Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chegnev-Oquendo (Spoilers-Post Within When Known)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AZWildCat
Shannon got another fight this weekend!!!
If his old ass keeps this pace up this come back could be epic!

Also Tommy Morrisons son is also on this card as an undefeated heavy prospect.
mrchitown
Man ain't nothing epic about Briggs, he just want a payday for another beating
AZWildCat
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 25 2014, 04:00 PM) *
Man ain't nothing epic about Briggs, he just want a payday for another beating

Payday or no payday I love the way he's doing it as long as the comp level rises with it. Its not epic till he gets a title shot and wins ...and ill still say his ass was roid'd up the whole time! Formens come back is hard to duplicate!
Cshel86
That WBC belt aint so hard to snatch up nowadays...I'm wit you Briggs! Lol

mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jun 25 2014, 06:22 PM) *
Payday or no payday I love the way he's doing it as long as the comp level rises with it. Its not epic till he gets a title shot and wins ...and ill still say his ass was roid'd up the whole time! Formens come back is hard to duplicate!

I don't wanna see Briggs in another title fight. I think Jennings, Wilder, and even Jennings beat the piss out of him
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 25 2014, 07:57 PM) *

If that's the case then I'm announcing my pro debut now and I'm going after the green belt, and when I win I'll be sure to thank Al Haymon laugh.gif
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 25 2014, 05:57 PM) *

#roid camp!

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 25 2014, 07:14 PM) *
I don't wanna see Briggs in another title fight. I think Jennings, Wilder, and even Jennings beat the piss out of him

Wilder hell naw but arreola.. lepai...price..solis or Thompson (who was also on a roll for awhile) right up his alley

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 25 2014, 07:15 PM) *
If that's the case then I'm announcing my pro debut now and I'm going after the green belt, and when I win I'll be sure to thank Al Haymon laugh.gif

Lmao
The Original MrFactor
Wilder should fight Briggs. That would instantly be the best guy he's ever faced.
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jun 25 2014, 11:03 PM) *
#roid camp!

Wilder hell naw but arreola.. lepai...price..solis or Thompson (who was also on a roll for awhile) right up his alley

Lmao

Wilder would knock him out during the ring walk, Shannon been done for yrs. he just want a payday, Wilder may have not fought anybody.. Though I rate Scott highly but Briggs doesn't have the chin to stand up to Wilder"so freakish power. It would be like the Fight where Deontay had Sergey flopping like a mermaid on the canvas
KSUN247
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 26 2014, 09:16 PM) *
Wilder would knock him out during the ring walk, Shannon been done for yrs. he just want a payday, Wilder may have not fought anybody.. Though I rate Scott highly but Briggs doesn't have the chin to stand up to Wilder"so freakish power. It would be like the Fight where Deontay had Sergey flopping like a mermaid on the canvas

I agree he's just looking for the payday. I'm not sold on Wilder yet. Want to see him in with better competition and at least see if he can take a punch. If Briggs can withstand the initial onslaught from Wilder, wouldn't he at least try to test his chin with one of those slow wild punches of his? Wilder got buckled from a jab not too long ago. I think the first person to land a decent punch will have Wilder on Easy Street. Then we can see what kind of mettle he has.
AZWildCat
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 25 2014, 10:33 PM) *
Wilder should fight Briggs. That would instantly be the best guy he's ever faced.

Following the Haitian ..I agree

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 27 2014, 12:16 AM) *

Stll a favorite from that year

QUOTE (KSUN247 @ Jun 27 2014, 09:35 AM) *
I agree he's just looking for the payday. I'm not sold on Wilder yet. Want to see him in with better competition and at least see if he can take a punch. If Briggs can withstand the initial onslaught from Wilder, wouldn't he at least try to test his chin with one of those slow wild punches of his? Wilder got buckled from a jab not too long ago. I think the first person to land a decent punch will have Wilder on Easy Street. Then we can see what kind of mettle he has.

I like Wilder vs fury/chirosa winner or povetkin big ruslan ..or who ever wins this. Heavyweight tournament ....
AZWildCat
welp ...shit just got real chi laugh.gif

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/oquendo-ou...-weekend-251619
credit:fightnews.com

his comeback just went next level! with that "epic" possiblity in sight!
Jack 1000
Fightnews is reporting that Oquendo has pulled out and Briggs is trying to convince the WBA to give him the fight. He's been training like hell, But remember that Oquendo has been out of serious contendership for several years. Forget the bullshit "Regular" WBA heavyweight title with this. The important thing is that the winner SHOULD get Waldimar Klitschko maybe in the fall. Shannon Briggs beat George Foreman although controversially for the "real" championship.

