Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto in driver's seat for big buck$ with Martinez win
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
First of all, this is such an interesting fight. We have no idea which Martinez will show. A recovered Martinez should be too much for Cotto, but I think Cotto can beat a diminished Martinez. If Cotto becomes the lineal MW champ, he is in incredible position to make a ton of money in his next fight. While some are far-fetched, let's just entertain the ideas:

1) Mayweather rematch - This fight just makes too much sense from both a money and a legacy standpoint. I think it's a no-brainer call for Floyd, one of his most exciting options and a chance to get that historical notch on the belt of being MW champ. Cotto will have plenty of leverage though.

2) Canelo fight - This is another big money PPV for Cotto. It will sell like crazy, though less than a Floyd fight would sell. If he was supposedly getting $15 mil for Canelo now, imagine when he is the champ and a Mayweather fight is an option.

3) Pacquiao rematch - This is a bit of a stretch, but I see Bob Arum at least trying to bid for another Top Rank fight for Cotto. This would be historic for Manny as well (they're not above asking for a catchweight of 155), and it would give Cotto a chance to avenge his KO loss. Plus it would give Top Rank another carrot to get Manny to re-sign. If nothing else, Arum could use this chip to get Cotto more money at the table with Floyd. The biggest roadblock, which is most probably a deal-breaker, is that both are trained by Roach.

4) Chavez fight - This fight is the biggest stretch, as it's doubtful if Chavez could make the weight. If he could, it would be an exciting fight that would continue the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry (as would Canelo) and sell big time.

While it's certainly no given that Cotto wins and that the other guys win their next fights, it sure will be fun to watch the aftermath of such a victory. While it seems so obvious that a Mayweather rematch would happen next, you just never know. What do you think Cotto would do if he were to beat Martinez?
TheCritics
Cotto fans are so funny, he isn't even a legit 154 lber to me, this is just a lazy attempt at a money grab in the twilight of his career... how does he keep Sergio off him for 12 rounds? #mismatch
Franchize
Cotto winning this fight put's him in the driver seat to fight anyone he wants really. I don't think he's going to beat Sergio (unless he isn't 100%) but if he does, I'd LOVE to see a Mayweather/Cotto 2 in Madison Square Garden! As a NYer and a boxing fan, this would be amazing to watch. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a rich man but I'd have to invest to see this.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Mar 2 2014, 04:20 PM) *
First of all, this is such an interesting fight. We have no idea which Martinez will show. A recovered Martinez should be too much for Cotto, but I think Cotto can beat a diminished Martinez. If Cotto becomes the lineal MW champ, he is in incredible position to make a ton of money in his next fight. While some are far-fetched, let's just entertain the ideas:

1) Mayweather rematch - This fight just makes too much sense from both a money and a legacy standpoint. I think it's a no-brainer call for Floyd, one of his most exciting options and a chance to get that historical notch on the belt of being MW champ. Cotto will have plenty of leverage though.

2) Canelo fight - This is another big money PPV for Cotto. It will sell like crazy, though less than a Floyd fight would sell. If he was supposedly getting $15 mil for Canelo now, imagine when he is the champ and a Mayweather fight is an option.

3) Pacquiao rematch - This is a bit of a stretch, but I see Bob Arum at least trying to bid for another Top Rank fight for Cotto. This would be historic for Manny as well (they're not above asking for a catchweight of 155), and it would give Cotto a chance to avenge his KO loss. Plus it would give Top Rank another carrot to get Manny to re-sign. If nothing else, Arum could use this chip to get Cotto more money at the table with Floyd. The biggest roadblock, which is most probably a deal-breaker, is that both are trained by Roach.

4) Chavez fight - This fight is the biggest stretch, as it's doubtful if Chavez could make the weight. If he could, it would be an exciting fight that would continue the Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry (as would Canelo) and sell big time.

