Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Danny Garcia vs Lamont Peterson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Dolimite
Lamont fought a very smart fight last night. He gave Jean different looks. Lamont boxed when he had to but and was offensive we had to be on the offensive. He looked confident and even did a little show boating in the ring. Danny is of course the king of 140 at this time. This fight is a good one if the Lamont Peterson who showed up last night could possibly beat Danny. I will give the odds to Garcia right now just because he has beaten everyone that they have put in front of him. I wonder if Haymon and Co would put this fight as the Co main event on May 3rd.
MAHDI
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 26 2014, 09:35 AM) *
Lamont fought a very smart fight last night. He gave Jean different looks. Lamont boxed when he had to but and was offensive we had to be on the offensive. He looked confident and even did a little show boating in the ring. Danny is of course the king of 140 at this time. This fight is a good one if the Lamont Peterson who showed up last night could possibly beat Danny. I will give the odds to Garcia right now just because he has beaten everyone that they have put in front of him. I wonder if Haymon and Co would put this fight as the Co main event on May 3rd.

Good fight.. I think it is a pick em fight. Peterson is well rounded and has a good chin despite the Matthyse train wreck...Peterson also has defense-- Garcia would have his hands full
ryustuh
lamont leaves himself open a lot. maybe he can shake off a solid shot from jean, but i don't see the same happening against garcia. danny can def stand up and trade with lamont. don't think anything from peterson's end will really hurt or affect danny at all.
MAHDI
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Jan 26 2014, 09:49 AM) *
lamont leaves himself open a lot. maybe he can shake off a solid shot from jean, but i don't see the same happening against garcia. danny can def stand up and trade with lamont. don't think anything from peterson's end will really hurt or affect danny at all.

Peterson has some solid defense when he is focused --Judah Gave Garcia problems... I am confident Peterson can do more than Judah...
AZWildCat
Lamont's weakness is his inability to start early. But once he gets going he's trouble for anyone .
Marcus
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 26 2014, 11:58 AM) *
Lamont's weakness is his inability to start early. But once he gets going he's trouble for anyone .

Which what makes this fight interesting because Danny is a slow starter too.
klonopinz
i see danny taking a UD in a rough fight. lamont is durable and a great body attacker. i could see lamont coming forward right into dannys counter punching style though, getting caught and koed early again, but then again it could also go jsut like the bradley khan and jean fights, just tough long fights.
Jovi
Last night both my calls were off, i just got alittle too excited when the fight came and let emotions come through. Let me get logical

I believe Garcia gets this W. Garcia has the stronger left hook, and the stronger right hand which comes in varieties. Garcia throws leads of every kind of punch lead hooks, lead uppercuts, lead right hands. Vsing judah i remember him just shooting the lead right all day...

Lamont already learned not to hook with a hooker so if he tries it with Garcia like he did Matthysse he'll get caught, Jean was touching Lamont with his right hand consistently but he just didnt have no juice on it, If Jean was getting through with the right then i have no doubt that Garcia will too.

I see this fight going alot like Khan vs Garcia....Lamont probably puts the hands on Garcia at first and then gets alittle too comfortable, then BAMM Left hook to the neck and Lamont will be paralyzed and on the way out the rest of the fight .
mrchitown
I don't know about it being a Co main event. The fight don't excite me that much to give it that distinction but it would be one helluva fight, a 50/50 type of fight. Danny doesn't do anything overly impressive and Lamont has his faults as well. It would be a rough fight for both men
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 26 2014, 09:35 AM) *

Oh Lord, here you go with this Mayweather undercard stuff again, lol. I can't wait til Floyd announces his next opponent, so some of you guys can rest your little heads...it was worse than this before he announced the Cotto and Canelo fight. I had to add a question mark at the end of the topic description...just to force myself to not harass you about not having a source. laugh.gif

Anyhow, it a great scrap, and predicted them fighting last December at the latest, but the Matthysse loss by Peterson halted that. Peterson looked good last night...still a bit on the hardheaded side, but he still looked good. With that in mind, I don't see GBP being so quick to throw Lamont in there after just one comeback fight. NOW...had Danny sometime this month, then I would be able to agree with a possible May 3rd clash.

I'm not sure if they let Garcia sit out so long, just for a May 3rd fight with Peterson, when they easily market that fight at the Barclay's, the Mohegan Sun in CT, or hell, maybe even the theater at MSG. I honestly believe that THIS fight is more marketable than the Garcia/Matthysse fight...because Matthysse truly doesn't have a "home" (read: a solid city, state, or venue with fans) here in the States. Both Danny and Lucas were coming off of April and May bouts...so it wasn't hard to match them at the time.

