Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victor Ortiz was very comepetetive vs Mayweather
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
geovan10
While Mayweather was winning the fight, mostly due to his scary accurate lead right hands, Ortiz managed to get on the inside whenever he wanted to and was actually hitting(landing left hand leads) and roughing Mayweather on the ropes. Ortiz never felt Mayweathers power. Round 4 was turning into Ortiz's favor until the whole headbutt KO situation. Should the fight live on I believe Ortiz wouldve made Mayweather actually have to dig in and work for the win. If Ortiz beats Collazo, gets Danny Garcia next and beats him in march/april. Would you be fond of Mayweather/Ortiz 2? Very sell-able fight(who else is there left with mayweather?) and could be labeled "Unfinished Business".
checkleft
Welcome to the forums.
mitukczuk
I can't even express how much this business IS finished.
mgrover
rewatching the fight, Ortiz had some success in the first two rounds, but thats about it, not enough to award him the rounds, but like it could be slightly competitive, rather than the one sided beatings we've seen. He had some success with some left hands, but after the first two rounds he didn't do much. Although I can see the argument that Mayweather has issues with southpaws.
Plah
Nah, Ortiz was eating straight rights all night long and his face was already starting to swell in that 4th round. He was having "some success" but that was because he was like 164 on fight night. He was going to get badly cut or stopped eventually.
BigFightFan
The Ghost gave Mayweather more problems in the first few rounds than Ortiz did. Robert was countering Mayweather with body shots everytime he threw a punch in those early rounds and they were landing. I was assuming Canelo would take that strategy into the fight against Mayweather as well. With Ortiz I just shake my head, I truly believe he could have got up from the KDbut chose not to. Mentally he quit and took the easy way out.
mrchitown
QUOTE (geovan10 @ Jan 15 2014, 01:02 AM) *
While Mayweather was winning the fight, mostly due to his scary accurate lead right hands, Ortiz managed to get on the inside whenever he wanted to and was actually hitting(landing left hand leads) and roughing Mayweather on the ropes. Ortiz never felt Mayweathers power. Round 4 was turning into Ortiz's favor until the whole headbutt KO situation. Should the fight live on I believe Ortiz wouldve made Mayweather actually have to dig in and work for the win. If Ortiz beats Collazo, gets Danny Garcia next and beats him in march/april. Would you be fond of Mayweather/Ortiz 2? Very sell-able fight(who else is there left with mayweather?) and could be labeled "Unfinished Business".

He was competitive but he didn't really start landing until the 4th...and while he was competitive he was still losing rounds. That 4th was going to be the 1sr round he won in the fight and I believe that fight would've been stopped in the 6th or th round. No way he was getting back into the fight with the way that eye was looking. Mayweather didn't have to world star his ass he just chose to retaliate m. The knockout would've came either way. It would've been stopped due to the eye or it would've been a sharp right to put Ortiz down. Ortiz was having success but yet it was clear to me he could've got up and he chose to pack it in. That shows that he knew what he was in for and decided to retire for the night

If Mayweather fights Khan and then Ortiz that's 2ko's more then likely. I'm sure he'd like the sound of that but ain't nobody on the edge of their seat to see a rematch with him and Ortiz. Ortiz got unfinished business more with Josesio then Mayweather. And Collazo is going to be a problem for him too. He needs to build himself back up, ain't nobody checking for Victor. That's not an easy sell
Cshel86
I'm gonna be real here...I'd rather see an Ortiz rematch, than a Khan fight at this point. I wouldn't be such a scrub about it, had Khan fought Devon last month.

As for the fight, Victor didn't look terrible, but he was a bit out of his league at some points of the fight. He was having success in the 4th, but he...well...we're all still wondering why the hell he wont truly admit why he did that shit.

I had a pretty good idea of how the Mayweather fight was gonna go, especially after Lamont outwitted and outworked Ortiz just 9 short months before that. Lamont was smaller and didn't have much pop...but he still able to play the cat and mouse game with Victor. Being the bigger guy isn't enough...only when there's a dumb small in front of you, or another big dumb guy standing across the ring from you.
ryustuh
QUOTE (geovan10 @ Jan 15 2014, 02:02 AM) *

saw a lot of activity and output from ortiz, but not a lot of success. agree with the others. as floyd warms up throughout a fight and gets accustomed to his opponents, he tends to progress from solo pot shot counters to more 2-3 punch combos. he would've broken ortiz down physically and mentally. also need to ask yourself how long ortiz could have kept up the pace he had in the first part of the fight especially while eating some solid right hands and stiff jabs.

that's a big IF saying ortiz gets a fight with garcia and beats him. floyd is over the rematch days...
sduck
Ortiz had already become mentally broken down, which why he kept headbutting, and didn't get up after the sucker punch. It was a done fight. My brother still thinks it was a fixed fight lol
Whyu1nunno
Hi guys. I've been lurking in here for about 4 years now lol and i gonna start chiming in. First, some formalities.