While it's certainly no given that Cotto wins and that the other guys win their next fights, it sure will be fun to watch the aftermath of such a victory. While it seems so obvious that a Mayweather rematch would happen next, you just never know. What do you think Cotto would do if he were to beat Martinez?

I think Cotto should immediately call for a rematch with Floyd if he beats Martinez but it is still unlikely that he wins vs Floyd no matter what weight the fight takes place at. I can't see Manny rematching Cotto especially if it's anything above 147, even if it does happen ROB Arum will specify that he wants Miguel to drain to 145 before it happens for Cotto's title at 160. Chavez is just too big for Miguel so I don't see that as an option at all but if MC does win and does not get the FMJr rematch then he should go for one of the other guys at 160 like 3G.
Marcus
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Mar 2 2014, 05:20 PM) *

Miguel would have many doors open if he wins. Also dont forget him and Quillin Could unify at the barlcays or garden. both have a ny fan base and imagine malinaggi on the undercard fighting Danny in his 1st fight at 147- PR and NYc fans would go nuts here. Fight would sell out here in a day. If Cotto looks great he should go for GGG ppv or Quillin, then a canelo ppv then go out on top as an unified lineal first PR MW champ or wait for Floyd. As Floyd Continues to unify titles at 147, in 1 year (sep 2015) or 2 years if Floyd decides to go for a 50th win, Mayweather-Cotto 2 could be huge (contigent on whether they continue winning). That would be a huge legacy/retirement fight for either as long as they continue to win. Cotto is in the best position in boxing right now after Floyd and even better than Floyd opponent wise. If he beats sergio, he can go after a GGG ppv/unification on hbo this year, then a Quillin unification and a Canelo ppv next year on Showtime. To bad i want Martine to punish Cotto lol Theres just something about the HW, WW, and MW titltes that make them so muh more legenday than any other title...
mrchitown
Ain't no way in hell a Pacquiao rematch happening. Manny has seen his limitations, it's a reason he hadn't fought at 154 since Margarito. He can't take it physically and imo that fight started his downfall

If he fought Canelo or a Floyd he'd still be the B-side of the promotion. All that shit he did to Martinez would be done to him by Mayweather or Canelo...doesn't matter though as I don't see him winning against Martinez no way
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 2 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Cotto winning this fight put's him in the driver seat to fight anyone he wants really. I don't think he's going to beat Sergio (unless he isn't 100%) but if he does, I'd LOVE to see a Mayweather/Cotto 2 in Madison Square Garden! As a NYer and a boxing fan, this would be amazing to watch. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a rich man but I'd have to invest to see this.

I'd rather it be at Yankee Stadiumn don't get me wrong MSG is cool too. But maybe I'm thinking too much basketball since the Knicks suck ass every year so I guess they need something that's actually entertaining there. Still don't see Mayweather fighting nowhere but Vegas. I'd like to see the pitches on himself giving up a huge chunk of his income to fight somewhere other then Vegas
Dolimite
Cotto maybe getting paid. but he is going to take a costly ass kicking. Sergio is physically bigger than Cotto, and he hits hard. Sergio has great foot work and is elusive on defense when he wants to be. I don't even see Cotto winning a round, I know that sounds bad but unless Sergio gets old instantly, this fight is lopsided
AZWildCat
IF cotto wins Floyd would be his #1 choice money wise ggg #2 glory wise and canelo:angulo winner rivalry wise. He can cash out, monster mash out or bust a "SHANE" and ride that horse into the sunset out!

