Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FightHype Q&A - February 13, 2014
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
What's up, everyone? I haven't been on the boards in FOREVER, but I had a little free time today, so I figured I would pop in to answer any questions you might have.

For those that are new here...welcome.

For those that don't know me...I'm Ben Thompson.

For those that have been here forever...the head monkey in charge has returned.

With that being said, if you have a burning question that you want an answer to, or even a suggestion you might have for the site, then fire away. I don't have much free time, but I'll answer what I can.
Dolimite
Hey Mr. Thompson, love your work I have 4 questions:

1. What would it take for the "cold war" to end and what would you suggest to make it in?

2. What is the deal with the testing issues with Pac and Bradley?

3. The winner of Cotto/Martinez could they possibly face Golovkin at the end of the year?

4. Do you think Khan honestly deserves a fight with Mayweather?

Thanks!
BoxingFan86
Have you guys thought about interviewin' Justin "Mayweather" Jones lately? I asked this question, 'cause Chris Robinson (Hustle Boss) has footage of the guy trainin' out of Mayweather's gym in Vegas with his dad. Since Sr. is trainin' him now, I'd like to stay updated on Jones' progress.

ryustuh
hello. my questions are:

1) why are the numbers from floyd's poll so different from virtually every other media source (fighthype, fightnews,espn, etc)
2) other than maidana/khan, who does floyd have targeted or at least on his radar before retiring in 2015?
3) any word on andre ward and when his next appearance might be? thoughts on him moving to LHW?

thanks
mgrover
Hello, my one question is

was broner really fucking about that much during his camp for maidana? or did he simply fight the wrong fight?
thehype
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 13 2014, 01:24 PM) *
Hey Mr. Thompson, love your work I have 4 questions:

1. What would it take for the "cold war" to end and what would you suggest to make it in?

2. What is the deal with the testing issues with Pac and Bradley?

3. The winner of Cotto/Martinez could they possibly face Golovkin at the end of the year?

4. Do you think Khan honestly deserves a fight with Mayweather?

Thanks!

Thanks.

1. I think the Cold War will only end when Todd duBoef has FULL control of Top Rank. The question is when will that happen.

2. According to Arum, it sounds like NSAC will handle the testing for Pac-Bradley 2. In other words, there won't be any additional or random, Olympic-style testing for the fight.

3. The winner of Cotto/Martinez SHOULD be facing GGG next. WILL they face him is the question. That's hard to say right now because they may have better financial offers (i.e. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. could be an option for the winner...or even Canelo...it just depends on how things shake out with a lot of other fights).

4. Based on their most recent performances, I think Maidana is "more" deserving. HOWEVER, that being said, I think Khan is the more interesting fight just because he brings speed to the table. I expect Mayweather to make his announcement very soon.
thehype
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Feb 13 2014, 01:39 PM) *
Have you guys thought about interviewin' Justin "Mayweather" Jones lately? I asked this question, 'cause Chris Robinson (Hustle Boss) has footage of the guy trainin' out of Mayweather's gym in Vegas with his dad. Since Sr. is trainin' him now, I'd like to stay updated on Jones' progress.

Percy Crawford is usually the one who interviews him. I'll pass on your comment and maybe he can get a hold of him. You can also contact Percy at pcrawford@fighthype.com
thehype
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Feb 13 2014, 01:42 PM) *
hello. my questions are:

1) why are the numbers from floyd's poll so different from virtually every other media source (fighthype, fightnews,espn, etc)
2) other than maidana/khan, who does floyd have targeted or at least on his radar before retiring in 2015?
3) any word on andre ward and when his next appearance might be? thoughts on him moving to LHW?

thanks

1. I assume it's because Amir Khan promoted the poll on Mayweather's site, so his legions of followers probably flooded that poll with their votes, essentially making it a popularity contest. The other polls are probably more representative of what the "casual" boxing fans want to see as opposed to the "diehard" fans of a particular fighter. The REAL question is, will Floyd's decision be based solely on the poll on his website, or is he taking the other polls into account as well.