My name is Andre Devine and I post in the main articles A LOT. I'm an avid boxing fan. I do a little boxing training (meaning i'm the student, not the teacher) just to box a little and stay in shape. ex military. I come in here probably every day to check the forums and respect all you guys opinions... very knowledgable and entertaining lol.

Anyway, yeah no. i'm sorry, but just to make sure i just rewatched this fight twice. Floyd was touching him a lot in the first 2 rounds, and you could literally see when floyd did his normal adjustment starting in round 3. Also, towards the end of Round 2 when he started doing throwing in jabs with the rights and landing hard left counters/check hooks... it was getting bad in there. Ortiz was doing his best Carlos Molina (LMW) charging bull impression until that flurry at the beginning of Round 3 and a couple of hard lefts had him backing up. I know that Ortiz tried to press the action in round 4 but he didn't land much with his fists and was visibly frustrated. Floyd normally takes a lot longer to break someone mentally but we all know Ortiz's issues. I don't think, the way that he was getting touched with the right hand, and especially surprise counters like the one that almost made him go head first into the turnbuckle Hatton Style lol.

Also, i think a little too much emphasis is being placed on the "getting on the inside of floyd" and "roughing up floyd." Cotto got on the inside and roughed him up when he wanted to and we see how that turned out. Ortiz did not do anything like that at all. I still believed he was just a sheep being led to slaughter. Yeah yeah its boxing so he landed a few punches. 26 to be exact. Through 4 rounds. So how effective was he really? Just being on the inside doesn't matter if its not effective. No this fight was going nowhere. After the first 3 and for the first 2 mins of round four i expected no better than a TKO between 8-10 for Floyd or a stoppage when that eye got busted up a little more...
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (Whyu1nunno @ Jan 15 2014, 12:53 PM) *
Hi guys. I've been lurking in here for about 4 years now lol and i gonna start chiming in. First, some formalities.

My name is Andre Devine and I post in the main articles A LOT. I'm an avid boxing fan. I do a little boxing training (meaning i'm the student, not the teacher) just to box a little and stay in shape. ex military. I come in here probably every day to check the forums and respect all you guys opinions... very knowledgable and entertaining lol.

Anyway, yeah no. i'm sorry, but just to make sure i just rewatched this fight twice. Floyd was touching him a lot in the first 2 rounds, and you could literally see when floyd did his normal adjustment starting in round 3. Also, towards the end of Round 2 when he started doing throwing in jabs with the rights and landing hard left counters/check hooks... it was getting bad in there. Ortiz was doing his best Carlos Molina (LMW) charging bull impression until that flurry at the beginning of Round 3 and a couple of hard lefts had him backing up. I know that Ortiz tried to press the action in round 4 but he didn't land much with his fists and was visibly frustrated. Floyd normally takes a lot longer to break someone mentally but we all know Ortiz's issues. I don't think, the way that he was getting touched with the right hand, and especially surprise counters like the one that almost made him go head first into the turnbuckle Hatton Style lol.

Also, i think a little too much emphasis is being placed on the "getting on the inside of floyd" and "roughing up floyd." Cotto got on the inside and roughed him up when he wanted to and we see how that turned out. Ortiz did not do anything like that at all. I still believed he was just a sheep being led to slaughter. Yeah yeah its boxing so he landed a few punches. 26 to be exact. Through 4 rounds. So how effective was he really? Just being on the inside doesn't matter if its not effective. No this fight was going nowhere. After the first 3 and for the first 2 mins of round four i expected no better than a TKO between 8-10 for Floyd or a stoppage when that eye got busted up a little more...

