Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Sr.'s Between Round Advise/Instruction very WEAK
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kevinwhite
Floyd Sr.'s Between Round Advice/Instruction very WEAK!!!

Floyd Jr. seems to be on his own when it comes to in-fight adjustments. As far as training goes, it looks like Floyd Jr. is his own trainer from what we see on All Access, FightHype.com, etc.

Floyd Sr. & Roger do not look like or sound like trainer & cornermen in control. (Roach, Garcia)

Seems like Floyd is following his own instinct and 19yr boxing wisdom to train himself & think himself thru the in-fight adjustments/tactical strategies.

Floyd Sr. & Roger seem like old chanting cheerleaders, who serve more like moral support.

Floyd Sr. & Roger don't seem like trainers in control of a fighter,... more like the fighter is the one in control and does what he feels needs to be done.

Anyone else see this? It seems like a weakness at this point of Floyds career when he could use help making the adjustment to training as a fighter closing in on 39yrs old as he tries to complete this showtime fight deal.
klonopinz
QUOTE (kevinwhite @ May 4 2014, 10:52 PM) *

Floyd Jr. seems to be on his own when it comes to in-fight adjustments. As far as training goes, it looks like Floyd Jr. is his own trainer from what we see on All Access, FightHype.com, etc.

Floyd Sr. & Roger do not look like or sound like trainer & cornermen in control. (Roach, Garcia)

Seems like Floyd is following his own instinct and 19yr boxing wisdom to train himself & think himself thru the in-fight adjustments/tactical strategies.

Floyd Sr. & Roger seem like old chanting cheerleaders, who serve more like moral support.

Floyd Sr. & Roger don't seem like trainers in control of a fighter,... more like the fighter is the one in control and does what he feels needs to be done.

Anyone else see this? It seems like a weakness at this point of Floyds career when he could use help making the adjustment to training as a fighter closing in on 39yrs old as he tries to complete this showtime fight deal.

they might have discussed a thourough game plan in training camp and floyd may have been folloing it to a tee, therefore no need for seriuous corner aadvice. not to mention by now floyd knows wtf he gotta do, hes alredy doing everything floyd sr ould need to tell him to do, its like an a-student, hes already answered all the questions correct on the test the first time around, so there is no need to correct him on anything. if floyd was getting worked over, then it would probably be different. all i remember was sr telling him to dig hard to the body, which he did with right hooks and right uppercuts to maidanas kidneys and stomach. my 2 cents
mitukczuk
Nothing wrong about knowing what and how to train at this stage of his career. I don't think this is an issue. Look at B-Hop...do you think Naz actually trains him? He even admits B-Hop trains himself from the most part, and that he is there just to control him.

So...no.
mrchitown
Get outta here with this bs, he guided Floyd to 2 of his best performances in recent memory in 2013 and now because he's in one tough fight Roger and Sr advice is weak. Man please...and Jeff Mayweather is a better trainer then Roach who you mentioned.
Dolimite
Floyd admitted that his dad gave him a great game plan but he didn't follow it.
Franchize
When Sr told Floyd to go to the body more, he did so and it made all the difference in the fight. Floyd was tearing Maidana's mid section up after the 6th round. Against Cotto, I thought it was a combination of Floyd wanting to mix it up and Miguel forcing him to. With Maidana, it just seemed like Floyd wanting to mix it up. Maidana couldn't do anything to close the distance. It seemed as if Floyd Sr and Jr came into the fight with the mindset that they were gonna trade with this dude because he was too slow to land anything flush. Maidana made it a rough and tumble fight, but very few punches landed flush on Floyd's face. I don't see how it was necessarily bad instruction. Maybe a bad idea to decide to do that in the first place. But as far as in fight adjustments, I thought Sr did a good job.

Also, please don't mention Roach and Garcia ever again lol Roach hasn't produced one fight who knows how to cut off a ring or that doesn't back str8 out with his hands down yet. Garcia's fighters, outside of Mikey Garcia, are all the same. Mini Margaritos lol If you are still looking to your trainer to figure guys out this late in your career, you are ripe for a KO loss.
Dolimite
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 5 2014, 04:55 AM) *
When Sr told Floyd to go to the body more, he did so and it made all the difference in the fight. Floyd was tearing Maidana's mid section up after the 6th round. Against Cotto, I thought it was a combination of Floyd wanting to mix it up and Miguel forcing him to. With Maidana, it just seemed like Floyd wanting to mix it up. Maidana couldn't do anything to close the distance. It seemed as if Floyd Sr and Jr came into the fight with the mindset that they were gonna trade with this dude because he was too slow to land anything flush. Maidana made it a rough and tumble fight, but very few punches landed flush on Floyd's face. I don't see how it was necessarily bad instruction. Maybe a bad idea to decide to do that in the first place. But as far as in fight adjustments, I thought Sr did a good job.

Also, please don't mention Roach and Garcia ever again lol Roach hasn't produced one fight who knows how to cut off a ring or that doesn't back str8 out with his hands down yet. Garcia's fighters, outside of Mikey Garcia, are all the same. Mini Margaritos lol If you are still looking to your trainer to figure guys out this late in your career, you are ripe for a KO loss.