2. I don't think he has anyone in particular on his radar. Whatever opponents are available for big money fights will likely be considered. For example, if Canelo or Cotto can get themselves back in the mix, I'm sure they will be options. If Danny Garcia moves up to 147, I'm sure he'll be an option as well. But that doesn't mean that someone else can't have some good wins and put themselves in the mix either. It really just depends on what everyone else does.

3. Unfortunately, there's still no word on Dre's next move. IMO, I don't think he should move up to Light Heavy until he's exhausted all of his financial options at 168. Dre is keenly aware that once he moves up, he can't move back down (i.e. Roy Jones Jr.), so he'll be looking to clean out all options at 168 before making that move.
thehype
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 13 2014, 02:20 PM) *
Hello, my one question is

was broner really fucking about that much during his camp for maidana? or did he simply fight the wrong fight?

Tough to say because I don't really know what all he was doing during that camp. I heard that he flew his fiance out to Colorado and had her with him throughout camp, but still, I can't really say that means he didn't take the fight seriously.

In my opinion, he just fought the wrong fight against a guy that he didn't think would be that strong. Maidana is a big boy with a good punch...I don't think AB was expecting it to be like that (i.e. the size of guys fighting at 147). Personally, I think he'll be moving back down to 140 sooner than people think.
klonopinz
What the hell is up with GARY RUSSELL JR!!!!!! Is he contracted by golden boy or just Al Haymon? Can you and find out what is up with the layoffs, weak competition, and what kind of hand injuries this guy has for real for real. Its not looking too good for him at the moment, but hes such a great fighter. I have heard he has very bad hand injuries and promotional issues. Get back to me if you got time.
thehype
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 13 2014, 02:40 PM) *
What the hell is up with GARY RUSSELL JR!!!!!! Is he contracted by golden boy or just Al Haymon? Can you and find out what is up with the layoffs, weak competition, and what kind of hand injuries this guy has for real for real. Its not looking too good for him at the moment, but hes such a great fighter. I have heard he has very bad hand injuries and promotional issues. Get back to me if you got time.

Gary Russell Jr. should finally have a decent opponent in his next bout. I can't speak too much on who it will be right now, but it will definitely be a step in the right direction. He's not tied to any promoter as far as I know. He's just with Al Haymon, but typically, he does work with Golden Boy. The layoffs were primarily due to hand injuries, and because he had those hand injuries, his team preferred to play it safe in the comeback fights, which meant weak competition. I just think it's an issue of the hand injuries that have continued to stall his career, but after his last fight, it looks like that's no longer a problem so he should now be moving forward to that next level.
klonopinz
Any word on Mikey Garcia vs Yuri Gamboa? I heard its being worked out right now and the negotiations are going well. Yuri ants to fight at 130 and mikey ants 135.
Dolimite
I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1. What will Golden Boy do with Victor Ortiz and Guerrero?

2. Can Andre Berto save his career and who do you see him fighting next?

3. Are you giving Angulo a good shot to beat Canelo?

4. What the deal on Rigondeaux, do you think he will resign with Arum or will he look for greener pastures?
philly31
What's the likelihood we get a blockbuster undercard for mayweather vs khan (if that gets finalized)? Is like to see something like ...

Pablo Cesar Cano vs. Joseto Lopez

Badou Jack vs. Sakio Bika
or
Lara vs. Quillin

Robert Guerrero vs. Keith Thurman
or
Marcos Maidana vs. Shawn Porter

Maidana gets Floyd in September if he wins.
Jack 1000
WELCOME BACK, BEN!!!!!!!

My question is, who would you like to see Keith Thurman fight next?

Jack
Gambit808
Hey Ben! I have three questions for now that revolve around the same subject.

Is woman's boxing a lost cause in marketing?

What's the main issues of why woman's MMA is thriving, while woman's boxing almost seems non existent in the public eye?

