Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mares...Mares...Mares!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Dolimite
http://www.boxingscene.com/mares-gonzalez-...ions-now--74249

Well someone had to get the first Punk Out of the year nomination.

Fucking Mares, how legit do you think his injury was? Did anyone see any pictures? Well at least we know one fighter that will be on the May undercard.
KOpower
I really hope Mares vs some average fighter isn't the top fight on the Mayweather undercard. That would be really disappointing.
AZWildCat
No evidence no injury ...but he is innocent till proven ...fucc that rich bout to cook em up a fight that's easy and raises his stock even higher ..Johnny gonna get the tough fights
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 01:00 PM) *

Fucking Mares, how legit do you think his injury was? Did anyone see any pictures? Well at least we know one fighter that will be on the May undercard.

Cant just talk about a fighter, without mentioning Floyd, huh?

Sad thing is, you're probably right. Who knows, they may throw Mares in there with Jayson Velez in May, for a featherweight bout.
Jovi
Shotime LOVES Mares, i really don't understand it but they sweat that dude. If he is on the the undercard for any reason i hope its not because he's expected to win, put him in there with someone like Santa Cruz or Russel jr. Make the fight a competitive one, but more of a coming out party for a new fighter.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 1 2014, 01:10 PM) *

Sad thing is, you're probably right. Who knows, they may throw Mares in there with Jayson Velez in May, for a featherweight bout.

You didn't read the link did you? If you READ the link that's what the report stated as well as Mares. It wasn't my doing.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 1 2014, 04:10 PM) *

Sad thing is, you're probably right. Who knows, they may throw Mares in there withJayson Velez in May, for a featherweight bout.

That don't sound bad at all.
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 02:00 PM) *

This fights been off for a while..? Lol come on guys

He said he got hurt and yhonny said he didn't want to waste camp so he was gonna take a stay busy fight in mex until mares and him could set up another date.
mrchitown
Oh well, I just want to see GRJ get his title shot, Jhonny need to stop with the games and take his future ass whooping like a man
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 1 2014, 05:16 PM) *
Oh well, I just want to see GRJ get his title shot, Jhonny need to stop with the games and take his future ass whooping like a man

So we love GRJ again... lol. the kid has talent,
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 08:27 PM) *
So we love GRJ again... lol. the kid has talent,

I always loved him but I hated the opposition, but he's been calling for a title shot since last year and their ignoring him. he's been trying to step up the comp but it's fallen on deaf ears
Gambit808
For some reason I can see Mares becoming the next Ortiz.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 1 2014, 11:39 PM) *
I always loved him but I hated the opposition, but he's been calling for a title shot since last year and their ignoring him. he's been trying to step up the comp but it's fallen on deaf ears

THIS. It's no accident, he hasn't gotten a shot....it's the fault of both his team (Haymon & Co.) & top fighters.
Plah
I always hated Mares since the first Agbeko fight. Fuck him lol
BrutUalBK
Personally I don't believe there's an injury, he knows that Johnny has his number and will KO him again. I've heard over and over how sparring means little but I beg to differ; when you spar with someone you learn things that they do/habits (good or bad) that they have and you can capitalize on them if they haven't done anything to work to change them. In the case between these two, they've had many sparring sessions together and even then Gonzalez was getting the best of him everytime they went at it, so it was quite surprising to me that they called Johnny out for the first match but I guess they had assumed he was past his better days but then found out the hard way.

I believe Mares now understands that he'd fare no better in a rematch and more than likely would be put to sleep in a more devastating fashion because he'd be facing the Champ and a man who is even more confident in his abilities vs him.

Flat out and straight up Mares punked out.
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 2 2014, 11:57 AM) *
THIS. It's no accident, he hasn't gotten a shot....it's the fault of both his team (Haymon & Co.) & top fighters.

At least he's trying now to land the title fights
mrchitown
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2014, 02:04 PM) *
Personally I don't believe there's an injury, he knows that Johnny has his number and will KO him again. I've heard over and over how sparring means little but I beg to differ; when you spar with someone you learn things that they do/habits (good or bad) that they have and you can capitalize on them if they haven't done anything to work to change them. In the case between these two, they've had many sparring sessions together and even then Gonzalez was getting the best of him everytime they went at it, so it was quite surprising to me that they called Johnny out for the first match but I guess they had assumed he was past his better days but then found out the hard way.

