Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: collazo vs thurman
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AZWildCat
With Luis collazo winning that pretty lil WBA strap he's put himself on alot of radars. They're alot of young guns out there looking for a title shot but collazo took it a step further and called out a big bad wolf. Just the fact that he called Thurman out speaks volumes about collazos brass. He earned alot of hardcore fans with this move and the fight is very likely to happen.

I would love to call an obvious Thurman KO but Luis don't really take knockout losses. I can see them trading haymakers till the cows come home
Dolimite
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 1 2014, 10:40 AM) *
With Luis collazo winning that pretty lil WBA strap he's put himself on alot of radars. They're alot of young guns out there looking for a title shot but collazo took it a step further and called out a big bad wolf. Just the fact that he called Thurman out speaks volumes about collazos brass. He earned alot of hardcore fans with this move and the fight is very likely to happen.

I would love to call an obvious Thurman KO but Luis don't really take knockout losses. I can see them trading haymakers till the cows come home

Thurman would box him. Thurman can go toe to toe but he will box him and wait for his openings. Thurman is becoming more patient in his fights, he has matured very well. I doubt if his corner allows him to fight a war, Thurman by a decision.
KOpower
Decent fight. I think Thurman chops him down for a TKO around the 8th or 9th round.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 02:05 PM) *
Thurman would box him. Thurman can go toe to toe but he will box him and wait for his openings. Thurman is becoming more patient in his fights, he has matured very well. I doubt if his corner allows him to fight a war, Thurman by a decision.

He's come along real well since his first showing on HBO. I think the zavek fight showcased his boxing ability the best. When he can't get the ko he don't force it or get frustrated. He just keeps setting up big shots and moving in and out of the pocket.
klonopinz
Keiththurman already has the wba interim title. collazo has the ba international title, whatver the fuck either of those means besides more money in wba pockets, we all know the real wba world champion is marcos maidana. we already want to see thurman maidana, so why not knock another paper belt out of the way and let collazo get some attention in another headliner. hopefully thurman wins, and can fight maidana after he beats broner again.
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 1 2014, 12:40 PM) *

I'm not sure how Collazo hangs in this one. I'm not sure what Ortiz and Collazo's fight night weights were, but Ortiz seemed to be the bigger guy. He put a lot of pressure on Collazo...it wasn't intelligent pressure, but it was pressure nonetheless...and he didn't look all that comfortable.

Keith is a big WW and he has the tendency to pounce on guys and let his hands go, mainly to the body. This may be one of those situations where the distance isn't negotiated properly on Collazo end, and we'll see Thurman hover over him. The second that we see Keith back out of the exchange, Collazo will be slowly flopping to the floor from a body shot.

On the other hand, Collazo has been in there with some bangers (not as agile as Thurma), and he can give anybody shit in there...including Thurman. Since Thurman fights 2-3 times a year, I wouldn't mind seeing this one.
mrchitown
Collazo's cinderella man like come back will end in KO in the middle rounds at the hands of Thurman
Jovi
Best fight right now for both fighters. Collazo gave Berto a good fight and just KOed Ortiz, he deserves a big fight, idk about Mayweather but him calling out Keith Thurman was a great and ORIGINAL move, i havent met someone either that brave or dumb. Collazo has my respect though.

I'm going with Keith for the win in great fight, either both will trade knockdowns or Keith with the KO
ryustuh
one time would outbox him. keith lands some really solid body shots, which would pay dividends in a fight like this. i can see him stopping collazo early even tho luis is tough as nails.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 1 2014, 08:39 PM) *
Best fight right now for both fighters. Collazo gave Berto a good fight and just KOed Ortiz, he deserves a big fight, idk about Mayweather but him calling out Keith Thurman was a great and ORIGINAL move, i havent met someone either that brave or dumb. Collazo has my respect though.

I'm going with Keith for the win in great fight, either both will trade knockdowns or Keith with the KO

I remember watching the Berto fight. I felt collazo could of got the nod. Wouldn't mind that rematch. Just not before Luis gets a payday or another chance at glory.
Cshel86
Yall know how I get after I "read around" the internet, right?

Sooo...I'm trying to figure this out, help me here.