What's the update on that American 2012 Woman Boxing Olympic Medalist Claressa Shields, has she turned pro since then?

thehype
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 13 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Any word on Mikey Garcia vs Yuri Gamboa? I heard its being worked out right now and the negotiations are going well. Yuri ants to fight at 130 and mikey ants 135.

Nothing new to report yet. Still negotiating. Not sure about the weight being an issue...especially since Gamboa last fought at 135. From what I heard, it was an issue with the money. Garcia was wanting more than HBO was willing to offer. I don't know if that got worked out yet or not, but let's cross our fingers because that's actually a good fight that will tell us more about Garcia than any of his past fights have.
Jovi
Hey Ben, I never knew you were active on the boards, or the root admin. I should've done my homework, but it cool to meet you none the less... I have a few questions, some things i have been thinking about.

1) Mayweather vs Sergio Martinez- Do you think this fight is possible, main concern being the weight difference. Would you agree that the fight could generate alot of money on a May 3rd date?! Especially including Maidana on the undercard to have both Argentinians on the same card.

2) Whats in store for Lara's Future? Does he have a title shot coming up soon? Why has he not gotten a championship fight compared to someone new like Jermall charlo, or Demetrius Andrade... How do you see 154 shaping up this year.

3) How possible would it be for Rigondeaux to fight on showtime? Do you think he would be in store for bigger and better fights?
thehype
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 13 2014, 03:00 PM) *
I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1. What will Golden Boy do with Victor Ortiz and Guerrero?

2. Can Andre Berto save his career and who do you see him fighting next?

3. Are you giving Angulo a good shot to beat Canelo?

4. What the deal on Rigondeaux, do you think he will resign with Arum or will he look for greener pastures?

1. Not sure about Ortiz, but he's definitely recyclable. I'd still enjoy seeing him in rematches with Berto or Josesito Lopez. I don't think he's as washed up as some people think. That being said, I don't know if his heart is into boxing anymore. As for Guerrero, don't be surprised to see him fighting someone you did not expect in the very near future. And when you find out who, make sure you remember who gave you the first hint.

2. I think he can save his career if he changes the way he fights. For whatever reason, he seems to think that being in wars is a good thing. LOL. Sure, it's fun for the fans, but if you ain't built for that type of fight, you're not going to win them. In my opinion, he's never been built for fights like that. He should be relying more on his speed and athleticism...in other words, he should be boxing more. If you get him the right opponents, he can definitely showcase that and work his way back into the spotlight. If I were his matchmaker, I'd target someone like Josesito Lopez first...then maybe have a rematch with Luis Collazo before going after some of the other more familiar names.

3. Absolutely I think Angulo has a good shot. Don't get me wrong, I expect Canelo to get a decision, however, Canelo, in my opinion, is not a big puncher, so if Angulo takes his best punch and walks right through it, I think we're going to see Canelo's chin tested more than we've seen in the past. And with that being said, we've seen Canelo rocked before, so if Angulo can get to him, which I think he can, we might see an upset. He'll have to win by KO (or at least several knockdowns) though.

4. Rigo should have bounced from Top Rank the minute that Arum said he couldn't get him back on HBO because of his style. Essentially, his promoter said that he didn't know how to promote him. That sounds like grounds for breaking a contract to me. Regardless, I don't see Rigo leaving Top Rank any time soon. As long as he's still happy with the money he's getting, he probably won't go anywhere. It's actually pretty rare that a fighter leaves Top Rank. Go figure.
thehype
QUOTE (philly31 @ Feb 13 2014, 03:18 PM) *
What's the likelihood we get a blockbuster undercard for mayweather vs khan (if that gets finalized)? Is like to see something like ...

Pablo Cesar Cano vs. Joseto Lopez

Badou Jack vs. Sakio Bika
or
Lara vs. Quillin

Robert Guerrero vs. Keith Thurman
or
Marcos Maidana vs. Shawn Porter

Maidana gets Floyd in September if he wins.

