Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: floyd to name opponent within a week
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ryustuh
who has it - amir or maidana, and why?

also what does this mean for broner if floyd goes with chino...
mrchitown
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 15 2014, 07:40 PM) *

Got Damnit rookie! You just cost me $100. This is Dolomite's job laugh.gif

At this point I don't give 2 shits who he picks, either one is going to lose. Maidana has stamina issues and doesn't have enough tools in his tool belt to compete and Khan is Khan.

Dolomite, get on your damn job!
ryustuh
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 15 2014, 10:33 PM) *

At this point I don't give 2 shits who he picks, either one is going to lose. Maidana has stamina issues and doesn't have enough tools in his tool belt to compete and Khan is Khan.

LMAO! thumbsup_anim.gif
Jovi
First pick- Martinez. I think could be his biggest possible fight at the moment.

Second pick- Khan- Big money fight for low risk.

Third pick- Maidana, when Mayweather smacks on Maidana it makes the Broner rematch more plausible for Broner to win.

Guaranteed awesome Undercard
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 15 2014, 07:40 PM) *

In terms of money the nod goes to Khan but in terms of what it would mean on a personal note and how much more the fans will readily appreciate and accept what Mayweather is offering to them then it will likely be Maidana. As far as what it means to Broner is that he (Adrien) will get to see the blueprint that Floyd will put out when he easily defeats/KO's Maidana and then he will call him out for his own brand of vengeance.

Unless Broner makes some serious adjustments then I cannot remotely see him beating Marcos in a rematch fighting the way he did in the first fight.
AZWildCat
Khan or an "undefeated stud"

I don't think he'll step on broners toes for chino. The fight makes more money if broner were to lose again.
Thickback
I personally disagree with Khan being the bigger money fight. Unless everyone is counting on UK money to put revenue over the top. But PPV money --IMO--is based on convincing casual fans to buy the fight, not hardcore fans. If everyone hears that Floyd is fighting "That guy that beat up Broner" then it's an easy sell. But since being beat by Peterson and then KO'd by Garcia, Khan's name is not ringing bells. Had he won those 2 fights, I'd be all for Khan/Mayweather. But with Chino winning 4 straight at WW, all by KO and having a belt AND coming off a big INTERNET crazed win over Broner, thats the fight I'd like to see. That or Bradley which unfortunately won't happen. Guess we'll se soon....

I think Danny Garcia is the dark horse for this fight....
Thickback
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 15 2014, 10:51 PM) *
In terms of money the nod goes to Khan but in terms of what it would mean on a personal note and how much more the fans will readily appreciate and accept what Mayweather is offering to them then it will likely be Maidana. As far as what it means to Broner is that he (Adrien) will get to see the blueprint that Floyd will put out when he easily defeats/KO's Maidana and then he will call him out for his own brand of vengeance.

Unless Broner makes some serious adjustments then I cannot remotely see him beating Marcos in a rematch fighting the way he did in the first fight.

I think Broner will train to throw more punches, but once he gets hit clean again, and chance are he will, then it'll be Part 1 all over again. But he will make it more competitive this time I think. Broner should drop to 140 honestly, there's too many big punchers at WW.
DigitalBoom
QUOTE (Thickback @ Jan 16 2014, 12:14 AM) *
I personally disagree with Khan being the bigger money fight. Unless everyone is counting on UK money to put revenue over the top. But PPV money --IMO--is based on convincing casual fans to buy the fight, not hardcore fans. If everyone hears that Floyd is fighting "That guy that beat up Broner" then it's an easy sell. But since being beat by Peterson and then KO'd by Garcia, Khan's name is not ringing bells. Had he won those 2 fights, I'd be all for Khan/Mayweather. But with Chino winning 4 straight at WW, all by KO and having a belt AND coming off a big INTERNET crazed win over Broner, thats the fight I'd like to see. That or Bradley which unfortunately won't happen. Guess we'll se soon....

That last line you said is interesting..because Garcia has been quiet as hell lately..no mention of a next fight or possible opponent and that camp is rarely quiet long. Hmmm.
The Original MrFactor
Dont want to see May vs Khan or Maidana. i think he beats both of them easily. I like the idea of Danny Garcia, who I think he beats relatively easily as well. I also love the matchup with Sergio Martinez at 154. My wish would be Erislandy Lara just because I think he presents a significant challenge, but no way does Mayweather take on that guy, right??
Thickback
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 16 2014, 01:38 AM) *
That last line you said is interesting..because Garcia has been quiet as hell lately..no mention of a next fight or possible opponent and that camp is rarely quiet long. Hmmm.