This is boxing and anything can happen on any given night.
Franchize
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 2 2014, 10:50 PM) *
I'd rather it be at Yankee Stadiumn don't get me wrong MSG is cool too. But maybe I'm thinking too much basketball since the Knicks suck ass every year so I guess they need something that's actually entertaining there. Still don't see Mayweather fighting nowhere but Vegas. I'd like to see the pitches on himself giving up a huge chunk of his income to fight somewhere other then Vegas

I don't see it happening in any place but Vegas either but trust me, MSG is way bigger than Yankee Stadium. Maybe if it was the old Yankee stadium. They don't call it the greatest arena in the world for no reason. There's something magical about that place. And you're right, my Knicks suck but we STILL have the most valuable franchise in the NBA. It's because of MSG. Plus, they have that new glass catwalk. NYC in general will have the better crowd over Vegas, with the gigantic Puerto Rican population in NY. I think the atmosphere would second to only Mayweather vs Hatton.
Cshel86
Cotto gets beat into retirement on June 7th...
TheCritics
Miguel beat a complete no-hoper in Delvin and his fans have immediately ran with the narrative of "he's back", "Roach is amazing", "top notch fighter" utter nonsense... this beating Sergio puts on him will be very gratifying (smh)
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 3 2014, 11:36 AM) *
I don't see it happening in any place but Vegas either but trust me, MSG is way bigger than Yankee Stadium. Maybe if it was the old Yankee stadium. They don't call it the greatest arena in the world for no reason. There's something magical about that place. And you're right, my Knicks suck but we STILL have the most valuable franchise in the NBA. It's because of MSG. Plus, they have that new glass catwalk. NYC in general will have the better crowd over Vegas, with the gigantic Puerto Rican population in NY. I think the atmosphere would second to only Mayweather vs Hatton.

Idk. I live NY. Some of the best times I've had were there. And I've attended a Cotto fight at MSG and the atmosphere is pretty live but I haven't seen anything from a boxing standpoint that jumps over Vegas. I only said Yankee Stadium because it holds more people and I think boxing needs to move out of a Barclays or an MSG and hit a stadium every now and then. Joe Louis fought at Comiskey Park, you had boxers who fought at the old Yankee Stadium. Time to do something different
TheCritics
mrchitown, having the ability to hold more people does nothing for me, see Pac-Clottey at Jerrys World, but I digress... I've also been to Cotto MSG fights against Shane and Clottey and it was electric both times

so probably not better than MGM for the week leading up but just as good on fight night to me
Hotsauce
cotto/floyd 2 in msg would be a crazy ass atmosphere
mrchitown
QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 3 2014, 05:32 PM) *
mrchitown, having the ability to hold more people does nothing for me, see Pac-Clottey at Jerrys World, but I digress... I've also been to Cotto MSG fights against Shane and Clottey and it was electric both times

so probably not better than MGM for the week leading up but just as good on fight night to me

So let me get this right...because it does nothing for you means what to me exactly? lmao

I'm looking at it in a historical sense...when you look through the history of boxing some of the best fights happened at soldier field or Comiskey Park here in Chicago or at Yankee Stadium and at MSG if course. But personally for a fight like that, if I was advising Mayweather I wouldn't bother fighting at MSG when it's a historical fight for him. You've got the 1st and probably the 2nd ppv draws in the sport fighting for the MW crown and add to that the Mayweather effect. Idk but I wouldn't put it at MSG. Maybe it's just me. I think people want him to fight there because other past legends did
TheCritics
here we go with the ole "back in the days talk"... this is not back in the effin days bruh, and just like you have your historical preference of fighters in oversized stadiums where the sight lines suck, I'll prefer my arenas where you can feel the electricity with every punch

somebody tell this dude bigger isn't always better, the MGM just garnered the BIGGEST GROSSING EVENT EVER last year in case you didn't know this, NOT Cowboy stadium filled up with $10-25 seats... people who spend money don't want to be sitting with 60k novice fans, rather 18k choice seats
mrchitown
QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 4 2014, 08:37 PM) *
here we go with the ole "back in the days talk"... this is not back in the effin days bruh, and just like you have your historical preference of fighters in oversized stadiums where the sight lines suck, I'll prefer my arenas where you can feel the electricity with every punch

somebody tell this dude bigger isn't always better, the MGM just garnered the BIGGEST GROSSING EVENT EVER last year in case you didn't know this, NOT Cowboy stadium filled up with $10-25 seats... people who spend money don't want to be sitting with 60k novice fans, rather 18k choice seats

