Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan favorite vs the villain...who sells the most tickets?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Had to throw this out there, so what everybody thinks...

As we all know, in most popular bouts, we have the "fan favorite" and of course....the villain. Whenever these two are matched up, biggest question is...whose actually responsible the majority of the tickets sales and PPV buys?

We had guys like Oscar back in the day (and all the way up to retirement) who sold tickets/PPVs regardless of who he fought. When the Floyd fight happened, it made me wonder if the sales had more to do with the fact that it was just Oscar in another big fight, or did people REALLY wanna see him crush the loudmouth Mayweather THAT bad...

I know it may sound like I'm answering my own question, but think about it...that's the highest selling fight in boxing history, so the villain role had to mean something there. I'm sure nobody bought it because they just loved Floyd...that clearly wasn't the case. Lol

Anyhow, with that in mind, could the villain possibly demand a significant increase in his purse, if a rematch was in the works?
mgrover
I wanna mention Tyson, that speech on Lennox Lewis

need to speed up to the minute mark.

See thats what I thought Tysons success came from. But I think its more people where just general intrigued by this monster for show.

oh yeah that music just fits in so well with that speech haha
Dolimite
The Villain sells the tickets. Look at De La Hoya vs. Mayweather/Vargas. Vargas was the dick everyone wanted to see knocked out and of course Floyd was the ultimate villain. Why do you think people are still clamoring for the "fight of the century" A saint vs. the devil.

Ali the bad Muslim vs. Frazier/Foreman the good Negros. It is how they look at LeBron the villain. Villain sells the tickets. The good have loyal fans but the casuals ain't going to spend bread on watching them play.
AZWildCat
Floyd wasn't a villan till that fight!

Everybody pays to see the bad Guy die!
checkleft
The villain. As my boy Al once said "you need people like me"... Floyd, Lebron, cristiano, sherman, bayer, Mr. T, Tom from jerry, the wiley coyote... People love to see the bad guy lose.

I may be in the minority tho, I love to see a good villain succeed..
Col Reb
Floyd became a "villain" in the promotion for the Gatti fight.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Feb 15 2014, 04:57 AM) *
Floyd became a "villain" in the promotion for the Gatti fight.

I stand corrected ...thyis very true ..his first ppv
AZWildCat
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 15 2014, 04:07 AM) *
The villain. As my boy Al once said "you need people like me"... Floyd, Lebron, cristiano, sherman, bayer, Mr. T, Tom from jerry, the wiley coyote... People love to see the bad guy lose.

Good ole Tony.

They do

Depending on who it is I'm with you on that
KOpower
The bad guy sells until he loses a fight or two. At that point the novelty of wanting to see him lose just drops completely and he is left selling fights on some other foundation. You can really only sell as a bad guy if you win or if you are in there with a bigger star good guy.
DigitalBoom
Personality is what sells a fighters bouts. If people find you interesting whether good or bad they'll watch. If you come off as boring and uninteresting (Bradley,Rigo,etc) then you have trouble grabbing the masses. For example if Rigo was more outspoken about his talents and publicly considered himself a wrecking ball his supporters would be doing the same on the internet and maybe increasing his fanbase. Rigo is quiet polite and very reserved so he doesn't offer too much in the way of entertainment outside of the ring. Amir for example can get on people's nerves but they pay attention whether good or bad. How many cringe worthy quotes has Amir had in the last 4 years? A ton but he's entertaining at the very least when he talks...so yeah it's all about personality.
mgrover
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Feb 15 2014, 05:19 PM) *
Personality is what sells a fighters bouts. If people find you interesting whether good or bad they'll watch. If you come off as boring and uninteresting (Bradley,Rigo,etc) then you have trouble grabbing the masses. For example if Rigo was more outspoken about his talents and publicly considered himself a wrecking ball his supporters would be doing the same on the internet and maybe increasing his fanbase. Rigo is quiet polite and very reserved so he doesn't offer too much in the way of entertainment outside of the ring. Amir for example can get on people's nerves but they pay attention whether good or bad. How many cringe worthy quotes has Amir had in the last 4 years? A ton but he's entertaining at the very least when he talks...so yeah it's all about personality.

Same deal with Victor Ortiz tbh.
DigitalBoom
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 15 2014, 12:32 PM) *
Same deal with Victor Ortiz tbh.

At least last I heard Ortiz called it a day. He should've retired after his Jaw was snapped in half...I still can't believe folks ever believed he deserved a shot at Floyd. How the bar has been lowered in boxing...
mgrover
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Feb 15 2014, 07:20 PM) *
At least last I heard Ortiz called it a day. He should've retired after his Jaw was snapped in half...I still can't believe folks ever believed he deserved a shot at Floyd. How the bar has been lowered in boxing...

Ortiz will always draw people cause of the shit he says
AZWildCat
QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Feb 15 2014, 03:20 PM) *

nobody really had room to complain at the time...the kid was white hot at the moment ..just won a thrilling 12 battle coming off the canvas a couple times and walked away with a belt....and floyd capitalized on it!
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 15 2014, 01:07 AM) *

Here here!
bnoles4life
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 14 2014, 07:36 PM) *
Floyd wasn't a villan till that fight!

Everybody pays to see the bad Guy die!

I take it you never saw the build up to the Gatti fight?
AZWildCat
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 15 2014, 11:31 AM) *
I stand corrected ...thyis very true ..his first ppv

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 16 2014, 09:33 PM) *
I take it you never saw the build up to the Gatti fight?

Had already corrected myself Mr noles .....c+ fighter ...embaiin his home town ....at that moment I forgot e even fought gatti
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.