I believe Mares now understands that he'd fare no better in a rematch and more than likely would be put to sleep in a more devastating fashion because he'd be facing the Champ and a man who is even more confident in his abilities vs him.

Flat out and straight up Mares punked out.

Ali used to spare Holmes and he used to whip on him and some other future heavies something serious. Many remember the fight between the 2 but I doubt many would pick a prime Holmes over a prime Ali. Mayweather got worked by Spadafora and Lamont Peterson. They aint working him over in no fight. I think Jhonny's situation was a case of good game planning and just a little bit of their sparring sessions.

Sparring against a future opponent don't mean shit really because whose to say they're the same fighter as when you sparred them or the mistakes they made when sparring you are still there? Mares isn't hard to find, he comes straight at you. You don't have to reflect back on sparring for that. I'm one of the ones who don't believe it holds weight
TheCritics
damn, the same people who claim Russell is scared of comp are oblivious to him wanting Gonzalez and being denied... smh
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 2 2014, 02:19 PM) *
Ali used to spare Holmes and he used to whip on him and some other future heavies something serious. Many remember the fight between the 2 but I doubt many would pick a prime Holmes over a prime Ali. Mayweather got worked by Spadafora and Lamont Peterson. They aint working him over in no fight. I think Jhonny's situation was a case of good game planning and just a little bit of their sparring sessions.

Sparring against a future opponent don't mean shit really because whose to say they're the same fighter as when you sparred them or the mistakes they made when sparring you are still there? Mares isn't hard to find, he comes straight at you. You don't have to reflect back on sparring for that. I'm one of the ones who don't believe it holds weight

I'm not a proponent who says that what happens in sparring will dictate what happens in the ring but I do believe that once a fighter spars with any fighter that if there was a certain type of fear there before they ever were to lace them up in an official fight that it would be diminished in sparring.

Let's look at this hypothetically; if Spinks had sparred with Tyson prior to his fateful night vs Mike, I don't think he would've been fearful or as fearful of him when they met. There is no way that anyone can tell me that Spinks' demeanor in that fight and his particular way of fighting that night wasn't out of fear, he did everything except sh@t himself before Mike put him to sleep.

Sparring doesn't tell the tale of what happens in the ring but I think it does play a part on the psychology of fighters in the ring.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2014, 04:02 PM) *
I'm not a proponent who says that what happens in sparring will dictate what happens in the ring but I do believe that once a fighter spars with any fighter that if there was a certain type of fear there before they ever were to lace them up in an official fight that it would be diminished in sparring.

Let's look at this hypothetically; if Spinks had sparred with Tyson prior to his fateful night vs Mike, I don't think he would've been fearful or as fearful of him when they met. There is no way that anyone can tell me that Spinks' demeanor in that fight and his particular way of fighting that night wasn't out of fear, he did everything except sh@t himself before Mike put him to sleep.

Sparring doesn't tell the tale of what happens in the ring but I think it does play a part on the psychology of fighters in the ring.

Oh Spinks lol, he will never live down that fight, ever! And he shouldn't.

I think that sparring has a negative effect when the two getting in the ring when it actually counts because most of the time it actually looks like a paid sparring session. I can't say fear is a factor because everyone who gets in the ring is in fear. They may not say it on camera or on the record but all fighters are fearful. Some just show it more then others. Tyson admits he was scared shit less when he fought. You either turn the fear into a weapon or it consumes you

He sparred Holyfield many times before and he did the same against Lennox I believe, he didn't approach the fight with any preconceived notions other than his usual. Some trainers share your belief about sparring though, i happen to be one of those that don't. If you can't do it when it counts it's null and void and usually that's what we see happen...in Abner's case he came straight at him, like a bull, just straight ahead. he didn't have to spar him to get that KO. I do have doubts now that Mares can beat him again now though
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 05:26 PM) *
You didn't read the link did you? If you READ the link that's what the report stated as well as Mares. It wasn't my doing.

You know that n*ggas don't read

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 1 2014, 05:57 PM) *
That don't sound bad at all.

Velez was in talks, around the time of the Gonzalez/Ponce fight, as well as the Mares/Morel fight...if I'm not mistaken, Velez holds a full title at featherweight.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 09:06 AM) *

Velez was in talks, around the time of the Gonzalez/Ponce fight, as well as the Mares/Morel fight...if I'm not mistaken, Velez holds a full title at featherweight.