Pulling for the fight to be accepted, and for Briggs to do the upset. Chagaev isn't all that anyway. Let's break the Klitchko strong-hold of the last decade. Stiverne-Wilder should be this fall for the WBC title.

Credit: Fightnews: http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/oquendo-ou...-weekend-251619

Jack
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 4 2014, 11:12 AM) *
Fightnews is reporting that Oquendo has pulled out and Briggs is trying to convince the WBA to give him the fight. He's been training like hell, But remember that Oquendo has been out of serious contendership for several years. Forget the bullshit "Regular" WBA heavyweight title with this. The important thing is that the winner SHOULD get Waldimar Klitschko maybe in the fall. Shannon Briggs beat George Foreman although controversially for the "real" championship.

Pulling for the fight to be accepted, and for Briggs to do the upset. Chagaev isn't all that anyway. Let's break the Klitchko strong-hold of the last decade. Stiverne-Wilder should be this fall for the WBC title.

Jack

im wit you jack id love to see the winner on this WBA match up fight the winner of the WBC then go at Waldimer for Supremacy!
Jack 1000
Now unconfirmed rumors that Oquendo WILL be fighting this weekend:

Fightnews: http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/oquendo-on...-is-a-go-251634

They may play this down to the wire to promote interest in a fight that nobody really cares too much about in the first place.

Jack
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 4 2014, 01:12 PM) *

Jack

Briggs can't even beat a Deontae Wilder, he's never been a special talent and he's a border line solid fighter. He don't deserve shit. The fact that Oquendo and Chagaev is fighting for a belt is already a farce. It's plenty of better and more interesting Hw's then this bum. I'd rather Holyfield come out of retirement and get a shot. He'd do light yrs better then Briggs

mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 4 2014, 03:53 PM) *
Now unconfirmed rumors that Oquendo WILL be fighting this weekend:

Fightnews: http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/oquendo-on...-is-a-go-251634

They may play this down to the wire to promote interest in a fight that nobody really cares too much about in the first place.

Jack

If Hitz said it then it's more fact then rumor. As promoters go and figures in the sport, he's a stand up guys one of the few. It could be to promote and push this circus show they call a fight but I don't care, as long as Briggs is kept in the land of irrelevance
Jack 1000
You can Tweet to the WBA about the absurdity of this fight if you have a Twitter account here:

https://twitter.com/NewsWba

I pointed out that Oquendo has no credentials to be fighting for any kind of belt, and that these kind of fights destroy all credibility to boxing.

Jack
AZWildCat
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 6 2014, 11:22 AM) *
You can Tweet to the WBA about the absurdity of this fight if you have a Twitter account here:

I pointed out that Oquendo has no credentials to be fighting for any kind of belt, and that these kind of fights destroy all credibility to boxing.

Jack

None at all ... I need to reactivate my account
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 6 2014, 01:22 PM) *

Jack

Didn't you want Briggs to get the fight? He ain't qualified either. This whole thing was a farce. Chagaev gon lose the strap soon enough, he can't beat Takam, or the winner of Perez-Jennings. It'll change hands soon
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 6 2014, 11:04 PM) *
Didn't you want Briggs to get the fight? He ain't qualified either. This whole thing was a farce. Chagaev gon lose the strap soon enough, he can't beat Takam, or the winner of Perez-Jennings. It'll change hands soon

Agreed. How did they get a reported 30,000 people for this POS. Chegnev isn't all that.

Jack
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 7 2014, 02:17 AM) *
Agreed. How did they get a reported 30,000 people for this POS. Chegnev isn't all that.

Jack

It was 30k there? That's some good promoting. I saw some images of the fight and it looked pathetic. Everyone around the boxing universe is saying how awful it was to watch. The WBA should be ashamed for sanctioning that fight. But wait there's more, there's a rumor because the fight was so close the WBA may order a rematch
AZWildCat
A rematch for an already suspect match up? Someone is up to no good!
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 4 2014, 11:18 PM) *
Briggs can't even beat a Deontae Wilder, he's never been a special talent and he's a border line solid fighter. He don't deserve shit. The fact that Oquendo and Chagaev is fighting for a belt is already a farce. It's plenty of better and more interesting Hw's then this bum. I'd rather Holyfield come out of retirement and get a shot. He'd do light yrs better then Briggs

Let dat man cook!

laugh.gif
Jack 1000
The thing is though,

As if this fight for any kind of title is bad enough, why Chegnev and Oquendo? There's got to be some forien money going around the WBA's hands because for years, it was Valuev, Ruiz, and Oquendo fighting for some form of "regular" WBA title.

