Tuesday night, it was confirmed to jr. middleweight prospect Omar Henry and his team that former Contender participant Walter Wright has withdrawn from the scheduled fight Saturday night at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida. Wright was the 4th opponent who had agreed to the fight with Henry. Henry's trainer, David Ali, reached out to FightHype to clear up some of the confusion and express his displeasure with Walter Wright's decision not tp go through with the fight.
"We're just tired and frustrated and I was hoping and praying that he would show up...This was the 4th different opponent who had agreed to the fight...I'm tired of guys like Ishe Smith and Walter Wright because the'yre never coming to the dinner table to fight us," Ali explained. "Ishe didn't even want to fight Kassim Ouma. It was the perfect opportunity for him to come back and I don't know why he didn't. Same thing with Walter Wright. They make excuses and we have to accommodate him. We give them more money and tell them to come in at whatever weight."
Ali says that within the last week and a half, Walter Wright's camp has tried to come up with different reasons to back out of the fight. "Initially, they were saying they wanted more money. We accommodated that because it was less than 30 days out when they signed the contract. Then they were calling saying they didn't know if he can make weight because he was sick, so we floated them some pounds as long as they didn't come in at 164-165. They said they could come in at like 156-157. We signed an addendum; it wasn't gonna be at 154. Every time they called and tried to get out of it, we convinced them to stay. Then, Tuesday morning, they called and said Walter suffered an injury in training the last day," Ali continued. When Fighthype spoke to Wright Monday evening just before his training session, he said he was going to spar about 15 rounds.
Ali says his frustration is growing because he can't properly prepare Henry for taking the next step up in his career. "We work so hard. We have a strong team. Who was Walter preparing for trying to emulate Omar? They knew what was going on and they didn't want to do it. It's just frustrating because we're not getting the competition we need. I just want a guy that signs the contract 30, even 60 days out, and prepares for us. It doesn't do any good to keep fighting these guys on three days notice...I'm completely disappointed that we're gonna be fighting a poor soul...All these people talk bad about Omar. He needs that. To be an HBO fighter, you need the lovers and the haters, but we need the fights and I need to build up my fighter the correct way. Real competition doesn't want to test themselves, and top level fighters aren't going to do it because it's not lucrative for them," Ali added. "Look at Canelo. He fought a guy making his pro debut when he was 15-0. Let Omar try and do that. We would get bitched at. Omar is going to be a champion one way or the other. It's a benefit and courtesy to get the call 60 days out from a big time promoter. These guys are prizefighters. After that, I don't care what you want to say. You can't get it better than that. Everything we're doing now is 10-rounders. What more do you want...It's just frustrating because we're not getting the competition we like. The sport needs to produce somebody. We're not asking for easy fights. Eventually the pundits and press will force a fight. The best fights aren't happening when they should be and the real lovers of the sport get cheated. We're the losers."
Ali went on to say that he wants to prepare his fighter for every possible scenario against every possible type of opponent, so when Henry faces adversity, he will know how to handle it in the ring. "Me as a trainer, I want to show the world that he is knocking these guys out when they had full time to prepare. We can't make that point because these guys don't stick to the contract...I'm not going to switch the direction of my fighter's head. I need him at 54 because the next two fights are at 54 (July 28th on the Guerrero vs. Aydin undercard and August 11th on the Cloud vs. Pascal undercard). We're also fighting on the co-main event of the Karim Mayfield fight on ESPN2 on August 28th. Truth is, we fought once in six months and the doctor called it a headbutt. It was a gift. He needed to go to his corner and the guy said he couldn't see. To Omar's credit, he knew it was bullshit, and then the kid fought 15 days later. How can the commissioner allow him to fight 15 days later? If you suffer a cut, it's mandated that you can't fight for 60 days. It's just not right. He didn't want to fight. In between there, we sparred with Margarito and then Mayweather for three months, so Omar's been active. Then, we had two cards fall out in between the two camps. That was due from not having the opponents show up."
Henry is still scheduled to fight Saturday night, though his opponent has yet to be determined.
Email comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, "Like" The Boxing Observer on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter @BoxingObserver.