It's all subjective. You have your way of seeing it and I have mine. Accept it or not. I don't really care. But I'd rather see it in a bigger arena then some place like MSG..last year there was a card at US Cellular field here in Chicago and the atmosphere was just as electric as it would've been in an MSG or a United Center or a Staples center. Fans provide the atmosphere that kinda stuff not an arena

Stop bringing up a Pacquiao fight that we all knew wasn't big in the first place. What that fight did do was enhance the legacy of Manny. And there were writers and fans alike that night who believe the atmosphere was electric. You can feel the electricity anywhere, an arena doesn't hold a patent on that. And yes I know Floyd just fought in the biggest grossing fight of all time, I attended the fight. But I don't share your sentiments in this regard. Why at MSG? Why not at the Barclays in BK? I think it would be selling the fight short to put it at a place like the garden
Cshel86
I just don't like the idea of Cotto "being in the driver's seat". Anytime he has control of his career, he does silly stuff...like moving up to fight an athletic, full-blown MW in Martinez. Truthfully, I wouldn't even think about a Floyd rematch, since Cotto's put himself in front of yet another roadblock, where he's clearly "outskilled'.

For those that are secretly hoping that Sergio gets old overnight, has another thing coming. He had nothing to truly gain in the Murray fight, but here's his chance to beat a HOF and give himself more drawing power, possibly. He did the same thing in the Trout fight, and look where it got him...now he HAS to do silly stuff like move up in weight, just to "keep the fire alive", so to speak.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 3 2014, 11:38 AM) *
Cotto gets beat into retirement on June 7th...

He is going to get the Paul Williams treatment. Just horrible!
mrchitown
Cshel, Dolomite, I have to agree with you guys. I think this will be all for nothing because I fully expect Martinez to come out victorious in June....and like Cshel said, Cotto is not the most businesses savvy guy out there. I think the worse decision he made was to fight Trout. Cotto has the rep of fighting any and all comers but check out his opponents to get those title belts in recent yrs. Remember he fought some no hoper for the WBO belt @147, then he fought Yuri Foreman for the belt @154, then he went at Trout and it finally backfired on him

He picks title holders who he thinks pose little risk to him , it's going to backfire on him again when he faces Martinez
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 5 2014, 09:23 AM) *
Cshel, Dolomite, I have to agree with you guys. I think this will be all for nothing because I fully expect Martinez to come out victorious in June....and like Cshel said, Cotto is not the most businesses savvy guy out there. I think the worse decision he made was to fight Trout. Cotto has the rep of fighting any and all comers but check out his opponents to get those title belts in recent yrs. Remember he fought some no hoper for the WBO belt @147, then he fought Yuri Foreman for the belt @154, then he went at Trout and it finally backfired on him

He picks title holders who he thinks pose little risk to him , it's going to backfire on him again when he faces Martinez

Roach is his trainer, all offensive, little concern for strategic fighting. Cotto left himself open too many times against Delvin. Sergio will make him pay dearly. They may have to stop this fight.
TheCritics
MSG, Barclays and the MGM are the same to me... same as Comisky, Cowboy and Yankee stadium

I understand your point, we just disagree here, also MSG was quiet during rounds 11 and 12 for Cotto-Clottey when 90% in attendance felt their countryman had lost, lead to many Rican-Ghanian skirmishes in the aisles
mrchitown
QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 5 2014, 12:52 PM) *
MSG, Barclays and the MGM are the same to me... same as Comisky, Cowboy and Yankee stadium

I understand your point, we just disagree here, also MSG was quiet during rounds 11 and 12 for Cotto-Clottey when 90% in attendance felt their countryman had lost, lead to many Rican-Ghanian skirmishes in the aisles

I learn something new everyday, I didn't know that but i can see why they were upset because I felt Miguel lost to Clottey
mrchitown
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 5 2014, 12:03 PM) *
Roach is his trainer, all offensive, little concern for strategic fighting. Cotto left himself open too many times against Delvin. Sergio will make him pay dearly. They may have to stop this fight.

