Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible that Cotto could pass Pacquiao in PPV numbers?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Gambit808
It would be interesting to compare the numbers of each PPV, though Pacquiao's official PPV sales usually always get swept under the rug. But given that Martinez is a far better draw than Bradley and Cotto is usually pegged as the 3rd highest draw in boxing, could Cotto-Martinez actually eclipse Pacquiao-Bradley 2 numbers?
mgrover
i wanna say maybe but supposedly the first fight did 700kish, arum said it was 890kish so 700k isnt far from the truth , also with the controversy of the first fight the second fight gets a boost. now what did Martinez do with cChavez jr
Gambit808
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 22 2014, 06:49 AM) *
i wanna say maybe but supposedly the first fight did 700kish, arum said it was 890kish so 700k isnt far from the truth , also with the controversy of the first fight the second fight gets a boost. now what did Martinez do with cChavez jr

475,000 buys I believe were for the Chavez Jr. fight, while Canelo was fighting on the same night on Showtime. I think if those fights didn't rival each other that night, Chavez-Martinez would've probably did around 600,000. You add that capability in with the drawing power of Cotto, and I think you could have a fight that could possibly compete with or even eclipse a Pacquiao-Bradley 2 if both are promoted with great expectations.
Plah
Only if Cotto had fought (and beaten) DLH.
KOpower
It is possible. I will say that I am more likely to pay for Cotto-Martinez than PAC-Bradley. I will probably get both but Arum's undercards are terrible.m
Jovi
I never actually thought about this until the question was asked, I think its very well possible.

Cotto/Pac
Cotto/Mayweather
Cotto/Margarito 2 - was this PPV? I'd don't remember if it was or not but i do remember watching it
Now Cotto/Martinez?.... Cotto i see you!, putting up numbers!
I'm surprised we havent got a Cotto/Marquez yet.

He could possibly take the lead if he gets those big fights that can be turned into events. Cotto/Marquez, Cotto/Canelo. Even a Cotto/Pac 2 if he Cotto were to beat Marquez, but thats still a longshot for Cotto to even face Marquez, i dont want to sound like I'm reaching.

Cotto be fighting Everybody!
mrchitown
It could but I think the rematch between Bradley and Manny will do some good numbers and probably be higher then Cotto-Martinez...it's a bit of history and controversy sells so I see the Manny fight selling more
TheCritics
I doubt it
BrutUalBK
It may even be likely that he already has given the fact that we know ROB Arum hardly releases many of Pacquiao's major bouts and when he has his numbers were suspect.
DigitalBoom
Not gonna happen...as much as I enjoy watching Martinez he draws crowds to premium cable not ppv's.
checkleft
Very possible. Matter of fact more than likely he will
xxxxxx
This is a good question because it will be CLOSE. I love both fights but if I had to choose one I may end up flipping a coin.
Gambit808
Seems to me so far, Cotto-Martinez is carrying more of a buzz than Pacquiao-Bradley 2. Maybe it's because I'm in NY, but all the talk has been more-so in the interest in Cotto-Martinez.
checkleft
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 10 2014, 02:50 PM) *
Seems to me so far, Cotto-Martinez is carrying more of a buzz than Pacquiao-Bradley 2. Maybe it's because I'm in NY, but all the talk has been more-so in the interest in Cotto-Martinez.

same out here in Cali

matter o fact I hardly hear anything about Pac bradley
BrutUalBK
Well let's just say that it wouldn't be surprising if Cotto did pass him because Manny's numbers in many of his bouts have been either hidden from us by Arum or inflated so that they can keep his name relevant with Mayweather's so they can continue to hype him.
Cshel86
When was the last time we've seen any REAL Pac PPV numbers??? While he only did 500k in the Rios fight, I still believe he sells more than Cotto on his worse day., The idea of fighting in China wasn't the best one (business wise), hope Bob doesn't do that to Manny anymore.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 18 2014, 10:14 AM) *
When was the last time we've seen any REAL Pac PPV numbers??? While he only did 500k in the Rios fight, I still believe he sells more than Cotto on his worse day., The idea of fighting in China wasn't the best one (business wise), hope Bob doesn't do that to Manny anymore.

Really?! Even now that his market has taken a hit since Marquez? Maybe I can't base sales off his last fight in Macau, but don't u think part of the reason Pacquiao was relocated to China for Rios was because of the lack of interest over here as well? We both know they're not a lot of lucrative fighters to look foward to matching up against Pacquiao to help boost sales and now with Cotto shooting for a Middleweight title against Martinez, whom with the right "dance partner" can sell himself, while afterwards is the possibility of a fight with Canelo who is coming off a successful PPV himself, If we were to put that up against Pacquiao-Bradley 2 (winner) vs. Marquez-Provodnikov (winner), then I'd say Cotto could give Pacquiao a run for his money.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 18 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Really?! Even now that his market has taken a hit since Marquez? Maybe I can't base sales off his last fight in Macau, but don't u think part of the reason Pacquiao was relocated to China for Rios was because of the lack of interest over here as well? We both know they're not a lot of lucrative fighters to look foward to matching up against Pacquiao to help boost sales and now with Cotto shooting for a Middleweight title against Martinez, whom with the right "dance partner" can sell himself, while afterwards is the possibility of a fight with Canelo who is coming off a successful PPV himself, If we were to put that up against Pacquiao-Bradley 2 (winner) vs. Marquez-Provodnikov (winner), then I'd say Cotto could give Pacquiao a run for his money.