Welcome
Cshel86
QUOTE (Whyu1nunno @ Jan 15 2014, 11:53 AM) *

4 years??? Shame on you!

laugh.gif

Welcome!
flazi
the beginning of the 4th round was when mayweather opened up on ortiz. it was all bad.
BrutUalBK
It's simply amazing how people want to believe that Ortiz was competitive with Floyd and how he was landing this and that, if that was the case then Victor would not have gotten as frustrated as he did to headbutt Mayweather. This fight was nowhere near close nor was it highly competitive.

Floyd was landing missiles on dude's face and anyone who doesn't hate Mayweather can clearly see that it was only a matter of time before Vic Ortiz gets stopped. LOL Ortiz competitive with Floyd, lol.
Jovi
Lol please dont mention an Ortiz rematch until he rematches Berto and Josesito.

The fight was relatively short and was inside the Mayweather's adjustment stage, where Mayweather was still getting his timing down. But He still landing Straight rights through the guard and outlanding Ortiz every round. Ortiz made it look competitive IMO because he was so damn big, his LOOKED effective, fast, strong and threw some serious combos when Mayweather was on the ropes, but he broke Mentally and the rest is history. He broke before he even got out the Mayweather adjustment stage. After Round 4 Mayweather woulda turned it up, so instead he prob just put it all into that last right hand to keep him down.

If we wanna post about a recent Competitive Mayweather fight, someone make a thread about Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton, just rewatched that fight yesterday and it was awesome. Huge fight, place was packed, the shit looked like a rock concert with all those drunk white boys haha...Also rewatching this fight makes me realize that Mayweather vs Khan is WAYYY MOREE likely to happen than most fights. To my knowledge i just learned Khan has HUGE fanbase (2.2M twitter followers) only behind Mayweather, he's even ahead of Manny...With how electrifying that fight was, i have no doubt with those fans it would be a packed house... Did i mention how awesome and competitive the fight was? haha Mayweather looked really uncomfortable against Hatton, had me thinking of how Broner felt against Maidana, but then to see Mayweather adjust, keep composed and still rise to the occasion and take care of buisness speaks levels to his abilities.
ryustuh
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jan 15 2014, 02:45 PM) *
If we wanna post about a recent Competitive Mayweather fight, someone make a thread about Mayweather vs Ricky Hatton, just rewatched that fight yesterday and it was awesome. Huge fight, place was packed, the shit looked like a rock concert with all those drunk white boys haha...Also rewatching this fight makes me realize that Mayweather vs Khan is WAYYY MOREE likely to happen than most fights. To my knowledge i just learned Khan has HUGE fanbase (2.2M twitter followers) only behind Mayweather, he's even ahead of Manny...With how electrifying that fight was, i have no doubt with those fans it would be a packed house... Did i mention how awesome and competitive the fight was? haha Mayweather looked really uncomfortable against Hatton, had me thinking of how Broner felt against Maidana, but then to see Mayweather adjust, keep composed and still rise to the occasion and take care of buisness speaks levels to his abilities.

ive heard floyd and ellerbe state that the atmosphere during the hatton fight was just unreal and surpassed all others in terms of energy level. not sure if the UK fans love amir as much as hatton though. also pretty confident amir wouldn't make a fight against floyd as exciting or as competitive as the hitman did.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Whyu1nunno @ Jan 15 2014, 09:53 AM) *

Welcome! Why post on this topic of all the topics we have had? I know, you are an Ortiz fan, jk.

Victor's face was starting to swell and he had flashbacks of Maidana. Yes Victor hit Floyd a few times but he was not consistent. Olus his game plane was all wrong. He was going to out muscle and stalk Floyd, when that shit didn't work, his stupidness kicked in. Ortiz is an exciting fighter but dumb! Floyd was landing at will and his eye was on its way to closing, either Ortiz was going to quit, ref stop the fight or Mayweather would go for the kill
kej718
It only went 4 rounds and Floyd usually feels his opponents out the first 2, I think he would have stopped him anyway.
BigFightFan
I agree Floyd was in control, but I doubt he would have stopped Ortiz. 12 round lopsided decision would be the logical choice in this senario.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 15 2014, 05:51 PM) *
I agree Floyd was in control, but I doubt he would have stopped Ortiz. 12 round lopsided decision would be the logical choice in this senario.

Did you see that eye? Look at the clean combos he opened up on him with? He was open casket sharp. I usually agree with Mayweather by decision but no way in hell that fight was going to a decision
mrchitown
QUOTE (Whyu1nunno @ Jan 15 2014, 10:53 AM) *

Lol welcome
mrchitown
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 15 2014, 03:37 PM) *
ive heard floyd and ellerbe state that the atmosphere during the hatton fight was just unreal and surpassed all others in terms of energy level. not sure if the UK fans love amir as much as hatton though. also pretty confident amir wouldn't make a fight against floyd as exciting or as competitive as the hitman did.