First we have to wait and see who Mayweather picks before we start talking about some of the potential fights you mentioned. I can, however, confirm that as long as fighter x accepts the offer, then just like Garcia vs. Matthysse was for Mayweather vs. Canelo, there will be another pretty good co-main event to Mayweather's next fight. In fact, I think some of you will be surprised by it.
thehype
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 13 2014, 03:54 PM) *
WELCOME BACK, BEN!!!!!!!

My question is, who would you like to see Keith Thurman fight next?

Jack

Thanks Jack.

Well, I think they're going to try and push for Thurman vs. Collazo, though it seems like Collazo is reluctant to do that fight unless he gets paid. Personally though, I think Thurman is past that stage of his career. He should be fighting champions, and with that said, I would LOVE to see him fight IBF champ Shawn Porter. That's an all-action fight right there and somebody is bound to get knocked the FVCK out!!!
thehype
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Feb 13 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Hey Ben! I have three questions for now that revolve around the same subject.

Is woman's boxing a lost cause in marketing?

What's the main issues of why woman's MMA is thriving, while woman's boxing almost seems non existent in the public eye?

What's the update on that American 2012 Woman Boxing Olympic Medalist Claressa Shields, has she turned pro since then?

1. I don't think it's a lost cause. Someone just has to actually care enough to try and market it.

2. Well, it's thriving because of what I said in question 1...someone actually cared enough to try and market it. Honestly, it was EliteXC, Strikeforce, and Showtime that first put their backing into Woman's MMA because of hot tottie by the name of Gina Carano. At the time, it reached it's peak when Carano faced off with Cyborg. After that though, Woman's MMA kind of fell off because...well....mainly because Cyborg beat the crap out of Gina and, quite frankly, she's just not as attractive. LOL. So Woman's MMA kind of fell off a little bit. Don't get me wrong...there was still Miesha Tate, but for whatever reason, Tate just didn't click as much....probably because she's such a sweetheart and just didn't have that "bad girl" attitude. That changed, however, when Ronda Rousey turned pro. Then, of course, you had the bad blood between her and Miesha...and then of course the fight...and then that's when Dana White finally said, "You know what? I'm gonna give this chick (Rousey) a shot." So Dana basically decided to put the UFC's backing into it and BOOM...now Woman's MMA is a hit. That's not to say that it won't die down again, which is a possibility if Rousey loses. But Dana White and the UFC have definitely put all their marketing efforts behind Rousey. That's something that woman's boxing hasn't had since the days of Laila Ali and Christy Martin. They were fortunate enough to have someone like Don King (who at the time was still promoting Mike Tyson) put his full backing into them, and thus, woman's boxing thrived. Since then, however, nobody else has been willing to do that. For example, if Floyd Mayweather decided to do that, you can believe that woman's boxing would be back on the scene again if he had a fine female kicking ass on his undercards. That type of exposure would be a GOOD thing for woman's boxing. I know for a fact that Showtime is definitely interested in the idea, as they were seriously considering putting Ana Julaton on one of Mayweather's undercards, but unfortunately, she lost her bout prior to that happening. The fact that they were considering it, however, is a good thing, so maybe there's still hope.

3. To my knowledge, Claressa Shields has NOT turned pro yet. She's still competing in amateur events. In fact, she just competed at the USA Boxing National Championships. Here's a story about that: http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ss...petes_at_u.html
BigFightFan
Ben,

1. Are you trying to say Guerrero will be thrown into a tough fight for pulling that contract stunt.

2. I can see The Ghost vs Thurman or Bronner on the Mayweather undercard if Maidana gets the main event. Am I right? Lol

3. Why doesn't boxing have a 30 minute to a hour show on one of the major sport channels( ESPN, FS1 etc...) like the NFL and other leagues. Is the market just not prominent? They can have one professional anchor and 2-5 boxing experts( trainers, fighters, managers etc) to recap what's going on in the boxing world. KO of the week, fighter interviews and so much more. Just my thoughts though.
thehype
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Feb 13 2014, 06:12 PM) *
Ben,

1. Are you trying to say Guerrero will be thrown into a tough fight for pulling that contract stunt.

2. I can see The Ghost vs Thurman or Bronner on the Mayweather undercard if Maidana gets the main event. Am I right? Lol

3. Why doesn't boxing have a 30 minute to a hour show on one of the major sport channels( ESPN, FS1 etc...) like the NFL and other leagues. Is the market just not prominent? They can have one professional anchor and 2-5 boxing experts( trainers, fighters, managers etc) to recap what's going on in the boxing world. KO of the week, fighter interviews and so much more. Just my thoughts though.

