Moments ago at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, undefeated UFC middleweight contender Chris Weidman turned the world of Mixed Martial Arts upside down with a spectacular 2nd round knockout of pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva, bringing his 7-year reign as UFC middleweight champion to an end. Weidman took the fight to Silva immediately, scoring an early takedown that allowed him to land some good shots from the top position. As Silva looked to defend from his back, Weidman attempted a failed heel hook submission which allowed the former champion to escape and get back to his feet. Weidman would continue to press the action in the first round though as he tried to find a home for his punches. The elusive former champion, however, would duck and dodge many of the shots while taunting the challenger.
Silva came out a little more aggressive in the second round, but Weidman stuck to his game plan. Though his second takedown attempt was stuffed, he continued to let his hands go while Silva kept talking smack and telling him to bring it. Undeterred, Weidman obliged, landing a left hook that would graze the chin of Silva. As Silva again played games, acting as though he was hurt, he leaned back to his right where he was met with a second crushing left hook from Weidman that immediately floored him. Weidman followed that shot up with a devastating right hand that literally put the pound-for-pound champion to sleep before landing another left hook that woke him back up and left him grasping at the legs of the referee, who was already calling off the assault.
- Frankie Edgar def. Charles Oliveira via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Tim Kennedy def. Roger Gracie via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Mark Munoz def. Tim Boetsch via Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 29-28)
- Cub Swanson def. Dennis Siver via TKO in Round 3
- Andrew Craig def. Chris Leben via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Norman Parke def. Kazuki Tokudome via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Gabriel Gonzaga def. Dave Herman via KO in Round 1
- Edson Barboza def. Rafaello Oliveira via TKO in Round 2
- Brian Melancon def. Seth Baczynski via KO in Round 1
- Mike Pierce def. David Mitchell via TKO in Round 2