It was
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jan 15 2014, 01:45 PM) *

The fight was relatively short and was inside the Mayweather's adjustment stage, where Mayweather was still getting his timing down. But He still landing Straight rights through the guard and outlanding Ortiz every round. Ortiz made it look competitive IMO because he was so damn big, his LOOKED effective, fast, strong and threw some serious combos when Mayweather was on the ropes, but he broke Mentally and the rest is history. He broke before he even got out the Mayweather adjustment stage. After Round 4 Mayweather woulda turned it up, so instead he prob just put it all into that last right hand to keep him down.

His fan base is over blown, if you read the reports from over there he's not very liked as much as GB portrays him. And twitter followers are just that, followers. If having twitter followers guaranteed success then why do we see so many albums flop. Lady Gaga got more followers then him and her shit underperformed badly lmao. Twitter and social media as a whole is not a big indicator of fan bases
mgrover
meh GBP can hype Khan up just like they did with Canelo, every mexican I ever talk to they all like, oh he just a creation by the media.
ryustuh
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 15 2014, 07:17 PM) *
meh GBP can hype Khan up just like they did with Canelo, every mexican I ever talk to they all like, oh he just a creation by the media.

this seems to be true. i'm surprised by the overwhelming support angulo is getting from the mexican fan base after the canelo fight was announced.
MAHDI
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 15 2014, 02:29 PM) *
It's simply amazing how people want to believe that Ortiz was competitive with Floyd and how he was landing this and that, if that was the case then Victor would not have gotten as frustrated as he did to headbutt Mayweather. This fight was nowhere near close nor was it highly competitive.

Floyd was landing missiles on dude's face and anyone who doesn't hate Mayweather can clearly see that it was only a matter of time before Vic Ortiz gets stopped. LOL Ortiz competitive with Floyd, lol.

For real.. Floyd was in a groove and landing at will. It was that 3rd or fourth round when he landed about 15 punch combo on Ortiz's head.... Man he opened up whip ass on Ortiz.. He was pissed after the bitch move by Ortiz, but Floyd briefly paused to glance at the ref, when be noticed VIctor still wanted to bullshit around he let him have it visciously.. nothing new there I Floyd did that the Phillip Ndou Gatti Mosley.. he will do it again against anyone that gives him that opportunity-- Ortiz quit and was scared as hell to get his ass up. I wish he would have- - I know I would have seen a brutal stoppage
Thickback
I totally disagree. While Ortiz did make it very interesting, he wasn't landing much. Also, Ortiz did feel Mayweather's power before the KO. He got hit with a combonation that made him circle the ring for 30-45 seconds while Floyd stalked him. If the fight wasn't cut short, it would've been an entertaining fight for sure, but Mayweather's accuracy frustrated Ortiz early and the mental breakdown had begun early in the fight.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jan 15 2014, 01:45 PM) *

I enjoyed that fight too, especially Floyd sending him flying into the Ringpost but at no point was that fight even competitive--all Hatton did was wrestle and try to rough Mayweather up but as you can see it was totally useless because he was drained mentally by the 9th and taken out handily in the end but still I wasn't the least impressed with Ricky.

Jesus Chavez gave Floyd a far more competitive and effective fight than either Ortiz or Hatton, he wasn't simply mauling and wrestling Mayweather to the ropes, he was throwing punches in bunches and he was landing clean shots whereas Hatton's punches was being smothered and so was Victor's.
MAHDI
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 15 2014, 09:48 PM) *
I enjoyed that fight too, especially Floyd sending him flying into the Ringpost but at no point was that fight even competitive--all Hatton did was wrestle and try to rough Mayweather up but as you can see it was totally useless because he was drained mentally by the 9th and taken out handily in the end but still I wasn't the least impressed with Ricky.

Jesus Chavez gave Floyd a far more competitive and effective fight than either Ortiz or Hatton, he wasn't simply mauling and wrestling Mayweather to the ropes, he was throwing punches in bunches and he was landing clean shots whereas Hatton's punches was being smothered and so was Victor's.