1. I'm simply saying from what I hear, Guerrero's next fight will likely be one worth watching. I do not think he's being punished though.

2. Nah. Not right.

3. Kind of similar to my answer about Woman's boxing....someone has to actually be interested in doing that. If those particular networks aren't interested in doing it, then it's just not going to happen. Hopefully the heads at Golden Boy can pull some strings at FS1 and maybe that can become a reality if they really want to make it happen.
Plah
Yo, Ben! Let's do this weekly or at least 3-4 times a month
thehype
QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 13 2014, 07:26 PM) *
Yo, Ben! Let's do this weekly or at least 3-4 times a month

Sounds like a plan.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 13 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Thanks Jack.

Well, I think they're going to try and push for Thurman vs. Collazo, though it seems like Collazo is reluctant to do that fight unless he gets paid. Personally though, I think Thurman is past that stage of his career. He should be fighting champions, and with that said, I would LOVE to see him fight IBF champ Shawn Porter. That's an all-action fight right there and somebody is bound to get knocked the FVCK out!!!

Oh yea Ben,

Thurman-Porter is fireworks for sure! WOW!

Jack
Col Reb
Hey Ben, two quick questions:

1) Would you consider having the chat room feature again for the site? It is lots of fun on and after big fight nights.

2) Why wouldn't Floyd consider fighting GGG if he came down to 154 or 155? I would think it would be a big money fight that would be very entertaining. I also think the network situation would be manageable between them.
Cshel86
QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 13 2014, 12:55 PM) *
What's up, everyone? I haven't been on the boards in FOREVER, but I had a little free time today, so I figured I would pop in to answer any questions you might have.

For those that are new here...welcome.

For those that don't know me...I'm Ben Thompson.

For those that have been here forever...the head monkey in charge has returned.

With that being said, if you have a burning question that you want an answer to, or even a suggestion you might have for the site, then fire away. I don't have much free time, but I'll answer what I can.

Welcome to FightHype!
gwite
Hi Ben, really impressed with your work.

I do however wish you(or your proxy) could put on your "radio"/podcast show on a (more)regular/frequent basis.

I know you must be very busy, so what do you think the chances are that this will ever be? That is assuming that you want a more frequent show.

Anyway, whatever you do, I'll keep following all of your good work. Thanks.
thehype
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Feb 13 2014, 11:23 PM) *
Hey Ben, two quick questions:

1) Would you consider having the chat room feature again for the site? It is lots of fun on and after big fight nights.

2) Why wouldn't Floyd consider fighting GGG if he came down to 154 or 155? I would think it would be a big money fight that would be very entertaining. I also think the network situation would be manageable between them.

1. Absolutely. I think the old chat room became buggy and unresponsive, so I'll have to find a new one to use. If I get some free time in the near future, I'll add that to my to-do list.

2. I don't know if he would consider, but if it makes dollars, it makes sense. The question is, will it make dollars? I'm not so sure it would...at least not more than he could make with other potential opponents. I like GGG, but I don't think he's as well-known to casual fans as he is to diehard fans. Truth be told, a fight with Maidana would likely do more numbers based on the simple fact that more casual fans know who Maidana is. Furthermore, I highly doubt that the network situation would be manageable, as it seems like GGG has become much more tied to HBO this year. As you know, Floyd only fights on Showtime, and given the fact that HBO is still kind of irked about him leaving, I don't think they're going to let the new face of the network (GGG) bounce for a Showtime PPV fight.
thehype
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2014, 12:45 AM) *
Welcome to FightHype!