Yes, I believe so. It appears as though his market has taken a hit since the Rios fight, but who knows just how low his numbers were since the Margarito fight? I wouldn't completely rely on his Macau numbers...not many would've sold much, had they fought in China. I have to find that article that proved why Manny's numbers were so low for that fight.

Anyhow, I agree, there aren't many lucrative fights out there for him, but I look at it this way, he does decent numbers with crappy undercards...so if he has the right dance partners, then he could get close to his old numbers. I believe Cotto/Margarito II did about 600k, and it had Rios on the card, as well as the Wolak/Rodriguez rematch, while Manny/Rios did about 500k with a crappy undercard.

Honestly, Im not so sure how much Cotto/Martinez sells, but a Cotto/Canelo fight would blow a Manny/Bradley rematch out of the water, and compete against a Pac/JMM fight...only because of how the 4th one ended.
checkleft
I think cotto Martinez will do better. Cotto against people with less popularity than Sergio has drawn big crowds (trout, Rodriguez). Two Latin fighters in the midst of a Latin holiday (Puerto Rican day parade) in new York (a lot of Puerto Ricans and Latins period) is gonna equal big numbers if you ask me.... Manny against timothy Bradley..? It just seems to have a bad stigma on peoples mind
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 19 2014, 02:16 AM) *
I think cotto Martinez will do better. Cotto against people with less popularity than Sergio has drawn big crowds (trout, Rodriguez). Two Latin fighters in the midst of a Latin holiday (Puerto Rican day parade) in new York (a lot of Puerto Ricans and Latins period) is gonna equal big numbers if you ask me.... Manny against timothy Bradley..? It just seems to have a bad stigma on peoples mind

I believe it will do better, as well. I get what you're saying about Cotto against less popular guys, having drawn big crowds...but as I always mention..."viewers and buyers are two different things". Cotto vs Trout and Cotto vs Rodriguez, wouldn't have sold much (PPV wise), but maybe Cotto/Martinez will do some pretty good numbers. About how many do you project for that bout?

I can say that Pac/Bradley may actually do the fabricated numbers that the first fight did...which Bob blurted out around 900k, when it really did 700k. I'm looking at the Canelo/Angulo numbers, and it's looking like 375k, but I'm not sure that official number just yet.
ryustuh
i see pac-bradley 2 doing better numbers because of all the die-hard manny fans praying that he can pull off the W and prove that he's still got it (since the rios fight obviously didn't prove anything). on the flip-side, you'll have a ton of fans watching just to prove to themselves that manny has indeed fallen off. it's also a big draw because of all the implications it holds for pacquiao's future career given a W or a L (i.e. will a win push him any closer to facing floyd, who will he face if he loses, etc). cotto-martinez is compelling and more exciting to me, but i dont see these guys in the same make-or-break type situation that pac is in.
Cshel86
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Mar 19 2014, 02:24 PM) *
i see pac-bradley 2 doing better numbers because of all the die-hard manny fans praying that he can pull off the W and prove that he's still got it (since the rios fight obviously didn't prove anything). on the flip-side, you'll have a ton of fans watching just to prove to themselves that manny has indeed fallen off. it's also a big draw because of all the implications it holds for pacquiao's future career given a W or a L (i.e. will a win push him any closer to facing floyd, who will he face if he loses, etc). cotto-martinez is compelling and more exciting to me, but i dont see these guys in the same make-or-break type situation that pac is in.

Good points man! Welcome back, by the way.

I think we'll all be able to make a better assessment, once we see how the promotion goes for both fights. Right now, I don't hear anybody (read: people on the street) talking about EITHER fight just yet, but that doesn't truly say much at this moment. I remember the Tyson, Holyfield, HW era...you'd hear people talking about those fights. Now that I think about it...I'll wait til fight week, that's when I used to hear about those fights, then they'd happen shortly after. Lol
Gambit808
QUOTE (ryustuh @ Mar 19 2014, 02:24 PM) *

Good point, but I think Cotto even while moving up to a weight we're unsure of how he'll look, is in a make or break. If he loses badly as some here (including myself) may suspect, I think his stock takes a dive into the "never be the same as before/washed up" column. Even if he was to follow it up against another world beater like Canelo, I don't think he would be considered the "A-side fighter" as he would be now and the that potential event as well, would take a hit from a pre-Cotto loss.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 20 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Good point, but I think Cotto even while moving up to a weight we're unsure of how he'll look, is in a make or break. If he loses badly as some here (including myself) may suspect, I think his stock takes a dive into the "never be the same as before/washed up" column. Even if he was to follow it up against another world beater like Canelo, I don't think he would be considered the "A-side fighter" as he would be now and the that potential event as well, would take a hit from a pre-Cotto loss.

I somewhat agree with you G, but Cotto's best bet here, is to "look good losing"...like he did in the Mayweather fight. Even if he does move on to fight Canelo afterwards (after a loss), we'd have to look at Canelo's recent PPV numbers with Angulo, which a appear to be around 375k...Cotto will still be the A-side...he may not get a huge cut of the purse as he usually would, but he'd still be the A-side...in a sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.