It was a talked about a lil bit after the FLoyd/Canelo PPV. Angel Garcia called it a "Holy War" or something like that. I would prefer Danny over Khan as well but I think Maidana has a better shot at pulling the upset than Danny does.
Kratza
Khan gets the nod because Broner has exercised his rematch clause with Maidana, Garcia wants no piece of Mayweather yet which is a good decision for his career IMO and Martinez is gonna agree to fight Cotto for a bit less than what he's asking for
CrazyBuffalO
Based on the "pattern" that we've seen of Floyd in the past, I think Maidana.

Floyd has a habit of avenging black fighters who try to imitate him in the ring and have lost. Berto lost to Ortiz, and Floyd fought Ortiz. Again, Berto lost to Guerrero, and Floyd fought Guerrero. And Berto is a fighter who tries hard to imitate Floyd in the ring. And Floyd does that to show both Ortiz and Guerrero that "hey I'm the real deal."
Franchize
From all the interviews I've seen, I don't think Danny wants any parts of Floyd yet. He's playing it smart. Soaking up his 15 minutes and trying to stretch it to a half hour. No sense sprinting to an ass whooping. I think Floyd should fight Maidana. Khan is high risk, low reward for him in my opinion. Sure, everyone sees Khan as the dude with the wet paper bag chin. And rightfully so. But Floyd isn't a big puncher and I always thought Khan possessed the speed and punch rate to give him a few problems. I think Floyd would ultimately figure him out and KO him but I don't see how he benefits legacy wise from this fight. Only benefit in fighting Khan is the potential UK money. Miadana simply has a big punchers chance. Unless Floyd gets caught with one big shot, I can't see Maidana winning. I can see him looking like Baldomir out there...especially if he comes in flabby like he did vs Broner. I would fight Maidana if I was Floyd. Much like Danny when he fought Matthysse, he'll get the fanfare from facing the new "big bad wolf". It's the May fight so the Hispanic factor still exists. Plus, if he wins, he can probably convince Miadana to fight either Broner or Matthysse on his Sept undercard...both fights that will pack the house by themselves.
Plah
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 16 2014, 01:13 AM) *
Dont want to see May vs Khan or Maidana. i think he beats both of them easily. I like the idea of Danny Garcia, who I think he beats relatively easily as well. I also love the matchup with Sergio Martinez at 154. My wish would be Erislandy Lara just because I think he presents a significant challenge, but no way does Mayweather take on that guy, right??

No way lol, but imo that's his biggest challenge right now. But that fight is the Epitome of a Lose/Lose situation
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 15 2014, 09:33 PM) *

Cshel86

QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Jan 16 2014, 12:38 AM) *

secret.gif secret.gif secret.gif

cool.gif
un01

I really don't get all this talk of Amir Khan having a huge following and being a big money fight either. I don't see UK fans giving Khan the same type of support that Argentine fans give Matthysse or Maidana. In fact Khan seems to be viewed as a joke over there just as he is here. If they're gonna go the Khan route, They're gonna have a real tough time selling it. Khan does NOT have a household name, no matter how much Goldenboy and Team Mayweather say otherwise, he hasn't had a huge win against a top guy, so it will be impossible for Goldenboy to sell it as a competitive fight especially to casuals who tune in to see Mayweather lose. Khan's image as a solid fighter has also gone down the shitter over the past two years, so selling it to the Hardcore market would also be a tough sell.
Gambit808
Boy, Khan's gonna look like a real dick head if this fight don't get made. Not that I'm not sure GBP won't have someone with a name lined up for him if he don't, it's just...man, put so much time and effort holding off for this fight and he not even the A side fighter no2.gif
ryustuh
QUOTE (Thickback @ Jan 16 2014, 01:14 AM) *

i'd much rather see floyd fight garcia than either khan or maidana. garcia floyd with broner maidana on the UC would be unreal.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 15 2014, 06:33 PM) *

They say always bet on black, dude I'm brown, lol.
Cshel86
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 16 2014, 11:53 AM) *
i'd much rather see floyd fight garcia than either khan or maidana. garcia floyd with broner maidana on the UC would be unreal.