Since it appears that Danny is gonna fight Herrera in Puerto Rico, I think GBP is leaning more towards expanding his fan base this year...maybe a Peterson fight will happen at the end of the year. I honestly believe that they'll end up meeting at WW instead...but I don't think GBP will pass up the opportunity to have an undisputed champ under their umbrella...let alone host an undisputed title fight while both of the fighters belong to them.
checkleft
This is a good fight. Lamont is better when he doesn't have to be on his back foot all night and against Garcia I see him coming forward in spots. As someone said yesterday when he hunches over and starts plodding the other guy is in trouble. Also its hard to see Garcia coming out like Lucas did full cylinders and going for the ko.

I think he is going to have a tougher fight then Lucas did simply because of styles.
checkleft
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 26 2014, 11:15 AM) *
Peterson has some solid defense when he is focused --Judah Gave Garcia problems... I am confident Peterson can do more than Judah...

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2014, 07:50 PM) *
Oh Lord, here you go with this Mayweather undercard stuff again, lol. I can't wait til Floyd announces his next opponent, so some of you guys can rest your little heads...it was worse than this before he announced the Cotto and Canelo fight. I had to add a question mark at the end of the topic description...just to force myself to not harass you about not having a source. laugh.gif

Anyhow, it a great scrap, and predicted them fighting last December at the latest, but the Matthysse loss by Peterson halted that. Peterson looked good last night...still a bit on the hardheaded side, but he still looked good. With that in mind, I don't see GBP being so quick to throw Lamont in there after just one comeback fight. NOW...had Danny sometime this month, then I would be able to agree with a possible May 3rd clash.

I'm not sure if they let Garcia sit out so long, just for a May 3rd fight with Peterson, when they easily market that fight at the Barclay's, the Mohegan Sun in CT, or hell, maybe even the theater at MSG. I honestly believe that THIS fight is more marketable than the Garcia/Matthysse fight...because Matthysse truly doesn't have a "home" (read: a solid city, state, or venue with fans) here in the States. Both Danny and Lucas were coming off of April and May bouts...so it wasn't hard to match them at the time.

Since it appears that Danny is gonna fight Herrera in Puerto Rico, I think GBP is leaning more towards expanding his fan base this year...maybe a Peterson fight will happen at the end of the year. I honestly believe that they'll end up meeting at WW instead...but I don't think GBP will pass up the opportunity to have an undisputed champ under their umbrella...let alone host an undisputed title fight while both of the fighters belong to them.

I was very happy with the scheduled fight in pr. He's a young star in the making and they seem to have the right idea in expanding his fan base, maybe put a few local kids on the undercard and have him learn a little spanish. Like I said they made a very good decision with that. I was actually surprised cause a lot of these young guys are not being promoted right.
Franchize
It'll be a fight of nothing but winging hooks lol Whoever's hook lands fastest will win lol
BoxingEinstein

Danny by UD in a bit of a scrappy fight. Lamont will give Garcia fits because of his style and make it his fight in some spots but Angel will slap the shit outta Danny if he sees him fighting the other guys fight like he did against Matthysse.

I think Garcia can outfight him at certain points and i think Lamont is a better inside fighter but i wonder how will Lamont deal with the left hook and clinches in the trenches. Good fight I'm sold on Garcia so I have no doubts he will win this fight.
The Original MrFactor
I think Danny Stops Peterson. Peterson is such a slow starter, that I think Danny beats him up in the early rounds and gets a stoppage late.

Wouldnt it shake up the division if Lamont stopped Danny though...
checkleft
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 27 2014, 01:51 AM) *
I think Danny Stops Peterson. Peterson is such a slow starter, that I think Danny beats him up in the early rounds and gets a stoppage late.

Wouldnt it shake up the division if Lamont stopped Danny though...

Danny is not the fastest starter either. And although Danny is very impressive he falls into that martinez moment where he falls asleep in fights sometimes. Like in the Judah fight and the first morales fight.
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 26 2014, 04:40 PM) *
I was very happy with the scheduled fight in pr. He's a young star in the making and they seem to have the right idea in expanding his fan base, maybe put a few local kids on the undercard and have him learn a little spanish. Like I said they made a very good decision with that. I was actually surprised cause a lot of these young guys are not being promoted right.