People have dogged Floyd's resume.. he rarely gets credit for stopping Chavez-- that uppercut was serious off the ropes- great win
beenKOed
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 15 2014, 06:48 PM) *

Floyd fights everyone the same way, he watches them for a couple of rounds and then starts picking them apart. I don't think Floyd would have gone for an early KO if Ortiz hadn't started the intentional head butting. When Ortiz stepped over the line he doomed himself to an early and humiliating KO.
As for answering the thread, everyone does ok against Floyd for a few rounds and then Floyd really gets busy picking them apart. Floyd has been hanging around boxing gyms his entire life so there isn't much he hasn't seen or heard about. There are two things you can be sure of, that zero is very important to Floyd and Floyd is very careful about opponent selection. Anything can happen in the ring but I'm sure Floyd will retire undefeated.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (beenKOed @ Jan 15 2014, 10:27 PM) *
Floyd fights everyone the same way, he watches them for a couple of rounds and then starts picking them apart. I don't think Floyd would have gone for an early KO if Ortiz hadn't started the intentional head butting. When Ortiz stepped over the line he doomed himself to an early and humiliating KO.
As for answering the thread, everyone does ok against Floyd for a few rounds and then Floyd really gets busy picking them apart. Floyd has been hanging around boxing gyms his entire life so there isn't much he hasn't seen or heard about. There are two things you can be sure of, that zero is very important to Floyd and Floyd is very careful about opponent selection. Anything can happen in the ring but I'm sure Floyd will retire undefeated.

I'm not sure what you're implying here but I don't think he's being selective when he's fought all of the best with the exception of those who are with Top Rank. People point fingers at him for not facing Margarito (btw, where is he now) and for not facing Paul Williams, Casamayor and PoPo Freitas and last but not least Manny Pac (who is with Top Rank) but with the exception of Manny how significant are any of those fighters today??

No fighter can fight everyone and we know the history/bad blood with ROB Arum/Top Rank so with the exception of those few and the Top Rank/ROB Arum issue then who is it that people feel he's afraid of or supposedly ducking??
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Whyu1nunno @ Jan 15 2014, 12:53 PM) *

Welcome to the club ...I trolled for about 2 years myself.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 15 2014, 08:48 PM) *

I don't know if I'd say the Hatton fight wasn't competitive. Mayweather looked uncomfortable for a while in there and Hatton almost put him down in the 1st. Floyd had to grab the ropes to stay up. I think if he wasn't as athletic as he is he would've hit the canvas that time. This was the first of many Mayweather fights I went to but looking back on it, it was a great fight. The crazy part I'd the fight could've been even greater if the ref would've allowed Hatton to work on the inside. He still would've lost and been ko'd because Floyd is no slouch when it comes to fighting on the inside but the ref never gave Ricky that chance
Whyu1nunno
Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I won't go off re uping everyones posts lol. With that being said let me re up somoene's post

lol
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 16 2014, 09:00 AM) *
I don't know if I'd say the Hatton fight wasn't competitive. Mayweather looked uncomfortable for a while in there and Hatton almost put him down in the 1st. Floyd had to grab the ropes to stay up. I think if he wasn't as athletic as he is he would've hit the canvas that time. This was the first of many Mayweather fights I went to but looking back on it, it was a great fight. The crazy part I'd the fight could've been even greater if the ref would've allowed Hatton to work on the inside. He still would've lost and been ko'd because Floyd is no slouch when it comes to fighting on the inside but the ref never gave Ricky that chance

I'll have to go back and watch it but the ref was Cortez, too, right? He normally doesn't break guys up that quickly but i do recall in the fight almost being frustrated. Ref did a lot of work for floyd breaking them up (even though Floyd didn't really need help) and essentially took Hatton's game plan away, and that was very annoying. I know there were a lot of points where Hatton had that "well what now?" look on his face lol. There were some points though... Floyd started sneaking in elbows and pushing off just enough so the ref wouldn't call it or care, or digging in and popping Hatton with hooks and uppercuts and i remember thinking for the first time "Wow, floyd can actually fight on the inside!" Both guys were phenomenal.

However although hatton pushed floyd around a lot, I also agree that it was less competitive from a boxing or a judging standpoint. Hatton just wasn't landing like he was used to. I remember an interview later where hatton said he "...couldn't hit floyd with a handful of confetti..." lol
mgrover
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 16 2014, 04:38 AM) *
I'm not sure what you're implying here but I don't think he's being selective when he's fought all of the best with the exception of those who are with Top Rank. People point fingers at him for not facing Margarito (btw, where is he now) and for not facing Paul Williams, Casamayor and PoPo Freitas and last but not least Manny Pac (who is with Top Rank) but with the exception of Manny how significant are any of those fighters today??