Thanks for the warm welcome. LOL
thehype
QUOTE (gwite @ Feb 14 2014, 06:24 AM) *
Hi Ben, really impressed with your work.

I do however wish you(or your proxy) could put on your "radio"/podcast show on a (more)regular/frequent basis.

I know you must be very busy, so what do you think the chances are that this will ever be? That is assuming that you want a more frequent show.

Anyway, whatever you do, I'll keep following all of your good work. Thanks.

Thanks.

We'll definitely be bringing back FightHype Radio. Honestly, I'm probably to blame for the hiatus. Things got kind of busy for me since our last official FightHype Radio show. Since then, our female co-host, Michelle Rosado, has been hosting her own Raging Babe Radio show on the FightHype Network and I've made an occasional appearance, but I've just really been busy trying to work on a few other things that site needs (like an easier to read mobile version of the site). Once I get done tying up a few loose ends, FightHype Radio will back in full effect...hopefully by the end of this month.
HyyerBlaze
Did Mayweather/Guerrero really do over a million ppv buys?Why didn't they release the official numbers like with Canelo?
Dolimite
A few questions if possible:

1. I am a big fan of the Charlo twins, what fights do you see them having that will make them house hold names?

2. Danny Garcia has his hands full in his next fight, he is the clear favorite to win, however I see this fight being a trap fight, would you agree?

3. Tim Bradley recently signed an extension with TR, after Pac and JMM there are not too many options for him. He said that he didn't take the chance of leaving TR because the Mayweather fight was not guaranteed, I call BS on Bradley. Besides making a substantial amount of money, do you know if there were any other reasons why Tim stayed with TR? If Bradley did leave TR do you think his chances of fighting Floyd in September would be in his favor?

4. Who would you like to see "E Boy" Gomez fight next?

5. What are some of your ideas about getting rid of bad judges? Also, if a judge's score is like the one CJ Ross had for the Mayweather Canelo fight, do you think there can be a system where that judge's card can be overturned by a panel of judges or by another judge? Would this help curve corrupt judges and BAD score cards?
mgrover
1. What'd you think of the Froch vs Groves first fight?? rewatching it, its not as one sided a beating the commentators seemed to make out. Also what'd you think will happen in the rematch? Groves says he wants Froch in 3 but looking at the KD he caught Froch coming and off balance so will he really stop Froch?
thehype
QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Feb 14 2014, 12:09 PM) *
Did Mayweather/Guerrero really do over a million ppv buys?Why didn't they release the official numbers like with Canelo?

According to Stephen Espinoza and everyone else associated with the promotion, yes, it did. Since I have no way of verifying independently, I take their word for it...just like I've taken Bob Arum's word on the PPV numbers for Pac-Rios, Pac-Marquez IV, Pac-Bradley, Pac-Mosley...basically EVERY Pacquiao PPV fight that they've never released "official" numbers for.
thehype
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 14 2014, 12:10 PM) *
A few questions if possible:

1. I am a big fan of the Charlo twins, what fights do you see them having that will make them house hold names?

2. Danny Garcia has his hands full in his next fight, he is the clear favorite to win, however I see this fight being a trap fight, would you agree?

3. Tim Bradley recently signed an extension with TR, after Pac and JMM there are not too many options for him. He said that he didn't take the chance of leaving TR because the Mayweather fight was not guaranteed, I call BS on Bradley. Besides making a substantial amount of money, do you know if there were any other reasons why Tim stayed with TR? If Bradley did leave TR do you think his chances of fighting Floyd in September would be in his favor?

4. Who would you like to see "E Boy" Gomez fight next?

5. What are some of your ideas about getting rid of bad judges? Also, if a judge's score is like the one CJ Ross had for the Mayweather Canelo fight, do you think there can be a system where that judge's card can be overturned by a panel of judges or by another judge? Would this help curve corrupt judges and BAD score cards?

