Moments ago, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez regained his crown, defeating Junior Dos Santos via unanimous decision in dominant fashion. Velasquez came out aggressive, looking to close the distance in hopes of securing the takedown. Dos Santos, however, was able to avoid and prevent any significant attempts for the majority of the first round. A big right hand towards the end of round 1, however, dropped Dos Santos and Velasquez immediately jumped on him to inflict more damage.
After that, it was all Velasquez as he controlled the action standing up and on the ground. Although Dos Santos would try to mount a comeback in the third round, it was clear that the pace of the fight had already taken its toll on him. Velasquez continued to land big shots that rearranged the face of Dos Santos while securing point-scoring takedowns. In the end, the judges scored the bout 50-45, 50-43, and 50-44 all in favor of Velasquez.
- Jim Miller def. Joe Lauzon via Unanimous Decision
- Constantinos Philippou def. Tim Boetsch via TKO in Round 3
- Yushin Okami def. Alan Belcher via Unanimous Decision
- Derek Brunson def. Chris Leben via Unanimous Decision
- Eddie Wineland def. Brad Pickett via Split Decision
- Erik Perez def. Byron Bloodworth via TKO in Round 1
- Jamie Varner def. Melvin Guillard via Split Decision
- Myles Jury def. Michael Johnson via Unanimous Decision
- Todd Duffee def. Philip De Fries via TKO in Round 1
- Max Holloway def. Leonard Garcia via Split Decision
- John Moraga def. Chris Cariaso via Submission (front headlock choke) in Round 3
[ Follow Ben Thompson on Twitter @fighthype ]