Guys were quick to say that Ortiz is a bum, a quitter, and isn't fit for the sport, BUT, as soon as Collazo KOs him, SUDDENLY Collazo's being mentioned in the WW mix as a guy who deserves these big fights.

Hmm...let's rewind this for a second. So, if Ortiz is a such a bum and a quitter, then just how much credit should Collazo even receive for his win, regardless of how he won? How good or worthy does that make Collazo look, by knocking out Ortiz?

This sort of reminds me of the Froch/Bute fight. Ward pretty much whitewashed Froch months before the Bute fight, and guys had already written Froch off. THEN, as soon as he manhandles Bute, he's suddenly the man.

To add to that, guys were talking about how much of a bum Bute really was and how protected he was, but after Froch beat him, Froch was suddenly back on the saddle, with much promise.

I guess I'm not talking about anything new here...help me out.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 1 2014, 11:40 AM) *

I think Collazo is going to far with his calling out of Floyd and everyone else, he beat Vic Ortiz who crumbles in his best and top fights and has no chin whatsoever. Thurman will put Collazo to sleep.
Jovi
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 2 2014, 02:44 PM) *

Guys were quick to say that Ortiz is a bum, a quitter, and isn't fit for the sport, BUT, as soon as Collazo KOs him, SUDDENLY Collazo's being mentioned in the WW mix as a guy who deserves these big fights.

Hmm...let's rewind this for a second. So, if Ortiz is a such a bum and a quitter, then just how much credit should Collazo even receive for his win, regardless of how he won? How good or worthy does that make Collazo look, by knocking out Ortiz?

This sort of reminds me of the Froch/Bute fight. Ward pretty much whitewashed Froch months before the Bute fight, and guys had already written Froch off. THEN, as soon as he manhandles Bute, he's suddenly the man.

To add to that, guys were talking about how much of a bum Bute really was and how protected he was, but after Froch beat him, Froch was suddenly back on the saddle, with much promise.

I think its BECAUSE of people's dislike for Ortiz that Collazo is getting his shine... Like Froch with Bute... Like Maidana with Broner... Like Shane Mosely getting Mayweather to Wobble.... Like the Pacquiao, Marquez, and Bradley triangle.

If someone you don't know or care about KO's someone you dislike, all that negativity probably turns into positivity for the other person.

Collazo just came to the right place, at the right time, fought the right person and said the right things to get a bigger fight now.

As long as Thurman gets put in there with real competition and STILL performs as does, Ill always be excitied
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 2 2014, 03:44 PM) *

we knew ortiz was a quitter since the maidana fight and halfway redeemed himself in the berto fight(which later proved to not mean shit)
he got lucky and got the lotto ticket..and again folded
tried to bounce back against a smaller fighter that was game as all get out....and yet again folded
took a long break came back against a decent journeymen fighter and ...got folded

case n point

collazo aint do anything speacial ..but ortiz was yet again being set up for a bigger fight (piece of WBA belt) and by collazo winning by ko fresh in fans minds including a rocky type come back story he should at least be able to smell some pie. does he deserve floyd, **** no but mr thurman does seem to have a hard time getting top names and titles holders in the ring from 147 to 154. enter collazo ... at least throw his name in the mix for a top prospect..hes stayed afloat long enough to at least get that chance.

froch on the other hand ....bute had mixed reviews about him some people felt he was the next big thing others like you said padded career... but the froch fight was supposed to let us know what was going on..had bute have won the way froch did he would have been concidered a beast and ward was avoiding for a reason/running blah blah blah. froch is who he is a dangerous contender whose ego proceeds him.
MAHDI
Calling out Floyd is over the top but hey it seems No body gives Collazo credit.. The dude placed a perfect shot on a world class fighter. Let us not act like Collazo did not beat hatton and Burto (he almost knocked berto through the ropes).. These are two guys tougher than anyone Thurman has yet to face. I am not sold on giving this to Thurman. Collazo is a crafty and gutsy. he also can be slick and evasive. This win will be great for his psyche. This is a pick em fight. Collazo would be the stiffest challenge for Thurman who gets wide often.. he make up for it with athleticism and power, but oh yeah he leaves countering opportunities...
The Original MrFactor
If this is the same pillow fisted Luis Collazo that should have gotten the nod vs Hatton, then Thurman beats the breaks off that dude. Collazo is technically sound. He can box, he doesn't have the artillery to brawl. Thurman will break him down and stop him.