No fighter can fight everyone and we know the history/bad blood with ROB Arum/Top Rank so with the exception of those few and the Top Rank/ROB Arum issue then who is it that people feel he's afraid of or supposedly ducking??

that doesn't mean shit, since fighters primes come and ago, nobody can be relevant forever, unless you know, you cherry pick your way through the years wink.gif

For the record Floyd wasn't going to KO Ortiz or stop him, well unless the corner called it, just doesn't have the pop, he was hitting Canelo all night long and nothing.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 16 2014, 03:05 PM) *
that doesn't mean shit, since fighters primes come and ago, nobody can be relevant forever, unless you know, you cherry pick your way through the years wink.gif

For the record Floyd wasn't going to KO Ortiz or stop him, well unless the corner called it, just doesn't have the pop, he was hitting Canelo all night long and nothing.

Cherrypick? I guess Floyd going undefeated fighting 20 plus Champions over his lifespan in boxing to you is called "Cherrypicking"!! I can't believe someone would say something like this and call themselves a boxing fan. For the record Floyd was going to KO Ortiz or stop him (which he did anyway) and as far as the pop, why didn't Vic get up if Mayweather had no "pop?"

I swear some of today's youth hasn't got a clue.
Whyu1nunno
I mean... what exactly is cherrypicking? And why does floyd get called a cherrypicker? Who came up with this? When did he start cherry picking? Who did he cherry pick? And why? Just interested in what the answers to these questions are because i haven't found an answer to them over several years. Other than the fight with pac (which pac walked away from 2 times) there was never any guy i had to say "oh he should be fighting THIS guy, not so and so."

Also i'm sorry.... but ortiz was deffo on the way outta there. I always ask this question: "how often do boxers get knocked down by punches they don't see?" Answer? All the time lol. Do they get up? yeah most of them do. They may go on to get stopped but you don't see cold KOs or dudes being as dazed as Ortiz was when floyd hit him with "no pop in his gloves." Either Floyd DOES have pop in his gloves, or Ortiz was taking too much punishment. Getting hit in the face 80 times in 12 minutes will do that lol.
AZWildCat
Pactard Gospel rolleyes_anim.gif gotta love it
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 16 2014, 03:05 PM) *

The way Mayweather was landing those rights so cleanly and how Victor's eye was looking. There's no way I could see that fight not getting stopped. And I'm confused why people keep saying he doesn't have the power to stop someone. I'm of the opinion of the late great Emmanuel Steward, he's more content with going rounds then stepping on the gas and getting his opponent out of there. He had Cotto out and could've finished him, he could've knocked out Zab

Shane was done after that miraculous 2nd round he had and I was disappointed that Mayweather didn't go in for the kill. I think he could have been the 1st man to stop Shane and Manny could have been the 2nd if he hadn't of shown compassion. He could've made a a statement in KO'ing Guerrero but he hurt his hand. He's a quick accurate guy and that's just as damaging as power shots. It's the shots you don't see that mess you up the most and Mayweather is good at that. If he didn't have pop he'd be on Paulie status, nobody walks through him like they do Paulie. He's more then meets the eye in that department
mrchitown
QUOTE (Whyu1nunno @ Jan 16 2014, 03:02 PM) *
Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I won't go off re uping everyones posts lol. With that being said let me re up somoene's post

lol

I'll have to go back and watch it but the ref was Cortez, too, right? He normally doesn't break guys up that quickly but i do recall in the fight almost being frustrated. Ref did a lot of work for floyd breaking them up (even though Floyd didn't really need help) and essentially took Hatton's game plan away, and that was very annoying. I know there were a lot of points where Hatton had that "well what now?" look on his face lol. There were some points though... Floyd started sneaking in elbows and pushing off just enough so the ref wouldn't call it or care, or digging in and popping Hatton with hooks and uppercuts and i remember thinking for the first time "Wow, floyd can actually fight on the inside!" Both guys were phenomenal.