LOL@ N*ggas don't read! Nice.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 12:06 PM) *

WBC silver
Dolimite
Some of you are giving Abner a pass. I don't think he wanted any part of Jhonny, smart move.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 5 2014, 01:42 PM) *
Some of you are giving Abner a pass. I don't think he wanted any part of Jhonny, smart move.

I wouldn't say a pass but sometimes those freak injuries do happen. I can understand Johnny not wanting to wait for him when he could be fighting and feeding his family. But if mares has a set opponent before Johnny does and goes ahead wit the change up then ya....Abby tucking it in..
mrchitown
Well Jhonny seems to smell BS coming from Mares

http://www.boxingscene.com/jhonny-gonzalez...fraid-me--74419

He says he believes Abner is afraid of him
AZWildCat
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 7 2014, 12:49 AM) *

All that tough Guy talk....I don't know who's mares or gurerro
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 6 2014, 09:49 PM) *

I concur. I don't think he is afraid but he ain't trying to take any risk. That Rigondeaux fight maybe available for him in the future, why have 2 L's instead of one?
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 6 2014, 11:02 PM) *
All that tough Guy talk....I don't know who's mares or gurerro

Yeah I got to agree with you on this one
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 7 2014, 07:54 AM) *
I concur. I don't think he is afraid but he ain't trying to take any risk. That Rigondeaux fight maybe available for him in the future, why have 2 L's instead of one?

I'm hoping Mares don't have a fight lined up before Gonzalez or he's going to catch some serious heat....it wouldn't be a good look for someone who has a reputation like Mares has for being willing to fight anyone at anytime
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 7 2014, 07:21 AM) *
I'm hoping Mares don't have a fight lined up before Gonzalez or he's going to catch some serious heat....it wouldn't be a good look for someone who has a reputation like Mares has for being willing to fight anyone at anytime

GB is already putting him on the May 3rd card, so yeah, someone has to back this up. Again, Mares has a great personality but man, people are giving him a pass on this. If this was on Broner or anyone else casuals and fans do not like, they would be catching hell. Just look how fans acted when Juan said no to a 5th with Pac, fucking disgusting.
AZWildCat
If broner never asked for a rematch he would have been castrated by everyone and called every name in the book
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 7 2014, 07:26 PM) *
If broner never asked for a rematch he would have been castrated by everyone and called every name in the book

Gotta disagree with this one. NOBODY (read: boxing fans) was crying for Broner to ask for a rematch...not much foul play took place. That's not even the point though...people were satisfied with watching Broner get his ass handed to him...no way they'd want Maidana to chance it in a rematch. Lol
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 7 2014, 09:45 AM) *
GB is already putting him on the May 3rd card, so yeah, someone has to back this up. Again, Mares has a great personality but man, people are giving him a pass on this. If this was on Broner or anyone else casuals and fans do not like, they would be catching hell. Just look how fans acted when Juan said no to a 5th with Pac, fucking disgusting.

It's too much hypocrisy that's it. I guess everyone is a hypocrite about something...but for Broner I remember reading oh he's scared no way he'll go for the rematch, and others saying he needs to rematch him again etc etc then when he exercised the rematch clause it became....why is he doing this, blah blah blah,...no one wants to see it again. the same people who made statements like he should rematch him and he scared are on the other side of the fence now

Mares played himself with this move. He should've waited ril Jhonny got an opponent at least. Yeah its looking bad right now for him
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 7 2014, 07:37 PM) *
Gotta disagree with this one. NOBODY (read: boxing fans) was crying for Broner to ask for a rematch...not much foul play took place. That's not even the point though...people were satisfied with watching Broner get his ass handed to him...no way they'd want Maidana to chance it in a rematch. Lol

laugh.gif when you put it that way
checkleft
Idk if he is ducking him. From what I know he got hurt yhonny didn't want to waste a camp so he wants to take a fight and maybe mares doesn't want to stay inactive until yhonny finishes the fight takes his rest then finishes camp again. For me, ill give the benefit of the doubt to mares because he has always fought everyone. He even gave the rematch to agbeko, said he would gladly fight rigo waaaay before "the cold war" and before nonito even acknowledged he existed.