If this fight doesn't come off... PAULIE!!! You out there. Luis Collazo, another guy from NYC is making some noise at 147. I can easily see Collazo and Paulie getting it on. Would be an interesting fight and surely it will not end in a KO...
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 2 2014, 03:29 PM) *
I think its BECAUSE of people's dislike for Ortiz that Collazo is getting his shine... Like Froch with Bute... Like Maidana with Broner... Like Shane Mosely getting Mayweather to Wobble.... Like the Pacquiao, Marquez, and Bradley triangle.

If someone you don't know or care about KO's someone you dislike, all that negativity probably turns into positivity for the other person.

Collazo just came to the right place, at the right time, fought the right person and said the right things to get a bigger fight now.

As long as Thurman gets put in there with real competition and STILL performs as does, Ill always be excitied

Sorry, but "dislike" does nothing more than get in the way of facts. Fact is, Ortiz lost his last fights by TKO, and he had been out of the ring for 18 months...facts. Sorry again, but I'm not into the disliking somebody and relishing in the fact that some unknown person knocked them out...if that's the case, then I'd at least try my hand at it first, rather than waiting on somebody else to do it.

If anything, I don't believe that people dislike Ortiz, at best, they just don't know how to feel about him before he goes into a fight. Yeah yeah yeah, people call him a quitter and so on, but the fact is, they're still sitting there waiting to see what he does.

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 2 2014, 04:54 PM) *
we knew ortiz was a quitter since the maidana fight and halfway redeemed himself in the berto fight(which later proved to not mean shit)
tried to bounce back against a smaller fighter that was game as all get out....and yet again folded
took a long break came back against a decent journeymen fighter and ...got folded

case n point

collazo aint do anything speacial ..but ortiz was yet again being set up for a bigger fight (piece of WBA belt) and by collazo winning by ko fresh in fans minds including a rocky type come back story he should at least be able to smell some pie. does he deserve floyd, **** no but mr thurman does seem to have a hard time getting top names and titles holders in the ring from 147 to 154. enter collazo ... at least throw his name in the mix for a top prospect..hes stayed afloat long enough to at least get that chance.

froch on the other hand ....bute had mixed reviews about him some people felt he was the next big thing others like you said padded career... but the froch fight was supposed to let us know what was going on..had bute have won the way froch did he would have been concidered a beast and ward was avoiding for a reason/running blah blah blah. froch is who he is a dangerous contender whose ego proceeds him.

First off...LMAO at your avi!!! Isn't that from Black Dynamite???

Anyway, you're right Collazo didn't do anything special, and yes, Ortiz was being set up to get back in the race. As far as I'm concerned, all of these guys at WW, are on the same path...as far as opponents are concerned.

More than likely, they put together a Thurman/Collazo fight, and have a Porter/Alexander rematch in March...who knows.
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 2 2014, 03:54 PM) *

case n point

Nice avi, I'm down with a little kung fu treachery myself lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 11:21 AM) *
Sorry, but "dislike" does nothing more than get in the way of facts. Fact is, Ortiz lost his last fights by TKO, and he had been out of the ring for 18 months...facts. Sorry again, but I'm not into the disliking somebody and relishing in the fact that some unknown person knocked them out...if that's the case, then I'd at least try my hand at it first, rather than waiting on somebody else to do it.

If anything, I don't believe that people dislike Ortiz, at best, they just don't know how to feel about him before he goes into a fight. Yeah yeah yeah, people call him a quitter and so on, but the fact is, they're still sitting there waiting to see what he does.

Anyway, you're right Collazo didn't do anything special, and yes, Ortiz was being set up to get back in the race. As far as I'm concerned, all of these guys at WW, are on the same path...as far as opponents are concerned.

More than likely, they put together a Thurman/Collazo fight, and have a Porter/Alexander rematch in March...who knows.

