Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP: Jose Sulaiman
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
It's confirmed all over the net. While I disagreed with many of the things that Jose did throughout his relationship with the WBC such as showing favoritism to promoters, and Mexican contenders and champions in the ratings, and still hate the WBC 4th and 8th round Open Scoring system, which thankfully many federations have nullified for WBC fights, the man himself was a tireless worker and very dedicated to the sport of boxing for decades. His son and he were always very helpful and supportive in my communications with the WBC through the years. Jose was certainly just as innovative and motivated in boxing as he was controversial. A good article here:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10306...ulaiman-dies-82

(Credit:ESPN)

I ask that users please do not turn this into a bashing/name calling thread! You can talk about Mr. Suliman's negative aspects, but please do so in a professional way that is respectful of the Fighthype Community. Comments just there to spam and slander will be deleted. They will not be tolerated.

Jack

Administrator
AZWildCat
THE WBC IS THE PREMIER TITLE IN BOXING. JOSE'S CONTRABUTION TO THE SPORT IS EVIDENT. HE WILL BE MISSED. RIP
Jack 1000
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 16 2014, 10:37 PM) *
THE WBC IS THE PREMIER TITLE IN BOXING. JOSE'S CONTRABUTION TO THE SPORT IS EVIDENT. HE WILL BE MISSED. RIP

The WBA and the WBC were always the main titles of boxing in my view. All the others were off-sets. For instance, the IBF formed when Bob Lee lost a bid for the WBA Presidency to longtime President Gilberto Mendosa Sr. He formed the IBF because he believed that African-American fighters were not getting proper respect from the other organizations. The WBO began under the leadership of Edward Levine and about twenty other delegates who left the WBA because they did not like the way President Mendosa was running the organization.

However, the main two organizations the WBA formed in 1962 and the WBC formed in 1963 represented the first international representation of world championships on the world stage. Before that time, so much of boxing was in a very good way Americanized, but it is to the WBA and WBC's credit that showed how fighters from other countries and nations, could symbolically compete beyond American shores. Look at the wonderfully enthusiastic Mexican, Latino, and Latin-American crowds who come together to show great loyalty to their love of fighters and their country. Mexican boxing has such a strong and symbolic heritage with its loyalty and dedication. Jose Suliman, despite the negatives and favoritism he may have shown to certain fighters and promoters, was a very motivational and inspirational leader in boxing. For instances his dedication to the safety of fighters, the use of preliminary weigh-in's, working with doctors other medical authorities to study the fighter as a whole person, His past, present, and future. For example, back in about 1981, when they did pre-fight physicals, doctors listed to a fighters' heart, checked pulse, and blood pressure. That was all. Today you have CAT-Scans, MRI's, life insurance program policies to help fighters, the "WBC Cares" for under privileged children suffering from life-threatening illnesses in hospitals. Jose would often take his time to visit the kids and console them.

Jose Sulaiman and the WBC Medical Board were innovators in areas such as mandatory drug-testing for all WBC fights since 1976, the required four-ring rope, the reduction of championship fights from 15 to 12 rounds, preliminary weigh-in's, the use of instant replay to review controversial calls pending commission approval. All of these things were elements that Jose Sulaiman brought to the sport. His influence no matter what one may think of him will never be forgotten! In my view, I always believed that Jose Suliaman was the most active and dedicated boxing federation President. He never stopped working or dedicating his life to the sport he loved.

Jack
mrchitown
I think he did a lot of wrong in the sport but he did some good too and that green belt is cherished by many boxers for a reason. RIP and condolences to his family
Dolimite
How old is Arum?

He had a nice life and he lived a good one.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 17 2014, 10:42 AM) *
How old is Arum?

He had a nice life and he lived a good one.

Bob is 82 Born the same year as Jose, 1931.

Jack
checkleft
Made it to his 80s, met tons of boxing stars, and made a lot of money. He lived a pretty amazing long full life, rip even though I didn't always agree with his decisions he was a big part of boxing for a long time.

Wonder who's in charge now??
Jack 1000
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 18 2014, 03:13 AM) *
Made it to his 80s, met tons of boxing stars, and made a lot of money. He lived a pretty amazing long full life, rip even though I didn't always agree with his decisions he was a big part of boxing for a long time.

Wonder who's in charge now??

I believe his son Mauricio. I communicate from him via email him from time to time. Nice guy. Very caring and professional in communicating with me, Maybe some of the negative and controversial stigma from the WBC leadership could be reduced if Mauricio can do the right things. For all the controversy involved in Jose's career and life, people have been coming from all over the world to pay their final respects and help the Sulaiman family.

Jack
Jack 1000
This is an EXCELLENT article on the former WBC leader:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituari...rt-9068358.html

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.