Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Matthysse Fans Left???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86

Just askin'....
Dolimite
He never had real fans, he was just the next guy that would be Mayweather
ryustuh
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 22 2014, 10:36 AM) *

Just askin'....

lol at the pic. i still like him. i think a fight with rios might suit him well.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 22 2014, 10:07 AM) *
lol at the pic. i still like him. i think a fight with rios might suit him well.

Yes, I'm still a fan. He can beat the likes of Rios, Alvarado and even Maidana but it's unlikely he moves to WW.
AZWildCat
He's never in a boring fight...I'm a fan of that laugh.gif
aTYpicalTYrant
I'm still a fan. I just need him to get back in the ring.
BoxingEinstein

Of course there are, the man comes to fight in all of his battles and leaves his heart and soul in that squared circle. He is a warrior that doesn't complain even when he gets the wrong end of the stick.

Simply put, when Garcia moves up Lucas will be "thee man" at JWW. I don't understand how he lost fans in the first place. He lost in a very good competitive fight against the guy who is the champ, who is the real deal, and someone who was much overlooked by people.

Can't wait for him and Danny to get back in the ring and also the likes of Ward, Stevenson, Kovalev, Maidana, Gonzalez, Rigo, etc. Lucas is def still a very good fighter that can beat all of the JWW (still gives Danny a competitive fight if they rematch) and some of the top WW.
mrchitown
I'm a fan but I don't and never will understand why fighters like Matthysse, Golovkin and some others are always built up as robocop after a few KO's. Like him but he ain't what they thought he was. Now those same guys who were cheerleading for him have jumped to Maidana and when he loses they'll jump to someone else
Plah
I'm here!!! lol
un01
I'm still a fan. Matthysse is probably the most unluckiest fighter. Everyone knows about the two decisions that should of gone his way, but losing the biggest fight of your career thanks to a swelled eye has to hurt the most. Hopefully he can bounce back and have a good 2014.
checkleft
I've always have been a huge fan of the argie trio. Even before they made their marks
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 23 2014, 05:53 AM) *
I've always have been a huge fan of the argie trio. Even before they made their marks

I wonder how long before they have a fight back home all three of them, could be either

The machine vs chino

and Maravilla vs GGG
AZWildCat
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 23 2014, 05:53 AM) *
I wonder how long before they have a fight back home all three of them, could be either

The machine vs chino

and Maravilla vs GGG

Everyone forgets about abregu!
Cshel86
Whew...just checkin'. All I was reading before Sept 14th was "Matthysse vs (insert 140 lb fighter's name) and "fantasy match this fantasy match that"...but not long after he got whopped up, the Lucas fans got quiet.

Though boxing is the "theater of the unknown", we cant go off on whim and say that Lucas would've beaten Danny, had his eye not swollen up. If that's the case, then we cold say that Ortiz was gonna beat Mayweather, had his eye not started to swell and the headbutt didn't occur.

Anyhow, I still like Matthysse, but as Chi said, it seems like he wasn't who people made him out to be...he was outboxed by Judah (for the most part), outlasted by Devon (very close fight), and outworked and somewhat embarrassed by Garcia.

I want to see him back in the ring soon, but he's at that stage where he cant fight anymore shopworn guys and unknowns...kinda like the situation that Berto's in. He (Berto) was built up off of whacking tomato cans and guys who were on their way out (aside from Collazo), but as soon as he stepped up to B-class fighters (Ortiz, Guerrero) he looked horrible, and even got washed away by Karrass, who's C-level at best.

Does anybody else agree that he'll have to fight someone of note, or at least somebody who can give him a run for his money??? He cant come back and fight FNF level fighters and get his respect back, so tot speak...because fighting those guys is what got him to where he is now...looking below average against guys who know what they're doing in there. I'll give him ONE "shake the rust off" fight, but that's it.

I have a few suggestions...hell, I even have a noteworthy shopworn guy who he can get in there with...Morales, maybe?