Your on a roll today
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 01:21 PM) *

cant sneak nothing buy you shells laugh.gif i didnt think it would show that small... should have been bigger

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 3 2014, 01:40 PM) *

LMAO aint we all
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 01:21 PM) *

cant sneak nothing buy you shells laugh.gif i didnt think it would show that small... should have been bigger

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 3 2014, 01:40 PM) *

LMAO aint we all
checkleft
One thing I've learned is... You never sleep on collazo or molina. He will give Thurman problems, he is a crafty vet and knows how to box. And let's not act as if Thurman didn't just almost get ktfo in the first round of the karass fight, his chin is as suspects as anyones.

I like the match up, I think Lou gives him some good work but Thurman eventually stops him or gets the nod.
MAHDI
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 3 2014, 02:38 PM) *
One thing I've learned is... You never sleep on collazo or molina. He will give Thurman problems, he is a crafty vet and knows how to box. And let's not act as if Thurman didn't just almost get ktfo in the first round of the karass fight, his chin is as suspects as anyones.

I like the match up, I think Lou gives him some good work but Thurman eventually stops him or gets the nod.

Good call on his chin and Thurman gets wide and leaves countering opportunities
AZWildCat

Quack...it just dont stop!
checkleft
Dudes calling everyone out lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 11:56 AM) *

Quack...it just dont stop!

How he got it in his head that he deserves a fight with Mayweather over even a Keith Thurman is preposterous
AZWildCat
Y'all read that wrong he said the Thurman fights not worth it....how you beat Ortiz and get. Picky bouts your next fight like you just beat a reigning champ....mind boggling
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 08:37 PM) *
Y'all read that wrong he said the Thurman fights not worth it....how you beat Ortiz and get. Picky bouts your next fight like you just beat a reigning champ....mind boggling

Nah, I caught what he was saying but how is a Thurman fight not worth it? Dudes losing it now
MAHDI
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 5 2014, 10:24 PM) *
Nah, I caught what he was saying but how is a Thurman fight not worth it? Dudes losing it now

Not worth the war and the money will be chump change...Collazo has fought better opposition than Thurman and unlike most I was impressed with his win over Ortiz. I think Collazao is bugging out calling for Floyd, but a fight with Thurman brings no money. I would like to see Collazo vs Malignaggi .... I bet Collazo fucks his shit up and force him to being a full time commentator...
mrchitown
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Feb 9 2014, 07:58 AM) *
Not worth the war and the money will be chump change...Collazo has fought better opposition than Thurman and unlike most I was impressed with his win over Ortiz. I think Collazao is bugging out calling for Floyd, but a fight with Thurman brings no money. I would like to see Collazo vs Malignaggi .... I bet Collazo fucks his shit up and force him to being a full time commentator...

I don't know, him and Paulie would be a good fight but I think at this point in both careers, Paulie is the better fighter.

He has nothing to gain from beating Malinaggi but everything to gain from beating Thurman...Keith is on the rise while Paulie is making one last run. Besides Malinaggi said they wouldn't fight more then likely
MAHDI
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 9 2014, 04:11 PM) *
I don't know, him and Paulie would be a good fight but I think at this point in both careers, Paulie is the better fighter.

He has nothing to gain from beating Malinaggi but everything to gain from beating Thurman...Keith is on the rise while Paulie is making one last run. Besides Malinaggi said they wouldn't fight more then likely

After being buzzed by Soto Karass.. Thurman was on his bike big time.. chin questionable, but seems sturdy enough... hey he got the stoppage though. But he can be hit and hurt. His power is impressive and was on display against Soto Karras, yet Soto karas is not defensive at all. Thurman keeps his hands lows, winds up big with the right, and leaves wholes yet he makes up for it with athleticism and power. He has not faced a tight technician yet... Collazo is a damned good fighter in my view and cannot be slept on by anyone. I don't see Thurman having an east time at all with him if they ever meet.
checkleft
Thurman brook, collazo brook, and Thurman collazo would all be good scraps... For some reason I get a snoozer vibe from hearing paulie collazo. Neither really has enough pop to shock the other and their styles could make for a very sloppy looking fight.
mrchitown
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Feb 14 2014, 08:17 PM) *
After being buzzed by Soto Karass.. Thurman was on his bike big time.. chin questionable, but seems sturdy enough... hey he got the stoppage though. But he can be hit and hurt. His power is impressive and was on display against Soto Karras, yet Soto karas is not defensive at all. Thurman keeps his hands lows, winds up big with the right, and leaves wholes yet he makes up for it with athleticism and power. He has not faced a tight technician yet... Collazo is a damned good fighter in my view and cannot be slept on by anyone. I don't see Thurman having an east time at all with him if they ever meet.

