Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adrien Broner to Potentially Fight on Floyd's May 3rd Card
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MaxPayne
It's an interesting question. Does he fight at 140 lbs. or 147 lbs. ?

Who are some names out there that could fit the bill ? Lucas Mattysse ? Robert Guerrero ? Lamont Peterson ? Shawn Porter ?

Let's hear your thoughts fellas.
BoxingEinstein

I hope he fights at 140 for his sake and his body sake. The kid has not fully filled out his welterweight potential during fight night. He needs to take his time and work his way up like he originally should have.

I think a Peterson or Aydin-Postol winner would be best comeback fight at 140. Porter would maul him more than Peterson or Maidana and Matthysse is a bad style match up for Broner that might not end well.
Jovi
A Broner Thread before a Mayweather thread?! On Mayweathers undercard too. Should just make a thread about the May 3rd date.

I read somewhere that Matthysse may also be returning on this undercard and against Keith Thurman. This would be an amazing fight, and an even better idea having TWO Argentinians on the same fight card.

If Broner is on the undercard, the best fight for him I think would be against Khan. Not a guy that he can run through, but if Broner Manages to win then it will definitely prove something. Same thing for Khan, beating Broner will do a lot for him, and them losing to each other doesn't really hurt their stock. If Broner loses he can move down, if Khan loses then he just proves he wasn't ready for Mayweather...

checkleft
Fight khan
DigitalBoom
Its going to be Matthysse probably at 147 I dont think AB can really lose as much weight anymore hence the quick move ups..Lucas was just recently circulating talks about a fight in May of this year and considering his buddy is the main event its not hard to see him vs Broner both coming off losses and will probably end up drawing a ton of interest. Id find that fight more interesting than the main event sadly enough.
DigitalBoom
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Feb 24 2014, 11:37 PM) *
I hope he fights at 140 for his sake and his body sake. The kid has not fully filled out his welterweight potential during fight night. He needs to take his time and work his way up like he originally should have.

I think a Peterson or Aydin-Postol winner would be best comeback fight at 140. Porter would maul him more than Peterson or Maidana and Matthysse is a bad style match up for Broner that might not end well.

Wasnt AB walking around north of 160 for like 3 months before he started camp? If anything his height will be his biggest obstacle, he aint got them super long Floyd arms. On the weight end I think he'd struggle to make 140 personally unless hes been doing some serious Cardio since his Maidana loss and avoided putting on them 20 pounds again.
mrchitown
Broner was mentioned as a 2nd option for Khan. Neither have been in a dull fight. I think he should go down to junior welter though and grow into welter. But if he insists on staying @147, then he needs to step his game up
Dolimite
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 24 2014, 11:32 PM) *
Fight khan

That would be fun.
wolterb
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 25 2014, 10:53 AM) *
That would be fun.

That WOULD be fun...that'd be a solid co-bout. I wonder if both parties could come to an agreement though. both have a lot to lose and both are dangerous in their own ways.
Dolimite
Keith Thurman just called out AB. That would be an interesting match. I am with Chi and I said this in another Thread, AB's power or skill set does not favor him at 147. Broner showed tremendous heart by fighting back against Broner, the kid is tough, he just has to put it all together.
Cshel86
Peterson at 140...unless they're saving Lamont for a Garcia clash at the end of the year.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 25 2014, 12:44 PM) *
Peterson at 140...unless they're saving Lamont for a Garcia clash at the end of the year.

I think Showtime wants to save Lamont for Garcia! I honestly think they have another fighter lined up for AB. Why not make it Argentina vs. USA. You can have Matthysse (remember before Garcia he a bunch of fans) vs. Broner and then Marcos vs. Floyd. It makes sense. Both Matthysse and Broner are coming off a loss and loss to men they were suppose to beat. It makes sense.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 25 2014, 03:01 PM) *
I think Showtime wants to save Lamont for Garcia! I honestly think they have another fighter lined up for AB. Why not make it Argentina vs. USA. You can have Matthysse (remember before Garcia he a bunch of fans) vs. Broner and then Marcos vs. Floyd. It makes sense. Both Matthysse and Broner are coming off a loss and loss to men they were suppose to beat. It makes sense.

It'll only make sense if they don't give a shit about Broner's career, lol. Lucas isn't a world-beater, but it's best that Broner stays away from in the meantime. I honestly believe that the Maidana fight was harder for Broner, than a Matthysse fight would be...but they just need to be careful with him.

Thing is, the opponent has to be somewhat noteworthy, IF Broner fights on the card. The thing is, will Broner be the co-feature, or the second bout? If Khan is on the card as well, then that's gonna cause an uproar, because both of them can go on and make million dollar paydays outside of the card. Having both of them on the card, will effect the budget...well, in other words, they'd have to be willing to take a heavy paycut.