1. Well, in order to become household names, they need to fight other recognizable names, so they'll need to get into the mix with guys like Canelo, Angulo, etc. Either that or fight on cards that will give them more exposure. Jermall is fighting Molina on the Canelo-Angulo, so that's a great start. Jermell made a post on Twitter that suggests he'll be fighting on Floyd's card, which is also a great start IF true (though from what I'm hearing, that may not happen). But so far, I think they're making all the right moves as far as their progression and opponent selection.

2. Nah. I mean, I guess technically it could be a trap fight, but I really don't think he'll have any major problems with Herrera. He may start slow, but worst case scenario, I think Danny wins 7 rounds to 5.

3. I think he's right in saying that there's no guarantee that he'll get a Mayweather fight. I mean, Amir Khan CLAIMED to have signed a contract to fight Floyd, but as you can see, he's sweatin' bullets right now because he's not sure if he'll actually get the fight. I think Tim just received a nice financial offer to face guys that he probably thinks are easy to beat. You have to remember, first and foremost, boxing is a JOB for all of these fighters. Because of that, they have to maximize their earning potential during the limited amount of time that their careers last. I think Tim probably just looked at Top Rank's roster and figured no matter who they give him, he can beat them pretty easily. That being said, for him, it's all about the minimum guarantee for whoever he fights. Whether it's Pacquiao again, Marquez again, Provodnikov again, Rios, Alvarado, Jessie Vargas....whoever Top Rank has...Tim probably views those fights as easy money, so that's why he re-signed with them in my opinion...and I don't blame him one bit.

4. I'd like to see Eddie in with Austin Trout. I think he's ready. Trout would also be a good name for Jermell Charlo.

5. I don't think we'll ever get rid of bad judging because judging is such a subjective art. It all depends on where you sit, what you see, what you like to see...plus personal bias likely creeps in (even though it's not supposed to, we're all human). That being said, I do think there should be an age restriction. I mean, I'm not so sure I trust the eyes or the attention span of a 60 or 70-year-old judge. More importantly tough, I think the best way to fix the problem is to add MORE judges. Instead of relying on 3 judges, why not use 5 judges? The could have 1 judge on every side of the ring (that's 4) plus an additional judge isolated from the arena and watching it on TV with no volume, so they're not affected by the ooh's and aww's of the fans. I think that would give us better and more accurate judging overall.
thehype
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 14 2014, 01:18 PM) *
1. What'd you think of the Froch vs Groves first fight?? rewatching it, its not as one sided a beating the commentators seemed to make out. Also what'd you think will happen in the rematch? Groves says he wants Froch in 3 but looking at the KD he caught Froch coming and off balance so will he really stop Froch?

I thought the strength and power of Groves surprised Froch early, but he started making adjustments and began taking over the fight. I think that's largely in part to the inexperience of Groves. By the end of the fight though, it seemed clear to me that Froch was coming on strong while Groves was fading badly. I think the success that Groves had early kind of surprised the commentators, which is the reason why they started talking a little crazy. Personally, I thought Froch looked like he always looks, but like I said, he just underestimated Groves. I don't think he'll make that mistake again. I expect Froch to be a little more cautious in the rematch and he'll likely win a decisive decision in a fight that underwhelms. If Groves is going to win, he'll have to stop Froch early, which is certainly possible, but only if Froch is dumb enough to come out throwing bombs. I don't think he'll do that though.
philly31
Can you give us five fights you'd like to see this year ...
AZWildCat
What's going on Ben!

1. How do you feel about Errol Spence and his claim of being ready for the sharks? Who do you think matches up well for him?

2. What's your take on kell brook at this point in his career?

3. How do you view the Chavez Jr vs ggg fight when and if it happens?

4. Who do you feel is walking away winner of the hopeful gamboa vs Garcia Clash?

5. Fighter/Breakout fighter of the year predictions?

Thanks Ben, appreciate you for spending some of your valuable time with us.
Cshel86
Hasn't Cotto learned his lesson about fighting guys who tower over him, or nah?