Other than that, guys like Vernon Paris, Kendall Holt, or Hank Lundy would be pretty good fights, honestly. I'd also like to see him in with Bredis Prescott or even...Karim Mayfield (not sure how the TR stuff will play out)...

Ooh ooh!!!...what about if GBP eventually built up a Matthysse vs Ricardo Alvarez bout??? Thoughts???

PS: Carlos Abregu is my motherfreakin' dude!
Kratza
Still a fan lol he's still one of the best fighters at 140, I'd like to see him in with Khan later down the line and also Maidana
Dolimite
Matthysse vs. Hank Lundy
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 23 2014, 10:40 AM) *
Matthysse vs. Hank Lundy

You really want to see Matthysse lose
Gambit808
I still believe a Maidana-Matthysse super fight is still on the table...it's just been put on delay as a result of 2013. Quite frankly, if things went in Matthysse's favor against Garcia the way that it did for Maidana against Broner, we most definitely would be discussing this fight becoming the most probable event right about now, BUT since it didn't, Matthysse's in the position of playing catch up, being a step behind Maidana so as long as his own success continues to build from here on out. Who knows maybe an impressive win against a known opponent is all Lucas Matthysse needs to set that up in the near future, but I'm still riding with him, but if he ain't saying much and there's not much to report about him until an opponent for him is announce, it's really not much to talk about. Have him comeback and fight one of the top 10 LWW's and we'll see what his fists have to say about his last fight.
checkleft
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 23 2014, 11:04 AM) *
Everyone forgets about abregu!

He's very underrated, but I think that fight against Bradley really left a bad impression on people.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 23 2014, 11:41 AM) *
Whew...just checkin'. All I was reading before Sept 14th was "Matthysse vs (insert 140 lb fighter's name) and "fantasy match this fantasy match that"...but not long after he got whopped up, the Lucas fans got quiet.

Though boxing is the "theater of the unknown", we cant go off on whim and say that Lucas would've beaten Danny, had his eye not swollen up. If that's the case, then we cold say that Ortiz was gonna beat Mayweather, had his eye not started to swell and the headbutt didn't occur.

Anyhow, I still like Matthysse, but as Chi said, it seems like he wasn't who people made him out to be...he was outboxed by Judah (for the most part), outlasted by Devon (very close fight), and outworked and somewhat embarrassed by Garcia.

I want to see him back in the ring soon, but he's at that stage where he cant fight anymore shopworn guys and unknowns...kinda like the situation that Berto's in. He (Berto) was built up off of whacking tomato cans and guys who were on their way out (aside from Collazo), but as soon as he stepped up to B-class fighters (Ortiz, Guerrero) he looked horrible, and even got washed away by Karrass, who's C-level at best.

Does anybody else agree that he'll have to fight someone of note, or at least somebody who can give him a run for his money??? He cant come back and fight FNF level fighters and get his respect back, so tot speak...because fighting those guys is what got him to where he is now...looking below average against guys who know what they're doing in there. I'll give him ONE "shake the rust off" fight, but that's it.

I have a few suggestions...hell, I even have a noteworthy shopworn guy who he can get in there with...Morales, maybe?

Other than that, guys like Vernon Paris, Kendall Holt, or Hank Lundy would be pretty good fights, honestly. I'd also like to see him in with Bredis Prescott or even...Karim Mayfield (not sure how the TR stuff will play out)...

Ooh ooh!!!...what about if GBP eventually built up a Matthysse vs Ricardo Alvarez bout??? Thoughts???

PS: Carlos Abregu is my motherfreakin' dude!

You think he lost to devon? I'm a big fan of Lucas but he started too late in the Judah fight. But the devon fight should not have been a L in my opinion.

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 23 2014, 12:40 PM) *
Matthysse vs. Hank Lundy

wasn't this suppose to happen? When mike Dallas filled in?