So for know... He gets a pass from me.. for now
AZWildCat
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 8 2014, 01:01 AM) *
Idk if he is ducking him. From what I know he got hurt yhonny didn't want to waste a camp so he wants to take a fight and maybe mares doesn't want to stay inactive until yhonny finishes the fight takes his rest then finishes camp again. For me, ill give the benefit of the doubt to mares because he has always fought everyone. He even gave the rematch to agbeko, said he would gladly fight rigo waaaay before "the cold war" and before nonito even acknowledged he existed.

So for know... He gets a pass from me.. for now

Abecko didn't "shock his boots"
Rigo spanked him in the amateurs that's why he wants that so bad.
When exactly did the "cold war" start?

Coulda sworn its been since the beginning of GBP....but I've been known to be wrong at times
checkleft
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 8 2014, 12:38 AM) *
Abecko didn't "shock his boots"
Rigo spanked him in the amateurs that's why he wants that so bad.
When exactly did the "cold war" start?

Coulda sworn its been since the beginning of GBP....but I've been known to be wrong at times

Have you been into boxing long?? "Cold war" has not been around very long. Mosley-marg, Mosley-cotto, odl-manny (sort of). That's just the main ones I could name. Jw
This recently got heated with basically the fact that Hbo hired showtimes guy and I think showtime hires hbos guy. And also Hbo seemed pretty butthurt that Floyd left and pretty much put it on gbp. It's not just about TR and gbp. But they have a lot of beef to but they have worked together before

It doesn't matter whether rigo beat him in the ams. He wanted that fight, he was in the bantam tourney, and he hasnt ducked anyone so far. I'm simply giving him the benefit of the doubt. He said the rematch will eventually happen just not now
AZWildCat
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 8 2014, 01:58 AM) *
Have you been into boxing long?? "Cold war" has not been around very long. Mosley-marg, Mosley-cotto, odl-manny (sort of). That's just the main ones I could name. Jw
This recently got heated with basically the fact that Hbo hired showtimes guy and I think showtime hires hbos guy. And also Hbo seemed pretty butthurt that Floyd left and pretty much put it on gbp. It's not just about TR and gbp. But they have a lot of beef to but they have worked together before

It doesn't matter whether rigo beat him in the ams. He wanted that fight, he was in the bantam tourney, and he hasnt ducked anyone so far. I'm simply giving him the benefit of the doubt. He said the rematch will eventually happen just not now

Keeping aware of who all theses kats have been signed to was not a priority if mine. I know floyd had to leave for the details la joys fight to happen and same with cotto for the Floyd fight. I know their was a rift caused when Shane left for the pacqiuoa fight ..that's my earliest memory of the"cold war"...well at least gbp vs tr. So basically what I'm looking at is a "Floyd war". And to be honest I've been watching boxing since Erik Morales was sill fighting on boxing after dark! But was oblivious to the political mess of boxing at the time. So I doubt when I started watching was an issue. But rather when did i take notice to the bullshit! And your right it don't matter if he beat him there but if he couldn't get the flash fight why bother talking chacals name?
checkleft
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 8 2014, 09:34 AM) *
Keeping aware of who all theses kats have been signed to was not a priority if mine. I know floyd had to leave for the details la joys fight to happen and same with cotto for the Floyd fight. I know their was a rift caused when Shane left for the pacqiuoa fight ..that's my earliest memory of the"cold war"...well at least gbp vs tr. So basically what I'm looking at is a "Floyd war". And to be honest I've been watching boxing since Erik Morales was sill fighting on boxing after dark! But was oblivious to the political mess of boxing at the time. So I doubt when I started watching was an issue. But rather when did i take notice to the bullshit! And your right it don't matter if he beat him there but if he couldn't get the flash fight why bother talking chacals name?

You're acting like calling out rigo is a marketing strategy (pacquiao anyone?). Calling out rigo is about as good as calling out Andre dirrell, it does absolutely nothing for his publicity. So using common sense I'm thinking he actually wants to fight everyone as he has in the past. But this is simply my interpretation of his actions in the past.

AZWildCat
Wasn't taking it there just stating. Fact... I know he always looks for big fights he should just know that that ones not happening right now
AZWildCat
Might I add gbp should have offer ed to trade ghost for chacal since HBO hate him so much and Bobby don't know what to do wit em ! Lmao
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.