That Broner/Maidana rematch on the undercard would be a big seller...because of all the hype behind it. Noth guys would of course have to take a paycut though...I think GBP will use that rematch to make more money on another occasion, but then again, you never know...
Dolimite
I'm crossing my fingers for a wild card. Maidana and AB has a date set for late April. Now Khan has been very quiet so this could be a sign. If Floyd does pick Maidana then AB has no dance partner and that could cause a rift between the two men.
ryustuh
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 16 2014, 01:52 PM) *
I'm crossing my fingers for a wild card. Maidana and AB has a date set for late April. Now Khan has been very quiet so this could be a sign. If Floyd does pick Maidana then AB has no dance partner and that could cause a rift between the two men.

this would be legit if it actually plays out that way. if floyd is as business-savvy as we all think he is, he'll realize a future match-up with AB would gain a TON of attention. it may even be the first time floyd wouldn't be the villain. of course AB would have to win a tune-up, but damn...could you imagine the sheer amount of shit talking that would take place if these two got to squabblin?
Jovi
The only reason i even think of Khan is because his twitter following. It might sound stupid but i think there's something to it. He must have that Arab money or something haha. He even has more followers than Pacquiao who's supposed to be an international star. So i don't understand it either but people in the boxing business are always saying that Floyd vs Khan would be big money, I don't know why personally but maybe they do. This should be the only fight that Mayweather goes overseas for..... I just believe there's a reason they continue to mention this fight, the twitter following was the only thing that convinced me when compared to everyone else in the boxing world.

Best fight in terms of legacy right now for me would be Martinez, I believe this Mayweather deal is the only reason he hasn't signed with Cotto yet, because win or Lose he can still fight cotto next.

About the Broner vs Maidana rematch, Maidana (or his people) said recently that they ARE NOT fighting in April, so 1: rematch could be on undercard of Mayweather fight. 2: It could be Mayweather vs Maidana. or 3: Maidana vs Khan 2 on undercard of Mayweather vs Martinez to have the Argentines one card and the winner gets Mayweather in september. Broner may have to let this go, Mayweather mentioned this too, maybe for a reason.

Mayweather vs Lara would be my favorite out of all of them, but i don't think Mayweather takes it just because of the money factor, I think they could just build it up by showing more about Lara and trying to build him up, Why Cuba kicked em him out but he still does it for his country and his family. Idk some deep shit that could make someone cry but also really respect Lara and then showing how made it through the Angulo fight when they wanted him to lose, idk do something if they promoters i can see how good they are for real by Promoting a fight that would probably be Hard to promote. But in terms of the fight, I see Mayweather taking that; Lara's defense is mostly in legs and upperbody movement but he doesn't block as well as move. Angulo BROKE DOWN Lara textbook style, attack the body and the head will come, Yes Lara made it out, but imagine if Angulo just had a bit better defense and rode the fight out. I lean towards Mayweather on the inside too, i think he will catch Lara with Flash Knockdowns all day. Mayweather's not weak by any means, and I haven't heard of any hand problems lately so at this present moment I have Mayweather by TKO.

Last time i heard about Garcia, he wanted NO part of Mayweather. But if he waits till Mayweather gets older, he could be the one to take the crown. Also Garcia vs Maidana would be amazing.
Cshel86
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 16 2014, 01:01 PM) *
this would be legit if it actually plays out that way. if floyd is as business-savvy as we all think he is, he'll realize a future match-up with AB would gain a TON of attention. it may even be the first time floyd wouldn't be the villain. of course AB would have to win a tune-up, but damn...could you imagine the sheer amount of shit talking that would take place if these two got to squabblin?

Pffff! Please! I cant even see a Floyd/Broner fight happening...not even sure why people entertained it in the first place. Maidana was Broner's Castillo...and he failed the test. Now he needs a mulligan to prove to people that he's the real deal, but that loss will be venomously remembered by the public.

You're right though, if Floyd faces Maidana, then that will take some (if not a lot) of steam out of a Broner/Maidana rematch, which in turn will take away from some of Adrien's steam....if that makes any sense.
mgrover
People who keep playing up the twitter followers bullshit, you know you can buy twitter followers?
Jovi
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 16 2014, 04:09 PM) *
People who keep playing up the twitter followers bullshit, you know you can buy twitter followers?

No i didn't know that, good point. But more than Pacquiao? wouldn't they have bought more for Pac too? Its a significant number difference too.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 16 2014, 11:32 AM) *
They say always bet on black, dude I'm brown, lol.

Word to Snipes laugh.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (Jovi @ Jan 16 2014, 10:30 PM) *
No i didn't know that, good point. But more than Pacquiao? wouldn't they have bought more for Pac too? Its a significant number difference too.