Danny doesn't speak Spanish, wow
TheCritics
another quality KO win for Garcia as he leaves 140 for greener pastures
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2014, 03:50 PM) *

Khan and FMJ ain't selling a million by itself. Broner and Marcos have their own date, and Danny has a scheduled fight but nothing in print. Who else is a viable undercard
match? Thurman could make an appearance but against who? Guerrero maybe in that line to get that ass beating but we shall see. Its about to be February and no opponent has been picked, they are going to need a strong undercard to sell this fight. Angel was at the fight I guess he was scouting and your boy Broner was there as well. The Jr. welterweight division is looking good.

How do you think a Thurman and Guerrero fight will be?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 26 2014, 05:12 PM) *
I don't know about it being a Co main event. The fight don't excite me that much to give it that distinction but it would be one helluva fight, a 50/50 type of fight. Danny doesn't do anything overly impressive and Lamont has his faults as well. It would be a rough fight for both men

BINGO, Chi!!!! This fight, IMO, is likely much closer than people think. I knew Matthysse was a bad match up for 'Mont, but Danny? Not hardly. This will be an excellent chess match, b/t the two. I can see Lamont bangin' this one out. That being said, I'm not stupid enough to pick against Danny again. Period.
mgrover
Peterson gets stopped.

Pointless fight for Garcia, does nothing for his stock as the best 140lber aside from an eas y belt he should of received from Lucas.
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jan 27 2014, 07:04 PM) *
BINGO, Chi!!!! This fight, IMO, is likely much closer than people think. I knew Matthysse was a bad match up for 'Mont, but Danny? Not hardly. This will be an excellent chess match, b/t the two. I can see Lamont bangin' this one out. That being said, I'm not stupid enough to pick against Danny again. Period.

Good post noles. You pretty much summed it up
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 27 2014, 10:18 AM) *
Danny doesn't speak Spanish, wow

You'd be surprised how many never learn. I know dozens of Mexicans that never learned

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 27 2014, 06:30 PM) *
Peterson gets stopped.

Pointless fight for Garcia, does nothing for his stock as the best 140lber aside from an eas y belt he should of received from Lucas.

who at 140 raises his stock that's not on top snake?

Lamont only has losses to Luke and Tim. And just beat an undefeated fighter ...how does he not do anything for him?
truth
This would be a good match up hard to say who wins i think it comes down to the last few rounds unless someone is knocked out first
mgrover
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 28 2014, 12:12 AM) *
You'd be surprised how many never learn. I know dozens of Mexicans that never learned

who at 140 raises his stock that's not on top snake?

Lamont only has losses to Luke and Tim. And just beat an undefeated fighter ...how does he not do anything for him?

Cause there is nothing left for him a 140.

Also I get people hate triangle theories but, Lucas KOs Peterson in 3, Garcia beats Lucas in a spirited yet obvious UD, I just don't think Peterson has the chin to stand up to big punchers, he's been dropped by Ortiz, and fair enough he made his way back, Khan, he was dropped by Khan, and we can guess how hard he punches, he was dropped by Bradley.

For some reason people don't take into account how hard Garcia really hits.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 28 2014, 01:50 AM) *

Also I get people hate triangle theories but, Lucas KOs Peterson in 3, Garcia beats Lucas in a spirited yet obvious UD, I just don't think Peterson has the chin to stand up to big punchers, he's been dropped by Ortiz, and fair enough he made his way back, Khan, he was dropped by Khan, and we can guess how hard he punches, he was dropped by Bradley.

Brother Naz has always spoke very highly of Danny... people are just catching up.
MAHDI
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 28 2014, 03:50 AM) *

judah is chinny and he held up-- Peterson is a live dog if they fight
mgrover
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 28 2014, 03:28 PM) *
judah is chinny and he held up-- Peterson is a live dog if they fight

I'll admit, but Judah was being super duper cautious to the point that he was too busy trying to block Garcias right hand variations, that he'd already lost too many rounds. I'll admit the knock down he was pretty off balance.

I just can't see Peterson doing anything for long, he'll make a mistake at one point midway through the fight and I can see him being dropped and finished. Although Khan did show that Garcias in fighting isn't amazing. When they were up close and personal slugging away Khan was having plenty of success countering Garcia before his legs gave out for the 20th time that fight.
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 28 2014, 02:28 PM) *
Brother Naz has always spoke very highly of Danny... people are just catching up.