However although hatton pushed floyd around a lot, I also agree that it was less competitive from a boxing or a judging standpoint. Hatton just wasn't landing like he was used to. I remember an interview later where hatton said he "...couldn't hit floyd with a handful of confetti..." lol

Yeah it was him...funny we're talking about the Ortiz fight which he dicked up and essentially he did the same thing in the Hatton fight lol
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 17 2014, 12:00 AM) *
The way Mayweather was landing those rights so cleanly and how Victor's eye was looking. There's no way I could see that fight not getting stopped. And I'm confused why people keep saying he doesn't have the power to stop someone. I'm of the opinion of the late great Emmanuel Steward, he's more content with going rounds then stepping on the gas and getting his opponent out of there. He had Cotto out and could've finished him, he could've knocked out Zab

Shane was done after that miraculous 2nd round he had and I was disappointed that Mayweather didn't go in for the kill. I think he could have been the 1st man to stop Shane and Manny could have been the 2nd if he hadn't of shown compassion. He could've made a a statement in KO'ing Guerrero but he hurt his hand. He's a quick accurate guy and that's just as damaging as power shots. It's the shots you don't see that mess you up the most and Mayweather is good at that. If he didn't have pop he'd be on Paulie status, nobody walks through him like they do Paulie. He's more then meets the eye in that department

could shouda woulda. i was just fucking with the dude before about the cherrypicking shit, its funny how fast people come to his defence. I go by a simple rule, if he could do it, he should of done. your listing all these guys as if he did, but he simply didn't. I don't think Manny showed compassion tbh, I just think he couldn't get set. Obviously I don't think he's on Paulies level, but he's usually in with guys that come in at some stupid weight over 147lb.
mgrover
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 16 2014, 09:45 PM) *
Cherrypick? I guess Floyd going undefeated fighting 20 plus Champions over his lifespan in boxing to you is called "Cherrypicking"!! I can't believe someone would say something like this and call themselves a boxing fan. For the record Floyd was going to KO Ortiz or stop him (which he did anyway) and as far as the pop, why didn't Vic get up if Mayweather had no "pop?"

I swear some of today's youth hasn't got a clue.

sure as hell didnt wanna fight the best when they were the best, he went and bitched out and retired. then took some nice fights lets see, a bloated Marquez(before you say it was okay for pac to fight Marquez, no it wasn't), an old Mosley, Fair enough Ortiz was the lineal champ, but come on now, would of been better if he just beat him without the instant cheap shot(not that Ortiz didn't deserve it). A shopworn Cotto, a Guerrero that simply wasn't ever going to be good enough, and a slow, inexperienced Alvarez who was coming off a win that was very questionable, but we all know why he got the win...

His uncle made it pretty clearly they he retired, waited till the dust settled and then he came back for an easier ride I suppose.

If am the youth you must be the ignorant adult.
truth
Floyd frustrated Ortiz would have ko him in the later rounds Floyd has a killer instinct he just doesn't go for the kill when he was younger he always went for the kill not so much in his older age.when he fought Mosley he was trying to hurt him he just couldn't get him out of there. Nobody walks through him because of his accuracy and timing of his punches although he doesn't have that one ko power that keeps other boxer honest in the ring. Before i forget two things Ortiz quit he could have got up but didn't second Khan is nowhere near Hatton in the uk when it comes to fans may should fight Martinez next that's the big fight for him other than pac
mrchitown
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 16 2014, 06:19 PM) *
could shouda woulda. i was just fucking with the dude before about the cherrypicking shit, its funny how fast people come to his defence. I go by a simple rule, if he could do it, he should of done. your listing all these guys as if he did, but he simply didn't. I don't think Manny showed compassion tbh, I just think he couldn't get set. Obviously I don't think he's on Paulies level, but he's usually in with guys that come in at some stupid weight over 147lb.

I think it's even more funny how your so quick to downplay the guy. Obviously by your avi you ain't a fan of two particulars that I am of. I just offered an alternative opinion, one that's shared by someone much more knowledgeable then me and you. The same way you call a spade a spade I can call one on you and your constant criticism of the guy

I think like the fighters who faced him have said, that he's stronger then he looks. If he had no pop he wouldn't be able to keep guys off of him
AZWildCat
[quote name='mrchitown' date='Jan 17 2014, 01:05 AM' post='597
I just offered an alternative opinion, one that's shared by someone much more knowledgeable then me and you.

I think like the fighters who faced him have said, that he's stronger then he looks.
[/quote]

Your right

Fuck what the wilbons and skip bayless if the worlds are talking about his active boxing peers have labeled him the best.