If they want to give Broner and/or Khan anywhere from 800k - 1M, then they both can't be on the card, and their opponent is gonna have to be willing to take a significantly lower cut of the purse...somewhere between 100k and 300k.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 25 2014, 12:30 PM) *
It'll only make sense if they don't give a shit about Broner's career, lol. Lucas isn't a world-beater, but it's best that Broner stays away from in the meantime. I honestly believe that the Maidana fight was harder for Broner, than a Matthysse fight would be...but they just need to be careful with him.

Thing is, the opponent has to be somewhat noteworthy, IF Broner fights on the card. The thing is, will Broner be the co-feature, or the second bout? If Khan is on the card as well, then that's gonna cause an uproar, because both of them can go on and make million dollar paydays outside of the card. Having both of them on the card, will effect the budget...well, in other words, they'd have to be willing to take a heavy paycut.

If they want to give Broner and/or Khan anywhere from 800k - 1M, then they both can't be on the card, and their opponent is gonna have to be willing to take a significantly lower cut of the purse...somewhere between 100k and 300k.

I doubt if Khan wants to be on the undercard he was suppose to be the main feature. That is like the chic you asked out told you fuck no I am going with your best friend but you and my sister can double date with us. You would be like "ho, please!" That has happened to me before... my life man!
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 25 2014, 01:32 AM) *
Fight khan

Agree.
Jovi
Cshel took the words out my mouth. If they don't care about Broner's career they will put him in against Matthysse... The thing is Matthysse fought with Garcia at 140 right? Either way I'd take Matthysse over Broner all day, Regardless of what Garcia did.

I just read that they want Broner vs Collazo, which sounds like a much safer comeback fight, but not a guaranteed win.... Leave Matthysse for Thurman, I only see this fight ending by KO.

But as earlier mentioned, the names connected may effect budget. Even though Broner only made 1.something mill his last fight he'd get the most out of the rest of the undercard with Matthysse and Thurman probably both making alittle under a mill, or a good mill after the PPV... And another thing, isn't there supposed to be another TMT fighter on the undercard?

Hopefully its a 4 fight card, Adding Matthysse, Broner, and Thurman on that card definitely will make Showtime profit. Aside from it being a Mayweather fight it could be the best fight card of the year, if they manage it right.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 25 2014, 12:31 PM) *
Keith Thurman just called out AB. That would be an interesting match. I am with Chi and I said this in another Thread, AB's power or skill set does not favor him at 147. Broner showed tremendous heart by fighting back against Broner, the kid is tough, he just has to put it all together.

Why wouldn't he? Everybody wants a piece of Broner now, even Mayfield said he was upset he lost because he claims he wanted to be the one to expose him. Not many said this shit before December keep in mind and that includes Thurman. He acknowledged that down the road they may fight but it wasn't one he sounded overly excited about, now he's calling him out. Everybody's a killer when the gun already went off

But still Broner isn't a welterweight. He needs to take his time and grow into the division and he needs to take his time in the ring and build himself back up. He's barely 5'6, I think even if he does come back and do well that that's going to be an issue going forward for him. He needs a name but not a world beater. Collazo would be a good win for him. I'd make that fight. But a Khan fight interests me as well but I see joining wrong if they took a safer and more suitable route like a Collazo, I would even say JSK but he may clock Broner early
checkleft
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 25 2014, 03:57 PM) *
I doubt if Khan wants to be on the undercard he was suppose to be the main feature. That is like the chic you asked out told you fuck no I am going with your best friend but you and my sister can double date with us. You would be like "ho, please!" That has happened to me before... my life man!

That shouldn't matter to khan. This dude just got pushed aside for a guy he already beat, he needs the exposure and the redemption after a couple of really bad outings. And where better to get exposure than in one of the biggest ppvs of the year.

xxxxxx
It's a good idea as long as he has the right opponent in front of him. If Broner can safely get down to 140, he should. Peterson would be an interesting matchup and hes got a belt.
klonopinz
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 25 2014, 07:12 PM) *
Why wouldn't he? Everybody wants a piece of Broner now, even Mayfield said he was upset he lost because he claims he wanted to be the one to expose him. Not many said this shit before December keep in mind and that includes Thurman. He acknowledged that down the road they may fight but it wasn't one he sounded overly excited about, now he's calling him out. Everybody's a killer when the gun already went off

But still Broner isn't a welterweight. He needs to take his time and grow into the division and he needs to take his time in the ring and build himself back up. He's barely 5'6, I think even if he does come back and do well that that's going to be an issue going forward for him. He needs a name but not a world beater. Collazo would be a good win for him. I'd make that fight. But a Khan fight interests me as well but I see joining wrong if they took a safer and more suitable route like a Collazo, I would even say JSK but he may clock Broner early

i dont know if collazo would be a good idea. collazo might end up pulling an upset, and that would reallyyyy fuck up broners comeback. i just dont think its worth it right now to throw broner back in with top weltereights. he is a future star, no need to take another chance. id like to see him in with zab judah or somebody like that who he can outbox and get some confidence back in his skills.
klonopinz
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 25 2014, 07:18 PM) *
That shouldn't matter to khan. This dude just got pushed aside for a guy he already beat, he needs the exposure and the redemption after a couple of really bad outings. And where better to get exposure than in one of the biggest ppvs of the year.

i wouldnt mind seeing khan against mathysse or khan vs peterson rematch. even kell brook could make for an interesteing fight.
KOpower
Broner vs Berto. That way Berto can upset Broner and we get the fight it seemed we were destined to get...Mayweather vs Berto in September.
Gambit808
Broner-Collazo sounds just right to me.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Feb 26 2014, 04:22 AM) *
Broner-Collazo sounds just right to me.

