down to the last dollar...got to. Lol

I swear I get stupid with my money when I go out (drinking of course). I either graduate to "hog status" or I get tipsy/drunk and generous...lowering everybody else's tab and raising mine from buying others drinks. Lol

I like the "no clean up" part, that's usually the kicker for me, but I just bite the bullet on it. I usually end up paying more than 60-70 on PPVS because I buy food and drinks, but the fact that I can record and keep the fights, is enough for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.