I don't believe Roach would stop the fight. I think he'd let Cotto get beat on and that's what I expect to happen. It's true that the body punching Cotto appears to be back but he's sacrificed some defense to do so.
TheCritics
I felt he lost too, so did my entire section of ole head Puertorock die hards... they were happy Cotto got the nod when announced but taking a vote among us talking all felt Clottey won
Dolimite
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 5 2014, 12:11 PM) *
I don't believe Roach would stop the fight. I think he'd let Cotto get beat on and that's what I expect to happen. It's true that the body punching Cotto appears to be back but he's sacrificed some defense to do so.

The ref or a doctor.
AZWildCat
I'd say ref if it comes to that point
BoxingStill#1
Yall killing me with this "if he's not 100%" ish...

When has Martinez not come into a fight 100%. Plus he's been begging for a Cotto fight for years now so you don't think he will get up for this fight?
It's like and excuse is already forming.

If Cotto beats him it would be a solid victory. Both are on the decline.

Edit: Imo btw, Cotto loses, simply because of too much size. His punches were bouncing off of Trout.. what is supposed to happen with a full middle?
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 8 2014, 04:05 PM) *
Yall killing me with this "if he's not 100%" ish...

When has Martinez not come into a fight 100%. Plus he's been begging for a Cotto fight for years now so you don't think he will get up for this fight?
It's like and excuse is already forming.

If Cotto beats him it would be a solid victory. Both are on the decline.

Edit: Imo btw, Cotto loses, simply because of too much size. His punches were bouncing off of Trout.. what is supposed to happen with a full middle?

What did I tell you about speaking the truth??? Shame on you!
Col Reb
I wasn't saying that I'm picking Cotto, but that's not why I started this thread.

What I want to get your opinions on is whom do you think Cotto would fight next if he were to beat Martinez. What direction would he go, given he can work with any promoter and can theoretically get the big money names in the ring.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Mar 10 2014, 11:15 AM) *
I wasn't saying that I'm picking Cotto, but that's not why I started this thread.

What I want to get your opinions on is whom do you think Cotto would fight next if he were to beat Martinez. What direction would he go, given he can work with any promoter and can theoretically get the big money names in the ring.

Easy, Canelo.
Dolimite
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-cotto-ma...rto-rico--75490

Martinez is going to kill Cotto. Scary!!!!
TheCritics
I disagree that he's in the drivers seat with anything, that 160 trinket is worthless, I for one don't want to see 2 blown up welters fighting for some strap that they won't even defend against anyone else except one another
Cshel86
QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 10 2014, 02:34 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-cotto-ma...rto-rico--75490

Martinez is going to kill Cotto. Scary!!!!

Maaaaan, I saw the pics from Monday...all I can do is shake my head. Styles do make fights, and I'm hoping that Cotto just jumps on him early and stays on him, but this may be a pending death wish for Miguel.

Granted, Martinez is looking his age, maybe because he has to shed a few lbs, but Martinez is in front of the right guy to make him look like the Sergio of 2010 and 2011. Cotto's not gonna lay down, but at this stage of his career and this weight, I take zero pleasure in saying that it will be quite an easy night for Sergio.

Again, Miguel was able to show us a lot of fire in the Mayweather fight, being that he had all of those years to watch him and hone his craft, because he had to know that he was going to fight him one day. The Martinez fight, not so much...this may be another one of the fights "for the fans", but Cotto usually looks like an aging warrior in those fights, because he choose to fight guys with the worst styles...this fight included.