I can still see him being beaten by the higher crop at 147lb. But I think he needs to call it a day at 140lb before he either comes in overweight one time, or does himself damage
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 28 2014, 04:18 PM) *
I can still see him being beaten by the higher crop at 147lb. But I think he needs to call it a day at 140lb before he either comes in overweight one time, or does himself damage

Imagine a Porter or Thurman match up!
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 29 2014, 01:02 AM) *
Imagine a Porter or Thurman match up!

Probably wouldn't be Thurman, am guessing he'd get an instant shot at a title, being the undisputed champ and what not. Porter? the kid that fought Julio Diaz to a draw, the same guy Khan beat?... Triangle theories and what not.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 29 2014, 12:57 AM) *
Probably wouldn't be Thurman, am guessing he'd get an instant shot at a title, being the undisputed champ and what not. Porter? the kid that fought Julio Diaz to a draw, the same guy Khan beat?... Triangle theories and what not.

Shawn Porter.
mgrover
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 29 2014, 02:02 PM) *
Shawn Porter.

I remember, Porter drew with Julio Diaz, the first time they fought and then Diaz fought vs Khan and lost.
Dolimite
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 29 2014, 07:27 AM) *
I remember, Porter drew with Julio Diaz, the first time they fought and then Diaz fought vs Khan and lost.

He rematched Diaz and won an UD. He fought Diaz, an experienced fighter, the first time, early in his career.
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jan 27 2014, 05:04 PM) *

Lamont can mix it up and if he comes forward and not in a straight line then he can do some great things in there. Its not like he's dumb. He has a very high ring IQ. Good power and avg hand speed. Danny and him would make for a great fight. We've seen what Judah was able to do when he took away the left hook, which is Danny's money punch. Yeah I know I better then to go against Danny. All he does is win but yet he's being treated like the Rodney Dangerfield of boxing, he gets no respect
klonopinz
both men do great bodywork, and lvoe to attack downstairs, i love body shots myself, i ould love to see these guys go at it. these guys are both very durable and fight hard all 12 rounds, i think danny has a better chin and can box better, he can alos fight going forward or on the back foot, and he can move if he needs to like with mathysse. i just see him getting the better of lamont in the exchanges and inning on points by UD.
Thickback
Definitely a toss up. Lamont has a more diverse arsenal than Danny but Danny has more pop and is a better counter puncher. This fight could easily be a FOTY type fight.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 29 2014, 03:57 AM) *
Probably wouldn't be Thurman, am guessing he'd get an instant shot at a title, being the undisputed champ and what not. Porter? the kid that fought Julio Diaz to a draw, the same guy Khan BARELY beat?... Triangle theories and what not.

Lol.. let me fix that for you

QUOTE (Thickback @ Jan 29 2014, 07:51 PM) *
Definitely a toss up. Lamont has a more diverse arsenal than Danny but Danny has more pop and is a better counter puncher. This fight could easily be a FOTY type fight.
it sure can be foty, both guys like to bang
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 30 2014, 12:21 AM) *
Lol.. let me fix that for you

it sure can be foty, both guys like to bang

You say barely I say aside from the KDs he did nothing, sure he wobbled Khan, but it's the result that matters in this instance. Am just saying you guys saw what Porter did to Alexander.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 29 2014, 08:25 PM) *
You say barely I say aside from the KDs he did nothing, sure he wobbled Khan, but it's the result that matters in this instance. Am just saying you guys saw what Porter did to Alexander.

I thought you were against the porter fight.. but I loved what I saw against Alexander, he had the perfect gameplan and executed.
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 30 2014, 06:22 AM) *
I thought you were against the porter fight.. but I loved what I saw against Alexander, he had the perfect gameplan and executed.

Exactly, so to pull out a draw against Diaz the first time must mean that Diaz isn't all that bad

Or maybe we all overrated Alexander heavily due to his Maidana win?
klonopinz
porter and thurman deserve eachother since maidana and khan are tied up with the brothers.
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 30 2014, 06:46 AM) *
Exactly, so to pull out a draw against Diaz the first time must mean that Diaz isn't all that bad

Or maybe we all overrated Alexander heavily due to his Maidana win?

Maybe diaz is good enough to be a gate keeper.
I've never been high on devon, did you miss that whole thread we had about him? Lol

I hated the fact that he (in my view) got a blatant gift against Lucas and may have gotten one against kotelnik then quit against Bradley on headbutts he was initiating.

Maidana would do a lot better in a rematch. He didn't really have a trainer for that fight and looked completely bloated at his welterweight debut

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.