Agreed. When Floyd sta tearing the mid section and ribs Maidana slowed down. He never hurt Floyd. It was a good fight. Everyone won.
MAHDI
QUOTE (klonopinz @ May 5 2014, 12:10 AM) *
they might have discussed a thourough game plan in training camp and floyd may have been folloing it to a tee, therefore no need for seriuous corner aadvice. not to mention by now floyd knows wtf he gotta do, hes alredy doing everything floyd sr ould need to tell him to do, its like an a-student, hes already answered all the questions correct on the test the first time around, so there is no need to correct him on anything. if floyd was getting worked over, then it would probably be different. all i remember was sr telling him to dig hard to the body, which he did with right hooks and right uppercuts to maidanas kidneys and stomach. my 2 cents

Floyd Sr may be said to have given weak instructions and that PERCEPTION MAY be prevalent in some heads because there was never a sense of urgency in this bout. Floyd was in control
mitukczuk
I remember Sr told Floyd to sit down on his punches and that's exactly what Money did and it made the difference as he started to put his punches together. I think we underestimate the father-son relationship and the fact that no matter the family feuds or whatnot, Sr taught Floyd how to box. He knows him better than anyone else inside the ring. I am sure he doesn't even have to say shit for Floyd to understand what he needs to do. Same with Roger..I can't remember what fight it was but he didn't say ANYTHING during the whole minute and Floyd just went in and did what he had to do. Mayweathers are a smart boxing bunch. They know their shit.
mrchitown
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 5 2014, 01:13 PM) *
I remember Sr told Floyd to sit down on his punches and that's exactly what Money did and it made the difference as he started to put his punches together. I think we underestimate the father-son relationship and the fact that no matter the family feuds or whatnot, Sr taught Floyd how to box. He knows him better than anyone else inside the ring. I am sure he doesn't even have to say shit for Floyd to understand what he needs to do. Same with Roger..I can't remember what fight it was but he didn't say ANYTHING during the whole minute and Floyd just went in and did what he had to do. Mayweathers are a smart boxing bunch. They know their shit.

Great post. I agree 100% with what you said
Dolimite
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 5 2014, 11:13 AM) *

Sad part is, they don't get the credit they deserves. Spot on post.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 5 2014, 02:13 PM) *

Absolutely hate this post...makes too much sense...
Hotsauce
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 5 2014, 01:13 PM) *

This
TheCritics
the OP said Roach gives clear instruction in the corner?... with all the shaking and stuttering how is that possible?

also, unless you are in the damn corner for the full amount of time, how can you actually base what is being said within the 10 secs the networks show you?

Sr was telling Floyd to sit down and dig... meaning middle of the ring, Floyd didn't listen and had his own gameplan
DiamantHB
QUOTE (TheCritics @ May 7 2014, 12:00 AM) *
the OP said Roach gives clear instruction in the corner?... with all the shaking and stuttering how is that possible?

Dude GTFO, what are you talking about. The man can speak just fine and is perfectly capable of giving instructions to his fighters.

QUOTE (TheCritics @ May 7 2014, 12:00 AM) *
Sr was telling Floyd to sit down and dig... meaning middle of the ring, Floyd didn't listen and had his own gameplan

Sit down and dig doesn't mean middle of the ring. It means stand your ground and dig your punches into the midsection (as opposed to arm punches)
TheCritics
no YOU gtf up outta here... I've seen Shaky utter 3 words in 20 seconds on numerous occasions
checkleft
QUOTE (DiamantHB @ May 8 2014, 03:47 AM) *
Dude GTFO, what are you talking about. The man can speak just fine and is perfectly capable of giving instructions to his fighters.

Sit down and dig doesn't mean middle of the ring. It means stand your ground and dig your punches into the midsection (as opposed to arm punches)

it can mean in the middle of the ring, because of exactly what you said after that, standing you're ground. And digging can also be described as in fighting.

I'm not a big fan of roach, no secret. But he is incredibly hit and miss with his advice, Garcia is much better. If donaire actually trained with him for extended periods he could be elite with the physical skills he possesses. Look at Mikey, he isn't as fast and probably doesn't carry as much power in his division and he for the most part dominates.
TheCritics
this ^^
mgrover
I think Mayweather had his own idea of how he was going to fight Maidana, and all Mayweather Sr, could really do was offer advice to supplement that strategy.

That's if you believe Mayweather fought on the ropes because he wanted to rather than because he had to.
TheCritics
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 8 2014, 08:39 PM) *
I think Mayweather had his own idea of how he was going to fight Maidana, and all Mayweather Sr, could really do was offer advice to supplement that strategy.

That's if you believe Mayweather fought on the ropes because he wanted to rather than because he had to.

I believe it was a little bit of both, Maidana's pressure and Floyd's eagerness to stay there... do you think he couldn't tie him up and reset over and over?
illmatical
I agree to an extent. The first few rounds, Sr didn't have an answer for the rough aggressive style. I would have liked to hear him say "box" or "stay off the ropes"

As the fight progressed, in the later rounds, Sr did advise Floyd to go to the body and that advice was essential.
mgrover
QUOTE (TheCritics @ May 9 2014, 04:15 AM) *
I believe it was a little bit of both, Maidana's pressure and Floyd's eagerness to stay there... do you think he couldn't tie him up and reset over and over?

He was trying to tie him up, its just that Maidana always kept a hand free that he pounded that body, then Weeks seperated them, rather than let them infight.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 9 2014, 05:45 AM) *
He was trying to tie him up, its just that Maidana always kept a hand free that he pounded that body, then Weeks seperated them, rather than let them infight.

Praise the Lord Weeks separated them...who knows if a Muy Thai clinch was on the horizon...
mgrover
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 10 2014, 03:39 AM) *
Praise the Lord Weeks separated them...who knows if a Muy Thai clinch was on the horizon...

we did see a knee in there lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (kevinwhite @ May 4 2014, 09:52 PM) *

if a trainer has to yell and shout in the corner....he hasn't done his job in the gym imo. the way i see it....floyd was never in trouble in that fight. maidana didn't land shit. what adjustment was there to make?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.