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 23 2014, 01:05 PM) *

Hank lundy is a funny guy. He has a little philly in him, dude has too much courage for his own good. Evertime he fights a slugger he has every chance to box the shit out of them but he gets suckered in and put in a bad place lol. Very entertaining fighter, still remember his loud ass training in the backround when ward was getting in a light workout in 50s gym
AZWildCat
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 23 2014, 03:19 PM) *
He's very underrated, but I think that fight against Bradley really left a bad impression on people.

It like if you lose to Bradley you were garbage to start with tim
Is a true Rodney Dangerfield laugh.gif no respect!!! ....not to mention abregu did derail delorme like a red headed stepchild
AZWildCat
Side note ....responding on this board from moblie is irritating as fuc....I wrote more but lost it trying to fix it ..I can't be the only one
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 23 2014, 02:19 PM) *
You think he lost to devon? I'm a big fan of Lucas but he started too late in the Judah fight. But the devon fight should not have been a L in my opinion.

Years ago, I said yes...I thought Devon took 1-3, Lucas clearly took round 4, Devon squeezed in rounds 5 and 6, Lucas took 7 and 8, Devon stole round 9, and round 10 was up in the air, but it seems that Lucas took it. I thought he started slow in that fight as well, but after I saw it again months later, they were going tit for tat damn near from the opening bell.

After seeing that, I still had the same score, but given the bombs that they were throwing, Devon eaked out a decision and stole some rounds because Lucas seemed to have stepped off the gas a bit, plus all of the clinching. NOW, as you or Chi mentioned, Lucas just started waaay too slow in the Judah fight...waaay too slow.

The Alexander bout clearly came down to a 1-point decision...in my eyes anyway. It's been about a year since I've seen it, so there may be some things that you saw, and I may have missed. I's rarely confident in my scorecards on fight night, mostly because of the jitters and being under the influence when I'm watching it. Lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 23 2014, 04:00 PM) *
Side note ....responding on this board from moblie is irritating as fuc....I wrote more but lost it trying to fix it ..I can't be the only one

As Bnoles4life told me years ago...

" nono.gif No Shelly, you must adapt and overcome"

Nahhhh....screw that...that shit is irritating as hell.

laugh.gif
AZWildCat
laugh.gif fuck adapt ill reform to gamboa answers from now on... I've wrote n lost to many lengthy responses.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 23 2014, 01:19 PM) *
Hank lundy is a funny guy. He has a little philly in him, dude has too much courage for his own good. Evertime he fights a slugger he has every chance to box the shit out of them but he gets suckered in and put in a bad place lol. Very entertaining fighter, still remember his loud ass training in the backround when ward was getting in a light workout in 50s gym

I think Hank could trouble Lucas. It all depends on which Lundy shows up
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 23 2014, 04:18 PM) *
laugh.gif fuck adapt ill reform to gamboa answers from now on... I've wrote n lost to many lengthy responses.

Gamboa answers?! LOL

Man, half of the time, during the day, I'm logged in as invisible while Im at work...just in case I have to step away from the computer for a minute. That way, I wont be in the middle of a post and have to abruptly get up and handle some simple shit that usually takes 20-30 mins around here.

Typing a post and losing is nowhere near as bad as being in the thick of it, and getting disrupted...only to come back and completely forget what you were typing. Lol. Story of my life around here...

To add to that, I've been dicking around all day at work, and haven't accomplished anything. LOL
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 23 2014, 04:51 PM) *
Gamboa answers?! LOL

Man, half of the time, during the day, I'm logged in as invisible while Im at work...just in case I have to step away from the computer for a minute. That way, I wont be in the middle of a post and have to abruptly get up and handle some simple shit that usually takes 20-30 mins around here.

Typing a post and losing is nowhere near as bad as being in the thick of it, and getting disrupted...only to come back and completely forget what you were typing. Lol. Story of my life around here...