I think Collazo beats him. He's got just a little more pop than Paulie with a very good boxing IQ and skills to match.
The Original MrFactor
Broner/Alexander anybody?

Personally, I think Broner takes a light touch. Wouldnt be surprised to see a Paulie rematch considered OR a Juan Urango match.
mrchitown
QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 25 2014, 07:40 PM) *
i dont know if collazo would be a good idea. collazo might end up pulling an upset, and that would reallyyyy fuck up broners comeback. i just dont think its worth it right now to throw broner back in with top weltereights. he is a future star, no need to take another chance. id like to see him in with zab judah or somebody like that who he can outbox and get some confidence back in his skills.

Yeah Collazo might, doesn't mean he will. Collazo has been on a roll as of late but he's nobody to shy away from. Zab, I think would beat Collazo. Collazo's imo beat Berto when they fought but it was a close fight. Ortiz was tagging him nicely until he got caught, and some think Ortiz could've gotten up. I don't see Collazo beating Broner except thru activity, which could happen because Broner doesn't throw enough but I don't see enough in Collazo as to where if I'm Haymon I would not make that fight
Cshel86
Collazo may be a good fit for him...he doesn't need to be in there with big WWs like Berto, Thurman, JSK, etc. As Chi mentioned, Broner is a small WW, and to me, he doesn't do enough to keep guys off of him. We always look at how big Floyd's opponents are, but his skill and ability to control the pace (and keep guys off of him), proves that size isn't always a factor.
Franchize
QUOTE (KOpower @ Feb 25 2014, 10:31 PM) *
Broner vs Berto. That way Berto can upset Broner and we get the fight it seemed we were destined to get...Mayweather vs Berto in September.

No No No and No. Nobody wants to see the battle of the badly taught shoulder rolls lol

Broner/Alexander anybody?

I kiiiiiiinda don't wanna see Alexander's face for a while....so I'm gonna say no.

Broner vs Guerrero

Malinaggi vs Thurman

Porter vs Collazo

Khan vs Brook

All but one fight has bad blood.
AZWildCat
Word is Thurman mathesse is near finalizing ...Devon's camp asked for Berto....an Khan broner is my pick..the all access would be ridiculous ...
Dolimite
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 27 2014, 12:20 PM) *
Word is Thurman mathesse is near finalizing ...Devon's camp asked for Berto....an Khan broner is my pick..the all access would be ridiculous ...

Yo that is a sick undercard! Berto and Ortiz would be SICK as well.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 27 2014, 03:54 PM) *
Yo that is a sick undercard! Berto and Ortiz would be SICK as well.

I don't think the berto Alexander will make may 3 undercard ...they just asked for the fight
TheCritics
Schaefer won't put Khan on the card since he didn't get the fight, Matthysse/Thurman/Porter are too much for Broner at this time, so that leaves a Paulie rematch, Collazo or a Peterson scrap at 140
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 27 2014, 02:20 PM) *

AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 27 2014, 09:56 PM) *

You making me feel bad cstew
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 27 2014, 02:20 PM) *

Thurman will whoop Matthysse easy. Shot Berto may upset Alexander. Khan/Broner would make the Mayweather card worth getting. Thats a better fight than the main event.
Cshel86
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 27 2014, 10:36 PM) *
You making me feel bad cstew

I think the Thurman/Matthysse thing threw me off...seems like they don't really care about Matthysse's career...or maybe that shot against Danny was "his chance" and he blew it. Who knows though, lol.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2014, 12:35 PM) *
I think the Thurman/Matthysse thing threw me off...seems like they don't really care about Matthysse's career...or maybe that shot against Danny was "his chance" and he blew it. Who knows though, lol.

3 strikes is usually the norm unless your name is zab lol
Jovi
As much as I mess with Thurman, Matthysse has a very high chance of pulling the upset. The only thing is that weight, if they were both already 147 then I'd be all for it, but Matthysse would be at the disadvantage with the weight move up and coming off a loss. If this fight turns out action packed like i think it would, then even with a loss, no fighter would take a big career blow.

If Thurman can't get Matthysse then i would love Thurman vs Broner. or Thurman vs Khan. Ill take Thurman in both of those fights... I like Malinaggi too much now to see him in there with Thurman. Broner beat Paulie, Khan murked Paulie, I don't see anything good coming from fighting Thurman.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.