I see Thurman beating him, either by ko or by brutal decision. Collazo has always been game but I don't see how he can hold off Thurman from tearing into him after about 4 or 5rds. Maidana backed out of a fight with Thurman and he's 10x better then Collazo, that's saying something. If they fought that would be a career ender for Luis
MAHDI
Collazo has not taken that much punishment and has been in rugged with Berto, Hatton, Mosley... He beat both Berto and Hatton but was not given the nods... If Collazo can go 12 with Mosley then he can hang in there with Thurman. Collazo also will not just come face first like Thurman's last opponent. Thurman looks like a Juggernaut but Soto karas is a face fighter.. one dimensional. I am not sold on Thurman while admitting he is good, but I am not so quick to say he is a career ender. He is very hittable. Soto Karas was the best he has faced yet yet in his career and he was in trouble early...Maidana 10 times better than Collazo??? I will wait to see how Collazo moves forward and looks in his next bout.
mrchitown
QUOTE (MAHDI @ Feb 17 2014, 12:28 AM) *
Collazo has not taken that much punishment and has been in rugged with Berto, Hatton, Mosley... He beat both Berto and Hatton but was not given the nods... If Collazo can go 12 with Mosley then he can hang in there with Thurman. Collazo also will not just come face first like Thurman's last opponent. Thurman looks like a Juggernaut but Soto karas is a face fighter.. one dimensional. I am not sold on Thurman while admitting he is good, but I am not so quick to say he is a career ender. He is very hittable. Soto Karas was the best he has faced yet yet in his career and he was in trouble early...Maidana 10 times better than Collazo??? I will wait to see how Collazo moves forward and looks in his next bout.

Yes Marcos is 10x better then Luis, if those two were to fight it would be a clear win for Marcos. I think he best Berto but he had trouble in that fight and though Collazo isn't a face first fighter his defense isn't nothing to write home about. Thurman is a more all around fighter. I don't believe Collazo could stand up to that. Truthfully the only time Keith is very hittable is when he's throwing those wide shots trying to mix it up but when he boxes those windows close. Can't say the sme.dor Luis. But this fight won't happen because like Marcos, Collazo don't want it. I wonder why lol
MAHDI
Collazo just Kod Ortiz and is trying to get him a better fight that would bring more money. Thurman does get wide... often, yet he does have good all around skill. Just not sold on him being the killer he is being made out to be. He has good power, but not "one time" power. he gets wide against a guy who can land the right shot an he could be in serious trouble. I am interested to see where both these guys go. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Collazo is a world beater, but he is good fighter..experienced. Not an easy out -- Ortiz learned that...
Jack 1000
Keith takes a convincing UD in 12 rounds over Collazo to unify the lesser belts. 116-112 and 117-111 (twice.) I think he could beat the legitimate world champion, Marcus Maidana, but I would like to see Maidana get one more solid win before I could make the prediction stick.

Jack
MAHDI
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 17 2014, 05:17 PM) *
Keith takes a convincing UD in 12 rounds over Collazo to unify the lesser belts. 116-112 and 117-111 (twice.) I think he could beat the legitimate world champion, Marcus Maidana, but I would like to see Maidana get one more solid win before I could make the prediction stick.

Jack

I can see your view in a Collazo vs Thurman match. I think Collazo has the beard to go 12 with him in there...Maidana and Thurman would be a good match up. I would be able to see if Maidana can make Thurman pay when he gets wide with his shots and if Thurman can take some consistent power shots. He has good movement, but his movement did not stop his last opponent from landing significant power shots. Maidana has a good beard. Broner buzzed him late, but I think that was more due to fatigue from teeing off on Broner's head and body all night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.