AZWildCat
How do "you" determine either?

String of wins
String of losses
Lifestyle
Activity level
competition level

mgrover
I don't quite understand what you asking? If based on what you've listed what would be in there prime and out there prime?
ryustuh
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 16 2014, 08:55 PM) *

String of wins
String of losses
Lifestyle
Activity level
competition level

def not by string of wins. case in point pacquiao who hasn't really looked that great since cotto/hatton, but has been the victor in many fights since. def not by age...look at bernard. his win over pavlik was one of his best and most dominant performances i thought. not lifestyle...rjj, de la hoya, tyson, and manny were party crazy throughout the high points of their careers.

just going through process of elimination, i couldn't really pick any single aspect you listed above. for me it's something intangible - i have to look at the strength/caliber of the fighter's opposition, the figther's boxing technique/ability to execute a game plan against that opposition, and how dominant a fighter is in a given fight. i compare all of these factors in a figther's career and determine if the fighter has improved or is on the decline. this is how i assess boxers and decide whether they're in or past their prime if i am understanding your question correctly.
Gambit808
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 16 2014, 07:55 PM) *

String of wins
String of losses
Lifestyle
Activity level
competition level

It pretty much answers itself. If its not one its the other.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 16 2014, 08:01 PM) *
I don't quite understand what you asking? If based on what you've listed what would be in there prime and out there prime?

How would "you" determine a fighter in or out of their prime ...I just gave examples
sduck
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 16 2014, 07:55 PM) *

String of wins
String of losses
Lifestyle
Activity level
competition level

In this order:
Activity level
String of wins
String of losses
Competition level
Lifestyle
Thickback
Wins don't play a big part at all IMO.

Physical state
Durability
Reflexes
Speed
AZWildCat
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 16 2014, 09:30 PM) *
def not by string of wins. case in point pacquiao who hasn't really looked that great since cotto/hatton, but has been the victor in many fights since. def not by age...look at bernard. his win over pavlik was one of his best and most dominant performances i thought. not lifestyle...rjj, de la hoya, tyson, and manny were party crazy throughout the high points of their careers.

just going through process of elimination, i couldn't really pick any single aspect you listed above. for me it's something intangible - i have to look at the strength/caliber of the fighter's opposition, the figther's boxing technique/ability to execute a game plan against that opposition, and how dominant a fighter is in a given fight. i compare all of these factors in a figther's career and determine if the fighter has improved or is on the decline. this is how i assess boxers and decide whether they're in or past their prime if i am understanding your question correctly.

competition level

You got the right idea
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 16 2014, 09:37 PM) *
It pretty much answers itself. If its not one its the other.

I just threw in a few off the top that could be brought up... there's a bunch of factors to round up
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Thickback @ Jan 16 2014, 11:20 PM) *
Wins don't play a big part at all IMO.

Physical state
Durability
Reflexes
Speed

Really digging this answer ....on the money!
AZWildCat
When I think past prime fighter El terrible comes to mind. He was nearing the end of his prime(if not already there) during the raheem fight. But still managed to give maidana and Garcia a run for there money before fizzling out for good.
Thickback
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 17 2014, 01:00 AM) *
Really digging this answer ....on the money!

Thanks! thumbsup_anim.gif
DigitalBoom
Kinda hard to say with boxing since much of it is based on something that isn't visible and that being the brain. A guy like Mayweather at 36/37 has about as much brain trauma from boxing as some 25 year olds. Accumulative damage being the main factor I think. You have some brawlers who are shot by the age of 28...some even earlier than that. Something like career prime should really center from event to event in one on one based sports, it's jarring how much a fighter can age from one fight to the next in boxing. I thought Cotto was done after Margarito and Pacquaio but he seems to have something left in the tank so who knows.
mgrover
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 17 2014, 02:44 AM) *
How would "you" determine a fighter in or out of their prime ...I just gave examples

simply by the fact there never as good as they once were
aTYpicalTYrant
"Past His Prime" - Jose Sulaiman

Yeah I know it's too soon.....
checkleft
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 17 2014, 12:48 AM) *
competition level

You got the right idea

Church
mitukczuk
Prime - Ability to put boxing theory into practice

Past Prime - Loss of said ability
mgrover
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jan 18 2014, 07:33 PM) *
Prime - Ability to put boxing theory into practice

Past Prime - Loss of said ability

What about those that could never really put boxing theory into place, since there are some that just go to slug it out, aka Rios.
klonopinz
who ever said competition level is correct IMO, because that will test all the other factors at the same time. to be fighting elite competition means you still got some goods, as long as you got some form of the goods, you aint past your prime imo
AZWildCat

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 18 2014, 06:18 PM) *
What about those that could never really put boxing theory into place, since there are some that just go to slug it out, aka Rios.

Great point
AZWildCat
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jan 20 2014, 08:49 PM) *
who ever said competition level is correct IMO, because that will test all the other factors at the same time. to be fighting elite competition means you still got some goods, as long as you got some form of the goods, you aint past your prime imo

Church
sduck
QUOTE (sduck @ Jan 16 2014, 11:02 PM) *
In this order:
Activity level
String of wins
String of losses
Competition level
Lifestyle

Age plays the biggest factor because it determines how far you are in your career.
Health is second because that's what matters most in determining someone is at their best or not.
Activity Level is third because the further you are in your career, the less you fight, naturally given your age and state of health.
String of wins is fourth because winning factors in your state of health, whether it's good or bad.
String of losses is connected to string of wins, and usually determines that a fighter is in a downturn of their career.
Competition Level is second to last, because it makes little difference in determining if you're in your prime or not. You have someone like Bernard Hopkins who's no longer in his prime, but still fights detailed competition.
Lifestyle is last because how a fighter lives his life means nothing inside the ring; unless of course he's an addict.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.