And that's more than good enough for me.
mgrover
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 17 2014, 05:05 AM) *
I think it's even more funny how your so quick to downplay the guy. Obviously by your avi you ain't a fan of two particulars that I am of. I just offered an alternative opinion, one that's shared by someone much more knowledgeable then me and you. The same way you call a spade a spade I can call one on you and your constant criticism of the guy

I think like the fighters who faced him have said, that he's stronger then he looks. If he had no pop he wouldn't be able to keep guys off of him

oh well am sure his heart can take me down playing him, not sure what you mean by the spade remark, sure he maybe stronger than he looks hence why I said he's usually fighting guys that come in at fight night around 160lb which kinda makes it harder for him to get them out of there. I think both Mayweather and Pacs power is probably limited at 147lb to doing real KO damage, I mean the last big big guy Pac fought was Margs, and he was just taking em, same with Canelo for Floyd.
Jovi
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 17 2014, 12:28 AM) *
[quote name='mrchitown' date='Jan 17 2014, 01:05 AM' post='597
I just offered an alternative opinion, one that's shared by someone much more knowledgeable then me and you.

I think like the fighters who faced him have said, that he's stronger then he looks.

Your right

Fuck what the wilbons and skip bayless if the worlds are talking about his active boxing peers have labeled him the best.

And that's more than good enough for me.

Exactly, I dont understand why people say Mayweather is weak if everyone who fights him says otherwise. and people need to remember: Mayweather's KO percentage was alil above 75% before he got his Championship belt...And that doesn't even matter as much because in Prizefighting the only percentage that matters is the Wins (100%) and Losses (0%). Long as you get the W you getting paid.
Jovi
I believe the only Reason Canelo get didn't KOed was because he was way to Reluctant in opening up against Mayweather because he was getting tagged anytime he was open... If Canelo was trying to come forward the whole fight, he would've been beaten badly and probably stopped. Gotta remember there were points where Mayweather was walking Canelo down. Canelo just couldn't do shit.
Whyu1nunno
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 16 2014, 06:27 PM) *
sure as hell didnt wanna fight the best when they were the best, he went and bitched out and retired. then took some nice fights lets see, a bloated Marquez(before you say it was okay for pac to fight Marquez, no it wasn't), an old Mosley, Fair enough Ortiz was the lineal champ, but come on now, would of been better if he just beat him without the instant cheap shot(not that Ortiz didn't deserve it). A shopworn Cotto, a Guerrero that simply wasn't ever going to be good enough, and a slow, inexperienced Alvarez who was coming off a win that was very questionable, but we all know why he got the win...

His uncle made it pretty clearly they he retired, waited till the dust settled and then he came back for an easier ride I suppose.

If am the youth you must be the ignorant adult.

You're avoiding the complete question..... And trust, I am FAR from ignorant. Aiming that at the wrong dude.

The other half of the question is WHO did he avoid? I know who he fought and why. I understand you not agreeing that the guys he fought were flawed.. but everyone is. Even if he fought and beat:

Pac - you could say he was technically flawed and had too many wars
Martinez - you could say he was too old
Williams - you could say he was inexperienced and a little too slow

Who else did he NOT fight? Those are the only 3. Well actually... no, there was Margarito. But that was a special case, of course since he was already feuding with Robert Arum at the time over contract negotiation but we know this already.

I could go on and on. Answer the question. Who did he avoid? Cotto wasn't ready according to Bob. Shane had a perpetual "toothache" lmao. You see this dudes teeth? They are perfect! Toothache my ass. Don't get me started on pac, who, funny enough in 2008 was ranked P4P #1 but Welterweight #5 and UNRANKED @ 140 (GTFO LMAO) and even then... pac couldn't agree to a drug test (and i cannot respect ANY athlete who refuses a drug test at ANY time) when being trained by ariza. Funny enough, as soon as ariza got kicked to the competition, PAC agrees to drug tests and lo and fucking behold RIOS GETS CAUGHT on his first time out! Hell if i was pac i would've been scared of needles too. So who else? Who was this "best" you're referring to?

The truth is... because floyd is who he is, people are gonna complain no matter who he fights or how he fights. They're gonna have an excuse or not be satisfied. It was the same with other guys. Leonard when he was still boxing. Ali. Etc. Nobody appreciates a great until they are gone for good. But seriously? At least back the shit up. I'm just looking for answers, not half truths or posturing.

Floyd can't fight everyone in the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.