Who knows tbh, I doubt Pac ever gave a fuck, he's not really a social media type of dude.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 16 2014, 07:13 PM) *
Word to Snipes laugh.gif

Was it john cutter or carter lol
Whyu1nunno
I keep trying to Justify the Khan fight and i can't. I have friends in the UK and they don't even care much for him. If anything I hope its not khan just so i can see that shit faced grin of his wiped off. I suppose i'm ok with watching him get his ass kicked too. I don't know.... i'm just looking for someone more competitive but there's no one out there.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 16 2014, 04:13 PM) *
Word to Snipes laugh.gif

Best line of Passenger 57!

Floyd is in South Africa no publicity from the major news outlets about his trip... I guess it was too positive.
ryustuh
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 17 2014, 12:09 PM) *
Floyd is in South Africa no publicity from the major news outlets about his trip... I guess it was too positive.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10299...-manny-pacquiao

check out the comments section...smh
mgrover
The whole south africa deal, maybe Floyd doesn't enjoy 37% of his purse being taken either.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 17 2014, 10:41 AM) *
The whole south africa deal, maybe Floyd doesn't enjoy 37% of his purse being taken either.

That's how much he pays in taxes or how much Nevada takes out?
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 17 2014, 08:02 PM) *
That's how much he pays in taxes or how much Nevada takes out?

well tbf I know that Pac had to pay a very high percentage out of his purse to taxes, so why wouldn't Mayweather?
Tha Docta
so floyds not going to make the most lucrative fight out there. i have a feeling that if floyd was confident he could beat manny, they would have fought already. i cant believe all of these excuses that are coming out of his mouth. floyds career will be defined by missing this fight. what a shame.
ryustuh
QUOTE (Tha Docta @ Jan 17 2014, 04:45 PM) *
so floyds not going to make the most lucrative fight out there. i have a feeling that if floyd was confident he could beat manny, they would have fought already. i cant believe all of these excuses that are coming out of his mouth. floyds career will be defined by missing this fight. what a shame.

wow...
checkleft
From what I know he fights in Vegas to pay less taxes
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 17 2014, 11:29 PM) *

it all seems expensive as shit, i think both 27% or 37% would make me cry if am not getting the national health service lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 16 2014, 06:41 PM) *
Was it john cutter or carter lol

Cutter lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 17 2014, 05:29 PM) *

That's what I thought, the tax breaks in Vegas are beautiful from what I've heard. That's almost like living in Fla..Pacquiao ain't from here so maybe it's different. I know NBA, NFL, MLB players have to pay taxes in every state they play in but I ain't never heard that coming to no huge percentage
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 17 2014, 11:09 AM) *
Best line of Passenger 57!

That ain't what the people over there saying, they saying he canceled some clinic and he's really out there scouting locations for a potential fight. I don't ever see Floyd fighting outside of the U.S. anything is possible but he'd have to probably do the same thing Manny is supposed to be doing, which is pay here and there
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 17 2014, 09:41 PM) *
That's what I thought, the tax breaks in Vegas are beautiful from what I've heard. That's almost like living in Fla..Pacquiao ain't from here so maybe it's different. I know NBA, NFL, MLB players have to pay taxes in every state they play in but I ain't never heard that coming to no huge percentage

Where pac is fucked is that he's not a citizen, and he has to pay the Philippines.... And worst of all arum
KOpower
Mayweather's hands are a big reason he only fights in Vegas. Mayweather injects pain killers into his hands before fights because of how brittle they are. He uses drugs like Xylocaine that are illegal in almost every other state except Nevada.

I would say that the drugs that are legal in Nevada are really the only reason he fights all of his fights in Vegas. Taxes help, but if that were the case then no big fight would ever be made outside of Vegas.
Dolimite
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 18 2014, 08:24 AM) *
Mayweather's hands are a big reason he only fights in Vegas. Mayweather injects pain killers into his hands before fights because of how brittle they are. He uses drugs like Xylocaine that are illegal in almost every other state except Nevada.

I would say that the drugs that are legal in Nevada are really the only reason he fights all of his fights in Vegas. Taxes help, but if that were the case then no big fight would ever be made outside of Vegas.

Home court.
Cshel86
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 18 2014, 10:24 AM) *

Gambit808
QUOTE (KOpower @ Jan 18 2014, 10:24 AM) *

Where'd u get that from?
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 18 2014, 03:09 AM) *
Where pac is fucked is that he's not a citizen, and he has to pay the Philippines.... And worst of all arum

Yeah I think that's why a lot of taxes get taken out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.