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 10 2014, 02:39 PM) *
I disagree that he's in the drivers seat with anything, that 160 trinket is worthless, I for one don't want to see 2 blown up welters fighting for some strap that they won't even defend against anyone else except one another

Usually, I'd tell a guy who complains about not wanting to see certain fights, to "not watch them" and "spare us the agony of your opinion", but in this case, I couldn't agree with you more. Blown up welterweights fighting at MW, usually consisted of guys are at the end of their career, and they're moving up for bigger paydays (on their terms).

However, some of these divisions still need these stars (from their prior respective divisions) to add some light to the division. It puts me in the mind of guys like Morales, who shouldn't have fought anywhere past 130 lbs, but he came back at 140 (I believe he fought a couple of unknown cab drivers at 147, but I'm not sure)...he gave the division a breath of life, or a twist, so to speak.

We all remember how promising the 140 lbs division was back from '09-'11, but guys were either moving up to 47, or not fighting the top guys at 140...so he came back and gave it a pretty good run, before he fizzled out. Same with the 168 division, if Sergio moves up there, he can at least give us a few good fights before he calls it a day. If somebody looking for a big break obliterates him, then they could at least build their brand from there.

It's a cycle, but yeah, I get you...people get tired of seeing guys who blown up 2 divisions higher than they're supposed to be, trying to make an easy run in the division. Lol
AZWildCat

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 12 2014, 01:57 PM) *
Maaaaan, I saw the pics from Monday...all I can do is shake my head. Styles do make fights, and I'm hoping that Cotto just jumps on him early and stays on him, but this may be a pending death wish for Miguel.

Granted, Martinez is looking his age, maybe because he has to shed a few lbs, but Martinez is in front of the right guy to make him look like the Sergio of 2010 and 2011. Cotto's not gonna lay down, but at this stage of his career and this weight, I take zero pleasure in saying that it will be quite an easy night for Sergio.

Again, Miguel was able to show us a lot of fire in the Mayweather fight, being that he had all of those years to watch him and hone his craft, because he had to know that he was going to fight him one day. The Martinez fight, not so much...this may be another one of the fights "for the fans", but Cotto usually looks like an aging warrior in those fights, because he choose to fight guys with the worst styles...this fight included.

Usually, I'd tell a guy who complains about not wanting to see certain fights, to "not watch them" and "spare us the agony of your opinion", but in this case, I couldn't agree with you more. Blown up welterweights fighting at MW, usually consisted of guys are at the end of their career, and they're moving up for bigger paydays (on their terms).

However, some of these divisions still need these stars (from their prior respective divisions) to add some light to the division. It puts me in the mind of guys like Morales, who shouldn't have fought anywhere past 130 lbs, but he came back at 140 (I believe he fought a couple of unknown cab drivers at 147, but I'm not sure)...he gave the division a breath of life, or a twist, so to speak.

We all remember how promising the 140 lbs division was back from '09-'11, but guys were either moving up to 47, or not fighting the top guys at 140...so he came back and gave it a pretty good run, before he fizzled out. Same with the 168 division, if Sergio moves up there, he can at least give us a few good fights before he calls it a day. If somebody looking for a big break obliterates him, then they could at least build their brand from there.

It's a cycle, but yeah, I get you...people get tired of seeing guys who blown up 2 divisions higher than they're supposed to be, trying to make an easy run in the division. Lol

Morales came back fighting! He may not have won em all/or in spectacular fashion but to his credit. Did better than karass Lopez & broner against maidana. Did better than Shane and Pauline against Cano (which he stopped). And in the first Garcia fight looked better than zab and Lucas and Khan. For being past his prime he handled himself fairly well. If he had a strength coach and some type of dietary guidance he might have looked alot better. Instead of struggling to make weight and fighting off of pure instinct, I guess he was to arrogant or cheap for that type of help i guess. Probably could have came back at 130 matter of fact. Imagine if he had memo for the 3 pac fights lol. Yea 140 was stacked at that time alot of people have fizzled out or moved up since then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.