To add to that, I've been dicking around all day at work, and haven't accomplished anything. LOL

#themilkyway

That's why nobody wants to hire us laugh.gif
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 23 2014, 12:05 PM) *

You really believe that Lundy can beat Lucas? nea.gif

He's not Danny and doesn't have a trainer/boxer combo that brings the best out of him like Angel does for Danny.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 23 2014, 05:19 PM) *
You really believe that Lundy can beat Lucas? nea.gif

He's not Danny and doesn't have a trainer/boxer combo that brings the best out of him like Angel does for Danny.

Of course I do, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't..I'm not Rick James, I don't do or say things just to say or do them

A focused Hank Lundy will give Matthysse trouble. Look at the fighters he's had trouble with. Judah beat him, that fight wasn't even close if it wasn't for the knockdown. He should've got the nod against Devon but Devon troubled him. Lamont was giving him trobule until he started banging with him. I'd favor Lamont in a rematch if he could do what he did for the 1st round and a half

Truth be told ain't no secret to beating Lucas, the recipe is out there. Stick to the script and don't deviate from it and he ain't winning. Hank isn't a 1 trick pony, he has some skills and if the Lundy that fought Ajose shows up I believe he beats Lucas
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 23 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Of course I do, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't..I'm not Rick James, I don't do or say things just to say or do them

A focused Hank Lundy will give Matthysse trouble. Look at the fighters he's had trouble with. Judah beat him, that fight wasn't even close if it wasn't for the knockdown. He should've got the nod against Devon but Devon troubled him. Lamont was giving him trobule until he started banging with him. I'd favor Lamont in a rematch if he could do what he did for the 1st round and a half

Truth be told ain't no secret to beating Lucas, the recipe is out there. Stick to the script and don't deviate from it and he ain't winning. Hank isn't a 1 trick pony, he has some skills and if the Lundy that fought Ajose shows up I believe he beats Lucas

Lundy and Mattyhsse would be a gut check fight for both fighters. It would be very interesting. I will take Hammering Hank in a SD
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 23 2014, 06:33 PM) *

Well I am glad that your not that type of person and it is amicable to stick with what you believe. Lucas has improved since his "losses" besides the Garcia one and the arguable Judah one. He uses his jab more (when he does use it), starts faster, goes to the body more, and uses head movement. Now I'm not saying he's a defensive maestro but there are areas in his game that he has applied to hone since his losses to Alexander and Judah.

I agree that Lundy will trouble Lucas with his quick punches and movement but I will reconsider if he can't take Matthysse's power. He's been down before by guys who dont hit not nearly as hard as Lucas. I was impressed with Hammerin Hank over his win of Ajose he showed he can box with a boxer if he doesn't let his guard down. The question is and he's done this even when he's focused, what will happen if he does that to Lucas? Good fight, hopefully they make it happen.
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 23 2014, 05:15 PM) *
#themilkyway

That's why nobody wants to hire us laugh.gif

LOL

Damn right! I'll be alright, I just need to tone down on my BS and actually get some work done. lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 23 2014, 06:32 PM) *
Lundy and Mattyhsse would be a gut check fight for both fighters. It would be very interesting. I will take Hammering Hank in a SD

Not saying it's easy but the game plan is out there to beat him. It's no secret he struggles with a certain type of fighter
mrchitown
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 23 2014, 06:55 PM) *
Well I am glad that your not that type of person and it is amicable to stick with what you believe. Lucas has improved since his "losses" besides the Garcia one and the arguable Judah one. He uses his jab more (when he does use it), starts faster, goes to the body more, and uses head movement. Now I'm not saying he's a defensive maestro but there are areas in his game that he has applied to hone since his losses to Alexander and Judah.

I agree that Lundy will trouble Lucas with his quick punches and movement but I will reconsider if he can't take Matthysse's power. He's been down before by guys who dont hit not nearly as hard as Lucas. I was impressed with Hammerin Hank over his win of Ajose he showed he can box with a boxer if he doesn't let his guard down. The question is and he's done this even when he's focused, what will happen if he does that to Lucas? Good fight, hopefully they make it happen.