Oh yeah, I'm almost sure this is the truth, but....was Bradley thrown to the wolves in the Ruslan fight, because he gave TR shit for not wanting the Peterson rematch at the end of 2012? I mean, there was so much that Arum could've done with Peterson...maybe a Vargas fight (whom he was trying to build up for a Pac fight), Alvarado, or...he Arum could've just had another "slick black fighter" on his roster. Lol

Anyhow, please explain how that Bradley win (a very edgy one) against Ruslan screwed everything up. Wasn't Alavardo bitching about money for the Rios rematch, or nah? Makes me wonder how Ruslan/Bradley and Rios/Alvarado all fought last March, but the winners got screwed by the end of the year. Bradley was put in a fight that could've been "sold", but was promoted horribly, and Alvarado was thrown to the wolves in the Ruslan fight.

I think Arum had something for all of those guys on his roster who tried to "take a stand" in 2012 and 2013...or period. Wasn't Juan bitching about money as well, in 2013 for a Pac rematch, something like $10M??? Sounds orchestrated to me. I think somebody (Juan) is gonna be offered "more money" this year, just to get "thrown to the wolves". Go figure...
AZWildCat
sorry ben one more

is there any truth to Errol Spence knocking out broner?

BrutUalBK
QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 13 2014, 04:25 PM) *
First we have to wait and see who Mayweather picks before we start talking about some of the potential fights you mentioned. I can, however, confirm that as long as fighter x accepts the offer, then just like Garcia vs. Matthysse was for Mayweather vs. Canelo, there will be another pretty good co-main event to Mayweather's next fight. In fact, I think some of you will be surprised by it.

What does this mean? And if you know who it is then please share it with us, thanks.
TheCritics
Whats good Ben?

I'm new to the site and enjoying my stay, I have a problem with the boxing scribes like Rafael/Nigel/Iole not calling Arum out for his "Hitler" comparison at any length or meaning, the novices follow their work and take their cues from them, wouldn't it be good for the sport for someone to put that rhetoric in its rightful place?

Also, how do you feel about Garcia saying he'll tell the BWAA to shove any future awards up their ___? Due to the fact they just had to give Roach another TOTY when Pac pounded the human punching bag, and Cotto fought a complete no-hoper, my vote went to Angel for the catch and shoot strategy over Matthysse, your take?
klonopinz
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 16 2014, 12:23 PM) *
What does this mean? And if you know who it is then please share it with us, thanks.

hope its mathysse or something totally unexpected
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 16 2014, 12:23 PM) *

It's called..."reading between the lines"....

He "says things without saying them"...if that makes any sense. Lol
thehype
QUOTE (philly31 @ Feb 14 2014, 09:30 PM) *
Can you give us five fights you'd like to see this year ...

I don't really have a preference of fights that I want to see. I watch them all. Plus, understanding how this business works, I try not to get my hopes up for a particular fight. I just take whatever is given to me. That being said, as much as people talk about GGG, I would LOVE to see him fight Andre Ward...or even take on Erislandy's Lara challenge for that matter. Other than that, I'm not really picky. A fight is a fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 16 2014, 09:29 PM) *
I don't really have a preference of fights that I want to see. I watch them all. Plus, understanding how this business works, I try not to get my hopes up for a particular fight. I just take whatever is given to me. That being said, as much as people talk about GGG, I would LOVE to see him fight Andre Ward...or even take on Erislandy's Lara challenge for that matter. Other than that, I'm not really picky. A fight is a fight.

Please open a thread about this...mofos don't seem to wanna understand this, for some odd reason.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 16 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Are you going to make us beg you or suffer? If you know something are you willing to share it? I hope Floyd's choice is surprising, I'm tired of people talking about this mess with Khan, I don't mind Maidana, Garcia, Lara, Bradley/Pacquiao (we know those probably won't happen given the TR vs FMJr relationship).

Just give us another hint.......................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.