Did you know that Lennox Lewis is to blame for starting this "regular" and "super champion" bullshit? When he was undisputed champion, he thought there should be more time between mandatory defenses for fighters who held more than one belt. I don't know if he actually came up with the "Super Champion", "regular champion" shit, but he mentioned the idea, and the WBA ran with that, Absolute shit!

Normally, I try to defend the alphabet federations, or at least try to understand them, because I work with them from time to time in submitting ideas, and realize their international infrastructure. But sanctioning this as any kind of title fight, almost mandates that somebody come in and issue and investigation and reprimand against the WBA for this farce.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 7 2014, 03:27 PM) *
The thing is though,

As if this fight for any kind of title is bad enough, why Chegnev and Oquendo? There's got to be some forien money going around the WBA's hands because for years, it was Valuev, Ruiz, and Oquendo fighting for some form of "regular" WBA title.

Did you know that Lennox Lewis is to blame for starting this "regular" and "super champion" bullshit? When he was undisputed champion, he thought there should be more time between mandatory defenses for fighters who held more than one belt. I don't know if he actually came up with the "Super Champion", "regular champion" shit, but he mentioned the idea, and the WBA ran with that, Absolute shit!

Normally, I try to defend the alphabet federations, or at least try to understand them, because I work with them from time to time in submitting ideas, and realize their international infrastructure. But sanctioning this as any kind of title fight, almost mandates that somebody come in and issue and investigation and reprimand against the WBA for this farce.

Jack

Get tha F outta here Jack! For real??? I had no idea that they hung on to a fighter's words, corcerns, etc. As you mentioned, Lewis didn't come up with it, but who would've known that a fighter's complaints would cause that type of shift in the organizations rules. Look at me, acting like sanctioning body rules actually matter, Lol
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 7 2014, 02:39 PM) *
Get tha F outta here Jack! For real??? I had no idea that they hung on to a fighter's words, corcerns, etc. As you mentioned, Lewis didn't come up with it, but who would've known that a fighter's complaints would cause that type of shift in the organizations rules. Look at me, acting like sanctioning body rules actually matter, Lol

As I remember,

Lewis wanted more time for champs with multiple belts to defend. The WBA said, "Fine." They grant something like you can have 18 months between their mandatories if you are defending more than one belt. But you can't wait more than 27 months to fight a WBA #1 contender during that time, as a unified belt holder.

If you just hold the WBA title, you are expected to defend it at least once a year. The stupid part is the WBA said, "Lennox's idea allows more time for united belt holders, but we can't have our #1 and #2 guys wait for 18 months (or more.) while a unified champion, "does his thing." (Their words, not mine.) So they created the regular championship belt for the #1 contender and the winner of who he chooses to fight." The whole mess could have been solved by just having the #1 guy fight an "elimination" fight. like at least once a year. Than fight the unified belt holder when his time comes. But don't give a belt to contenders and call it a championship!

Worse, is that neither Chegnev or Oquendo are contenders, certainly not Oquendo. Only reason the fight was close, is that both guys sucked so bad that it was a fight with "even level sucking." The IBF and WBO don't do Super or Regular Belts. The WBC kind of doesn't. They just call fights between the #1 and #2 (or top designated contenders) for the "Silver Title." Their "Diamond Belt" has no rules for title defenses or sanctioning fees. It's commemorative only, giving to two top fighters who engage in a big superfight for their division at the discretion of the WBC Board of Governors.

Jack
mrchitown
QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jul 7 2014, 12:41 PM) *
A rematch for an already suspect match up? Someone is up to no good!

Agreed
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 7 2014, 12:45 PM) *
Let dat man cook!

laugh.gif

No! laugh.gif
mrchitown
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 7 2014, 02:27 PM) *
The thing is though,

Jack

I didn't know Lennox is the cause of this. But it figures, I can't stand his ass, he's one of the most overrated HW champs of all time imo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.