One thing i like about Lucas, I don't know it you noticed it in the Lamont fight, is that he gets set quick. I mean you can turn him or move and he gets in position quickly to get his shots off. He's extraordinary like that

And what you said has been the story of Lundy's career. He doesnt appear to bring it on a fight by fight basis. A slip unlike that against a dude like Matthysse is asking for big trouble.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 23 2014, 08:55 PM) *
One thing i like about Lucas, I don't know it you noticed it in the Lamont fight, is that he gets set quick. I mean you can turn him or move and he gets in position quickly to get his shots off. He's extraordinary like that

And what you said has been the story of Lundy's career. He doesnt appear to bring it on a fight by fight basis. A slip unlike that against a dude like Matthysse is asking for big trouble.

Ahhh, you caught that better than I did. Lucas really is a extraordinary where he doesn't rely soley on all power. Guys like (the recent Donaire), Segura, Cloud, etc. Even in Lucas' losses he's still looked good or decent at most so it tells you he isn't on a garbagd or basic level. I like Lundy if he dictates the pace with nothing but pure movement and picking his shots carefully (something Danny did really well). Nonetheless like you said Lucas sets his feet quick to make sure he's in a good position to counter or get off his shots. I think Garcia and his Dad came up with a flawless gameplan for that (gut check him early, clinch when needed, combos and use philly textbook tactics...Hopkins way).
TheCritics
I liked him after both previous losses so he's still a good fighter in my book, I also didn't heap the ridiculous praise his way either... he can easily bounce back with a solid win and rule 140 once Garcia moves up
mrchitown
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 24 2014, 12:11 AM) *
Ahhh, you caught that better than I did. Lucas really is a extraordinary where he doesn't rely soley on all power. Guys like (the recent Donaire), Segura, Cloud, etc. Even in Lucas' losses he's still looked good or decent at most so it tells you he isn't on a garbagd or basic level. I like Lundy if he dictates the pace with nothing but pure movement and picking his shots carefully (something Danny did really well). Nonetheless like you said Lucas sets his feet quick to make sure he's in a good position to counter or get off his shots. I think Garcia and his Dad came up with a flawless gameplan for that (gut check him early, clinch when needed, combos and use philly textbook tactics...Hopkins way).

Matthysse will be fine. He didn't need the fly by night fans no way. Ad you said, the guy isn't a bad fighter and he hasn't been in a bad fight so he will come back and be fine. I'm interested more to see who he fights because he's said he wants to fight for a world title by the end of this year
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 28 2014, 05:45 PM) *
Matthysse will be fine. He didn't need the fly by night fans no way. Ad you said, the guy isn't a bad fighter and he hasn't been in a bad fight so he will come back and be fine. I'm interested more to see who he fights because he's said he wants to fight for a world title by the end of this year

The voice of reason. The year of the chi starting off strong

mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 28 2014, 06:06 PM) *
The voice of reason. The year of the chi starting off strong

laugh.gif trying to
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 28 2014, 01:45 PM) *

Maybe a rematch with Danny for his belt or maybe Peterson. Maidana would be my choice.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 29 2014, 11:24 AM) *
Maybe a rematch with Danny for his belt or maybe Peterson. Maidana would be my choice.

He ain't catching that Maidana train, not anytime soon....I know he, Maidana, bested him a couple o' times in the amateurs. Now, if both had a belt and fought down in 'Tina, that would be a different story.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 29 2014, 09:24 AM) *

A Lot of people hold on to the if his eye wouldn't have swelled theory he would've won or had more success and I think it's baloney. He better hold off on the rematch with Danny. I'd like to see him and Marcos tangle, that has legendary nights written all over it. Could be the next great trilogy
klonopinz
i wouldnt mind seign the lamont rematch
checkleft
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jan 29 2014, 07:45 PM) *
i wouldnt mind seign the lamont rematch

I just think lucas is completely wrong for lamont.
klonopinz
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 29 2014, 07:17 PM) *
I just think lucas is completely wrong for lamont.

from lamonts perspective im assuming? i think he defeated himself more than mathysse defeated him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.